Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Darlie Routier: Did she do it?

Her case was featured on Forensic Files and other similar shows.

I am torn.

What say you who are familiar with the case?

(There were some older threads on this on the DL, but they've been since closed.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 23, 2019 9:40 PM

Harpo, who dis woman?

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2019 12:51 PM

Whenever the kids get killed and nothing is stolen and the adults get minor wounds compared to the overkilled kids you have to wonder. There are some people that believe in her innocence now even though they didn't before.

I can easily believe that Darin her husband somehow arranged it, but wouldn't they have busted him by now?

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2019 1:02 PM

[quote]I can easily believe that Darin her husband somehow arranged it, but wouldn't they have busted him by now?

But why?

Was there life insurance?

I can't remember now.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2019 1:22 PM

I know they were up to their eye balls in debt. I can't remember what the life insurance situation was either.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2019 2:07 PM

Uh-uh. Not guilty!

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2019 2:13 PM

They could have been cleaner about it -- if they'd done it -- which they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2019 3:08 PM

2 adults in the house? Did she have postpartum depression? So many questions.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2019 3:21 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2019 3:43 PM

From a few days ago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2019 3:43 PM

As a complete aside, I think Andrea Yates husband should have been tried right along side her.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2019 3:44 PM

Guilty of Silly Stringing

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2019 3:48 PM

Yes she did it.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2019 3:48 PM

The police were immediately suspicious. Though at least one boy was still alive, officers said Mrs. Routier did not try to look after them or stanch their bleeding. "She was preoccupied with the minor wound on her neck," an affidavit says, and fixated on explaining why her fingerprints were on the knife. The police said that while there was no blood near what was said to be the escape route, there was a good deal of blood in front of the sink, as if, they said, someone had tried to clean it up.

The murder weapon had come from the Routiers' kitchen, police said, as had a second knife that showed evidence of having been used to cut a metal screen. And a doctor who examined Mrs. Routier found that her wounds "could possibly have been self inflicted."

The police say that Mrs. Routier, who is being held on $1 million bail, had written diary entries suggesting she was suicidal and expressed a desire to be forgiven for something she was about to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2019 3:50 PM

If she did do it, how has she managed to convince so many supporters she didn't?

Honest question.

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2019 4:06 PM

Related to r14, iirc, a woman who wrote a book on the case at one time doubted Darlie's innocence, but is now convinced she didn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2019 4:16 PM

Her name is not on this list though.

Cases of Suspected Miscarriages of Justice - Texas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2019 4:45 PM

There was a pretty compelling Texas Monthly story that made me doubt her guilt.

I remember the fact that she went around town braless was mentioned more than once during her trial, which is pretty WTF.

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2019 5:04 PM

What made it compelling r17?

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2019 5:19 PM

R18, it was years ago while I was waiting at the eye doctor, all I recall is that it certainly planted a reasonable doubt in my head. Before, I’d been positive she did it.

The story is probably still online if anyone wants to Google. I would but I’m on my phone.

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2019 6:19 PM

r19 I assume it was this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2019 6:26 PM

I love Skip Hollingsworth articles, R20. He's a great writer.

by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2019 6:32 PM

WHET Susan Smith's hot husband anyway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2019 6:35 PM

She was the one to divorce Darrin because she herself became suspicious of him. After her conviction, she found out about his insurance scams. Also, her body was black and blue. Pictures of her bruises that indicated a struggle were withheld during her trial.

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2019 6:47 PM

A lot of comments under this Youtube video are about her husband's insurance scams. What about them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2019 6:52 PM

I’m not sure. But I do think the silly string video and her general flamboyance shouldn’t count against her.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2019 7:12 PM

R20, that’s it, thank you! The Silly String bit is crazy but she sounds rather dim, and having her kids stabbed to death may have sent her around the bend.

The husband is an obvious sleazebag, too.

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2019 7:13 PM

I just watched the whole 20/20 video and felt that her defense team was really sloppy.

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2019 7:48 PM

i think she did do it- i think She and Darrin got in a huge fight. He beat her and she retaliated by killing the boys.

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2019 8:14 PM

I watched a show (sorry, I forgot which one) that made me doubt that Darlie was guilty. I still think she's has sociopathic tendencies, but the show made me think she was possibly not guilty.

Then again, the Netflix presentation of the Michael Peterson staircase murder(s) seemed to have planted seeds of doubt in people's minds. Point is, could be a matter of presentation, what's included in the "documentary" and what's left out. I've watched a ton of shows about Michael Peterson and the death of Kathleen Peterson (his wife). I just think he is guilty at this point.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2019 8:44 PM

[quote]Also, her body was black and blue. Pictures of her bruises that indicated a struggle were withheld during her trial.

One forearm was black and blue, not her entire body from what I recall.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2019 9:08 PM

R10, but mostly they should have tried that 'Quiverful' nutbag minister of the church they went to.

And the insurance company that refused to pay for more time in the psych ward for Andrea. Poor woman had all those kids so fast. She was bug out of her mind.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2019 9:16 PM

So a random person just happened to break into the house and just happened to have only killed the kids and then disappeared into the night.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2019 9:20 PM

Yes, she did.

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2019 9:28 PM

It was the BHS - bushy haired stranger.

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2019 9:36 PM

There are a few discrepancies that make we wonder (such as the bloody sock that was found in an alleyway which, according to the timeline, she wouldn't have had time to place there; and the fact that the wound to her neck was pretty severe, and almost severed her carotid artery), but I still lean toward her being guilty.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I've always suspected that, if she did do it, her husband helped her. When the police arrived at their house, the husband was apparently quite calm, and was quoted as asking one of the officers what he thought about Darlie's tits. That is not normal behavior for someone whose sons have just been savagely slashed to death on your living room floor.

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2019 9:58 PM

She told 4 conflicting stories about what happened. I like the theory that she did it with help from her husband.

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2019 10:17 PM

I tend to think she did, but there are some weird details in this case. The husband is shady too. I don't know why she didn't attack the baby. Once you've killed one kid (or in this case two), you might as well finish the job. I mean if the idea is that kids are expensive af and kinda annoying, you'd think the infant would be the first to get the axe (or kitchen knife, as the case may be).

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2019 10:22 PM

My feeling: she did it either alone or with someone else's help (most likely, husband's) but she didn't receive a fair trial, if that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2019 10:23 PM

Unsolved Mysteries did a segment on this case in the '90s, and her husband's interview on that was extremely odd. IIRC, he stayed married to her for many years, but they eventually divorced. I wonder what their youngest child is up to now and what kind of childhood they had.

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2019 11:43 PM

If the husband were in on it, why didn't she throw him under the bus?

by Anonymousreply 40June 18, 2019 12:02 AM

The youngest son has leukemia.

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2019 12:28 AM

R40 because she wouldn't want to blow her cover in case she was acquitted. If they planned it together and were on the same page enough to follow through with it, it's unlikely she would turn on him while incarcerated, especially because there truthfully was not all that much to convict her on.

by Anonymousreply 42June 18, 2019 12:46 AM

[quote] There are a few discrepancies that make we wonder (such as the bloody sock that was found in an alleyway which, according to the timeline, she wouldn't have had time to place there

Yes, for me, it was that sock in the alley that made me doubt. It (the sock) was impossible to explain.

by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2019 1:43 AM

The surviving kid, Drake, was diagnosed with leukemia back in 2013, but fortunately seems to have beaten it (he had his last chemo treatment in 2016).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 18, 2019 4:23 AM

[quote]WHET Susan Smith's hot husband anyway?

He remarried and has two kids. I remember some interview where he said he was working as a truck driver and he occasionally teaches some kind of workshops to law enforcement agencies.

by Anonymousreply 45June 18, 2019 4:50 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2019 7:16 AM

I can't explain the sock, but who would come in, kill both the kids, and leave a witness?

It's so far-fetched.

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2019 8:51 AM

Here is the Forensic Files episode:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 18, 2019 11:16 AM

[quote]I remember the fact that she went around town braless was mentioned more than once during her trial, which is pretty WTF.

[quote]When the police arrived at their house, the husband was apparently quite calm, and was quoted as asking one of the officers what he thought about Darlie's tits.

The investigative reports are strangely fixated with Darlie's titties. One article I read mentioned that she bought herself a pair of DDD implants when she and Darin were living it up and spending beyond their means.

by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2019 11:21 AM

Yes, she did kill her two boys.

by Anonymousreply 50June 18, 2019 11:37 AM

Now Darlie did have a nice set of tits on her.

by Anonymousreply 51June 18, 2019 11:43 AM

Also, wasn't the screen cut with a knife from their kitchen?

That also makes no sense, if it were an intruder.

by Anonymousreply 52June 18, 2019 12:12 PM

ITA r10.

by Anonymousreply 53June 18, 2019 12:30 PM

R14 even Jodi Arias has her supporters. Hopeless causes are catnip to some unbalanced people.

by Anonymousreply 54June 18, 2019 2:48 PM

Yes, r54, but I assume they don't believe she is innocent ...

by Anonymousreply 55June 18, 2019 3:16 PM

How did the prosecution explain the bloody sock?

by Anonymousreply 56June 26, 2019 5:17 PM

With Jodi Arias some of her supporters believed she was abused by Travis. On some ex-Mormon forum, many people condemned Jodi, but many they said that Travis was a typical Mormon asshole and that they think he would eventually gotten some kind of payback if Jodi hadn't killed him.

by Anonymousreply 57June 26, 2019 9:45 PM

I always forget about the Mormon element

by Anonymousreply 58June 26, 2019 10:33 PM

Back to Darlie's tits, please...

by Anonymousreply 59June 26, 2019 11:36 PM

I remember Darin went on some talk show where he pissed people off because he whined about Darlie's medical bills.

by Anonymousreply 60June 26, 2019 11:57 PM

All circumstantial but solid circumstantial. And in Darlie's interviews today she sounds more sane and convincing than she did then. But she's had many years to hone her story and her charm. And she can do that because she's a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 61June 27, 2019 12:09 AM

This reddit comment summarizes why she’s probably guilty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 27, 2019 12:11 AM

The screen particles on the kitchen knife show how stupid she is. And the knife was put back in the knife rack. So the intruder came into her house, got a knife from her kitchen, THEN cut the screen, then put the knife back in the knife rack.

by Anonymousreply 63June 27, 2019 12:23 AM

Not to mention the fact there was blood that was cleaned from a sink (presumably where she cut herself) but no blood on the couch where she was supposedly cut

I think the silly string was the best/worst thing to happen to her. Bad because it’s a shitty thing to judge someone on and is trivial in the grand scheme of things but good because she could make that the center focus: “The cops are only arresting me over a video they filmed of me mourning my children”

by Anonymousreply 64June 27, 2019 12:41 AM

Was binge watching Forensics Files on Netflix and one episode was about Darlie.

When the cops arrived, the first thing Daren pointed out was Darlie's beauty and her size 38D tits. No concern about his two stabbed sons.

What was it about this woman's breasts that were so hypnotic?

by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2019 7:46 PM

I remember watching a segment about her on 20/20 or DATELINE etc and from what I was seeing I would say "yes, she murdered her babies"

IMO one of the things that made no sense (to me) was when they aired that film footage a local news station had taken of her visiting the boys graves not long after their murders and she was carrying on like she was attending a party without a care in the world. When questioned about by the 20/20 (or DATELINE) interviewer she claimed it was to celebrate the birthday of the one son who she said would have wanted them happy and to celebrate. I mean, the crazy bitch was spraying 'Silly String' all over the two graves.

If she is indeed innocent, then man is she in a bad spot because of circumstance and her own idiosyncratic personality.

Any cop will tell you that usually a murder is committed for one of three reasons: 1)* Crime of Hatred, 2)* Crime of Profit, 3)* Crime of Passion

Sometimes however things don't always fall into one of those categories. Take the OJ Simpson case: Nicole Brown Simpson almost had her head severed from her body, the murder was that savage. In a crime of profit the perpetrator only needs to inflict enough damage in order to get what they want to profit from, i.e. one stab, take the wallet & run. In a crime of passion the perpetrator usually doesn't want to harm the body they lust for until after the deed. What's left ? Crime of hatred in that case. In a crime of hatred the victim often has enough damage inflicted on their bodies to have killed 10x that many people. Intense hatred is a rage killing and when someone cuts above the shoulder & or overkills, then it is indicative of a personal nature, the killer had that much rage for the victim.

'Manson Murders' for another example: Several of the victims at the Tate house had enough wounds to have taken out each one five times. Nothing of value was taken from the residence, and none of the victims were sexually assaulted. It was later learned that Abigail Folger had given $ 72. in cash from her purse in her bedroom to one of the Manson girls when Tex Watson had shouted "who's got money ?" Sharon Tate had cash on her night stand, and she was wearing gold earrings and wedding ring. Jay Sebring had on a Cartier watch & a wallet full of cash inside of his jacket hanging on a chair in the living room. Watson had shot him before demanding cash leaving hair stylist dying on the floor while the rest of the carnage unfolded. One of the Manson girls, Susan Atkins I believe had confessed that she had an orgasm while stabbing Sharon Tate who was two weeks shy of giving birth. The following night at the LaBiancas the killers did take Mrs. LaBianca's wallet and some of Leno LaBianca's vast coin collection. But all of this savage killing for some cash and a coin collection ? It was madness and the police had a hell of a time the first several months trying to put pieces together. One thought by the police was that Roman Polanski had ordered the hits because he might have believed that his wife and her former fiance Sebring were having an affair; Next it was thought it must be drug related, then some sexual satanic orgy that got out of hand.

I mention these cases to point out that things don't always fit a pattern but generally you have to go with logic, evidence and IMO, Darlie Routier had some kind of inner rage for her two boys. Why ? Who knows ? I mean how to you figure the psychology of a nut job like that ? Similarly with the Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald case: I think something inside him snapped and he slaughtered his pregnant wife & two little daughters. Think of Susan Smith: she wanted her children gone but she didn't have rage against them. Sick a fuck as she was/is, Smith drowned her small sons. She didn't attack the two with knives, her fists or anything else. The Routier children: whoever did it had rage and had a personal grudge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2019 9:25 PM

I still stand by my suspicions about her husband Darin being involved. The fact that he was asking police officers their opinion on Darlie's tits while his son was dead on their living room floor is suspicious, to put it lightly. It could have just been a response to shock—I know people can act strange when extreme things like this happen—but it just seems to odd to me that he was conveniently sleeping upstairs with the baby, and that the two boys were sleeping in the living room with Darlie. It seems like it was orchestrated to me.

by Anonymousreply 67July 21, 2019 9:41 PM

Rage, grudge... and a hot set of tits.

by Anonymousreply 68July 21, 2019 9:42 PM

I still have to wonder what it was about Darlie that Darin thought was so appealing, enough to remark it to police. She was/is a very plain-looking woman. I guess pickings are slim in Texas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 21, 2019 9:44 PM

If she did do it, it was pretty ballsy for her to slash her own throat the way she would have had to do. The gash was millimeters from her carotid artery. She's lucky she didn't die. That, and the sock in the alleyway, are the two things that make question her guilt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2019 9:47 PM

That is Subdued Darlie.

During the marriage, Slutty Darlie was a bottle blond with tight tops to exhibit her tits.

by Anonymousreply 71July 21, 2019 9:48 PM

Here's bottle-blonde Darlie with the family. Dare I say it, but Darin was actually kind of hot back in the day, in a dorky way. Darlie looks homely in most photos, but that's because most of the pictures of her were taken in the early '90s/late '80s, and she was sporting all of the worst fashion trends of that era. She has the same creepy, round doll eyes that Christina Ricci has. Ricci should play her in a biopic, but given that she's already done Lizzie Borden, I'm assuming that's out of the cards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 21, 2019 9:59 PM

Darlie seems like she could be a sociopath, but she's surprisingly not nearly as looney as Diane Downs.

by Anonymousreply 73July 21, 2019 10:02 PM

Was there “touch DNA”?

by Anonymousreply 74July 21, 2019 10:48 PM

R69

Make-up can make such a diff !!

I'm just surprised she apparently didn't do her face and flat iron the hair before the police arrived. Maybe she was going for realism ? You know like when Joan Crawford made STRANGE CARGO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 23, 2019 1:18 AM

Texans love them some titties.

by Anonymousreply 76July 23, 2019 2:56 AM

I believe Darin could have been involved if he had killed them all it would have been picked up on immediately as the husband would be the usual suspect. I think they both orchestrated it and her surviving was key to their plan, in their minds she has ruled out the husband via her being a witness and I’m sure they thought no one would suspect her for a second. If they hadn’t been so sloppy about it they might have pulled it off. I haven’t watched anything about the case for years so can’t remember too many details on their life. Maybe they were sick of having so many kids? Or thought public outcry for them would get them out of debt by donations?

by Anonymousreply 77July 23, 2019 8:38 PM

anyone know if there was life insurance on the kids?

by Anonymousreply 78July 23, 2019 9:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!