Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mediocre movies that you remember, but nobody else does-Part II

Previous thread

Keep talking about those past mediocre movies from the past that you remember.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205October 23, 2019 2:06 PM

Anywhere But Here- Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman play a mother and daughter who move to LA.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2019 4:20 AM

Prophecy (1979)

A log company's toxic waste mutates the environment, creating a giant killer bear-monster.

The cast includes Talia Shire, Robert Foxworth and Armand Assante.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2019 4:33 AM

The Last of the Dogmen- Tom Berenger and Barbara Hershey find a tribe of Native Americans living in seclusion in Montana.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2019 4:39 AM

Valentine (2001)- slasher revenge movie. A lot of horror fans hated it, but I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2019 3:08 PM

Windows. Shrink Elizabeth Ashley becomes obsessed with patient Talia Shire. Only film legend Gordon Willis directed.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2019 3:46 PM

Jagged Edge - starring DL fave Glenn Close

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2019 4:09 PM

R4 Valentine was great fun. I'm glad it's starting to develop a cult fanbase a bit.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2019 5:28 PM

Silent Scream with Yvonne DeCarlo and Barbara Steele. The trailer alone was terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2019 5:30 PM

Scavenger Hunt (1979) - a C- and D-list cast race around San Diego trying to win Vincent Price’s estate. I loved this as a kid but tried to watch it recently and it was a chore. That cast though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2019 6:14 PM

“Physical Evidence” with Burt Reynolds and Theresa Russell

“Getting It Right”, a sweet coming-of-age story with Jesse Birdsall, Helena Bonham-Carter, Jane Horrocks and Lynn Redgrave

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2019 6:26 PM

Marathon Man

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2019 6:47 PM

“Wives and Lovers” with Janet Leigh, Van Johnson, Shelley Winters, Martha Hyer and Ray Walston. Winters plays a more sophisticated character than usual and is also much more restrained than usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2019 6:53 PM

The Queen of Babylon, starring Rhonda Fleming and Ricardo Montalban. Ultra-cheesy historical drama. Glorious.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2019 6:58 PM

The Sins of Jezebel, with queens George Nader and John Hoyt

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2019 7:40 PM

"Impulse" with Meg Tilly and Tim Matheson.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2019 10:42 PM

R15 reminded me of another one from the early 80s - “Endangered Species” with JoBeth Williams and Robert Urich. Kind of a proto- X Files conspiracy thriller about cattle mutilations.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2019 11:13 PM

Endangered Species was good for getting a brief glimpse of Robert Urich naked.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 11:16 PM

Having A Wild Weekend (1965) starring the Dave Clark 5 but really only Dave Clark. It was actually a drama.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2019 11:24 PM

Career Opportunities. Stars Frank Whaley, Jennifer Connolly, John Candy and Dermot Mulroney. Came out in 1991.

Whaley's character is a janitor who gets locked inside a Target for the night. Connolly is also stuck inside the store.

No one seems to remember this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2019 11:25 PM

Oops. Here's the real trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2019 11:26 PM

Off Beat (1986) starring Judge Reinhold and Meg Tilly

Only The Lonely (1991) starring John Candy, Maureen O'Hara and Ally Sheedy

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2019 11:29 PM

Career Opportunities was written and co-produced by John Hughes but it is mostly forgotten - much like Hughes’ Dutch and Curly Sue from the same year. I had fallen in love with Jennifer Connelly in The Rocketeer (well, her and Bill Campbell) so I sought out Career Opportunities but I don’t remember much about it.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2019 11:40 PM

Mona Lisa Smile

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 11:44 PM

I remember Career Opportunities

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2019 2:17 AM

Dad starring Ted Danson and Jack Lemmon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2019 2:38 AM

I’d forgotten “Career Opportunities”, but that trailer above reminded me of it. Weren’t they skating around the store to a Betty Boo song?

Another obscure one is “Blue”, a strange 1968 Western that was director Silvio Narizzano’s follow-up to “Georgy Girl”. Robert Redford walked out after agreeing to do the film and was replaced by Terence Stamp (!!) Stamp doesn’t speak for the first forty five minutes of the movie and when he finally does, his struggle with an American accent is very evident. Also with Joanna Pettet, Karl Malden, Ricardo Montalban, and the gaudiest nighttime skies ever committed to film.

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2019 3:54 AM

sibling rivalry. Summer school. Madhouse.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2019 4:23 AM

Watched Roxy Carmichael the other night. It's actually quite decent despite the unbelievable plot. Winona Ryder plays the intelligent outcast, which was a role she made famous at the time. The film feels very Burtonesque, but throws in a Mellissa Etheridge soundtrack and even a lesbian subplot. Winona's love interest is adorably whipped for her and the friendship she forms with her female guidance counselor is also very touching. Jeff Daniels credibly plays a middle aged loser, a role he was typecast in as well. It's a quirky film with lots of flaws but worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2019 5:27 PM

Does anyone remember "Harlequin"? My mom used to let me take 2 friends for a nice dinner and a movie for my birthday every year and this was the film I chose for my 9th birthday. For my 11th birthday, I chose "The Entity" starring Barbara Hershey. I believe that year was the end of said birthday tradition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2019 5:43 PM

Dragonfly- supernatural move that starred Kevin Costner, Kathy Bates, and Linda Hunt in a small role

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2019 8:50 PM

Autumn in New York- romance movie that paired Richard Gere and Winona Ryder together. Vera Farmiga played the daughter of Gere's character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2019 8:08 PM

Night of he Lepus (1972) - giant killer bunny rabbits. starring Stuart Whitman, Janet Leigh and Rory Calhoun.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2019 8:11 PM

The Mystery of the Bloody Tampon with Allison Williams and Charo.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2019 8:17 PM

The Mind of Mr Soames, a mediocrity starring the lovely Terence Stamp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2019 8:17 PM

[quote] Only The Lonely (1991) starring John Candy, Maureen O'Hara and Ally Sheedy

That was just on cable about a week or two ago.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2019 8:18 PM

R35 Yes, and it isn't mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2019 9:49 PM

Play It to The Bone- boxing movie with Antonio Banderas, Woody Harleson, Lolita Davidovich, Lucy Liu, and Tom Sizemore

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2019 3:57 AM

Hello Again..shelly Long chokes and dies and brought back to life by her sister.

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2019 12:51 PM

Back in the day, when HBO wasn't on 24 hours a day and they seemed to have a limited library, it would show "Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe" constantly.

I think I watched it every time it was on, and when we got a VCR that was probably the size of our sectional couch, it was the very first thing I recorded.

I just thought it was the most glamorous movie every, and it made me want to order a "bombe" for dessert in a fancy restaurant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 27, 2019 1:09 PM

Once Around

by Anonymousreply 40June 27, 2019 1:18 PM

Harry and Walter Go to New York

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2019 1:49 PM

“Banning” from 1967. Drama and romance among the country-club set. Features a terrific Oscar-nominated song by Quincy Jones, “The Eyes of Love”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2019 7:44 PM

Youngblood- 80s hockey movie that starred Rob Lowe.

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2019 11:51 PM

R40, I love Once Around. I haven’t seen it in ages.

by Anonymousreply 44July 1, 2019 12:08 AM

Mediocre would be high praise for this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 1, 2019 12:42 AM

Alexander: The Other Side of Dawn (tv 1970's)

A teenaged boy arrives in Hollywood to become a movie star, but winds up becoming a male prostitute and gets involved with a gay football star. With, wait for it, Eve Plumb as his girlfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 1, 2019 12:49 AM

“The Manitou” starring Tony Curtis, Burgess Meredith, and Susan Strasberg. “Alien” was the same movie, but way more popular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 1, 2019 1:07 AM

Dominick and Eugene with Tom Hulce and Ray Liotta as a working class garbageman who's semi-mentally challenged and his very intelligent brother--they're orphans and Liotta wants to go to med school and Hulce wants to pay for him. They take a shower together which my teenaged self thought was hot AF

Actually thought it was much better than mediocre at the time but wondering if it will hold up

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2019 1:12 AM

Forgot the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2019 1:13 AM

Cop Land with Stallone, DeNiro, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Cathy Moriarty, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2019 1:15 AM

Bonnie's costume and wig are hideous.

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2019 1:19 AM

R48 I remember that movie. Jamie Lee Curtis played Liotta's love interest and I thought they were mismatched.

by Anonymousreply 52July 1, 2019 1:23 AM

My Life In Ruins is comedy with Nia Vardolos as a tour guide in Greece, the dude from The Durrells as the coach driver and an assorted group of ethnic stereotypes as the passengers.

I watch it once a year.

by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2019 1:31 AM

The Cure(1995) starring Brad Renfro, Joseph Mazzello, Annabella, and Diana Scarwid. Mazzello's character played a kid who became infected with HIV through a blood transfusion and he befriends Renfro's character.

by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2019 1:31 AM

Agree R52

She was a wealthy fellow med student who understood his special relationship with Hulce.

by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2019 1:33 AM

R9 there was an actor with the first name 'Scatman?

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2019 1:59 AM

Lorenzo's Oil

The Charlie Sheen/Kiefer Sutherland version of The Three Musketeers

The Man Without a Face

Sommersby - featuring Jodie Foster and Richard Gere as the world's least likely romantic pairing

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2019 3:06 AM

Wolfen and Looker - an Albert Finney double feature

by Anonymousreply 58July 1, 2019 12:15 PM

Every queen with a tv in the 70s watched Alexander. Nobody forgot it. We also knew it was a sequel to Dawn Portrait of a Teenage Runaway starring Miss Eve Plumb.

by Anonymousreply 59July 1, 2019 1:11 PM

Shadow of the Vampire (2000), laughably schlocky fictional retelling of the filming of classic silent horror film Nosferatu. In this version, Max Shrek the actor playing Nosferatu, turns out to actually [italic]be[/italic] a real vampire who ends up killing most of the cast and crew.

John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe together both camp up the screen like no other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 1, 2019 3:02 PM

Let it Be Me

by Anonymousreply 61July 1, 2019 4:15 PM

Whoops, fucked that up at r61

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 1, 2019 4:15 PM

Clifford with Martin Short. Bizarre. He brought it up on his recent tour with Steve Martin and I was literally the only person in the audience (in a pretty large venue) who clapped.

by Anonymousreply 63July 1, 2019 4:17 PM

Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights

by Anonymousreply 64July 1, 2019 4:19 PM

There were several 90s sports related movies that have been pretty much forgotten.

Eddie- Whoopi Goldberg's character becomes coach of the New York Knicks

Little Big League was that kids movie where the kid becomes owner/manager of the Minnesota Twins after his grandfather dies.

Celtic Pride the movie where nutcase Celtic fans Daniel Stern and Dan Akroyd kidnap the star of a rival team.

The Scout- baseball movie with Brendan Fraser and Albert Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 65July 1, 2019 4:22 PM

R63 I remember that movie being advertise in the spring of 1994. I was 14 then and briefly considered going to see it because I thought it was going to be a live action movie of Clifford the Big Red Dog, which I enjoyed reading as a kid. But according to the TV spots Martin Short played a spoiled 10-year-old or some shit like that. It looked too bizarre, as you said.

by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2019 4:24 PM

^ Don't forget The Fan (Robert DeNiro as an obsessed sports fan), Rookie of the Year (silly kids movie about a Little Leaguer who joins the big leagues), and the shitty Angels in the Outfield remake

by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2019 4:28 PM

Can't forget Little Big League. A young kid's grandpa(Jason Robards) dies and he inherits the Minnesota Twins. He was cute and owned a baseball team, I was all about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2019 4:31 PM

I see r65 now. Kill me

by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2019 4:33 PM

"A Kid in King Arthur's Court" (1995)

Probably only memorable now for featuring Daniel Craig and Kate Winslet very early in their careers. I had a thing for Thomas Ian Nicholas at the time, so I watched it, as well as the direct-to-video sequel "A Kid in Aladdin's Palace."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 1, 2019 4:41 PM

R67 I forgot about The Fan. I remember For The Love of the Game which starred Kevin Costner as an aging baseball pitcher and Kelly Preston as his love interest.

Another 90s sports movie that is forgotten is The Sixth Man. It was about two brothers Kadeem Harrison and Marlon Wayons who played college basketball. Kadeem's character dies early in the film and comes back as a ghost to help his brother and the team.

by Anonymousreply 71July 1, 2019 4:42 PM

[quote] I had a thing for Thomas Ian Nicholas at the time

As did most gaylings at the time. He was really hot in the American Pie movies.

by Anonymousreply 72July 1, 2019 4:43 PM

R66 it is strange but surreal and hilarious. Charles Grodin as an uncle with Martin Short playing a conniving, evil 10 year old with a dinosaur obsession.

by Anonymousreply 73July 1, 2019 4:43 PM

R67 Most people probably don't know that the movie got a made for TV sequel starring a young Matthew Lawrence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 1, 2019 4:47 PM

On the subject of sports related movies, there was Air Bud and its sequels.

by Anonymousreply 75July 1, 2019 4:50 PM

Add me to the list of gaylings who loved Thomas Ian Nicholas

by Anonymousreply 76July 1, 2019 4:51 PM

R60 I LOVED Shadow of the Vampire when it came out.

by Anonymousreply 77July 1, 2019 4:54 PM

I remember that period in the 90s when a bunch of sports movies targeted to kids were made. As a kid I liked those movies and had VHS copies of Angels In The Outfield, The Mighty Ducks movies, Little Giants, The Sandlot, and Rookie of the Year. As an adult I saw how awful those movies were, but some of them are still entertaining.

R74 I remember that made for TV movie. There was a period in the 90s where ABC did TV movie remakes of a few 70s Disney movies like Freaky Friday and Escape to Witch Mountain. The remakes would premiere on ABC and then the Disney Channel would reair them a bunch of times. The Freaky Friday remake starred Shelly Long and Gabby Hoffmann and the Escape to Witch Mountain remake featured a young Elisabeth Moss as one of the twins.

by Anonymousreply 78July 1, 2019 5:04 PM

R78 The Mighty Ducks and The Sandlot both have attained cult status but those sequels were truly mediocre or awful.

by Anonymousreply 79July 1, 2019 5:09 PM

I like D2: The Mighty Ducks, but I hated the third movie. The direct to DVD sequels to The Sandlot were awful.

A Sandlot sequel series is in the works for Disney + . The original cast is supposedly to be coming back and it's set in the 1980s when the guys are in their 30s and have their own kids.

by Anonymousreply 80July 1, 2019 6:01 PM

Thomas Ian Nicholas! Man, that's a name from the past. I was a kid when those movies came out and I had such a crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 81July 1, 2019 6:50 PM

Another mediocre forgotten kids movie of the 90s. The Babysitters Club adaptation that starred Sissy Spacek's spawn Schuyler Fisk and Rachael Leigh Cook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 1, 2019 7:01 PM

The Temp - starring Lara Flynn Boyle

by Anonymousreply 83July 1, 2019 7:06 PM

Are Casper and Twister considered mediocre? I sure do remember loving them as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 84July 1, 2019 7:07 PM

I remember many critics panned Twister. But, audiences loved it and it was a high grossing film.

by Anonymousreply 85July 1, 2019 7:11 PM

TWISTER and CASPER are still remembered. The former is a favorite of many storm chasers/enthusiasts, and the latter was childhood viewing for many.

by Anonymousreply 86July 1, 2019 7:16 PM

Twister was the movie event of 1996, until Independence Day stole its thunder. ID4 was #1 for the year, and Twister was #2.

by Anonymousreply 87July 1, 2019 7:17 PM

Twister and Casper still air quite a bit on cable. Casper usually gets aired every year around Halloween.

I remember the previously mentioned movies like Dominick and Eugene and The Man Without A Face being aired quite a bit on cable years ago. I haven't seen either one in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 88July 1, 2019 7:27 PM

Penelope. Natalie Wood starred as a rich bankers wife holds up his bank and is a kleptomaniac and steals all their rich friends jewels. Dick Shawn plays her psychiatrist.

by Anonymousreply 89July 1, 2019 7:35 PM

[quote]Don't forget The Fan (Robert DeNiro as an obsessed sports fan)

I think I speak for all of DL when I say there’s only one film titled The Fan worth remembering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 1, 2019 8:43 PM

[quote][R60] I LOVED Shadow of the Vampire when it came out.

So did I, R77. I think it's a masterpiece. Camp in the very best way. The scene where Max Schreck is sitting with the film crew having lunch is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 91July 2, 2019 6:41 PM

De-Lovely

by Anonymousreply 92July 3, 2019 3:30 AM

Random Hearts (1999) with Kristin Scott Thomas and Harrison Ford

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 3, 2019 4:16 AM

Lost Souls (2000) -- Winona Ryder plays some Catholic paranormal woman investigating a man who she believes is the anti-Christ on earth. Demonic possession/devil movies were in during this period apparently.

by Anonymousreply 94July 3, 2019 4:20 AM

Stigmata Horse Whisperer Scarlett J first movie.

by Anonymousreply 95July 3, 2019 12:41 PM

R78 and don't forget The Big Green- a movie about kids starting a soccer team in rural Texas. They suck until an undocumented kid named Juan joins the team, but then the rival team threatens to deport him.

It starred the fat kid and Squints from The Sandlot. And Steve Guttenberg.

by Anonymousreply 96July 3, 2019 1:07 PM

I loved Stigmata. Gabriel Byrne was a priest I would definitely fuck.

by Anonymousreply 97July 3, 2019 1:08 PM

Stopover Tokyo with robt wagner….sexy when ur 9....

by Anonymousreply 98July 3, 2019 1:10 PM

Solar Babies. It's from 1986 and I remember a sexy young Adrian Pasdar and rollerblades.

by Anonymousreply 99July 3, 2019 1:24 PM

Speaking of shitty sports movies for kids.....how about Ladybugs, starring Rodney Dangerfield and the late Jonathan Brandis?

by Anonymousreply 100July 3, 2019 5:21 PM

R100 That's a guilty pleasure of mine. I'm getting nostalgic for many of those forgotten Disney films of the 90s. It seems like Disney doesn't make those kind of films any more. Million Dollar Arm had that 90s feel but for the most part it seems like they are banking exclusively on live action remakes and sequels.

by Anonymousreply 101July 3, 2019 6:15 PM

Ladybugs is another guilty pleasure of mine.

Another Jonathan Brandis movie that was a guilty pleasure was Sidekicks with Chuck Norris.

by Anonymousreply 102July 4, 2019 2:01 AM

Stigmata and Lost Souls reminds me of Bless the Child, from 2000, where Kim Basinger investigates a child with special powers~ that a cult is trying to kidnap or something.

by Anonymousreply 103July 5, 2019 4:31 AM

TRansamericia Felecity Hoffman may have gooten Oscar nomination and won a few awards but does anyone actually remember it? The director hasn't made another film...

by Anonymousreply 104July 5, 2019 6:02 AM

There was also a supernatural film with Kevin Bacon and Justine Bateman in the late 90s. I forgot what it's called.. apparently supernatural horror was a big deal in the late 90s

by Anonymousreply 105July 5, 2019 6:06 AM

I remember Transamerica mostly from Felicity's comment about how the crew guys all vied to be her stunt cock .

by Anonymousreply 106July 5, 2019 9:42 AM

I was pissed that Transamerica was nominated for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 107July 5, 2019 9:51 AM

Other mediocre films that came and went: (so many in the 1990s).

Curly Sue (1991)

L.A. story (1991)

Plains, Trains and Automobiles (1987)

Ransom (1996)

Backdraft (1991)

A Walk In The Clouds (1995)

Back in the 70s remember:

The Greek Tycoon (1978)

Coma (1978) Genevieve Bujold was great in this.

by Anonymousreply 108July 5, 2019 10:03 AM

"Bless The Child" is extremely watchable, primarily because of its sheer awfulness. Everything in it is laughable: the plot, the lines, acting, you name it.

"Stigmata" is actually a good example of the type of the movie we've been discussing here: I remember seeing it when it came out, didn't hate it but it was completely unremarkable, I completely forgot about it almost immediately and I hadn't thought about it in 10+ years until it was mentioned here.

by Anonymousreply 109July 5, 2019 12:03 PM

Oh, and, "LA Story" is anything but mediocre or completely forgotten. I would say it's one of my favorite LA-themed movies and certainly my favorite Steve Martin movie. I know a number of people who love it.

by Anonymousreply 110July 5, 2019 12:04 PM

I think Planes, Trains & Automobiles is seen as a minor classic, one of the great 80s comedies. It never did much for me, but it seems to have stood the test of time.

L.A. Story is a great freaking movie! But that one seems to have slipped out of the public consciousness. If so, that’s a shame.

by Anonymousreply 111July 5, 2019 2:06 PM

This movie from the early 2000s with Brittany Murphy (RIP). I saw it and don't remember the plot except for this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 5, 2019 3:05 PM

R112 That was Don't Say A Word.

by Anonymousreply 113July 5, 2019 3:07 PM

Another mediocre forgotten romance movie is Sweet November with Keanu Reeves and Charlize Theron.

by Anonymousreply 114July 5, 2019 3:09 PM

R113, thanks! I saw it in the theater too.

by Anonymousreply 115July 5, 2019 3:09 PM

R105 Stir of Echoes?

by Anonymousreply 116July 5, 2019 3:55 PM

Michael J. Fox's Life With Mikey from the early 90's.

It was pretty forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 117July 5, 2019 3:56 PM

The first movie I remember going to as a child was “Food of the Gods,” a horror movie about animals who drink a substance and grow bigger than humans, who they kill.

I was 6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 5, 2019 4:00 PM

R116, that's the one!

by Anonymousreply 119July 5, 2019 8:57 PM

Surf Ninjas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 5, 2019 10:34 PM

This thread has me wanting to rewatch Stigmata again. I remember seeing it in '99 or 2000 and thinking it just felt like a really long music video. I don't even remember there being a story, but I recall how everyone was expecting it to be the next Exorcist and it...uh...wasn't. Exorcist II maybe.

by Anonymousreply 121July 5, 2019 11:37 PM

Grew up in the 90s and remember watching a lot of these films in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 122July 5, 2019 11:39 PM

[quote] it just felt like a really long music video

Wasn' the soundtrack by Smashing Pumpkins or Billy Corgan? And it did feel like an extended music video.

by Anonymousreply 123July 6, 2019 12:11 AM

"The Brass Bottle"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 6, 2019 12:27 AM

And Natalie Imbruglia sings Identify.

by Anonymousreply 125July 6, 2019 1:10 AM

[quote]Grew up in the 90s and remember watching a lot of these films in the theater.

I did too.

by Anonymousreply 126July 6, 2019 2:07 AM

Bless the Child reminded me of another mediocre movie Kim Basinger did after her Oscar win.....I Dreamed of Africa. This one pretty much vanished from the public consciousness.

by Anonymousreply 127July 6, 2019 2:12 AM

Did anyone mention "Forces of Nature" with Sandra Bullock and Ben Affleck? The epitome of mediocrity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 6, 2019 2:13 AM

Bounce with Gwynnie and Ben Affleck is another one I saw in the theater but I can't remember anything about it

by Anonymousreply 129July 6, 2019 2:26 AM

The Ninth Gate with Johnny Depp. Something about satanic rare book collectors in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 130July 6, 2019 3:16 AM

View from the Top- the movie where Gwyneth Paltrow played a white trash girl who becomes a flight attendant. Mark Ruffalo played her love interest.

by Anonymousreply 131July 6, 2019 3:47 AM

^^Ruffalo was fucking hot in that movie. He's pretty much the only thing I remember about it, aside from Paltrow bad-mouthing the film upon release.

by Anonymousreply 132July 6, 2019 4:00 AM

R132 What did she say about him?

I used to like Ruffalo. But, after his whiny BernBro crap a few years ago, I can't stand him.

by Anonymousreply 133July 6, 2019 4:04 AM

She didn't say anything about Ruffalo specifically, just that she thought View From The Top was crap and she was embarrassed to have to promote it.

by Anonymousreply 134July 6, 2019 4:08 AM

R132 agree. He looked so good in his shorts and shirt driving his boat. Laid back and relaxed and Hot as hell.

I think that's the first movie I saw him in, too.

by Anonymousreply 135July 6, 2019 5:48 AM

That 90s zombie movie My Boyfriend's Back. WHET Andrew Lowery?

by Anonymousreply 136July 7, 2019 7:00 PM

Bogus(1996) the weird movie where Haley Joel Osment is orphaned after his mother's death and is sent to live with his mother's foster sister played by Whoopi Goldberg. Haley's character has a imaginary friend named Bogus played by Gerard Depardieu.

The movie was a weird guilty pleasure of mine because of how awful Whoopi and Gerard were.

by Anonymousreply 137July 7, 2019 7:10 PM

Johnny Be Good with Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Michael Hall and Uma Thurman.

by Anonymousreply 138July 7, 2019 7:13 PM

"That 90s zombie movie My Boyfriend's Back. WHET Andrew Lowery?"

I was just thinking the same thing when I watched School Ties recently. Btw, is he gay?

by Anonymousreply 139July 7, 2019 7:56 PM

SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOOON

scarey spooky thriller bout 2 old foks who kidnap a girl at the beheast of a spirit

kim Stanley was our brando

AND DONT FERGIT IT

by Anonymousreply 140July 7, 2019 8:06 PM

I remember View From the Top and I seem to recall having a few laughs with it, so it couldn't have been that terrible. Not terribly memorable, I suppose, but not a complete train wreck either.

by Anonymousreply 141July 7, 2019 8:29 PM

R139 I have wondered if he is gay. He pinged like hell in both School Ties and My Boyfriend's Back.

by Anonymousreply 142July 7, 2019 9:56 PM

Hello Again! Shelley Long AND Corbin Burnsen.

by Anonymousreply 143July 7, 2019 9:58 PM

High School High- the movie parodied all those teacher in urban high school movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 7, 2019 10:06 PM

"Shakes The Clown" (1991)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145July 9, 2019 2:51 AM

Death to Smoochy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 9, 2019 2:52 AM

The New Guy (2002) the weird high school comedy movie with DJ Qualls and Eliza Dushku.

by Anonymousreply 147July 9, 2019 2:53 AM

My Father The Hero

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 9, 2019 3:07 AM

There was an animated film called Robots that was released in 2005. All I remember is that Robin Williams voiced a character very similar to the Genie from Aladdin. I was reminded of it when I looked up Melanie Blatt on Wikipedia and saw that she recorded a song for the soundtrack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 9, 2019 11:15 PM

The Trigger Effect (1996), with Elisabeth Shue -- A power outage in LA causes massive unrest and a dystopian existence.

I've never met another person who has seen this film.

by Anonymousreply 150July 10, 2019 9:39 AM

I remember/saw so many of these that it’s weird!

I remember that movie being on cable a lot at one time, R150, but I never actually sat down to watch it because it looked “completely depressing”....

by Anonymousreply 151July 10, 2019 12:06 PM

r150, I know I rented that back in the 90s because I was in lust with Dermot Mulroney but I couldn't tell you a damn thing that happens in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 152July 10, 2019 12:14 PM

Has The Possession of Joel Delaney been mentioned? It's an obscure Shirley MacLaine movie of the 1970s and is actually quite interesting until it falls off the rails in the climax. Shirley is always funny playing a rich frau but here she gets involved in voodoo and the lower classes when her brother played by Perry King gets possessed by a Latino serial killer. The climax has a naked boy -not Perry - and forced dog food eating, and then a bizarre though predictable ending.

by Anonymousreply 153July 11, 2019 10:23 PM

R153 Saw this movie years ago and the climax was chilling. Probably my favorite from all The Exorcist ripoffs.

by Anonymousreply 154July 11, 2019 10:39 PM

I was chilled when Shirl pushed a woman out of the way to get entitled service at the Bellevue front desk.

by Anonymousreply 155July 12, 2019 3:50 AM

I rented this movie because I had the hits for Gabriel Byrne at the time. It wasn't worth it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 13, 2019 6:45 AM

The *hots* for crying out loud.

by Anonymousreply 157July 13, 2019 6:47 AM

This is My Life (1992)- Julie Kavner starred as a single mother who becomes a stand up comedian. Samantha Mathis and Gaby Hoffmann played her daughters. Carrie Fisher and Dan Akroyd played her agents.

by Anonymousreply 158July 14, 2019 4:21 AM

Carly Simon did the soundtrack for that, r158. I had the CD but never saw the movie. Creepy video with clips from the movie and Carly flirting with son Ben on guitar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 14, 2019 8:35 AM

Nothing creepy about that music video at all, R159.

She's singing about maternal love so of course her son (handsome devil, too) is front and centre in the clip. Good on them both for unapologetically celebrating one of the most primal emotions humans can experience.

by Anonymousreply 160July 14, 2019 1:29 PM

Original Sin, with Angelina Jolie and Antonio Banderas. Advance publicity played up the "hot" love scenes but no one cared. When I saw it I was the only person in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 161July 16, 2019 5:25 PM

R161 You can describe all of Angelina's movies this way. Amazing that she was considered an A Lister for so long.

by Anonymousreply 162July 16, 2019 6:34 PM

by Anonymousreply 163July 17, 2019 3:48 AM

OMG... Millennium starring Cheryl Ladd - takes place in a world, 1000 years in the future where smoking actually keeps people alive, where face lifts apparently involve just removing the skull and keeping the skin, and where flying is as glamorous as ever. Horrible ending, but fascinating story none the less.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 17, 2019 4:03 AM

The Great Santini

by Anonymousreply 165July 17, 2019 4:46 AM

Moving Violations (1985)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 17, 2019 4:55 AM

The Great Santini used to be on cable all the time

by Anonymousreply 167July 17, 2019 5:28 PM

Serial

No Small Affair

How To Beat The High Cost of Living

French Postcards

by Anonymousreply 168July 17, 2019 5:36 PM

I love L.A. Story, too, R110

It's one of my favorites

by Anonymousreply 169July 17, 2019 9:25 PM

Original Sin was a hoot. Also starring the very hot Thomas Jane. He has a a sexy scene with Angie where it appears he’s fucking her in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 170July 21, 2019 10:10 AM

Troop Beverly Hills

by Anonymousreply 171July 21, 2019 10:48 AM

R168 French Postcards was hilarious with Debra Winger, Mandy Patinkin in some of their first roles. Also, Miles Chapin and David Marshall Grant were both adorable.

by Anonymousreply 172July 21, 2019 11:11 AM

Good one, R166. We used to love watching that in college after a tough exam just for some silly laughter.

by Anonymousreply 173July 21, 2019 1:33 PM

Summer Catch- early 2000s baseball movie with Freddie Prinze Jr. and Jessica Biel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 21, 2019 4:44 PM

Summer Lovers

by Anonymousreply 175July 22, 2019 8:34 PM

I liked that made for TV movie from the 1970s where a plane load of people land on an island. It turns hellish. They get their hopes up, then lose hope, repeatedly. I remember there is a fallen priest with them. Turns out, they're all dead, and in hell. We had a thread in it, a year or two ago.

by Anonymousreply 176July 22, 2019 9:09 PM

Outside Providence (1999) - The first half was fantastic but then the second half went off the rails. Alec Baldwin, Shawn Hatosy, Richard Jenkins are all great in their roles and they manage the accent quite well. Of the few films to address class issues in America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 22, 2019 11:00 PM

The Pallbearer with David Schwimmer, Gwyneth Paltrow and Barbara Hershey. One of Hollywood's many lame attempts to launch one of the Friends into leading film roles.

by Anonymousreply 178July 23, 2019 5:20 AM

Trojan War, starring Jennifer Love Hewitt and the older brother from Boy Meets World. I didn't realize that it was such a box office bomb! It only made $309 in ticket sales. No wonder why nobody else remembers it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 23, 2019 1:17 PM

R179 That movie aired on cable quite a bit in that late 90s.

by Anonymousreply 180July 24, 2019 3:39 PM

Speedway Junky, by Nick(olas) Perry. A tragic little time-capsule starring Jordan Brower & Jesse Bradford.

For R16, it stars Justin Urich (nephew to the late Robert) in an amusing supporting role as a car-jacking tranny-loving B-boy wastoid named Scooby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181October 22, 2019 1:50 PM

"Hugo, the Hippo" a Greek? Romanian? Turkish? animated film dubbed into English and was just ... bad. Songs were by Marie and Jimmy Osmond.

by Anonymousreply 182October 22, 2019 2:15 PM

"Maybe I'll Come Home in the Spring," starring Sally Field, David Carradine, Eleanor Parker, Eddie Albert.

by Anonymousreply 183October 22, 2019 2:45 PM

Kingdom Come (2001) a large black family comes home for the funeral of the family patriarch. Whoopi Goldberg is the matriarch, Cedric the Entertainer is the preacher, LL Cool J, Loretta Devine, Vivica A. Fox, Anthony Anderson, Toni Braxton, and Jada Pinkett Smith, play various members of the family. I found it hilarious, and me and my entire (white) family loved it, because it reminds us of funerals in our crazy family. It is one of our go to movies to watch as a family. However, the only people who seem to know what I'm talking about, when I mention it, are black people, so I would say white people don't remember it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 22, 2019 5:28 PM

Casper with Christina Ricci. Pretty lame but my 8 year old self enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 185October 22, 2019 5:32 PM

Tom and Jerry, the animated movie. Another movie I loved but was probably really bad in retrospect. I remember the songs as being pretty good (Henry Mancini was the composer) but critics hated them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 22, 2019 5:36 PM

All Dogs Go to Heaven seems forgotten. I think it is even better than Fievel Goes West or its sequel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 22, 2019 5:38 PM

I saw All Dogs go to Heaven in the theater when I was 10

by Anonymousreply 188October 22, 2019 5:40 PM

A Kiss Before Dying (1991) with Max Von Sydow, Matt Dillon and Sean Young. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 189October 22, 2019 5:42 PM

Dennis the Menace with a terrifying performance from Christopher Lloyd, who is homeless and (maybe) a pedophile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 22, 2019 5:44 PM

Actually, it's implied that he is a pedophile. And I cannot believe a movie studio, in the early 90s, thought to themselves "hey, let's feature a pedophile as the villain in this children's story!".

by Anonymousreply 191October 22, 2019 5:46 PM

Point of No Return, 1993, starring Bridget Fonda as a former street junkie recruited as a super secret assassin agent by a mysterious black ops group. Totally stupid and silly but I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 192October 22, 2019 6:03 PM

"Raggedy Ann: A Musical Adventure."

by Anonymousreply 193October 22, 2019 6:04 PM

Condorman (1981). Starring Michael Crawford , Oliver Reed, James Hampton, and Barbara Carrera.

It was Disney's attempt for a James Bond rip-off and I liked it, but I don't think this movie was ever even mention on DL (or anywhere). LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194October 22, 2019 6:07 PM

The Incredible Shrinking Woman with Lily Tomlin and Charles Grodin.

by Anonymousreply 195October 22, 2019 6:33 PM

Motel Hell

by Anonymousreply 196October 22, 2019 6:37 PM

Wrist Cutters Picnic at Hanging Rock (Aussie one)

by Anonymousreply 197October 22, 2019 6:41 PM

The Bedroom Window with Steve Gutenberg and Isabelle Huppert. An odd pairing but it works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198October 22, 2019 7:02 PM

Night of the Gun with Andrew McCarthy, Sharon Stone, and Valeria Galino. (WEHT . . . )

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 22, 2019 7:17 PM

COLOSSUS: The Forbin Project

by Anonymousreply 200October 22, 2019 8:19 PM

R190 I didn't get any pedophilic vibes from this movie but then again I saw it as a kid. The real life Dennis grew up to be a hunk but is no longer acting.

by Anonymousreply 201October 22, 2019 11:36 PM

Foxfire with Angelina Jolie. The only thing I remember is a naked Peter Facinelli running through the woods.

by Anonymousreply 202October 22, 2019 11:37 PM

R190 lol I forgot about that one.

by Anonymousreply 203October 23, 2019 1:24 AM

R201, he is portrayed like the kind of man who probably waits for kids to prowl around by themselves so he can abduct them. If you watched it today, you'd definitely pick up on it.

by Anonymousreply 204October 23, 2019 1:35 PM

Eye of the Cat (1969). A great unknown piece of Hagsploitation with Elenor Parker and Michael Sarazzan. The runaway wheelchair scene is amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205October 23, 2019 2:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!