Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which classic and modern films stars "shut the door"?

The linked article about Joan Collins from 2005 briefly, if clumsily, explains the concept:

[quote] This is a show business expression referring to ageing screen beauties who have become recluses, in the way of Norma Desmond, the fictional heroine of Sunset Boulevard.

RETIRED screen siren Elizabeth Taylor was the violet-eyed, raven-haired temptress who created the template for the modern movie goddess as celebrity, putting ever more appearances in the gossip columns than at the film studios.

But at 72-years-old she is said to have ``shut the door'.

This is a show business expression referring to ageing screen beauties who have become recluses, in the way of Norma Desmond, the fictional heroine of Sunset Boulevard.

In director Billy Wilder's original film script, Norma dismisses her long absence from the screen with the memorable words: ``I'm still big, it's the pictures that got small. '

It happens eventually to even the greatest glamour girls, including the enigmatic Greta Garbo.

Or they end up devoted only to animals, as in the case of Brigitte Bardot, Tippi Hedren and Kim Novak.

One particularly sad case was the lovely Rita Hayworth, whose life sank into sozzled senility.

The only one nearly to escape was Marlene Dietrich, who reinvented herself as an international cabaret artiste (deferring reclusiveness to her 90s).

In contrast to Dame Elizabeth, who claims to be British (being born in Hampstead), is our own better, truer Brit, Joan Collins.

In spite of being (at 71) only a year younger than La Taylor, Joan is desperate to be back in front of the cameras with a part in the new US hit comedy series Desperate Housewives.

She has been badgering her agent to suggest her to the programme's producers as 40-something Teri Hatcher's desperate mother.

Age has not withered her ambition.

How we ever lost the empire with memsahib pensioners of this calibre of spunkiness is one of life's continuing mysteries.

CAPTION(S):

Joan Collins shows no signs of retiring

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 22, 2020 1:32 AM

Joan Crawford is the prime example.

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2019 4:19 AM

I don't even consider Garbo, Bardot, Novak and Hedren to be recluses. They may have shut the door on their movie careers, but they remained active in other areas, and had their circle of friends to keep them company. True recluses are shut-ins, who have withdrawn from society and live a life of solitude. Howard Hughes and the Beales come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2019 4:20 AM

Rita had Alzheimer’s. This writer is an uninformed asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2019 4:54 AM

Hedy Lamarr.

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2019 4:56 AM

It's Hedley damn it!

by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2019 4:56 AM

Only in public, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6June 13, 2019 5:02 AM

Wow, that’s funny someone is blaming the divas for walking away.

It’s not true. Hollywood studios are the ones who “shut the door” on actors because they’re not young and beautiful anymore — past their physical prime.

by Anonymousreply 7June 13, 2019 5:03 AM

Mary Pickford. Billy Wilder intended for Pickford to play the Norma Desmond role in "Sunset Boulevard."

by Anonymousreply 8June 13, 2019 5:04 AM

R8, why pick on her? It’s not fair. The poor woman had termites infecting her home.

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2019 5:19 AM

Helen Lawson.

Fucking bitch lives next door to me. RENTS her condo. Feeds the damn strays so there are at least two dozen saucers with dried flecks of Fancy Feast on her back porch and hundreds of hard little turds dried in the baking Cathedral City desert sun. Plays that damn "Tree" song repeatedly. Smells like piss, not sure which pussy it belongs to.

God, I wish she would die already.

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2019 5:27 AM

OP, where did you dig up that swill? Sorry. I meant bilge.

by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2019 5:38 AM

R2 is correct, there's a huge difference between shutting the door on Hollywood, and shutting the door on all humanity. The first is good sense, the second means there's something seriously wrong.

Garbo is one who shut the door on Hollywood, but continued to live an active life with many friends and interests and a lovely home in NYC. Nothing wrong with that, she was probably happier than those who stay in the game as they age, clinging to their youth and the tattered shreds of stardom.

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2019 7:22 AM

Joanne Woodward

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2019 7:24 AM

Does Doris Day qualify?

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2019 10:13 AM

The prime example is actually Marlene. She decided at some point that enough was enough and retired to her Paris apartment and became a recluse, letting the public remember her as she was. Her daughter's book is pretty brutal about her last years.

by Anonymousreply 15June 13, 2019 12:05 PM

[quote] Smells like piss, not sure which pussy it belongs to.

Tehe.

by Anonymousreply 16June 13, 2019 12:19 PM

Kay Francis during her heyday said, "I can't wait to be forgotten". She finished out her Warner Brothers contract in 1939 in B movies, went onto play some glamorous schemers and mothers on free-lance, toured with several women to entertain the troops, made three films at Monogram that are better than the average B movie fare, returned to Broadway in "State of the Union", and toured in stock for a few years. She tried TV but didn't like the pacing. I believe by 1954, she was out of the spotlight completely and spent the next 14 years of her life not quite a recluse but turning down the infrequent offer like the Constance Bennett role in "Madame X". Her films were mainly late show fare for years until TCM resurrected her name, two biographies of her came out, and she was on the cover of Jeanine Basinger's book "A Woman's View". People had forgotten that she was once the "Queen of Warner Brothers" with the highest salary (but mostly for films that were not box office hits) and considered Hollywood's most fashionable woman. For the last decade of her life, the pictures in the books about her show her as a vivacious older woman with family, very close to her nieces and nephews. I find her fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 13, 2019 12:44 PM

R17, please link pics of her as an old broad.

by Anonymousreply 18June 13, 2019 12:48 PM

I shut the door years ago. I've been trying to get it back open ever since.

Silly me.

by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2019 2:05 PM

Deanna Durbin for sure.

by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2019 2:45 PM

Was the Helen Lawson stuff ever funny, or fresh? I don't understand why that troll works so hard at it.

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2019 3:03 PM

[quote]Joan Crawford is the prime example.

Crawford went into hiding relatively late in her life. Garbo is the prime example.

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2019 3:09 PM

I keep my door propped wide open at all times, but the industry and some bitchy gay guys keep slamming it shut when I'm not watching.

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2019 3:28 PM

And of course DL's all time favorite, Shelley Duvall. She didn't shut the door, it shut on her.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2019 3:57 PM

"Garbo is the prime example. "

No she wasn't. As someone said above, Garbo may have walked away from Hollywood, but she had an active social life with many friends, and spent her days with them, or traveling, or seeing her relatives in Sweden, or just taking long walks through New York where she lived. She wasn't a recluse, she just avoided publicity.

Marlene Dietrich became a genuine recluse in her last years, she stopped seeing anyone, didn't leave her apartment, never left her bed although she wasn't ill.

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2019 5:16 PM

Marlene Dietrich spent the last thirteen years of her life as a recluse in her Paris apartment. Thirteen years!

by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2019 5:22 PM

Re: Marlene - I remember hearing the story about how she fell or tripped on stage during one of her concerts, for some reason I think it was in New Orleans. Anyway, after being hospitalised for the fall, she flew back to Paris, and was never again to leave her apartment. She wanted to be remembered as the glamorous woman she was, not seen as someone aging, growing frail.

Don’t know how much of or if any of it is true as regards why she became a recluse. I do remember reading that while she was cut off in her apartment, she spent hours on the phone daily with friends, family throughout the world. All the calls ran to thousands of dollars a month in phone bills.

Did anyone ever see the documentary on her by Maximilian Schell? He did an interview where he went over the process of getting Marlene to agree to it. They were great friends, so that helped his cause, but she wouldn’t allow any filming of her, and none of his crew were allowed to see her. I think even the scenes shot thru a doorway and Max interviewing her, where you just see her gesticulating with her hands as she spoke, which was all you saw of her ever in the film, were filmed after with a stand-in, as Marlene wouldn’t allow even that small bit of her on film.

Again, it’s been years, so some bits may be mixed up in my mind, but overall I’d give Marlene to top spot in our DL list of famous recluses.

by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2019 6:38 PM

Norma Shearer shut the door on her movie career but stayed active for nearly 30 years. She became ill with dementia in the last 10 years of her. She died in the Motion Picture Retirement Hime. At least she had a happy and enduring marriage for over 40 years. Nobody had a career as big as hers.

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2019 10:15 PM

[quote] All the calls ran to thousands of dollars a month in phone bills.

She should have gotten an unlimited plan.

by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2019 11:49 PM

Liz did not shut the door. She could be seen at the Abbey in her wheelchair up until a year or so before she died.

by Anonymousreply 30June 14, 2019 12:06 AM

I guess she wasn't a film star, but she was acclaimed for her stage performances in London and New York, and shut the door ten years ago.

Kate Nelligan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 14, 2019 12:49 AM

Didn't Mary Pickford shut the door after her film career ended? I think she just stayed in Pickfair and drank? I think the stars who depended to a great extent on their looks like Crawford and Dietrich shut the door when they felt they couldnt maintain the illusion of their looks.

by Anonymousreply 32June 14, 2019 12:50 AM

[quote] Didn't Mary Pickford shut the door after her film career ended? I think she just stayed in Pickfair and drank?

You would too if your house were infested with termites!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 14, 2019 1:01 AM

Mary Astor took up residence in the Motion Picture Home for the last 16 years of her life. Her final film appearance was in 1964, she died in 1987.

by Anonymousreply 34June 14, 2019 1:07 AM

James Cagney stayed out of the public eye for many years, until he was coaxed out of retirement to take a small role in the film "Ragtime".

by Anonymousreply 35June 14, 2019 1:09 AM

[quote] Was the Helen Lawson stuff ever funny, or fresh?

Actually, yes.

But certainly not in the example above.

by Anonymousreply 36June 14, 2019 1:12 AM

Yvette Vickers. Her door was shut, and covered in cobwebs.

by Anonymousreply 37June 14, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote]Mary Astor took up residence in the Motion Picture Home for the last 16 years of her life. Her final film appearance was in 1964, she died in 1987.

That last film appearance was as Jewel Mayhew in DL fave "Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte."

by Anonymousreply 38June 14, 2019 1:33 AM

R23 Miss Faye moved to New York City over two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 39June 14, 2019 2:13 AM

Hedy Lamarr

by Anonymousreply 40June 14, 2019 2:23 AM

R40, are you R4?

by Anonymousreply 41June 14, 2019 2:25 AM

Ahem!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 14, 2019 2:28 AM

"She decided at some point that enough was enough and retired."

Actually, she stopped performing because of a leg injury she sustained when she fell off a stage. Drunk (she was an alcoholic) and encased in a skin tight dress that was like a suit of armor, she wobbled and fell; she later blamed it on some poor conductor, saying he grabbed her hand to shake it and pulled her off the stage. Anyway, that really did it; she was physically not fit to perform anymore. Not wishing to have anyone see her aging, she holed up in her apartment until her death at 90. There's a good documentary about her, "Marlene", directed by Maximilian Schell. He had a hard time making it; at first she allowed him to film her, then changed her mind, so the film only features her voice. But he created an original, affecting documentary from what he had to work with, despite Dietrich's tendency not to cooperate.

by Anonymousreply 43June 14, 2019 2:48 AM

Cameron Diaz.

by Anonymousreply 44June 14, 2019 3:49 AM

Norma Desmond

by Anonymousreply 45June 14, 2019 3:57 AM

Barbara Jean Trenton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 14, 2019 3:58 AM

Kate Hepburn

Pola Negri

Clara Bow

Veronica Lake

Louise Brooks

Joan Fontaine

by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2019 4:33 AM

Jean Arthur

by Anonymousreply 48June 14, 2019 4:34 AM

Ida Lupino

by Anonymousreply 49June 14, 2019 4:35 AM

Claudette Colbert

by Anonymousreply 50June 14, 2019 4:40 AM

R50, Not really. She was still appearing on Broadway and in a television miniseries right up to the end.

by Anonymousreply 51June 14, 2019 5:09 AM

Madge...are you listening ???

by Anonymousreply 52June 14, 2019 5:25 AM

Richard Simmons is a good one, apparently he's not just stopped making public appearances, he isn't seeing his friends either.

My guess is that he got fat again, and can't bear to let anyone see him like that.

by Anonymousreply 53June 14, 2019 5:31 AM

Marlene Dietrich had circulation problems in her legs for years, and that caused a lot of pain. She drank to cope with it. The pain and circulatory problems forced her to give up smoking, and I've read that when she quit smoking she really became impossible to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 54June 14, 2019 1:57 PM

Marlene had really one of the best runs as a entertainer. She didn't embarrass herself often, and she was a genuine class act in WWII. She deserved her bed and gin. Apparently she was on the phone to VIPs around the world, hours a day.

by Anonymousreply 55June 14, 2019 2:37 PM

Jean Arthur retired early rebuffing job offers after she filmed “Shane.”

by Anonymousreply 56June 14, 2019 2:40 PM

Jean Arthur never made another film after Shane, but she didn’t stop working. She appeared on stage and television through the ‘60s, and had a (short-lived) TV series in 1966. Then she began teaching acting at Vassar (where she saw student Meryl Streep act and called her "a movie star") until she retired at age 73 in 1973.

by Anonymousreply 57June 14, 2019 2:59 PM

although not a movie star, The Duchess of Windsors' last years were pitiful

by Anonymousreply 58June 14, 2019 3:05 PM

Debra Paget

Yvette Mimieux

Paula Prentiss

Sue Lyon

Carroll Baker

by Anonymousreply 59June 14, 2019 3:21 PM

Sandy Dennis became a cat lady

by Anonymousreply 60June 14, 2019 3:23 PM

[quote]Was the Helen Lawson stuff ever funny, or fresh?

Was Lawson herself ever funny or fresh?

by Anonymousreply 61June 14, 2019 4:15 PM

Yvette Vickers still did conventions shortly before her death. She also corresponded with fans and a few close friends. She seemed to start drinking later in life and started to become mentally unwell and paranoid.

The cobwebs were there because she was dead for several months and no one and been in or out of the house. Still one of the sadder celeb deaths.

by Anonymousreply 62June 14, 2019 4:36 PM

ggfc

by Anonymousreply 63June 16, 2019 4:24 PM

[quote] ggfc

Golden Girls fuck cluster

by Anonymousreply 64June 16, 2019 4:26 PM

Olivia de Havilland

by Anonymousreply 65June 16, 2019 5:51 PM

Taylor would have continued being out and about in her last decade if not for the broken back and brain tumor surgery. But yes, even after her health had completely collapsed, she was still out and about on her wheelchair whenever possible.

by Anonymousreply 66June 18, 2019 1:47 AM

Dolores Hart

by Anonymousreply 67June 18, 2019 2:11 AM

Yes, Liz Taylor didn't completely shut herself away. Her health was bad and her mobility was limited, but she still got out when she could. Greta Garbo went out walking every day and traveled, and had a small circle of friends she socialized with.

Dietrich is probably the ultimate example, still. She was a true recluse for well over a decade, and her last years were quite sad.

by Anonymousreply 68June 18, 2019 2:15 AM

Dietrich had visitors.

by Anonymousreply 69June 18, 2019 2:17 AM

Very few visitors. Outside of her family, she wouldn't allow old friends to see her.

by Anonymousreply 70June 18, 2019 2:21 AM

Liza Minnelli

by Anonymousreply 71June 18, 2019 2:34 AM

No photos, Schwein!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 18, 2019 2:35 AM

This article is all over the road. Apparently “becoming a recluse” is a euphemism for “getting old.”

by Anonymousreply 73June 18, 2019 2:44 AM

That wasn't Dietrich r72. This photos is Dietrich, taken in her late 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 18, 2019 2:44 AM

R73, what kind of creature are you?

by Anonymousreply 75June 18, 2019 2:53 AM

[quote] Liza Minnelli

Liza Minnelli film star?

by Anonymousreply 76June 18, 2019 2:54 AM

R74 looks okay, but that's some pallor.

by Anonymousreply 77June 18, 2019 3:21 AM

Whatever did Mary Astor DO for sixteen years at the Motion Picture Home? It seems like a long time to be in assisted living. I am an actor, and I know that The Actors Fund has assisted-living as well as a more hospital-like set up both in their Woodland Hills and New Jersey facilities, but do they have little bungalows for people who are just out of money too?

Whenever an obituary lists Woodland Hills, or Englewood New Jersey as the place of death, that means the actor died at the Motion Picture nursing homes.

by Anonymousreply 78June 18, 2019 5:04 AM

Mary took it easy. Smelled the flowers. Watched some soaps. Whipped up a mean lasagna now and then. Looked at her Oscar° Reminisced with Norma Shearer about Clark Gable. She'd earned it.

by Anonymousreply 79June 18, 2019 6:52 AM

Marlene told Schell she'd let him show her in his documentary, for a high price. He didn't have the money. It's all in her daughters book. It's great.

by Anonymousreply 80June 18, 2019 7:05 AM

[quote]Whatever did Mary Astor DO for sixteen years at the Motion Picture Home?

Indulged in chronic masturbation.

by Anonymousreply 81June 18, 2019 7:09 AM

Mary Astor later moved to Fountain Valley, California, where she lived near her son, Tono del Campo (from her third marriage to Mexican film editor Manuel del Campo), and his family, until 1971. That same year, suffering from a chronic heart condition, she moved to a small cottage on the grounds of the Motion Picture & Television Country House, the industry's retirement facility in Woodland Hills, California, where she had a private table when she chose to eat in the resident dining room.

by Anonymousreply 82June 18, 2019 7:52 AM

Sometimes she'd call up Bette Davis and they'd reenact the desert sequence from "The Great Lie."

by Anonymousreply 83June 18, 2019 8:52 AM

I believe Peg Entwistle closed the door more effectively than most.

by Anonymousreply 84June 18, 2019 9:49 AM

Dolores Hart

by Anonymousreply 85June 18, 2019 10:07 AM

Have to agree Marlene owns this thread. Getting old, going into a home, a fading career, is not shutting the door. Marlene shut the door went to bed and NEVER fucking got up again. The only people who saw her were her daughter and paid help. As has been said. Read her daughters' book. She didn't get out of bed even to take a dump or piss. If old friends rang the door, she pretended to be the maid on the intercom. The problems with her legs became severe because she refused to seek medical help. No one, absolutely no one could know the goddess was human, getting old and frail. When the illusion could no longer be maintained she shut the door and went to bed. Talk about dedication th the image. Even if it was grim, you have to admire her style, even in this.

by Anonymousreply 86June 18, 2019 10:33 AM

Olivia owns this thread now, never seen out,

by Anonymousreply 87June 18, 2019 10:36 AM

Lola Falana. After she was diagnosed with MS, she disappeared from Vegas and moved back to Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 88June 18, 2019 10:43 AM

Brigitte Bardot wins this thread

by Anonymousreply 89June 18, 2019 12:27 PM

She didn't quite "shut the door" but Alice Faye walked off a lucrative 20th Century Fox contract at the height of her career in 1945 when she'd simply had enough. She wanted to spend more time with her family and also saw that Zanuck was building up the careers of Betty Grable, Linda Darnell and June Haver. She worked in radio on her husband band leader Phil Harris' show but led a happy private life.

When she broke her contract Zanuck had her blackballed at all the other studios and she didn't return to the screen until 1962 in State Fair.

by Anonymousreply 90June 18, 2019 12:50 PM

Matt Lattanzi. Wait, is this the ass thread?

by Anonymousreply 91June 18, 2019 12:57 PM

If Richard Simmons qualifies as a classic or modern film star that shut the door, then so do I.

by Anonymousreply 92June 18, 2019 1:15 PM

R87 Olivia goes out all the time. She's just a master of disguise. Yesterday I realized that the little mustachioed man from whom I bought a copy of Paris Match was in fact she.

by Anonymousreply 93June 18, 2019 4:58 PM

More about Bridgette Bardot, please. Hasn't she become an animal hoarder in her old age?

As for Garbo, she's an example of healthy aging, if anything. If you're single and aging, do like her and manage your money well, see your friends, travel, take long walks, stay interested in the world around you, and play with the elves under the bed. Everyone needs a hobby.

by Anonymousreply 94June 18, 2019 11:10 PM

Garbo retired in her mid-30s, was filthy rich for the rest of her life, had a fabulous NYC apartment and did whatever she wanted. That sounds pretty damn good to me.

by Anonymousreply 95June 18, 2019 11:47 PM

Kim Novak is being profiled on tomorrow's CBS Sunday Morning.

by Anonymousreply 96January 12, 2020 2:27 AM

I don't think I've seen a photo of Jack Nicholson in years, and he was EVERYWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 97January 12, 2020 3:19 AM

"play with the elves under the bed. "

But the elves under my bed are dead and I can't reach them.

God it smells in here.

by Anonymousreply 98January 12, 2020 3:35 AM

Vera-Ellen, Lucille Bremer

by Anonymousreply 99January 12, 2020 4:27 AM

Hasn't Liza Minelli done it now, retreated from public life?

by Anonymousreply 100January 12, 2020 4:28 AM

Liza has mostly retreated from public life, but she’s not a recluse. I saw her perform in July 2018 and she’s done a few random appearances since then as well as doing some Instagram posts that had her singing. She’s just in poor health and seemingly confined to a wheelchair now so I get her not being out and about.

by Anonymousreply 101January 12, 2020 5:02 AM

I only wish I'd kept the door shut.

by Anonymousreply 102January 12, 2020 5:42 AM

I hear that, sister.

by Anonymousreply 103January 12, 2020 5:43 AM

Jack Nicholson had a stroke a few years ago and he hasn’t been right since.

by Anonymousreply 104January 12, 2020 1:51 PM

America's ex-sweetheart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 12, 2020 2:15 PM

Sue Lyon. She gave one interview on French television in 1987 and was never heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 106January 12, 2020 2:52 PM

What happened to Jessica Lange? Debra Winger? Meg Ryan?

by Anonymousreply 107January 12, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote]What happened to Jessica Lange?

Don't watch a lot of TV, R107?

by Anonymousreply 108January 12, 2020 3:42 PM

I was going to mention Kate Nelligan in the Amber Alert thread. She was really talented.

by Anonymousreply 109January 12, 2020 3:49 PM

Julianne Phillips, Springsteen’s ex-wife. Had a solid television and modeling career for a while, then nothing.

by Anonymousreply 110January 12, 2020 6:50 PM

[quote] No she wasn't. As someone said above, Garbo may have walked away from Hollywood, but she had an active social life with many friends, and spent her days with them, or traveling, or seeing her relatives in Sweden, or just taking long walks through New York where she lived. She wasn't a recluse, she just avoided publicity.

Yes, she was.

"Avoiding publicity" and not doing work anymore is exactly what this thread is about--no star ever shuts themselves up for all time in a house and sees no one. (Mary Pickford, one of the most reclusive of all Hollywood silent stars, still saw people at Pickfair until she went senile.) Even Norma Desmond regularly had her friends from the silent days (whom Joe Gillis calls "the waxworks") over to her house to play cards.

Garbo is the epitome of what the OP is talking about. She did still have a very active social life, but she refused to do any acting or publicity after "a Woman's Face." That's what "shutting the door" means.

by Anonymousreply 111January 12, 2020 7:10 PM

One of the most extreme examples of this was the child star Virginia Weidler, who was Little Mary in "The Women" and also famous for "the Philadelphia Story" and "Babes on Broadway" and "Best Foot Forward." She refused to do any interviews after she left Hollywood, and refused to talk about her Hollywood days even with her children. For years they had no idea she was a child star.

by Anonymousreply 112January 12, 2020 7:13 PM

Some of these people just stopped getting work. They didn't deliberately "shut the door" - they just stopped being relevant

by Anonymousreply 113January 12, 2020 8:09 PM

Maggie McNamara...she walked away at one point, right?

by Anonymousreply 114January 13, 2020 12:24 AM

Dolores Hart

by Anonymousreply 115January 13, 2020 1:26 AM

Betty Hutton retreated to working in a convent as a kind of housekeeper.

Dolores Hart forsook a busy film career to actually become a nun, and is now mother superior of a convent in Connecticut. Though she seemed to have been pretty reclusive for years, she now gives the occasional interview, and has even maintained her membership in the Screen Actors Guild.

I seem to recall both Greer Garson and Irene Dunne married well and retired to private life. Garson had an uneventful comeback as John Davidson’s mother, in the ill-fated “Happiest Millionaire,” but Dunne apparently had no interest in interviews, let alone a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 116January 13, 2020 8:44 AM

Child actor Claude Jarman Jr. retired after he outgrew his film career, and now lives peacefully with a longterm partner in the San Francisco area.

San Francisco was also the home of former action star Kerwin Mathews, who ran an antique shop with his longterm partner for many years.

After Richard Beymer’s film career petered out, he turned to other pursuits. Not so much a retreat as a forced exile.

by Anonymousreply 117January 13, 2020 9:01 AM

Did Richard Beymer ever come out?

by Anonymousreply 118January 13, 2020 3:13 PM

Norma Shearer...after foolishly turning down the lead in MRS. MINIVER, she made two back to back rom coms that were poorly received, then she decided to retire. Without the sure hand of her husband Irving Thalberg, her career lost its glow. Plus he left her financially well off when he died and she didn’t have to work. Then she married her sexy French ski instructor and lived happily ever after. She still attended Hollywood events and was active in war work. She also discovered Janet Leigh at a ski lodge. But when she quit, she quit.

by Anonymousreply 119January 13, 2020 3:34 PM

Bardot turned into a right wing harpy, complaining about Jews, Muslims and African immigrants in France. We’re better off without her. All she has to do now is die. Hurry Brigitte...

by Anonymousreply 120January 13, 2020 3:36 PM

Brigitte also made anti-gay comments

by Anonymousreply 121January 13, 2020 3:38 PM

Not surprised r121...she is truly the antithesis of the sophisticated and Sensual French woman he handlers made her out to be.

by Anonymousreply 122January 14, 2020 4:37 PM

Ann Harding was a major star in the 1930's, nominated for an Oscar for playing a very free thinking female in the original screen version of "Holiday". For the remainder of her leading lady career (mostly at RKO up until 1937), she played extremely noble women and that got tiresome fast. She did some stage, returned to film in 1942 after a bad marriage, and played character parts through the mid 1950's. Other than some TV and a few stage appearances, she was basically done with the limelight. I don't think she did anything acting wise after 1964. In 1971, a film historian contacted her for an interview, and she politely begged to be excused, saying she was content being done with the industry. She passed away pretty much forgotten in 1981 and has only garnered attention because of cable TV and her films being released on VHS and more of them on DVD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 14, 2020 5:03 PM

Ann Harding had such a cool, noble beauty.

by Anonymousreply 124January 14, 2020 5:42 PM

I think Ann looked like Jeanne Eagels

by Anonymousreply 125January 14, 2020 6:03 PM

I think she looks like me, except not as sexy!

Giggle.

by Anonymousreply 126January 14, 2020 6:06 PM

Jack Nicholson was in talks to play Bruce Dern's part in Nebraska and then later in a remake of Toni Erdmann but that looks like it won't happen now. Sad his last film will probably be the Reese Witherspoon film How Do You Know

by Anonymousreply 127January 14, 2020 6:16 PM

Gene Hackman and Sean Connery

by Anonymousreply 128January 14, 2020 6:17 PM

Norma made some very good films after Irving died and she probably would have gotten Philadelphia Story if Kate didn't own the rights. Which is exactly why Kate owned the rights. She knew she wouldn't get the role. She was no longer on top as Norma still was.

Norma had to fight Mayer hard for Irving's financial compensation. She made some important films with Cukor but completely ignored him when they saw each other on the street years later. She also 'discovered' Robert Evans.

by Anonymousreply 129January 14, 2020 6:51 PM

Norma was a tad narcissistic, wasn’t she? She had the best facial profile of any other actress onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 130January 14, 2020 7:19 PM

I'm really okay with Jack Nicholson shutting the door.... on his career, or to his crypt.

by Anonymousreply 131January 15, 2020 3:42 AM

Jack’s ex just wants to be alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 15, 2020 3:54 AM

Jack Nicholson is an odious human being. There used to be photos of him online in blackface...looks as if they were scrubbed. But I’ve seen them. He was allegedly abusive towards Lara Flynn Boyle too.

by Anonymousreply 133January 15, 2020 4:11 PM

I'm a big Norma fan but a tad narcissistic is definitely understating it I believe someone a child actress no less overheard her fighting with Mayer and right in front her as Norma was leaving yelling at Louis B I've fucked too many men to get where I am!

by Anonymousreply 134January 15, 2020 5:03 PM

Angie Dickinson?

by Anonymousreply 135January 15, 2020 5:09 PM

OP - I said NO COMMENT!

by Anonymousreply 136January 22, 2020 1:03 AM

I find the Richard Simmons situation heartbreaking. I think he did a lot of good for people and it's sad that maybe there's no one there for him. He's not that old, I hope he pulls out of it.

by Anonymousreply 137January 22, 2020 1:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!