Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Naltrexone

Does it work?

I've decided I want to quit drinking, but AA is just not for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2019 4:42 AM

It cuts down significantly on the euphoria associated with alcohol that makes drinking so addicting. It helped.

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2019 6:58 PM

Don’t know and agree that AA can be a bit spooky, but from personal experience, you can’t quit on your own. I went to AA every day for six months but didn’t really go through the steps or embrace the cult. However, the daily pledge of sobriety, the war story testimonies and just daily reinforcement got me through quitting. And it was free.

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2019 7:01 PM

I've only recently begun taking it, and it seems to have been helping me. The last doctor who attended me in the hospital asked me to consider it a 'last-ditch experiment', since nothing else seems to have helped me, and I felt I owed it to my family and friends (and myself) to try something else. I really am motivated right now....and scared, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2019 7:52 PM

Good luck R3!

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2019 8:40 PM

It’s becoming less “last ditch” and more widely used. Consider the injectable Vivitrol. It lasts for about a month and does not require daily dosing.

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2019 8:47 PM

Good Luck R3. There is no one way to quit drinking and don't believe anyone who says there is. (Only A.A. preaches that and they are proven to be less successful than more cognitive and medical methods.) The point is, Naltrexone may just be what helps you to avoid alcohol long enough to deal with your other puzzle pieces to maintain lasting sobriety. The motivation will take you far - don't get discouraged for long. The best of luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2019 8:51 PM

Do it! I went from drinking daily a six-pack of IPA and a couple of shooters to drinking maybe every other week, if that. It totally gave me the space and ability to not feel the need to imbibe habitually.

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2019 8:53 PM

I have tried it for another condition and had to take it at night. It made me quite sleepy. I didn’t notice a cessation of addictive behavior or triggers.

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2019 8:55 PM

[quote]r5 Consider the injectable Vivitrol.

I read this as, [italic] "Consider the injectable[bold] Vitriol."

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2019 9:01 PM

[quote]r3 I've only recently begun taking it, and it seems to have been helping me.

What does this equate to? It has helped you drink less, it has helped you not pick up a drink for a few days? A few weeks? A few months?

What is meant by "helping"?

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2019 9:04 PM

[quote]r6 There is no one way to quit drinking and don't believe anyone who says there is. (Only A.A. preaches that and they are proven to be less successful than more cognitive and medical methods.)

The AA literature states AA is not the only way to get sober, but that their steps are how THEY got sober.

Who told you they claim otherwise?

(I think I see where this is headed.)

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2019 9:08 PM

Can we please keep this related to specific discussion abut Naltrexone, r11?

As always happens with these threads things descend quickly into the AA sucks / AA is the only way arguments. I'm sick of hearing either side, and want to learn more about people's experience with this drug.

by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2019 9:15 PM

Read this R3. You'll find it very relevant and hopefully enlightening.

Don't read it R11. Nobody is trying to start anything. This is about Naltrexone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 16, 2019 9:24 PM

A friend used Vivitrol in conjunction with psychological treatment to recover from a debilitating drug habit. After a year, this friend ceased Vivitrol and went to Naltrexone. Soon after that, it was nothing but healthy living. It works.

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2019 9:37 PM

I got sick with bronchitis that would not go away after a week, decided the booze was slowing down my recovery so I stopped drinking, went into DTs a few days later, they threw me in the hospital to dry out, and I have not had a drink since. This was 27 years ago. This was the method I used. Don't recommend DTs. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2019 9:44 PM

I am going to open myself up to ridicule, but I'll just be honest. I've had problems with alcohol on and off throughout my entire adult life (I'm in my late 50s). This past April, I fell at home, and broke my shoulder. It took me several days to get back on my feet (I didn't eat or drink for 4 days) and then fell again. My brother broke into the house and called an ambulance. I spent a week in the hospital (my vital signs were really screwed up) and another 2 weeks in a nursing home. Once I was released and returned home....I got drunk again, and fell again: another ambulance trip to the hospital, and another week in a nursing home.

I've been to AA meetings, all the way back to my 20s. I've been in rehab. But, this past time, I very nearly died, yet I got drunk again anyway. So I'm scared to death, and I can see that my ex and my family are scared, too. I started taking Naltrexone during my second nursing home stay, although I never think about alcohol when I'm in a hospital or nursing home. But I've been home over a week, and still haven't thought about alcohol. Right now, I can't break down how much of the effect is the medication, and how much is my very real fear. But I knew I had to try something I hadn't tried in the past. I was warned that the Naltrexone would cancel out the effects of the pain medication I was receiving for my broken shoulder (other than Aleve or Ibuprofen), but I've chosen to deal with the pain rather than risk not taking it. I intend to keep taking it, since I need all the help I can get.

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2019 10:01 PM

[quote]r12 Can we please keep this related to specific discussion abut Naltrexone, R11 ?

Why didn't you direct this to R6? They're the poster that derailed into bashing AA.

I was only replying to their misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2019 10:16 PM

How does one get Naltrexone? Prescription only? Available for purchase from Canada or Mexico?

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2019 10:40 PM

Didn’t do shit for me. I even drank on anti buse

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2019 10:53 PM

R3, you survived the AIDS crisis, you were gay when, for a host of different reasons, it was NOT OK. You survived a lot so far.

With your survival abilities I have no doubt you’ll get through this, too.

I’m wishing you nothing but the best and I’m confident in you.

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2019 11:01 PM

I drank on Antabuse, vivitrol, and naltrexone too . Ugh AA bugs the hell out of me ( rather the people do) but it’s the only thing that has stopped me. I’m jealous of those that naltrexone works for . Hey, it’s totally worth a shot !

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2019 11:02 PM

I know some people who it really helped. But know some others who didn’t like the side effects of naltrexone - so gave it up - and are back drinking. Everyone is hardwired differently - hopefully it work well for you OP!

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2019 11:25 PM

Not t discourage you - if you have access to it, at least give it a try. I'm a very heavy drinker (I can easily drink 1/2-3/4 of a bottle a day of vodka), and it really didn't do anything for me. They then tried to get me to use Vivitrol instead, but once I saw the needle (which was way thicker than your standard needle), and they explained to me that I had to have it injected into my butt once a month, and that it will burn - I was like "hell. no."

I drink mainly to get to sleep at night, and due to being diagnosed with persistent depressive disorder and severe anxiety. They also put me on Prozac and 100mg of Trazadone. The former has helped me with my anxiety, and the later has helped me with my sleep issues. Instead of drinking almost an entire bottle of vodka in a given evening, I can sometimes instead just nurse a couple tall beers for a few hours and pop a Trazadone as I'm finishing up my last beer.

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2019 11:35 PM

[quote]The former has helped me with my anxiety, and the later has helped me with my sleep issues.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2019 11:38 PM

R23, do you mean a 750 ml bottle of vodka?

by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2019 11:49 PM

Try and get it prescribed by a practitioner who is familiar with it. Does it work? Yes. Will it work for you? Will it do enough for you? Uncertain.

I’m on it, but have not followed the Sinclair protocol.. My psychiatrist and therapist push abstinence / AA.. The Sinclair method involves taking naltrexone and continuing drink normally (for you) to re-train your brain. The correct approach may depend on how far gone you are.

It’s a complicated issue.

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2019 12:06 AM

Claudia Christian did a good documentary about the Sinclair method called "One Little Pill". Her TED talk was also interesting and to the point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2019 12:10 AM

R2 I'm glad that AA worked for you. For me, the whole sitting in a circle and oversharing just doesn't work for me. I've also never thrived in big group team environments. From what I've read about Revia, it seems worth a shot.

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2019 1:36 AM

Naltrexone can reduce the cravings for alcohol. It can help reduce overall alcohol intake but it isn't a magic drug that will cause you to stop drinking.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2019 1:48 AM

That's not really how Naltrexone works R29. Why not do some more research.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2019 1:52 AM

I am 43 and was an alcoholic for about 20 years. Hospitalized and rehab and AA many times. The only thing that worked for me was when my country legalized weed. Here is my suggestion, it has been nothing short of a miracle for me.

Naltrexone and weed. I thought that weed would just make me paranoid or want to drink more. I've ended up loving weed and trying out new strains, and love that it doesnt make me out of control or give a hangover. Or cause weight gain.

Please at least try it. Antabuse in conjunction to the weed would also help prevent slipping with drinking during the first few months. Such a better, calmer way of life.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2019 2:38 AM

R31 I like your style. That's another reason I don't much care for AA for me. They promote an abstinence only policy and would probably scold you for smoking weed.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2019 2:42 AM

R31 here. Thanks, R32! I fear many people who are suffering like I was are being misled to think AA is the only way to get sober and then give up. I hope someone reading this will give cannabis a try. I have almost a year with no alcohol and dont even think about it anymore, and it's all because of using cannabis as a crutch. I smoke a bit at night, I haven't turned into a stoner smoking day and night or anything.

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2019 3:20 PM

Absolutely. Though not as simple as “it works”. More of a help. Still takes personal desire and effort. But for someone like me who has panic attacks going to AA because of social anxiety, it is a critical, life-changing option.

I’m 51 and have been a heavy drinker since 16 - with periods of going dry for weeks or months. I was “functioning”. Didn’t drink in the morning or at work. But 7-10/night at the local bar 5-6 nights week. Had 2 incidents where I blacked out and ended up in hospital. Stopped for a while then started again.

Heard about Sinclair method /NAL. Went to psychiatrist to get it. A Sinclair-aware psych can be hard to find - do a search online - I found one who advertised that he offered it.

My experience: it’s very subtle, not a cure but a major help. Definitely blocks the euphoric rush of the first drink or 2 at the end of the day. Not having that rush allows space to contemplate having another - felt less like a biological need. I continued to have 5-6. But cut down from 5-6 days week to 2-3 days week. And the most important part: I have not had black out 8+ Drinking nights since I started over a year ago. So not a “cure” but definitely a help for out of control drinking.

With acknowledgement that I havent stopped, Naltrexone has been a miracle drug for me. Not getting black out drunk has prevented the worst effects of alcohol in my life. I’ve also felt the urge to go out to the bar decline significantly (never drank at home). Now I go out on weekends because of routine and to socialize. But no desire to go out during week. And when I do go out, I don’t get black out drunk. It feels like a safety net.

Incredible discovery. We need more research into scientific aids to stopping abusive drinking. AA never worked for me personally because of the structure (though it definitely is a solution for many, many people). Definitely encourage anyone who has issues to get it.

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2019 5:31 PM

R34 Isn’t 5-6 drinks 2-3 nights a week a lot of alcohol for someone taking a drug known to cause liver toxicity? The alcohol alone sounds manageable to me (I get where you are coming from), but do you get frequent liver function panels?

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2019 6:22 PM

I’ve never had liver issues. I do get checked regularly. And I’ve been told that compared to having 60 drinks a week - having 10 with naltrexone is still better. But I may be unique. Even at peak drinking, I never showed liver issues. Whereas my ex-partner who drank less but was Hispanic had liver issues from drinking. My issue has generally been black outs more than physical issues.

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2019 7:13 PM

R16 Thank you for being so honest. I wish you the best of luck

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2019 7:27 PM

I’m embarrassed to say that I’m in AA but smoke weed . The program helps me stay away from alcohol and the listening is good ( I rarely share) but the weed has been a better medication than any antidepressant for me and it helps my ptsd . There are a lot of us . I don’t agree with everything AA preaches but overall the program has been amazing for me . See if naltrexone will help ( it barely had an effect for me but I was bad off and there was a lot of trauma there ) but I second the cannabis help . I don’t smoke every day and it’s never led to another drink ( and I am a terrible alcoholic.)

by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2019 7:38 PM

Just checked studies on naltrexone and liver. Sounds like it can be a temporary issue at regular high doses - like 300mg. And the effect seems to go away when stopped.

Most people like me take 50mg. And I only take it as needed - I.e., days that I drink. Occasionally I will take a second 50mg pill after 3 if I feel there is a risk of me feeling an effect (ex, stronger than normal drinks). Has had no effect on liver.

Bottom line: no real need to worry about liver effects from naltrexone. Real need to worry about physical effects of high volume continuous alcohol intake - which naltrexone can prevent or significantly reduce the risk of.

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2019 7:46 PM

I hope people who need help with drinking are reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2019 7:54 PM

R34 Thanks for the info. I asked about your liver and also posted somewhere above that naltrexone works for me to a degree, but my prescriber and therapist preach abstinence. I’m giving that a shot, mostly unsuccessfully, but the naltrexone has largely eliminated blackouts/binges.. The few times I have run into trouble are when I forget to take the naltrexone (if you think you aren’t going to drink, it becomes less of a priority to remember.) I get liver testing a few times a year but, like you, even at my worst my liver was Ok. Our experiences seem very consistent.

by Anonymousreply 41June 17, 2019 8:05 PM

Interesting - I’ve been told the exact opposite R41. In fact, you are supposed to drink. If you read the Sinclair book, that’s a critical part of the process - training your brain to disassociate drinking from the euphoria. Sinclair’s main finding was that abstaining worsens alcoholism. Sinclair’s studies showed that when deprived of any alcohol for a period, rats drinking went out of control when alcohol was reintroduced. Which was consistent with my experience. The abstinence actually triggered overindulgence when the abstinence ends. It’s one of the main flaws he found in AA.

Again, abstinence and AA can be and has been the answer for many. But the Sinclair findings and methodology are based in biology and science rather than spirituality and social reinforcement - which works better for many including me.

by Anonymousreply 42June 17, 2019 8:14 PM

R42 I know. That is why I wanted to try the naltrexone in the first place. But apparently it is also used to control cravings. It is helping me.

by Anonymousreply 43June 17, 2019 8:18 PM

This is a fascinating thread. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

by Anonymousreply 44June 17, 2019 8:20 PM

The cravings definitely decease after using it for a while. For some, it’s immediate and dramatic - they become completely disinterested in alcohol in matter of weeks or months. For me, it’s been more mild - but it has absolutely decreased cravings. No desire to go out most of the time. But I’ve begun to see how it’s a social issue for me. Going to the bar on the weekend is a habit independent of the alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 45June 17, 2019 8:29 PM

Sounds like it's worth checking out.

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2019 1:21 AM

Definitely worth checking out and taking consistantly.

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2019 10:34 PM

I take it only on days that I drink - which have decreased significantly. Never been tempted to skip it. Supposed to do things that encourage positive connections to other things when not on it - like exercise, walking, music.

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2019 1:23 AM

You just replace one chemical dependence with another? How quaint!

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2019 1:42 AM

A chemical that prevents damage rather than creating it. And has no “high” attached to it. Harmless and helpful.

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2019 1:47 AM

One side effect/consequence of taking Naltrexone is that as an opioid antagonist--it blocks the opioid receptors in the brain. This means if you are ever injured /need pain medication naltrexone blocks the receptors from taking up the medication-- which equals no pain relief unless massive overdose levels of morphine, oxy's etc. are given. This persists until the naltrexone leaves your system-- at which point the opioids flood those receptors-- again causing the risk of OD. Vivitrol does not have these issues.

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2019 2:15 AM

Good grief! Vivitrol IS naltrexone. They give people medical bracelets when they get Vivitrol shots so medical providers are aware in case of an accident.

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2019 2:21 AM

Good to know - thanks.

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2019 4:01 AM

Good luck you all.

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2019 7:12 PM

What you fear most will meet you halfway. No more stinking thinking. It works if you take the 13th step. Sit in the barber's long enough and you'll end up with a haircut. It was then I realized he carried me. Keep coming. Back.

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2019 3:04 AM

Who needs a pill when you have R55's empty platitudes?

by Anonymousreply 56June 20, 2019 3:06 AM

My platitudes are half full.

by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2019 3:08 AM

The issue R55 is that most people do not keep coming back. Most will relapse and the abstinence and physical,and psychological impact of relapse can make the relapse worse than the original problem (based on Sinclair’s studies). It’s worked for some people - but most hard scientific studies show its failing most people. The treatment methods for addiction really need to be updated from the 1940s. AA has been given a monopoly on the process for a really long time despite evidence that shows other methods may be more effective. Naltrexone works - at least for me.

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2019 4:32 AM

My post was kidding dude. I'm a progressive thinker. I don't believe in AA or other cults.

by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2019 4:39 AM

[quote]r58 The psychological impact of relapse can make the relapse worse than the original problem

It can also make the prolapse worse.

by Anonymousreply 60June 20, 2019 4:40 AM

Sorry R59 - indicative of the AA philosophy that i couldnt tell what was irony and what was real.

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2019 4:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!