Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What were (and are) some of the most miserable sets on television (Part 2!)

The original thread seems to have broken or something. So carry on!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2021 1:11 PM

The Dallas cast was a happier set aside from Victoria Principal - set was the Shelley Long of the nighttime soap it seemed

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2019 11:20 PM

R1 the first thread works fine for me.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2019 7:28 AM

It does for me r2, in Web. It’s okay this one will do when that’s full.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2019 8:10 PM

Any gossip on the bts of Will and Grace?

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2019 4:07 AM

Family Matters! It was not unheard of for a show to refocus on a popular cast member (ie Family Ties/Michael J Fox), but for a family-centered sitcom to switch to THE SHRILL, ANNOYING NEIGHBOR? They wrote out a daughter with no explanation and the mom was so miserable she left the series with just 9 episodes to go! Ruining syndication with confusion over the interloping, new mom for only a handful of episodes at the end.

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2019 4:00 PM

I was a production assistant on the HBO show Carnivalé. It was a VERY difficult set to be on. The budget was gigantic for its time (pre- Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones) and there were a lot of shooting delays because of the period elements, special effects, and the huge ensemble cast. HBO execs were constantly breathing down our necks and the creator wasn't allowed to be the sole showrunner because he had never worked in Hollywood before, so there was a lot of head-butting about whose vision it was and the direction of the show, which he had already planned out as I believe he'd written a few novels worth of the story that became the show. I think he became sole showrunner on season 2 (which I didn't work on) and had even more trouble with the execs.

It's also no secret that Nick Stahl (who played the lead) has suffered from substance abuse issues for years. I think he was even a missing person in real life at some point, and while shooting this he was always hard to get on-set, would frequently disappear, and they had to cut quite a few of his scenes just because of the time constraints. He was popular with the rest of the cast though and an extremely nice guy in my (very limited) interactions with him). Just very troubled.

by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2019 6:11 PM

America’s got talent apparently

by Anonymousreply 7December 24, 2019 3:53 AM

At one time, I was sorely tempted to write a Roman a clef murder mystery about the making of those stupid "Fifty Shades" movies.

I'd heard that the leads hated each other, the male lead despised the material, and the idiot amateur frau who wrote the godawful books had creative control and was on the set causing mayhem all day. Now, wouldnt that make a great setup for a murder mystery? Someone kills yhe horrible amateur frau author, and everyone there had a motive...

by Anonymousreply 8December 24, 2019 6:46 AM

50 shades of grey not television. Boo!

by Anonymousreply 9December 25, 2019 3:02 AM

[Quote] the male lead despised the material,

Oh boo hoo. No one forced him to take the role.

by Anonymousreply 10December 25, 2019 10:48 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 11February 5, 2020 3:00 AM

Bump again!

I've been binging Shameless since I cut the cord a few months ago, and it was briefly mentioned in the previous thread that except for William H. Macy, the cast hated Emmy Rossum and was glad when she left. Is she a straight-up nasty person or just actressy and affected?

by Anonymousreply 12September 6, 2020 7:28 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2020 6:29 AM

Watching Vampire Diaries and on season 6. the amount of chemistry between Ian and Nina is totally missing since she's not on the show anymore. i'm thinking i'll re-watch The Originals instead of hanging out through the next 2 seasons, but it makes ok background stuff while i work from home. we'll see. so far it seems lame.

it's weird...Nina and Ian had amazing chemistry on the show and were a couple in real life and then it was just over and he was on to Nikki Reid immediately. maybe that's why she left the show pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2021 7:29 AM

I had a producer fired who was later caught with child p0rn. I own this thread. At least that tramp Julie McCullough was over 18 when she exposed herself in that dirty magazine and when she played an unmarried pregnant girl for those dessicated harlots [italic]The Golden Girls[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2021 7:50 AM

No info here, but I am guessing most of the actors on Curb Your Enthusiasm detested Larry David and it was hell to work there, especially as there was no script and they were required to improvise.

by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2021 8:06 AM

R16 Some actors really get off on improvising. In any case it wouldn't be a surprise for them, why would they detest Larry David?

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2021 8:55 AM

Too late R8, E L James was already murdered on Twitter when she had a Q&A:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2021 9:55 AM

It was always funny watching EL James during an interview, you could tell she wanted to appear smart by having her glasses in her hair, as if it made her look like she had just finished reading prior to being on camera. Just made her look like even more of a fat twat.

by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2021 10:11 AM

R17 is right. A lot of actors and comedians are in fact very impressed with their powers of improvisation. I've seen actors make the [very] occasional funny remark when something goes wrong in a scripted performance, but I've NEVER seen an improv show that could be sensibly called "entertainment". I have no idea how audiences deem this a skill.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is worth watching because Larry David is a genius at comic plotting, but it would be much improved (see what I did there) if he'd bothered to script it. As it is, everyone sounds like Woody Allen on a bad day.

by Anonymousreply 20April 8, 2021 10:58 AM

R14 Nikki's always been a messy bitch. I'm surprised they have lasted this long. I also love how Ian still likes to talk shit about Nina. He's one of the reasons she left TVD along with some drama involving Chris Wood (who's fucked around with an actress on every CW show) and is now married to DL fave Melissa Benoist.

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2021 6:35 AM

r21 i've heard that about Nikki as well, she seems a bit of a mess.

i wasn't aware that Ian talks shit about Nina, that's low, especially they seemed to be so close (professionally and personally).

I also heard about the Chris Wood shit as well. it sounds like she just wasn't down with it all, cut her losses and decided her personal life and career would survive that shit, and if that is the case, i am happy she did what she needed to do to get out of that situation. it's just kind of sad it turned out the way it did, but happy for everyone for better mental health. i guess we all grow up and realize we need to go a different way in our lives than others expect us to.

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2021 6:47 AM

[Quote] i've heard that about Nikki as well, she seems a bit of a mess.

Which isn't exactly a secret thanks to Thirteen.

[Quote] i wasn't aware that Ian talks shit about Nina, that's low, especially they seemed to be so close (professionally and personally).

The last snarky comment Ian made was about Nina's diet and having tart breath 😄 Oh the horror. I think he does it because of the attention from TVD stans.

[Quote] it sounds like she just wasn't down with it all, cut her losses and decided her personal life and career would survive that shit, and if that is the case, i am happy she did what she needed to do to get out of that situation.

I would have left too. But her career doesn't seem to be on the upswing. I think she's got some wine business with Julianne Hough? Who now has her own devoted thread on here because of Ben Barnes.

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2021 7:00 AM

After Nina and Ian broke up he was the jerk, but also the show's fan favorite, and the female lead got the "suck it up, buttercup!" treatment from the show's producers, so she left.

I wonder how happy the set of the still-on-air spin off Legacies is with Mathew Davis being a total Deplorable?

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2021 7:21 AM

Greys Anatomy, full off divas from the top down. Ellen couldn't stand that even though she was the star she had the least interesting storylines, Sandra got on with it and only really clashed with Patrick, everyone knows about Isaiah and T.R., Eric constantly had young girls in his dressing room, Chyler was dealing with her mental health issues and wasn't helped by the frostiness from Ellen due to her feeling threatened by another main in the cast with the last name Grey. The set is still a mess but now Ellen has almost full control, so from her point of view it's a much better place than it was during the first 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2021 7:24 AM

[Quote] Chyler was dealing with her mental health issues and wasn't helped by the frostiness from Ellen due to her feeling threatened by another main in the cast with the last name Grey.

And Chyler's husband recently went on a twitter rant about her affair with Jesse.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2021 7:32 AM

Doesn't surprise me, Jesse gets about.

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2021 7:34 AM

I literally thought this was about bad set design. I was sitting here thinking, wow, DL people are really detail oriented and specific in their TV watching.

by Anonymousreply 28April 10, 2021 7:38 AM

Nope, we were just chatting about set politics. they exist.

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2021 7:40 AM

R27 which makes all his speeches about black women look even more phony. I feel sorry for his ex wife.

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2021 7:50 AM

R30 Especially as he seems to go for white women most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 31April 11, 2021 11:46 AM

2 white women out of a whole bunch of SOs is not “most of the time”

by Anonymousreply 32April 11, 2021 12:19 PM

R32 ok Jesse 🙄

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2021 1:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!