Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cellar Spider Babies

A cellar spider was living in the corner of my bathroom by the shower. I noticed it appears to have had babies. They’re hanging in a web it appears. Will the be safe if I hit leave them there? How’s long until the crawl away? This picture is exactly what I’ve got going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 25, 2019 1:33 PM

Perhaps mama spider will weave an answer to your questions OP.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2019 9:32 AM

That pic looks like daddy long legs. They are said to be lucky! Leave them be... (I've had them before, and I view them like pets!) They will eat any grats or flies you have, and they are delicate and lovely!

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2019 9:40 AM

OP, oh god, leave them alone! Everything r2 said. In many cultures, including my own, it is bad luck to harm house spiders. They are doing good work, and are friendly. It also give the house a cozy vibe. If you *must* have them shuttled out due to people who don't get it, e.g. your landlord doing an inspection, explain to the spiders that they have to take a powder. A day after that, (you will be surprised how few left you see) GENTLY swiffer them down, detach the disposable swiffer head, complete with live spiders and web and leave it outside so they can hoof (leg?) it. I swear they will come back when you tell them the coast is clear. This sounds insane. I am one of the least new age assholes you will ever know, but I'm also an eldergay. I have seen this happen many times over 5 decades. Trust me.

7 years ago, even though under strict orders not to, my then roommate used a bug bomb to get rid of some ants. A. So fucking useless, and B. It didn't kill the ants (of course not) but it killed my beloved spiders. Only these many years later are they coming back. When that went down, I literally mourned. I went full Mary! and even cried. They really can feel like pets. There are some bad ones depending on where you live, of course, but for the most part, they help with "housekeeping" and feel a part of the family as it were.

Tell your spider how happy and proud of them you are about the babies, and wish the babies a warm welcome, then go about your day. I have a feeling something cozy will happen in return for your good thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2019 10:07 AM

Bless you, OP, for your kindness to precious little citizens!

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2019 10:14 AM

R5, you can tell yourself whatever you want but you are definitely a fucking weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2019 10:20 AM

I love OP and r3

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2019 10:25 AM

I leave my house spiders alone for the most part. They are handy for taking care of gnats and mosquitoes that follow me indoors.

I only clear them out when their hunting success is so great that they start leaving noticeable amounts of spider poop below their webs.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2019 10:37 AM

[quote] I literally mourned. I went full Mary! and even cried.

I can't type MARY! big enough to cover this one.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2019 10:53 AM

I totally get it. Everyone enjoy. I knew where I was posting, and I deserve all of the heckling. Go ahead, pour on the hissing. But...

I AM NOT ASHAMED!

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2019 11:47 AM

Awww, how cute. I love babies.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2019 12:54 PM

Those aren't spider "babies", they are prey the spider caught in its web.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2019 1:13 PM

r11 No, that's not prey. A prey that's been eaten gets cut off so it falls to the ground. Those are all baby spiders, as you can see from their legs. It would be unusual for a spider to catch so many other spiders, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2019 1:46 PM

Arachnid queens like the one at r3 are some of the rarest of all queens, and very previous because of that.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2019 1:48 PM

It's okay, R3. R5 dissed themself.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2019 1:50 PM

*very PRECIOUS, dear Lord

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2019 1:53 PM

I would be spraying the fuck out of that whole bathroom, and probably my house. Kill them, kill them all.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2019 1:57 PM

R5 don't belittle yourself. Let others do that.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 2:08 PM

OP, are you a hoarder? Do you have a nest of rats in the kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2019 2:40 PM

We hope Mary r16 sprays Raid on herself!

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2019 2:54 PM

I don’t want to get rid of them I just want to make sure the babies don’t drown because they’re right by the shower. I feel a deep spiritual connection to spiders too. The mama appeared the day after I had to put my cat to sleep and it felt reassuring. I just noticed the babies yesterday. When I was at the vets office with my cat they took her in the back room to take blood for a minute and a spider dropped down on a web right in front of me. Then just before everybody came back in it went back up to the ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2019 6:19 PM

I'm okay with house spiders but there are a couple right now in an area I have to paint and I don't know what to do. Send them an eviction notice? I don't want to kill them!

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2019 7:16 PM

[quote]They will eat any grats or flies you have

They can eat as many flies they want, but the grats are all mine.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2019 7:19 PM

Those "babies" look more like kidnap victims.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 7:26 PM

I love this thread, thanks OP.

And r3, you too

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2019 8:06 PM

OP, I can't help but feel you need more in your life.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2019 8:06 PM

This is your only option OP...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2019 8:33 PM

OP, get another cat.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2019 9:30 PM

Are they studying for their SATS...they'll never get into a good college if they don't study!

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2019 9:45 PM

The mom left will the babies be okay?

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2019 9:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2019 9:50 PM

I'm with the upthreader who said kill them all.

Seriously, they're spiders, kill them all.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2019 10:02 PM

You people are all fucking nuts.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2019 10:33 PM

[quote]The mom left will the babies be okay?

You must nurse them at your bosoms OP.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2019 10:35 PM

Ew , I don't do bugs or insects in the house. If I see ya, I kill ya.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2019 12:36 AM

Char. Lotte. Charlotte. Name them all differently.

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2019 2:04 AM

Moms still gone so I guess they’re on there own now. She was there for three weeks I thought she was dead until she left. They’re moving around a lot too.

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2019 8:24 AM

[quote]I feel a deep spiritual connection to spiders too.

Is there a gas leak or something around here? Seriously, what the fuck is going on with all these posters getting weepy over spiders?

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2019 10:56 AM

Shellar Shpider Babeesh

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2019 11:29 AM

Haters gon hate r37

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2019 5:05 AM

THe babies are pretty big now and slowly dispersing. I think I’ll get a new cat when they’re all safely hidden. I saw the mama a few days ago walking around but she’s gone.

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2019 2:51 AM

Uh, move, OP!

by Anonymousreply 41June 25, 2019 2:58 AM

OP, I’m sorry about your cat.

by Anonymousreply 42June 25, 2019 3:00 AM

I take a no prisoners / no quarter approach to insects in the house. I would have eradicated those spiders right away.

by Anonymousreply 43June 25, 2019 3:14 AM

Can I come in the house too?

by Anonymousreply 44June 25, 2019 3:23 AM

There's a nice spot for them inside of my vacuum canister.

by Anonymousreply 45June 25, 2019 3:26 AM

Some great advice here. While I find The Simpsons to be dull, there are moments. My husband and I will sing "Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does" when any sort of bad shit happens in the house. It seems to help. Should we turn in our gay card for how stupid that is? Sure, here you go, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 46June 25, 2019 3:36 AM

What a bunch of nutters. That thing and all its spawn would be sprayed to smithereens within minutes in my house.

by Anonymousreply 47June 25, 2019 3:50 AM

R3, good for you. Have you ever looked up peacock spiders? They live in Australia and have gorgeous "tails" that they display in courtship as part of a dance they do. I'm not good at linking, but there's lots of YouTube stuff.

by Anonymousreply 48June 25, 2019 4:03 AM

Those are great!

by Anonymousreply 49June 25, 2019 1:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!