Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dirty John

I'm way late to this podcast but damn that woman was too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 34May 13, 2020 4:05 AM

I couldn't stand her and the annoying daughters.

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2019 11:44 PM

I liked it because it was a well told story, and I’ve known dirty Johns too. But the SoCal accents were so distracting and horrible. Anyone from there should get voice lessons.

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2019 1:03 AM

Even the grandmother had that sing song SoCal accent. Oy!

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2019 12:25 PM

Anyone watching the Netflix series? I'm in the middle of it and all I can say is "wow, that woman is fucking stupid!". For a successful business woman with four ex-husbands she comes off as desperate to meet someone and her vapid "designer bags in a safe" bitchy daughter is appalling.

Actually, I find all of them horrible except for his poor ex-wife. What happened to Debra's babydaddy(ies)?

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2019 11:12 AM

Very stupid woman. Some people can be so successful in some areas and complete failures in others. It’s very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2019 1:50 PM

The other thing that revealed her stupidity as her keeping 80-90K in cash in her house for "emergencies". A few thousand I could see but that much is just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2020 3:20 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2020 3:41 PM

The side story of her mother and murdered sister is interesting. I think that had a lot to do with her relationships with men. Still laughing at Jean Smart in a Sophia Petrillo wig.

by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2020 5:55 PM

Her daughters are horrible.

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2020 6:28 PM

How many women did he fool? Some women can not imagine a bad guy, ever. Yes, they are naive and foolish.

by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2020 6:35 PM

I thought this thread was about something else entirely.

by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2020 6:49 PM

Like a Dirty Sanchez R11?

Some of my female acquaintances tell me that the first clue they get for a bullshitter is when some guy claims they were in combat in Iraq or they are a first responder. Yes, it could be true but a lot of these grifter types always claim they are war veterans.

by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2020 7:15 PM

Glad this was bumped because I meant to listen but never got around to it.

Listening to the first episode now. Y'all weren't kidding? About? The voices? Are the daughters? Special?

So far it all seems pretty straightforward but I'm guessing there are twists and turns ahead since there are six episodes.

BTW I recently listened to The Clearing and found it fascinating. It's basically about a woman coming to terms with her father being a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2020 7:28 PM

I watched the Netflix show and then watched the documentary and that youngest daughter is definitely off. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe developmentally challenged? She talks like a child and seems very simpleminded.

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2020 12:29 AM

Whew. I started only half-listening because Debra was annoying me. There weren't warning signs, there were warning billboards! But glad I stuck with it because that payoff was very satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2020 3:06 AM

I'm curious what happened to all her other four husbands. They are not mentioned at all and the father of her kids isn't mentioned at all.

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2020 3:34 AM

Debra Newell's kids were seemingly conceived by immaculate conception as nothing is mentioned online about the father(s).

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2020 3:40 AM

I always said it was important to be prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse.

That scene was badly directed in the TV show.

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2020 4:30 AM

Excuse me, this was an F/X series, not Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2020 4:47 AM

I think it was originally on Bravo of all places, r19

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2020 4:56 AM

[quote]I'm curious what happened to all her other four husbands.

There will be multiple seasons revealing she only married grifters.

by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2020 10:03 AM

I found it hilarious that big bad self proclaimed “gangster “ John was ultimately defeated by a 5’2” dopey young woman who learned all her fighting moves from The Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 22January 9, 2020 7:09 PM

I would like to thank Dirty Eric for wearing those scrubs.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2020 7:51 PM

These women were dick-matized!

Never underestimate the power of Captain D! It’ll make you do things you don’t want to do.

by Anonymousreply 24January 9, 2020 7:58 PM

I’m downloading it now and am listening to the first episode.

You’d think when John turned up to their first date in shorts and a polo shirt and Debra had to ask him to leave when he threw himself on her bed, that would be a warning sign, but noooooo.

by Anonymousreply 25January 9, 2020 8:23 PM

Never underestimate the desperation of women over 50 for male companionship.

The straight men who get the most sex, from the most varied partners are over 70. They have their choice of women over 50. Debra was overwhelmed by how DirtyJohn's image. He was quite a catch for her.

by Anonymousreply 26January 9, 2020 8:28 PM

^^^Depressing but true. Those over fifty women are sitting ducks.

by Anonymousreply 27January 9, 2020 8:32 PM

Turning up to dates in SCRUBS, I’m rolling here

by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2020 8:34 PM

I too was appalled by the SoCal accents...plus this woman was just fucking stupid. I almost felt like she deserved it she was so dumb but she was obviously desperate for male companionship. They should cast her on RHOC.

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2020 8:45 PM

The cousin at Thanksgiving with with hilarious accent when John tells her he wants a conversation in an alleyway:

“You’re the devil!”

by Anonymousreply 30January 9, 2020 9:10 PM

And the therapist: set boundaries with you kids! Hang up on them when they insult John! Don’t invite them over! Tell them they’re not welcome!

Stay put with the psycho and isolate yourself!

by Anonymousreply 31January 9, 2020 9:15 PM

She’s so codependent. It’s sad, really.

by Anonymousreply 32January 9, 2020 11:29 PM

I think Debra Newell was clearly damaged.

And I think her mother had a lot to do with it.

Her mother was, on the surface, really "nice" and "Christian" [RED FLAG!], but she never sided with her daughters over men. She taught her daughters to do ANYTHING to get -- and keep -- a man. And she was emotionally distant, except to her imaginary friend Jesus. I think she was probably a nightmare.

So it was not so surprising that the daughters were cunts, as they were raised by such a damaged person.

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2020 1:24 AM

Bump, I binge-watched this yesterday. Thought it was really good. I had listened to the podcast, too.

I'm from SoCal, and thought Connie Britton totally nailed a certain type of SoCal woman.

by Anonymousreply 34May 13, 2020 4:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!