Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Strangers who want to hug

Creepy? I think so. One woman said “I won’t shake your hand but I’ll hug you”.

I have a thing about strangers and my “zone”.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2019 6:47 PM

Yes, it's creepy. You can always say no.

by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2019 11:50 AM

Never saw that but in France or Spain it is normal even in business setting to give a kiss when you greet a woman.

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2019 12:02 PM

Hug? Not if you are wearing anything that smells. No handshake if you have slime on your hands, no matter how good you think it smells.

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2019 12:34 PM

I agree, OP. Experienced this at the Unity church with my now-ex who goes there. I went once. At that location, when the congregation greets one another, in the main they expect to hug, stranger or no. For this and many other reasons, it was a bizarre experience. I shook hands, for which I was admonished by my ex later for possibly making others uncomfortable since he was more concerned about their feelings than mine. Needless to say, I dumped him.

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2019 1:23 PM

This. Drives. Me. Crazy.

Especially stomach churning watching it on shows like The Amazing Race, when the contestants hug strangers as a thank you. And you can see the look of bewilderment in their eyes, as it’s not their custom to do that.

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2019 1:42 PM

[quote]This. Drives. Me. Crazy.

In that case, I'd recommend you stay out of Union Square

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2019 2:14 PM

Non-consensual hugging is invasive.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2019 2:20 PM

I like to hug if it’s a guy with a nice hard body. Gives me a little thrill.

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2019 2:25 PM

DON'T TOUCH ME!!

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2019 2:35 PM

[quote] I have a thing about strangers and my “zone”.

Me too, but my zone is designated "for public use."

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2019 2:37 PM

I don't mind if someone, friend or someone who I just met, wants to hug me. When I greet someone new I usually extend my hand, but if we're hooking up for sex, a hug and kiss would be proper. I hug all my friends but I shake hands with all my relatives. My exception to hugging would be some random person off the street, regardless how attractive. They may be more interested in what I have in my pockets.

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2019 2:55 PM

R6 there is a reason it was called Union Scare at one time.

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2019 2:56 PM

Total strangers? No. But there are occasions where I hugged friends of a friend at parties when being introduced to them. But that was because it was a casual laid back enviroment.

In a public street someone coming towards me makes me want to grab my taser out of my man-purse and use it. Especially in these Trump Deplorable times.

by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2019 3:00 PM

Hugging is literal rape!

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2019 3:06 PM

OP, it's easy. As they go on in for the hug, say softly, "Careful--my colostomy bag!"

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2019 3:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2019 3:33 PM

As any of you who have been to Japan know, the Japanese are not terribly tactile. A handshake, maybe, but to hug in public? Never.

Once I was sitting on a bench waiting for my partner who was shopping and a group of middle-aged women came out of a restaurant. They were saying their good-byes and they kept bowing. I thought, In the US, they'd be hugging each other over and over again, but not here.

Later I was walking alone from the Osaka Station to my hotel and there was a young Japanese guy with a 'Free Hugs' sign. I thought it would be interesting to surreptitiously watch and see if anyone took him up on it. I watched for a good 10 minutes and, despite the throngs of people, nobody would give the poor guy a hug (maybe because the sign was in English), I approached him and tentatively opened my arms (just in case the offer was meant for women only). He put down his sign and gave me a very nice, quite firm hug. Made my day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2019 3:59 PM

"I won't hug you, but I'll wave at you from over here!"

by Anonymousreply 18June 11, 2019 10:20 PM

Caveat: my creepiest, griftiest, most spineless and abusive former managers went in for hugs, usually early in the relationship. It’s a sign of desperation and poor boundaries as well as lack of respect and concern for anothers’ autonomy.

My best boss was more of a clap-hand-on-the-shoulder/buy-you-a-coffee type.

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2019 8:30 AM

Yeah, no thanks. Respect begins with my personal space bubble. I'll shake your hand, but that's it unless we are on close terms..

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2019 8:39 AM

I hate feeling like you have to hug someone. Especially at work, it's very offensive in my opinion.

I teach adults and often when they graduate I can sense they're looking for a hug. I embrace the awkwardness of the moment, but not the person. A distant handshake is all you get from me mother fucker!

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2019 12:23 PM

No Fank You to candy, puppies, and hugs from strangers.

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2019 12:58 PM

Just wear this all year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2019 1:06 PM

I hate shaking hands with strangers. The only exception is a job interview or introduction.

I’ll refuse sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2019 1:32 PM

I hate to say it but this seems to have originated in gay culture. I only hugged in gay situations out of obligation but it has spread outwards over the decades

by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2019 1:36 PM

The other day, I mentioned to my ex that I seemed to attract a lot of hugs and other forms of physical affection from various people. In a very matter-of-fact way, he told me that I was 'cuddly' and had a warm personality. I implied he was telling me I was fat, but he just told me I was lucky that so many people felt motivated to show me kindness. So I figure I'll just live with that. There are certainly worse things in life, and I'm getting old.

by Anonymousreply 26June 16, 2019 5:48 PM

Bed bugs.

You can get bed bugs this way.

by Anonymousreply 27June 16, 2019 5:58 PM

I didn't grow up in a family that hugged and said I love you, and I certainly don't want strangers taking that liberty.

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2019 5:11 AM

R2 It's not truly a kiss in France. More like touching cheeks and sometimes making a kissing sound at the same time, no lips.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2019 5:50 AM

Never trust a stranger, stranger whoaaa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2019 1:02 AM

I think it's really presumptuous and ill-considered. I wish people weren't so huggy, because I'm just not!

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2019 1:22 AM

Wait... wait... I'm taking notes!

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2019 1:24 AM

R6, are those guys pickpockets?

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2019 1:26 AM

The proper response is "Stand further off, you fat loathsome whore!"

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2019 1:43 AM

Free hugs as opposed to ??

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2019 1:47 AM

What an odd thing to freak out about

Yes, it's a little odd and awkward when someone I don't know very well hugs me, but that's on them, not me and I just figure it's their thing and let it go.

So many random things get under DLers skins in the worst way

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2019 1:50 AM

I am all for it

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2019 1:55 AM

I’m opposed to public displays of affection. But, then again, I’m also opposed to private displays of affection, so there you go.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2019 2:42 AM

I start sneezing uncontrollably when people get hug-close.

They back off fast.

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2019 2:47 AM

I only allow little old people to hug me. I figure they need it. Otherwise, no thanks!

by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2019 5:15 AM

In Switzerland we kiss three times which many find excessive. But give me the kiss over a hug any day. Even better; the Japanese bow. Better still: a little wink.

by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2019 9:48 AM

It's weird..I have some friends who I hug, and some who I don't. I can't really explain why.

by Anonymousreply 42June 22, 2019 12:58 PM

I find it abhorrent that this is the new normal in the U.K. now. It is totally contrary to our national character and we can’t even it off without clumsy awkwardness.

Back in the ‘90s we didn’t hug multiple times in every conversation unless we were on something euphoric and feeling it. Now I’m expected to hug new co-workers, my neighbours, the boyfriends of friends when I’m only meeting them for the first time. And not just a one-armed two second clap, either - it’s a full frontal, leaning-up wraparound embrace that’s protocol. How has this come about? As a touch-averse ambivert I feel quite alarmed and put off.

I’d rather air-kiss and backslap like the Continentals but that gets you funny sideeyed looks or cries of “assault!” now.

by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2019 2:26 PM

I hate the culture of hugging. As a college teacher, I find students often want (or begin) a hug. I try to avoid it--these days, it's always an occasion of potential danger. I hug my husband and I learned to hug my mother in later years (especially as she grew older and frailer and I didn't know whether I will see her again--I think she welcomed the physical contact, as she was a lonely widow). But, for whatever reason, I'm not wired to hug even good friends. In some cases, I wish I were (I wish I had hugged my best friend more--he died 25 years ago during the plague), but that is retrospective, because I miss him so. Hugging casual acquaintances, let alone strangers, just cheapens the meaning of a hug--I'm not talking about offering a hug to a friend in a bad situation (that's different), but as a greeting.

by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2019 2:53 PM

I agree. So uncivilized. Unless one has frottage on his mind.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2019 6:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!