Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman Were Murdered 25 Years Ago Today

Twenty-five years ago today, two brutal murders exploded into America’s consciousness.

On June 12, 1994, O.J. Simpson’s ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, 35, and her friend Ron Goldman, 25, a part-time model and waiter, were found stabbed to death in the courtyard of her Brentwood condominium.

The double-murder spawned non-stop news coverage, a slew of books, an Emmy Award-winning miniseries, an Academy Award-winning documentary and a change in the way America viewed the legal system and itself.

Lost in the noise and chaos was the most fundamental element: that two people, one a daughter, sister, and mother of two, and the other a son and brother, were viciously slaughtered.

“Two innocent people were murdered and no one cared,” Marcia Clark, the lead prosecutor O.J. Simpson’s trial, told PEOPLE in 2016. “Everybody forgot.”

Though he was acquitted of the double-murders in October 1995, Simpson was deemed liable for the deaths in Feb. 1997 in a civil case brought by the two victims’ families.

In 2008, Simpson was convicted for his role in the armed robbery and kidnapping of two sports memorabilia dealers in Las Vegas. He was released from prison in 2017 after serving 9 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236June 20, 2019 11:15 PM

Their white privilege and 400 years of oppression got them killed.

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2019 4:33 PM

I'm still tracking down the real killers!

by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2019 4:34 PM

I'm sorry, but I want to do a "Lets be the morning Nicole & Ron were butchered thread."

by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2019 4:35 PM

JFC, do I have to write ANOTHER book to tell you what happened???

by Anonymousreply 4June 12, 2019 4:37 PM

The 405 has never been the same.

by Anonymousreply 5June 12, 2019 4:43 PM

Too bad mobile phones and cell towers did not exist in those good old days.

by Anonymousreply 6June 12, 2019 4:54 PM

I always wonder what Ron Goldman would look like today if he were alive. Would he still be fuckable?

by Anonymousreply 7June 12, 2019 4:54 PM

I hope you do, R3, I want to be Marcia’s perm.

by Anonymousreply 8June 12, 2019 4:56 PM

Not on DL, R7.

by Anonymousreply 9June 12, 2019 4:56 PM

I was always pissed that the New York Rangers finally won the Stanley Cup after a 54 year-drought, but who got the Sports Illustrated cover? OJ Fucking Simpson.

by Anonymousreply 10June 12, 2019 5:03 PM

Here's your fucking glasses, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2019 5:03 PM

It's crazy how this is still officially registered as an 'unsolved crime'.

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2019 5:18 PM

r12, Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2019 5:46 PM

Was OJ a suspect from the get go? I don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2019 5:53 PM

Ah, 1994. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had my whole life in front of me!

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2019 5:53 PM

R10

I remember the Knicks finally made it to the Finals and that stupidass police chase interrupted the game.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2019 6:04 PM

Forget OJ. What about us?

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2019 6:07 PM

This big black jock completely stole our shine for crime of the century.

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2019 6:11 PM

Ahhh. the days when Los Angeles was actually affordable.

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2019 6:16 PM

The worst judge (Ito) and the most gosh awful jury possible. The defense team ran the trial. The prosecution did a B job at best.

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2019 6:26 PM

Christopher Darden lost the case for the prosecution when he had OJ try on the gloves. There was no coming back from that epic blunder.

by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2019 6:56 PM

LOL @ R1!!!

by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2019 7:01 PM

are you kidding me? the prosecution did an awful job. So did the LAPD what it proved more than anything is throwing huge money at a defense team can get you cleared of anything, at least in LA.

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2019 8:29 PM

To this day there are people who still think OJ was innocent. The famous chase scene when tried to make a run on the expressway for it should've been enough to convince people he was guilty. If you're innocent why would try to flee the country?

by Anonymousreply 24June 12, 2019 8:37 PM

I remember the night of the Bronco chase. I was 12 and my parents decided to barbecue and had a few uncles and aunts came over to watch the NBA finals. My dad was pissed at first when NBC did split screen coverage of the game with the Bronco chase and then after awhile he and my uncles were sucked into the drama of the chase. My mom and aunts went into the one bedrooms to watch the ABC news coverage.

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2019 11:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 12, 2019 11:41 PM

Fleeing town in a Bronco. A sure sign of innocence.

by Anonymousreply 27June 12, 2019 11:45 PM

[quote]Too bad mobile phones and cell towers did not exist in those good old days.

I posted in another thread that the whole case would be so much different with modern technology. Jill Shively an that other guy who OJ almost ran into at that intersection would've been on Facebook and Twitter as soon as it happened, before anyone even knew two murders had had happened. i.e. "OJ Simpson almost crashed into me at the intersection of such and such!"

There are traffic light cameras all over LA now. OJ's Bronco would've been caught on multiple cameras going between his house and Nicole's condo.

Crazy how technology has changed everything. And then of course, you have the overwhelming DNA evidence. The general public is much more familiar with DNA today, in a way we weren't back then when it was a relatively new science.

OJ wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting away with it today.

by Anonymousreply 28June 12, 2019 11:53 PM

Can someone answer this, there's too much to remember in this case:

Ronnie & Nic weren't involved, right? he was just the one that drew the short straw to return her glasses?

by Anonymousreply 29June 12, 2019 11:57 PM

[quote]Ronnie & Nic weren't involved, right? he was just the one that drew the short straw to return her glasses?

Friends and family members of both have said for years that they weren't romantically involved. I read the book that Ron's sister wrote and he was dating a young woman named Andrea Scott at the time of the murders.. IIRC, prior to the book, the Goldmans didn't name Andrea as Ron's girlfriend in order to give her some privacy.

by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2019 12:18 AM

i posted an autopsy pic of what her neck looked like after almost being decapitated and someone screamed "at least put a WARNING on this!!!" it was very graphic, real and horrible.

by Anonymousreply 31June 13, 2019 12:27 AM

I remember some comedian made a joke that OJ tried to make Nicole into a pez dispenser. I can't remember who it was and I think it was during some TV standup special.

by Anonymousreply 32June 13, 2019 12:32 AM

The documentary June 17, 1994 was a great take on what was going in sports the day of the chase. They showed behind the scenes coverage of sports casters talking to producers about how to address the OJ stuff.

by Anonymousreply 33June 13, 2019 12:35 AM

Did Ron's sister Kimberly ever get on with her life? Did she go to college or have her own family?

by Anonymousreply 34June 13, 2019 12:38 AM

I remember the verdict was announced during my working hours. Someone had the radio on and some people in the office were upset and some people cheered at the verdict.

by Anonymousreply 35June 13, 2019 12:39 AM

R34 Kim has a son. She works for some non-profit that works with teens.

by Anonymousreply 36June 13, 2019 12:41 AM

I remember looking on in shock as blacks cheered the verdict.

by Anonymousreply 37June 13, 2019 12:42 AM

R28 I agree, he wouldn't have gotten away with it due to traffic cameras and plenty of people have residential security cameras.

by Anonymousreply 38June 13, 2019 12:49 AM

I love Nicole’s natural eyebrows. The women looked so much better unmade up back then. She was a beauty.

by Anonymousreply 39June 13, 2019 12:49 AM

It was shocking as we all learned Brentwood had condominiums, thought it was a mansions only neighborhood!

by Anonymousreply 40June 13, 2019 12:52 AM

R33 - that was an amazing documentary on "30 for 30".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 13, 2019 12:53 AM

The 30 for 30 doc is on EPSN on Demand. I'll probably watch it on Monday night for the 25th anniversary of the Bronco chase. It was one of the better ESPN docs and I loved the included footage of the people holdings signs on the freeway bridges and the crowds lined up near OJ's house.

If a chase like that happened today people would be posting pics or videos of the Bronco all over twitter, instagram, and Facebook

by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2019 1:18 AM

That man ping to high heavens. I know I shouldn't say that. RIP. I feel like I'm the only black man in America who feels sympathy for his brutal death.

by Anonymousreply 43June 13, 2019 2:24 AM

love you r40.

by Anonymousreply 44June 13, 2019 2:25 AM

It always bothered me how damn close together Ron’s eyes were.

by Anonymousreply 45June 13, 2019 2:29 AM

Nicole was beautiful.

she would have lip injections today.

by Anonymousreply 46June 13, 2019 2:46 AM

Nicole looked just like Megyn kelly

by Anonymousreply 47June 13, 2019 2:55 AM

I love you, r15

by Anonymousreply 48June 13, 2019 2:56 AM

Still talking about this?

by Anonymousreply 49June 13, 2019 2:58 AM

At least we can take solace in the fact that she is home with the Lord.

by Anonymousreply 50June 13, 2019 3:08 AM

The crime scene pics were (and still are) online. They’re horrible and gruesome. It was a vicious murder.

by Anonymousreply 51June 13, 2019 3:15 AM

I remember it clear as a bell.

What a different time it was. As r28's post brilliantly illustrates, this murder occurred before the dawn of the modern technological (and social media) boom.

Also, it's probably hard to imagine now, but back then many of us didn't want to believe O.J. could do this. He had a carefully contained image (again, social media hadn't made its way into culture and even then when domestic abuse allegations trickled out, they were brushed aside). He was popular because of his football past, the Hertz commercials and the third Naked Gun movie had only come out a few months before. He was very well liked before June 1994.

by Anonymousreply 52June 13, 2019 3:20 AM

[quote] That man ping to high heavens. I know I shouldn't say that. RIP. I feel like I'm the only black man in America who feels sympathy for his brutal death.

Really? Tell us what it feels like to think so highly of yourself and to think so little of 20+ million strangers. Do comments like this successfully score points with white supremacists?

by Anonymousreply 53June 13, 2019 3:20 AM

OJ lived just around the block from the Joan Crawford house. Maybe the neighborhood was cursed.

by Anonymousreply 54June 13, 2019 3:21 AM

Fuck you, OJ, for unleashing the Kardashians on us!

by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2019 3:23 AM

I was in a gay bar during the Bronco chase. I remember the owner asked for a show of hands if she could turn the channel from the music videos that were showing on the big screen TV.

by Anonymousreply 56June 13, 2019 3:23 AM

r28, Bitch please. Black hollywood unites. We would have ensured his acquittal.

by Anonymousreply 57June 13, 2019 4:12 AM

r16, no it was in the top side corner as we watched the chase on TV. In NY that was. Was it this long since they were in the finals?

by Anonymousreply 58June 13, 2019 4:19 AM

When the verdict was read it appeared that most blacks were jubilant and most whites shocked.

It's been stated that blacks were jubilant because they wanted to see if a famous rich black defendant could beat the system as they felt that many rich whites had.

Additionally if the above it true I think that shows the racism of blacks. Had Nicole been black then black people, black women in particular could have related to her and looked at the case much differently. As far as they were apparently concerned that white bitch got what she deserved and the most important thing is to get one of our own off !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 13, 2019 4:21 AM

r37, it was only a few years after Rodney King and riots so it was victory over the police against the black man.

by Anonymousreply 60June 13, 2019 4:23 AM

TV recording of a Chicago station interrupting the NBA finals to show the chase for split screen for awhile.

I remember seeing some video on youtube years ago that show clips of coverage from the different networks. Peter Jennings and I think Barbara were covering ABC and Dan Rather with CBS. I can't find that video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 13, 2019 4:29 AM

Police messed it up, being careless with evidence, there was a lot of opportunity for tampering the evidence. The Bronco was left one night unattended in the parking lot of the police court. Then there was Mark Fuhrman, a racist cop, the gloves didn't fit and black jurors who knew very well that the police twists evidence to book black people.

Voila, O J walks free.

by Anonymousreply 62June 13, 2019 5:32 AM

June 17, 1994. I was on the southbound 405 freeway, driving home to Torrance from my job in Culver City. Both sides of the 405 are always busy, but on that Friday evening the northbound side looked eerily empty - until I passed a slow-moving triangle of police vehicles and the white Bronco. I recall glancing at the driver, OJ's friend Al Cowlings.

by Anonymousreply 63June 13, 2019 6:45 AM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 64June 13, 2019 7:12 AM

I felt so bad for the Brown and Goldman families. Imagine how it must have felt that OJ got away with murdering your beloved family member, and black people all over America were celebrating. That must have made it even more painful.

by Anonymousreply 65June 13, 2019 8:09 AM

Just to add that the Prince songs the "Most Beautiful Girl In the World" and "Diamonds and Pearls" were on constant rotation on my portable CD player then. I remember going to Coco's in Culver City and there was a mix of blacks and white people there. I looked at some of the customers and having the Bronco chase fresh in the back of my mind. I had no idea that black people had such a different perspective on the event. Looking back, I had no clue any of the past days' events would go down in history as a 'where-were-you-when' moment. Still, I remember it all as if it were yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 66June 13, 2019 8:37 AM

I was in 11th grade health class when the verdict was announced. Holla!

by Anonymousreply 67June 13, 2019 8:44 AM

Maybe blacks were celebrating because of the constant injustice they were facing from whites and they finally got their only known karma. Ever think about that?

by Anonymousreply 68June 13, 2019 12:44 PM

R10 Rockets fan and I agree.

by Anonymousreply 69June 13, 2019 12:47 PM

R65 Seeing Ron Goldman’s sister after the verdict was wrenching but I hope they’ve come to understand that the celebrations weren’t personal.

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2019 12:50 PM

And ultimately responsible for the Kardashians’ fame which may be even more horrific crime against humanity

by Anonymousreply 71June 13, 2019 1:29 PM

OJ was acquitted because he had the stupidest jury in the history of trials. Simpson could have issued 10 confessions, and they still would have let him off.

by Anonymousreply 72June 13, 2019 8:49 PM

[QUOTE]Maybe blacks were celebrating because of the constant injustice they were facing from whites and they finally got their only known karma. Ever think about that?

The 'karma' being what ? That Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman both of whom were white were slaughtered ?

Again, I ask, had Nicole been black would blacks have been celebrating ?

by Anonymousreply 73June 13, 2019 11:39 PM

Amen R71

by Anonymousreply 74June 13, 2019 11:55 PM

I remember one of those jurors Brenda Moran who made the rounds on tv. She was so fucking stupid. She wrote a book (yeah right) and couldn’t remember passages when asked about what she wrote. The world will never get over the injustice of that verdict.

by Anonymousreply 75June 14, 2019 12:34 AM

R75

Was she that dumb bunny who went on Night Line with Ted Koppel and when asked about the trial her first words were: "First of all, O.J. was impeccably dressed ..................... "

by Anonymousreply 76June 14, 2019 12:52 AM

[quote] Again, I ask, had Nicole been black would blacks have been celebrating ?

First of all, not all blacks celebrated the verdict. We are not a monolith. I know plenty of people who viewed the case for exactly what it was - the all too common occurrence of a domestic abuser who eventually murders his partner.

If Nicole had been black, the case wouldn't have received a 1/10th, if that, of the media's (or public's) interest.

by Anonymousreply 77June 14, 2019 1:00 AM

[QUOTE]If Nicole had been black, the case wouldn't have received a 1/10th, if that, of the media's (or public's) interest.

Wow, just wow ! You really believe that ? Since Nicole was white people were interested and had she been black the case would've had held around 1/10 the attention ?

Of course blacks aren't monolithic but you did not see scores of whites celebrating over the fact that someone got away with murder and I assure you that whites would not have been celebrating had Nicole been black. You want to take a good look at racism in 2019, then use a mirror.

by Anonymousreply 78June 14, 2019 1:07 AM

R78 I wonder why the woman who was the accomplice of the murder of the young black kid in the 50's still free after she admitted not long ago? It was an all white jury and it was common for racist injustices to occur. I mean it still freaken happens today and so many whiny whites here complaining for one verdict while we dealt and still deal with this bs. The nerve.

by Anonymousreply 79June 14, 2019 1:27 AM

R79

That bitch, the one who got Emmet Till murdered should be brought up on charges. She's still alive and there's no statute of limitations on murder. It was her lies to her hot headed husband that got that 14 yr old boy killed.

by Anonymousreply 80June 14, 2019 1:32 AM

R80 she is an old white woman. She will be safe but i am sure if it was the opposite, the FBI would go all over the world to find the person if she was a black woman and the kid was white. That is just the unfortunate truth in this country.

by Anonymousreply 81June 14, 2019 2:06 AM

I still remember that phony driving around in his Bronco, threatening to commit suicide. As if......

Besides, I don't think there was a gun on the market that could blow away his gargantuan ego to smithereens.

by Anonymousreply 82June 14, 2019 2:14 AM

This was so long ago. I’m not sure if I feel sad for the Goldman family that they just can’t let this go. I would’ve thought they would stop with the civil suit. I guess some people never heal.

by Anonymousreply 83June 14, 2019 2:29 AM

Their son was brutally murdered and his murder is walking around free. And you think they should just let it go?

by Anonymousreply 84June 14, 2019 2:42 AM

^murderer is walking around free

by Anonymousreply 85June 14, 2019 2:42 AM

The other thing it must drive the Goldmans crazy how Simpson behaved afterwards. It was so disgusting.

Even when he went to jail for that crazy Vegas matter, it still probably brought no justice to them.

by Anonymousreply 86June 14, 2019 2:43 AM

Exactly, R86. If it weren't for his own arrogance and sense of entitlement (no doubt due to his getting away with murder the first time), he would have never served a day in jail. He would have spent the past 25 years playing golf, making appearances at events, maybe even making a movie or two. But R83 faults the Goldmans for not letting it go.

by Anonymousreply 87June 14, 2019 2:49 AM

R70 = Jewsplaining

by Anonymousreply 88June 14, 2019 2:54 AM

R14, when Nicole’s death was first mentioned on the news, my partner turned to me and said, “OJ killed his wife.” People knew that he beat Nicole.

by Anonymousreply 89June 14, 2019 3:07 AM

Lance Ito was a fucking idiot judge.

by Anonymousreply 90June 14, 2019 4:04 AM

Oprah's audience watches the verdict.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 14, 2019 4:09 AM

R89 that's interesting to me. I was a child during the trial but I had always been under the impression as an adult reading about the case that the abuse was kept mostly hidden. Some of the current media coverage seemed to imply that only the couples friends knew, not the general public . But I guess it wasn't quite the secret I had thought.

by Anonymousreply 92June 14, 2019 4:22 AM

[quote]I remember the verdict was announced during my working hours. Someone had the radio on and some people in the office were upset and some people cheered at the verdict.

Let me guess, the idiots cheering were black?

by Anonymousreply 93June 14, 2019 4:23 AM

Supposedly Nicole had a terrible reputation as well. Didn't she slap a housekeeper in the face or something?

by Anonymousreply 94June 14, 2019 4:34 AM

I remember they announced the verdict over the intercom at my elementary school.

by Anonymousreply 95June 14, 2019 4:45 AM

R94

I don't think that the Browns are any great shakes but she certainly didn't deserve murder.

by Anonymousreply 96June 14, 2019 4:56 AM

Spring of 1994 was eventful. Nixon died in April, Jackie died in May and OJ committed double murder in June.

by Anonymousreply 97June 14, 2019 5:06 AM

[quote] Wow, just wow ! You really believe that ? Since Nicole was white people were interested and had she been black the case would've had held around 1/10 the attention ? Of course blacks aren't monolithic but you did not see scores of whites celebrating over the fact that someone got away with murder and I assure you that whites would not have been celebrating had Nicole been black. You want to take a good look at racism in 2019, then use a mirror.

Yes, I damn sure believe it. And anyone who believes otherwise is either incredibly naive or being purposefully obtuse. Do you seriously think white Americans would've been as vested in the case had OJ killed Marguerite? The entire scenario would've played out similar to Robert Blake's - celebrity kills wife and is acquitted. Major news story on Tuesday and bumped from the headlines within a few days. No, whites wouldn't have been celebrating because they would've been pretty fucking indifferent. White people don't care about black on black crime and neither does the media. Name ONE black woman who's abduction, rape or murder resulted in a high profile case. You can't do it. There are NO black equivalents to Natalie Holloway, Chandry Levy, Laci Peterson, Katrina Vetrano or Shannon Watts. Oh and about the mirror thing - being aware and willing to call out racism doesn't make you racist.

by Anonymousreply 98June 14, 2019 5:08 AM

There are conspiracy theorists that think Ron was a dealer. And the local drug mob killed him. But we all know that uppity negro did it.

by Anonymousreply 99June 14, 2019 5:19 AM

You still can’t drive a white Ford Bronco without getting side eye.

by Anonymousreply 100June 14, 2019 5:27 AM

R93 and the only people that were celebrating the death of a trayvon martin were white idiot bitches like you. Stop crying you bitch

by Anonymousreply 101June 14, 2019 7:04 AM

Edit: erase a before trayvon

by Anonymousreply 102June 14, 2019 7:08 AM

Lily white OJ with his white Bronco, white clothes, white wife, white girlfriends.

by Anonymousreply 103June 14, 2019 7:21 AM

R98, it absolutely would’ve garnered the same attention. OJ was a celebrity in the black AND white community. Up until then, in the TV age, there hadn’t been a movie “star” or major celebrity accused of murder, and an especially brutal one at that.

Add in the ability for cameras to watch the events unfold in court—live, no less—and of course it was huge!

by Anonymousreply 104June 14, 2019 8:21 AM

Of course the Republican OJ was going to get away with murdering two people. He was a sociopath, like most Republicans, so murdering two people was not a big deal.

It was a perfect storm of AA wanting justice for the racism they've endured, white esp rich getting away with crimes, the police as corrupt asf and planting evidence and jailing mainly the poor, and a terrible investigation that really did not give Marcia a chance.

That asshole butchered them but at least karma caught up to him in a way.

by Anonymousreply 105June 14, 2019 8:48 AM

I always presumed Ron was gay, he was hot enough to be

by Anonymousreply 106June 14, 2019 9:25 AM

OMFG, R11. You're my kind of person.

by Anonymousreply 107June 14, 2019 10:12 AM

I'll never forget the look on Dominick Dunne's face when the verdict was read.

by Anonymousreply 108June 14, 2019 10:17 AM

I'll never forget the look on Kardashian’s face when the verdict was read. That was telling.

by Anonymousreply 109June 14, 2019 1:24 PM

Nicole's 911 calls would've been all over TMZ today. OJ being a violent wife beater would've been common knowledge. The public's opinion of OJ in today's world would be totally different than it was back then.

by Anonymousreply 110June 14, 2019 2:05 PM

R101

Gee, I sure don't recall seeing white people cheering the death or Trayvon Martin. Did I miss it on tv or something ?

by Anonymousreply 111June 15, 2019 5:20 PM

R98

The public seems more interested when things happen to good looking people of some means vs the poor and unattractive. What ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT THAT ? I mean, it's just so unjust.

by Anonymousreply 112June 15, 2019 5:23 PM

[quote]The public seems more interested when things happen to good looking people of some means vs the poor and unattractive.

Well then I sure as hell have nothing to worry about when I whack someone one day. The public sure won’t care about my ass.

by Anonymousreply 113June 15, 2019 6:45 PM

I know at least two people who were murdered by their estranged spouses, and the murdering spouses/exes were never brought to justice; and no one gave a flying fuck about them.

People only cared about those two because of the OJ connection. Otherwise nobody would ever have heard of either of them.

I never cared about OJ, so I never cared about those two, either, any more (or less) than I would care about any other murder victims (or murderers) I didn't know.

Whether white people want to believe it or not, Ron and Nicole got more justice than thousands of murder victims ever receive.

by Anonymousreply 114June 15, 2019 7:05 PM

r114 OJ was a very famous celebrity at the time. That's why the case was so huge.

by Anonymousreply 115June 15, 2019 7:32 PM

And now the bastard's on twitter! Wtf

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 15, 2019 7:48 PM

R116 That fucking prick

by Anonymousreply 117June 15, 2019 9:37 PM

Duh, R115, hence my CLEAR statement

[quote][bold]People only cared about those two because of the OJ connection.[/bold] Otherwise nobody would ever have heard of either of them.

JFC.

by Anonymousreply 118June 15, 2019 10:23 PM

OJ: Made in America is one of the greatest films I've ever seen.

This may be a Mary! comment but it's one of those films that would go into a time capsule because it is so resonant.

by Anonymousreply 119June 16, 2019 1:25 AM

Made In America was riveting.

by Anonymousreply 120June 16, 2019 2:17 AM

[quote]People only cared about those two because of the OJ connection. Otherwise nobody would ever have heard of either of them.

Well, no shit Sherlock. When bad shit happens with famous people, of course it gets more attention.

by Anonymousreply 121June 16, 2019 2:18 AM

The crime scene photos are absolutely disturbing. He must have literally slaughtered them.

by Anonymousreply 122June 16, 2019 3:57 AM

This wasn't the first case where identity politics and the brown victim card was played to a wide audience. That case would be the Richard Herrin Yale murderer case where the Catholics mobilized to get a Mexican American guy's charged reduced to manslaughter and less after he planned then beat his WASP girlfriend's brains out with a hamner. The defense made her out to be a part while a nun, a priest and a brother said the rosary in court in front of the jury, and the whole Catholic community of New Haven worked to get him off.

by Anonymousreply 123June 16, 2019 7:30 AM

Not part -- tart

by Anonymousreply 124June 16, 2019 7:32 AM

R114 OJ was a huge celebrity in the late 60s-early 80s. By '94 he was coasting on the fumes of the public's memory of his football feats and business connections.

People knew who he was; but he was by no means a red hot celebrity, constantly in the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 125June 16, 2019 10:00 AM

R125, three months before the murders he played his [bold]recurring[/bold] role in a movie. What are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 126June 16, 2019 11:59 AM

I strongly urge you all to watch the OJ documentary on Demand at ESPN. "OJ: Made in America" by Ezra Edelman was exceptional. One thing I was not aware of was Johnnie Cochran's history and his reputation, and the history & reputation of the LAPD in 1990's, when it came to racial problems. We can debate forever, but when you put things in context, that verdict was not unexpected at all. BTW, Ezra is the son of Marian Wright Edelman. The conclusion in the documentary, was that yes, he was guilty, and yes he walked. His acquittal was all about racism, and the irony is that OJ has never seen himself as part of the Black community. He had a degree of self loathing in that regard that was breathtakingly obvious.

by Anonymousreply 127June 16, 2019 11:59 AM

R126, I think what R125 is referring to might be that by the 90's most people knew him as a celebrity and weren't as aware of his status as a professional athlete. Even today, as obsessed as I was over the murders, my most vivid memories of him are O.J. running through the airport in Hertz commercials, and his comic turn in the Naked Gun movies. I was too young to remember anything about his football career, and being raised by a single mother we never watched him do his thing as a sports commentator.

by Anonymousreply 128June 16, 2019 12:06 PM

The real OJ and his lifestyle, was completely at odds with the squeaky clean image he tried to project.

by Anonymousreply 129June 16, 2019 12:07 PM

R128, he said he was “coasting on fumes” from his football career, and that people didn’t really know him. You yourself didn’t know his football career, nor did I, but I knew who he was.

So clearly he was “well known” at the time of the murders.

by Anonymousreply 130June 16, 2019 12:19 PM

I agree. Just not for football.

by Anonymousreply 131June 16, 2019 12:44 PM

[quote]by the 90's most people knew him as a celebrity and weren't as aware of his status as a professional athlete

Oh gosh, no, everyone knew he was a football player turned actor. There may have been a handful of people who thought he was just Nordberg from the NAKED GUN movies, but a vast majority of people, even kids in the 1990s, knew he had been a major football star.

When Goldman and Brown were murdered, news shows were using football clips constantly, often clips with Brown attending a game while watching Simpson play.

by Anonymousreply 132June 16, 2019 12:50 PM

There had been news stories about it, R89. He had plead no contest to hitting her and threatening to kill her in 1989.

The news made sure to mention that in 1994, so even if people had forgotten that it happened, they were reminded by articles like this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 16, 2019 12:58 PM

* pleaded

by Anonymousreply 134June 16, 2019 12:58 PM

Who is this OJ you eldergays speak of?

by Anonymousreply 135June 16, 2019 2:24 PM

R135 go back to the Kardashian threads you little shit and let the grown ups discuss on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 136June 16, 2019 2:29 PM

Thanks for the article, R133. Man, that's the part that gets me every time. The kids were in the house. They were upstairs sleeping. When I first heard about it I thought, well he was in Chicago, because no way he'd do that with his kids there. But he did. And as the details unfolded, I had no doubt it was him, just because of how it went down. Clearly it was rage, and it was personal.

by Anonymousreply 137June 16, 2019 2:31 PM

Now that OJ is out and living the life, I wonder if Kim and Kanye will invite him over for dinner.....

by Anonymousreply 138June 16, 2019 2:32 PM

[quote]When I first heard about it I thought, well he was in Chicago

Me too. I remember the news breaking and they were reporting he was flying back from Chicago. They even mistakenly reported he was in Chicago at the time of the murders.

by Anonymousreply 139June 16, 2019 4:05 PM

The Kardashians do not fuck with OJ. That sociopath nearly ruined their family. Those girls were old enough to realize the torment he put their mom through and ultimately that their "uncle" murdered their "aunt". Nobody that was friends with OJ during that time in LA is his friend today. That man is fkin cruel, to viciously slaughter Nicole like that. if you watch People v. OJ some of that stuff isn't made up. Rob Kardashian really couldn't wait to get OJ out of his life, and was a bit shock he was actually found not guilty.

by Anonymousreply 140June 16, 2019 4:18 PM

Dominick Dunne's "Another City, Not My Own" memoir of covering the OJ case is the best book I've read on it. Not because it has the most facts or revelations regarding the case itself, but because it's a more personal account. The LA dinner party gossip quotes/snippets are priceless. He went out to dinner every night he was in town.

At the time, I don't know if it was in Dunne's book or another one, but I read the comment "The LAPD deserved that verdict but OJ didn't" and that about sums it up.

by Anonymousreply 141June 16, 2019 6:24 PM

I want Twitter to READ OJ TO FILTH AND DRAG HIM TO DEATH until he slinks off back under his rock.

He has getting even to do? Oh really? I'm waiting for Fred Goldman's terminal cancer diagnosis (or facsimile) so he can finally go kill OJ and put an end to it.

by Anonymousreply 142June 16, 2019 6:28 PM

They mention in the ESPN documentary that he was punished socially after the trial. Old (white) friends gave him the cold shoulder, no more invitations to parties, country clubs, etc. His life got trashy after he was found not guilty.

by Anonymousreply 143June 16, 2019 6:37 PM

OJ only had a few black friends at the time of murders. Prosecutors and cops who went to his house after the murders said that most pictures in the house showed OJ with white friends. Those pictures were removed from the house when the jury visited the house during the trial. I also recall some other black athlete years later said that it was known OJ did very little for black communities and causes.

by Anonymousreply 144June 16, 2019 7:04 PM

[quote]I remember they announced the verdict over the intercom at my elementary school.

I was in my middle school history class and we listened to the verdict on the radio. A few minutes later one of secretaries announced the verdict over the intercom.

by Anonymousreply 145June 16, 2019 7:11 PM

I was 10 and in the fourth grade and we listened to the verdict live on the radio, too.

by Anonymousreply 146June 16, 2019 7:32 PM

Most people care about other human beings’ suffering and deaths. Period. If you pick and choose to have compassion based upon if someone is attractive, famous, color, etc. that is a shame, and your malfunction.

by Anonymousreply 147June 16, 2019 7:33 PM

R127 is right about OJ Made in America. It’s a stunning documentary and one of the best I have seen.

by Anonymousreply 148June 16, 2019 7:48 PM

So Kris K was close friend to the couple. Why would her husband represent OJ for killing Nicole? esp with history of violence known?

by Anonymousreply 149June 16, 2019 8:02 PM

I see where the cheering black people were coming from. They were sick of white people going free for murdering black people. They were sick of the police framing black people. Finally, their successful hero black man goes free, even if he did fucking do it.

by Anonymousreply 150June 16, 2019 8:24 PM

R149 It's been mentioned in articles and interviews that Kris and Robert feuded after the murders and during the trial. IIRC, Robert's law license had lapsed years before and rumors were that he renewed it because he tampered with evidence and being a part of OJ's defense team would have kept him off the witness stand.

by Anonymousreply 151June 16, 2019 8:25 PM

R149, I obviously can’t speak for Robert, but I think the movie was a fairly accurate depiction in that, initially, most thought OJ was innocent. I’m sure Rob did, too. Rob K. was never a criminal lawyer and his law license had expired, i.e., he wasn’t a practicing attorney. He reactivated his law license which gave him not only an inside look, but attorney-client privilege for anything OJ may have said to him as well as the location of the missing Louis Vuitton bag.

Once more and more evidence was revealed, he knew he did it. He certainly couldn’t just leave the defense team at that point, it would be HUGE news that one of his lawyers quit and would’ve been speculated on no end.

by Anonymousreply 152June 16, 2019 8:28 PM

OJ's fame had faded by the 1990s, but he made a HUGE comeback with the Slow White Bronco chase! Yes, there had been quite a lot of interest in the case when he was accused, but when he staged a car chase the national network stopped what they were doing and broadcast the whole thing live, everyone in the US stopped what they were doing, and suddenly OJ was the most famous man in the country. Even more famous than he'd been as a football player, and he'd been pretty damn famous then.

So yes, the initial level of interest in the case had more to do with celebrity than the racial angle, although the racial issues were what made the trial such great drama.

by Anonymousreply 153June 16, 2019 8:48 PM

[quote]OJ's fame had faded by the 1990s,

Again, he had a movie released three months before the murder. His fame had not faded.

by Anonymousreply 154June 16, 2019 9:15 PM

OJ also shot a TV pilot weeks before the murders.

by Anonymousreply 155June 16, 2019 9:18 PM

That’s right, r155. “Frogmen.”

It was speculated that’s where he got some experience with knives since he received some training on them from Navy Seals on set.

by Anonymousreply 156June 16, 2019 9:22 PM

I was a teenager at the time and my generation knew OJ from the Naked Gun movies. His sports career was before our time. He wasn't a big deal to us.

One of the problems with the jury was that they were almost all middle-aged so they remembered OJ from the height of his fame in the 70s, when he was a big deal. If the jury had been mostly younger, maybe things would've gone differently.

by Anonymousreply 157June 16, 2019 9:51 PM

Marcia Clark miscalculated that black female jurors would be sympathetic to a white domestic violence victim of a black perpetrator.

I always find it strange that black people still champion black celebrities who turn against their own community. I mean Michael Jackson did everything he could to look white. OJ married a white blond woman. Cosby slept and drugged mostly white or light skinned women.

by Anonymousreply 158June 16, 2019 10:17 PM

[quote]Name ONE black woman who's abduction, rape or murder resulted in a high profile case.

Tawana Brawley?

by Anonymousreply 159June 16, 2019 10:54 PM

JFC r158, all this discussion is in hindsight..While I don’t think things would have played out differently, a significant chunk of what we know about him *now* we didn’t know *then* — he turned against his own race, never tried to help his old community, wasn’t interested in racial equality, wife beater, cokehead SOB. Maybe blacks would have felt differently about the verdict with all this info, but I doubt it, and yes I lived through it. The OJ trial was literally America’s first alarm bell since the Civil Rights Movement that blacks weren’t *happy* with the status quo and that we might actually have a little problem called institutionalized racism.

It was ugly. The whole thing was ugly, blacks cheering after two people were slaughtered, but worse, white people with their wide-eyed doe-y horror that blacks weren’t happy with the fucked up crumbs tossed their way.

You treat groups of people like subhuman shit, you get cheers for a murderer. It isn’t rocket science.

Love,

by Anonymousreply 160June 16, 2019 10:56 PM

Wow you're a real fucking idiot r160. It was about two people being brutally slain. And many people - not just whites - were appalled at the reaction blacks had.

by Anonymousreply 161June 16, 2019 11:03 PM

I always loved OJ. Because of him, my girls are famous and living the dream. And none of you know how hard I pimped to get Robert on his defense team.

by Anonymousreply 162June 16, 2019 11:03 PM

R150, black people didn't fuck with OJ really since he dumped his first (black, beautiful) wife and took up living 100% full time as a deeply tanned white man.

The ONLY reason so many cheered the verdict was our respect for Cochran; and the idea that finally white people would know what it was like to have the desire for justice turn to ashes in the mouth. Hell, by the 90s more black people probably remembered Robert "Beretta"/"Mickey Gubitosi" Blake more fondly than OJ.

by Anonymousreply 163June 16, 2019 11:06 PM

No, r161, you’re missing the point. From your perspective, and mine actually, it was simply a case about two murders. And a failure to win justice for the victims. I am white.

For most black Americans, it was NOT about the victims, it was about the system that had failed them FOREVAH. I’m not defending their reaction, but I sure as fuck am not so self-righteous (as are you) to be incapable of walking a mile in their shoes. Our justice system STILL fails black Americans, just pick a statistic sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 164June 16, 2019 11:12 PM

It was still about two people brutally slain r164. The joyful reaction to the verdict were appalling.

by Anonymousreply 165June 16, 2019 11:13 PM

Duh r165. Is anyone relishing the cheering?

by Anonymousreply 166June 16, 2019 11:15 PM

Lots of blacks sure did r166.

by Anonymousreply 167June 16, 2019 11:16 PM

OJ was a successful man with more than one girlfriend, he would have never killed Nicole. The slasher from Florida killed Nicole and had to kill Ron because he showed up. That whole time was just a racist circus.

by Anonymousreply 168June 16, 2019 11:23 PM

And what is your point r167? Seriously? Two different Americas, amazing that you can’t understand that.

Have you ever served in a third world country? That is a reality for most of urban black America. Be grateful you don’t have that kind of anger, think about what kind of life you would have led to cheer for this verdict? Would it be a good life? A life of fairness? Of hope? Of building a better future? Free from violence? Trusting those in authority? A childhood free of disease? Great teachers, new textbooks, pretty school buildings and desks?? No rats and trash blowing at your ankles? Would a truly educated person cheer for this verdict? Absolutely not.

Tell me, why do YOU think blacks cheered this verdict, and what does that say about them as human beings to you? Does it diminish their value as human beings to you?

For me, it makes me very very sad. It makes me sad for them, sad for our country, sad for Nicole and Ron, and sad for their families. It’s all sad, and it’s a statement that we have a loooooooooong way to go. There can no longer be *two* Americas.

by Anonymousreply 169June 16, 2019 11:26 PM

First detective to talk to OJ should have said: Mr Simpson, your wife has been murdered.

And OJ would have said: Oh my God....Nicole....

And the detective could have said: I didn't say which wife......

by Anonymousreply 170June 16, 2019 11:30 PM

Gawd, anyone who cheered because they thought white people were finally experiencing injustice is both an asshole, and totally fucking clueless about life outside their own circle.

Yes, the legal system fails white people all the time! Yes, murderers walk free or get minimal sentences, abusers walk free, corporations destroy people with impunity, the innocent go to jail, the white poor get harassed by the police, and the only people really favored by the justice system are the rich. Yes, white people get more justice from "the justice system" than black, but not a lot more.

To white people, the verdict looked like yet another rich man getting away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 171June 16, 2019 11:31 PM

I vaguely recall that the Detective did say that, and OJ went off about a murder — the Detective didn’t tell him how she died. My memory could be wrong.

R171, it is true that our justice system also fails the lower/middle class all the time. Again, lack of ability to understand what has happened to black Americans in the cities. Appalling actually.

by Anonymousreply 172June 16, 2019 11:34 PM

[quote]First detective to talk to OJ should have said: Mr Simpson, your wife has been murdered.

I know you’re making a joke, but Lange was the first detective to talk to him. He advised him Nicole had been ‘killed.’ He said it was very odd that OJ didn’t ask questions like any other person he’d made a death notification to. Most people ask, “How? When? What happened? Was it a car accident?” OJ said nothing.

by Anonymousreply 173June 16, 2019 11:36 PM

"Again, lack of ability to understand what has happened to black Americans in the cities. "

Oh bull. I understand what happens. But unlike you, I just don't think the conclusions that poor black Americans in the cities draw are correct.

by Anonymousreply 174June 16, 2019 11:38 PM

True, r173. Very telling that OJ never asked for any details, which is the first thing an innocent person would've done.

by Anonymousreply 175June 16, 2019 11:38 PM

It really was, r175. The significance hit home for me much more when a coworker of mine unexpectedly died.

When I was told, I said, “What?! What happened? How did he die?” And that was a coworker who wasn’t killed, and I wasn’t notified by a detective who would know.

by Anonymousreply 176June 16, 2019 11:44 PM

The Robert Blake/Bonnie Lee Blakely case was like the geriatric white trash version of the Brown/Simpson case.

by Anonymousreply 177June 16, 2019 11:51 PM

Educate me r174. What are the conclusions they draw that are incorrect? Setting aside the repulsive cheering.

by Anonymousreply 178June 16, 2019 11:51 PM

Lange said he was dumbfounded when OJ didn't ask any questions after being informed that Nicole was killed.

by Anonymousreply 179June 16, 2019 11:57 PM

"What are the conclusions they draw that are incorrect?"

That white people get justice from the "justice system" and black people don't? And that white people expect justice?

This is why I think the whole SJW idea that you should believe anyone who "speaks their truth" is bullshit. Most human beings have a very limited capacity to understand "their truth" or what's going on in their own lives. Listening to a black from the ghetto explain their ideas about the justice system isn't going to be any more reliable than listening to a white Deplorable explaining that The Man has kept him down his whole life, or a middle-class person explaining that everything wrong in their life is their mother's fault.

by Anonymousreply 180June 16, 2019 11:58 PM

The ESPN documentary is excellent, even if it largely ignores Nicole's perspective and prefers to examine everything through the prism of race while ignoring gender.

by Anonymousreply 181June 16, 2019 11:58 PM

Nicole's condo was so isolated, and OJ went over there to harass her all the time. She should've moved to a building that had 24-hour security, like one of the highrises in Westwood.

by Anonymousreply 182June 17, 2019 12:04 AM

R180 — I hear you, I truly do, but so you’re aware, I’m the opposite of an SJW. I’m an old grizzled thing who has seen quite a bit, from Uber wealth, to hopeless poverty. I don’t disagree with anything you just posted, but I also have not changed my mind. You are wrong to think that there aren’t two Americas. The American experience that you have is not the same as black America. End of. Talk to me when you get pulled over for being in the wrong neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 183June 17, 2019 12:06 AM

Do his kids with Nicole have any contact with him?

by Anonymousreply 184June 17, 2019 12:13 AM

r184, yes they do. And are actually quite loyal to him. I guess its a very crazy circumstance to be brought up in. Justin is very successful and not bad looking either.

by Anonymousreply 185June 17, 2019 12:38 AM

I'm telling you. Who ever said the LAPD deserved that verdict, OJ didn't. was right on. The verdict was less about OJ than it was about chasm that existed between the Black community and the LAPD. Please remember the context: In 1992, the cops who beat the crap out of Rodney King on video, were acquitted and Los Angeles rioted for 6 days. Huge riot. In the case of the murders of Nicole & Ron, the LAPD was sloppy and careless with evidence and the ME's technicians were also very sloppy. Don't even think about Chris Darden and his foolish, ridiculous stupid move of asking OJ, who had not been taking his arthritis medication for weeks, to try on the gloves. Gloves that had become stiff and shrunken due to saturation with moisture and blood .And of course Johnnie Cochran who had become a local hero for representing Black families who were victims of police violence.

As I understood it, Kris Jenner aligned herself with Nicole's side almost immediately. At first she claimed she never knew about the abuse. I guess a lot of their friends never knew how bad it was. The photos of Nicole all bruised and the 9/11 calls changed a lot of people's minds.

Robert Kardashian truly believed OJ at first. "He was to Chicago, he could never do such a thing. " Robert was fixated on the little kids asleep in the house. But Robert was also shaken by the brutality of the crime, and just went into denial mode.

Once OJ was charged, and it became obvious Robert might have to testify he reactivated his license so he could not be called, and became part of the Defense team. Shapiro and Bailey also felt Robert brought some stability because OJ trusted him and they were close.

But as more and more evidence was presented, blood evidence, DNA, hair follicles, etc. and it was obvious OJ did it, Robert was sickened. He was hoping OJ would be convicted and he would have discharged his duties as a friend. But when he was found not guilty, Robert put distance between them, he was disgusted by it. OJ was totally ostracized from the Hollywood/Brentwood community.

by Anonymousreply 186June 17, 2019 12:40 AM

r186, because no matter how narcissistic these people are they aren't sociopaths. These black maniac murdered one of their own. Shit was sad.

by Anonymousreply 187June 17, 2019 12:43 AM

OJ follows Justin’s business account on Twitter. I feel bad for Justin.

by Anonymousreply 188June 17, 2019 12:55 AM

The kids lives are a travesty, my understanding is that OJ prevented them from having any contact with Nicole’s family, no idea if that’s true, but either way, it’s a travesty.

by Anonymousreply 189June 17, 2019 1:33 AM

Apparently Nicole's kids do have contact with and are close to the Brown family.

By now they probably know that their father killed their mother.

by Anonymousreply 190June 17, 2019 1:44 AM

But they don’t believe it r190

by Anonymousreply 191June 17, 2019 1:58 AM

Still riveting after almost 25 years. The verdict reaction is basically split between blacks that cheer and whites who are disgusted. May OJ burn in hell for murdering the two of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192June 17, 2019 2:00 AM

[quote]But they don’t believe it [R190]

I feel for those kids, the turmoil they must have gone through. They must know that the Browns do believe their father killed their mother.

by Anonymousreply 193June 17, 2019 2:07 AM

R186, thank you, you did a much better job (than me) at providing context as to what the city felt like during the trial. No one here is defending the cheering!!! But as r186 described, the Rodney King beating had just occurred. R186, I think you should elaborate on the beating because you did so well.....remember all the drama tied just to that??? The cops stories....Rodney’s story....then the video leaked....then the trial....etc etc etc. That was a saga in and unto itself!!!! So the match had been struck and a fuse lit, one bomb had already gone off after those riots!! I forgot about just how tense it felt, PRE-OJ trial. You cannot imagine unless you lived through it.

I would compare it to living through Trump in the sense that, imagine ten years from now (or twenty) trying to explain to someone how obsessed we’ve been over Trump. No one will ever appreciate what it has felt like to live through Trump. No one will ever understand the anger toward LAPD either. They were the very definition of fucking PIGS.

by Anonymousreply 194June 17, 2019 2:37 AM

After 6 days of rioting in 1992, the city had not yet physically recovered in 1994 when the OJ stuff happened. The riots were still very much a part of LA. And I'm not exaggerating when I call Johnnie Cochran a local hero. He was making a name for himself, he was a star. He was the Go-To guy when ever a Black person had a problem with the criminal justice system in LA. One think I over looked. Mark Fuhrman. They really really mishandled that. I blame a lot of it on Fuhrman's arrogance. He had to know racism was an issue. Especially with Johnnie Cochran sitting there. And he deliberately withheld information that would taint his testimony. He invalidated his own testimony and whatever good work he may have done as a detective. He'd have been better off allowing one of the other detectives take the lead.

by Anonymousreply 195June 17, 2019 3:08 AM

[quote]Nicole's 911 calls would've been all over TMZ today. OJ being a violent wife beater would've been common knowledge. The public's opinion of OJ in today's world would be totally different than it was back then.

I agree, if he was beating a woman in today's world things wouldn't have been kept on the down low. I remember Entertainment Tonight or some similar show got a hold of one of Nicole's 911 calls and played it on the show after OJ's arrest.

by Anonymousreply 196June 17, 2019 3:49 AM

Yeah, it may have been out there but I think most people didn't know about O.J.'s abuse and asshole behaviour until after the murders. He was a sports hero so he still had a lot of fans.

One of the most chilling scenes in OJ: Made in America is Roy Firestone interviewing OJ in the '90s asking about domestic violence incidents all the while kissing OJ's ass.

That shit would never happen today.

by Anonymousreply 197June 17, 2019 4:06 AM

I don’t think *any* of his domestic abuse was out there until after they were killed. Anyway to verify?

by Anonymousreply 198June 17, 2019 4:10 AM

Robert and Kris were divorced for many before the murders. She was married to Bruce at the time of the murders.

by Anonymousreply 199June 17, 2019 4:31 AM

r199, whats your point. They had an amicable divorce. I know people who grew up with the Kardashians. And people V. OJ is more accurate than people think.

by Anonymousreply 200June 17, 2019 4:33 AM

R198 According to this LA Times from 1994, it mentioned that OJ's arrest in 1989 for domestic abuse was known to NBC when they hired him as a football analyst several months after his arrest. It seems back in '89, it wasn't a big story and many people just ignored it. The article also states that the prosecutors in the 1989 domestic abuse case wanted OJ to serve a month and undergo a yearlong treatment program for abusers. But, the judge case overruled their requests.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 17, 2019 4:38 AM

The police did such a bad job, there was so much opportunity for cross examination because of the sloppy handling of the blood samples, securing the crime scene ...

And the defense hammered that home to the predominantly black jurors. The jurors also didn't know a lot of the things the public did, that he had a fake mustache and a couple of thousands of dollars in cash in the Bronco with him. Brown's diary depicting OJ's physical abuse.

by Anonymousreply 202June 17, 2019 4:48 AM

What’s your point R200? I didn’t mention anything about the TV show. Who knows, maybe if they were still married he would not have defended OJ since Kim and Nicole were best friends. Do you really think Kris was OK with him defending OJ? Kris wears the pants in that family

by Anonymousreply 203June 17, 2019 4:49 AM

R203 Kris and Robert were not together when he defended him, so your post is fantasy bollocks

by Anonymousreply 204June 17, 2019 5:39 AM

R203 and others don't forget, Robert Kardashian was a close friend, business partner, and trusted confidante of OJ. On one side he had his ex wife pressuring him, and on the other he had his BFF in crisis. What tipped the scales for Robert Kardashian was the possibility he would be asked to testify. In order to avoid testifying, he was put on the defense team. Period. That was the issue.

And yes, he believed his friend OJ, was being set up. Maybe their friends knew they argued. They may have even knew OJ "smacked" Nicole a few times. But they always rationalized it. " It was a holiday party." Or " They were both drunk." Or " She did something to cause it. etc." No one had any idea it was so bad. At least that's what they claimed after the murders. I think for the documentary I saw, OJ: Made in America, they interviewed friends, and one woman recounted a time when they were supposed to get together for lunch and Nicole cancelled, claimed she wasn't feeling well. She didn't want them to see her face all bruised and swollen.

Nicole hid a lot from their social set. As long as they didn't see it or witness it, they could rationalize it, minimize it. And we would be surprised today to realize that back then a lot of people believed domestic abuse was "a private matter " between husband and wife. A lot of corporate enablers of celebrities have covered up this kind of stuff and unless you see a video t ape, even today they get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 205June 17, 2019 12:24 PM

It's interesting to watch Oprah's stony-faced reaction to the verdict in R91.

by Anonymousreply 206June 17, 2019 1:20 PM

Is there really any karma in life if this savage m'erf'er is still walking around?

by Anonymousreply 207June 17, 2019 1:28 PM

Remember the white riot that followed this verdict? I rolled through a few stop signs and took a few pens from work

by Anonymousreply 208June 17, 2019 1:39 PM

R207 Maybe, he's developing dementia or some other issues related to CTE.

by Anonymousreply 209June 17, 2019 1:41 PM

I don't consider dementia any karma for bad deeds.

by Anonymousreply 210June 17, 2019 1:54 PM

If I were OJ, I'd take all my meals at home or have someone else order his take out. He is no a beloved figure anymore.

by Anonymousreply 211June 17, 2019 2:40 PM

Some of those jurors were incredibly dumb to be manipulated by Cochran's preaching style. And yes I am sure the acquittal had a lot to do with the victim being blond and white and married to a black male icon and the majority of jurors being black, lower class females.

One juror said the reason they only deliberated for 3.5 hours was because 'it was time to go home'.

The way black people celebrated OJ, who never did anything for the black community, was truly nauseating. I think, still to this day most black people think he didn't slaughter Brown and Goldman.

by Anonymousreply 212June 17, 2019 8:49 PM

In the Made In America documentary, there were several black community activists who were critical about OJ doing nothing for LA's black community, while living in his white world in Brentwood. They said the way many blacks tried to make him some sort of civil rights hero was sickening.

by Anonymousreply 213June 17, 2019 9:07 PM

Didn't Cochran slip once he thought OJ was indeed the killer?

by Anonymousreply 214June 17, 2019 9:57 PM

What do you mean, r214?

by Anonymousreply 215June 17, 2019 9:59 PM

"I think, still to this day most black people think he didn't slaughter Brown and Goldman. "

I don't think so, I think that the majority of black people know he did it, but lots don't want to admit it to white people. I also think that there are some who are glad he got away with it; in a world where God knows how many black men have been jailed for crimes they didn't commit, they see one getting away with a crime as balancing the scales. Of course IMHO anyone who believes that is an asshole, two wrongs don't make a right.

But yeah, if OJ got away with murder it was because he was rich. There's one law for the rich and another for the poor in this country, and the differences in the way the legal system treats the rich and the poor are much bigger than the differences in the way it treats people by race.

by Anonymousreply 216June 17, 2019 10:17 PM

Iirc there was also an interview Cochran did on TV a couple of years after the trial, where he admitted he knew OJ was guilty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217June 17, 2019 10:45 PM

I’m not sure I believe that reporter, r217.

by Anonymousreply 218June 17, 2019 10:49 PM

The Black people I have spoken to about OJ simply keep saying the Police and the Prosecutors messed up. They didn't sufficiently prove their case and they criticize the Prosecutors for having someone like Fuhrman involved. It's like they don't even want to deal with OJ getting away with murder, but when pressed they say yeah, he probably killed his wife and Ron Goldman, but the LAPD screwed it up.

by Anonymousreply 219June 17, 2019 10:49 PM

Both defense attorneys Robert Shapiro and Johnnie Cochran believed from the outset that Simpson was guilty, Toobin says. "He obviously did it," he quotes Cochran saying off-camera during ABC's "Nightline" June 17, 1994, five days after the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman and a month before Cochran was hired by the defense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220June 17, 2019 10:49 PM

I will say this: As a rule all criminal defense lawyers, even those of modest skills, will go after the police, the chain of evidence, the lab results, etc. because the police departments are notoriously sloppy and careless and procedural shit. It is an easy way to place "reasonable doubt" into the minds of the jury. there's nothing novel or unique about that strategy. Then you add into it a volatile racial situation, and bingo.

by Anonymousreply 221June 17, 2019 10:57 PM

One good thing that came out of the trial is that police departments became much more careful in collecting evidence. That idiot Van Atter taking evidence home and then not turning it in until the next day was inexcusable.

by Anonymousreply 222June 17, 2019 11:12 PM

I agree R222, so many things went wrong and the police made so many mistakes, cross contamination, stepping on the blood, handling evidence without gloves, storing samples wrongly.

Mark Fuhrman did turn out to be a racist pig and he was one if the first on the crime scene.

It wasn't difficult for the defense to hammer that into the predominantly black jurors.

by Anonymousreply 223June 17, 2019 11:41 PM

OJ and Nicole had great sex and that's why Nicole kept reconciling with him.

by Anonymousreply 224June 18, 2019 12:17 AM

The Bronco chase was 25 years ago today.

by Anonymousreply 225June 18, 2019 12:37 AM

[quote]OJ and Nicole had great sex and that's why Nicole kept reconciling with him.

Today we call that "dickmatized." I don't think that word was in use back then.

by Anonymousreply 226June 18, 2019 12:38 AM

r10 I actually got the original NY Newsday front page print plate of the Rangers win. Some guys working for the paper gave it to me the next morning

by Anonymousreply 227June 18, 2019 12:54 AM

video about the chase

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228June 18, 2019 1:11 AM

It still angers me that O.J was found innocent. He was so guilty. At least he did some time in jail later in life but still he should be behind bars for life.

by Anonymousreply 229June 19, 2019 7:36 PM

I find it strange that the criminal trial was never reopened.

by Anonymousreply 230June 19, 2019 7:57 PM

What do you mean, r230?

by Anonymousreply 231June 19, 2019 7:59 PM

R230 you find it strange? Why? There is no way OJ can be retried for the murders, and no one else was involved. It's called Double Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 232June 19, 2019 8:02 PM

I can't tell if r230 is being cheeky or not. LOL. You have to be kidding me. The absurdity of this statement, I cant stop laughing.

by Anonymousreply 233June 19, 2019 8:03 PM

Did Kyle and Kim Richard's know Nicole? They always claim in Instagram posts to have been friends with Kris Jenner and Faye Resnick for years and years so they must have crossed paths.

by Anonymousreply 234June 20, 2019 12:00 AM

R294. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. As I stated previously she was married to Jenner at the time

by Anonymousreply 235June 20, 2019 9:59 PM

Apparently accurately quoting posts isn’t your strong suit. We all have deficiencies.

by Anonymousreply 236June 20, 2019 11:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!