Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Breakfast Club (1985) - Did you like it?

They are showing it on TV right now and I am watching it for the first time in probably 20 years, and its quite enjoyable!

Emilio Estevez and Judd Nelson were hot as hell in this, and Molly Ringwald looked her best. She looks VERY PRETTY in this one.

I love how this movie took off and became such a big hit and cult classic.

Who was your favorite of the group?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199September 13, 2020 1:19 AM

I didn't like it

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2019 2:24 AM

It sucks, best thing is the stupid song.

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2019 2:24 AM

Critics like it because it's more serious than the other John Hughes teen movies but it's my least favorite. Give me Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonder or Sixteen Candles over this.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2019 2:27 AM

I love all three you named but I love this one also.

Sixteen Candles is my favorite though cause of Jake Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2019 2:29 AM

You’re poor if you don’t have a BMW - thanks. Back to the 70s

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2019 2:29 AM

This is the only movie where Judd "Nostrils" Nelson was ever appealing.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2019 2:31 AM

Yes i love it too

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2019 2:32 AM

I loved it.

Still do.

Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2019 2:32 AM

I absolutely loved it as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2019 2:32 AM

I loved this scene when Bender is hiding under the table and puts his head between Clares VERY SPREAD legs lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2019 2:35 AM

Can you describe the ruckus sir?

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2019 2:35 AM

Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez were indeed attractive, but neither could hold a candle to Jake Ryan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2019 2:39 AM

R10 SJWs have "cancelled" this movie bc of that scene.

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2019 2:40 AM

r13 read some of the comments in the video. Most are having fun and LOLing but you have some SJWs losing it cause he did that, claiming sexual assault and how she should have beat his ass.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2019 2:42 AM

It was decent, but quite predictable. I preferred Sixteen Candles, and not only because of Jake Ryan, but because of the supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2019 2:46 AM

Loved it. Watched it with a bunch of early teens (my kids and their friends) and it moved them. It was on, and one by one, they settled down to watch it. It holds up, I think. The boy in the group pretended he didn’t care about it, but he mentioned it recently.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2019 2:49 AM

Haven't SJWs canceled Sixteen Candles also because of

1- Sams best friends reaction to her thinking Sam wanted a black boyfriend

2- The stereotype that is the Asian character

3- Jake Ryan saying he could do whatever he wanted to his drunk passed out girlfriend

4- Jake Ryan sending Anthony Michael Hall with his drunk girlfriend to "date rape" her

?

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2019 2:51 AM

This scene does not go over well with the SJWs from Sixteen Candles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2019 2:53 AM

Sorry, but they will never be able to cancel Jake's hotness

by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2019 2:56 AM

I preferred Sixteen Candles.

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2019 2:59 AM

r19 the majority of humanity with eyes that work and a brain that works love Jake. Hes walking beauty.

But SJWs are blind and dumb.

by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2019 3:01 AM

Both Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles are fun movies if you watched them for the first time at a certain stage in your life. Afterwards, that residual emotional connection often remains and connects you to that time in your own life.

by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2019 3:02 AM

This movie was made for people born in 1970-1975...if that's not you, fuck off with your negative opinions

by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2019 3:03 AM

I loved it, and Judd Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 24June 3, 2019 3:06 AM

r23 I was born in 1991 and love it lol

by Anonymousreply 25June 3, 2019 3:06 AM

[quote]This movie was made for people born in 1970-1975...if that's not you, fuck off with your negative opinions

It was made for ten year olds???

by Anonymousreply 26June 3, 2019 3:06 AM

Judd Nelson....omg....yum....

by Anonymousreply 27June 3, 2019 3:12 AM

The movie was made for teens and young adults... kids could watch but I dont think they were the target audience.

by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2019 3:16 AM

I was born in 1964 I loved it in 1985 and I love it still.

by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2019 3:16 AM

I liked Alison the best... the popcorn sandwich, tossing the bologna over her head and it sticking to the statue and her scratching her head so the dandruff looked like snow falling on her drawing of a covered bridge cracked me up. Kinda loved her. Especially her speech to Claire (Molly Ringworm) about the double-edged sword of being a whore or a tease.

Never could figure out Emilio Estevez's whole speech about his "old man" and how it was somehow related to taping that guy with the hairy ass butt cheeks together.

by Anonymousreply 30June 3, 2019 3:18 AM

I was a kid in the 90s when I saw this and tried the popcorn and pixie stick sandwich, and it was disgusting. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2019 3:23 AM

It’s a shame Judd Nelson lost out on the part of Tony Stark to that other guy.

by Anonymousreply 32June 3, 2019 3:26 AM

Wasn’t Tony Stark supposed to be Tom Cruise? They wanted him.

by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2019 3:33 AM

I was the same age as the characters in Breakfast Club when it came out. At the time, I didn't really care about the movie one way or the other.

But, when I see it now, I find it very moving. The letter at the end kills me. KILLS me. And the song is just so ingrained in the fabric of my life now.

Breakfast Club is a fine piece of work. Painfully nostalgic to watch now.

by Anonymousreply 34June 3, 2019 3:46 AM

Michael Schoeffling should have been cast as the Jock over Emilio Estevez

by Anonymousreply 35June 3, 2019 3:50 AM

I was shocked when Criterion released this on Blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 36June 3, 2019 4:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 3, 2019 4:11 AM

I liked Alison, too. "I lied..." The film, though it has some flaws, managed to capture the insulated, striated lives of high schoolers in that era. It's amazing how post-H.S., whether you go to college or work, that whole school society that defines our worldview just vanishes.

by Anonymousreply 38June 3, 2019 4:25 AM

It was before my time, but I enjoyed it as a glimpse into a time I just barely missed out on. I preferred the timeless Karate Kid though.

by Anonymousreply 39June 3, 2019 4:29 AM

Yeah, it was nice to see what high school was like for eldergays. I love slice of life films that transport you to another time you didn’t know existed.

by Anonymousreply 40June 3, 2019 4:31 AM

R40 of all the films that portrayed what would turn out to be Generation X's high school or college years, Breakfast Club comes closest to showing how it actually was. You very much get the flavor of being a teenager in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 41June 3, 2019 4:43 AM

HEY HEY HEY OOOOOH OOOHHH WOAH

by Anonymousreply 42June 3, 2019 8:44 AM

The song is fantastic

by Anonymousreply 43June 3, 2019 10:45 AM

I was in high school when it came out and even though I thought it was unrealistic I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 44June 3, 2019 10:47 AM

I remember coming home from the movies and my parents were having a party or get-together with their friends. In front of everyone, my mother asked what movie we saw, and I said The Breakfast Club. "The Breakfast Club? Isn't that rated 'R'?" my mother responded. Exasperated, I said "Mom, I'm SEVENTEEN." I had turned seventeen a month after the movie came out - in fact, a couple of friends I was with were still under 17 - but looking back I felt bad that I made it such a dramatic moment in front of their friends. At the time, I remember thinking "boy, I showed her", but now I realize once I huffed off, the adults were probably saying "what an obnoxious little prick".

Anyway, I loved the movie at the time, but I did hate the little come-to-Jesus confessional scene 2/3rds the way through where all the little whiny kids talk about how tough life is. So for that reason I always preferred the straightforward comedy of Sixteen Candles and Ferris Bueller. (Although Ferris had a touch of the downer scene with Cameron, too.)

by Anonymousreply 45June 3, 2019 12:42 PM

“Vodka!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 3, 2019 12:54 PM

Mannered performances. No one is 'real'.

by Anonymousreply 47June 3, 2019 1:06 PM

It's funny seeing their reactions to Molly/Claire having sushi for lunch. I guess it wasn't as common back then.

by Anonymousreply 48June 3, 2019 2:04 PM

Loved it

But I was sixteen

by Anonymousreply 49June 3, 2019 2:37 PM

R30 & R31 Not to be a stickler, but the sandwich was made of Capn Crunch and a pixie stick, not popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 50June 3, 2019 2:51 PM

R30, did you even watch the full movie? That was not popcorn in allisons sandwich, it was Cap'n Crunch.

by Anonymousreply 51June 3, 2019 2:51 PM

Also the reason he taped the kids ass cheeks together is because he was looking for validation from his father who hated weakness or perceived weakness.

My favorite line in the movie:

Claire: why do you have a fake ID?

Nerd: so I can vote.

by Anonymousreply 52June 3, 2019 2:56 PM

Why is it in movies teens always feel comfortable to make out in front of their parents? I never did.

by Anonymousreply 53June 3, 2019 3:08 PM

I loved the movie, but the dance scene is really awful - most especially the scene where Emilio Estevez jumps hurdles, flexes his muscles and breaks the glass door.

I also thought Ally Sheedy looked better before Molly Ringwald made her over.

by Anonymousreply 54June 3, 2019 10:31 PM

R48 Yes, sushi was exotic back then...not as mainstream as it is today.

by Anonymousreply 55June 3, 2019 10:33 PM

R54 agree with both.

by Anonymousreply 56June 3, 2019 10:34 PM

Sushi was not mainstream back then. It was something only specific types ate and seen as exotic and ethnic.

Italian food was considered ethnic then also, still is in parts of the Country.

by Anonymousreply 57June 3, 2019 10:35 PM

"Vodka" was the best line. The whole thing was tedious.

by Anonymousreply 58June 3, 2019 10:58 PM

R12 He was so much hotter in Mermaids. Like a man who knew what he was doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 3, 2019 11:46 PM

R59 well he was older. He was 24 when he filmed Sixteen Candles and 30 for Mermaids.

by Anonymousreply 60June 3, 2019 11:58 PM

80s metalhead here. All my friends were Bender.

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2019 12:14 AM

I've always loved the theme song, Don't You Forget About Me, written and produced flawlessly by Keith Forsey. Keith is primarily known for that song and discovering and producing Billy Idol. Keith started out as the drummer on Donna Summer's classic 70s albums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2019 12:30 AM

I also prefer Sixteen Candles. I feel Breakfast Club tries too hard and I had trouble connecting to the characters.

I also hate the Ally Sheedy makeover scene. it's cringeworthy.

For all its politically incorrect scenes, I think Sixteen Candles was actually more realistic in how teens acted. They would say "fag" and boys were horny. We may not like that now but it's how it was.

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2019 1:19 AM

I do like this movie, but even as a 18 year old wathcing this stoned to the gills, Ally Sheedy was just hamming it up. Her character and acting did not age well. I found Judd Nelson's nostrils very distracting and Emilio's bulge too.

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2019 1:38 AM

I think pretty much all the John Hughes movies have been #cancelled by the Twitter idiots these days and, if they haven't, they will. I'm sure there will be an article about how the lead in Some Kind of Wonderful should have been played by a disabled trans woman of color and, because she's not, the movie is ableist, racist, and transphobic.

I still enjoy the films while recognizing that some scenes play differently to modern viewers. Hell, I saw a movie from the 90's recently and couldn't believe some of those scenes and lines were in such a fairly modern film. Change really does sneak up on you.

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2019 1:39 AM

Emilio’s bulge and muscles were the best part.

by Anonymousreply 66June 4, 2019 1:40 AM

Did John Hughes ever cast a minority?

by Anonymousreply 67June 4, 2019 1:43 AM

R59 I love that movie. Who could blame Winona for having all of those [italic]sinful thoughts[/italic] about him.

by Anonymousreply 68June 4, 2019 2:07 AM

R68 same girl same. Sjws have cancelled mermaids though because Joe was 26 and Charlotte just 15 when they had sex lol

by Anonymousreply 69June 4, 2019 2:24 AM

Christ, every movie is going to be cancelled.

Working Girl will probably be cancelled because Sigourney Weaver was called "boney ass".

by Anonymousreply 70June 4, 2019 2:27 AM

Chicks cannot hold their smoke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 4, 2019 2:33 AM

Wasn't my favorite. Alot of those 80s movies have just not held up. Acting was so bad.

by Anonymousreply 72June 4, 2019 2:41 AM

I didn't really like Breakfast Club...a little tedious. A great 80s movie that I watched recently was "About Last Night" with Rob Lowe and Demi Moore. Really funny.

by Anonymousreply 73June 4, 2019 3:02 AM

R73 you can’t compare that to this.

by Anonymousreply 74June 4, 2019 3:06 AM

i don't remember

by Anonymousreply 75June 4, 2019 3:26 AM

R69 lol of course they did. I still don't care. He could get it.

R73 About Last Night was good. I still need to check out the reboot.

by Anonymousreply 76June 4, 2019 3:43 AM

I love About Last Night but you can’t compare that to a John Hughes movie

by Anonymousreply 77June 4, 2019 3:44 AM

There was a reboot?

by Anonymousreply 78June 4, 2019 5:59 AM

R78 yes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 4, 2019 10:36 AM

I know someone who purchased Ally Sheedy's sneakers from this movie at a studio auction. He pulled them out to show them to me and they smelled awful.

by Anonymousreply 80June 4, 2019 9:41 PM

R80 I’m sure. I’m sure.

by Anonymousreply 81June 4, 2019 9:45 PM

[quote] I know someone who purchased Ally Sheedy's sneakers from this movie at a studio auction. He pulled them out to show them to me and they smelled awful.

You took the time to smell them?

by Anonymousreply 82June 4, 2019 9:55 PM

R82 stop chatting up trolls.

by Anonymousreply 83June 4, 2019 9:57 PM

I loved it or more the experience of it. It was the first movie I went to see without an adult family member. Instead I went with my volleyball club and I was 12 and the club had teams ranging from elementary school age to high school. So seeing it with and hanging out with the cool HS club members really made me feel all grown up.

Sometime in the late 90's it was on TV and I was pretty meh about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 84June 4, 2019 10:02 PM

Liked this movie, but loved "Sixteen Candles." i'm surprised that no one has mentioned "St. Elmo's Fire." Now, there's a pretentious, bad movie. But still laugh at this scene:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 4, 2019 10:08 PM

I love the seen with Jules having a nervous breakdown with the billowing curtains and the Billy Idol neon portrait. My sides!!

by Anonymousreply 86June 4, 2019 10:25 PM

^^^ This comes right after the billowing curtains and is my favorite part of the movie, especially the line “I never thought I would be so tired at 22.” We used that for over a decade. I also liked the fact that in real life Ally was the coked out mess like Jules and Demi was much more the straight shooter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 5, 2019 12:55 AM

THE lamest suicide "attempt" ever in cinematic history. She should have just jumped in front of a train.

by Anonymousreply 88June 5, 2019 1:58 AM

R87 Demi was a coked out mess as well. Joel Schumacher threatened to fire her from St Elmo’s Fire if she didn’t go to rehab

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 5, 2019 5:11 AM

Trust me, Demi knew her way around a mountain of coke.

by Anonymousreply 90June 5, 2019 6:29 AM

So what it was the 80's. I believe Demi was playing Jules method and coked to the gills.

by Anonymousreply 91June 5, 2019 11:19 AM

Demi looks awful with that hair

by Anonymousreply 92June 5, 2019 11:26 AM

Demi sounded awful with that voice.

by Anonymousreply 93June 5, 2019 12:29 PM

I like all of John Hughes' movies. I still do.. I'm an old fart, born in 1954, and loved this movie when it came out. I had a crush on Judd. I even have the DVDs of Hughes' movies.

by Anonymousreply 94June 5, 2019 12:32 PM

[Quote] Yes, sushi was exotic back then...not as mainstream as it is today.

[Quote] Sushi was not mainstream back then. It was something only specific types ate and seen as exotic and ethnic.

I figured as much.

by Anonymousreply 95June 5, 2019 1:08 PM

I never considered Demi to be one of the official brat pack. She seemed to have wormed her way in with St Elmo's Fire.

by Anonymousreply 96June 5, 2019 3:52 PM

She came in later. She joined when shit wasn’t as good.

by Anonymousreply 97June 5, 2019 4:06 PM

We hated it

by Anonymousreply 98June 5, 2019 4:10 PM

That still of Judd Nelson at the OP is remarkable. He was so handsome back then. If only he could act (especially without flaring his nostrils), he would have had a remarkable career.

by Anonymousreply 99June 5, 2019 4:26 PM

I didn't particularly care for the movie, but Judd Nelson was dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 100June 5, 2019 5:37 PM

r96, the Brat Pack was defined by a 1985 article for NEW YORK Magazine that first used the term to describe them. Here's the wikipedia entry on what it was and who was in it (basically the casts of "the Breakfast Club" and "St. Elmo's Fire"):

[quote]The Brat Pack is a nickname given to a group of young actors who frequently appeared together in teen-oriented coming-of-age films in the 1980s. First mentioned in a 1985 New York magazine article, it is now usually defined as the cast members of two specific films released in 1985—The Breakfast Club and St. Elmo's Fire—although other actors are sometimes included. [bold]The "core" members are considered to be Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, and Ally Sheedy. [/bold]

If you can ever find the original article, you should read it. They mostly come across as juvenile idiots, especially Demi Moore (who goes on about how she's so into the feel of Q-Tips!). The exception is Ally Sheedy, who works hard but is obsessed with comparing herself to her idol, Katharine Hepburn.

For some reason they left Mare Winningham out of the article, and though she was in "St. Elmo's Fire," she's usually been pretty much exempted from being considered in the membership in the Brat Pack--I think because even back then she was recognized as a serious character actress although she was pretty young then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 5, 2019 6:04 PM

R101 I think to be a part of The Brat Pack they had to do more than one movie for Hughes.

Michael Schoeffling was in Sixteen Candles but never cast in another role for Hughes so he will never be linked to that

by Anonymousreply 102June 5, 2019 6:08 PM

Anonymous at r102, I'm afraid I'm going to take wikipedia's and the original New York magazine article's opinions as to who constituted the membership of the Brat Pack over yours.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 103June 5, 2019 6:19 PM

Did they say he was a part of it? I’ve never seen him associated with the pack

by Anonymousreply 104June 5, 2019 6:46 PM

R101 the NY Magazine article is the first link under "References" on the wiki page, and I'm reading it now. Fascinating!

by Anonymousreply 105June 5, 2019 7:11 PM

I was born in 1964, and I loathed it, and 'Sixteen Candles' also.

by Anonymousreply 106June 5, 2019 7:16 PM

Love both. But Sixteen Candles is better.

by Anonymousreply 107June 5, 2019 7:19 PM

Say what you want about Ringwald, but she was right that Claire should have ended up dating Brian not Bender. For his talents writing wangst & introspection Hughes never could manage romance subplots or arcs properly.

by Anonymousreply 108June 5, 2019 10:39 PM

R108 but he gave her Jake Ryan, which she seems to hate also lol.

by Anonymousreply 109June 5, 2019 10:44 PM

Another overated 80’s film. Sorry you grew up on it but it has not aged well.

by Anonymousreply 110June 5, 2019 10:47 PM

Who’s Brian? Emilio Estevez?

by Anonymousreply 111June 5, 2019 10:49 PM

R111 the dorky one

by Anonymousreply 112June 5, 2019 10:52 PM

Brian is Anthony Michael Hall

by Anonymousreply 113June 5, 2019 10:52 PM

[quote]For all its politically incorrect scenes, I think Sixteen Candles was actually more realistic in how teens acted. They would say "fag" and boys were horny. We may not like that now but it's how it was.

Teen boys are still like that. We're just not allowed to depict real life anymore, just an idealized version.

by Anonymousreply 114June 5, 2019 11:20 PM

[quote]I still enjoy the films while recognizing that some scenes play differently to modern viewers. Hell, I saw a movie from the 90's recently and couldn't believe some of those scenes and lines were in such a fairly modern film. Change really does sneak up on you.

What movie?

by Anonymousreply 115June 5, 2019 11:21 PM

I would have done the janitor

by Anonymousreply 116June 6, 2019 12:36 AM

Just One of the Guys is my favourite 1985 teen movie.

by Anonymousreply 117June 6, 2019 12:41 AM

[quote] Say what you want about Ringwald, but she was right that Claire should have ended up dating Brian not Bender.

I disagree. It is almost unthinkable someone so shallow and obsessed with popularity at her age would ever date a nerd. She would get coolness points from her friends, though, for dating a hot stoner bad-boy (though probably just for a week).

by Anonymousreply 118June 6, 2019 12:47 AM

I always found it odd how they just make out in front of their parents at the end, while saying goodbye. Like, really sucking face@

by Anonymousreply 119June 6, 2019 1:48 AM

R118 why would the jock date the future cat lady though?

by Anonymousreply 120June 6, 2019 1:52 AM

Yes r116, Carl the janitor was hot. Intelligent, masculine, and a little scruffy.

by Anonymousreply 121June 6, 2019 3:40 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 6, 2019 3:43 AM

The janitor had a big ass

by Anonymousreply 123June 6, 2019 5:51 AM

God, I just wish I could get it back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 6, 2019 7:25 AM

John hughes movies suck and have not aged well at all.

by Anonymousreply 125June 6, 2019 10:22 AM

That’s why he’s going to remake all of them.

by Anonymousreply 126June 6, 2019 10:23 AM

Most John Hughes movies are still more compelling, entertaining, and fun than 99% of what’s coming out today....

by Anonymousreply 127June 6, 2019 12:55 PM

R126 from the grave?

by Anonymousreply 128June 6, 2019 2:05 PM

I think the janitor is the same guy who played the "oily bo-hunk" in 16 candles....right?

by Anonymousreply 129June 6, 2019 2:31 PM

Nope. I dislike the movie and especially Molly whom I find very unattractive.

I appreciate the guns on Emilio Estevez.

by Anonymousreply 130June 6, 2019 2:41 PM

Molly looked very pretty in this one.

by Anonymousreply 131June 6, 2019 2:56 PM

R129 lol yes. It's the same actor.

by Anonymousreply 132June 6, 2019 5:56 PM

R121 He was also in Weird Science and Sixteen Candles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 6, 2019 6:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134June 6, 2019 6:01 PM

And Ferris Bueller’s Day Off but his scene was cut. But he says it will be included in the upcoming but not announced yet Criterion blu-ray:

And yet, the actor with nearly 200 credits and a role in December’s Oscar contender “The Shape of Water” may still be seen by audiences as a part of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”

“I was contacted by the Criterion Collection” and they had the scene among footage supplied by Hughes’ family for bonus features for a 2018 DVD release, he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 6, 2019 6:03 PM

I still enjoy these movies despite their politically incorrect stuff. Apparently, we're not allowed to have characters do and say things that aren't on the moral up and up anymore. Everyone has to always have good intentions. I can't really understand this. If we were discussing a politician, sure, but fiction is another story to me. I'd rather have my characters do things that are problematic. It keeps things interesting.

by Anonymousreply 136June 6, 2019 6:23 PM

Why is what they say not okay but Bradley “Paging Dr. Faggot” Bradley is beloved by everyone and even approved by the queer-inclusive Lady Gaga?

by Anonymousreply 137June 6, 2019 6:29 PM

[quote]Apparently, we're not allowed to have characters do and say things that aren't on the moral up and up anymore.

Also, extremists on both sides think if a movie depicts something, then it is promoting it. For example, the far right believes that if a movie features a gay character, they're promoting the 'gay agenda,' and the far left believes that if a character lights up a cigarette, they're promoting smoking. It's insane! It's as if people lack critical thinking skills.

I mentioned in another thread that we're currently undergoing another Hays Code era. Filmmaking is very restricting these days, like the days of yore. And that's not a good thing, because it stifles creativity.

by Anonymousreply 138June 6, 2019 6:40 PM

Ally Sheedy's character was my personal fave. She was like this Dark Angel who was sent to watch over them all and ended up with the greatest reward - the jock. She always managed to drop the best bombshells with impeccable timing. When she told the group that she wasn't even supposed to be there with them, I still laugh.

Love the entire gang. Judd Nelson at his most fuckable.

Anthony Michael Hall's character is the only who doesn't seem to last through changing times. His big confession scene- he was going to shoot himself over failing grades - doesn't ring sincere. Finding a gun in a student's locker does not lead to detention - it leads to suspension and its handed over to the police. And his desire to die because of personal failure is so "First-World" problem. It was always hard to sympathize with him, especially since I always detected it had more to do with the fact he was the little gay in the group (the neutered, sexless one who was ok with his brain while the others were paired off in heterosexual couplings) and that was why he wanted to commit suicide. The white-washed mainstream audiences of the 80s weren't ready for that.

by Anonymousreply 139June 6, 2019 7:28 PM

R139 Dear Lord...

by Anonymousreply 140June 6, 2019 7:30 PM

Judd recently caught a movie deal for “Nostrilla, Smeller of Danger.” Should be a smash..

by Anonymousreply 141June 6, 2019 7:31 PM

I saw it a few months ago. Could not get through it. Seemed really dumb.

by Anonymousreply 142June 6, 2019 7:59 PM

I've never really watched it. I've only been able to stomach seeing parts of it. It's just a very contrived John Hughes "teen" movie that really appealed to teenagers and adults with certain sensibilities.

Did Alison eat a "popcorn" sandwich? I seem to recall it was a Captain Crunch sandwich on white bread. Anyway, one of the worst things about the movie was Alison's transformation. The Princess Claire takes pity on the poor misfit girl and gives her a makeover. She gets her hair out of her eyes, applies softer makeup and voila! She's morphed into a homogenized, blandly pretty teenage girl. Even her personality has changed: "I don't want to be alone anymore." And the jock Andrew promptly falls in love with her: "you don't have to be." GAG. One critic said Alison was a lot more interesting when she was a basket case and that of course is true. But I guess John Hughes decided that a happy ending for Alison (the weirdo girl gets a BOYFRIEND!) would really strike a chord with the viewers of his film, especially the female ones.

by Anonymousreply 143June 6, 2019 8:50 PM

I loved basket case Alison better than Remade Princess Alison.

by Anonymousreply 144June 7, 2019 1:59 AM

The eyebags on Miss Molly were disgusting wasn’t she 16/17 filming this?

by Anonymousreply 145June 7, 2019 2:01 AM

Claire was sad because she was at her "peak" in high school. After that, she'd slowly fade into the banality of life. Get married, get pregnant, gain weight, and dream of sweet, sweet death after realizing that she's just like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 146June 7, 2019 2:58 AM

But Claire was rich. I don't think that would've been her fate.

by Anonymousreply 147June 7, 2019 3:01 AM

You're right, r147 - it would have been worse.

by Anonymousreply 148June 7, 2019 3:28 AM

How interesting would it be to see them all reunited at a modern high school reunion. Claire would probably be totally miserable and married to some rich idiot.

by Anonymousreply 149June 7, 2019 5:42 AM

[quote] One critic said Alison was a lot more interesting when she was a basket case and that of course is true.

I feel like that about Watts in Hughes’ SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL. She was clearly a softbutch punk who lusted Amanda and she could have easily been happy that way, but of course we couldn’t have something as controversial and interesting as that in 1988 so she was watered down written as a ‘tomboy’ (at 17🙄) in love with her childhood bestie the male mechanic.

by Anonymousreply 150June 7, 2019 9:18 AM

I was their age when this came out, and I love it because it really reminds me of my high school and the kids will went with me. I had a guy in my homeroom who was a dead ringer for Bender, dressed the same way too.

by Anonymousreply 151June 7, 2019 10:21 AM

Could have been an interesting thread, but the "waaah SJWs cancelled [insert thread topic here]" trolls take every conversation over nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 152June 7, 2019 10:59 AM

Hughes' films were more about Boomers than GenXers. Everything that was meant to be meaningful was so exaggerated and fake, with the exact same sensibilities as teen movies of the 1970s, like AMERICAN GRAFFITI, ANIMAL HOUSE and OVER THE EDGE. Movies like HEATHERS and even FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH captured the spirit of the 1980s much better, probably because the exaggerated emotions were intentional and meant to convey the difficulty of navigating the world that the Reagan-era GOP was creating at that moment. The teens in BREAKFAST CLUB act like they're still trying to process the wacky Nixon years, they're so vanilla and out of date.

by Anonymousreply 153June 7, 2019 11:06 AM

R153 in many parts of the country kids WERE vanilla and out of date.

by Anonymousreply 154June 7, 2019 11:28 AM

I thought it was an entertaining teen movie then, and now. I identified more with the nerds in Lucas, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 7, 2019 11:28 AM

R155 Winonq is so much better than Molly it’s not even funny.

by Anonymousreply 156June 7, 2019 11:32 AM

I’ve never seen it even though I graduated high school in 1986.

by Anonymousreply 157June 7, 2019 11:33 AM

Good movie, and Judd was hot AF. A pretty spot on portrayal of HS that actually holds up today.

by Anonymousreply 158June 7, 2019 11:37 AM

I wonder what the consensus is on Kicking & Screaming??

by Anonymousreply 159June 7, 2019 1:19 PM

[quote]Could have been an interesting thread, but the "waaah SJWs cancelled [insert thread topic here]" trolls take every conversation over nowadays.

Well, SJWs (perennial victims) keep ruining everything for everyone because it hurts their 'widdle feewings. '

by Anonymousreply 160June 7, 2019 2:26 PM

Heathers was always more my jam. Weirdly enough, that felt much more like a story of my middle school years than high school years. Middle school was awful, but high school was pretty tolerable. Not great, memorable, or fun, but at least it wasn't the horror of middle school.

by Anonymousreply 161June 7, 2019 6:35 PM

To me it represents the beginnings of the seeing the world divided into haves and have-nots. The rich va the poors - as if they live totally different lives. The idealization of the rich kid wasn’t as omnipresent in movies before the 80s. All the teen movies after 1980 were all about wealth.

by Anonymousreply 162June 7, 2019 7:12 PM

When I first saw this movie I felt I related most to Ally Sheedy's character. She was pretty much a female version of what I was like in high school.

by Anonymousreply 163June 7, 2019 7:20 PM

The obligatory dance scene is awful.

by Anonymousreply 164June 7, 2019 8:34 PM

Fun movie.

by Anonymousreply 165July 20, 2019 1:58 PM

[quote]It's amazing how post-H.S., whether you go to college or work, that whole school society that defines our worldview just vanishes.

Very true, and it happens so fast. And you never see some of those kids again.

by Anonymousreply 166July 20, 2019 2:28 PM

High school is a kind of non-reality. It's unreal. But at the time is seems so important. I heard a class mate say that high school was supposed to be "best years of my life", God help her.

by Anonymousreply 167July 20, 2019 8:11 PM

Anyone who believes high school was the best time of their lives is a sad, psychopath. I wasn't bullied or unpopular (I was somewhere in the middle), but I found it all so tedious and boring and couldn't wait to get out. Amazing how little we use of the things we learned during that time, too.

I understand thinking college or maybe pre-school/elementary school was the best time of your life, but middle and high school both kinda sucked. I'd never want to go back.

I'd love to see a movie where the entire cast of this returns for their 40th high school reunion just to see how much they've changed. That'd be fascinating. Hollywood should get on that.

by Anonymousreply 168July 21, 2019 8:17 PM

Some people peak in HS.

by Anonymousreply 169July 21, 2019 8:47 PM

R154 Bingo! I went to high school in suburban Connecticut and was a Sophomore in 1985. Breakfast Club makes complete sense to me. It rings true.

Seeing Fast Times at Ridgemont High was like another planet for me. It took many years for that Fast Times sensibility to spread.

by Anonymousreply 170July 22, 2019 10:01 AM

The weakest part of Fast Times is the Spicoli character. I never understood his appeal and it gets in the way of the more "realistic" portrayal of teendom. And Judge Reinhold looks about a decade older than the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 171July 22, 2019 2:15 PM

It didn’t appeal at all. Emilio peaked in it.

by Anonymousreply 172July 22, 2019 2:19 PM

Wasn’t Emilio already like 30 in this?

by Anonymousreply 173July 22, 2019 2:26 PM

he was 22.

by Anonymousreply 174July 22, 2019 2:53 PM

WEHT to Judge Reinhold? He just disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 175July 22, 2019 3:02 PM

Judd Nelson can put his flared nostrils between my legs anytime he wants. I loved his beautiful tweed coat at the end almost as much as I loved him.

by Anonymousreply 176July 22, 2019 3:23 PM

Blu-ray interviews with Molly and Ally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 23, 2019 4:20 PM

Blu-ray interviews with Molly and Ally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 23, 2019 4:20 PM

[quote]I loved his beautiful tweed coat at the end almost as much as I loved him.

Why don’t guys wear cool coats anymore? I was a college freshman in 1985 and a good coat made any guy about 50 percent hotter to me.

by Anonymousreply 179August 21, 2019 4:34 AM

You are so right R179. John Cusack wore a cool coat in Say Anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180August 21, 2019 1:12 PM

Oh my gosh that NY Magazine article was terrible!! The focus of Estevez was tiresome. God they were all boring!

by Anonymousreply 181August 22, 2019 3:56 AM

I used to think Estevez was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 182December 20, 2019 12:40 PM

Dumb movie with dumb characters that dumb audience members went to see.

by Anonymousreply 183December 20, 2019 8:48 PM

The movie tried too hard to be cool........

by Anonymousreply 184December 20, 2019 8:52 PM

It was cool

by Anonymousreply 185December 20, 2019 11:02 PM

[quote]Judd Nelson can put his flared nostrils between my legs anytime he wants. I loved his beautiful tweed coat at the end almost as much as I loved him.

Well, here ya go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 21, 2019 12:52 AM

R179 Columbine Trenchcoat Mafia?

by Anonymousreply 187December 21, 2019 2:06 PM

"Boogadah, Boogadah, Boogadah, AH AH AH!" What the hell was up with THAT! Were they in some kind of club where that was their saying? Anyway, it was so fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 188December 21, 2019 3:37 PM

I did not like it when it first came out, but I watched it again years later and parts of it grew on me.

Saw it again about a year ago. It has not aged well.

by Anonymousreply 189December 21, 2019 3:39 PM

I liked it, personally.

by Anonymousreply 190September 13, 2020 12:42 AM

I just can't get into it. I can't connect to any of the characters.

Heck, something like Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, the teenagers were more realistic in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 191September 13, 2020 12:46 AM

This is 35 years old now

by Anonymousreply 192September 13, 2020 12:48 AM

I did not...but to be fair I hate all of John Hughes films.

by Anonymousreply 193September 13, 2020 12:49 AM

R193 EVEN HOME ALONE?!

by Anonymousreply 194September 13, 2020 12:50 AM

The casting was off - Emilio was hard to beleive when he is 5'2" tall. Hall always played the geek, the should have gotten someone else. Judd Nelson was good so was Ally Sheedy. Molly Ringwald as the super popular girl? Nope not even for a second- she and Sheedy should have switched roles.

by Anonymousreply 195September 13, 2020 12:59 AM

No. Ringwald was great in this. And looked pretty for once.

by Anonymousreply 196September 13, 2020 1:01 AM

R194 Yes. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 197September 13, 2020 1:04 AM

r196 no ginger can be the pretty one - they lack a soul.

by Anonymousreply 198September 13, 2020 1:13 AM

The teacher assigned detention duty.

by Anonymousreply 199September 13, 2020 1:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!