Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Tip Appliance Delivery Guys?

I’m having a dryer delivered/installed this week, and don’t know if should tip them. It’s from Home Depot, there will be two guys, they are delivering to the basement and hooking it up then hauling old one away.

What say you and how much?

by Anonymousreply 87June 27, 2019 6:42 PM

Depends on how hot they are.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2019 1:53 PM

a jackson, or don't bother, also depends on attitude and degree of helpfulness

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2019 1:55 PM

I do.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2019 1:55 PM

If there are two or more guys, do you hand them each cash or what?

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2019 1:58 PM

I let them tip me. And not just the tip, either!

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2019 1:59 PM

always a dilemma : usually in our area the driver and "boss" is a crusty old white guy who gives the orders to the strapping hispanic "helper" doing the heavy lifting. I separately give them both $20

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2019 2:01 PM

Yes, 20 bucks each...minimum.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2019 2:02 PM

If I'm not paying for shipping and installation, yes I'd tip them. The amount would be dependent upon how much effort they had to go through.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2019 2:07 PM

$20 each, at least. More if they're hot. The kitchen is on second floor, the washer and dryer are on the third floor, so they've earned it every time they put one of those suckers on their backs to bring it upstairs and put it in place. Just getting the last fridge (double doors) up the stairs was a challenge but they did it.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2019 2:09 PM

I always tip, and if they're delivering around the noon hour I fire up the grill and do burgers. I don't offer beer, but have a nice selection of sodas, they're always appreciative.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2019 2:20 PM

at least $50 if it's a hot guy delivering a mattress.....you never know

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2019 2:21 PM

If there's not much effort involved, no. For example, when my gas grill was delivered they just took it out of the truck and rolled it up my driveway. No tip.

But when they do more, like carry it up or down stairs, or connect it to a gas or water line, I tip.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2019 2:23 PM

Don't these cunts get paid to deliver this crap?

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2019 2:24 PM

R10. That seems awkward

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2019 2:24 PM

You know you should tip. You are asking for permission to be a cheap selfish prick.

Ask yourself this: how much would it be worth to you to have to pay someone to haul it from the street to your basement AND to have the old one removed? They earn between $11-20/hour. Enough for you? I didn't think so.

Permission denied, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2019 2:26 PM

Ask them if they're allowed to accept tips first. Best Buy delivered my appliances and when I offered a tip they said they were not allowed to take it.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2019 2:35 PM

with the head of my cock

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2019 2:37 PM

I ask them in for a Cafe Vienna and a nice warm bath.

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2019 2:43 PM

I agree with the posters above who said it depends on the situation. I generally err on the side of over-tipping because I have worked in service positions and know how poorly paid they are.

I had a freezer delivered from Home Depot a few months ago for my garage. There was no delivery fee and I was prepared to tip. The delivery drivers are contractors, not Home Depot employees, and it showed. They were pissed because they couldn’t get their truck down my driveway (they actually could but they didn’t bother to walk down it to see if they had room to turn around) and really banged up the freezer dragging it up to the house. They acted like they didn’t want to unbox it and take the cardboard with them but I made it clear what I expected and they, sullenly, did it.

I did not tip them. They were lucky I didn’t call and complain.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2019 3:13 PM

Depends upon the circumstances. If it's just an all around easy delivery with a dolly, then no. However, I once had an apartment over a garage. The landlord bought a new refrigerator for the apartment. The guys had to haul it up one long flight of stairs, but they didn't use a dolly. They actually harnessed it to themselves with straps and walked it up that long flight of stairs. Lots of strain and "Woa woa woa!" "I'm losing it!" "HOLD ON!" and so on so forth. Me: "If they slip, then at least one of them is dead." So then, in this case I handed them a ten or a twenty and told them to have lunch on me. The end.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2019 4:46 PM

r15 needs to dial down the inappropriate rage,

Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2019 4:52 PM

When I had a Home Depot washer and dryer delivered a couple years ago, the delivery and set up were done by a couple of louts from a local appliance outfit. They unboxed them in the driveway, scratching the dryer in the process. It was a very light scratch on the side, where the box cutter cut too deep. They called Home Depot, which offered a $75 credit, which I accepted. (The alternative was for them to take the dryer back and return with another, which would have taken a few days.) I did not tip.

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2019 4:57 PM

Why do stores not allow their delivery people to accept tips? That’s ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2019 5:12 PM

It's not important to me how hot they are, although I'm not blind nor a monk, but whether they're really professional acting nice guys in general. If they give off cold vibes, then I don't tip.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2019 5:17 PM

When I moved in to my place everything was new. Everything was delivered the same day, including multiple delivery people in the place at the same time, along with the windows treatment guy.

They were all friendly and efficient and definitely worked hard. I tipped them all a $20.

There was a snafu with the store from which I bought my dining room table an TV stand. I threw a mini-tantrum with the store and they managed to deliver at the tail end of the day. It was a Friday night at they showed up and assembled around 8pm and still had other deliveries. One of the guys (crew of 2) was really happy and friendly. The other was cold, almost rude. I almost didn't tip the latter, but I did because his buddy was more than pleasant enough and didn't want him to have to share or whatever from what I gave him.

Today, I probably wouldn't tip the cold dude.

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2019 5:24 PM

The guys who installed a new dishwasher for me were plumbers and likely each made more money last year that I did.

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2019 5:31 PM

Some people can barely afford the cost of the merchandise, let alone a tip.

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2019 5:48 PM

Dropping off - no tip

Bringing into apartment and installing- minimum $25 each.

If a hot day, I make sure I have cold bottles of water/Gatorade that they can take with them.

by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2019 5:58 PM

All the big stores contract out their delivery and hook up services to the lowest bidder which is usually 3 guys from south of the border who speak no English. They don't care about your e-stinkin washer and dryer or a proper hook up so one has to watch them closely.

I speak Spanish but I let these guys joke freely to each other about the two maricones until its time to leave when I make light conversation with them in Spanish. At this point we both know there will be no tip.

I'm Swiss. Can't believe how appalling services are in the States.

by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2019 6:01 PM

[quote]always a dilemma : usually in our area the driver and "boss" is a crusty old white guy who gives the orders to the strapping hispanic "helper" doing the heavy lifting. I separately give them both $20

Several years ago, I had a similar situation, but both guys were early- to mid-20s. The "boss" in this case was the stinkiest person I've ever encountered. I never knew a human body could smell that bad.

They both took out the old washer and brought in the new one. Then, the one who didn't smell like he died two weeks ago ran outside, presumably to breathe some fresh air before getting back in the truck with his stinky boss. That left me handing two tips ($20 each, I think) to the boss, specifying "a tip for each of you."

I still regret not going outside to deliver the assistant's tip myself. I am almost certain he didn't receive his share.

by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2019 6:07 PM

When I moved, I was instructed by the moving company to be ready by a 8:00 am sharp, the movers are on a tight scheduled, and can't afford to waste precious time. By 8:45, they were a no-show. I made a call, was told that they had several call offs that day and were short staffed, and would be there in two hours. Several more phone calls later, they finally showed up at 2:40 pm, and the movers were a couple of young kids who acted like total jerks, damaged some furniture, and managed to lose a couple boxes of my belongings.

I chose not to tip.

by Anonymousreply 31June 25, 2019 6:22 PM

Why not just give everyone extra money? The 7-Eleven clerk, the bus driver, your CPA. Where does it end?

by Anonymousreply 32June 25, 2019 6:34 PM

[quote] If a hot day, I make sure I have cold bottles of water/Gatorade that they can take with them.

Bless you, Uncle Bottom!

by Anonymousreply 33June 25, 2019 7:15 PM

[quote] I still regret not going outside to deliver the assistant's tip myself. I am almost certain he didn't receive his share.

You shouldn't feel that bad. The etiquette for delivery people is indeed that you give the boss the big tip, and he/she distributes it to the others.

Next time, though, if this is a real worry for you that he/she won't split it, give it to the boss when another worker can hear and say distinctly (so the worker can overhear), "This is to be split among you."

by Anonymousreply 34June 25, 2019 7:18 PM

R32 stop when they are coming to your for a service in my opinion, I always tip even if is not much, is a way to say "thank you".

by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2019 7:56 PM

[quote] Why do stores not allow their delivery people to accept tips? That’s ridiculous!

They don't want the delivery people making more than they are paying their management staff which is precious little.

by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2019 8:12 PM

I tipped the two Hispanic guys that delivered two upholstered chairs, a love seat and two ottomans from Mor Furniture $20. They were here at least 30 minutes unboxing and assembling the legs, etc. Later, I discovered that the damn bastards lifted my husband’s wallet, that he stupidly left out on the kitchen counter. We spent the next several days replacing his driver’s license, credit cards, health insurance cards, AAA card, Disneyland annual pass, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

by Anonymousreply 37June 26, 2019 12:23 AM

The delivery guys are being paid a really nice salary for having a job that involves ZERO THINKING and can do the same thing over and over again like it's a factory job and I already paid an exorbitant delivery fee, so no.

by Anonymousreply 38June 26, 2019 12:30 AM

Who tips people who are paid to do a job? Do you tip the nurse, who draws your blood? Your child's teacher? The bus driver? A helpful sales associate?

It isn't like waiters who make less than minimum wage and tips make up the difference. All companies should adopt a policy of not allowing them to accept tips, like Publix does with their baggers.

by Anonymousreply 39June 26, 2019 12:43 AM

It depends. Some of the guys really go above and beyond, while others just do the bare minimum. I usually offer a cold beverage, then give them some cash if they've been especially thorough and attentive.

by Anonymousreply 40June 26, 2019 1:01 AM

I had a beautiful credenza delivered to my condo. I had already paid $100 extra for delivery to my apt rather than curbside. The guys did a beautiful job getting t up in the elevator, unpacking and setting it up while I had to decide its exact placement. I was so thrilled with my beautiful credenza and the guys were great so I gave them each $40. I never skimp on tips. People work damn hard especially laborers. I sure as shit don't want to do manual labor.

I did not however tip the guys who delivered a new fridge. They were a pain in the ass and had to remove a cabinet door to get it in and then haphazardly neglected to put the door back properly and made a mess. I think they even lost screws. They also didn't finish taking plastic off the fridge. They were just trying to do it and get gone. Fine. Bye - no tip.

by Anonymousreply 41June 26, 2019 2:16 AM

[quote]People work damn hard especially laborers. I sure as shit don't want to do manual labor

Yeah but these delivery guys are being paid far more than a typical labourer's salary. You do realize that, don't you?

And they're probably going to be "making fun of the fag" as they walk out the door.

by Anonymousreply 42June 26, 2019 2:25 AM

r39, I have tipped nurses, typically 40.00 per day when I've been hospitalized for a week at a time. I give them a handwritten card with cash enclosed, so they wouldn't know I'm giving them cash until I'm gone...

by Anonymousreply 43June 26, 2019 2:28 AM

R42, I guess I just don't really know what they make. How much is it?

R43, you tip NURSES? Do you mean Nursing Assistants? Cause real professional RNs can easily make $75K-100K and even more in some places depending on their degrees and experience. I can't imagine an RN accepting a tip. That's like tipping a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 44June 26, 2019 2:33 AM

We’re getting a new fridge tomorrow and I’m stressing out over where I’m going to keep all the food while we make the switch. Now I find out I have to tip them too!

by Anonymousreply 45June 26, 2019 2:51 AM

R27: "Some people can barely afford the cost of the merchandise, let alone a tip."

If that is the case, they have to pick up the merchandise themselves. You do not get to steal other people's labor. In the world we have devolved to, where people do not earn a livable wage, tips are not merely nice, they are desperately needed to survive. Not exageration. Try living on minimum wage and that is what all manual labor jobs are now.

Seriously, entitled gaylings. Pull your heads out of your asses and grow some empathy.

by Anonymousreply 46June 26, 2019 2:51 PM

I would definitely tip this delivery guy -- for fucking me senseless!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 26, 2019 2:57 PM

R46 that was unnecessary. So someone’s major appliance goes out, and they have to scrape together the funds (or out on credit) in an emergency situation, but you’re saying if they can’t afford another $20-100 to tip people they’ll never see again AND are getting paid to work, then they are “stealing” labor? Give me a fucking break.

How about the employees pay a living wage to begin with? Why is it up to the customer, who’s already out hundreds or even thousands of dollars, to supplement the workers income?

Seriously, die in a grease fire. Or better yet, become paralyzed in a grease fire, live in savings and disability, and try picking up a refrigerator by yourself at the appliance store.

by Anonymousreply 48June 26, 2019 3:01 PM

Slightly off topic, but I remember when we moved into a nice high rise in NYC, having always lived in houses before. On December 1, we got a friendly note in our doors wishing us a happy holiday season, and that if we chose to tip the building staff, below are the names and titles of everyone. It was like 20-30 people!! We paid more in tips for the staff, many of whom we never saw, than we did on each other that year.

Tipping in the US is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 49June 26, 2019 3:13 PM

I lost a pre-paid gas card &, 2 weeks later, found it, unused at my “filling” station. I had about $68 on it. I’d like to do something for the employees to show my appreciation. Any suggestions? Or do you think it’s unnecessary?

by Anonymousreply 50June 26, 2019 3:45 PM

Ten bucks each is fine.

by Anonymousreply 51June 26, 2019 3:53 PM

R50 I’m sure they’ve already forgotten about it, let it go

by Anonymousreply 52June 26, 2019 3:56 PM

If you work a job where a portion of your wages is tips you should go into it knowing that some will tip and some won't. Just as a person who works outside knows some days it will rain and some days it won't, bitching about it isn't going to change either of those situations.

by Anonymousreply 53June 26, 2019 4:00 PM

A furniture store where I live, in an area with a low cost of living, is currently advertising for a delivery position at $20.20/hour. Anyone who gets that much an hour, doesn't NEED tips.

by Anonymousreply 54June 26, 2019 4:08 PM

They need NIPS

by Anonymousreply 55June 26, 2019 4:08 PM

I’m always extra generous for those having to carry heavy stuff for a living as I hate doing that.

by Anonymousreply 56June 26, 2019 4:27 PM

Tip them or they'll come back and kill you in your sleep.

by Anonymousreply 57June 26, 2019 4:30 PM

10 bucks each - handed to each one - so that one guy doesn't walk off with it all

by Anonymousreply 58June 26, 2019 4:32 PM

Why is it the burden of the consumer to pay for labor? You are kidding, right? You want that cheap chinese washer, fine. But don't expect the displaced factory worker to wrench his back delivering it to you for free, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 59June 26, 2019 4:47 PM

$20 tip

by Anonymousreply 60June 26, 2019 5:38 PM

Cheap, fat sows.

by Anonymousreply 61June 26, 2019 5:40 PM

R59 Their not delivering it for free, they are being paid by their employer.

by Anonymousreply 62June 26, 2019 9:17 PM

Good God, OP, no, you do not. Tipping these people just ruins it for everyone else.

Tip waiters, cab drivers, food delivery. Not these guys.

by Anonymousreply 63June 26, 2019 9:45 PM

When I was a paperboy, I got tips.

When I delivered and installed air conditioners, I never got tips. I don’t recall a single one.

by Anonymousreply 64June 26, 2019 10:07 PM

I gave them each $20 bucks. Terrible job.

by Anonymousreply 65June 26, 2019 10:13 PM

Let other people tip the waiters generously they make enough money!

- my elderly mother the last of the 5 cent tippers

by Anonymousreply 66June 26, 2019 10:23 PM

Big correction for some of you: the delivery guys are most likely subcontracted for a low wage. So there is no "employer" paying them a generous "salary", or providing benefits or even guaranteeing they'll work a certain number of hours. They're likely working as independent contractors/day workers for slightly above minimum wage on an hourly basis.

That's true even if the firm that hires them is being well-paid, and true no matter how exorbitant the delivery fee you paid was.

Yes, tip. If they don't do the job well, tip less (i.e. the scratches, unpleasant attitude). But also, if they do the job extra well be prepared to tip more.

by Anonymousreply 67June 26, 2019 10:40 PM

I also tip:

Hairstylist

Paperboy (I no longer have one)

House cleaner

Rolfer

I suppose a few others.

I used to tip the movers. I hire a crane occasionally to take things in and out of my house, but they ripped me off a couple times so I don’t tip anymore. And they charge an outrageous amount.

I had contractors working on a big job at my house once, and I tipped the 2 workers $100 each. Last year, I gave my contractor $50. But I wouldn’t do so if he didn’t do a lot of work for me.

My neighborhood gentrified and I was at the dry cleaner’s when someone came in and gave the guy, the owner, a $20. That’s the guy who is wrecking it for the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 68June 26, 2019 11:42 PM

Back when I was still renting, I needed to replace my refrigerator so I bought a reconditioned one from a local Mom and Pop store. They sent two teenagers with a hand truck to deliver it. I'ts very likely this was their first job, and first delivery ever. I lived on the second floor, so they had to hump it up one flight of stairs. I offered to help, but they said "We got this!" So I stood in my doorway watching them struggle. At one point, they lost their balance and the fridge toppled over onto the kid higher on the stairs, pinning him to the stairs while the kid below lacked the leverage to free his partner. I went down and unpinned him, and pretty much lugged the fridge up the stairs by myself. They were really grateful, and nice and funny about it so of course I gave them each a twenty even though they should have been tipping me.

by Anonymousreply 69June 26, 2019 11:46 PM

I was at a restaurant once, with a date, when the waiter deliberately spilled fish juices on me. I didn’t want to even pay for the meal, never mind tip! I was flexible on the dinner, I mean, I paid for my meal, but didn’t tip. My friend was a waiter and insisted on tipping, but he didn’t have fish juice all over him.

I thought at the time, 30 years ago, that it was an anti-Gay thing.

by Anonymousreply 70June 26, 2019 11:49 PM

"Louts" is possible the best maiden aunt-ism thus far. Well done R22

And you tip appliance delivery guys as a way of reminding yourself how lucky you are not to be doing that sort of back breaking physical work

by Anonymousreply 71June 26, 2019 11:51 PM

Id present hole with a hundred between my thighs

by Anonymousreply 72June 26, 2019 11:53 PM

People who balk at tipping delivery guys reveal themselves to be cheap eldergays. In this day and age, there is no longer a well-paid delivery guy. That went the way of Ozzy and Harriet.

by Anonymousreply 73June 26, 2019 11:54 PM

They're likely the same people from the tipping hotel maids thread R73. That one blew me away.

by Anonymousreply 74June 26, 2019 11:56 PM

Tip your Mayor! Tip your Governor! The street lights should have slots to put money in--they are keeping you safe! Oh dear, when is all the tipping going to stop? If you preform a good service... maybe. YOU CHOSE THIS JOB MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 75June 27, 2019 12:00 AM

R73 So you want the average guy to pick up the tab for the corporate world that under pays its workers? GTF outta here.

by Anonymousreply 76June 27, 2019 12:00 AM

I asked my grocery delivery guy if other people tip. They always say “some do, some don’t”.

At Xmas, I gave my grocery guy chocolate kisses inside a little decorative bag, with decorative tissue paper, and he started to cry. He said “no one does this”. I didn’t give a bigger monetary tip than usual, because they are often different guys.

by Anonymousreply 77June 27, 2019 12:04 AM

1/10 R77

by Anonymousreply 78June 27, 2019 12:06 AM

Don’t be rude, R78.

He’s a middle aged gay guy and works hard.

And I’m having chocolate kisses as I type.

by Anonymousreply 79June 27, 2019 12:11 AM

Tipping furniture or appliance delivery people is generally not done nor is it expected. If the delivery or installation is unusually difficult--and you can afford it--then offering a tip seems reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 80June 27, 2019 12:59 AM

Well they just delivered the dryer, hooked it up and took away old one. Took less than 10 minutes, but out of guilt from this thread, I tipped them both $20. They each looked stunned, like they were confused what was happening.

I feel like a fool now.

by Anonymousreply 81June 27, 2019 2:31 PM

^^i mean I tipped them each $20, and there were two of them

by Anonymousreply 82June 27, 2019 2:32 PM

I told you, OP!

It really does make me a little angry, because I am serious when I write that overtipping really does ruin it for the rest of us.

In my gentrified neighborhood, I don’t mine tipping a buck or two to the young people who work at the local bakery and serve the overpriced whatnot, because I know them, sort of. But I do think it’s ridiculous that the charge screen gives multiple options for tipping that start, I think, at 15% and go up to something like 50%. My bill might typically be $40 for meatloaf, potatoes, and pastries. I’m not going to tip $6 or more for counter service.

I’m sorry you feel like a fool, R81. Lesson learned for next time!

by Anonymousreply 83June 27, 2019 3:13 PM

OP, make sure you check that the hot and cold water are connected to the proper lines. My guys mixed them up the last time, and I had to disconnect and reconnect them correctly, myself

by Anonymousreply 84June 27, 2019 3:15 PM

R84. It’s a dryer they didn’t touch the washer

by Anonymousreply 85June 27, 2019 3:52 PM

They don’t make a lot of money.

If they do a good job and are friendly, tip generously.

At least $20 each.

They have families too.

by Anonymousreply 86June 27, 2019 6:36 PM

No, we don't tip in my country.

by Anonymousreply 87June 27, 2019 6:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!