Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which “Job” Is the Most Bullshit?

I had a meeting with a project manager and a change manager today - both walking content-free zones.

And yet each earns around $150k.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2019 4:29 AM

In my experience, most consultants tell you what you already know (ex. non profit with high turn over probably isn't the happiest or most efficient workplace) and offer vague advice. A lot seem to skim over the negatives in final reports.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2019 2:57 AM

Intimacy Coordinator

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2019 3:12 AM

The answer is always anything HR.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2019 3:15 AM

Head of development are sociopaths. The HR bitch is the worst. They tell you how good the job is but they are miserable cows.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2019 3:16 AM

Instagram Model. It means you post selfies all day.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2019 3:18 AM

HR Business Partners were, in my experience, a bunch of yes men or women who helped justify whatever the big bosses wanted to do. They helped cover up firings that were either because the person was too old or making too much money. "We're sorry, but your job has been eliminated due to restructuring" is what was said, but what they meant was "You're too damn old and make too damn much money; we want someone half your age and price to do the same job." Yes, I'm bitter.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2019 3:21 AM

A project manager is very important. The difference between a good and bad one can mean halving the cost of the project (good) to doubling it (bad)

As for consulting, most companies use them because managers either are too afraid to admit or in a position where they cannot admit they screwed up so a consultant takes the pressure off.

For instance, where I work our GM was sued for age discrimination and they settled out of court. However the board had to back him to the hilt because they spent nearly a year choosing him. Then less than six month later he does this. Now the board cannot admit they were so blind. Because companies use arbitration now-a-days, no record in the courts exist of this. Later I learned this GM has been involved in three other discrimination lawsuits at his last job. Of course all were arbitration so no public record exists.

This has cost the company a lot of money but no one can do anything about him, because to do so, would expose the board was massively incompetent in hiring him, not investigating and not removing him. I only know because I happened to run across the H/R person in the last job in a social setting and was able to see "unofficially."

And now I can't say anything but a consultant who has no hand in the card game could.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2019 3:30 AM

I have never met a competent project manager, R7

Maybe they exist - like Yeti they are merely elusive?

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2019 3:33 AM

[quote]both walking content-free zones.

What does this mean?

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2019 4:00 AM

I'm not R7 but I've worked with a couple of stellar Project Managers that make you really lament all the others who fall short. They are rare.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2019 4:03 AM

R9

It means they are dumb - they are “content-free,” have nothing to contribute

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2019 4:08 AM

Project managers and change managers have their place. I’ve been to meetings that ended with no one knowing who was going to do what, by when, because there was no project manager to keep things organized. It got so that I learned to end every meeting by summarizing the who, what, and by when for every task and agreement.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2019 4:10 AM

The Apprentice always had a project manager for each task.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2019 4:12 AM

Recruiter, without a doubt. They all follow the exact same script and ask the same extremely stupid questions.

How is it possible that no one has come up with a different, more effective approach to recruiting ?

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2019 4:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!