Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tim Curry deserved a Supporting Actor Oscar Nomination for “Rocky Horror Picture Show”

What a brilliant performance he gave us!

I know the film itself is silly and campy but a lot of fun with great classic songs! Not to mention he was truly magnificent and stole any and every scene he was in. Top notch performance and no one else topped that performance as Frank.

He’s the only reason I watch this, as well as some of the great songs. My favorite is “I’m Going Home”. Also love “Rose Tints My World”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 5, 2021 1:49 AM

Rose Tints My World is super fun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2019 5:46 PM

It would be nice if the Oscars added a retroactive Oscar category where an overlooked performance was acknowledged and given an award. Isn’t there some kind of award for 25 year old movies or such that are acknowledged as outstanding, but overlooked at the time?

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2019 5:52 PM

I love RHPS but it was not well received, critically or financially, when first released.

It was dismissed, along with Curry's brilliant performance, which embraces high-camp, music theater, and real drama all at once. Not everything holds up so well 4 decades later, but his work does.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2019 6:07 PM

Curry was exceptional

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2019 6:25 PM

That was a shitty movie. Like being at Community Theater.

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2019 6:41 PM

That was the one time in Tim Curry's life when he absolutely nailed the role, he was magnetic, sexy, vulnerable, hilarious, terrifying... he was a superstar for just one role! And yes, I'd have given him an Oscar nom, because every movement, every look of his eyes was absolutely perfect, just what it needed to be. He was perfection itself.

And I'm with R2, there ought to be retroactive Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2019 9:24 PM

there is no was

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2019 9:31 PM

There should be a campaign for the Oscar winner from that year to hand over the award to Curry.

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2019 9:38 PM

I loved Don't Dream It. As campy as it was, still wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2019 9:47 PM

Oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2019 9:47 PM

There's a Light always got me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2019 9:51 PM

He’s amazing. The magnetism is like nothing else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2019 9:51 PM

The opening song is beautiful. In the play, Magenta sang this (Patricia Quinn, who is now a Lady, by marriage). She was pissed when they worked on the film and decided to use HER lips but the voice of Riff Raff or whatever his name was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 16, 2019 10:24 PM

Yep. Oscar has never favored actors in musicals-comedies, and, as others have noted, the movie wasn't on the mainstream radar when it was released. Even the Golden Globes, which have Musical or Comedy categories, totally ignored it.

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2019 10:34 PM

Wasn’t it hated and had protestors against it?

by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2019 10:37 PM

R2 I’m in total agreement with you about retrospective Oscar wins.

I really think when it gets to 100 years of the Academy Awards they should do a totally separate Oscar night and give out awards to sets of people from each decade who were not even nominated at the time. For example, Best Supporting Actor for Robert Shaw in Jaws.

RHPS couldn’t even be called a flop when it was released. It wasn’t even properly released and it was only one guy at 20th Century Fox who later had the idea to send the film reels to college campus’s, and this eventually lead to the midnight screenings and cult following.

Whilst it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, it’s a perfect intimate film. It was shot not far from where I live at Bray studios and it had a tiny budget. Tim Curry is awesome in it and I agree about the ‘I’m going home number’. But Richard O’Brien deserved Oscar recognition too, he wrote all those numbers and the book!

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2019 10:54 PM

The movie and the songs were terrible.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2019 11:00 PM

R17 In your opinion.

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2019 11:03 PM

R17 is fun. A toast!

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2019 11:14 PM

R19, I'm about as fun as toast so maybe that's why I didn't like it

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2019 11:20 PM

Let’s do the Time Warp again

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2019 11:24 PM

Gawd, anyone who cheered because they thought white people were finally experiencing injustice is both an asshole, and totally fucking clueless about life outside their own circle.

Yes, the legal system fails white people all the time! Yes, murderers walk free or get minimal sentences, abusers walk free, corporations destroy people with impunity, the innocent go to jail, the white poor get harassed by the police, and the only people really favored by the justice system are the rich. Yes, white people get more justice from "the justice system" than black, but not a lot more.

To white people, the verdict looked like yet another rich man getting away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2019 11:29 PM

Did I post that on the wrong thread?

If so, oops. If not, the DL system is making posts momentarily appear on the wrong thread again.

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2019 11:30 PM

[quote] There should be a campaign for the Oscar winner from that year to hand over the award to Curry.

Shan't!

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2019 11:32 PM

Back in 1993, film critic Danny Peary published a book called Alternate Oscars, where he went through every year of the Oscars up to 1992 and made his choices for Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Actress -- not only did he often (actually, mostly) disagree with the Academy's choices, but he threw out the rules, allowing any number of nominees in addition to his selection.

For 1975, he did agree with the Academy that Jack Nicholson (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) deserved to win Best Actor; but his additional nominees that year were:

Michael Caine (The Man Who Would be King)

Sean Connery (The Man Who Would be King)

Tim Curry (The Rocky Horror Picture Show)

Gene Hackman (Night Moves)

Walter Matthau (The Sunshine Boys)

Robert Mitchum (Farewell, My Lovely)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2019 11:33 PM

It’s even better on stage

by Anonymousreply 26June 16, 2019 11:34 PM

I think Tim Curry is quite excellent in general and deserved more awards love during the prime of his career. Three Tony nominations, a Grammy nomination, and a Primetime Emmy nomination, but his only win of note is a Daytime Emmy for Peter Pan and the Pirates.

I love his voice and always found him sexy in an unconventional way.

by Anonymousreply 27June 16, 2019 11:36 PM

I was a 15 year old gayling sitting in a midnight showing absolutely captivated by the whole movie. I had never seen anything remotely like it until that point. It opened up a whole new world for me,as "MARY!" as that sounds. I grew up in a place that was literally still stuck in the 50s mentality wise. Heres something to think about..since it was made I wonder how many tens of millions ,if not 100s of millions people have seen it?

by Anonymousreply 28June 16, 2019 11:42 PM

No love for Susan and Barry ?

by Anonymousreply 29June 16, 2019 11:48 PM

R29 they were good but not Awards worthy.

Curry gives the only Awards worthy performance in the film.

by Anonymousreply 30June 16, 2019 11:49 PM

R25 wow that’s awesome. Thanks for sharing. Will look into it.

by Anonymousreply 31June 16, 2019 11:49 PM

R30 Campy doesn’t equate award worthy

by Anonymousreply 32June 16, 2019 11:50 PM

How did Meat Loaf end up in the movie ?

by Anonymousreply 33June 16, 2019 11:51 PM

Did the stage version manage any Tonys ?

by Anonymousreply 34June 16, 2019 11:51 PM

Didn’t the stage version do amazing in London, Chicago, LA but flopped in NYC? I remember it closing early in NYC back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 35June 16, 2019 11:53 PM

[quote]How did Meat Loaf end up in the movie ?

Because he was in the stage production.

by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2019 11:58 PM

R35. I know the original London show was not in the West End, it was in the theatre upstairs in Chelsea. Like a really small venue.

The Rocky Horror Show didn’t really start getting big West End Venues until the 1990 production.

It’s also (now) a somewhat compromised live show as it attracts fans who shout and sing along. This is great for once a week experience, but standard theatre goers wanting to see the show would get really annoyed by it. That kind of thing is ok if you’ve seen it before, but for regular theatre goers it would put them off. Therefore the productions can’t run long enough to make a lot of money. They do better touring, as the theatres on a tour only attract the die hard fans who love the participation.

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2019 12:01 AM

R33. Yes he played Eddie and Dr Scott at the Roxy in LA. Jonathan Adams who played the narrator in the West End production played Dr Scott in the film and Meatloaf only played Eddie.

Personally, I’d have liked to see Meatloaf play both parts in the film.

by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2019 12:06 AM

Tim Curry was gorgeous as Gaal in Earth2

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2019 12:07 AM

R38 why? I hate Meat Loaf

by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2019 12:08 AM

This is the only other Frank-N-Furter that was good. Most others sucked.

ESPECIALLY LAVERNE COX.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 17, 2019 12:10 AM

Supporting? Honey that's a lead if there ever was and they do have Retro Oscars, it's called Lifetime Achievement or Honorary

by Anonymousreply 42June 17, 2019 12:14 AM

I also thought Curry deserved a nom for Clue. He was brilliant.

His comedic skills were stunning. Even in Home Alone 2 he was hysterical. The voice, facial expressions...

by Anonymousreply 43June 17, 2019 12:39 AM

Tim Curry would have made the perfect Grinch. Jim Carrey was too over the top.

by Anonymousreply 44June 17, 2019 12:42 AM

Also, a call out to Charles Gray who appeared as the narrator in "Time Warp". He played Blofeld in "Diamonds Are Forever" (1971).

[quote]It's just a jump to the left

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 17, 2019 1:32 AM

[quote]He’s the only reason I watch this, as well as some of the great songs.

Really? The whole cast is delightful, especially Susan Sarandon. There’s not a weak link in the bunch.

(As per usual, Tuesday Weld was offered the female lead, first.) (And as per usual, she turned it down.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2019 3:42 AM

Why did the guy who played Rocky Horror hate it so much? He hates this movie and hated filming it.

by Anonymousreply 47June 17, 2019 3:44 AM

The Alternate Oscars book r25 talks about is great. I have a copy somewhere. It made me seek out movies I'd never seen before. I always wanted an updated version with movies that came after 1992.

by Anonymousreply 48June 17, 2019 3:57 AM

R47 Rocky Horror was played (but not sung) by Peter Hinwood, who said:

“One, I can’t act. Two, I cringe with embarrassment every time I see myself on film. Three, I relish a quiet, peaceful life.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 17, 2019 4:47 AM

There’s dick pics of him online. Uncut.

by Anonymousreply 50June 17, 2019 5:33 AM

^Link ?

by Anonymousreply 51June 17, 2019 12:06 PM

R47, Nell Campbell shed more light on that. She explained that back in 1973 for the show and 1974 when the film was made, it was almost impossible to find actors and singers who went to the gym. Whilst she said now it’s the norm, back in those days no actors had the body Rocky Horror was supposed to have. Therefore it was an impossible part to cast.

Peter Hinwood did have this body, but wasn’t an actor. He had a somewhat ambiguous past, did nude modelling, appeared in a Derek Jarman film and is now an antiques dealer. Hinwood would have never seen it as an acting job. He’d have been paid a few thousand pounds (which he would have thought was a fortune back then) and thought his work was done. Then a few years later the film becomes a cult and he’s hunted down everywhere. He’s never wanted to do any interviews for the film and has to suffer people discovering where his antiques shop is located and turning up to get memorabilia signed.

by Anonymousreply 52June 17, 2019 12:30 PM

Peter Hinwood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 17, 2019 12:35 PM

I always get a hoot seeing Patricia Quinn as Livilla in "I Claudius", done around the same time as the movie of "Rocky Horror". She's not quite like grandmother Livia (Sian Phillips), but she's young and wicked and ends up getting what she deserves, punished by her mother. Here she is with Patrick Stewart as Serjanus.

Sheila White (Bet in the movie version of "Oliver!") is even more deliciously bad as Messalina!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 17, 2019 12:40 PM

He was also fabulous in "Legend". A Honorary Oscar would be lovely. Attention Academy......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 17, 2019 1:55 PM

Tim Curry was a great Pennywise

by Anonymousreply 56June 17, 2019 2:34 PM

Love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 57June 18, 2019 3:54 PM

Curry was mesmerizing as Dr. Frank N Furter.

All these years later I could still watch it over and over because of his performance. Everyone in the film was cast perfectly actually, even the hated Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 58July 6, 2019 3:27 PM

This was one hell of a performance

by Anonymousreply 59August 24, 2019 10:41 PM

Supporting? That's a lead role, even if it's an ensemble piece.

by Anonymousreply 60August 24, 2019 10:42 PM

I think it marked the transition from the Glam Rock to the Punk era. A lot of the early punks looked like Rocky Horror cast members.

by Anonymousreply 61August 24, 2019 10:45 PM

in a way he’s Lead and the others are Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2019 10:45 PM

When I as a kid, I confused Tim Rice and Tim Curry. I imagined Tim Rice writing his famous musicals wearing a wig and black fishnets.

by Anonymousreply 63August 25, 2019 12:17 AM

He was phenomenal

by Anonymousreply 64October 30, 2019 4:18 PM

Tim Curry couldn't have been cast as the Grinch because right up until he had his strokes, people wanted to fuck him. That was a huge part of his appeal, but not really a quality the Grinch should exude.

by Anonymousreply 65October 30, 2019 4:24 PM

Tim Curry was great in Rocky Horror and really does deserve a retroactive award for the show.

I never get tired of hearing or seeing parts of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 66October 30, 2019 4:42 PM

r37, I saw that production---with about 24 high school students I was chaperoning on an Easter trip to England. When we got back home, a local theatre began the midnight movie showings. We all went again!

by Anonymousreply 67October 30, 2019 4:51 PM

Ironically, Curry played a prim and sex hating professor in Kinsey with Liam Neeson.

by Anonymousreply 68October 30, 2019 6:34 PM

What did the OP do to get red-tagged?

by Anonymousreply 69October 30, 2019 8:54 PM

He ate Chick-Fil-A r69

by Anonymousreply 70October 30, 2019 10:04 PM

Has anyone seen my tambourine?

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT, BITCHES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 31, 2019 6:27 PM

[quote]Patrick Stewart as Serjanus

SEjanus! No R!

by Anonymousreply 72November 1, 2019 12:00 AM

I would give him the Oscar too. Not just nominate him.

by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2020 1:15 AM

I will always stand by this.

by Anonymousreply 74May 5, 2021 1:44 AM

Who exactly was he supporting OP? He was clearly the lead.

by Anonymousreply 75May 5, 2021 1:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!