Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

(Poor) Kay Kendall Appreciation Thread

Loved by all (except perhaps Lilli Palmer, after she stole her husband), Mrs. Rex Harrison #3 was gifted, beautiful, and died of lukemia at age 32.

Here we lay tributes at the feet of a fallen goddess.

[italic]And so it begins...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 1:32 AM

Beautiful and talented. RIP dear Lady.

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2019 11:06 PM

I try to appreciate her without the haze of sentiment and nostalgia.

She looked like a model (except for her nose which was a little too long).

She was a comedienne and surrounded herself with homosexuals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2019 11:23 PM

This article has some fabulous pictures of poor Kay

1. alongside balding husband Rex Harrison

2. and with Lauren Bacall at that kitchen-sink thing called 'Look Back In Anger'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2019 12:28 AM

I thought Palmer was relieved that Kay came along to take Rex off her hands. She had had enough of him at that point.

by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2019 12:29 AM

Lilli Palmer (nee Peiser) was a hard-nosed émigré in the 30s who was probably using Rex to to integrate into the British establishment and, as you say R4, was probably eager for Kay to take Rex off her hands when she had landed a bigger fish—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2019 12:55 AM

[quote]r4 I thought Palmer was relieved that Kay came along to take Rex off her hands. She had had enough of him at that point.

Yes, and no. Palmer had a 13-year-old son with Rex Harrison and didn't want their marriage to be broken up, even though one of his mistresses (Carole Landis) had previously suicided on them, driving them to leave Hollywood.

According to her, Harrison only asked for the divorce on the condition Palmer would take him back after Kendall died in a few years. (The lukemia had already been diagnosed, though the doctor made Harrison agree neither would inform Kendall of it.) Palmer agreed to the divorce, even though she knew too much time would have passed by the time he came back. Yet she felt it wasn't something you could really say no to, as it was a really unforeseeable, one-of-a-kind situation. Plus, she might have been freaked out that Landis had killed herself when Harrison left her, and she feared Kendall would do so, as well.

Lilli Palmer wrote a really intelligent autobiography in 1975 called CHANGE LOBSTERS AND DANCE, in addition to a good novel called THE RED RAVEN. (She later wrote two other novels called A TIME TO EMBRACE and NIGHT MUSIC, which I haven't read.) She's much more articulate and insightful than your run-of-the-mill star. And she acknowledged that she liked Kendall when they met, despite not wanting to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2019 1:17 AM

Palmer also did something interesting in the early 1950s. She had a 15 minute TV show where she interviewed guests she was interested in, and would line up herself.

I don't know if any other performer did that so early.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2019 1:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2019 1:48 AM

With dear, dear Angela (THE RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE, 1958)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2019 1:52 AM

Kendall's only Broadway credit is a single night in 1957, where she filled in as the Queen of Transylvania (a small role) in Harrison's "My Fair Lady".

by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2019 1:57 AM

[italic]Coincidence??

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2019 2:00 AM

Noelie adored Kay Kendall.

He said she could play all those parts that Gertrude Lawrence originated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2019 10:00 AM

I remember her in Genevieve

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2019 10:12 AM

Her face reminds me of a '50s Barbie doll, the ones that came with the hard molded plastic eyelashes. Side-Eye Barbie is a ready-to- fight little bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2019 2:05 PM

She was a natural comedienne. She couldn't play conventional heroines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2019 12:53 AM

autograph

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2019 1:28 AM

Poor Kay is wearing this tiny leotard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 1:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!