Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Liza Minnelli says mother Judy Garland would have “laughed” at Gaga’s “A Star Is Born”..

And praises Renee Zelwegger as a great actress (!!!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 28, 2019 12:52 AM

What a cunt. Enough with her and her hoarder of a mother.

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2019 9:07 PM

Both Judy and Barbra were already "legends" by the time they did "Star" and Janet had won an Oscar already.

Gaga was a newcomer in her version, I think it's horribly ironic that if I Google "A Star is Born," Gaga's film is first and the other three don't even appear on my first page of Google results, that's shows you what today's audience thinks.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2019 9:13 PM

GAGA's "A Star Is Born"? GAGA's???

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2019 10:24 PM

Liza doesn’t even know what planet she’s on. Who cares what she thinks? It’s astonishing that she’s still alive.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2019 10:35 PM

Renée is a great actress

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2019 10:38 PM

Judy's still laughing at Liza's film career. Piker.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2019 11:39 PM

Liza is always polite and professional. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2019 1:46 AM

I agree with you, R7. Liza's always tried to be decent, kind, polite and professional. She had a hell of a career and delivered some really great entertainment and has given millions of people (including me) moments of joy . She's had her problems and missteps, but she's done her best to handle them. She hasn't vilified her parents or anyone else she's known, either, and she's known many people she could have sold out for profit. She has always struck me as a sweet woman.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2019 2:17 AM

[quote] Judy's still laughing at Liza's film career. Piker.

R7 Liza is an Oscar winner and she had another nomination prior to her win. She did well for herself despite her rather short-lived film career.

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2019 2:21 AM

Judy won one and was nominated twice. Her pathetic drunk crotch dropping won only one and was nominated once more - the next year. NO STAMINA. Judy was nominated in 1962, a full 22 years after she won.

Her daughter she became a pill popping, gay marrying booze bag. And that was her professional life. Let’s not even discuss her personal life.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2019 2:35 AM

Judy must have had a better sense of humour than I have. "Gaga's" movie made me cry with pain; excruciating pain.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote]Her daughter she became a pill popping, gay marrying booze bag.

So she became her mother.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2019 3:13 AM

ALL of the "A Star is Born" films were pretty bad.

I know Judy's gets a lot of love here, but I think it is awful. She is very hammy and far too old/frumpy to play the role.

Streisand's is not even worth talking about. Just silly.

And I couldn't finish Gaga's.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2019 3:14 AM

Different eras. Different worlds, literally. Judy was of her time. Gaga is of hers. "It's a New World." (reference to the '54 version). Impossible to compare.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2019 3:19 AM

Poor Liza. Booze, pills, and has a thing about marrying f@gs, ya know. She reminds me so much of that Neely O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2019 5:09 AM

Why does Liza act like her mother somehow owned the part? The first one to play the part was Janet Gaynor, who was alive when Judy played the part, and also when Streisand played the part. And Gaynor was someone who actually once won the Academy Award for Best Actress, something that Judy never did.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2019 5:11 AM

I can't believe that has-been bitch tried to photobomb my selfie at the Oscars. Who the fuck does she think she is?

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2019 5:13 AM

Not really such a terrible diss. Liza did say that Judy would have watched it until the end, cheering it on.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2019 6:22 AM

R13 I just tried watching Gaga's an also stopped halfway through. Didn't expect it to be that bad. I didn't like any of the versions tbh.

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2019 6:52 AM

Judy wouldn’t have laughed at the box office receipts!

And why wouldn’t she have laughed? Gaga nails the comedy from the outset. I think the NYP is being devious.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2019 7:09 AM

Marlena called Liza "The Last Great Vaudevillian. If you saw her at the Winter Garden or Palace, you'd agree.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2019 7:11 AM

Liza is pathetic. She avoided Garland as much as could the last 5 years of her life. Liza always leaves that part out when she's hallucinating about "mama."

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2019 7:39 AM

Renée is a Great Actress ?

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2019 8:42 AM

Lizsha sounds like she was filling a diaper as she was interviewed

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2019 8:46 AM

I’m just more shocked people aren’t voting for Barbara’s version.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2019 10:57 AM

Liza is legendary entertainer. Not many have even come close to her talent. Liza is one of those once-in-a-lifetime performers. She’s the best and always charming, fun, polite and professional.

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2019 11:53 AM

Poor R26...

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2019 1:00 PM

r26 is Liza.

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2019 3:36 PM

No one read the article I guess -- she says that Judy would have gotten into it and said it was great.

[quote]“And then she would have gotten into it,” Minnelli told “ET.” “I can hear her saying, ‘OK, let’s go! Great to the end!'” she said, still laughing.

I don't know why someone would call her a cunt and tell her to die from pills when they didn't even read what was said. Aren't we all fucking adults here who know that headlines are clickbait and exaggerations?

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2019 3:41 PM

[quote]I know Judy's gets a lot of love here, but I think it is awful. She is very hammy and far too old/frumpy to play the role.

In some respects, she's not too old because she's specifically portrayed as someone who has been around for a while, singing in clubs and touring, and who knew how to handle a drunken actor because it was surely not the first time she'd had to. "The Man Who Got Away" is not a song a young ingenue would sing.

A 31-year-old singer probably wouldn't become a star in the 1950s unless they'd had some major chart-topping hits prior to that, though.

Streisand was 33, Gaga 32, Gaynor 30 and Constance Bennett 27 when they filmed their respective versions of the story. Judy being 31 isn't an anomaly, it's the norm.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2019 3:50 PM

Gaga is not a good actress and she's not pretty and vulnerable enough to be a leading lady. She has a harsh appearance that doesn't illicit sympathy from viewers. You don't become a movie star if you're not sympathetic.

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2019 3:50 PM

True, r31....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2019 4:00 PM

Judy "Pills" would've added a thing or two in this thread...

"Ha ha ha, I'll say..."!

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2019 4:21 PM

Make that:

"Ha ha ha, I'll say...!"

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2019 4:26 PM

[quote]Streisand was 33, Gaga 32, Gaynor 30 and Constance Bennett 27 when they filmed their respective versions of the story. Judy being 31 isn't an anomaly, it's the norm.

Except Judy was every Datalounger's Worst Nightmare: She looked at least 10 years OLDER than her actual age.

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2019 4:43 PM

Who cares what this old bitch thinks. She is not her mother, and Gaga gave an amazing performance. Liza has been a bit coo-coo for years now. I mean she consistently marries gay men, whom she thinks are straight, among other absurdities. Sit the fuck down. You are not your mother and your are not the arbiter of taste.

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2019 4:57 PM

r2, Gaga's version made a shit load of money, and I believe more critically acclaimed than all the previous versions. Also people should separate this latest version from the previous iterations, in how they humanized the male lead in ways they hadn't done previously. I've never seen the older films, but I think the cooper character was portrayed as more villainous, while in this film its the male and female leads share equal roles as protagonist.

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2019 5:04 PM

I agree with her. Gaga is annoying and overrated.

by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2019 5:11 PM

[quote]Her daughter she became a pill popping, gay marrying booze bag. And that was her professional life. Let’s not even discuss her personal life.

At least I didn't die on a toilet, you dumb bitch. I popped pills, enjoyed life AND lived to tell about it.

by Anonymousreply 39June 18, 2019 5:17 PM

[quote] At least I didn't die on a toilet, you dumb bitch.

Wait.

We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 40June 18, 2019 5:18 PM

If I die on a toilet, itsh gonna be on SHTAGE!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2019 5:36 PM

Liza is a JOKE. Her talent was always difficult to explain or defend. It's long gone, whatever it was.

by Anonymousreply 42June 18, 2019 5:39 PM

Judy would have laughed harder at Barbra Streisand getting a massive ovation singing "Woman In The Moon" in front of John Norman Howard's fans.

That would be like Barry Manilow getting wild applause at a Springsteen concert.

by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2019 5:48 PM

R12 Right! Total copycat. NO ORIGINALITY!

by Anonymousreply 44June 18, 2019 6:35 PM

R43 That ... jewfro. That's what made me laugh most about Barbra in the '76 version. The whole things looks ready for scene-for-scene remake starring Lea Michele.

by Anonymousreply 45June 18, 2019 6:36 PM

[quote]Judy won one and was nominated twice.

Judy didn't win an Oscar. The Oscar she received was an honorary, miniature Oscar as outstanding juvenile performer in 1940 for "The Wizard of Oz" and "Babes in Arms." She lost both competitive Oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2019 9:02 PM

R46 No question, and that's a dead category. But, when you go to 1940 in the Academy Awards website - there's Judy, with her award!

There she is, and THERE SHE'LL STAY! She's still one ahead of Liza with a Drinkie.

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2019 9:08 PM

[quote]She lost both competitive Oscar nominations.

She put on a German accent and 50 pounds and still didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 48June 18, 2019 9:09 PM

Let me spell it out for you, R47, you poor, deluded maniac:

Judy: one miniature honorary award, two competitive nominations, no wins.

Liza:: two competitive nominations (both for Best Actress), one win. Please note in picture below that she is holding a FULL-SIZE statuette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2019 9:26 PM

@RealDonaldTrump@r10.

by Anonymousreply 50June 18, 2019 9:31 PM

[quote] Except Judy was every Datalounger's Worst Nightmare: She looked at least 10 years OLDER than her actual age.

In some parts of the movie she looks fine. In other parts she looks puffier.

When I first saw Muriel's Wedding and saw the mother I was like, "Puffy Esther Blodgett!"

by Anonymousreply 51June 18, 2019 9:35 PM

Dear fan boy R49

Liza's entire career has either been: - Fucking guys who'd give her a job - Imitating her mother - Imitating guys who gave her a job

Why you'd take her seriously after that hysterical "marriage" to David Gest is baffling. She made an ass of herself. She's been doing the same, stupid crap since she was in her teens. Who was that? Oh yeah - Peter Allen. Gay. After that, naturally, she marries her mother's co-star's son from the Wizard of Oz. He disappears quietly. She marries Mark Gero next.

She's the type who never owns up to her own failings, just blames everyone else. Hell, she even blamed her sister Lorna for daring to have "the perfect life" while she was a total wreck after a couple of miscarriages. Well, that does happen when you've got a cocaine spoon up your nose and you're popping pills like a pez dispenser.

Unlike her mother, who was an actual original, Liza is an imitation. She's a cartoon cutout. That's why she's mocked. She's not a star. She'd have nothing if it weren't for her mother. She's Vicki Lawrence to Carol Burnett.

by Anonymousreply 52June 18, 2019 9:38 PM

r52, Oh Shit. I haven't viewed a read to filth like that, in some time on DL. Bravo. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 53June 18, 2019 9:40 PM

[quote] She's Vicki Lawrence to Carol Burnett.

YOU DON'T KNOW ME LIKE THAT, BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 54June 18, 2019 9:42 PM

[quote]She's Vicki Lawrence to Carol Burnett.

Excuse me, bitch. I had a Number 1 Hit song on Billboard Hot 100. What did Burnett have?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 18, 2019 9:43 PM

R55 She has the residuals from the Carol Burnett Show, doesn't she? You didn't get any if I remember the lawsuit. You got "Mama's Family", which was totally derivative of your character from ... The Carol Burnett Show. See how this works?

Bless your heart.

You also gave us "The Cool Kids". Now, off you go.

by Anonymousreply 56June 18, 2019 9:48 PM

Judy was a hoarder?

by Anonymousreply 57June 18, 2019 9:54 PM

[quote][R26] is Liza.

R26 is not Liza. Liza can’t speak or write coherently.

by Anonymousreply 58June 18, 2019 10:05 PM

[quote]Streisand was 33, Gaga 32, Gaynor 30 and Constance Bennett 27 when they filmed their respective versions of the story. Judy being 31 isn't an anomaly, it's the norm.

Yes but Judy looked 71.

by Anonymousreply 59June 18, 2019 10:06 PM

R57 Judy rescued all her friends from their addictions!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 18, 2019 10:07 PM

R60 that kills me

'carn'

by Anonymousreply 61June 18, 2019 10:19 PM

Meanwhile, the daughter ...

by Anonymousreply 62June 18, 2019 10:34 PM

It's a shame that some women choose to needlessly tear down other women. You'd think that Liza would appreciate Gaga's hard work and talent and not need to be nasty. Oh well, I'm sure that Gaga only has nice things to say about both Judy and Liza.

by Anonymousreply 63June 18, 2019 10:37 PM

Will Liza die on the shitter?

by Anonymousreply 64June 18, 2019 10:39 PM

We should be totally fair to Liza, as much as I beat on her.

She would have laughed,' Minelli, 73, recently confessed to Entertainment Tonight.

Revelation: Liza Minelli confessed that her mom, Judy Garland, would have laughed initially about a 2018 remake of A Star Is Born Honest confession: Liza Minelli said her mother, Judy Garland, 'would have laughed' about the 2018 remake of A Star Is Born with Lady Gaga, but First reaction: Liza Minelli says her mom, Judy Garland, might not have been sold on the 2018 A Star Is Born remake with Lady Gaga, but would have come around and 'gotten into it'

'And then she would have gotten into it,' she added, seemingly more accepting of the film's casting.

'I can hear her saying, ok, let's go! Great to the end!'

You can see her praising Gaga and the film, even though the shock value of the headline makes it sound pretty nasty.

by Anonymousreply 65June 18, 2019 10:42 PM

Agreed R65, I don't hear so much shade.

by Anonymousreply 66June 18, 2019 10:46 PM

That’s because it’s not slurred r66.

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2019 7:12 PM

The quote is not a dig- rather more of expressing that her Mom would be amazed at a sequel, implying that includes the Streisand sequel as well. Not laughing at Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 68June 19, 2019 7:17 PM

Why didn't Liza have children? She was married a half dozen times.

by Anonymousreply 69June 19, 2019 7:29 PM

I could have starred opposite Gaga, but nobody even thought to ask.

by Anonymousreply 70June 19, 2019 7:40 PM

Lizsha would have been fabuloush as the new Shtar! She i so on the ball.......

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2019 8:05 PM

She is so on the ball.......

by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2019 8:11 PM

Naturally Liza is upset. She was told she was too ugly to make any more movies and she never got the chance at Gypsy, Chicago or the ASIB shot for shot remake. Then this MIESKEIT Gaga assaults the worlds' senses and has a massive hit movie, wins an Oscar and walks away with the gay leading man!! That is Liza's fucking LIFE!

by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2019 8:12 PM

Bradley is not gay, he was Victor Garber's protege, nothing more nothing less. Oh and Irina Fayk told me he is all man. So there to all you queens falsely accusing MS Cooper of being a gay.

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2019 8:19 PM

r73 wins. ROFL. BEST COMMENT ON THS THREAD.

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2019 8:19 PM

R69 She had various miscarriages

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2019 8:29 PM

[quote]Why didn't Liza have children? She was married a half dozen times.

Did you really think she could give up the pills and the booze for nine moths??

by Anonymousreply 77June 19, 2019 8:42 PM

Her fucking mother didn't and she had THREE kids.

by Anonymousreply 78June 19, 2019 8:44 PM

[quote]Unlike her mother, who was an actual original, Liza is an imitation. She's a cartoon cutout. That's why she's mocked. She's not a star. She'd have nothing if it weren't for her mother. She's Vicki Lawrence to Carol Burnett.

Oh please, when I was growing up in the 80s, it was all about Liza. You didn't even hear anything about Judy. And even today, why would anyone talk about Judy? Only bitter dinosaur queens who were born when Judy still alive. And a large portion of the entertainment industry consists of nepotism. There are lots of 2nd generation and 3rd generation entertainers from famous families.

by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2019 9:46 PM

[quote]And even today, why would anyone talk about Judy?

Who would talk about Liza?? She’s 95 years old, and hasn’t been relevant since the Seventies.

by Anonymousreply 80June 19, 2019 10:11 PM

Say what, bitch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 19, 2019 10:13 PM

The Liza hate is so unnecessary. Liza is certainly an "entertainer", and this bugs people for some reason. It's difficult to explain an "in one" performer to those who derive most of their culture and music from their phone.

by Anonymousreply 82June 20, 2019 2:41 AM

R77. The cocaine was really the better deal than her 4 husbands. She could count on the cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 83June 20, 2019 2:45 AM

Oh, she's entertaining all right. To those more delusional than she.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84June 20, 2019 2:51 AM

Where’s the hilarious video of Liza in a cab singing to TMZ?

by Anonymousreply 85June 22, 2019 4:41 PM

"And even today, why would anyone talk about Judy? Only bitter dinosaur queens who were born when Judy still alive."

I'm the quintessential bitter, dinosaur queen but my only interest in Judy Garland is the train wreck quality of her life, her booze/pill addiction and the hilarious fact the she died sitting on the can in a drug induced stupor.

by Anonymousreply 86June 22, 2019 4:47 PM

Gaga with a G, not Jaja with a J

by Anonymousreply 87June 22, 2019 4:56 PM

Gurls, please.

Judy's signature song was "Over The Rainbow" and in her later years, when she did live concerts, she made the audience sing it. Can you imagine showing up to her concert and her just sticking the microphone out towards the audience and saying, "You sing for me."

Liza NEVER made anyone sing "Liza With A Z, Not Lisa With An S"

by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2019 6:24 PM

r88 well everyone knows the lyrics to 'Over The Rainbow'. Can't say the same for 'Liza With a Z'.

by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2019 6:32 PM

R89 Speak for yourself, Missy

by Anonymousreply 90June 28, 2019 12:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!