Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dr. Jordan Peterson clinical psychologist

What do we think of him? Helpful? Insightful? Has he helped any of you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 20, 2019 3:02 PM

Right-wing psycho-babble garbage.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 9:15 PM

Famewhore. It's really gross that he begs for money on Patreon as a tenured professor.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 9:22 PM

The hero of the alt-right?

The guy Steve Bannon and Milo love?

Try harder, troll.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 9:24 PM

I find his points to be basic common sense wrapped up in psychobabble.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 9:25 PM

He looks like the kind of guy who molests his kids and then uses psychology to justify it.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 9:26 PM

[quote]Peterson's critiques of political correctness range over issues such as postmodernism, postmodern feminism, white privilege, cultural appropriation, and environmentalism.

[quote]Peterson considers that the universities should be held as among the most responsible for the wave of political correctness which appeared in North America and Europe.

[quote]Peterson says that "disciplines like women's studies should be defunded" and advises freshman students to avoid subjects like sociology, anthropology, English literature, ethnic studies and racial studies, as well as other fields of study he believes are corrupted by the Neo-Marxist ideology.

[quote]Peterson has criticized the use of the term "white privilege", stating that "being called out on their white privilege, identified with a particular racial group and then made to suffer the consequences of the existence of that racial group and its hypothetical crimes, and that sort of thing has to come to a stop. ... [It's] racist in its extreme".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 9:26 PM

He’s a very unpleasant man.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 9:27 PM

"And so since the 1970s, under the guise of postmodernism, we've seen the rapid expansion of identity politics throughout the universities, it's come to dominate all of the humanities – which are dead as far as I can tell – and a huge proportion of the social sciences ... We've been publicly funding extremely radical, postmodern leftist thinkers who are hellbent on demolishing the fundamental substructure of Western civilization."

— Jordan Peterson

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 9:28 PM

Jordan can always resign as a professor and forfeit his pension if he feels that strongly.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 9:31 PM

When Joe Rogan destroys your argument, clearly you're not a strong thinker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 9:32 PM

Someone (perhaps always OP) starts a thread about him here every few months in an effort to get a conversation going about him. It's usually met with a combination of indifference and derision and fizzles out quickly.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 9:32 PM

He used the trans movement as a stepping stone to fame and fortune.

He was a nobody with a YouTube channel that no one watched. The only people who listened to his lectures were those who had to. He wrote books that no one read.

Now he's world famous and all because he claimed the trans community wanted to destroy him.

He wrote a paper on the most common traits of dictators and he appears to be following those traits to make himself famous.

Eventually he'll have to ratchet up the rhetoric to keep himself in the spotlight and we all know how that will end for those he disagrees with.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2019 9:37 PM

All shrinks are basically incompetent and fraudulent.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2019 9:40 PM

I love Jordan Peterson. I think he is amazing and he has a lot to offer. Clearly, I am in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2019 9:51 PM

He’s an idiot with a stupid voice and idiotic ideas.

He’s not a tenured professor, they canned him ages ago. Why do you think he grifts incels for Patreon money? Can’t wait till he gets no platformed. He’s a worse charlatan freak than Tony Robbins.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2019 11:10 PM

R14, I can not even imagine your worldview.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2019 11:46 PM

Receipts, r12?

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2019 11:53 PM

Also, if you compare early to recent videos it looks like he had his hairline restored.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2019 11:59 PM

His original position for which he became famous when he argued against legislating speech was well-reasoned whether you agreed or not.

Since he became a rightwing darling, he's gone well outside his sphere of expertise.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2019 12:42 AM

A bit ... Aspergers-y, no?

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2019 12:56 AM

I listened to OP’s YT, & thought it was good.

I’m tired of tarring & feathering people whose political beliefs don’t align with mine.

This is a real person, not a corporation or Hollywood facade. He doesn’t deserve to be ruined by trolls.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2019 11:37 AM

[quote]His original position for which he became famous when he argued against legislating speech was well-reasoned whether you agreed or not.

His original position was "No one's going to tell me how to talk and if I want to refer to another human being as an 'It" then I will because I'm a professor and therefore smarter than everyone else."

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2019 11:44 AM

R21 Peterson denies an alt right exists yet routinely blames all the ills of the world on an all powerful alt left.

When asked why he was associating with neo-Nazis during a protest at UofT he claimed he didn't invite them, yet he had no problem posing for pictures with them.

The man is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 11:46 AM

Girl, just admit you are a Jordan Peterson fanboy and quit going through this act r21. No one is buying it.

And quit trying to promote him here OP.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2019 11:52 AM

He’s a male Judge Judy dishing up, just like her, common sense, insistence of self-reliance, and the importance of personal responsibility to a world which prefers victimhood, and blame calling. So he doesn’t go down well here with some Righteous Flowers, irrespective of his politics - and I don’t think he’s identified his alliances in that respect.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2019 12:18 PM

he's right on a lot of things. But millennials and SJW live in their Fantasy world and cant be reached by reality and common sense.

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2019 12:23 PM

R24 OP here. I wasn’t “” promoting” him. it was a genuine inquiry about what other people think of him. I just happened to run across his videos on YouTube and thought they were interesting. I had never heard of this guy. That is it.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2019 12:24 PM

r14 = Jordan Peterson

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2019 12:25 PM

I know two people who bought his book--both white straight men--and neither actually read the book, but are convinced he's a brilliant thinker.

That pretty much sums up his fan base.

Here's an article written by the guy who got him his teaching job at UofT. He regrets doing that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2019 12:57 PM

Never heard of him, but if R6's quotes are real, he makes some good points.

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2019 1:10 PM

Apparently ugly stupid men are exempt from his philosophy of self-reliance, however. He believes that there should be “enforced monogamy” in order to level the playing field for them, since the big hunky jocks are monopolizing all the good women. What a loon.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2019 1:26 PM

R31 watch the Rogan interview upthread to see Peterson get trounced on that point.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2019 1:32 PM

I’ve never heard of him, but I rush to every thread about him to make clear how I just love his ‘philosophy’ and wish the ‘trolls’ would just leave him alone

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2019 1:42 PM

I liked this video on depression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2019 1:45 PM

Peterson believes there should be enforced monogamy, and therefore women should be forced into sexual relationships with incels. No wonder he's an alt-right darling.

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2019 1:56 PM

[quote]His original position was "No one's going to tell me how to talk and if I want to refer to another human being as an 'It" then I will because I'm a professor and therefore smarter than everyone else."

That's not even close to what his original argument was. I'm not saying you had to agree because I disagreed with several points. But, it was well-reasoned.

Since then, he's gone on to take ridiculous positions that are not nearly as well-considered or argued, mostly right wing nutbag talking points.

Before you summarize someone's position, you should really learn what it was and wasn't. THAT is how you have a coherent and reasonable discussion with other people when you disagree with them.

by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2019 2:00 PM

R36 I'm not new to Peterson. I'm Canadian and I've been following his attack on the trans community in particular and the gay community in general, since he started going after us. I knew of this prick before he became a darling of the incel/Nazi/alt-Right movement. I knew of him when he was going on The Agenda on TVO and claiming he'd be sent to jail for opposing Bill C61, when he knew that was complete bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2019 2:12 PM

I watched a u tube video of his and it’s obvious he has a big ole chip on his shoulder about women. He thinks that they are disproportionately BPD and out to ruin men. Who knows if he really thinks this or if it’s a schtick to rouse the incels. Probably both. He makes my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2019 2:14 PM

lol at OP trying to "redpill the normies" with this. Jordan Peterson is to rightwing white guys as, I don't know, Gwyneth Paltrow? is to her following. Nobody outside their following can stand them. Joke at best, dangerous at worst. He's one of the the social justice warriors, identity politicians, and virtue signallers for people who hate SJWs, identity politics, and virtue signalling but don't realize they're engaging in the same behavior they claim to despise.

by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2019 2:16 PM

R38 during the protest at UofT he had no problem threatening women and getting physical with them, but didn't dare try that with any of the men who confronted him.

If ever there was a guy who needed a good hard open hand slap to the face, it's Peterson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2019 2:22 PM

Peterson logic: Lobsters use serotonin and have social hierarchies. Humans also use serotonin and therefor human hierarchies are good and normal and the way humans should live.

As a wealthy white male Peterson just happens to sits near the top of the human hierarchy ... imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 41June 20, 2019 2:23 PM

[quote][R36] I'm not new to Peterson. I'm Canadian and I've been following his attack on the trans community in particular and the gay community in general, since he started going after us. I knew of this prick before he became a darling of the incel/Nazi/alt-Right movement. I knew of him when he was going on The Agenda on TVO and claiming he'd be sent to jail for opposing Bill C61, when he knew that was complete bullshit.

Peterson panders to the worst instincts in a large number of people.

As he's gained notoriety, his positions and arguments have become more extreme (and morally challenged) and articulated in more grandiose and less precise language. He often couches his statements in ambiguous nonsense that both obfuscate and provide plausible deniability if his base were to raise objections:

[quote]"If the marital vows are taken seriously...it's a means whereby gay people could be integrated more thoroughly into standard society and that's probably a good thing...Those are my views. I know they're confused...because I'm in favor of extending the bounds of traditional relationships to people who wouldn't be involved in a traditional longer term relationship but I'm concerned about the undermining of traditional modes of being..."

Let's not even get started on ridiculous statements like "traditional modes of being,"

What this approach does do for him is allow him to discredit all criticisms as misinterpretations by opponents. This is why it's important to debunk him with precision.

And, I still stand by my original statement. His original position was well-argued.

[quote]I oppose discrimination against gender identity and gender expression, that's not the point. The point is the specifics of the legislation that surrounds it and the insistence that people have to use compelled speech. That's what I'm objecting to. I've dealt with all sorts of people in my life. People who don't fit in in all sorts of different ways. I'm not a discriminatory person...but I think this legislation is reprehensible and I do not believe for a moment that it will do what it intends to do -- Peterson.

by Anonymousreply 42June 20, 2019 2:34 PM

R42 did you watch him speaking before the Senate committee about Bill C16? He came off like any other anti-gay right wing loon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 20, 2019 2:42 PM

^^^A good link, but the wrong one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2019 2:42 PM

When he was on The Agenda:

[quote]“If they fine me, I won’t pay it. If they put me in jail, I’ll go on a hunger strike. I’m not doing this. And that’s that. I’m not using the words that other people require me to use. Especially if they’re made up by radical left-wing ideologues.”

by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2019 2:43 PM

[quote][R42] did you watch him speaking before the Senate committee about Bill C16? He came off like any other anti-gay right wing loon.

I do not disagree with this assessment of his performance at the committee meeting.

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2019 2:52 PM

Here's a great article debunking Perterson's entire argument opposing BillC16.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2019 2:55 PM

His politics aside what about his videos dealing with depression & life’s challenges? Do you find any of them helpful?

by Anonymousreply 48June 20, 2019 2:58 PM

No I don't R48. He hasn't made an original argument or presented an original point regarding how one should live their life or organize their time, or present themselves to society. In one video he actually used the word paradigm. I haven't heard that since Stephen Covey was popular.

by Anonymousreply 49June 20, 2019 3:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!