Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

GOOP’s Acting Prowess: Your Thoughts?

Jezebel published a list of “actors who are bad at acting.” I can see where they are coming from with many of the actors on their list, but as much as I despise what I have seen, heard and read of Gwyneth Paltrow playing the role of herself, she has given some of my favorite film performances in some of my favorite movies, including Proof, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Sylvia, Emma, The Royal Tenenbaums and (yes) Shakespeare in Love.

GOOP is hated by most, but do you REALLY think she is a terrible actor? Honestly?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167October 10, 2019 5:03 PM

I lived Goop in Mr. Ripley.

by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2019 5:23 PM

She is not terrible. Not in any way, shape, or form is she on the same level as the laughable Mark Wahlberg.

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2019 5:29 PM

She would have been one of my favorite alltime actresses if she had just kept her horrible personality hidden from public view. I think she’s a great actor and an insufferable person.

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2019 5:35 PM

She's a very talented actress actually. Never cared about her until I saw her in Hard Eight, Proof and Sylvia. Her lesser known roles and movies are her best.

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2019 5:36 PM

She was terrific in the Ripley and Shakespeare in Love. Absolutely TERRIFIC.

I don't know what she was like in Emma, because I was completely distracted by what was going on in Jeremy Northam's crotch, and the absolutely appalling acting of Toni Collette. Now THAT was crap acting. Or just terrible miscasting. Or both.

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2019 5:41 PM

Excellent actress, gifted at comedy and drama, a rarity.

Now, if she could only act like a grounded, sensible, sane human being in real life...

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2019 5:44 PM

You don't have to be friends with her. If I didn't go to movies where I didn't care for someone's personal life- I'd see practically nothing.

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2019 5:49 PM

Yes, R7, but the question is asked about her acting ability because Jezebel listed her as an “actor who can’t act,” alongside Marky Mark, Nic Cage, Vin Diesek, Gal Gadot, and Adam Sandler.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2019 5:52 PM

She’s a terrible actress and has rabbit teeth. Her Jorts and bare feet combo in Avengers made me want to kick her out a window.

Everything she does is beyond grating. She’s the human embodiment of sand in the vagina.

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2019 5:59 PM

I’ve never seen an Avengers movie. I have little patience for lame paint-by-numbers comic book movies. I don’t think I have seen her anything since she did Glee, but a hell of a lot of her movies prior to that time were brilliant and she was the best part of many of them. To pull of roles as emotionally and tonally different as Emma (lighthearted and sweet), Proof (paranoid and anxious), Sylvia (bipolar?), Ripley (Naive but intelligent and bold), and Tenenbaums (convincingly airheaded and off her rocker) takes real talent for understanding and interpreting characters. I don’t care what she looks like. For years (90s-2000s), she and Cate Blanchett were turning in incredible performances in really interesting movies.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2019 6:04 PM

In "Seven" she pulled off the head in the box scene to perfection. She should've retired on that high point.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2019 6:05 PM

Bland.

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2019 6:07 PM

I hated her Oscar acceptance speech (crying, etc.). Her pink dress (chest area) did not fit her as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2019 8:42 PM

I'd agree with most of that list actually. Goop is better than most. ie she can act beyond pursing her lips.

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2019 8:50 PM

Someone needs to dress down GOOP exactly the way Emma was reprimanded at the end of this clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2019 8:51 PM

I really don't have any disdain for her. She's very good in all the movies everyone else mentioned, especially "Ripley." The GOOP nonsense proves she's a self-involved nut AND a smart businesswoman.

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2019 8:53 PM

She isn't a terrible actor by any stretch. Matter of fact, she's very talented and one of the few from her generation that can be said about. Nothing wrong with admitting it. Yes, she's insufferable as a person, just like Kevin Spacey is a horrible human being. But calling them bad actors would be a bold-faced lie.

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2019 8:56 PM

Loved her performance in 'Two Lovers'. And she, along with Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey acted circles around Brad Pitt in S7even

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2019 8:58 PM

She was also really funny on "Web Therapy" in a self-mocking parody of herself as a con artist.

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2019 8:58 PM

She is a very good actress.

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2019 8:59 PM

I just went to the GOOP site out of curiosity. It reads like a parody of its own reputation.

On the home page is an article about detoxing the liver. This is how it opens:

““I have found that the majority of diseases that manifest physically originate in the etheric energy body.””

by Anonymousreply 21June 8, 2019 8:59 PM

She is a pretty terrific actress. I also loved her in two lovers. That was a fantastic performance. But she was great in a number of other movies too. Very versatile, very funny in comedies. She was iconic in SIL, and at the time, she really knocked the supermodels out of the magazines covers, and movie stars back on. I don't know what happened to her. I still love her. I am sorry she derailed so spectacularly, because she really was a 1st class talent. And I knew her briefly before she hit stardom, so she is the most famous person I ve ever known , and I have a sweet spot for her in spite of.

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2019 9:11 PM

I always thought she would have made the perfect Daisy in a film version of the Great Gatsby. Too bad it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2019 9:13 PM

R22 What was her personality like when you knew her? Now that I know what I know, I can’t imagine her ever being anything close to humble or non-condescending.

Stellar early career, though.

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2019 9:15 PM

I’ve had a very high opinion of her acting since I saw her in Flesh and Bone in 1993.

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2019 9:17 PM

[quote] I always thought she would have made the perfect Daisy in a film version of the Great Gatsby.

Yes! I have thought the same thing. She's perfect for Daisy in the Great Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2019 9:17 PM

Same R25. OP, she was nothing like her public persona. Very shy, very introvert, she was tall, toweling over most People and uncomfortable, awkward socially, and the cleanest looking person I have ever met. Her skin seemed almost too scrubbed. There was something almost hostile in her demeanor. I would have NEVER thought she would become an actress.

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2019 9:24 PM

R27 She used to have adorable freckles but she laser “scrubbed” those suckers away. It took away a lot of what little personality her face had.

That’s an interesting way to describe someone...shy, introverted, awkward AND hostile. It makes her sound like an incel.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2019 9:27 PM

Toweling, not toweling. She was so shy it actually made you feel a but sorry for her. She seemed very pure

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2019 9:28 PM

She would have made a good Daisy in DAISY MILER as well. Certainly better than the dreadful Ms. Shepherd.

She's a fine actress onscreen. I gather she did PROOF onstage in London and was good, but not stellar. Not a huger fan of Mary Louise Parker, but that was one play where she excelled.

I enjoyed Paltrow in EMMA, though I'll have to agree that Northam was so incredibly handsome and sexy. Less said about Collette the better. That unfortunate casting had to be the result of the heavy hand of Weinstein since Collette had just done MURIEL'S WEDDING which Miramax distributed in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2019 9:31 PM

Link to jeremy's incredible sexiness please ?

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2019 9:35 PM

I think Toni Collette has also proved that she is very talented and more diverse in performance ability than most would have expected.

by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2019 9:36 PM

I loved the first Iron Man movie and the scene where she pulls the arch reactor out Downey's chest. Amazing acting from both.

Yes she is very versatile and totally disappears into a character. She also is lucky that she got to be in some cinematic gems. I never knew why she didn't work with PTA again after her amazing performance as Clementine in Hard Eight. PTA wanted her again for the roller girl part in Boogie Nights, but she was afraid to be type casted as a hooker.

I don't think I have seen her in anything where she didn't nail the role.

by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2019 9:41 PM

Obnoxious though she may be, she is a very good actor. Shakespeare In Love will always be one of my all time favourite films, I adored her in it (yes, MARY!) and she was fantastic in The Talented Mr Ripley. Even though she is a totally self involved cunt of a person, I kind of like her for it. She backs herself and doesn't try to change who she is to appease people. Or that's how I read her anyway.

by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2019 9:41 PM

Yay. This thread has substantiated my opinion of her acting and made me feel like it’s Jezebel that’s crazy, not me. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2019 9:43 PM

She is a fantastic actress. The writers were letting their dislike of her actual personality cloud their judgement. There have been many movies I've seen of hers where I completely forgot she was the actress in the role - The Royal Temmembaums, Proof, running with scissors - all great nuanced performances. She isn't someone who, like Angelina jolie or Julia Roberts, act pretty much the same in every role.

by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2019 9:46 PM

She shouldn 't be on this list OP. Unsufferable yes, but a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2019 9:50 PM

Every primary and secondary actor in Ripley nailed it, but her performance is the one that added emotional depth and made the movie really upsetting. All the other characters were unlikable and all you wanted was for Marge to figure out what the fuck was going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2019 9:51 PM

Here you go R31.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 8, 2019 9:51 PM

Sliding Doors still haunts me..

by Anonymousreply 40June 8, 2019 9:55 PM

So charming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 8, 2019 9:58 PM

I was hoping for an abundant bulge clip, but thanks R39

by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2019 10:04 PM

I just turned on Sliding Doors. Whatever happened to Jeanne Tripplehorn? I loved her.

by Anonymousreply 43June 8, 2019 10:10 PM

Is that the real movie R41 or a spoof for red nose Day ?

by Anonymousreply 44June 8, 2019 10:15 PM

She absolutely deserved her Oscar for Shakespeare in Love. That performance was brilliant. Her performance in Emma was equally wonderful. I never knew anything about her back then; maybe the less you know about her, the easier it is to see her talent.

by Anonymousreply 45June 8, 2019 10:18 PM

Where was Salma Hayek on this list! Did they only have it in for the white girls?

by Anonymousreply 46June 8, 2019 10:21 PM

“Best in show for the Americans attempting the over-the-pond accents, awarded by British Actors in LA, are Meryl Streep, Gwyneth Paltrow and Renée Zellweger. Streep’s Margaret Thatcher (4.9/5) in 2011’s “The Iron Lady” was so convincing that her performance earned her an Oscar for lead actress. In “Shakespeare in Love,” Gwyneth Paltrow plays Shakespeare’s lover Viola de Lesseps, a role deserving of a 4.7/5 score (and an Oscar win). For the titular role of Bridget Jones in the 2001 film, the Oscar-nominated Zellweger was awarded a 4.5/5.”

by Anonymousreply 47June 8, 2019 10:38 PM

Brits seem to live her English accent. I am watching Sliding Doors now and it sounds as fake to me as Tyrion Lannister’s, but she sounded much better in Emma and Shakespeare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2019 10:42 PM

English people think that I am a native.

by Anonymousreply 49June 8, 2019 10:43 PM

She did a really funny turn in View From The Top. Always loved her as an actress, wish she did some more. Very talented!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 8, 2019 11:21 PM

R49 Didn’t the master of the English language leave you with his second-best bed, Anne?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 8, 2019 11:25 PM

She's quite good, actually. Her tragedy is that she's a very talented actress who is also an awful human being, and she wants much more to be loved by the world for her terrible personality and crackpot lifestyle rather than for her quite fine acting.

by Anonymousreply 52June 8, 2019 11:29 PM

When you’re conscious of what you do...I think that that’s when you become self-conscious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 8, 2019 11:53 PM

Jezebel is just needing attention by playing contrarian. Stop feeding the troll. Is OP a jezebel intern trying to force traffic into that godawful site? Pathetic, jezebel sucks, is out of touch and just plain corny. Eye roll.

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2019 12:18 AM

That Jezebel article was clickbait, and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2019 12:37 AM

She gave an epic performance in Sliding Doors.

by Anonymousreply 56June 9, 2019 12:42 AM

I remembered Sliding Doors as pretty mediocre but someone mentioned it above and I watched it today and it turns out that it is really very mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 57June 9, 2019 12:43 AM

I don't think she is a GREAT actress, but she is not terrible. I don't really love her movies, even Shakespeare in Love, and I have nothing against her like the hordes who seem to hate her. Something about her onscreen just doesn't interest me. I also have never been to Goop, so something about her personally just doesn't interest me either.

by Anonymousreply 58June 9, 2019 12:45 AM

That was sarcasm. I thought the movie itself was stupid and turned it off after 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 59June 9, 2019 12:46 AM

[quote]like the hordes who seem to hate her.

So given that this is a rare positive thread about GOOP, can I ask why she's hated? She's not a hateful right-winger or Republican and is in fact a consistent lefty, despite her privilege so it can't be her politics; She's not homophobic, xenophobic or any phobic that I know of; her only major celebrity spats have been with former friends Madge, Winona Ryder and J-Lo and I don't think they're popular enough to turn public opinion against her; she's not racist. Surely the hate can't be just because she's a snob? Because there are worse things someone can be.

by Anonymousreply 60June 9, 2019 9:02 AM

She's fine. People don't hate-hate her. More like love-to-hate her. Very good actress, very shrewd business woman. Goop is okay. Not my taste, but a good read. She's constantly in the news, so, she'll be remembered as a pop culture icon of the millenium .

by Anonymousreply 61June 9, 2019 9:35 AM

I think she is deliberately saying stupid things so she can get herself some headlines and promotion for Goop. And it seems to be working since her business is growing. It's all media promotion strategy.

I never really cared for Goop, but I did loan a cookbook of hers from the library once and she had some nice recipes, including a Korean Slaw which I make quite often at home.

I will always love her as an actress, I think she is one of the best. Very versatile and talented.

by Anonymousreply 62June 9, 2019 9:59 AM

R60 She is just almost unbelievably pretentious, but it does seem to be her nature. One example:

“We have great dinner parties at which everyone sits around talking about politics, history, art and literature—all this peppered with really funny jokes. But back in America, I was at a party and a girl looked at me and said, ‘Oh, my God! Are those Juicy jeans that you’re wearing?’ and I thought, I can’t stay here. I have to get back to Europe.”

She’s also a know it all, and she takes it upon herself to profess to the world how to live better lives. This is what she has done with GOOP, which publishes pure fiction and imagination as health advice that people live by because she was a movie star. She went through a phase of telling the press all about how important it is to steam her vagina at an expensive spa. Long before GOOP, she was blabbering all about macrobiotics and telling the world that she lived a macrobiotic lifestyle and everyone else should, etc. Years later, around the time her mother started doing Boniva osteoporosis drug commercials, she started complaining that she has osteopenia and that she believed her macrobiotic diet was the reason. You’d think she might have learned to think twice about radical health fads that could be harmful. Instead, she built a business on them.

She published a series of articles claiming that evidence we manifest our own lives has been proven scientifically through a pseudoscientist’s claims he documented simply praying/meditating over a glass of water rearranges the molecules in any way you want.

She talks about her children’s privileges, bragging that she has hired French and Spanish nannies so her kids would be fluent in those languages so that they can live a more European (read: better) lifestyle.

When she and her husband broke up, she went on a tour to tell everyone how to break up better. It wasn’t a divorce, she insisted—no, not her. She wouldn’t do that. That is hard on the children. What she did was “conscious uncoupling”...and here is how YOU can break up better, like I do!

And somehow despite having been an A-list Oscar-winning movie star, she’s a pathological name dropper. You can easily find plenty of quotes about her bragging about Jay-Z and Beyonce being her friends, but she does it in such a strange way that makes it clear she only cares who they are. If she talks about Brad Pitt or even Harvey Weinstein, they are just “Brad” or “Harvey”—you know, familiar human beings. When she talks about Beyonce, it’s, “I was with Beyonce and—Beyonce, you know, she and I are great friends—and she and Jay-Z—Shawn Carter, that’s his real name—we were hanging out on their yacht in the Med and Jay, he said the funniest thing about the organic avocados I had imported from Corsica...” That sort of thing. She’s just extra-extra-extraordinarily pretentious and it sucks the life out of every public appearance she makes. She has been given everything most people would ever ask for in life, and she really loves to drone on about it while faking humility and simultaneously, somehow, bragging that her life choices, her children and her exes are much, much better than yours.

by Anonymousreply 63June 9, 2019 9:59 AM

R60 “I’d rather smoke crack than eat cheese from a tin.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 9, 2019 10:02 AM

Well.. She does live a better life than all of us... And her boyfriends are still better than ours so... And R63, if you are Winona (which I know you are), just get over yourself already. If Gwendoline hadn't taken the part, it would have been Julia anyways. Take your meds, bitch, and move on

by Anonymousreply 65June 9, 2019 10:07 AM

DL Fave David Muir is letting the world know what we should hate about G(oo)P.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 9, 2019 10:09 AM

I’m close to the common woman...just, you know, above her. And I’m lucky to be up here, where I can see the big picture from a bird’s eye view, see what the common woman is doing wrong so that I can avoid it. I know I am lucky to be above it, and that’s why I share with all the common women what I know, what it’s like to be up here. Maybe one day they can see from these same heights. You know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 9, 2019 10:15 AM

I would crawl over a mile of horse poo just to lick the tip of Affleck 's phat pole. .. Lucky bitch

by Anonymousreply 68June 9, 2019 10:19 AM

Gwyneth is very down to earth. She did the “food stamp challenge,” spending only $29 per week on food to find out what it’s like being poor. Her personal chef told her to try it, and so she thought that that would be a good way to relate to the poor.

That’s all true. So it’s not that she is a horrible, conscienceless person. She’s not Aaron Schock or OJ Simpson or Donald Trump. Nothing like that. She’s just a kind of Marie-Antoinette-meet-Paris-Hilton princess/heiress hybrid who thinks she is being sensible and offering good advice and solutions to the less privileged for self-betterment. Instead of “No bread? Why, then, have a lovely cake!” it’s “Many people who are not as networked as I may not be aware of the value of steaming one’s vagina...but if you’re going to do it, make sure that you go to the best spa. It’s difficult being a working mother, and so we must take time for ourselves and our health. A good vagina steaming is important to living a balanced life, no different than a good wine and cheese pairing.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 9, 2019 10:25 AM

shes excelled playing rich, thin white female characters.

by Anonymousreply 70June 9, 2019 10:28 AM

She didn’t know she was in a Spider-Man movie. Genuinely clueless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 9, 2019 10:30 AM

But she speaks Spanish better than anyone. GOOP Español, bidges!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 9, 2019 10:33 AM

she studied acting her entire life, but nothing else. She crashed and burned because of it.

by Anonymousreply 73June 9, 2019 10:40 AM

Her Spanish is the Spain kind of Spanish, not Latin American.

by Anonymousreply 74June 9, 2019 10:42 AM

The spiderman bit was probably shot in the middle of an avengers shoot, in a less than a day, in front of green screens , so I don't blame her for not knowing it would be used in another movie of the franchise. It's not like it's a big gig for her, that she had to audition for. And yes she lives her life on another scale, so why pretend ? Do we expect her to pretend she someone who makes 500k a year ? She's fine, spare yourselves for worthier fights

by Anonymousreply 75June 9, 2019 10:42 AM

Gwyneth speaks Castellano i.e. Castilian Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 76June 9, 2019 10:46 AM

R74 She’s a continental EUROPEAN. You don’t think she’d speak like people in the...choke...New World, do you? Heaven forbid!

She is pretentious as fuck, but “crashed and burned,” R73? Her mother is an actor. Her father was a director. She got into the family business and won the best actress Oscar. She then switched gears to starting up a company and supposedly is worth up to $140 million now. I don’t know in what world that would be considered a crash.

by Anonymousreply 77June 9, 2019 10:48 AM

Yeah, why is GOOP, the site, so successful? You'd think people with that kind of money would be smarter?

by Anonymousreply 78June 9, 2019 11:01 AM

She’s a good actress. I like watching her.

by Anonymousreply 79June 9, 2019 11:31 AM

Spot on R63 - and the truth is she appears to be a dysfunctional person who is rationalizing away her dysfunction. Her "conscious uncoupling" and her meaningless peripatetic relationships are in now way good for her children, the roots of which likely stem from her own dysfunctional childhood. Some people need nannies, but nanny-ing is not preferable to mothering or fathering but she'll try to convince you otherwise.

She went to school in NYC with some people I know. She's not bright. Surely, that's not good for her children either, but hiding out in Europe must convince her she is insulated from that reality.

by Anonymousreply 80June 9, 2019 7:57 PM

I think she is a good actress. It's her horrendous personality that makes her so hated.

by Anonymousreply 81June 9, 2019 8:01 PM

How is 'conscious uncoupling' bad for the children?

R80, you sound more like a nutcase than Paltrow could ever be.

by Anonymousreply 82June 9, 2019 8:09 PM

I just watched Perfect Murder, and she was great in it. It's funny now because she's so unlikeable and all but retired ... back then she was an exceptional actress. If you had told me that the annoying over-accented bad actress playing Meredith Loag in Ripley, meaning Blanchett who was god awful in the movie, was going to be be considered the real artiste and great historical amazing actress and Paltrow would be called a hack or whatever shucking bs products ... I would have been shocked.

by Anonymousreply 83June 9, 2019 8:48 PM

She’s low-intelligence and not well-educated... but extremely arrogant and believes she’s an expert on almost every topic.

by Anonymousreply 84June 9, 2019 9:46 PM

Blanchett was always a mediocre actress at best. Tony Collette and Jacki Weaver are the real talents in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 85June 9, 2019 11:33 PM

R84 speaking of that I’ll never understand how coming from Spence, and with her parents, she couldn’t even get into Vassar. And actually was rejected everywhere until Michael Douglas got her into SB.

I went to a school like that and anyone with a pulse could get into Vassar or NYU (it’s harder now but for people around her age and maybe up to 10 years younger...)

How fucking dumb could she be? Jesus

by Anonymousreply 86June 10, 2019 12:02 AM

Amy Adams is on their list? And Angelina Jolie? What a juvenile way to tell the world about actors and actresses whom you dislike, which has nothing to do with their acting abilities.

by Anonymousreply 87June 10, 2019 12:11 AM

I doubt Gwyneth is as dumb as r86 is making out. For one, she learned to speak Castilian Spanish as an adult. Most Americans can't learn a second language and remain monolingual their entire lives.

by Anonymousreply 88June 11, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote]r13 I hated her Oscar acceptance speech... Her pink dress (chest area) did not fit her, as well.

[bold][italic]Lock 'er up!

by Anonymousreply 89June 11, 2019 3:17 PM

She's not dumb. She's got a sizably decent vocabulary and some wit about her. Educated private schools. She is not stupid. You could see that when she went around Spain with Batali. But she's vapid and clueless.

by Anonymousreply 90June 11, 2019 4:59 PM

Also from her clear from her interview on BBC Hardtalk that she's not unintelligent. R86 just projecting.

by Anonymousreply 91June 12, 2019 3:16 AM

I love Shallow Hal and View From The Top. Hush is worth the watch for Jessica Lange's ott character.

by Anonymousreply 92June 12, 2019 9:42 AM

Just watched Riipley again. She was awesome. But my god how didn't they figure in some gay sex in the bathtub scene? A drunken make out or grab or roll about? Knowing Damon, I'm sure he would have been more than down.

by Anonymousreply 93June 12, 2019 6:48 PM

She thinks she’s a lot smarter than she actually is.

by Anonymousreply 94June 12, 2019 6:51 PM

R86 here — I agree she doesn’t come across as dumb, but I just can’t wrap my mind around how she was not able to get in anywhere, because let me tell you, coming from a school like that, it’s nearly impossible to do — no matter how dumb you are, or how much you blow off work , or a combo of both. So something is off there. Honestly I don’t get it either.

by Anonymousreply 95June 12, 2019 7:31 PM

Maybe she didn’t excel academically and was better suited to the arts and other interests? Some very intelligent people don’t perform well in school. Some don’t care about school. I can imagine a pretty, wealthy daughter of two artists might have just been airy fairy or flaky with academics, and that woukdn’t necessarily make her an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 96June 13, 2019 12:28 AM

Jesus H, you Goop interns are shameless. Literally everything posted here is bullshit. I have never, LITERALLY EVER heard anyone say anything good about her when they’ve actually met her. They’ve all said she’s monumentally stupid and dull and will fuck practically anyone. Oh, and the poster upthread who said she was dumb but thought she was smart? Nailed it. You want to know what she’s like? Watch Mira Sorvino play her on Modern Family.

by Anonymousreply 97June 13, 2019 4:05 AM

[quote]I have never, LITERALLY EVER heard anyone say anything good about her when they’ve actually met her

That's actually not true, most people find her charming and nice.

by Anonymousreply 98June 13, 2019 5:24 AM

Hello Winona r97

by Anonymousreply 99June 13, 2019 12:58 PM

Gwynnie's best role by far was playing a head in a box.

by Anonymousreply 100June 13, 2019 1:08 PM

[quote]They’ve all said she’s monumentally stupid and dull and will fuck practically anyone

r97 is exactly like that Jezebel article. Unable to set their blind hatred aside and judge her objectively. Which is what we're trying to do in this thread. Unless you have some info we don't, no, Gwyneth Paltrow does not have a reputation of a Hollywood slut, or someone who practically sleeps with everyone. And no, BBC and NYT journalists did not think she is stupid.BBC HARDtalk's Stephen Sackur is probably the toughest, smartest interviewer (no softballs like US media) and he found her a formidable interview.

Let's not lose focus here, Gwyneth Paltrow comes across as very unlikeable for some reason, but it's not because she's stupid, untalented or promiscuous.

by Anonymousreply 101June 13, 2019 1:24 PM

I watched Two Lovers recently and they really could have thrown her a Supporting nod for it. She totally disappears into the role

by Anonymousreply 102June 13, 2019 1:39 PM

R101 no, it's because she's all of those things and acts like Lady Astor when she flunked out of UC Santa Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 103June 13, 2019 1:46 PM

I agree, r102. Which makes me wonder how many Oscar nods she's lost due to her personality.

by Anonymousreply 104June 13, 2019 2:03 PM

I thought she was pretty good in some roles (The Talented Mr. Ripley, Seven) and mannered and silly in others (Emma, Shakespeare in Love). Her personality was always more amusing than annoying, and as an actor it didn't really register as odd in any case, but as a seller of snake oil, it's less appealing.

by Anonymousreply 105June 13, 2019 2:31 PM

She's a good actor and (probably) a vapid, egocentric snob. But I don't have to live with her so who gives a shit? P.S. Her mother, Bylthe Danner, is Fantastic. She should get on her knees and thank whatever gods there be for inheriting the smallest portion of her mother's brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 106June 13, 2019 2:32 PM

A massive part of the hatred for Gwynnie Poo-Poo is the fact that she yawned and strolled into Hollywood fame and wealth and stardom due to nepotism. Spielberg isn't her father, but he might as well be. Bruce Paltrow and he were as close as brothers. She grew up referring to Spielberg as her uncle for christs sake.

And Rooney and Kate Mara catch hell because of the NFL connections being used to parlay into Hollywood careers!

by Anonymousreply 107June 13, 2019 5:48 PM

I don't know much about her personal life, but how many guys make her a whore/slut? 5, 10?

All I do know is she was fucking Brad in his prime, and I'm jelly.

by Anonymousreply 108June 13, 2019 6:10 PM

People don’t hate her for her dating history, r108. If anything they hate her in spite of it. What irks people is GOOP and that she says dumb shit

by Anonymousreply 109June 13, 2019 6:12 PM

She's been called a whore on this thread, dear.

by Anonymousreply 110June 13, 2019 6:17 PM

Goop was good in Ripley and in a movie called Flesh and Bone. Possibly in other movies too which I haven't seen.

by Anonymousreply 111June 13, 2019 6:19 PM

It's unfortunate though that she won for one of her least interesting roles over an actress who gave the performance of the year that year (Cate Blanchett in the first Elizabeth).

by Anonymousreply 112June 13, 2019 6:22 PM

R110 but no one has mentioned Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 113June 14, 2019 12:11 AM

harvey propped her career up, probably for a few reasons all personally motivated.

he wanted to fuck her, i assume he did

her connection to uncle morty 'spielberg' and michael douglas, both successful producers

her connection with brad pitt, people still fantasize about them being a couple.

by Anonymousreply 114June 16, 2019 2:53 PM

[quote]he wanted to fuck her, i assume he did

This is another one. People want her to have fucked Harvey so they can put her down. Never mind the quasi-avuncular relationship from childhood, reporting the harassment to Brad Pitt who confronted Harvey and her account being one of the reasons Harvey went down. This, to me, doesn't fit the narrative of someone who fucked Harvey. But people are desperate for her to be a whore so they can knock her off her high horse. Men have been using it to cut down to size women with airs for millennia. If she's out of reach, just call her a whore.

by Anonymousreply 115June 16, 2019 3:08 PM

Off the top of my head, Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck, Luke Wilson, Chris Martin and Brad Falchuk. Dated three, married two. Still countable on one hand. Most incompetent slut ever. Meanwhile, Julia Roberts' list goes into double digits.

by Anonymousreply 116June 16, 2019 3:14 PM

If your "godfather" is Steven Speilberg, the last thing you need to do to make it in Hollywood is fuck Whalestein.

by Anonymousreply 117June 16, 2019 3:42 PM

Oh, please. I would have fucked Harvey for an Oscar in a heartbeat. I’m not much of a Gwyneth fan, but I don’t blame her for jumping on a good opportunity. Even if the opportunity was fat and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 118June 16, 2019 3:47 PM

Because of her parents, she's ultra entitled Hollywood royalty and can live a life of extreme wealth and privilege most only dream of.

She tries to be so laid back and "ethereal" and holistic but only the extremely wealthy have the time and finances to adhere to her proposed lifestyle.

In truth, she really is a complete control freak. She can't let go of control enough to be truly funny.

She's an adequate actress but it always feels like she's just playing a slightly different version of herself.

by Anonymousreply 119June 16, 2019 4:04 PM

So the "hate" is really just envy?

by Anonymousreply 120June 16, 2019 4:14 PM

Absolutely not- Despite being irritating as fuck, she is a wonderful actress.

I LOVED her performance in The Talented Mr Ripley- Jude Law got all the accolades but I felt that she matched him scene for scene.

She was excellent in Proof and Sylvia, and I loved her in The Royal Tannenbaums.

I don't think she has ever not given a good performance (or better)

by Anonymousreply 121June 16, 2019 4:22 PM

She should play Claire Dane's sister. Perfect casting.

by Anonymousreply 122June 16, 2019 4:49 PM

While she was on top, she saw other leggy blondes Theron and Blanchett fly by her and soar to the top. This coincided with GP falling down a rung due to some bad movies and losing her star power and her poisonous personality. She became -- and this is truth -- an absolutely despicable human being with her fame and success. She's admitted as much recently. But even she won't accept or admit just how toxic and hateful she was at her peak. Snobby, arrogant, rude, demanding, condescending. A right bitch. When she went to London people in Hollywood were drinking champagne and celebrating and hoping she'd never return to the Hollywood sphere.

In this town, you can go from flame hot to ice cold in a year or less. A few years ago when GP announced she was done working so much and didn't care about acting the real reason is because the roles had dried up.

by Anonymousreply 123June 16, 2019 7:30 PM

[quote]her connection with brad pitt

Pitt rather used her and her connections to high profile Hollywood movers and shakers. That's why he was mad she dumped him. He always lashed onto famous women. He started out in tinseltown as a rent boy fffs.

by Anonymousreply 124June 17, 2019 1:10 AM

your timing is off, pitt had finished a few high profile roles before being paired with goop in 'seven', his career was white hot .

by Anonymousreply 125June 17, 2019 1:42 AM

So then why did Goop dump him?

by Anonymousreply 126June 17, 2019 1:59 AM

shes a stuck up bitch who thought she can do better. the rumor is she was dumped for fucking viggo mortensen

by Anonymousreply 127June 17, 2019 2:18 AM

She dumped Pitt because he kept screwing around on her.

by Anonymousreply 128June 17, 2019 3:07 AM

GOOP is a phenomenal actress. People be hating because they don't like her personality or worldview. Whatever. At least she isn't a fright winger. She can't help it that she exudes perfection.

by Anonymousreply 129June 17, 2019 3:32 AM

[quote]On the homepage is an article about detoxing the liver. This is how it opens: “I have found that the majority of diseases that manifest physically originate in the etheric energy body.”

This kind of pseudoscience gibberish is CATNIP to white women! You CANNOT convince them that it is fact-free bullshit for all the money in the world!

by Anonymousreply 130June 17, 2019 5:20 AM

[Quote] But even she won't accept or admit just how toxic and hateful she was at her peak. Snobby, arrogant, rude, demanding, condescending. A right bitch.

Any particular stories about her behavior?

[Quote] He always lashed onto famous women.

And always with the matchy outfits.

by Anonymousreply 131June 17, 2019 5:21 AM

Yes, Pitt dated her for connections, but I distinctly remember hearing that she dumped him because he wasn't intelligent or intellectual enough. He couldn't hold a conversation in the kind of sophisticated circles she moved in and much of the witty banter at those parties would go over his head. Honestly this seems like a plausible reason why a snob like her would dump Brad Pitt. Especially after hanging out with Viggo Mortensen, the prospect of going back home to Pitt would seem less and less appealing.

by Anonymousreply 132June 17, 2019 10:56 AM

Paltrow and Jolie were both out of Pitt's league in different ways and dumped him for that same reason: not compatible with GOOP's posh image or Angie's Mother Teresa aspirations. He'd found his true level with Anniston who's a bland, unpretentious, non-thrill seeking, girl next door who was happy to smoke pot with him and hang out with friends.

by Anonymousreply 133June 17, 2019 11:08 AM

Aniston bored Pitt to death. He said himself, "Every night sitting on a couch with a joint in my hand watching tv wasn't what I wanted from my life."

Aniston is stoner who can eat pizza and watch nancy myers movies 24 hours a day.

For a simpleton dunce like Pitt, who does have other pursuits and longs to be an intellectual, Jolie was like dating Joan of Arc in terms of fascination and her lifestyle and things she was doing. Now, Im sure Pitt soon found out that a drinking blood wasn't all it's cracked up to be!

by Anonymousreply 134June 17, 2019 6:23 PM

hes a personality leech, a farmboy type. paltrow, anniston and jolie were great for his career and made him more interesting. he was forced to dump juliette lewis when the big time beckoned, shes a scientologist and not pretty enough for the image he needed.

by Anonymousreply 135June 18, 2019 12:59 AM

I never knew what Goop liked about Pitt in the first place. It doesn't take much to find out he is dumb as a door nail. And she didn't really need him for her career, since she was a Weinstein darling, had connections, was good looking, had talent in spades and wanted to mostly do indie work anyway. She did Paul Thomas Anderson's first movie Hard Eight which was totally far off Hollywood - and she was absolutely brilliant in it.

by Anonymousreply 136June 18, 2019 1:12 AM

This is what she liked, clearly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 18, 2019 1:13 AM

Ans then he went Single White Female on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138June 18, 2019 1:13 AM

Spooky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 18, 2019 1:14 AM

not that deep, they had the hair done by the same stylist who has a signature look.

i miss the 90s

by Anonymousreply 140June 18, 2019 1:22 AM

It’s a whole meme, R140. He SWFs his ladies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141June 18, 2019 1:24 AM

R21 ““I have found that the majority of diseases that manifest physically originate in the etheric energy body.””

Everybody knows this. How else would you say it? Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 142June 18, 2019 1:28 AM

She got her hair cut for Sliding Doors, when she had to play two different story lines her character Helen went through. One character dumped her cheating BF and started a new life - with among other things cutting her hair off and dye it blond.

by Anonymousreply 143June 18, 2019 1:41 AM

Notice how uninteresting Pitt is when he's single, which he's never been? The man has no personality. Imagine how bored Jolie must've been with him after much more exciting men like Billy-Bob Thornton, Jonny Lee Miller and Colin Farrell. But Pitt was at the peak of his beauty when he was with Goop and that helped her with the A-list image when she was essentially more of an indie actress.

by Anonymousreply 144June 18, 2019 4:59 AM

^And Jenny Shimizu.

by Anonymousreply 145June 18, 2019 5:50 AM

Brad is not boring, and neither is Jen. They both had a lot in common, especially architecture. After crazy ass Angie, I'll bet Jen doesn't look so bad. And all that money, without 500 kids.

by Anonymousreply 146June 18, 2019 5:59 AM

[quote]They both had a lot in common, [b]especially architecture[/b].

LMAO! 😂 😆 😝 🤣

Sure, Jan Angie said he's "a poseur" and unlikeable as she may be, she's right about that. Pretending to be an expert in architecture when you didn't even graduate college? Who does that? By the way, that story from his official bio about leaving college just 2 credits shy of graduation is total PR B.S.!

by Anonymousreply 147June 18, 2019 7:34 AM

Didn't Pitt also date Robin Givens?

by Anonymousreply 148June 18, 2019 7:36 AM

^When he was nobody and she was known for being Mike Tyson's ex.

by Anonymousreply 149June 18, 2019 7:38 AM

Do we know the real reason that led to the "conscious uncoupling" with the Coldplay guy?

by Anonymousreply 150June 18, 2019 7:39 AM

R150 I just assumed cheating was involved. Falchuk is messy according to the Glee threads.

by Anonymousreply 151June 18, 2019 7:59 AM

Yes. Goop dumped Brad Pitt because he was too stupid for her. Because she was finishing her post doc in behavioral economics at the LSE, and he... well he just didn’t measure up to her depth and deep desire to study human nature and make the world a better place.

He fucked around on her. A lot.

by Anonymousreply 152June 20, 2019 12:44 AM

Nicolas Cage and Gwyneth Paltrow can both act and do not belong on any such list. They are perhaps annoying or weird people.

by Anonymousreply 153June 20, 2019 1:13 AM

Why did Pitt and Goop split?

Watch the movie Great Expectations and see her and Ethan Hawke. That's your clue.

by Anonymousreply 154June 20, 2019 4:23 PM

^ Huh?

by Anonymousreply 155June 20, 2019 4:39 PM

She admits her dad warned her about becoming an asshole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 23, 2019 4:33 AM

Brad Pitt is actually smart and funny. But when you are that good looking, everything is handed to you. He was remarkably charming to me, and I'm not in a position to do anything for him, except pass him a joint..

by Anonymousreply 157July 1, 2019 7:55 PM

#156 is that GOOP? God she seems like a clone of Heidi Klum!!!

by Anonymousreply 158July 1, 2019 11:23 PM

[Quote] Brad Pitt is actually smart and funny.

Are you sure it's not the weed talking??

by Anonymousreply 159July 2, 2019 4:54 AM

She's not really dynamic in her roles/screen presence. She's kind of just...there and rather docile.

by Anonymousreply 160July 2, 2019 5:16 AM

So people's problem with Gwyneth is because she thinks she's better than you.

by Anonymousreply 161August 25, 2019 4:24 PM

Im not a huge fan but I wouldn't say she's bad.

by Anonymousreply 162August 25, 2019 4:27 PM

She's quite good at comedy, and she was actually quite good at drama once upon a time. I remember seeing her in the little remembered film "Flesh and Bone" with Dennis Quaid, Meg Ryan, and James Caan, and thinking she was better than any of them and a real up-and-comer.

Her problem was always that she was much more interested in being famous than in acting, and she shifted her career to become an influencer. She's had some success at this, but also lots of ridicule because people think she's pretentious (which she is) and a snob (which she also is). She did the Iron Man and Avengers films only for the last few years because she is lazy and they are huge cash cows for her. I am curious what she will do for acting (if she does anything) now that they are over and she is too old to be cast as the girlfriend any more--the best she could hope for is Aunt May.

It's funny how much many actresses would much rather be influencers than actors, if they had to choose: Gwyneth, Reese Witherspoon, Blake Lively. I am certain Meghan Markle married Prince Harry primarily because she wanted to be a huge influencer and just wasn't having much luck with "Suits" bringing her to that point of public visibility.

It's like what all these women really want is to be the Queen Bee back in high school cliques, telling everyone else what to wear and what to say 9and with some of them, what to read and where to have vacations and what to buy). Their icon is Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 163August 25, 2019 5:14 PM

Again, she's a decent actress but an annoying person.

by Anonymousreply 164August 28, 2019 5:41 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 165October 5, 2019 8:36 AM

She once called me whatt traish!

by Anonymousreply 166October 10, 2019 4:47 PM

But Marky Mark the thug asshole does belong on that list.

by Anonymousreply 167October 10, 2019 5:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!