Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What have you done today to honour the 75th anniversary of D-Day?

I have no doubt that DLers have marked this historic occasion in a thoroughly respectful manner.

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2019 9:01 PM

I wasn't a nazi.

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2019 9:10 PM

I made it all about me.

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2019 9:13 PM

So it's just another Thursday then, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2019 9:17 PM

My boyfriend dressed up like France and I invaded him.

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2019 9:26 PM

I had a Mai Tai.

What? It happened on the beach, didn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2019 10:25 PM

Sucked some soldier dick at the local glory hole.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2019 10:37 PM

What’s a D-Day?

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2019 10:50 PM

I looked at some pictures and felt great humility. I ask myself if I could have done any of those brave things? Storm a beach knowing I would most likely die. Climb a fucking cliff with German machine guns aimed down at me? Dropped behind enemy lines to be a wire operator knowing I had a life expectancy of maybe three days?

Damn.

I salute them all. From here to eternity.

by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2019 1:59 AM

I watched “Saving Private Ryan “ and I must say Matt Damon is the weak link in that film.

Why was he chosen for that part?

by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2019 3:59 AM

I prayed Trump would go to prison .

by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2019 4:02 AM

What's D-day again?

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2019 4:03 AM

R8 Great, and ditto!

by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2019 4:04 AM

Did it involve Dieppe?

In my Canadian history classes, everything related to WW2 involved Dieppe.

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2019 4:04 AM

I reveled in the memory of that soldier I made out with on a West Village street during Fleet Week in NYC. So cute.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2019 4:05 AM

Da fuck is Dieppe?

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2019 4:06 AM

Sorry -- I meant sailor, not soldier

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2019 4:09 AM

I'm watching 'Shaving Ryan's Privates' and blowing my load in a tin of Spam.

by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2019 4:14 AM

I listened to the NBC radio coverage. Fascinating stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2019 4:47 AM

I cut roses from the garden and brought them to the Senior Center in my town. I helped the ladies make vases, and had terrible cake and coffee with them.

My grandfather survived the 2nd wave on D Day.

by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2019 5:06 AM

R9 "Khakis accentuate Damon's womanly ass."

by Anonymousreply 20June 7, 2019 5:11 AM

I listened to the bletchley park podcast of German enigma messages that they decoded in real time as the attack was taking place. They also broke in with allied newscasts from 1944..

I followed them on Twitter as they tweeted out the enigma messages in real time as if it were 1944. They started at 2358 on June 5 when the Armada massed and the minesweepers began clearing a path toward Normandy.

My flags were out all day and I am sleeping under the wool blanket my uncle was issued in 1942 when he enlisted in the army.

by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2019 5:13 AM

Oh, and I'm fucking a Marine later.

by Anonymousreply 22June 7, 2019 5:14 AM

R19, kudos to your grandfather. They were amazing men. I hope he came back and enjoyed the rest of his life.

And good for your acts of kindness. You deserve a Marine

by Anonymousreply 23June 7, 2019 5:19 AM

I caught the end of "The Longest Day" on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 24June 7, 2019 7:58 AM

King George VI's D Day Speech

Four years ago, our Nation and Empire stood alone against an overwhelming enemy, with our backs to the wall. Tested as never before in our history, in G-d's providence we survived that test; the spirit of the people, resolute, dedicated, burned like a bright flame, lit surely from those unseen fires which nothing can quench.

Now once more a supreme test has to be faced. This time, the challenge is not to fight to survive but to fight to win the final victory for the good cause. Once again what is demanded from us all is something more than courage and endurance; we need a revival of spirit, a new unconquerable resolve. After nearly five years of toil and suffering, we must renew that crusading impulse on which we entered the war and met its darkest hour. We and our Allies are sure that our fight is against evil and for a world in which goodness and honour may be the foundation of the life of men in every land.

That we may be worthily matched with this new summons of destiny, I desire solemnly to call my people to prayer and dedication. We are not unmindful of our own shortcomings, past and present. We shall ask not that G-d may do our will, but that we may be enabled to do the will of G-d: and we dare to believe that G-d has used our Nation and Empire as an instrument for fulfilling his high purpose.

I hope that throughout the present crisis of the liberation of Europe there may be offered up earnest, continuous and widespread prayer. We who remain in this land can most effectively enter into the sufferings of subjugated Europe by prayer, whereby we can fortify the determination of our sailors, soldiers and airmen who go forth to set the captives free.

The Queen joins with me in sending you this message. She well understands the anxieties and cares of our womenfolk at this time and she knows that many of them will find, as she does herself, fresh strength and comfort in such waiting upon G-d. She feels that many women will be glad in this way to keep vigil with their menfolk as they man the ships, storm the beaches and fill the skies.

At this historic moment surely not one of us is too busy, too young or too old to play a part in a nationwide, perchance a worldwide, vigil of prayer as the great crusade sets forth. If from every place of worship, from home and factory, from men and women of all ages and many races and occupations, our intercessions rise, then, please G-d, both now and in a future not remote, the predictions of an ancient Psalm may be fulfilled: "The L-rd will give strength unto his people: the L-rd will give his people the blessing of peace."

by Anonymousreply 25June 7, 2019 8:15 AM

You're dear, R23. I got me a Navy man instead. Love those seamen.

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2019 3:00 AM

I sat on an anti-American aircraft weapon and smiled gleefully.

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2019 5:00 AM

Attended a friend’s funeral at Arlington National Cemetery.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2019 6:36 AM

Ironically, while men were dying on the beaches of Normandy, there were French people sunbathing on other beaches like it was just another day. Why fight for your country when you can have Americans do it for you.

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2019 6:45 AM

[quote]Why fight for your country when you can have Americans do it for you.

The French have a long history of rapprochement with their conquerers, so, in this instance, don't see D-Day in quite the same way as the Brits or Yanks.

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2019 6:52 AM

R30, that's not what they ere doing yesterday during D-Day. It's what they were doing on the actual day of the war.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2019 6:57 AM

R31 Understood. And my comment stands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2019 7:01 AM

Watched a couple WWII movies made during the war, listened to NPR coverage, had dinner with friends.

by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2019 8:13 AM

Watched Trump behave himself with The Queen on Wednesday, then watched the commemorations in France on telly on Thursday.

We are grateful to America.

by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2019 10:00 AM

I "yanked" my D all day!

by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2019 11:29 AM

For you, R13. And for you, Dumbo R15.

Gustave Loiseau (French, 1865-1935) L'Avant Port de Dieppe

The after pictures aren't as pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2019 8:55 PM

I hung a flag that said welcome sailors from my Chelsea apartment

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2019 9:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!