Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s discuss the movie “Unfaithful” (2002) and Diane Lanes brilliant performance

She should have won that Oscar.

Love her brilliant performance and love this movie as a whole. One of my favorites of its genre.

I just wish someone else were cast over Richard Gere. I didn’t find him very believable in some scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 27, 2020 3:00 AM

The snow globe scene greatly disturbed me!

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 12:18 AM

The scene where Diane is riding the train back to Westchester lost in her own thoughts is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 12:35 AM

Yes, she did some good acting in that movie. Richard Gere is always kind of wooden to me.

The subject matter is an old story (the real cost of infidelity in a marriage). This movie really made you think twice about having a fling.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 12:39 AM

Brilliant acting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 1:26 AM

I remember when this movie came out Diane Lane was touted as some old lady and Olivier Martinez as her boytoy. She's only a year older than him -- and she had recently turned 37 when the film was released!

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 1:38 AM

Richard gere was miscast. He seems too easy going and cerebral to go off the deep end like that.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 5:58 AM

Richard Gere was 100% miscast.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 10:51 AM

Go back to your suburbs!

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 10:53 AM

Oh boy that stairway scene!

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 10:59 AM

I can never remember, is Olivier Martinez the guy who was beat up by crazy Halle Berry's new piece , or was he the guy dishing out the beating?

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 11:02 AM

I love Diane. I always forget her (and so does everyone else) , but she has to be the prettiest and most talented leading Lady of her generation. She always seems to be on the brink of stardom, and then it doesn't happen. Her time has passed now. Wonder why it didn't happen for her. She was fantastic in "a perfect storm" when she did her big come-back. She reminds me of Nat. Wood.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 11:09 AM

Diane doesn’t care about fame. I love watching her in interviews.

R10 I think he’s the one that earned the beating and got it.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2019 11:17 AM

Pure speculation but I think she was passed over because she wouldn't put out. Similar to Jennifer Connolly..

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2019 9:22 PM

Diane Lane was great in the movie and could you get any more beautiful than oliver martinez? That film was shot at the height of his male beauty.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2019 9:54 PM

Acting experts — what in particular stands out in Diane’s performance?

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2019 10:25 PM

Has anyone seen the French film this one was based on? Is it worth checking out?

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2019 11:47 PM

It's one of my all-time fave's. I often wonder if they turn themselves in at the end

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2019 11:51 PM

The train scene is similar to a train scene with Streep in "Falling in Love".

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2019 12:16 AM

Oh no! She sucks! She’s no Meryl!!

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2019 12:19 AM

She gave a beautiful performance

by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2019 12:17 AM

She truly is beautiful - then and now. The Outsiders is playing on AMC now and she was so beautiful. Still is. Streets of Fire, Lady Beware, The Big Town, Under the Tuscan Sun, she is great.

Interesting, she'll be playing Kevin Costner's wife again in her next movie. He's ten years older. And she's 55!

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2020 4:09 AM

Did anyone else laugh at the snowglobe scene?

by Anonymousreply 22February 11, 2020 4:19 AM

I don't think she was so great.

She was OK.

Weird casting that. odd looking kid as the son of those two handsome parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2020 4:20 AM

[quote]Did anyone else laugh at the snowglobe scene?

Which one?

by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2020 4:21 AM

Richard Burton's daughter played one of the fraus who know her from the suburbs, in that café across the street from Olivier's. That was a good scene.

by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2020 4:23 AM

R24 the scene where Gere hits his wife's hot new piece. I know it wasn't supposed to be comical but I giggled a bit

by Anonymousreply 26February 11, 2020 4:33 AM

Olivier's accent was atrocious.

When Frenchies act in American films it sounds so odd - like singing the wrong words to a song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 11, 2020 4:36 AM

Yes R11. Diane is a beautiful pretty pretty woman. Lovely. I can't resist her. She's also a beautiful understated actress.

by Anonymousreply 28February 11, 2020 4:37 AM

It's been a very long time since I saw the film, if I remember correctly didn't Diane's character know at the end that her husband offed her lover?

by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2020 4:42 AM

I just remember the scene where there is a big wind in the street that blows up her dress. Those kinds of scenes always make me wonder how many takes they did to get the special effects right. Hate Gere - he has absence, not presence.

by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2020 4:43 AM

I don't think Gere was miscast. The movie showed that even a handsome husband can be cuckolded. Plus, the murder was set up psychologically by our seeing Gere as a tyrannical boss who callously fires an employee. Thus, Gere's sudden eruption into murder when he hears that his wife gave her lover a special snowglobe that Gere had bought, is eminently credible. Later, when he cries out, "I didn't want to kill him; I wanted to kill YOU!" we believe him. But he loves his wife, so he spares her and for a brief moment thinks his nightmare was only that.

Diane Lane, IMO, portrayed the all-consuming, mind and body, nature of lust 100% accurately. The initial trepidatious phone call; the later planning and lying; the guilty gift of the sweater; her inability to remember her maternal duties or to pay attention to her friends; her risk-taking with adulterous sex and affection in public places; her uncontrollable need to turn her car around to see Olivier, only to become a madwoman when she finds him with another, younger woman.

And once the storm of lust and murder has given way to clear skies, the couple understand what they must do: confess. He

by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2020 5:13 AM

R29, Yes, because she sees that her husband has brought back the snowglobe.

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2020 5:16 AM

Delete that "He" in r31.

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2020 5:17 AM

R32 Thanks. I vaguely recalled that she found out somehow but couldn't remember the details

by Anonymousreply 34February 11, 2020 5:31 AM

r13 Jennifer Connelly is a great lady, worked on a film she was in and she was the only one of the cast who came to the crew party.

by Anonymousreply 35February 11, 2020 5:46 AM

We need more directors like Adrian Lyne - who makes films for adults. He's always made interesting films. He is directing the new Ben Affleck film, which is the first film he's directed since Unfaithful.

He usually gets strong performance form his female leads - Cherie Currie and Jodie Foster in Foxes; Jennifer Beals in Flashdance; Kim Basinger in 9 1/2 Weeks; Glenn in Fatal Attraction; Melanie Griffith in Lolita and, of course, Lane in Unfaithful.

by Anonymousreply 36February 11, 2020 5:56 AM

When Diane eats the candy she has made her son spit out the audience I was in all went Eww.

by Anonymousreply 37February 27, 2020 3:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!