Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The new Apple monitor costs $5000

The stand costs an additional $999

The processor costs another $6000

Twelve grand for a desktop?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2019 7:53 AM

Greedy fucks.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2019 11:52 PM

Idiots will still pay that for Macs!

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2019 11:54 PM

Does the stand suck me off?

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2019 11:56 PM

No R3, Gross, stop being a piggy whore slut. It will elevate your stand among the IN crowd, which is way better than gett sucked off

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2019 11:57 PM

I have a huge iMac desktop about six years old. I think it was $2400 or so? I mean, I'd happily get another one, but that seems outrageous. Shouldn't the price of all desktops be shrinking as fewer people use them?

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2019 11:58 PM

Surprised by this since they've lost millions in sales due to over-pricing the recent iPhones and newest Mac Mini. They had to drop the price on the iPhones to try to recoup. Their shareholders are going to kill the company.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2019 11:59 PM

Time to sell one of my kids

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2019 12:01 AM

These are designed for people who design 3d animation, do 3d renderings.....high level pro work.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2019 12:02 AM

Tim, you're just terrible at this.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2019 12:03 AM

Probably the same price as a 1 business trip for the employee whose company must buy this for him or her.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2019 12:05 AM

Goods and services are worth precisely what consumers are willing to pay for them. No more, no less.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2019 12:14 AM

True, but we can still call out a company for price-gouging and mock the people dumb enough to pay $1000 for a $50 monitor stand.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2019 12:30 AM

OP A fool and his money are easily parted.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2019 12:31 AM

Honestly, I would get the whole combo b/c my friends will be green with envy.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2019 12:42 AM

Monitor Size Queens.

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2019 12:42 AM

So apple is officially no longer about innovation. Just "flash"

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2019 12:44 AM

How they get away with this when you can buy a Samsung 75 inch 4K TV is beyond my comprehension. Sure it may not be the best but there has to be some type of middle ground.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2019 12:47 AM

^^^for under $2,000

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2019 12:48 AM

Do people even use desktops anymore?

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2019 12:49 AM

As a gamer, I have to, if I want to be VR ready R19

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2019 12:52 AM

I'm assuming that an NEC display still has greater coverage of the sRGB and AdobeRGB color spaces, as well as the others.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2019 12:53 AM

You really don't need that kind of definition unless you're doing high-end imaging / video editing etc.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2019 12:54 AM

I use my desktop to watch movies. And that’s it. When it goes kaput, no more Apple for me.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2019 12:57 AM

Do you understand that monitor is not designed for the average consumer, but for professionals in the graphics industry?

Apple also makes the Imac with the monitor incorporated.

I use a MacBook hooked up to a $250 HP monitor. It suits me fine. But I don't do architectural renderings or 3d animation or Photoshop images for Vogue.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2019 1:26 AM

And even if you do, R22, there are far cheaper alternatives.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2019 1:30 AM

Yes, we do understand that, R24, but that still doesn't excuse the price for the monitor. Or the $1000 for the stand.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2019 1:31 AM

This is the most popular monitor that graphic studios for high end work.

Note the price.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2019 1:34 AM

[quote]And even if you do, [R22], there are far cheaper alternatives.

Yes, and higher quality, like an NEC display.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2019 1:34 AM

Eizo is also good.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2019 1:35 AM

This monitor is designed to compete with reference monitors that run $10k to $50k. This isn't a monitor that you buy and stick on your desk at work, this is for intensive graphics work and movie editing.

The "processor" that OP mentioned is the new Mac Pro. It is a workstation, and again, this isn't a consumer or prosumer machine. This is a serious workstation for high end, intensive applications - recording studios, rendering farms, computer animation, film editing.

During the keynote they focused a lot on editing and creating 8k content - that takes a LOT of computing power.

The prices for these are not out of line for what they are designed for. They are very expensive, but these aren't machines that are used for email and spreadsheets, they are serious content creation machines.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2019 1:38 AM

If you got the money and/or need the special qualities a monitor like this possesses or perhaps you just crave some sort of validation from having something like this, have at it. I certainly do not have the money, but It looks quite lovely. I like desktops because you have a better chance of having the best visual display monitor with a desktop. Plus I have a desk that enjoys being rode by a desktop computer.

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2019 1:41 AM

The best laptop I ever had was a Samsung. Fuck Apple.

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2019 2:02 AM

Break them up! It was good enough for Standard Oil!

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2019 2:15 AM

Apple is so elitist. Let me know when they create for the common folk.

by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2019 2:38 AM

Standard consumer models and professional consumer models are in the iMac and iMac Pro, which do range from $2K to $6k and are very powerful systems.

The Mac Pro is a 28 core system. It’s roughly 7 times more powerful than your standard high end system, scales to 1.5 TERABYTES of memory. Not disk: MEMORY. It’s designed for the high end of the market in programming, software design, graphics, architecture - Apple’s traditional market. It lost a lot of this market with the shiteous 2013 Mac Pro redesign.

It’s doubtful many of us would buy the Mac Pro. There’s little need. The iMac Pro satisfies much of the market segment that needs reasonably high power but the convenience of all in one.

Even after 10 Macs, I won’t be buying the new Mac Pro. I’m close to retirement and I don’t see the need.

by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2019 3:01 AM

...and you can't draw on it. Fucking amazing.

by Anonymousreply 36June 5, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote]The "processor" that OP mentioned is the new Mac Pro. It is a workstation, and again, this isn't a consumer or prosumer machine. This is a serious workstation for high end, intensive applications - recording studios, rendering farms, computer animation, film editing.

Exactly. After the Final Cut X debacle, I thought they’d given up on the high end media application side of things. Guess not.

by Anonymousreply 37June 5, 2019 8:27 AM

I'm happy with my Chromebook.

by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2019 8:35 AM

This is just the beginning

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2019 7:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!