Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ecuador High Court approve marriage for 2 gay couples

Go Ecuador!

Finally some good news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2019 4:54 PM

This is my favourite kind of news!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2019 12:09 AM

Photo of one of the lucky couples.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2019 12:11 AM

[quote] Finally some good news.

How quickly you forget Bhutan and Botswana.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2019 12:13 AM

R3, no. I am very glad that both of those countries decriminalized homosexuality.

This is a great leap forward for Ecuador. I studied abroad there 15 years ago and this is huge progress for one of the more traditional countries of South America.

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2019 12:19 AM

[quote]I studied abroad there 15 years ago

Tell us more. About Ecuador, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2019 12:20 AM

[quote] one of the more traditional countries of South America.

I’ve seen it described as the monastery of Latin America.

by Anonymousreply 6June 13, 2019 12:22 AM

r6 Damn, never heard that one before. Is it really that bad? I've googled it just now and see that the Catholic Church has been duking it out with the evangelicals (Pentecostals). That might sound amusing but just look at what's happened in Brazil...

by Anonymousreply 7June 13, 2019 12:28 AM

Mr Gay Ecuador

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 13, 2019 12:30 AM

r8 Fuck me, his shoulders go on forever!

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2019 12:31 AM

R5, it's a gorgeous country -- with Amazon, Andes, and coast. And the Galapagos, of course. It's been one of the more safe and stable countries of South America, escaping the narco and insurgency problems which affected neighboring Colombia and Peru in the 80s and 90s.

They use the US$D as their currency and there are a lot of American and European retirees there. It's super cheap -- I would maybe retire there. The towns of Mindo, Baños, Cuenca, and Vilcabamba are my favorite. I know gay couples in all four places and I'm sure they're thrilled with this news!

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2019 12:36 AM

They're walking to Texas for their honeymoon.

by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2019 12:42 AM

What does Mr. Gay Ecuador’s ass look like?

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2019 12:48 AM

Looks like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2019 12:49 AM

Do ecuadorian men look exotic ? Never met anyone from that country.

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2019 12:50 AM

He was actually the very first Mr Gay Ecuador. Good for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 13, 2019 12:51 AM

[quote] Looks like this.

Flat, but he looks good at R8 and R15.

by Anonymousreply 16June 13, 2019 12:52 AM

Here's a nice article about the gay life in Ecuador. Mario looks super handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 13, 2019 12:54 AM

R15, he is hot.

by Anonymousreply 18June 13, 2019 12:54 AM

r16 This pic of him is killer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2019 12:55 AM

He looks sicillian.

by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2019 1:00 AM

I know a few Ecuadorian guys - they tend to be incredibly beautiful...or butt ugly. No in between average guys...

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2019 1:20 AM

Mindo is a little slice of cloudforest paradise -- good for outdoor activities, birdwatching, chocolate farm tours, or fans of orchids and butterflies. Just two hours west of Quito. Lovely climate, no humidity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2019 1:22 AM

Ecuador also finally kicked Julian Assange's ass out of the embassy this year -- another reason to like them.😂

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2019 1:35 AM

What great news. The Gays are scoring huge wins all over Latin America. Chile and Panama are probably next.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2019 1:50 AM

R24, I hope so!

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2019 2:29 AM

R24 You forgot about Costa Rica. They are due to legalize gay marriage next year.

by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2019 8:29 AM

R24, Chile is overdue. Mexico is almost there I think -- it's a state-by-state thing, not dissimilar to how it was in the US before SCOTUS' ruling.

by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2019 3:29 PM

Yum R8, what is his name

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2019 5:02 PM

r28 There's a whole article about him at r15.

by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2019 5:07 PM

Great news.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2019 6:16 AM

The fifth in South America to allow gay couples to wed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2019 5:55 PM

The rulings really seem to be picking up: great news!

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2019 10:13 PM

The Catholic church, Mormons, and evangelicals have been very strategic and poured millions of dollars into Mexico and Chile. I still don't know how Colombia sneaked out on them. lol Thus far gays have won every court battle in Mexico and gay marriage is starting to happen in municipalities where the governors are putting up a fight. Religious groups are only delaying what is clearly an issue they have lost.

The Catholic church did score a win in Chile over abortion, which is the other great battle looming in Latin America, but even then it feels like religious groups are on borrowed time. It's a generational thing, as Latin Gen Z and Millennials start becoming larger voting blocks in Latin American elections, gay marriage will keep scoring wins and abortion laws will start falling down.

Ecuador shows the momentum is clearly with gay rights. May I also say that HRC have practically abandoned Lat. American gay advocacy groups? They only came down to Colombia after gay marriage became legal and only to take photos and practically take some symbolic credit for it. Ughh, they are awful.

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2019 11:36 PM

[quote] May I also say that HRC have practically abandoned Lat. American gay advocacy groups?

Hillary's not running so get over it.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2019 12:22 PM

Woo hoo!

Enhorabuena, hermanas ecuatorianas!

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2019 12:51 PM

[Quote]I studied abroad there 15 years ago

Which broad was she?

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2019 1:02 PM

R33, great post. Evangelicals and Pentecostals, IMO, pose the greatest threat. They're very aggressive in proselytizing and trying to recruit in the poorest regions of Latin America (like Bolivia, Peru, parts of Central America) and they're good at it too -- providing food pantries, preaching about 'saving souls.'

So it's great to see that people and governments are rejecting their anti-gay message, especially in a more conservative country like Ecuador.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2019 4:42 PM

[quote]May I also say that HRC have practically abandoned Lat. American gay advocacy groups?

Why wouldn't they? They just scored a pretty much definitive victory with that 2018 Inter-American Court of Human Rights ruling.

[quote]On 8 January 2018, the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACHR) ruled that the American Convention on Human Rights mandates and requires the recognition of same-sex marriage. The ruling was fully binding on Costa Rica and set binding precedent in other Latin American and Caribbean countries, including Ecuador. The Ecuador Constitutional Court held that the IACHR January 2018 ruling is fully binding on Ecuador and takes precedence over Ecuadorian domestic law.

That's a huge judicial victory that not even those of us here in Europe living under the ECHR jurisdiction have been able to secure just yet. So it would make more sense for the HRC to help us rather than the gays in Latin America.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2019 4:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!