Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Most LGBT-Friendly Cities to Retire

A new report was released naming the most gay-friendly cities to retire in America. Multiple factors were considered, including the percentage of LGBT population in the area, the city’s score on to the Human Rights Campaign Municipal Equality Index (HRCME, which looks at things like laws, policies and services for LGBTQ people), LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce presence, the number of gay-friendly senior communities, local and state legislation protecting the LGBTQ community and cost of living (based on things like housing, food, transportation and healthcare). The top 10 list includes: (1) New Orleans; (2) West Palm Beach; (3) Tucson; (4) Toledo; (5) Alexandria; (6) Tempe; (7) Fort Lauderdale; (8) Austin; (9) Dayton; and (10) Tampa. Anyone interested in moving to one of these cities during their sunset years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 19, 2019 1:11 PM

move to Toledo and give mansion tours!

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2019 10:58 AM

My mom lives in Tampa - I was pleasantly surprised by how many gays and lesbians live there.

by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2019 11:00 AM

I travel to Tucson for work constantly... had no idea it was a gay retirement Mecca. Hot, only feasible with a car, the colour of dirt.... it's not torture but I have a hard time imagining calling it home.

by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2019 11:16 AM

No...

by Anonymousreply 4June 12, 2019 11:19 AM

Not Boston?

by Anonymousreply 5June 12, 2019 11:21 AM

No, never.

by Anonymousreply 6June 12, 2019 11:24 AM

Toledo? Ohio? Huh?? It is boring as fuck. Shopping sucks here, too.

by Anonymousreply 7June 12, 2019 11:28 AM

Boston's expensive, but so is Alexandria. NOLA is dangerous, Ft Lauderdale is dangerous, Austin is a parking lot...

Never sure where they get these lists nor what effect they have. No one is going to move to Toledo as a result of this report

by Anonymousreply 8June 12, 2019 11:30 AM

Why is Fort Lauderdale dangerous?

by Anonymousreply 9June 12, 2019 11:32 AM

I hear great things about Austin. I love the desert, so Tucscon and Tempe interest me.

by Anonymousreply 10June 12, 2019 11:36 AM

Judging from the top two cities on that list, they obviously don't take high crime rates into account.

by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2019 11:37 AM

"We paid to be on this list."

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2019 11:39 AM

All but one of these cities (Alexandria which is in purple Virginia) are in red states. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2019 11:39 AM

high crime rate ===> 'exciting night life'

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2019 11:40 AM

All the delusional New Yorkers attempt to downplay other cities. Typical insecurity.

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2019 11:41 AM

Why Alexandria and not anywhere else in the DMV?

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2019 11:43 AM

Does Toledo have good beaches?

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2019 11:44 AM

I think there's a river there.

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2019 11:45 AM

A river that flows into a lake. What could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2019 11:49 AM

TWO mid-sized citieis in fucking awful Ohio made this list. The list is useless.

These are not great places for gay people. Idiiots made this list.

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2019 11:49 AM

[quote]The top 10 list includes: (1) New Orleans; (2) West Palm Beach; (3) Tucson; (4) Toledo; (5) Alexandria; (6) Tempe; (7) Fort Lauderdale; (8) Austin; (9) Dayton; and (10) Tampa.

To retire or to drop dead? All horrible cities.

by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2019 11:52 AM

R20 and R21, you must New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2019 11:53 AM

My parents retired to a town south of Tucson. It’s got a lot to recommend itself to people loving on pensions and savings. Really great senior recreational services. Fantastic and affordable housing. Just saying. And I went to University iof Arizona which is located in Tucson. Tucson also has a lot to recommend itself as a place for living if you’re on a pension or are living off savings. The missing thing in ALL these places is community. There just aren’t many gays in these places so I would fear being isolated.

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2019 12:03 PM

There is one half dead gay bar in Toledo. Run down, near empty center. Yuck. Flat and boring. Nice people however. So there is that.

by Anonymousreply 24June 12, 2019 12:03 PM

Check out Providence.

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2019 12:18 PM

Oooooo, Providence is lovely.

In the summer.

by Anonymousreply 26June 12, 2019 12:29 PM

There's retirement at 65 and retirement at 85. These are not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 27June 12, 2019 12:32 PM

Why would the top LGBT friendly cities be any different in retirement years than any other time?

by Anonymousreply 28June 12, 2019 12:37 PM

avoid West Palm - gross and run down. Worst of all it’s the rehab capital of the US with dozens and dozens of halfway houses everywhere. Crazed relapsing drug addicts all over - it’s a nightmare

by Anonymousreply 29June 12, 2019 12:50 PM

NOLA is going to be completely underwater in the next decade. It is not salvageable.

by Anonymousreply 30June 12, 2019 1:00 PM

Wrong R22, no New Yorker would call half these places cities.

by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2019 1:01 PM

R24, there are actually 5 gay bars in Toledo. One is fairly trendy (for Toledo). Toledo is getting a bad rap from you meanies. I live here. On my block, there are gay pride flags currently being displayed on 24 of the 26 homes. People here are friendly and fairly open-minded (at least compared to other cities I lived in previously). It's been pretty easy to make friends, both gay and straight. Toledo certainly not a glamorous city by any stretch of the imagination, but partner/my social life has improved significantly since downsizing to a smaller city.

by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2019 1:56 PM

IIRC, Austin is the only city in Texas (Houston may have joined by now) that specifically gives housing protections to LGBT residents.

by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2019 2:02 PM

As mentioned in several other threads, we need to colonize a new location.

by Anonymousreply 34June 12, 2019 2:32 PM

Why on earth would Palm Springs not be #1 on that list?

by Anonymousreply 35June 12, 2019 2:39 PM

R28 Cost of living.

by Anonymousreply 36June 12, 2019 2:40 PM

We should take over an abandoned town. One that is preferably not a brown site.

by Anonymousreply 37June 12, 2019 2:40 PM

The PS chamber of commerce wouldn't pay the advertising fee.

by Anonymousreply 38June 12, 2019 2:41 PM

Yes, Broward has strong protections for LBGT people, but Fort Lauderdale itself is way crowded with skyscrapers towering over the beach, traffic that is uncontrolled, huge dangerous ghetto areas, high housing prices, and unbearable summers.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2019 2:42 PM

If you're gay and about to retire one of he things you should consider before moving to a new city is the cost of rent boys.

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2019 2:50 PM

Has Ruth Madoff living in Connecticut, who actually lives in Toledo, weighed in?

Not being snarky, seriously would like his opinion.

by Anonymousreply 41June 12, 2019 2:51 PM

For retirees who are drug addicts - Toledo, Dayton, West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, NOLA - all have high drug addiction rates. Maybe they are so boring, people just do drugs.

by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2019 3:01 PM

NOLA is boring?

by Anonymousreply 43June 12, 2019 3:02 PM

New Orleans?

No way would I retire there.

Visiting is even stretching it.

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2019 3:03 PM

Brunei is a fabulous place for gay retirees! Forget America, go expat!

by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2019 3:05 PM

What about a college town like Ann Arbor, Athens GA, or Madison?

by Anonymousreply 46June 12, 2019 3:07 PM

Dayton has many gay bars and is a super cheap place to live. Yes, it has an opioid problem, but that's improved dramatically over the last 12 months.

by Anonymousreply 47June 12, 2019 3:08 PM

Another list of "best ofs" that anyone with half a brain could see is a complete waste of time because of its ridiculousness.

by Anonymousreply 48June 12, 2019 3:30 PM

R48, did you read the article? This survey is based on specific criteria. If you don't like the list, do your own survey with your own made-up metrics that will be sure to include cities that you deem worthy.

by Anonymousreply 49June 12, 2019 3:38 PM

Weird, ideological list.

by Anonymousreply 50June 12, 2019 4:43 PM

San Diego would top my list: not too expensive, not too cold, some cultural things to enjoy, can drive to Tijuana to buy cheap prescription drugs, some big colleges, some military bases, not far from LA, low crime rates, not too right or left.

by Anonymousreply 51June 12, 2019 5:02 PM

Cost of living is 30% higher in San Diego than it is in the rest of the country. This is probably why it didn't make the list.

by Anonymousreply 52June 12, 2019 5:06 PM

That pic at OP is horrifying!

by Anonymousreply 53June 12, 2019 5:10 PM

Columbus Ohio is very gay friendly and growing with lots of young people, something must be in the water for Ohio to have so many gay friendly cities.

by Anonymousreply 54June 12, 2019 5:12 PM

New Orleans has the Corner Pocket for all your geriatric teabagging needs. A dollar goes a long way at this sophisticated night spot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 12, 2019 5:17 PM

I would pick Cleveland over Dayton. Somewhat more sophisticated scene and bigger city than Dayton. Plus good airport, hospital and restaurants. And still cheap. Cleveland should definitely be on the list.

by Anonymousreply 56June 12, 2019 5:22 PM

Just leave the country and move to Spain.

by Anonymousreply 57June 12, 2019 5:25 PM

R52 if old farts want it very cheap, they can always live in Flint or Topeka.

by Anonymousreply 58June 12, 2019 5:33 PM

Yes, but Flint and Topeka aren't on the list. Old people generally live on fixed incomes, and their financial priorities shift. Someday, you may grow old, too, grasshopper. As I get older, I don't crave the hustle and bustle of the exciting city life. I can get my fix by visiting.

by Anonymousreply 59June 12, 2019 5:46 PM

The cost of living in Toledo is insanely cheap. A 3 bedroom house almost never costs more than $200k. There's plenty of hospitals, gay bars and even beaches. If Toledo's beaches aren't to your liking, Port Clinton/Cedar Point is about an hour east. Their beach scene is way better than Toledo's. Detroit's airport is about 40 mins north of here. If you live here, that's where you fly in and out.

by Anonymousreply 60June 13, 2019 12:29 AM

Toledo and Dayton are not a bad options. The winters aren't as bad as Madison or UP and it is in a purple state, as opposed to Athens. Anyplace in the south makes me nervous. What about Allentown? Less that 2 hrs from NY and Philly? What about Wilmington, Delaware. We could all incorporate and get special rights!

by Anonymousreply 61June 13, 2019 12:40 AM

R61, I love Wilmington.

by Anonymousreply 62June 13, 2019 12:46 AM

[quote]If you're gay and about to retire one of he things you should consider before moving to a new city is the cost of rent boys.

If you retire to Palm Springs and you're under 70 you can BE a rentboy.

by Anonymousreply 63June 13, 2019 1:45 AM

How did Palm Springs and Sacramento not make the list ??? Absolutely atrocious list.

by Anonymousreply 64June 13, 2019 2:18 AM

Cleveland? Dayton? Seriously?

No one mentions one of the most supportive cities - as in not a dead town or boring as hell with social & great medical services and jobs for seniors if they are needed - Washington, D.C.?

I'll say it: Washington, D.C.

by Anonymousreply 65June 13, 2019 2:31 AM

[quote]Washington DC

Poor old uncles and aunties can't afford it. Cheap life, cheap death and no fun are what they look for.

by Anonymousreply 66June 13, 2019 2:43 AM

The most Post Christian Cities in America for 2019 was recently posted. Entirely relevant to this topic.

Albany/Schenectady/Troy comes in No.6. We and a few enlightened other cities are leading the world to a Post Christian Era.

Albany is 150 miles to NYC and to Boston and only 250 to Montreal. The Hudson Valley is splendid. Check it out.

by Anonymousreply 67June 13, 2019 2:50 AM

Oops. Here's the list.

Forgive me. I'm old and retired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 13, 2019 2:51 AM

Austin had a recent gay bashing. Could just be an outlier.

by Anonymousreply 69June 13, 2019 3:00 AM

How about Peoria?

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2019 3:44 AM

I call foul on no Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 71June 13, 2019 3:46 AM

On second thought, to give the author of this list the benefit of the doubt, I think they try to mix things up with new and unusual choices. Otherwise, they're just recycling and renumbering to same 10 - 15 cities year to year.

by Anonymousreply 72June 13, 2019 3:54 AM

Why not NYC! Lots of gays here! It's great for seniors too!

by Anonymousreply 73June 13, 2019 4:37 AM

I beg to differ about DC being too far out of reach. This is mostly meant for those already here.

It has excellent transportation with senior discounts as well as free ride-on services. Depending on where you live it is walkable to many places (stores, medical facilities, entertainment, restaurants, social services, employment). In other words you don't need to a car to get around cheaply.

As noted there are many places which a senior can find part time or regular employment to supplement retirement income. There are many opportunities for volunteer work and networking which many seniors need to stay a part of the real world.

While housing can be costly there are ways to downsize to afford a decent location. Obviously for people already situated it may very well pay to age in place. Relocating to a new town often means losing a network of support that allows seniors to stay in their homes and function with the help of friends/colleagues. If you ever need home health or other services city living makes that more accessible to those workers.

I never understood why people leave a perfectly good city where they may have a life long or at least decades long social and work network to retire to nowheresville where they don't know people. Even if they are partnered up what happens when that person dies and then you're alone in a fairly new home town.

by Anonymousreply 74June 13, 2019 5:12 AM

R74, this type of list is usually intended for people who want to relocate when the retire. If they plan to age in place, they don't need lists of places to retire.

Regarding DC: I am a native Washingtonian, currently living in Philadelphia. I would love to retire to my hometown (Silver Spring), or somewhere else in the DC area, but the housing cost is much too high. Perhaps if you live there, you are not aware of how much more expensive even very ordinary apartments are in the DMV than most other metro areas. And houses/condominiums are far more expensive even than Philly, which is not a cheap area by national standards.

Most of the affordable housing for seniors in Maryland (not sure about DC/VA) is income-restricted - single-person households usually to somewhere around $40,000/year - so that middle-income retirees would not qualify. It's great that Maryland is progressive and has lots of housing for low-income seniors, but it does leave out those of us who are neither poor nor well-to-do.

by Anonymousreply 75June 13, 2019 5:36 AM

Tucson? Fucking Tempe? Are they out of their fucking minds? I left Arizona because I was tired of living in a state that hates gays, can fire people for being gay. Also not ONCE did I ever see two guys holding hands in public in an everyday situation, like say, Palm Springs. Still can't get over Tucson. Imbeciles must of made this list.

by Anonymousreply 76June 13, 2019 5:38 AM

I'm from northern Ohio and there will never be anywhere in that state that isn't a shit hole. Maybe Amish country with the closeted hot guys.

by Anonymousreply 77June 13, 2019 5:46 AM

The list was compiled using statistics about cost of living and gay-friendly legislation. They should have factored in evidence of gay population as well, since many gay retirees will want to live in a place where there are others like them.

Are there any cities with large gay populations that are also cheap? It doesn't have to be a known gay mecca like Palm Springs or Ft Lauderdale. What about Houston? Atlanta?

For example, I live in suburban Philadelphia. Many (I'd say most, but I don't have numbers to prove it) gay people would feel perfectly comfortable here. Of course it's mostly straight, but you do see gay couples in the supermarket, at the mall and movie theaters etc. No one bothers them or even cares one way or the other because it's a big city. In 20 years here, I have never experienced a moment of discomfort or sense of not belonging or being welcome - as welcome as anyone is in (again) a big city. If I were seeking social outlets, I'd seek out some of the many gay-oriented events that every big city, including Philadelphia, has.

My point is that any really large metro area will have urban and suburban areas where gays and lesbians can live and feel comfortable. If they want to be surrounded by other LG people all the time, that's a different matter, but I don't think most of us really need or especially want that.

by Anonymousreply 78June 13, 2019 6:12 AM

I actually think Tucson is fairly left-leaning (for Arizona), and is basically a large university town. It reliably votes Democratic in Arizona. Beautiful desert landscape which hasn’t been paved over as is the case in Phoenix. Definitely need a car, however I believe Lyft/Uber is really a game changer for folks without cars.

Tempe is definitely the most liberal town in metro Phoenix (and again, a university town). I lived there years ago (1993-95) and they had the gay pride celebration there for the entire Phoenix area. Now I believe it’s moved to Phoenix proper. However, Tempe is probably just behind Paradise Valley/Scottsdale in terms of pricey areas in the Valley.

by Anonymousreply 79June 13, 2019 6:27 AM

What are the names of these 5 gay bars in Toledo? I have never seen gay flags flying in Toledo. What section of the city are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 80June 13, 2019 6:39 AM

[quote]gay-friendly legislation

Cities that need to pass anti-discrimination ordinances are cities teeming homophobic population. You don't need this kind of laws if your people are not bigots. Shitty neighbors you will have if you move there.

by Anonymousreply 81June 13, 2019 6:43 AM

Gays need to start colonizing or creating their own cities. The US has surprisingly few very popular gayborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 82June 13, 2019 6:56 AM

Is everyone forgetting that Ohio banned same sex marriages & civil unions in 2004?

The political left tried to get the voters to vote no on the ballot measure & vote on just a same sex marriage ban & allowing civil unions at a later date) in '06 but the public didn't care about civil unions rights at all.

It passed in like every one of its 88 counties. The state continues to drift to the crazy right at all levels of government.

Ohio is not very gay friendly at large. it should now be considered Trumpy country. .

by Anonymousreply 83June 13, 2019 7:43 AM

R80 Drive down Densmore Dr. in Old Orchard for the colorful display of gay pride flags and banners. Maybe it will elevate your mood.

by Anonymousreply 84June 13, 2019 11:33 AM

Thanks, OP, for the list.

Now I know what cities to avoid.

As a lesbian, it’s dangerous for me to retire in in a community that drank the T.

by Anonymousreply 85June 13, 2019 11:45 AM

OMG! Toledo really does have a lively gay bar scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 13, 2019 12:04 PM

Because Toledo is the kind of place that makes you want to drink yourself to death.

by Anonymousreply 87June 13, 2019 12:06 PM

McClune's, RHouse, Mojo's, Legends, Georgz. There's also pride flags up and down Adams Street. I didn't know about Densmore but that makes sense. During the "mansion tours" many years ago I was behind an elderly woman waiting to tour a house with a rainbow flag out front. She asked what the rainbow flag meant and when told responded with "and they want everyone to know?" I'm still humored by that.

I quit drinking years ago, but when I was young and drunk there was nowhere else to be but Bretz. It closed a year or two ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 13, 2019 12:25 PM

Gulfport, Florida. Seriously.

But it's not cheap anymore.

by Anonymousreply 89June 13, 2019 12:26 PM

R78, I love Philadelphia and wonder what your commute is from suburban Philadelphia. Or do you go into the city on weekends only?

by Anonymousreply 90June 13, 2019 12:44 PM

R89 more info on Gulfport please

by Anonymousreply 91June 13, 2019 12:46 PM

Gulfport, Florida, is part of Tampa/Clearwater/St.Petersburg.

It is due to be permanently underwater in 5... 4... 3... 2....

by Anonymousreply 92June 13, 2019 12:49 PM

Why retire in a city? I thought old people wanted to live in the countryside when they retire. Or are the eldergays different because they want to continue using Grindr?

by Anonymousreply 93June 13, 2019 12:54 PM

I will live in the country side if you come shovel the snow, R93.

by Anonymousreply 94June 13, 2019 1:01 PM

Toledo proudly flies its gay pride flag at the government center.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 13, 2019 1:15 PM

R85 Sounds like you should move to Mississippi.

You'd love every county there.

by Anonymousreply 96June 13, 2019 1:23 PM

R93, you need to respect your elders. You'll wake up sooner than you think and be one yourself.

by Anonymousreply 97June 13, 2019 1:25 PM

r96 Cunt of the Thread. I hope she ends up in MS.

by Anonymousreply 98June 13, 2019 1:26 PM

WAAAAAAAAH ! My city didn't make the list!! WAAAAH! Let me write that everywhere on the list is a shithole!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAH!!

by Anonymousreply 99June 13, 2019 1:31 PM

Did I strike a nerve R98? I think you mean R85.

Most trans rights measures are over the 50% mark & climbing.

As the elderly population goes over the the next 5-10 years it's only going to get worse for your anti-trans movement.

More cities & counties here in the US will be adopting pro trans measures.

it's inevitable Einstein.

Maybe R85 / R98 will enjoy some part of Africa?

by Anonymousreply 100June 13, 2019 1:33 PM

No, it's you, r100.

by Anonymousreply 101June 13, 2019 1:34 PM

R100, anyone who thinks a lesbian should be forced, whether through shame or through rape, to have sex with a penised person, deserves to live in hell.

by Anonymousreply 102June 13, 2019 1:36 PM

Do we think Toledo's congresswoman Marcy Kaptur is a lesbian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 13, 2019 1:39 PM

What about P-Town?

I'm retiring to Brighton, UK. You can make out on the street and nobody turns a hair.

by Anonymousreply 104June 13, 2019 1:40 PM

R101 Lousy comeback & of course you can't argue against my facts.

Demographics is destiny.

The under 40 crowd are the most pro trans group in US history.

They will court trans & their relatives/friends when they run for office.

R102 I never said that. Don't put words in other people's mouths. Very few Americans dream of having sex with the likes Lea Delaria & kd lang.

Face it.

The Pat Buchanans of America are an endangered species now.

by Anonymousreply 105June 13, 2019 1:40 PM

[quote]I never said that. Don't put words in other people's mouths.

Has that been erased from the transifesto, r105? For some reason, it remains as something a lot of us believe about you.

by Anonymousreply 106June 13, 2019 1:47 PM

R103 she has a Janet Reno poster in her bedroom!

by Anonymousreply 107June 13, 2019 1:48 PM

"Very few Americans dream of having sex with the likes Lea Delaria & kd lang."

I'd love to much on their twats!

by Anonymousreply 108June 13, 2019 1:49 PM

Gay friendly cities are great but what about the states' laws? I'd never live in Louisiana or Arizona or Ohio or many of the other listed states. State and Federal laws are what really count.

by Anonymousreply 109June 13, 2019 1:52 PM

R102, no one has ever said a lesbian should be forced to have sex with a person with a penis. EVER.

Some trans said they would like it if lesbians would consider dating them. Just like a lot of older guys on DL would like it if twins dated them. It's possible to reject someone without denying their resistance and shaming them.

by Anonymousreply 110June 13, 2019 1:53 PM

It got a little more strident than that, r110. Considerably more strident. I'm not a twitter member, but I remember reading shit there a couple of years ago that urged killing lesbians who wouldn't have sex with trans women. I don't remember the tweeter's name. Just fucking vicious.

When that's who represents you, don't be surprised people consider you a Pat Buchanan (to crib from your scrawlings) of the left.

by Anonymousreply 111June 13, 2019 1:58 PM

Finally someone smart to talk to = R110

Hi! How are you doing?

Poor R108 thinks I was referring to the fellow lesbians of Lea & kd (I was talking about the 310 other Americans).

R106 Just because some trans people wrote some kind of manifesto doesn't mean it will ever be approved by the US majority. You are even crazier than I think if you are suggesting a majority of Americans will ever approve of legalizing rape. Do you need a prescription refilled?

R111 Using one trans person on Twitter to deny every trans persons rights is like saying lesbians (& maybe even the G & B) should have their rights taken away for the lesbian who drove her family off a California cliff. Are you dumb enough to even go there? Sounds like it.

by Anonymousreply 112June 13, 2019 2:02 PM

This list just seems so weird.

Not a lot for anyone who doesn't want to live in the South.

Nothing in particular against Toledo or Dayton but I can think of half a dozen cities in OH and PA that are far more gay friendly.

The only thing I can think of is that small/medium sized cities are more highly valued within the parameters of this survey - understandably, maybe for walkability or livability or transit.

by Anonymousreply 113June 13, 2019 2:04 PM

R112 That should read "the other 310 million Americans"). I accidentally deleted "million" before posting it.

R111 I'm not a leftie or a rightie (like about 1/3 of Americans now).

I also don't think there are any "Pat Buchanans of the left in America".

Can you name some of them?

by Anonymousreply 114June 13, 2019 2:06 PM

R102 & co. should be focusing on straight guys who think they can always get with lipstick lesbians =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 13, 2019 2:30 PM

This list is moot.... In 10 -15 years, anything in the south and southwest will be unlivable in the summer months....

by Anonymousreply 116June 13, 2019 2:41 PM

Philly and environs is a good option -progressive, affordable, no driving required, vibrant cultural scene and Gayborhood, great hospitals. Not quite as isolated as Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 117June 13, 2019 3:22 PM

Many gay men have drug problems. I hope American gayborhoods don't start looking like Skid Row.

by Anonymousreply 118June 13, 2019 3:27 PM

R118.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 13, 2019 3:39 PM

I've thought about buying property in or around Saugatuck, MI. Which is very lovely, and there's probably about a 20 mile radius where it's very gay friendly.

But then you run into Holland, which has a big Christian college, and Grand Rapids, which is DeVos territory.

Maybe too small of a footprint to be included in that survey.

by Anonymousreply 120June 13, 2019 3:49 PM

Saugatuck is fabulous. It's about 3-4 hours from Chicago, Detroit and Toledo. I love their gay campground, Campit. They used to have a big vintage Airstream that I would rent. There was also the vintage Lucy Trailer. It's heaven. The gays in this video traveled the country in their RV looking for a place to retire and they selected Campit in Saugatuck. I watched their vlogs regularly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 13, 2019 3:59 PM

Fortunately I don't have to move, but I would take a shithole city in CA before any of these places.

by Anonymousreply 122June 13, 2019 3:59 PM

And they're all in red states. The irony.

by Anonymousreply 123June 13, 2019 4:01 PM

R90, I do work in the city – in West Philadelphia. I have a fairly long commute because I live well out into the western suburbs, and there’s only one expressway I can use. It takes about 45 minutes door-to-door, of which about 35-40 minutes is driving. The distance is 19 miles, so you can see the traffic is quite heavy, but it does move.

I don’t go into the city on weekends much anymore, although I did when I was younger and first moved here. I’m a homebody and a diehard suburbanite. All my friends are in the burbs, and I’m long past bothering with gay bars or caring about the gayborhood - but they are there if that's what you like.

If I do go into town on a weekend, it will take about the same amount of time as a weekday during the daytime; but at night (after 7 or so), you can really fly into and out of the city – less than 30 minutes to Center City, all expressway driving.

Many people like Philly a lot; it has all the usual big-Eastern-city amenities, including a great art museum. It also has a decent commuter rail system that you could use if you want to avoid driving. You have to be sure you move near a station, since parking at the stations is usually limited. There are many walkable neighborhoods in the city and some of the older suburbs if that’s your thing.

I’m a Washingtonian originally, and I lived in NY for some years before moving here, so to me Philadelphia always seems a little provincial and parochial, but it’s quite a comfortable place for gays. And much cheaper than DC or NY.

by Anonymousreply 124June 14, 2019 7:08 AM

R94, I would love to live in the country, but as a single man, I think it would be too isolating. Also, as one ages, one has to consider health care and health issues. Living in the middle of nowhere is not good if you have a health emergency, and if you need regular health care, the options in rural areas are limited and usually poorer quality than in the city or suburbs. These are the things you must think about when you get old that you never imagined you’d worry about when you were young.

by Anonymousreply 125June 14, 2019 7:10 AM

I live in Arizona and yes Tucson is gay friendly. But Tempe definitely isn’t. Scottsdale is the most gay friendly town in Az by far. And if a gay bashing were to happen here...Phoenix or Tempe is where that would happen here. So this list wasn’t made by someone or any group of people who actually visited these places.

by Anonymousreply 126June 14, 2019 8:07 AM

R78, I'd add Sacramento. It's relatively affordable, has a decent gay population and is gay friendly. Better to avoid most of the surrounding burbs, though.

by Anonymousreply 127June 14, 2019 12:02 PM

You couldn’t pay me to retire to New Orleans. Who in their right mind would EVER.

I love the big city but I cannot handle the crime and anxiety forever. Time to say Aloha, motherfuckers, and embrace a gay friendly state without the urban poors of the mainland.

by Anonymousreply 128June 14, 2019 12:36 PM

Aloha, motherfucker r128.

by Anonymousreply 129June 14, 2019 12:48 PM

r122 why do you want to live in a shithole city in CA before any of these places? Serious question.

by Anonymousreply 130June 14, 2019 1:11 PM

I’m from Toledo and this list is shite. Toledo is full of Trumpers and that’s about it. Useless list.

by Anonymousreply 131June 14, 2019 1:23 PM

[quote] Toledo is full of Trumpers and that’s about it.

And "our" Ruth Madoff.

by Anonymousreply 132June 14, 2019 1:48 PM

R131, In the 2016 presidential election, 56% of Toledoans voted for Hillary and only 38% voted for Trump. You must be interacting with the wrong people.

by Anonymousreply 133June 14, 2019 1:52 PM

Toledo's favorite uncle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134June 14, 2019 1:54 PM

R90 - another Philadelphian suburbanite here. I don’t use a car at all. I’m on a rail line 25 minutes west of the city in a liberal college town with a great little downtown with organic market and some restaurants. Walking trails, arboretum and open space that provide the nature that I need as I get older. I go in the city every weekend. The train drops you right in the Gayborhood - similar to DC’s DuPont Circle metro station. One of the best metro areas for older gay men - progressive, tons of culture and activities , great hospitals, abundant public transport, beautiful historic architecture, relatively affordable.

by Anonymousreply 135June 14, 2019 2:04 PM

R125, I would add Apache Junction to the list, it's quite gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 136June 14, 2019 2:12 PM

Still waiting for some names R111.

by Anonymousreply 137June 15, 2019 2:58 PM

Toledo proper barely went to Hillary because of labor union votes, the rest of that entire corner of Ohio is Trump central: Fox News, guns and concomitant idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 138June 15, 2019 3:23 PM

Go away R114 - use another thread for your personal anger venting,

I oils chose a southern city before Ohio. Houston is a city that’s cheap, great hospitals, good food, good airport.

by Anonymousreply 139June 15, 2019 4:21 PM

^ I would choose

by Anonymousreply 140June 15, 2019 4:33 PM

R139 English is not your friend.

Also people shouldn't make claims on any thread that they can't back up with facts.

by Anonymousreply 141June 15, 2019 4:36 PM

According to this thread Philadelphia seems to be the best option.Gonna have to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 142June 15, 2019 4:43 PM

r76 probably best places to have sex with hot guys (most likely closeted) rather than the best places that LGBT people can freely be LGBT.

by Anonymousreply 143June 15, 2019 4:44 PM

[quote] Houston is a city that’s cheap, great hospitals, good food, good airport.

And absolutely horrible weather.

by Anonymousreply 144June 15, 2019 4:46 PM

I retired in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 145June 15, 2019 4:56 PM

Speaking of beating R145, please be patient with us.

We'll get to you eventually.

by Anonymousreply 146June 15, 2019 5:00 PM

Several of these seem like terrible choices. Northern Virginia is horribly expensive with terrible traffic - and high taxes. That should rule it out as a place to retire. What was the criteria here? Nothing financial sensible, I think.

by Anonymousreply 147June 15, 2019 5:28 PM

Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 148June 15, 2019 5:37 PM

Isn’t everything crazy expensive in Hawaii? And is there any decent hospital? And you’re trapped on an island? “Paradise” physically is rarely a practical place to actually live.

by Anonymousreply 149June 15, 2019 5:40 PM

I've been retired for 8 years and have often thought about relocating but I think what I'll continue to do (for as along as I can) is stay where I am and just travel a lot. In recent years I've done month-long VRBO rentals in nice places; I think that's a better strategy than owning a second home somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 150June 15, 2019 5:50 PM

Boxed crap from the mainland is expensive in Hawaii. If it’s imported it’s more, especially fraucrap HGTV home decor stuff. Don’t go if you must have the big box lifestyles and wide open spaces of Akron.

This also means no importing guns and crime, stuff that makes the big cities of the mainland exhausting. Healthcare is fine there. Weather is perfection.

The issue of being on an island is overblown. If you’re stuck in NY, you’re on a much smaller island of Manhattan. Any big city you basically never leave the city.

Plus the Polynesian/Japanese/Filipino blend of culture makes it very diverse and in a good way rather than in the Oakland way.

by Anonymousreply 151June 15, 2019 5:54 PM

Interesting R151. Though I think the NYC comparison is a little weak. I can be on the “mainland” via 10 minute train or car. And there is more on the island of Manhattan than in all of most states. But enjoy the weather.

by Anonymousreply 152June 15, 2019 6:28 PM

R144, well, that depends on what you like - or rather don't like. I'd rather live in Houston than Palm Springs any day. I hate that fierce desert-dry heat and, if I'm going to have really hot summers, would sooner put up with the steamy but lower heat of HOU over PS, LV or Phoenix. Furthermore, people flock to FL, and not just the coast, with the ocean breezes. Retirees move to Orlando, and I can't see any serious difference between summer in Orlando and summer in Houston.

But Houston, like Philadelphia - which is more expensive but has a better climate if you like 4-season climates - is a big city. You have to want that level of crowding and traffic, and not everyone does in their retirement years. The health care in both places is absolutely top-notch, though. That's the biggest advantage of big cities.

by Anonymousreply 153June 15, 2019 7:59 PM

R147, yes, we have strayed far away from the affordability factor. The problem is that so many people at DL clutch their pearls in horror at the thought of living anywhere that's not ultra-progressive and gayer than an Ungaro spring frock, and the only smaller cities in that category are college towns ... and college towns are almost always pricey.

by Anonymousreply 154June 15, 2019 8:02 PM

You have to be a multimillionaire to buy property in P-town. It’s also very quiet and isolated in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 155June 15, 2019 11:28 PM

My friend just texted me to let me know that Hamburger Mary's is coming to Toledo. It's going to be in really Toledo's finest dining location along the river.

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 16, 2019 1:46 PM

Stop trying to make Toledo happen.

by Anonymousreply 157June 19, 2019 12:11 PM

Does that mean we can go back to being gay again?

by Anonymousreply 158June 19, 2019 12:42 PM

I've never really bought into these types of listicles. I've seen so many of these "Best City" lists and they often seem to pick cities almost at random or for the purpose of promoting various places. And I'm not crazy about being in a liberal Oasis in an otherwise backward state.

by Anonymousreply 159June 19, 2019 1:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!