Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which American stars are just as popular overseas? Which ones are unheard of overseas?

It's always interesting to see how some American stars are equally popular (or more popular) overseas, while others are unknown outside the US

Can any foreign DLers weigh in?

by Anonymousreply 143July 1, 2019 3:26 PM

This would need someone who lived for a good while in both America and elsewhere OP. How can the rest of us know who is 'unheard of' where we live (for obvious reasons), or compare levels of popularity?

Here in Britain we are aware of a lot of actors, actresses, singer etc. from America, but I don't know who you'd expect us to know of that we don't, or vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 3:57 PM

To add to my previous answer ^ a good way to tell who is famous is to look up episodes of The Graham Norton Show on youtube - the American guests featured on there would be the ones the British public would want to see. A lot of big actors and actresses obviously - the chances are of they are big in Hollywood or on TV dramas then they;re big here too, to an extent.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 4:01 PM

In Myanmar, Angelina Jolie is quite popular since she comes here a lot. And no, people don't know Taraji. Actually Myanmar people don't care much about black actors.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 4:04 PM

Most country singers are unknown outside the US

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 4:13 PM

[quote]This would need someone who lived for a good while in both America and elsewhere OP.

Not really, no. You just have to be submerged in US pop culture on a daily basis for years, preferably decades.

r4 This. But that's not unusual as most countries have their own folky music genre that only appeals to them.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 4:18 PM

Those actors on Law & Order are not famous in my neck of the woods.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 4:25 PM

In Asia (especially China, Korea and Japan), Tom Hiddleston is HUGE, not only as a fanfav character in Marvel movies but also as a Hollywood superstar, almost to the Chrises level, definitely above Chadwick Boseman, Mark Ruffalo and Sebastian Stan. I was a little surprised when I first realized that he had been relatively unknown in the US until Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 4:25 PM

Avril Lavigne is huge in Japan (or at least she used to be)

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 4:32 PM

It seems everyone is loved in Brazil.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 4:35 PM

Country Music expands global popularity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 4:43 PM

Tom Cruise is big in Asia.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 4:43 PM

Kind of R5, but not entirely. Many of us in Britain are submerged in American pop culture but what OP was asking for was a comparison - who is more or less popular, and who is unheard of, in comparison to the US. We in Britain who are submerged in US popular culture (which is huge over here), can tell him some of the names of people we are interested in but we can't really make the comparisons he's asking for, as part of an overview.

That's why I pointed him in the direction of The Graham Norton Show, which is a good place for him to start to make comparisons himself perhaps, and to see how American stars are received in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2019 4:56 PM

Courtney Love has said the English see her as authentic whereas Americans don't.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2019 5:04 PM

David Hasselhoff is a superstar in Germany .

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2019 5:06 PM

R11 -- Tom Cruise is not "big" in Asia -- dwarves do not actually increase in size relative to the country they're in.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2019 5:09 PM

^ lol!!!

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2019 5:57 PM

[Quote]Actually Myanmar people don't care much about black actors.

Is it true that black movies (like Tyler Perry's) aren't popular overseas? That's the accusation for why Hollywood doesn't heavily invest in black movies - international audiences won't pay to see them.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2019 6:23 PM

Meryl is very popular in The UK. Her movies do well at the Box Office and she is the most nominated film actor for The Bafta. She's also a hit in Oz.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2019 6:24 PM

R7 Is Taylor Swift popular in Asia? Some other singers?

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2019 7:06 PM

Oprah and Barbra Streisand aren't big stars overseas, especially in non-English speaking countries.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2019 7:37 PM

Jerry Lewis and France OWN this thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2019 7:48 PM

Here in India: Brad Pitt Angelina Jolie Tom Cruise Leo DiCaprio Rdj Christopher Nolan (I know, weird! But his name is recognized quite well and people watch movies on his name alone) Justin Bieber Lady gaga EDM producers like Marshmello,Kygo, Martin garrix The chain smokers and Hardwell

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2019 7:50 PM

Whoops sorry! I included non Americans too... Ignore those.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2019 7:51 PM

Here in India: Brad Pitt

Angelina Jolie

Tom Cruise

Leo DiCaprio

Rdj

Christopher Nolan (I know, weird! But his name is recognized quite well and people watch movies on his name alone)

Justin Bieber

Lady gaga

EDM producers like Marshmello,Kygo, Martin garrix The chain smokers and Hardwell

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2019 7:53 PM

[R19] In India Justin, gaga, the EDM guys are all more popular than Taylor. Taylor is popular in Japan though.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2019 8:00 PM

Pink is huge in Australia

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2019 8:55 PM

R19 Taylor Swift is quite popular. At this moment, ME! is being played in many shops and restaurants across China.

Generally speaking, pop and rock are more popular than hip-pop and country music. That is, Taylor Swift is more popular than Nicki Minaj, Beyonce is more popular than Jay-Z. Adele (I know she's not American but she's as huge in China as in the rest of the world), Bruno Mars, Jonas Brothers (and DNCE's Cake by the Ocean) are what you are most likely to hear in Chinese cities, where most of the business owners play the recorded music without thinking about copyright. For some reasons, a few Western pieces of music made their ways into Chinese pop culture and daily life. The Magnificent Seven theme music, for example, can be heard on any formal occasion in China, from an awards show to a marriage ceremony, that when I first watched the original film I was surprised to find out where it's coming from. Spice Girls' Wannabe is another number that Chinese get a lot of comedic mileage from, and now through TikTok, the song is somewhat revived among US teens.

Many Western singers, however, are blacklisted for political reasons. Probably because compared with Hollywood, singers are less concerned about Chinese market when they make political statements. Bjork, Maroon 5, Bon Jovi, Lady Gaga are all banned for being friends with Dalai Lama. Justin Bieber is banned for being a bad boy. Katy Perry is banned for an alternative "wardrobe malfunction": apparently her stage costume at a Taipei concert is interpreted as her support for a Taiwanese student movement that Beijing doesn't like. She was supposed to be the singer for the 2017 Victoria's Secret Show in Shanghai, but was replaced by Harry Styles in the last minute.

In fact, what interests me recently is seeing how big K-pop has become in the US, as well as the rest of the world. A couple of years ago, as the then biggest market for Hallyu, China banned all the Korean stars, music, movies and TV shows in retaliation for Korea's American missile defense system. BTS, who had just set their feet in China, were shut out, along with all the other K-pop stars, before they could make a name (and lots of money) as the industry MO. No one would have expected such a paradigm shift in just a few years, and as an Asian, I'd never imagine K-pop, or anything, to become such a prominent Asian representation on the world stage.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2019 9:53 PM

Generally, Tom Cruise, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie (but not Jennifer Anniston, who is at best recognized as Rachel from Friends) are the most famous living Hollywood stars in China, that is, known by almost every urban dweller under the age of 50. Others such as Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Winfrey Oprah and superhero actors are also famous, but not household names.

Marilyn Monroe and Charlie Chaplin are household names in China, not very closely followed by Audrey Hepburn and Marlon Brando (many people may have just heard about these two names without knowing anything about them, not even what they looked like). Most other old Hollywood stars such as Ingrid Bergman, Katharine Hepburn, John Wayne and Cary Grant are relatively unknown.

Also in China, among many movie franchises, Star Wars, Star Trek (tho Michelle Yeoh is a household name), Indiana Jones, The Hunger Games, not to mention Divergent and The Maze Runner, are basically nothing compared with Harry Porter and The Avengers. Jackie Chan's Rush Hour, which aimed at the American market, is relatively unknown in China, so is Chris Tucker. So is any black star, tbh.

In fact, Jackie Chan for various reasons, including sex scandals, pro-Beijing stance, male chauvinism (which Michelle Yeoh half-jokingly called out several times), lame works, etc., is probably the most hated celebrity across Greater China, which is sort of incredible because nowadays China, Hong Kong and Taiwan can barely agree on anything. His actor son Jacey has been banned in China for smoking pot at home, which is another blow to Jackie's image because Chinese public and government take drugs, be it marijuana or meth, very seriously. Jackie's teddy bear, nice uncle image on US talk shows would be a surprise to many Chinese.

There are some American(-ish) stars who are known in China but not necessarily in US:

US-born actor Daniel Wu, who is in AMC's Into the Badlands and Warcraft, is an A-lister in China, generally recognized as the most sought-after heartthrob, kind of like Ryan Gosling in the US (tho I don't get either of them). His AMC show producer Stephen Fung is also an actor. When they started in Hong Kong, they played a gay couple in their breakout film called Beauty.

Kris Phillips aka Fei Xiang, who is very likely closeted, is one of if not the biggest star in China during the 80s. He tried to crack Broadway in the 90s, did an Andrew Lloyd Webber tour show with Sarah Brightman for some years, before returning to China.

Archie Kao, who was in CSI, became known in China as the husband of Zhou Xun, a famous Chinese actress (who had a role in Cloud Atlas). He, however, hasn't been in many Chinese productions since the marriage, probably because he couldn't speak Chinese well.

It seems that Bai Ling has some recognition in US, though she is very obscure in China and probably blacklisted for her appearance in Red Corner with Richard Gere, who famously called out Beijing at the Oscars. Zhu Zhu is another US-based Chinese actress, who was in Netflix's short-lived Marco Polo, but she is unknown in China either. Joan Chen, Zhu Zhu's co-star on Marco Polo, used to be a big shot. When she went on David Letterman in the 80s, he introduced her as "the most popular movie star" in China, though her name may not be familiar to Chinese youth today.

In the end, fun fact: there is a Canadian "star," so to speak, called Mark Rowswell, aka Da Shan, often titled "the most famous foreigner in China" in the 90s, whom I'm sure no one outside of China has ever heard of. You can Google him if you are interested in his story.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2019 10:39 PM

Myanmars, Thai, Laotians, Cambodians don't like dark skin tone as it signifies low class/caste. A bit of self-hatred and a bit of racism. Whitening skin products are selling like hot cakes in this region.

Yes, your armpits must be whitened too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2019 10:54 PM

Steve McQueen was huge in France.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2019 11:06 PM

And as a tidbit, the 1940 film Waterloo Bridge, starring Robert Taylor (love him!) and Vivien Leigh, is one of the best known and most watched Hollywood films in China. As big as Gone with the Wind and Roman Holiday, bigger than Casablanca, much bigger than any John Wayne westerns, Cary Grant romcoms and Hitchcock thrillers.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2019 11:06 PM

I'm German but love American or 'international' gossip sites like Daily Mail online. Before I discovered these sites I had never heard of Carrie Underwood or Ryan Seacrest.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2019 11:31 PM

[quote]Before I discovered these sites I had never heard of Carrie Underwood or Ryan Seacrest.

Do you ever want to return to those halcyon days?

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2019 11:33 PM

I'm still not sure what exactly Ryan Seacrest is famous for tbh, but from what I remember he's somehow responsible for inflicting the Kardashians upon the world. The Kardashians are, unfortunately, just as famous in Germany as they are in the US.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2019 11:35 PM

Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2019 11:37 PM

Katherine Kelly Lang and Susan Flannery are on par with Meryl Streep in Italy and Bulgaria.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2019 11:42 PM

[quote] Do you ever want to return to those halcyon days?

Not as much as I wish I had never heard of Blanca Blanco or Demi Rose! But I guess these two are not only completely unknown in Germany, but anywhere except the Daily Mail microcosmos.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2019 11:44 PM

Ypir is a national treasure in her homeland but only fashionistas in North America might know this chic icon.

by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2019 12:16 AM

The Chinese also play a lot of Kenny G.

by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2019 12:29 AM

R39 It's true, but people probably don't know his name. Many years ago he reportedly dated Ady An, a Taiwanese actress. That's when I first heard about the name.

by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2019 12:36 AM

LOL r36 is right: The Bold and The Beautiful (called simply "Beautiful") is huge over here.

by Anonymousreply 41June 20, 2019 12:52 AM

"The Kardashians are, unfortunately, just as famous in Germany as they are in the US."

This is kind of surprising to me - I thought only Americans would care about them.

by Anonymousreply 42June 20, 2019 2:30 AM

R19 Taylor Swift is or was popular in Asia. I think Audrey Hepburn is popular in Japan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 20, 2019 2:54 AM

Is Chrissy Metz huge in Europe?

by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2019 3:03 AM

[quote]Myanmars, Thai, Laotians, Cambodians don't like dark skin tone as it signifies low class/caste.

All of these nations are Buddhist, not Hindu, and Buddhism has no castes.

In addition, while there is a correlation between caste and color in India, since Indians are of diverse origins and the high castes are more related with Europeans and Near-Easterners, all the nations you listed above are relatively uniform, at least in terms of phenotype. All are Eastern or Southeastern Asian, with little slanted eyes, straight black hair, medium skin tone, etc.

by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2019 4:20 AM

Chrissy Metz is huge everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2019 4:58 AM

[quote]All of these nations are Buddhist, not Hindu, and Buddhism has no castes.

Oh please, there are, but not in a strict, religious sense of castes. They are more of societal castes. I know what I'm talking about, love.

by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2019 8:02 AM

Hjkkjh

by Anonymousreply 48June 20, 2019 4:26 PM

R27 Thank you for your Magnum Opus about Asian pop-culture, really informative. Also thanks guys R25 R43 I've never been in Asia, so I'm interested in

by Anonymousreply 49June 20, 2019 5:08 PM

The Chinese perspective is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 50June 20, 2019 5:15 PM

Nora Aunor.

by Anonymousreply 51June 20, 2019 5:18 PM

I would say that most of the US daytime and nighttime talk show hosts are relatively unknown outside of North America (The View, Jimmy Fallon, etc). Many sports stars/commentators as well. Also SNL...no-one gives a fuck about the show outside of the US.

by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2019 8:25 PM

The Ventures, a surf instrumental group around since the Sixties (with one original member) are or were huge in Japan. Japanese cover bands still upload videos to YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2019 9:17 PM

American news personalities are also unknown outside the US.

by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2019 10:26 PM

Retarded HIVe troll at R35. She’s known in MAYBE a dozen or so countries outside the US. Most other countries do not fall for the SJW worship culture that the US foists upon its people. Just look at “Single Ladies” chart runs around the world.

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2019 10:34 PM

R54 Mike Wallace is actually famous in China for his interview with Jiang Zemin. Anderson Cooper is kind of niche famous, too, probably for his look. Some US reporters are known as China hands. The New Yorker's Peter Hessler, whose River Town is even in my middle school English textbook, is a best-selling author in China. Evan Osnos and Nicholas Kristof have some readers too.

by Anonymousreply 56June 20, 2019 11:00 PM

Janet Jackson is a great example--very little sales outside of the United States but plenty within it. Her career heyday was before R&B and Rap really started to take off in the rest of the world (around the time Eminem hit it big with the Marshall Mathers LP).

by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2019 11:09 PM

What about Oprah and Barbara Walters in China?

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2019 11:14 PM

Oprah is famous, but not household famous. That said, I have seen every known Chinese hostess claim the title of "Oprah of China" in their PR releases or puff pieces (with the official recognition of Lu Yu, as linked). Barbara Walters are much less known in China than the incumbent talk show hosts such as Jimmys, Stephen, Conan and Ellen (but not Kelly Ripa or The View ladies). Among the former hosts, only Jon Stewart is known in China, not Letterman, Leno or Ferguson, let alone Carson. John Oliver is banned for his Xi Jinping episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2019 11:50 PM

Daniel Henney is popular in South Korea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 21, 2019 12:52 AM

Beyoncé is definetely famous in Europe, but unlike in the US, she's not worshipped like some kind of goddess here.

by Anonymousreply 61June 21, 2019 1:02 AM

"Most other countries do not fall for the SJW worship culture that the US foists upon its people."

Yawn, this is where the Republican Milo trolls claim she's only famous because of "SJWs" which is hilarious. She's had plenty of platinum albums and hit singles, and has been famous for 20 years. She wasn't "foisted" on anyone, she is genuinely popular and has been for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 62June 21, 2019 2:08 AM

Tina Turner was as big as Madonna in Europe for many years.

by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2019 2:27 AM

There are only two groups that genuinely care about Beyoncé: black women and gay men. Among other groups, the Beyoncé cult is highly performative. Just check her sales numbers: they don't reflect the fawning bestowed on her by US media.

by Anonymousreply 64June 21, 2019 2:39 AM

"Just check her sales numbers: they don't reflect the fawning bestowed on her by US media."

Huh? Her sales figures are huge.

by Anonymousreply 65June 21, 2019 3:27 AM

r65 No, they aren't. They really aren't.

by Anonymousreply 66June 21, 2019 3:48 AM

Carrie Fisher was well liked in the U.K.

by Anonymousreply 67June 21, 2019 4:53 AM

Marilyn Monroe. She is very popular EVERYWHERE. I was in Africa and saw her pictures several times a day.

by Anonymousreply 68June 21, 2019 5:04 AM

Madonna is well known world wide even if no longer popular in the sense of pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 69June 21, 2019 5:48 AM

Japan is really odd. I knew a guy who was a completely unknown musician here who made a Japanese commercial and became a sensation over there.

by Anonymousreply 70June 21, 2019 6:02 AM

R60 he should be more popular in the US.

by Anonymousreply 71June 21, 2019 7:50 AM

R66 is totally wrong.

by Anonymousreply 72June 21, 2019 4:35 PM

R59 Wow, Chen Luyu's English is great! Better than that of many native speakers.

by Anonymousreply 73June 21, 2019 4:56 PM

Barbra Streisand is virtually unknown outside the U.S. and UK.

by Anonymousreply 74June 22, 2019 12:12 AM

Johnny Depp and will smith

by Anonymousreply 75June 22, 2019 12:25 AM

True, r74. It's very surprising to many Americans how many celebrities who are huge stars in the US are not a big deal in the rest of the world. Oprah Winfrey is another one.

by Anonymousreply 76June 22, 2019 1:24 AM

Is M big overseas?

by Anonymousreply 77June 22, 2019 3:05 AM

If by M you mean Madonna, then yes. Probably more than in America.

by Anonymousreply 78June 22, 2019 3:07 AM

Keifer Sutherland is HUGE in Japan. He's ACTUALLY big in Japan, unlike all the other American celebrities who are claimed to be big in Japan. None of the women above is actually big in Japan except for Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 79June 22, 2019 3:11 AM

Audrey Hepburn is big in Japan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 22, 2019 3:36 AM

"Barbra Streisand is virtually unknown outside the U.S. and UK."

I've heard that she is (or was) huge in China, although I'm not sure how credible those reports were

by Anonymousreply 81June 23, 2019 2:38 AM

I remember reading that Twin Peaks and its cast was well loved in an European country. I can't remember which country it was.

by Anonymousreply 82June 23, 2019 3:03 AM

I’m watching some British reality TV and they play a lot of Beyoncé and Miley Cyrus

by Anonymousreply 83June 23, 2019 3:05 AM

The Kardashian’s are popular everywhere, unfortunately.

Surprisingly, the Mexican telanovelas are huge around the world — even with the heavy Catholic themes. The actors are super famous in these countries, more so than H’wood names.

by Anonymousreply 84June 23, 2019 8:22 AM

I think I would struggle knowing American soap stars.

Whatever the American equivalents of Ken Barlow from Coronation Street or Dot Cotton from Eastenders that type of thing.

by Anonymousreply 85June 23, 2019 8:28 AM

How big is Chrissy Metz in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 86June 23, 2019 8:32 AM

Don't know where people get the idea Oprah or Barbra Streisand are unknown outside of America - unless you mean in non English speaking countries. Don't think you'd find many British, Australians or New Zealanders who haven't heard of them.

by Anonymousreply 87June 23, 2019 9:31 AM

If Oprah or Barbra Streisand walked down the street in Paris, Buenos Aires, Mexico City or Tokyo nobody would know who the fuck they were. If Madonna walked down the street in any of those cities, she would be mobbed. Madonna is one celeb who is truly internationally famous.

by Anonymousreply 88June 23, 2019 2:15 PM

How famous is Jeremy Renner abroad?

R28 I know who Dan Shan is only because someone on Reddit is friends with him & mentioned how he became famous in China.

by Anonymousreply 89June 23, 2019 3:52 PM

R81 Unfortunately, the closest point that I can think of when Barbra Streisand reached her stardom in China was during her Smile duet in Modern Times, or when someone confuses her name with a so-bad-it's-become-a-cult-classic Chinese kids' show called Balala the Fairies.

R89 Jeremy Renner is probably lost in the zoo of too many Marvel stars. The biggest superhero actors in China are RDJ, Chris Evans and Hemsworth (but not Pratt or Pine), and, yes, Tom Hiddleston, who sates his fangirls with the following boyfriend POV commercial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 23, 2019 5:38 PM

Oprah is very much famous all over the world. People are lying, AS USUAL

by Anonymousreply 91June 23, 2019 7:23 PM

Tom Hiddleston is also popular in Russia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 23, 2019 7:35 PM

The Brits seem to love Dolly Parton. Look at the size of this crowd!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 23, 2019 7:46 PM

Interesting perspective, OP. The one thing we "foreigners" can't weigh in are those that are NOT known overseas. We just haven't heard of them.

I honestly suspect someone like Kyle Chandler is much better known in the US than he is outside. Here I would say he is mostly known for the TV show he used to do with the newspaper. I'm not sure people know his name, they may know his face. This is no diss on his talent or personality, btw - it's just that the projects he is in and the appeal he has seem to be very local to me, he doesn't project anything international in scope.

by Anonymousreply 94June 23, 2019 7:53 PM

When I went to live in the UK for a year I realised that people like Hugh Grant or Emma Thompson or obviously Kate Winslet were actually their international stars. There were a massive amount of English actors that were very well-known in the UK and that I had never, ever heard of.

This also made me realise who from France had an international profile (Juliette Binoche, Isabelle Huppert...) and who didn't (Isabelle Carré). It has nothing to do with talent btw. It has to do with where you want your career to go, what your possibilities and your appeal are.

Hugh Grant used to give English language classes to Juliette Binoche back when she was famous and he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 95June 23, 2019 7:57 PM

The only reason Billy Ray Cyrus is even remotely known outside the US is because he was in MULHOLLAND DR. and he's the father of Miley Cyrus (she is known globally). Dolly Parton is also a worldwide star. I'd say she's the only country singer everybody knows everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 96June 23, 2019 7:59 PM

R90 Thank you for the best laugh I've had all week! Off to torture the one Hiddleston fanboy I know.

by Anonymousreply 97June 23, 2019 8:01 PM

R4: True, apart of Dolly Parton and the ones who went pop like Taylor Swift or Shania Twain (or recently Maren Morris) country singers are not known in Spain either.

With the exceptions of the ones who had a successful single here like Lady Antebellum or the Dixie Chicks (probably forgotten by now but most people surely remember Need you now and Not ready to make nice)

R96: Not in Spain, he was known for Achy breachy heart (there was an spanish version that was successful more than a decade after the original) and of course he was on Hanna Montana and that was huge with children

by Anonymousreply 98June 23, 2019 8:01 PM

REM was popular in Germany and the U.K.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 23, 2019 8:02 PM

R31 Incredible about WATERLOO BRIDGE being huge in China. Its is my favourite melodrama for sure. I can see how the unhappy love story of two people whose fate is literally taken out of their hands would appeal to such an audience.

Have they seen or heard of the 1931 drama version of the same story? With young Bette Davis in a small part. The male protagonist is very cute. The film was directed by James Whale (yes, the main character from GODS AND MONSTERS).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 23, 2019 8:06 PM

R99: REM were popular in all Europe, Losing my religion is one of the songs of the 90's everywhere and it's still played

by Anonymousreply 101June 23, 2019 8:17 PM

Audrey Hepburn in Japan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 23, 2019 8:24 PM

[quote]How big is Chrissy Metz in the UK?

She weighs enough stone that she's officially classified as a "quarry."

by Anonymousreply 103June 23, 2019 8:50 PM

In that commercial you can really see how bad Tom Hiddleston's receding hairline is.

Is Steven Seagal still big in Japan?

It's interesting someone mentioned Miley Cyrus. Since the Disney Channel is in EVERY region in the world, promoted like crazy ($$), and plays the same shows over and over (dubbed in every language), all the big American Disney Channel stars are much more well-known internationally than the standard box office heroes. Raven Symone and Hilary Duff, Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Bros, Zac Efron and Zendaya.... in many countries all these names are bigger worldwide than box office stars people actually go to the movies for (like a Tom Cruise, or a Julia Roberts).

by Anonymousreply 104June 23, 2019 9:25 PM

Britney Spears is worldwide famous

by Anonymousreply 105June 23, 2019 9:35 PM

Paul Giamatti is huge in Spain, apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 23, 2019 9:46 PM

Willem Dafoe told a story on Seth Myers show about being in a restaurant in Italy. He could tell people sort of recognized him. He heard murmur, murmur, Mick Jagger! So, I don't know how many Americans would recognize him either. He was a good enough sport to do a brief, funny Mick Jagger imitation on the show.

by Anonymousreply 107June 24, 2019 2:46 AM

Clooney is mostly kown in Europe as a coffee salesman.

by Anonymousreply 108June 24, 2019 11:58 AM

[quote]Oprah is very much famous all over the world. People are lying, AS USUAL

As a South American, I can tell she really, really, really isn't. Why would she be famous globally? Most of her reputation comes from being a TV presenter and TV shows like hers don't travel internationally and across languages like music and acting do. Jay Leno, David Letterman, Megyn Kelly and other heavyweights of American television are equally unknown overseas.

Below is a story illustrating that she's failed to be recognized even in countries high in English language proficiency such as Switzerland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 24, 2019 12:04 PM

I wonder what it's like for American celebrities who aren't well-known outside the US when they travel. Does it bother them? Can their egos handle it? None of the talk show hosts or celebrity journalists are known in Europe, for example. I wonder if they get pissed that nobody knows who they are.

by Anonymousreply 110June 24, 2019 1:03 PM

Letterman is IMO better-known than the other late night hosts because he hosted the Oscars once.

by Anonymousreply 111June 24, 2019 1:12 PM

r111 Fame depends on continual public exposure, though. One event alone doesn't render enduring name recognition.

by Anonymousreply 112June 24, 2019 2:20 PM

R100 It was equally incredible for me when I first realized that Waterloo Bridge was not part of the cinematic pantheon in US, considering its status in China. The film was hugely popular when it first came to these shores in the 1940s, and it became one of the first dubbed Hollywood films in post-Mao China, where it remained popular for another decade or two. It helps that the film has a beautiful Chinese name, roughly Broken Souls at the Blue Bridge. The film made Auld Lang Syne very popular in China too.

The earlier version, however, is largely unknown, probably because Bette Davis is much less famous than Vivien Leigh in China.

R110 You can see exactly what it’s like in this video, where Conan O’Brien met an Italian saleswoman who didn’t know him, until a group of Korean tourists in the shop recognized him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 24, 2019 4:31 PM

Waterloo Bridge lover who posted earlier here. This has always been one of my favourite films from the first time I saw it, some 25+ years ago. Was always surprised it wasn't better-known and better-loved. Glad to hear it got recognition somewhere, and yes, Broken Souls at the Blue Bridge is a beautiful title.

by Anonymousreply 114June 24, 2019 4:48 PM

I was hoping in other countries they would have higher standards than us. Tom Cruise. I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 115June 24, 2019 5:13 PM

Cher. They go mad for her in the UK, 2 nights at the 02 arena coming up. Even when her records didn't do as well in the US, they always sold well there.

by Anonymousreply 116June 24, 2019 5:24 PM

There are loads of American actors who mean nothing outside the US. There are often threads on DL about them. Constance Wu is an example. Then there are all the chat show types. Someone said upthread that no one really cares about Oprah outside the US and that’s largely true. Same for Kimmel, Conan, Colbert etc. I’m sure the same can be said for English actors too. And so on.

Howeve, YouTube stars may have more reach ( if far less talent ).

by Anonymousreply 117June 24, 2019 5:58 PM

[quote]I was hoping in other countries they would have higher standards than us. Tom Cruise. I guess not.

Tom Cruise is bad enough, but the fact that the Kardashians are popular abroad is just depressing.

by Anonymousreply 118June 24, 2019 9:12 PM

Johnny Carson enjoyed vacations in France. He was relieved to not be constantly recognized.

by Anonymousreply 119June 25, 2019 12:16 AM

What does China think of Constance Wu?

Do people there watch Fresh Off the Boat and Crazy Rich Asians? What do they think of Chinese only speaking English? Do they think that’s weird?

by Anonymousreply 120June 25, 2019 10:20 AM

Elizabeth Taylor is big China Taiwan and all mandarin speaking parts of Asia. Pop singer Yoga Lin's enduring hit song [眼色Color of Your Eyes] even incorporated her name in it as tribute to her and to her role as Cleopatra.

by Anonymousreply 121June 25, 2019 8:42 PM

R120 Constance Wu is probably less known in China than in Taiwan, where her show is actually aired and her family originally came from. In recent years, however, she and her show have been taking heat from the islanders for downplaying their Taiwanese background to appeal to a potentially larger audience across Greater China.

I don’t think people here bother with Chinese American speaking English as much as they bother with Chinese American speaking Chinese, when they can’t speak Chinese. That said, Crazy Rich Asians was a flop in China. There are many reasons, but the linked article gets the gist of it.

Though a TV star like Wu is less likely to be known overseas than a movie star, there are some very popular American TV shows in China. The best-known shows include Man from Atlantis, the first American TV show aired in China; Friends, from which a generation of Chinese students learn English and American culture; Prison Break, the milestone of China’s fansub culture and online piracy (BTW, piracy in China has its specific context: think of a digital samizdat in a country where Western influence is constrained, media censored, Netflix and most of the foreign streamers and video sites unaccessible). Other notable shows include Gossip Girl, 2 Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory (much bigger than HIMYM), House of Cards (popular among Chinese politicians, according to Wang Qishan), and Game of Thrones. British shows such as Sherlock and Black Mirror (I know it’s an American show now) are also popular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 27, 2019 8:08 AM

Most of the blind items I read, I don't know any of the names suggested in the comments section. I think there are probably tons of stars that we are totally unaware of.

by Anonymousreply 123June 27, 2019 8:30 AM

Oprah is only famous here because she was a talk show host. I doubt younger people would recognise her.

by Anonymousreply 124June 27, 2019 8:35 AM

No-one under the age of 45 here in the UK would have any idea who Barbra Streisand is.

by Anonymousreply 125June 27, 2019 8:53 AM

Lucille Ball was never very big here in the U.K. The U.K. also doesn’t know non fictional US TV personalities.

By Contrast, the UK generally think Russell Brand is a dick and he was just known as a TV presenter here and nobody could believe it when he became famous in America. Likewise with James Cordon. Cordon was actually a decent actor who became really well known because of Gavin & Stacey. Then he started appearing on the TV all the time and was really irritating. Catherine Zeta Jones was also just a TV actress who did some presenting and music stuff. She too became way more famous in America than she’d been here.

by Anonymousreply 126June 27, 2019 9:51 AM

Would some American DLers tell me: How do you like Mariah Carey? Is she considered as a big star in the US?

She is generally assumed as a diva-level star on the Chinese Internet, as big as Beyonce and Rihanna, primarily because of the I-don't-know-her meme. But I was once told by some American that she was barely a big deal in the US, more like a washed-up singer. It kind of surprised me.

by Anonymousreply 127June 27, 2019 6:50 PM

Mariah Carey was HUGE in the 1990s, but she's been washed-up for a long time now, and seen as a joke. Of course, her personal behavior is so bizarre she really did it to herself.

by Anonymousreply 128June 27, 2019 8:58 PM

[quote] In recent years, however, she and her show have been taking heat from the islanders for downplaying their Taiwanese background to appeal to a potentially larger audience across Greater China.

The show recently did a several-episode-long story arc about Eddie (the eldest son) going to Taiwan; some of it was filmed there.

by Anonymousreply 129June 28, 2019 12:29 AM

R129 Oh OK. I am not following the show. I was actually talking about a couple of years ago when the supposedly Taiwanese American family displayed the PRC (instead of ROC) flag in the show. It made a fuss in Taiwan then.

by Anonymousreply 130June 30, 2019 11:27 AM

What about music? The osmond brothers were huge in the U.K. more so than in the states ...they filled stadiums all over when they did their 50th anniversary..

by Anonymousreply 131June 30, 2019 11:34 AM

SNL is virtually unknown outside the US.

by Anonymousreply 132June 30, 2019 12:36 PM

R131 I think it might have been kitsch/ironic.

by Anonymousreply 133June 30, 2019 1:01 PM

Meghan

by Anonymousreply 134June 30, 2019 1:30 PM

Joan Baez probably has a bigger following now in Europe than in the US. I'd say she's been more popular in Europe than in the US since the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 135June 30, 2019 2:36 PM

Dolly is not the only well known US country singer, Tammy Wynette is known in the UK because she is justified and ancient and drives an ice cream van.

by Anonymousreply 136June 30, 2019 3:00 PM

Hey, just remembered the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, a British comedian that just about nobody has ever heard of in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 137June 30, 2019 3:03 PM

[quote]SNL is virtually unknown outside the US.

But I assume the stars that came out of SNL and became big in movies are well-known. (Bill Murray, Adam Sandler, Belushi, Mike Myers, et. al.)

by Anonymousreply 138June 30, 2019 3:35 PM

Not all of them r138. Adam Sandler is not known internationally.

by Anonymousreply 139June 30, 2019 10:50 PM

But I wonder if US comedies do not do so well in other countries. I wonder if people like Seth Rogen and his gang are famous outside of the US.

by Anonymousreply 140June 30, 2019 11:45 PM

Adam Sandler and Seth Rogan are famous in Britain R139 and R140.

by Anonymousreply 141June 30, 2019 11:47 PM

What about the Killers? Are they more popular in the US or overseas?

by Anonymousreply 142July 1, 2019 3:06 PM

They were huge at Glastonbury this year, so still big in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 143July 1, 2019 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!