Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Americans are saying they need a variety of animals — dogs, ducks, even insects — for their mental health

But critics say many are really just pets that do not merit special status, what say you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2019 12:00 PM

I won't pay to read the NYT. Is this some of this support animal horse shit?

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 2:13 PM

Insects??? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 2:13 PM

I would like to make a case for an emotional support dick in my mouth during a transcontinental flight. It would really calm me down.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 2:22 PM

Giving a BJ in front of everyone in an airplane would not comfort me at all.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 2:30 PM

“Emotional support animal” is the biggest load of horseshit this side of the Kentucky Derby. Get a teddy bear.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 2:32 PM

Moo!

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 2:34 PM

No poll, OP?

Fail.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 2:40 PM

I think it sucks that the prime of my life is taking place at such an idiotic time in our history.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 2:42 PM

In the comfort of their own home? Sure! In public, in restaurants, shopping, or on planes? FUCK RIGHT OFF with your emotional support Guinea pig, Jerry. Suck it up or stay home, you wuss assed bitch.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 2:42 PM

[quote]But critics say many are really just pets that do not merit special status, what say you?

Many? Try the vast majority.

An unnatural attachment to your pet doesn't mean you "need" it for your mental health. It means that you need help. If you cannot travel or function without having the pet with you, then you probably should stay home or in a mental health institution.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 2:46 PM

This all started when Jon Arbuckle started taking Garfield and Odie everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 2:54 PM

[quote]I won't pay to read the NYT. Is this some of this support animal horse shit?

Yes, it is. I'm all for supporting real trained service animals that people who are blind or physically disabled. But, the "emotional support" animal crap has gone too far. A few years ago I worked at a mall jewelry store for several months after being laid off from another job. There was a woman in her early 20s who worked with me. She claimed that she mental health issues which included OCD/germ phobia issues, anxiety, and depression. She and her boyfriend adopted a beagle and said the dog was getting training for service and emotional support. She never took the dog to work. But, I along with other co-workers did see her on her off days with the the dog at the mall and I ran her into at a grocery store with the dog in tow. The dog had one of those support animal vests which was probably fake.

Most of us didn't believe her claims about her OCD condition or the dog being trained. When I first started working with her she would talk about being worried about getting sick from the germs customers would bring into the store. But, any time people came in with babies or small kids-- she would go and talk and try to play with the kids or she would ask to the hold the babies. I thought it was odd that she would be complaining one moment about being worried about customers bringing in germs and then asking to play or hold babies and kids whenever they strolled in.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2019 3:13 PM

I know this may sound cold-hearted, but I think we should encourage and support people's independence in the early stages of childhood. Self sufficient children grow into self sufficent adults who don't get scared and overwhelmed easily.

Our society breeds insecurity and dependency. Adults who can't trust their own intuition and need someone to guide them or to hold their hands while they go potty.

People may mock Life Coaches and emotional support animals, but they are the logical consequence of a society that tells you that you are a helpless piece of shit who is broken and needs pharmaceutical drugs and other gimmicks to even function on a basic, snake oil driven society approved, level.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2019 3:17 PM

The whole country has PTSD Let these people h ave their bit of tenderness in the form of their pets.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2019 3:23 PM

Self-hate, or specie-ism resulting in misplaced emotional assets. Love each other, humans.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2019 3:25 PM

This happens when you believe that you are not enough to support yourself and you need an outside support system like a support animal.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2019 3:30 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Vice. But, I did love their take down of fake service dogs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2019 3:32 PM

I'd love to have a pet for any reason, but I know I may have difficulty taking care of it - so no pet. Does this ever occur to these idiots in their own selfish lives?

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2019 3:35 PM

They're all people who were coddled as children and now want to be coddled as adults. They want attention and special treatment. Another societal ill we can chalk to the baby boomers and their idiotic overprotective child-rearing.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2019 3:38 PM

Freaks

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2019 3:48 PM

[quote]and I ran her into at a grocery store with the dog in tow.

Oh, how I wish this wasn’t a typo and you did run her into a grocery store, preferably with a truck.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2019 3:48 PM

Americans are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2019 6:32 PM

Emotional support ant is pushing it a bit!

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2019 6:40 PM

Listen bitches, I need my emotional support duck to get through the day. You don't know what it's like to work at a Starbucks in Tampa!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2019 7:06 PM

“I take him in the shower, in the bath, and outside,” he said, adding that the duck wears a diaper inside the house to avoid messes. “He will follow me wherever I go.”

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2019 7:07 PM

I used to work at a Trader Joe's in L.A. The first few years I worked there, we had two "regulars" with service dogs -- a paraplegic with a Golden Retriever, and an epileptic with a Yorkie that alerted her to oncoming seizures. Both 100% legitimate, highly-trained animals that ALWAYS wore their service vests & credentials. Occasionally, a clueless 20-something might wander in with their dog -- "Oh, I can't bring my dog into a grocery store? I didn't know that." (and leave right away) -- but generally speaking, that Retriever & Yorkie were the only two dogs we EVER saw in the store.

And then, somewhere around 2011-12, the bullshit started. I remember our first encounter with an alleged "emotional support" dog, the first time I'd heard that term (as opposed to "service dog"). Thirty-something guy shopping with a very intimidating-looking, but very mellow/well-behaved, Pit-bull mix. No service vest. One of the Mates (asst. managers) approached and politely informed him that pets weren't allowed in the store. He told the Mate that it was an "Emotional Support" animal, and offered that he had a PTSD diagnosis. The Mate commented, "Oh, I didn't see a service vest...." and the guy shot back to read up on the law. The dog isn't required to wear a vest, nor is he required carry any sort of proof/credentials. All of which is true....and insane.

So, we started seeing that guy & dog regularly....and it just seemed to snowball from there. People started catching onto the fact that they only had to say, "It's a service/emotional support animal", and that was end of the conversation. Didn't need a vest, didn't need proof -- they just had to have the dog under control. If a dog was being a nuisance -- barking, lunging, marking/defecating, etc. (which, of course, a legit service dog will never do) -- then a manager could ask them to remove the dog.

At first, it was a trickle -- maybe a couple dogs a week. Then within a year or so, there were a couple of "service dogs" in the store on a daily basis. It got to the point where the Corp. Office directed the store managers NOT to approach people with dogs, at all (unless dog was being a nuisance). Don't even ask "Is this a service animal?" -- although it IS perfectly legal to ask that. (it's one of the two things you CAN ask, legally). They were receiving too many complaints from (faux)outraged customers who felt that it was "harrassment" to even be asked: "Is this a service-animal?"

Fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2019 9:34 PM

If I own a store outright, may I post a conspicuous sign at my entrance that says:

"NO emotional service animals allowed inside -- ONLY SERVICE ANIMALS IN UNIFORM." "Emotional Support Violators will be euthanized on the spot."

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2019 9:41 PM

I've dealt with depression off and on since my teen years. I will say that there were times at home my pets brought me some comfort and support. But, I don't believe in taking animals everywhere under the excuse of emotional support. My pets stay at home.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2019 10:07 PM

This is another story that shows how shitty regulations regarding service dogs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2019 10:25 PM

I saw someone at the ballet last night (at the Met) who brought her "emotional support" dog in one of those tiny little carry bags. How is that good for the dog? Happily, she was not sitting next to me....

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2019 10:29 PM

Is it really “Americans”, or is it just stupid people??

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2019 10:31 PM

Canada is having issues with the fake service dog problem too. I'm sure they also have to deal with "emotional support" animal issues as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2019 10:47 PM

I take my support insects on me wherever I go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2019 11:09 PM

I have never heard emotional support animals mentioned outside DL.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2019 11:11 PM

I do too, r33!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2019 11:13 PM

I want naked men

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2019 11:14 PM

Got a letter from a psychiatrist so I could have a dog in my apt. Wrong, I know, but I had to get around the no-pet rule.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2019 11:19 PM

This only happens in America or in countries under heavy American influence, such as Canada. I think this deserves some sort of investigation.

My thesis is this: Americans feel resentful because they secretly feel exploited by the socioeconomic system of their country. But instead of fighting for more rights as workers and taxpayers, they come up with complaints upon complaints against companies that rob them of their pocket change as a mechanism compensation. Europeans, who live in a system that, though far from perfect, is fairer, more compassionate towards the poor, less exploitative of the middle class, do not feel so oppressed, and therefore do not launch such passive-aggressive campaigns against the market.

Any other ideas?

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2019 11:19 PM

Emotional and sexual support EEL.

A man has refused to tell doctors how an eel managed to get stuck up his anus while he was drunk.

The man in his 40s, who did not want to be named, was taken for treatment at Nanchang University hospital in eastern China where x-rays revealed the creature was in his abdomen.

Doctors said the Asian swamp eel had wriggled its way up the man’s body and was causing a serious obstruction.

The eel – a delicacy in coastal China – was eventually removed from the man’s body and he is now recovering in hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2019 11:20 PM

Y’all know I have to fly with Fluffy, my emotional support piranha!

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2019 11:23 PM

I love R27! I'd shop at his store anytime!

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2019 11:27 PM

Well, exactly, R28. My dogs make me feel generally happier/better about life when I'm with them. But I don't need them with me for a 20-30 minute trip to Trader Joe's....no matter how awful the parking lot is.

The other thing that drove us nuts about the fake service dog owners with smaller dogs -- they would put their dogs IN the shopping carts (usually in the kiddie seat) while shopping. That's a violation of L.A. county/city health codes. Legit service-dog owners, like the epileptic lady with the seizure-sensing Yorkie, knew that (and never did it). But the fakers ALWAYS wanted to argue the point, when asked to remove the dog from the cart.

"But it's a SERVICE dog!" (didn't matter)....."But he/she is on a blanket, not touching the cart!" (didn't matter)....."I'm only going to be a few minutes" (didn't matter)....and "My dog is probably cleaner than this cart!" That was almost always true... but also, completely irrelevant. Many claimed that was harrassment, too, and threatened to call the corporate office.

And on the flip-side.... we had customers bitching at us that we "allowed" people to put their dogs in the carts, and they were going to call the Corporate office to complain. There was just no fucking winning. I think it's pretty easy to understand how/why we all started looking at the (alleged) service/ES dog owners with suspicion & derision....

by Anonymousreply 42June 20, 2019 12:09 AM

R37......I had a former neighbor who also did that, just so she & her husband could get into a great/inexpensive apartment building which didn't allow pets. She claimed PTSD, due to a partial mastectomy, 4-5 years earlier.....and a family-friend psychologist signed off on it. At first, that's all that mattered to her; getting into that apartment building. I kinda thought it was funny....that she actually made it happen.

But then, she became enamored of all the other things it entitled her to -- like flying with the dog in the passenger cabin, or taking him into grocery stores & restaurants. And she became fucking insufferable, took the dog everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 43June 20, 2019 12:48 AM

I can't go anywhere without my emotional support [italic]Variola major[/italic] and [italic]Variola minor[/italic]. *cough cough*

by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2019 1:03 AM

[quote] Got a letter from a psychiatrist so I could have a dog in my apt. Wrong, I know, but I had to get around the no-pet rule

Your landlord is a sap. To qualify for an ESA exception under Fair Housing you have to be DISABLED by a mental illness. The reason why the mail order doctor letters are fake is because no decent mental health professional would diagnose someone with a mental healthy disability unless they were 6 months with the qualifying symptoms.

Service dogs are not required to wear any type of vest or carry documentation. That is federal law and you cannot impose those conditions.

Store and other establishment managers/owners are idiots. They can ask 2 questions: 1. Is that a service animal? and if so, 2. what task has the dog been trained to perform to alleviate the disability.

Comfort is not a task. Emotional support is not a task.

Further, if the animal displays non-service dog behavior (relieving itself, barking, going after any other dog or people, sniffing objects when that is not the trained task, even "tracking" with their eyes another animal or person like a child, animal not under proper control of handler, and many more non-service behaviors) they can ask that the dog be removed. Doesn't matter if it's a service dog or not. Non-service dog behavior - you're excluded. Period. Establishments need to get off their butts and do a tiny bit of research like Google.

by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2019 1:22 AM

Leave your fucking animals at home. If you can't travel without them being physically on top of you, leave your fucking self at home.

It's not complicated.

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2019 1:30 AM

Just to add:

Only Service dogs have access privileges to public establishments. They are covered under the ADA. Emotional Support Animals (ESAs) do not have the right to public access. Period.

Emotional Support Animals you want to live with you are covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Federal Fair Housing Amendments Act (FHAA) of 1988. Landlords, condo boards, etc can set rules for the ESAs such as areas off-limits, the rotue the ESA may take into your apartment. Again you need a prescription for an ESA but only after you have been formally diagnosed with an emotional or mental health disability. That usually takes 6 months to get a proper diagnosis. So temporary emotional issues shouldn't be the basis. Emotional Support Animals are also covered under the Air Carrier Access Act. Airlines, however, can deny access or remove an ESA for other reasons besides you didn't meet their own access requirements - because of safety reasons airlines are allowed greater leeway to deny or remove ESAs.

by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2019 1:34 AM

R42 R45 R47 replies will help me fall asleep tonight. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 48June 20, 2019 9:52 AM

R39 I'm glad the eel is recovering. What happened to the guy?

by Anonymousreply 49June 20, 2019 10:41 AM

Only in America!

"American Airlines has announced that reptiles, rodents, and goats will not be allowed to fly on their flights, even if they’re emotional support animals. These animals and a sizable list of others have been banned from flying on the airline due to safety issues."

by Anonymousreply 50June 20, 2019 10:51 AM

Some fuckwit left his emotional support snake on a flight

Passengers on a commuter flight in Alaska received a shock when the pilot took to the intercom with an announcement: There was a snake loose on the plane.

The passengers said Ravn Alaska flight 7133 from Aniak to Anchorage started out normally Sunday, but took a Hollywoodesque turn when the pilot made an announcement about 15 minutes after takeoff.

"Guys, we have some loose snake on the plane, but we don't know where it is," the BBC quoted the pilot as saying.

Anna McConnaughy said it did not take long the find the serpent.

"Almost right away after that announcement a boy who was sitting with his mother in the last row found the snake hidden behind his seat. The flight attendant and the pilot took control over the situation right away," McConnaughy told KTVA-TV.

The snake was asleep and partially covered by a duffel bag, witnesses said.

McConnaughy snapped photos of a flight attendant picking up the large yellow snake, which was not venomous, and placing it in a trash bag.

Ravn Alaska said the snake had been left behind by a passenger on the plane's previous flight from Anchorage to Aniak. Spokesman William Walsh said the snake had been brought aboard the flight without the airline's knowledge.

"For the purpose of preserving cabin safety for the greater traveling public, Ravn Alaska prohibits all rodents, ferrets, reptiles, snakes, insects or any type of venomous or poisonous creature from being used as an emotional support animal," Walsh said.

It was unclear whether the passenger would face any charges for smuggling the snake aboard the plane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 20, 2019 10:59 AM

R39 for some reason it doesn't surprise me that the story takes place in China.

by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2019 11:30 AM

[quote]These animals and a sizable list of others have been banned from flying on the airline due to safety issues

Were piranhas on that list? Asking for r40.

by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2019 12:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!