Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Schwan's Truck

How are they still in business? My mom used to order from them occasionally. I remember personal deep dish pizzas, stuffed shrimp, and ice cream of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 11, 2019 6:47 PM

A local mom told me once the food is wholesome. I have no clue, but she also said it’s expensive

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2019 10:31 PM

I do wonder who would buy from them these days with meal kits and plentiful restaurant delivery

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2019 10:35 PM

Schwan's Truck Trivia: Schwan's trucks have always run on propane instead of gas or diesel. I saw a Schwan's billboard today. They must be attempting a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2019 10:41 PM

Curious how much they’re entrees are? Isn’t it just frozen stuff you reheat?

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2019 10:42 PM

I saw one a couple of months ago but they are rare nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2019 10:44 PM

One of their more popular meals, Chicken Lo Mein, is $11.99 and feeds 2. Not so bad, considering a fast food “meal” is more than that per serving.

BUT it is far from “wholesome.” One serving contains 51% of daily allowance of sodium. No thanks!

Here’s a list of the ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: YAKISOBA NOODLES (ENRICHED FLOUR [WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], SALT, POTASSIUM CARBONATE, SODIUM CARBONATE, COLORED WITH ORGANIC MALTODEXTRIN, ANNATTO EXTRACT, TURMERIC AND ORGANIC RICE CONCENTRATE), ROASTED CHICKEN TENDERS (CHICKEN BREAST MEAT, WATER, CORN OIL, BROWN SUGAR, SALT, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, GARLIC POWDER, PAPRIKA), FIRE ROASTED VEGETABLES (ONIONS, RED PEPPERS, GREEN PEPPERS), WATER, CARROTS, SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OF LESS OF: SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, SALT, ALCOHOL, WHEAT), CHICKEN BROTH, YEAST EXTRACT, CHICKEN FLAVOR [CHICKEN FAT, FLAVORING], CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SALT, HYDROLYZED SOY AND CORN PROTEIN, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, VEGETABLE OIL (PEANUT AND SUNFLOWER OIL), NATURAL FLAVORINGS, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, FERMENTED SOYBEANS, MALTODEXTRIN, CARAMEL COLOR, OYSTER EXTRACT POWDER, MUSHROOM POWDER.

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2019 10:47 PM

I grew up on this stuff in the early to mid 90s. My parents both worked and were rarely home. Thankful for it to be honest for several reasons. I looked at their catalog awhile back and was disappointed that they discontinued many good products since then. My partner grew up in the same town and ate a lot of it too as a kid who would come home to an empty house.

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2019 10:51 PM

Is this some little known chapter of À la recherche du temps perdu?

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2019 10:53 PM

I blew a driver once...not bad.

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2019 10:55 PM

Is this a local company? I looked up their website and there is no geographical info--just a list of brands that I have never seen in any part of the United States.

by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2019 11:19 PM

Just saw that this company is in Minnesota. Do they exist in any other state?

by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2019 11:20 PM

They have over 400 sales and distribution centers throughout the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 10, 2019 11:22 PM

The big fat cunt bigot next door to my parents gets deliveries. She is so fat she can't leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2019 11:46 PM

Maybe they should advertise on TLC, r13

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2019 12:32 AM

From Wikipedia, "Based in Marshall, Minnesota, the company sells frozen foods from home delivery trucks, in grocery store freezers, by mail, and to the food service industry. The company produces, markets, and distributes products developed under such brands as Schwan's, Red Baron, Freschetta, Tony's, Mrs. Smith's, Edwards, Pagoda, and Larry's."

Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2019 12:37 AM

what's a personal deep dish pizza, OP? did it have your name spelled in mozzarella on it?

by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2019 12:41 AM

It's a deep dish pizza for one person.

by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2019 12:43 AM

We had them deliver for us after getting a deep freeze for the first time. I successfully dieted on their fish steaks, I can't remember what kind of fish anymore. But they were delicious and low cal.

by Anonymousreply 18June 11, 2019 12:50 AM

I had moved to a semi-rural town in Maryland and shortly after I see a big truck out front and the driver knocks on my door and handed me a catalog - I have never heard of it before so he explained. I ended up ordering a few things to be polite but if I wanted frozen dinners I could get them at the market cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 19June 11, 2019 1:14 AM

Supermarket delivery is a recent development out here in the sticks, but we've been on Schwan's route for 30 years or more. The little pizzas are great.

by Anonymousreply 20June 11, 2019 1:21 AM

Never heard of them.

by Anonymousreply 21June 11, 2019 4:28 AM

I was tragically raped by several of the drivers on our route. This was a repeat recurrence.

by Anonymousreply 22June 11, 2019 4:59 AM

R22 Lorna?

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2019 5:15 PM

I was hospitalized last year and then had to recover at home for months. A friend sent me a care package from Schwan’s. Had never heard of them before. The stuff was good enough but I don’t feel the need to ever have anything from them again.

by Anonymousreply 24June 11, 2019 5:32 PM

There must be a few people in my neighborhood that order from them. I see their truck at least 2-3 times a week pass by my house. I had always thought they were an ice cream company.

by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2019 5:38 PM

My neighbors seem to do business with them, because I see the truck on the street quite a bit, but in 20 years no one has ever stopped to give me a catalog or anything, so I guess they don't want my business.

I think the big problem is the driver must work Hellishly long hours to try to catch people at home. I see the truck in the morning and he's still out there making deliveries after dark.

by Anonymousreply 26June 11, 2019 5:47 PM

they have been in my area for the last 30 years in W. Pa

by Anonymousreply 27June 11, 2019 5:47 PM

R26 - my brother used to stop the truck in the street while driving past them. He'd get out of his car as would the Schwans guy. He'd shop with no issue. Try flagging a driver down one day.

by Anonymousreply 28June 11, 2019 5:58 PM

50% off just for joining the mailing list

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2019 5:59 PM

In the early 90s I worked for a competitor of Schwan's. If you have a big family and cook a lot of meat, it can be a pretty convenient service. The food is certainly high quality though it is pricey. It's for the type of family that has an extra freezer in their garage that they keep stocked with steak and chops.

by Anonymousreply 30June 11, 2019 6:45 PM

Never heard of them before.

by Anonymousreply 31June 11, 2019 6:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!