Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jackfruit

These things are massive. It seems like they would kill you if they fell on your head.

I've always been curious about the taste. What is it like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2019 7:06 AM

They have jackfruit curry and jackfruit crabcakes at Trader Joe's. They're good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2019 5:20 AM

Cakes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2019 5:20 AM

OP, I like the fruit. It's a little chewy and sweet. It's a bitch to cut yourself though.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2019 5:22 AM

They're like the tofu of tree fruit -- basically soak up the flavor of whatever sauce you use.

If it's shredded, it takes on the texture of pulled pork.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2019 5:23 AM

R1 and R2, are the green, immature version of jackfruit which is often used as a pulled pork substitute. The texture really is similar. You can buy it canned in most well-stocked grocery stores.

When ripe it has banana/mango quality with a slightly funky undertone. It is a cousin of the notoriously funky durian. When you buy jackfruit at regular, American grocery stores it’s typically frozen. In Asian markets it can be found fresh where you would buy a chunk of one the large fruits, which can weigh upwards of twenty pounds.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2019 5:26 AM

It's very sweet and yellow, I find it somewhat astringent. I usually use it for dessert in a Thai recipe with coconut milk and tapioca; I'm lazy so I just buy the ones in a can.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2019 5:27 AM

Me like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2019 5:28 AM

The Jackfruit Company

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2019 5:28 AM

I had it almost everyday when I lived in Bangkok. Let me tell you a little goes a long way. Why can't we grow it in Florida?

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2019 5:29 AM

If you're ever near a Vietnamese grocery store, they sometimes sell the pre-sliced fruit in packages if it's in season. It looks like pictured below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2019 5:30 AM

Fresh, ripe jackfruit is very sweet and tastes exactly like Juicy Fruit gum. I love it, but the seeping latex makes a mess.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2019 5:33 AM

How to cut a jackfruit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2019 5:45 AM

Use gloves when u cut it up. It stinks sometimes and that smell is hard to get off your hands

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2019 5:50 AM

Tastes like Jack.

Duh?

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2019 5:55 AM

It looks scary.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2019 6:29 AM

[quote] tastes exactly like Juicy Fruit gum

Yep. My local Whole Foods occasionally sells them. Go to YouTube for videos on how to eat them.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2019 6:39 AM

Smells like lacquer thinner and with sticky goo that will burn your lips.

There's another type of jackfruit called cempedak. Some people eat it when it's really overripe, and it smells like rotten shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2019 6:46 AM

R17, yikes. I'd never heard of that fruit.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2019 3:23 PM

I often see it as a meat substitute in recipes.

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2019 6:04 PM

It has an odd flavor.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2019 5:18 AM

I had a vegan Rueben made with jackfruit it was delicious. Not a vegan but it’s amazing how good they can make the food taste.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2019 6:29 AM

I tried pulled pork substitute made from jack fruit. meh. The texture was similar, but not as good. It tasted like the BBQ sauce which they drowned it in. I don't plan on having it again.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2019 7:03 AM

A friend once made carnitas out of jackfruit. I was skeptical, and of course it wasn't as good as the real thing, but it was tasty for what it was!

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2019 7:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!