Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Someone please explain Hermès Birkin bags to me

I guess I don't understand the world of the ultra-wealthy.

Why would someone pay tens of thousands of dollars on one of these bags?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341December 15, 2020 11:40 AM

I’ve often wondered about the appeal. Every hag on a reality show has one.

I’ve actually heard of people buying them as an ‘investment’.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2019 2:50 PM

It's a status symbol. Like having the latest Apple gadget to show off and declare yourself as superior being for owning one, or several status symbols.

Like guys who show off the latest model of some fancy car manufacturer or some great McMansion or the new, big swimming pool in the back yard. It's all about impressing others to make them feel small and in the process make you feel bigger or at least better about yourself.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2019 2:54 PM

because you can’t . . .

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2019 2:56 PM

I wonder how much of the price is profit.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2019 3:03 PM

Thanks r2

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2019 10:03 AM

The quality is top notch though, it is expensive, but it is a good investment piece.

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2019 10:08 AM

Weren’t they additionally aspirational for fraus everywhere for a while, like Manolo Blahnik shoes, because of a SATC subplot?

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2019 10:09 AM

r6 no bag on Earth is worth 70K based on quality.

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2019 10:17 AM

I once knew a woman who was seriously into these incredibly expensive high-end handbags, she'd buy and sell them on ebay, and claimed to make a profit doing so. She'd never leave the house without a handbag that cost five figures.

She was... a big gal. Very big. I always thought that the handbags were the only high-end fashion item that was available to her, she couldn't wear the clothes or the shoes.

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2019 10:25 AM

They look matronly and dull. Ugly colors too.

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2019 10:44 AM

Those bags exist only to remind you that humans are incredibly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2019 10:45 AM

I wonder if R9 and I knew the same gal. The one I knew had a whole closet of uber-expensive bags: several Hermes lines (including Birkin and Kelly), alligator skin Lana Marks, etc. Every once in a while, she would claim that the closet was getting too crowded, that the bags couldn't breathe (!), so she would give away some.

Regarding Hermès, unlike, say, LV, there aren't as many fakes around that you'd automatically assume that you see on some random woman is a fake. Plus, they are still handmade, I believe, so the quality is there, unlike, again, LV.

They are basically what a Rolex watch or an expensive sporty car are to the wealthy men - an instantly recognizable status symbol.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2019 10:50 AM

Oh honey ! If it needs to be explained to you , then you're better off thinking Louis Vuitton or whatever your unrefined brain has convinced you is "good taste"

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2019 10:56 AM

The most expensive ones, the crocodile bags, probably cost no more than $250.00 to manufacture. These are bags for stupid women with far more money than brains. Plus they're bags for idiots who are just asking to be mugged if they dare go out alone carrying one of the things.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2019 11:06 AM

big scam, they cost so little to make, rich bitches need to wise up and invest in nice jewels or art. geeeeesh

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2019 11:10 AM

It's a status symbol, just like any other. That's all there is to it. Same reason people buy luxury cars or very expensive watches even though the normal prized ones would do the job just as fine.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2019 11:28 AM

It’s not just stupid women...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2019 11:32 AM

Something happened a couple of years ago and now you see ugly Louis Vitton bags everywhere. Did they create a cheaper line?

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2019 11:41 AM

WOWEE! I recently saw a young woman, (mid 20's-late 20's), in my office building with one of these bags. The bag in the link is the one that she had except the color was brown...natural... whatever. Anyway, I immediately noticed the quality of the bag and since I viewed it from a different angle I began playing a game in my head of trying to determine the maker.

I thought it was a COACH and was looking for the little tag to confirm my guess. But, then she turned to a different angle and I saw the "H" motif. Okay... Hermès... I still prided myself on recognizing quality. While we were in the elevator I spoke to the young woman and told her of my antics. She was very nice and seemed as if she is genuinely a nice person. She complimented me on my eye and told me that I was very good. I could see from her face that I made her feel good in telling her my story and recognizing her bag

I had no idea that this is a $3,199.00 bag!

WOW! A leather bag with a cloth strap can command $3,199.00? I need to start learning how to make handbags and how to hand stitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2019 11:46 AM

Johnny loves his Birkins too. Pretty sure the divorce involved a fight over one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2019 11:52 AM

It's usually the middle class and the nuveau riche that fall for these overpriced scams desperate to fit in with high society and look like they belong.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2019 12:27 PM

The irony being... Jane Birkin was known for carrying a wicker market basket as her handbag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2019 12:47 PM

Another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2019 12:48 PM

The original “Birkin” was a wicker fucking basket.

(I love this)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2019 12:50 PM

One more, and I’ll stop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2019 12:51 PM

r9 I think your observation is fascinating.

I think I've seen a similar dynamic with some (not all) obese women who spent a ton of their time on hair and makeup, because it's one part of their performance that they can completely control.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2019 1:02 PM

a book on a man who travels the world to get the special purses for his clients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2019 1:03 PM

r26 "performance" should be "appearance"

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2019 1:21 PM

I think performance is quite apt.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2019 1:40 PM

r29 = Judith Butler

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2019 1:41 PM

There was a woman who called herself Lady Brooks’ who had a blog devoted to those who, like herself, appreciated the “finer things in life”. One of the links she provided was to a website that sold Birkins for under $500.00

Alas, Lady Brooks’ blog has gone dark and I am unable to provide a link.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2019 1:53 PM

R30 Ha!

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2019 1:57 PM

I remember learning that the old lady bags (brown on brown with a stupid design and pebbled leather) were super expensive. The 90s were so weird. How did people slide into such frumpy taste?

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2019 2:04 PM

Kelly Bishop can do it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2019 2:10 PM

I usually only see Old Lez on the beloved Treason threads, love that you can talk Birkins too.

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2019 2:13 PM

We wouldn't be caught dead, alive or vegetative carrying a "status symbol" bag.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2019 2:21 PM

Ugly.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2019 2:23 PM

I work for a company that makes a luxury product. One thing I will say is that these very high end French and Italian companies keep highly skilled craftsman employed. They are coveted, well paid and have good working environments. The company I work for has mostly female seamstress' and embroiderers. I've been in plenty of work rooms. Not everything can be made in sweat shops.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2019 2:36 PM

[quote]The quality is top notch though, it is expensive, but it is a good investment piece.

No it isn't. They don't go up in value.

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2019 2:38 PM

It really sucks when you lose one in a fiery car crash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2019 2:49 PM

When I was in high school in the 60's all the gals wanted a John Romaine. My how things have changed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2019 2:49 PM

255 THOUSAND DOLLARS for this tacky thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2019 2:53 PM

The sad thing is that if the manufacturer brought the retail prices down to what these things are really worth (somewhere between $200.00 and $750.00), the sales would drop off to the point they'd probably have to stop production. The incredibly rich can be incredibly gullible and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2019 2:55 PM

That thing in R19 is ugly and crude looking.

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2019 2:57 PM

[quote]The quality is top notch though, it is expensive, but it is a good investment piece.

That depends if there is a demand for it. Once again, I think this comes down to how a person defines quality. There's no question that Hermès bags are well made but what is the justification for a bag over $1000? I mean... there might be. Maybe you can educate us, R38?

I personally look for the quality of leather, the stitching, hardware, construction, and the time that I believe to make the piece. I also look at what type of customer service support and servicing a product offers. I think I would value and appreciate more (and pay for) for a completely hand stitched product rather than pay the type of money that Hermès' command. For example, the bag in the link;

The Nest Briefcase is made of full grain Horween leather and is completely hand stitched with waxed polyester thread. All of the stress points are reinforced with solid copper rivets.

This briefcase is completely handmade in a small workshop in San Diego, CA. Every stitch is meticulously placed by hand, and no machines are ever used. This type of old-world craftsmanship is becoming an increasingly rare thing in the current world of fast fashion and mass produced factory goods. Each ZeeBee Leather piece is made by one person from start to finish: a craftsman who is utterly quality obsessed. The level of finishing and attention to detail on a ZeeBee Leather piece is what separates a bag made in a factory from one made by a single craftsman. Every edge is burnished to achieve an authentically smooth finish and an attractive appearance, instead of using edge paints which are prone to cracking and peeling.

All ZeeBee Leather products come with a Lifetime Warranty because we don't think you'll ever need to use it, but if you ever have an issue, we'll make it right.

Due to this item's custom, hand-made nature, it cannot be returned, and there will be a 8-12 week wait after your purchase date to receive it.

$3,250.00

And, I'm sure if one saw a Hermès bag that they liked there would be companies that could copy it (with some modification to avoid infringements. For example; the Hermès bag in R19. Instead of the "H" it could be the owners initials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2019 3:05 PM

I actually like R42 and if I had that type of money I would consider buying it. From what I have read about that particular bag the selection of the "right" materials is paramount and not an easy task. Then you have the matching of skins. Then they only make a certain number of them each year,etc.

Could that be all marketing mumbo-jumbo? Well... yes. But, if it's true then I would say that there is something to charging a high price. Now, should $255,000 be that price I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2019 3:12 PM

FYI: Horween leather re The Nest Briefcase pictured in the post, R45

What is Horween leather made of?

The tanning process. About 85% of the leather at Horween Leather Company is made from cowhide. The company's workers take raw hides, which arrive salted to prevent deterioration, trim them, and remove their hair with chemicals in an extremely large washing drum.

Where does Horween leather come from?

With global leather production having moved overseas to lower-cost regions like Asia and South America over the last quarter century, Horween has evolved into a maker of high-end leather for luxury goods. It is one of the world's last remaining producers of shell cordovan, a durable leather derived from horse rumps.

Is Horween leather waterproof?

Horween use a carefully guarded blend of bark extracts for the retanning stage and the result is a soft but tough leather that's returned to its natural color. ... Once it's been retanned and dried it's hot-stuffed to make sure it stays supple and waterproof, by impregnating the leather with natural oils and waxes.

There is other stuff too but you should be able to follow the point re the quality of the raw materials used in construction. But, the important thing about luxury goods, (in my opinion), is to know exactly what you are buying and exactly why you are buying it. Bottom line; What makes an heirloom.

by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2019 3:25 PM

People responding with variations of "Status Symbol": OP KNOWS THAT! The question is WHY are they?

There is no outstanding beauty. No singular renowned artist. No hegemony on ownership of the raw materials (unlike DeBeers diamond mines); no unique techniques in the construction (or are there? Many goods are hand-made.)

by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2019 3:30 PM

You could also ask why someone would pay $40 million for some Van Gogh Sunflowers, or thousands of $ for a bottle of wine, expensive dinners, cars, or jewelry etc..

My mother collects expensive designer shoes. She loves them and looks at them as pieces of art. I don’t judge people based on their possessions. Buy what you love and what makes you happy.

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2019 3:31 PM

Even Jane Birkin really didn't like the Birkin bag. Birkin bag. From Wikipedia, for what it's worth,

Hermès Ostrich Birkin bag. In 1983, Hermès chief executive Jean-Louis Dumas was seated next to Birkin on a flight from Paris to London. Birkin had just placed her straw bag in the overhead compartment of her seat, but the contents fell to the floor, leaving her to scramble to replace the contents. Birkin explained to Dumas that it had been difficult to find a leather weekend bag she liked.[34] In 1984, he created a black supple leather bag for her: the Birkin bag,[35][36] based on a 1982 design. She used the bag initially, but later changed her mind because she was carrying too many things in it: "What's the use of having a second one?" she said laughingly. "You only need one and that busts your arm; they're bloody heavy. I'm going to have to have an operation for tendonitis in the shoulder."[37] Nonetheless, Birkin did use the bag for some time.[38] The Birkin bag has, over the years, become a status symbol, with prices ranging from US$10,000 to $150,000.[39]

In 2015, Birkin wrote a public letter to Hermès requesting her name be removed from the bag,[39] stating she wanted the company to "debaptise the Birkin Croco until better practices in line with international norms can be put in place," referring to the cruel methods used to acquire the skins for the bags.[40] Hermès announced soon afterwards that it had satisfied Birkin with new reassurances on this.[41]

by Anonymousreply 50June 2, 2019 3:35 PM

R48 here. Apologies to r47, who did indeed explain (and refute my claims) the uniqueness of these handbags.

Nevertheless, the prices are exorbitant to assure the rich that they have something beyond the reach of the masses.

by Anonymousreply 51June 2, 2019 3:35 PM

R45 the careful construction of that briefcase is all very well, but why does it have to be so frumpy looking?

by Anonymousreply 52June 2, 2019 3:38 PM

OP Google Karl Marx and imaginary appetites.

by Anonymousreply 53June 2, 2019 3:44 PM

I love the bag in r41!

by Anonymousreply 54June 2, 2019 3:46 PM

[quote]That thing in [R19] is ugly and crude looking.

Okay. and that's you opinion. But, I will say this, that I noticed the bag immediately as the young woman carried it. And, I didn't notice it because I knew that it was Hermès. I instantly saw the quality and the craftsmanship of work of the product. But craftsmanship, etc does not necessarily have to equate to thousands of dollars spent. The following will be two posts and then I'm done (but, I LOVE discussing this stuff because it gives me the opportunity to learn too!)

I fell in love with this bag pictured below.

The goat leather for the Navigator bag was tanned in Morocco naturally; without the use of harsh chemicals. The leather was prepared for treated for over six months in order to create the durable bag.The bag is handmade with the upmost attention by trained master artisans. The rich color tones were created naturally and completed with a matte (oil) finish. Over time this leather bag will soften and the color will darken. The handmade soft, suede- like interior is incredibly durable. The combination of Moroccan tanned leather and durable cloth interior, and Moroccan craftsmanship make our leather bags of the highest quality. Please Note: all of our bags are handmade and unique. There may be slight color and stitching variations.

Price: $520 USD

Hmm.... as I thought to myself.... But, it's origins are Moroccan? WELL! Let's see what is in Morocco!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 2, 2019 3:47 PM

My opinion - if you have less than 10 times the cash IN the bag than you paid for the bag, you're a poseur.

by Anonymousreply 56June 2, 2019 3:48 PM

I then found this!

Does anyone see a difference?

I then searched for leather goods in Morocco

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 2, 2019 3:48 PM

r54 me too!

Looks like an old-time radio.

by Anonymousreply 58June 2, 2019 3:51 PM

A quick search found this from a Moroccan leather shop

Price: $85 USD (the shipping would be like another $60-80)

Do you REALLY see much of a difference? It is the same dimensions, etc as the bag above.

Sorry, for the 3rd posting. But, now I'm done....

[quote][R45] the careful construction of that briefcase is all very well, but why does it have to be so frumpy looking?

The company has other bags. Go to its site. Maybe you will see something that you like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 2, 2019 3:54 PM

Can they be resold at a profit? If not, waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 60June 2, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote]Can they be resold at a profit? If not, waste of money.

They sure can! This clip features the book and author cited by R27

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 2, 2019 4:06 PM

More about the Himalayan bag,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 2, 2019 4:11 PM

Birkins are ok, I don’t get it myself, but to each their own. The really great Hermes bag is the Kelly. It’s shaped like a birkin but an actually manageable size (it’s not a mini-suitcase hanging off your arm). Kelly bags aren’t in demand like Birkins are. Don’t know why. They’re pretty similar.

by Anonymousreply 63June 2, 2019 4:16 PM

[quote] No it isn't. They don't go up in value.

Not true R39. Many of them do go up in value or hold their price.

The bag at R45 is undoubtedly well made, but it's not a fashion piece. A woman wearing Chanel or Dior is not going to carry something that looks like that.

Also: many of the designer bags are limited edition, made for the season. These houses employ designers, craftsman, they have to manufacture all new hardware and embellishments for a limited run. . It's not a cheap process. They'll have details that the average person won't even notice. And these workers are well paid. Have health care. Maternity leave. Time off for illness and yearly vacation. And taxes for these companies are exorbitant.

These companies have to make a profit. it's not like they sell huge numbers of these things. It's not Walmart.

Below at the link is Bottega Veneta. Scroll down for the video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 2, 2019 4:22 PM

The workrooms of Brunello Cuccinelli.

Look at the environment the company has created for his workers. These are not 10 year old Vietnamese children working in a sweatshop.

I'm happy there are women willing to pay those prices to keep this reality going.

Click around the website for an even better idea of how a genuine luxury company does things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 2, 2019 4:28 PM

To make the other mothers at book club jealous. It's not like the money would be better spent on Ainsley's braces or Skylor's ADHD meds.

by Anonymousreply 66June 2, 2019 4:44 PM

R59, the big difference is in the material. Those Moroccan bags are made out of goatskin which is far cheaper than the top grain cattle hide used in superior quality products.

by Anonymousreply 67June 2, 2019 4:55 PM

EXCELLENT videos, R64! I watched the handbag and the men's clothing clips. I enjoyed them!

Once again, it comes down to knowing what you are buying and why you are buying it. It will only be then that you can appreciate a price point of an item. Just because something says PRADA doesn't mean that it is worth a lot of money. I'm still floored that the company launched a T-Shirt/undershirt, (you know the kind you wear under your dress shirt...think HANES), that retailed for $400!!! My darlings, I searched high and low to learn more about that garment. Where was the cotton coming from, where was the cotton woven, who stitched it, etc! What was it about an undershirt garment that would/could possibly justify a $400 retail price tag--and not even packaged as 3/pack!?! Well.... the name PRADA... LOL! WERE THEY KIDDING! A simple white polyester/cotton blend (more polyester) undershirt for $400? LOL!

So, from that example you can see that many designers are laughing hysterically at consumers. Most consumers don't know what they are buying--or care. Most men have no idea about why a fully lined suit is much better than one that is not. Many people have no idea about why a pleated skirt/dress costs so much and is so expensive to dry clean. You should educate yourself about that process... But, the bottom line is; What does it matter? If it looks nice and has a brand name... OH! and "looks" expensive, who would care? It's not just clothing but it is other luxury goods as well. But then... there are those of us who DO know and who DO care...

The video below is a tutorial on the making of an alligator purse. It's hard work!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 2, 2019 4:56 PM

[quote] People responding with variations of "Status Symbol": OP KNOWS THAT! The question is WHY are they?

The answer to that is as obvious as them being status symbols. Tastemakers like Anna Wintour decide, though media PR hype, that these are items to have in order to set yourself apart from common people.

by Anonymousreply 69June 2, 2019 4:58 PM

sorry, through media PR hype,

by Anonymousreply 70June 2, 2019 4:59 PM

[quote]Do you REALLY see much of a difference? It is the same dimensions, etc as the bag above.

[quote][R59], the big difference is in the material. Those Moroccan bags are made out of goatskin which is far cheaper than the top grain cattle hide used in superior quality products.

AH! GREAT catch!!! And, that is what I caught too. That is why I bought the bag from the company in R57. $169 was a far better price to pay than $520! But, to be honest with you, the real reason why I didn't not buy it from the Moroccan leather company was the shipping costs. The cost of the bag and shipping would be nearly the same as the $169 that I paid.

by Anonymousreply 71June 2, 2019 5:05 PM

R41 I wish they would go back to a nice John Romaine or oxblood Aigner bag, they were so much better looking and elegant.

by Anonymousreply 72June 2, 2019 5:06 PM

I dont get the point of them either. At the end of the day, you lay them on the floor like an old pair of shoes, and occasionally will spill drinks on them, like anything else. It'll just pain you more because you spent 50k.

by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2019 5:08 PM

r50, so if Birkin herself didn't design the bag, does she get some percentage of the profits? I should certainly hope so. But if it was initially designed without her knowledge, I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2019 5:10 PM

[quote] At the end of the day, you lay them on the floor like an old pair of shoes,

Tsk, tsk, tsk! " In many cultures, laying something on the floor is a sign of disrespect for that object. Since a purse holds money, the belief goes, that you are snubbing those funds if you place them on the ground. So, next time, think twice before putting your handbag on the floor---instead place it over a chair or even on your lap!"

[quote]so if Birkin herself didn't design the bag, does she get some percentage of the profits?

She does receive a royalty to this very day that she reportedly donates to charity.

by Anonymousreply 75June 2, 2019 5:13 PM

But can it organize like an Avon business tote?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 2, 2019 5:13 PM

R68 Not necessarily true about unlined jackets. A high end unlined jacket will have all of the interior stitching finished with a ribbon border edge. The inside of the jacket must be as perfect as the outside. Linings can hide imperfections. That's why a good unlined jacket will cost more. There is more work involved.

by Anonymousreply 77June 2, 2019 5:19 PM

Hermès bags have little “feet” at all four corners so that they don’t touch the floor.

by Anonymousreply 78June 2, 2019 5:24 PM

Your point is well taken, R77. I think it comes down to a matter of preference. A fully lined suit just falls better to me and then you have the inside pockets that I find useful.

by Anonymousreply 79June 2, 2019 5:25 PM

Speaking of suits, if it’s not made entirely from natural fibers it’s a cheap, disgusting thing. What passes for suits these days is horrific.

by Anonymousreply 80June 2, 2019 5:27 PM

R75 Maybe in those cultures, but not in American culture.

by Anonymousreply 81June 2, 2019 5:33 PM

I don't understand it either. My sister gave me a rather expensive bag for Xmas years ago. I was the type to go to Chinatown and get a knockoff and be perfectly happy. I'm content with the basics of life - food, shelter and enough money to live a comfortable life.

I know that the bag my sister brought cost between $100-150 and I had so much anxiety at the thought of using it. I was so worried it would get dirty or scuffed or damaged that I put it in my closet instead of using it. Eventually, I gave it back to her, explaining my issue. She refused at first but I told her one of us should get some use out of it.

by Anonymousreply 82June 2, 2019 5:35 PM

[quote] Someone please explain Hermès Birkin bags to me

[quote] I guess I don't understand the world of the ultra-wealthy.

[quote] Why would someone pay tens of thousands of dollars on one of these bags?

Because we give them the power to be important to us. Like we give money the value it has in our lives. We are conditioned to believe that these are things that worthy (aka wealthy) people own. And we do want to feel worthy, don't we?

by Anonymousreply 83June 2, 2019 5:43 PM

Doesn’t Cheap Spice have millions of dollars of this tatt?

by Anonymousreply 84June 2, 2019 5:47 PM

They're only worth what people are willing to pay for them. For some reason, women have decided that these bags are worth huge sums of money and they dream of having one and showing it off and feeling special. That's ok. There are all kinds of luxury items that fulfill the same function. There was bound to be a handbag like this, since they fulfill such a necessary function for women.

by Anonymousreply 85June 2, 2019 6:11 PM

FYI;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 2, 2019 6:12 PM

[quote]Like having the latest Apple gadget to show off and declare yourself as superior being for owning one, or several status symbols.

One of the top billion.

by Anonymousreply 87June 2, 2019 6:18 PM

To have.

by Anonymousreply 88June 2, 2019 6:19 PM

R3's concision is a delight.

by Anonymousreply 89June 2, 2019 6:20 PM

[quote]They're only worth what people are willing to pay for them. For some reason, women have decided that these bags are worth huge sums of money and they dream of having one and showing it off and feeling special. That's ok. There are all kinds of luxury items that fulfill the same function.

You study hard. You work hard. You pay your bills on time. You give to charity and help others, etc. Many yearn for something that can encapsulate all of that in one fell swoop. I own a top of the line ROLEX watch. I don't show it off. There are some people who notice it and will say something. There are those who notice it and say nothing. There are those who don't notice it all. I couldn't care less either way. But, every time I look at it, I get a sense of happiness and pride and that is all that matters. Could I have a TIMEX or some other watch that works. Yes, and I do. I don't wear them now, but I have my Mickey Mouse watch which was my very first "grown-up" time piece. and a watch that my mother gave me when I graduated from high school. That was a VERY expensive time piece, (the company no longer exists and it is considered a collector's item), that was a HUGE financial sacrifice for my family. But, every now and then I'll open my drawer and look at them and feel the same sense of happiness and pride. So, for many people it's not about showing off and seeking "whatever" from others.

by Anonymousreply 90June 2, 2019 6:30 PM

I have my father's gold Rolex. I rarely wear it, but when I do I feel a twinge of nostalgia and pride.

by Anonymousreply 91June 2, 2019 6:33 PM

I love cars. If I had millions I’d probably waste it all on cars.

by Anonymousreply 92June 2, 2019 6:34 PM

I like the vintage bag in r41 and would love to find one at one of my thrift shops.

by Anonymousreply 93June 2, 2019 6:36 PM

OH!!!! There IS a PRADA undershirt: 3 in a package deal....

PRADA

Three-Pack Cotton-Jersey T-Shirts

Prada calls these plain white tees 'Obvious Classics #1' - as the name suggests, they're part of the Italian house's range of timeless staples. These T-shirts come in a pack of three and are cut from smooth cotton-jersey in a comfortable fit. Apart from the discreet diamond emblem stitched on the reverse, they're free from extraneous detail.

White cotton-jersey

Ribbed crew neck, designer emblem

100% cotton

Hand wash or dry clean

Imported

$260

I guess I'll just have to run right out and get those.... (eyes roll)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 2, 2019 6:54 PM

Some context on Birkin’s original bag:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 2, 2019 6:56 PM

R90, And good on ya. But women don't carry Birkin bags thinking the bag might not be noticed; that would offer zero satisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 96June 2, 2019 6:58 PM

People who buy these types of items are people who desperately want to feel that they're better than other people, and want others to look at them and think "I wish I was her",

by Anonymousreply 97June 2, 2019 7:05 PM

If you’re worth a billion, what is $10k? The thing I don’t like is when exotic animals are slaughtered for luxury goods.

by Anonymousreply 98June 2, 2019 7:14 PM

Oh, I don't know, R96. While I won't speak for women (since I'm a man) I would think that women could feel the same sort of happiness, pride, and accomplishment, by buying a handbag that they always wanted and loved--especially, if they buy it themselves.

I recall the BIG brouhaha that Martha Stewart faced when she was on trial and carried her Birkin bag to court. It was VERY sexist but the press made a BIG hullabaloo over her and that bag! Poor Martha was FORCED to come out and explain that she only owned one bag, that she bought it herself, and that she worked hard to own the bag. In fact, I JUST found something on that period in time;

"Martha goes for a Birkin in court battle of the bags"

Martha Stewart's taste in accessories - and in particular her flaunting of an exclusive Hermes Birkin handbag - have emerged as early tests of the domestic diva's nerve at her trial for fraud.

America's first lady of interiors staged a haughty show of disdain for her many enemies as she arrived at court yesterday parading one of the chic bags named after Jane Birkin, the British actress beloved by the French.

A brown Birkin costs at least £3,275 but is so oversubscribed that Hermes stopped taking new orders two years ago.

Mrs Stewart, 62, carried it to the opening day of her trial and immediately provoked speculation that it would antagonise the jury.

On Day Two the Birkin was hidden from view on the steps outside the court but mysteriously surfaced inside.

There was speculation that, on the advice of her lawyers, Mrs Stewart smuggled her Birkin inside a cheaper, less ostentatious black holdall.

But yesterday, Day Three, the brazen symbol of wealth and privilege appeared to make a defiant return, signalling her determination to be herself however unpopular it makes her.

The Birkin, sister of the Kelly, named in honour of Princess Grace of Monaco, is now so oversubscribed that there is a waiting list to get on the waiting list to buy one. It is also, to use a term that has instant recognition in America, "very Martha".

Mrs Stewart's advice on cooking, decorating and gardening at one point made her a dollar billionaire. But she is now fighting to clear her name of charges that she lied about a sale of stock in 2001.

The obsession with her choice of handbags has dominated coverage of the opening of her trial, in part because the Birkin chimes with Mrs Stewart's popular image as a formidable snob.

But it also reflects the lack of anything more significant to report on save for the grilling of potential members of jury, held away from the gaze of the media. Transcripts of the interrogation of jury members in the judge's chambers reveal a sharp split in the public between those who love her and those who hate her.

Many of the men and women selected as possible candidates have had their lives touched by Mrs Stewart and her empire.

One man confessed that his wife had been "unfairly fired" from her company but maintained that this would not cloud his judgment. He was dismissed from jury duty.

One female psychoanalyst confessed to owning "a lot of Martha Stewart stuff" and described America's best known domestic goddess as "a very strong and powerful role model for a lot of women in our society".

She was also stood down. As she left the room, she turned to Mrs Stewart and said: "I am a huge fan. Good luck."

Jury selection is expected to end today with the trial beginning in earnest next week. Mrs Stewart has pleaded not guilty to five charges of fraud, obstructing justice and conspiracy.

by Anonymousreply 99June 2, 2019 7:15 PM

Always thought it was funny that Jane Birkin became the namesake for these flashy, ostentatious luxury items. The woman herself seems quite modest and unassuming.

by Anonymousreply 100June 2, 2019 7:20 PM

Because they're made of the skin of celebrity Internet cats!

by Anonymousreply 101June 2, 2019 7:22 PM

R100 the birkin bag is not flashy or ostentatious. The price is. The bag is tasteful.

by Anonymousreply 102June 2, 2019 7:28 PM

R95, Thank you! Highly enjoyable reading!

But she never revealed what she paid....

by Anonymousreply 103June 2, 2019 7:30 PM

R102 just like every brand that used to considered tasteful, they now cater to the “real housewives” set. Look at Rolls Royce, once a car only the upper class would acquire, now it’s a must have for celebrity whores and trash with money.

by Anonymousreply 104June 2, 2019 7:32 PM

[quote] Not necessarily true about unlined jackets. A high end unlined jacket will have all of the interior stitching finished with a ribbon border edge. The inside of the jacket must be as perfect as the outside. Linings can hide imperfections. That's why a good unlined jacket will cost more. There is more work involved.

I totally agree. I love to see a well-made item of clothing, with the edges done like that.

I've watched a lot of videos (YouTube) on the high-end bags, e.g., Birkin. New bags actually do go up in price pretty quickly. However, there are things that affect resale: color of the bag and *condition*. Also, you have to store the bags (stuffed, not crushed, etc.). The black bags will be easier to sell than the colorful ones, etc.

by Anonymousreply 105June 2, 2019 7:39 PM

Kellys are in just as much demand as Birkins. Collectors currently consider the top 3 Hermes bags to be "BKC"---Birkin, Kelly, and Constance, which is a completely boring bag, like the Evelyne (the one with the perforated H on it)---but B and K are the ultimate prizes.

No, Jane Birkin didn't have anything to do with the design, and it wasn't a new design, anyway. Hermés was originally (and still is) a saddlemaking and equestrian accessories firm. Many of their bags derive from those original functional designs. The Birkin was a smaller version of the Haut a Corroies (https://bagaholicboy.com/2011/10/hermes-haut-a-courroies/). The Evelyne was originally a bag for horse grooms to carry their accessories like brushes, and those holes forming the H were air holes. It was meant to be carried with the H toward the body, but of course, if you're the type of person to pay $3400 for what is essentially a higher-end Coach bag, of course you're going to show off the logo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 2, 2019 7:41 PM

That's a beautiful story, R82. Good for you in knowing yourself and realizing that you would never enjoy and/or feel comfortable with such a bag. GOODS, (luxury or not), ARE MEANT TO BE USED! If you can't feel comfortable walking in the ghetto of ghettos wearing a full length sable fur coat as you would on Rodeo Drive, (well it's HOT there), rather 5th Avenue, then you shouldn't own such an item. But, my take of your story is how much your sister loved you, and did whatever she had to do, because she wanted you to have such an item. However, your love for her was equally shown when you returned it to her and encouraged her to use it for herself. Nice story!

by Anonymousreply 107June 2, 2019 7:41 PM

Re. Prada and those 250$ t-shirts.

If you're talking about the top tier Italian luxury brands you have to understand the whole picture (see Brunello Cuccinelli and Bodega Veneta posted above). These companies invest millions in architecture, work environments and especially culture.

The companies that make your 25$ Walmart handbag do nothing but exploit.

Scroll down to "Production sites"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 2, 2019 7:42 PM

Prada art museum Milan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 2, 2019 7:44 PM

Thanks for the kind words R107!

by Anonymousreply 110June 2, 2019 7:47 PM

Prada cultural inititives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 2, 2019 7:47 PM

^Baby, I'm sure you have a point but I'm NOT going to spend $250-400 on a white cotton jersey undershirt/T-Shirt! I believe I can get a better deal elsewhere and find those companies that don't exploit laborers.

And then they want you to dry clean or hand wash them???

I'd check my own self into a mental institution....

by Anonymousreply 112June 2, 2019 7:47 PM

R112 I wouldn't buy them either. I work for a company that makes bed linens that cost thousands. I buy mine from Ikea.

But I'm happy to see that these genuine luxury houses can still exist, employ craftsman and promote good architecture and cultural endeavors, not to mention the schools many of them operate to train craftsman.

by Anonymousreply 113June 2, 2019 7:54 PM

[quote]Look at Rolls Royce, once a car only the upper class would acquire, now it’s a must have for celebrity whores and trash with money.

And, that's why I wouldn't touch one now. By the way, you forgot to mention that the R2 is now the choice of these Pentecostal/Prosperity preachers. Ugh.... Just disgusting! BUT....

I do love me a Bentley sedan! The old ones! I've only owned 2 cars in my entire life. They were both Jaguars XJ6 & XJ12 sedans, (both kelly green with tan interior--thank you very much!) I LOVED them. I walked and took public transportation for many years until I could afford what I wanted. I never liked or wanted any other type of car. Then I moved back to NYC and I had no need for a car and so I sold it. However, when I decide to buy another car it will Bentley sedan.

OH! I just LOVE it!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 2, 2019 8:05 PM

Mine was full of poop

by Anonymousreply 115June 2, 2019 8:06 PM

[quote]But I'm happy to see that these genuine luxury houses can still exist, employ craftsman and promote good architecture and cultural endeavors, not to mention the schools many of them operate to train craftsman.

On this I would have to agree with you. I absolutely HATE things that give the look of luxury and quality but are nothing more than press board and contact paper. These are items that photograph well but that are shit... excuse me, poorly made and machine fabricated. We're really at risk of losing so many artisans and craftsmen. That's why I feel that people need to educate themselves about what they are buying. But again... does it matter? As long as you think that I'm carrying an Hermès, LV, GUCCI, or whatever else, and that causes you to believe that I'm successful, rich, etc then isn't that all that matters?

by Anonymousreply 116June 2, 2019 8:17 PM

"I'm hungry."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 2, 2019 8:25 PM

^Oh please, R117. That doesn't work on me. I give, volunteer, etc much more than many, many, others to even think of having any type of a guilty conscience. Nice photo selection, though!!! Quite effective...

by Anonymousreply 118June 2, 2019 8:32 PM

R117 If you're worried about the plight of children be careful of the cheap merchandise you're buying.

R116 Some people genuinely like to be surrounded by nice things and have the money to do so. Good for them.

True luxury merchandise is a world. It's a world that you enter into. From the moment the door man of the Valentino shop opens the door for you and you walk into the shop designed by David Chipperfield. You are coddled and catered to. When you leave the shop you're on a beautiful avenue surrounded by other beautiful shops. It's more than just the bag, it's a lifestyle. It's the way people with millions and millions live. They're not going to be standing at the checkout at Target.

by Anonymousreply 119June 2, 2019 8:33 PM

[quote]True luxury merchandise is a world. It's a world that you enter into. From the moment the door man of the Valentino shop opens the door for you and you walk into the shop designed by David Chipperfield. You are coddled and catered to. When you leave the shop you're on a beautiful avenue surrounded by other beautiful shops. It's more than just the bag, it's a lifestyle.

This lifestyle seems rather vacuous.

by Anonymousreply 120June 2, 2019 8:48 PM

Well R75, thank you for the cultural insight, but such mandates don't apply to me. I throw lots of crap on the floor without compunction. If I had a Birkin, I undoubtedly would do the same.

by Anonymousreply 121June 2, 2019 8:52 PM

R119, that sounds like something my sister would say. She's borderline.

by Anonymousreply 122June 2, 2019 8:54 PM

R122 You sound jealous.

by Anonymousreply 123June 2, 2019 8:59 PM

R119, you’re not going to be coddled in the Hermes store if they don’t think you’re wealthy, LOL.

And remember when Kanye gave Kim this hand-painted Birkin? Good times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 2, 2019 9:19 PM

People obsessed by status symbols are ________________

by Anonymousreply 125June 2, 2019 9:44 PM

People are concerned with status.

For some it's a Rolex watch. For others it's knowing the right social codes. People have all kind s of ways to distinguish themselves from others and place themselves above.

by Anonymousreply 126June 2, 2019 9:50 PM

I only go lucite!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 2, 2019 9:53 PM

Wasn't there like an incident with Oprah? They wouldn't let her in the store in Paris. Too lazy to search.

by Anonymousreply 128June 2, 2019 9:55 PM

[quote]you’re not going to be coddled in the Hermes store if they don’t think you’re wealthy

They won't even open the Goddamned door!

by Anonymousreply 129June 2, 2019 10:02 PM

My Birkin is entirely made out of famous internet cats!

by Anonymousreply 130June 2, 2019 10:15 PM

At Hermes, you have to have a "purchase history" with them in order to be "offered" the opportunity to buy a Birkin. Maybe not applicable at all stores, but this is how it works.

by Anonymousreply 131June 2, 2019 10:16 PM

I'm sure you are spot on for many, R119. But there are many who really don't buy into all of that kind of stuff. Speaking only for myself, I'm not looking for all that type of coddling. However, I do expect some degree of customer service. As long as a company is supportive of their products that pretty much is enough for me.

Now, is R120, 122, 125, the same person who posted R117 in an attempt to kill this thread? I can't tell since trolldar is no longer an option. Anyway...

If it is the same person that only supports my belief that most people are mentally ill. C'mon... you don't like the topic, no one is interested in your threads and what you want to discuss, no one will play with you, etc. So! You look disrupt everyone else's enjoyment on a thread with a topic that interests them? That doesn't work.

Your point is noted. You feel that people who buy luxury items, etc are vacuous. Got it. And? Do you feel that your opinion and beliefs persuades them to come to your belief and causes? It doesn't work like that. All you have possibly done is stifled a discussion where people were not only learning about new things but were contributing their own experiences too. Mazel Tov! But, Hermès is still in business, Birkin bags are still being sold--right at this second somewhere, people still want them, and people still don't want to play with you.

by Anonymousreply 132June 2, 2019 10:17 PM

[quote]Wasn't there like an incident with Oprah? They wouldn't let her in the store in Paris. Too lazy to search.

It was Switzerland and it was Hermès. A sales person wouldn't show her a handbag because she thought it was too expensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 2, 2019 10:24 PM

I bought one of those arm bags like the one carried by Kim in R125 - it was a mistake.

They look cool on other people, but all it did was give me a tired arm/sore bicep muscle. Also, it just felt awkward to walk with my arm at this angle, plus your thighs bump the bag every step you take. I found I was too busy focusing on how to hold my hand - in a fist, fingers down or to the side. That bag lasted less than a month and I went to cross body bags.

by Anonymousreply 134June 2, 2019 10:25 PM

OH! R128... You're partly correct. There were 2 incidents. A NYC store wouldn't open the door for Oprah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 2, 2019 10:32 PM

Where is the Darfur Orphan on this thread? Asleep at his post? Rations reduced to 1/4 yam/day for two weeks!

by Anonymousreply 136June 2, 2019 10:40 PM

It's a purse....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 2, 2019 10:44 PM

[quote] I still prided myself on recognizing quality. While we were in the elevator I spoke to the young woman and told her of my antics. She was very nice and seemed as if she is genuinely a nice person. She complimented me on my eye...

The wonky one?

by Anonymousreply 138June 2, 2019 10:53 PM

r132 you sound rather unhinged.

I am r120 (as well as OP), but contributed none of the other posts you cited.

by Anonymousreply 139June 2, 2019 11:22 PM

R136, I'm still here.

My mother just traded me for a Birkin bag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 2, 2019 11:34 PM

And, again, spoken like a true borderline R123.

by Anonymousreply 141June 2, 2019 11:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142June 2, 2019 11:51 PM

They are (well-made) Beanie Babies for silly millionaires. Now, of course, I suspect most of the people buying them at these price points are not buying them as an "investment" and how they spend their money is their business. But, for anyone who might really be "investing" in Birkin bags, know that, like Beanie Babies (or Dutch tulip bulbs in the 1630's) Birkin bags are (arguably) an investment only if you manage to sell them while there is still a market. But someday -- could be tomorrow, could be 10 years -- there really won't be a market for them and their value will drop and you will wish you'd purchased real estate.

by Anonymousreply 143June 2, 2019 11:56 PM

Isn't it ironic the most superior-sounding and smug comments in this thread are coming from those who just have to let us know how they feel about Birkin bag owners who buy them to "...feel superior and to make others feel less than..." Congrats! You didn't have to buy an expensive luxury item in order to feel superior and to try to make others feel less than.

by Anonymousreply 144June 3, 2019 12:14 AM

Poor, poor Birkin bag owners. The last frontier of bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 145June 3, 2019 12:17 AM

Hi R35! I I posted on a lipstick thread too. So I am not only about treason, the White House CFO and Lapland.

Btw old Lez and and are different Lezes. I’m a fan of hers.

Personally I think the Birkin bag is hideous and almost certainly over priced.

However there’s a lot to be said for buying well made items from a cost per wear perspective. Twenty years ago I bought a pair of Gucci loafers in Paris and they are still a go to item on weekends or if I wear a pantsuit to work that doesn’t need a heel. I must wear them at least once a week. So two decades later they are less expensive than $10 shoes i’ve bought at Pay Less, worn a few times and thrown away.

by Anonymousreply 146June 3, 2019 12:28 AM

I didn't know that the Birkin is 100% hand stitched. The employee benefits ain't bad either.

Benefits Summary

List based on reports from current and former employees. It may not be complete.

Insurance, Health & Wellness Health Insurance ; Dental Insurance; Flexible Spending Account (FSA); Vision Insurance; Health Savings Account (HSA)

Life InsuranceSupplemental

Life Insurance Disability; Insurance Occupational Accident; Insurance Health Care; On-SiteMental Health Care; Retiree Health & Medical; Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance

Financial & Retirement

Pension; Plan 401K Plan;Retirement Plan Employee; Stock Purchase Plan; Performance Bonus Stock; Options Equity Incentive; Plan Supplemental Workers'; Compensation Charitable Gift Matching

Family & Parenting

Maternity & Paternity Leave (4)Work From Home; Fertility Assistance; Dependent Care Adoption Assistance; Childcare Reduced or Flexible Hours; Military Leave; Family Medical Leave; Unpaid Extended Leave

Vacation & Time Off

Vacation & Paid Time; OffSick Days Paid; Holidays Volunteer Time Off; Sabbatical Bereavement Leave;

Perks & Discounts

Employee Discount; Free Lunch or Snacks; Employee Assistance Program; Gym Membership; Commuter Checks & Assistance; Pet Friendly Workplace; Mobile Phone Discount; Company Car' Company Social Events Travel; Concierge Legal Assistance

Professional Support

Diversity Program; Job Training; Professional Development Apprenticeship Program; Tuition Assistance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 3, 2019 12:33 AM

R134, I hear ya. My favorite bag is a natural leather bag, extremely simple, by Ursule Beaugeste Paris. The handles are just long enough to be a comfortable shoulder bag, carried on the forearm or carried by hand with arm down. I found it at Goodwill for $13. Unless you have a chauffeur and you’re just carrying your bag for decoration, to and from fancy places, you’ve got to be comfortable. I’ve rejected bags for being too heavy while empty, because of all the hardware and thick leather. Add a wallet and water bottle and phone, and it’s going to misalign your posture.

by Anonymousreply 148June 3, 2019 12:39 AM

R41 My mother loved John Romain and that was all she carried until they stopped making them in the early to-mid 1990s, then she switched to Aigner, until they quit making their traditional ones and decided to try and relaunch as a luxury brand with ugly new designs and a few classic ones that now cost four or five times more than they did a decade ago. Anyway, one Mother's Day I bought her several John Romain and Aigner purses on Ebay, new with tags. It was the one time she absolutely loved her gifts. And, she has gotten so many compliments on them, and people think she paid hundreds for each one. I got them all for less than $150.

by Anonymousreply 149June 3, 2019 12:49 AM

R147 This is what I was saying about working conditions in the top tier Euro luxury houses. And it goes part of the way in explaining the price you have to pay to buy their merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 150June 3, 2019 12:59 AM

Hmm... maybe I should get a Birkin bag for myself....

NOT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151June 3, 2019 1:01 AM

????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 3, 2019 1:03 AM

^ Is it Judith Leiber?

by Anonymousreply 153June 3, 2019 1:05 AM

[quote]At Hermes, you have to have a "purchase history" with them in order to be "offered" the opportunity to buy a Birkin.

I call BS on this--of course, not you poster R131. But, I call this a marketing scheme like the 1-2 year wait list BS. I'm quite sure that if I walked into any Hermès with two suitcases that totaled $400K cash or had the proper person on the line with my banker exchanging wiring information, I would have a bag at my doorstep prior to leaving for the evening's gala.

by Anonymousreply 154June 3, 2019 1:26 AM

Funny....

[quote]Hermes is one of those stores that would look down on you if you're walking in with a $1,600 Gucci Purse.

by Anonymousreply 155June 3, 2019 2:01 AM

$71,000??? !!!!

Holy Smokes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 4, 2019 1:59 PM

It's an absolutely hideous bag that just goes to prove that people will jump to buy anything if you make it somehow prestigious to own.

by Anonymousreply 157June 4, 2019 3:42 PM

Buying a Birkin is STRESSFUL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158June 4, 2019 3:45 PM

[quote]Buying a Birkin is STRESSFUL!

You're DAMN right!!! To see all of that money leaving your bank account!

by Anonymousreply 159June 4, 2019 3:47 PM

Oh well, as has been said time and time again, everything is worth only what some idiot is willing to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 160June 4, 2019 4:48 PM

It was always funny to watch the old Suze Orman Show as some stupid person would try to convince Suze that the Birkin bag was worth its cost because it was so roomy.

by Anonymousreply 161June 4, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote] True luxury merchandise is a world. It's a world that you enter into. From the moment the door man of the Valentino shop opens the door for you and you walk into the shop designed by David Chipperfield. You are coddled and catered to. When you leave the shop you're on a beautiful avenue surrounded by other beautiful shops. It's more than just the bag, it's a lifestyle. It's the way people with millions and millions live. They're not going to be standing at the checkout at Target.

Mary.

by Anonymousreply 162June 4, 2019 4:58 PM

I was looking at Hermes bags on an auction site yesterday and spotted this model. It looked like something my grandmother would have carried. The auction estimate was around $35,000. My eyes popped. The hardware is palladium. What is the point of that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163June 4, 2019 5:03 PM

A wicker bag selling over $100K? Just shoot me now... We're in the end times...

by Anonymousreply 164June 4, 2019 5:12 PM

I'd be afraid to take it out in public for fear of being killed and robbed.

by Anonymousreply 165June 4, 2019 5:59 PM

You all sound like a bunch of hicks, for real.

by Anonymousreply 166June 4, 2019 6:19 PM

The answer to the OP's question is easy: Prestige and artificial scarcity.

Berkins can hold their value for a reason: they are handmade, they are built in top notch quality, and they are an iconic product from an icon French fashion accessories house. The supply is low by design, and as more and more people heard of them and (some can even) afford them, they would try to find used ones on the open/secondary market than from the source, which has a waiting list of "until the sun expands and swallow the earth". Meanwhile Hermes keep making special editions or custom editions to push customers who think the regular birkin is too "common".

And then there is the vintage factor. Vintage is IN the same way people now want their living rooms look like Mad Men sets or Downton Abbey (paging Aaron Schock...). Vintage implies a certain timeless quality, and with the right marketing you can always inject a certain pizzazz about the history of a piece. With things like Birkins or Herman Miller Eames Loungers or LV Speedys or Omega Moonwatch, the piece you can buy today is almost identical to the ones you can get decades ago, and for some customers thats a marker of taste and quality.

by Anonymousreply 167June 4, 2019 6:48 PM

The Hermès Himalaya Birkin is not made from the skin of climbers who died on Everest?! Well, I didn't want that stupid French bag anyway!

by Anonymousreply 168June 5, 2019 12:03 AM

Here’s Melanie Trump toting a black crocodile Birkin in London yesterday. That thing is worth $40K. The ultimate rich bitch status symbol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169June 5, 2019 1:15 AM

These bags make you a target for a mugging just like wearing a Rolex watch.

by Anonymousreply 170June 5, 2019 1:21 AM

R170 any "nice" thing can make you a target, you just have to be careful where and when you use the nice thing.

by Anonymousreply 171June 5, 2019 1:38 AM

If I was a woman and I had the money to afford a $50,000.00 handbag, I'd rather have this $125.00 bag instead and spend the $49, 875 left over on something actually worthwhile that would benefit someone. Better yet, I'd give the leftover money to my favorite charity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 5, 2019 2:26 PM

Wear your wealth.

by Anonymousreply 173June 5, 2019 4:22 PM

Melania has bad hair.

by Anonymousreply 174June 5, 2019 4:52 PM

Amazing that the bag costs more than many people make in a year

by Anonymousreply 175June 5, 2019 5:39 PM

These bitches should put that money into plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 176June 5, 2019 8:08 PM

I'm sorry, but to those people above glorifying craftsmanship and handwork of artisans, you're wrong. I don't think anyone would deny Hermes' right to claim quality craftsmanship of any of their products. The problem lies in inflating what that craftsmanship is actually worth. When you get down to it, a bag is some material sewn or sealed or fused together to make a pouch in which to carry items. While Hermes certainly may take weeks to construct one bag, completely by hand, (I've actually heard from several decent sources that such care is for a very few select bags), the simple fact is that no bag, designer or otherwise, necessitates that much work to achieve a "quality" product. Much more, to claim that such care is worth so much that it mandates a price that competes with a small country house is absurd. The simple fact is that, while Hermes bags may be quality, they really aren't made with any significant quality that warrants such an astronomical price tag. Of course, the market really decides the cost of goods, and where there's demand, one can charge whatever they want. But let's not pretend that any bag made from leather, sewn up with thread, and adorned with a lock and key actually worth tens of thousands of dollars. That's just bad economics.

by Anonymousreply 177June 11, 2019 8:24 AM

I can just picture the owners of Hermes in private, laughing their crooked asses off at all the dumbass ultra rich people they've scammed that day.

by Anonymousreply 178June 11, 2019 9:20 AM

My boss has at least half a dozen of these just sitting around on a shelf next to her safe. How many $20,000 purses does a woman need? She is nouveau-riche so I guess that explains that.

My other friend who is Trans, only has one bag, I think she paid 40,000 for it but she is even more pathetic about it. She brought it out and modeled it and said "look just like the Kim Kardashian" and she was proud to say it too.

Why are woman so in love with the Kardashians!

by Anonymousreply 179June 11, 2019 9:33 AM

Unlike houses or watches that men collect, handbags are not investments. They lose their value the minute it arrives. Sure you can sell them on Real Real but you are lucky if you get 10,000 for a 20,000 bag. That's not an investment, that's called a loss.

Rare watches can increase many times in valued even when used. Houses can double or triple over time.

by Anonymousreply 180June 11, 2019 9:38 AM

Houses increase in value only if they are renovated and made better. It's the property they sit on that increases in value.

by Anonymousreply 181June 11, 2019 9:50 AM

[quote]My boss has at least half a dozen of these just sitting around on a shelf next to her safe. How many $20,000 purses does a woman need? She is nouveau-riche so I guess that explains that.

This makes no sense to me. My boss's wife is the same way. She has like 10 of these bags, (of which he felt a need to announce to the whole office), and according to him, he was so upset that he made her return 5. I say that she knew what she was doing. They're nouveau-riche too and it is clear that this is only a status symbol for them. Anyway, to have 1-3 of these bags is something that I "might" be able to get on board with. But, a collection? Nah....

by Anonymousreply 182June 11, 2019 11:06 AM

[quote]She brought it out and modeled it and said "look just like the Kim Kardashian" and she was proud to say it too.

MMPH! That's a problem....

[quote]I can just picture the owners of Hermes in private, laughing their crooked asses off at all the dumbass ultra rich people they've scammed that day.

I've always said the same thing about Picasso

by Anonymousreply 183June 11, 2019 11:09 AM

Commodity fetishism. - creating a desire for crappy products.

by Anonymousreply 184June 11, 2019 11:15 AM

Just curious (and know nothing of women’s purses), what are the recognizable signs of quality on these bags?

by Anonymousreply 185June 11, 2019 11:16 AM

I agree with you, R177! The bottom line is that it is simply a HAND BAG--a utilitarian thing. I've noted this up thread, but if one is so interested in superior quality and craftsmanship, then there are MANY craftsman that still do everything by hand and can deliver that type of workmanship. These artisans just don't have the brand marketing that an Hermès does. However, many of them are MUCH cheaper but even if they are within the same price points I'd rather pay for that product than an Hermès. Now, this is not to say that I would never buy 1 or 2 Hermès bags but I wouldn't consider them investment pieces but more like heir loom pieces.

by Anonymousreply 186June 11, 2019 11:21 AM

[quote]Just curious (and know nothing of women’s purses), what are the recognizable signs of quality on these bags?

For me, (and this is eyesight alone--see R19), it's the stitching quality and the quality of leather. I couldn't tell you exactly why but I can spot a quality good right away. Then I look at the quality of the hardware. I don't know... you just see the difference. Anyway, those are initial "tells" for me and then I would have to see it and inspect the bag much more closely. But, as R177 noted, all of that doesn't really justify the outrageous price points. That's more marketing if anything.

by Anonymousreply 187June 11, 2019 11:34 AM

Don't care how much you pay for them but they are all filthy germ carrying vessels. Think about where they lay in toilets/countertops/floors, the makeup, the tissues of god knows what, the leaking bottle of whatever, etc. Hate bitches who parade them around, the big obnoxious look at me ones. even worse when it's obviously a knock off.

by Anonymousreply 188June 11, 2019 11:42 AM

It looks like some bags do increase in value...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189June 11, 2019 11:49 AM

There's something about the yawning chasm of the bags when they are opened that appeals to me. I don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 190June 11, 2019 11:56 AM

[quote]Just curious (and know nothing of women’s purses), what are the recognizable signs of quality on these bags?

You can just see it. It sounds stupid but that is just the base truth. Here's an example; The bag pictured in the link is my gym bag and I use it for weekend travel too. It's COACH. People, (I've been approached about 5 times), spot it as a quality item right off. Is it the classic design? Is it the gleaming hardware? I couldn't tell you but none of them had to see the logo COACH in order to spot the quality of the item. Even my very best friend who I saw this weekend made a comment about it and how much he liked it or saw something similar to it, etc.

Metropolitan Duffle 52

$895

Midnight Navy/Black Copper

The Metropolitan is a no-fuss carryall made for the modern man. The Duffle 52 is a generously-sized carry-on (TSA compliant) detailed with interior zip and slip pockets for organization, an exterior luggage tag and a detachable nylon shoulder strap for versatility. Crafted in our glovetanned leather, a padlock on the zip closure helps keep belongings secure.

...And, let me help you before you ask; NO! I did not spend anywhere near $895!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191June 11, 2019 12:04 PM

I get visible quality of leather - softness, suppleness, richness of color. But what about the stitching suggests quality? Is it, say, very neat with minuscule variations, suggesting that it’s done by hand? Or so tiny as to be invisible, suggesting the effort of aiming for perfection? Done with leather thread suggesting no expense spared? Etc etc ..... just trying to figure out wtf is going on with these things.

by Anonymousreply 192June 11, 2019 12:05 PM

Those bags are ugly...you want to carry ugly? Good on you.

by Anonymousreply 193June 11, 2019 12:12 PM

R191 per that pic, which anyway can’t capture the effect of real life, I’d say that bag’s calling card is its design - the vertical stitched lines suggest a masculine reinforced strength, the way the lines connect to the handle gives it a natural flow, the gathered-seam leather handle has the professional look of a classic briefcase or old-school umbrella.

by Anonymousreply 194June 11, 2019 12:12 PM

Does Jane get a percentage of the sales price?

by Anonymousreply 195June 11, 2019 12:18 PM

[quote]But what about the stitching suggests quality? Is it, say, very neat with minuscule variations, suggesting that it’s done by hand? Or so tiny as to be invisible, suggesting the effort of aiming for perfection? Done with leather thread suggesting no expense spared? Etc etc ....

All of the above. Now, my father worked with a men's coat clothing manufacturer and so I learned to know quality of material, thread count, etc, just by touching. The same can be said for stitching. There are various ways to sew something. I can look at stitching and tell if it was hand sewn, machine sewn, jammed through the sewing machine, or meticulously ran through.

[quote]Does Jane get a percentage of the sales price?

I don't know about a percentage but she does receive royalties.

by Anonymousreply 196June 11, 2019 12:21 PM

[quote]While Hermes certainly may take weeks to construct one bag, completely by hand, (I've actually heard from several decent sources that such care is for a very few select bags),

Does anyone know what happens to flawed and/or damaged items? Also, (...and, I don't care how many articles you show me that glows about Hermès bags never losing value), where are the discontinued designs or those designs that didn't sell well? There's gotta be someplace where you can buy a bag close to cost or even below.

by Anonymousreply 197June 11, 2019 12:36 PM

@R192, a closer view of the stitching of the bag in R191. If you could enlarge the image that would be great because you really will see the detailing.

Re Hermes stitching;

[quote]Hermes bags are handmade with a special type of stitching that's already 2 centuries old in France. The whole bag, from start to finish, is sewn, polished and painted by hand with the utmost care. Hermes has always said that one of the reasons why these bags are so pricey is that they're handmade.

It takes a single expert craftsman up to 40 hours to produce a Birkin bag. The stitch on which the brand’s reputation is based — the saddle — cannot be replicated by a machine; it takes two needles simultaneously passing through the same seam to produce a Birkin correctly. If done correctly, the saddle stitch will never unravel — either on a saddle or a Birkin.

What is Saddle Stitching? Saddle stitching is sewing by hand with needles and thread in a way that creates two rows of stitching in one single row of holes.

Hand Stitching vs Machine Stitching: Saddle stitching is done with only a few feet of thread at a time and must be made by hand. To create each stitch, the entire thread serpentines two times through the layers of leather. For the machine-sewn, lock stitch, 2 separate spools of thread are used. A sewing machine passes a small loop of thread through the top of the leather which interlocks with the thread from the bottom of the leather.

Although using sewing machines is much faster and cheaper, a major stress point is created where the top thread interlocks with the bottom thread. This is where a machine-sewn wallet always breaks first. Those 2 small threads are constantly trying to cut one another—the same way fishing line cuts into your hand when you hold a fish by the line.

The handsewn saddle stitch creates leather goods that last much longer. In addition to using thicker thread with hand stitching, each stitch is made up of two strong, independent, stitches. Unlike the lock stitch which will completely unravel, if a thread does break, the saddle stitch will still hold together.

Artisans are becoming extinct. Not everybody cares who made their wallet or how it was made. But for the person who appreciates the blood, sweat, and tears—and yes, for me all those are literal—that go into handcrafted goods, you understand why it is worth paying a little more for artisanal goods made to last.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198June 11, 2019 12:53 PM

R68, you can buy a well made handbag that will last a long time for much, much less. It's about showing off. As I said before, I wonder how much of the price of the bag is profit.

by Anonymousreply 199June 11, 2019 1:02 PM

Because there's a sucker born every minute. And most of these suckers can't afford this crap either. Their pay check goes to paying off credit card bills. It's "The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome."

by Anonymousreply 200June 11, 2019 1:03 PM

I found this piece to be very interesting and educational.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 11, 2019 1:34 PM

1990s Coach and Dooney and Burke were comparable quality to a Birkin. Given the "saddle stitch" which is time-consumingly done by hand they're probably worth at most several thousand. The markup for the exotic versions is ludicrous and pure grift.

Also the "investment piece" thing is completely made up. You may be able to sell your unused Birkin or Chanel(classic style only!!) for a similar price that you bought it for, within a few years. No one is doing that. These idiots that have 20 in their closet are not buying them for investment pieces either. It's a completely made up "influencer" idea contrived to sell and resell MORE BAGS. No item that degrades like clothing or leatherwares are investment pieces period. Unless you've managed to keep a LV trunk that your grandparents had since the 20s but never used ... and even then, a new one would be comparably priced.

The only statusy shit worth buying is gold and precious stone, and some classic timepieces. Most of the "investment watches" are completely overhyped as weel due to their obvious date-ability/datedness.

by Anonymousreply 202June 11, 2019 1:40 PM

[quote]Also the "investment piece" thing is completely made up.

[quote]The only statusy shit worth buying is gold and precious stone, and some classic timepieces.

Well the following is going to make you laugh! I sure did. (I can't link because it's an independent(dot)co(dot)uk piece.

A HERMES BIRKIN BAG IS A BETTER INVESTMENT THAN STOCKS OR GOLD

Forget the stock market and skip the gold, because according to a recent study buying a Hermès Birkin handbag could be your best bet for long-term investment.

The study by Baghunter – an online marketplace for buying and selling luxury handbags – revealed that the Birkin bag far outperformed both the S&P 500 and the price of gold in the last 35 years.

Comparing the three types of investment it found that the stock market had a return of a nominal average of 11.66 percent, with a real return average of 8.65 percent.

Gold had an average annual return of 1.9 percent and a real return average of -1.5 percent, while the value of Birkin bags increased at a faster rate than either of them.

Rising by 14.2 percent over the same period, the Hermès bag never fluctuated downwards - instead it steadily and consistently increased reaching a peak surge in 2001 where it escalated by a huge 25 per cent.

The Birkin has only ever experienced various levels of positive fluctuation and saw a record-breaking year back in 2015 when a single pink crocodile-skin version sold for an astounding $223,000 (£177,173).

So what is it that makes them so valuable?

Well the Hermès Birkin bag is a status symbol for the elite and super-rich with its principal appeal lying in its exclusivity.

The waiting list for a new one can often be as long as six years, with a bag costing anywhere between $12,000 (£9,534) to more than $200,000 (£251,820) and, because of their allure, they regularly sell on the secondary market through online stores such as Vestaire Collective.

If you do manage to get your hands on one though, it could be the safest and least volatile investment available to you.

How many women are running to their husbands with this article to show them why they have to buy them a Birkin bag? LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 203June 11, 2019 2:36 PM

I hate to use the current alt-right term CLOWN WORLD, but r203, that's exactly where we are.

by Anonymousreply 204June 11, 2019 2:42 PM

Thank you r198. Found that description of saddle stitching vs machine-made lock stitching to be extremely informative.

Price: For most high end status goods, though, part of the marketing IS the price. Pricing is part of a marketer's art—knowing just how high to set that price, for the type of good it is, in a particular season—to trigger the high-end consumer's impulse to “must-have” that item.

Pricing is an elusive, subjective, decision—knowing just how high, over the cost to make the item, the house should set that price. Just so high, not higher, and not lower, to trigger the acquisition desire of the target consumer.

Pricing seems to be arbitrary, but I bet it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 205June 11, 2019 3:09 PM

R137, armadillos carry leprosy.

by Anonymousreply 206June 11, 2019 3:26 PM

[quote] How many women are running to their husbands with this article to show them why they have to buy them a Birkin bag? LOL!!!

Well, seeing as it is 2019 and not 1959, i would guess most women have their own jobs and certainly their own bank accounts, so I would guess not many.

by Anonymousreply 207June 11, 2019 3:35 PM

Must be huge in Moscow, Shanghai and Dubai.

by Anonymousreply 208June 11, 2019 3:37 PM

R207 you don't get out of the city much, do you?

by Anonymousreply 209June 11, 2019 3:42 PM

I've carried a black Coach messenger bag from the 1970s since 1998. It is still in excellent condition, and I bought it used for $8.

by Anonymousreply 210June 11, 2019 3:56 PM

[quote]Price: For most high end status goods, though, part of the marketing IS the price. Pricing is part of a marketer's art

In my life time I would say that Ralph Lauren wins the OSCAR hands down. College drop out Ralph Lifshitz from the Bronx, whose father was a house painter, sells an old-moneyed lifestyle to the masses and becomes a billionaire who is worth over $7 Billion...

by Anonymousreply 211June 11, 2019 3:57 PM

[quote]I've carried a black Coach messenger bag from the 1970s since 1998. It is still in excellent condition, and I bought it used for $8.

That's an EXCELLENT story! And, good for you in not only knowing what you have BUT using it too!

by Anonymousreply 212June 11, 2019 3:59 PM

The bag at R189 is, I believe an Hermes Kelly. Look at the way the handle is attached - to the top of the flap, not to the bag compartment. It just hangs open like that unless you attach the flap to the turn lock. It's completely impractical. The handle should be attached to the "bucket" part of the bag. So stupid.

The Hermes Birkin handles are attached correctly.

by Anonymousreply 213June 11, 2019 6:58 PM

Agree, it's an extrememly ugly oversized bag. Spending $10,000 and up for a fucking bag that you're going wear hanging on your forearm? Look at how small the handle is. It's not like you can hang it from your shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 214June 11, 2019 7:18 PM

R203 do you have a date for that article? I only ask because I'm wondering if that was during the early aughts when Sex and the City hyped-up the Birkin. I believe during that time the show's use of the bag incited a demand for the bag (which was prudently never satisfied by Hermes). So women were actually able to put their older, used bags into the market and charge a price higher than what they initially paid for it. However, one thing to keep in mind is that the cost of the bag has likely gone up significantly over the years. What might cost $20k now was probably priced significantly lower at an Hermes boutique for a couple to a few thousand (one of my friend's mothers has a Kelly she bought in the late 70s/early 80s, and it cost less than a thousand at the time). Economically speaking, any second-hand good can technically become an "investment." I remember reading back a while ago that a particular European liquer maker closed shop. The problem was it made a liquer that was necessary in a popular drink, so any bottles leftover were going for several hundreds of dollars, even though the actual bottle of liquer could have been purchased (when in production) for a very small amount. Whenever there's scarcity coupled with strong demand, and investment potential is almost always present. With the article referenced, I'd imagine that a lot of the "investment" being discussed is people who had purchased a Birkin early in the early years for a lower price, and then were able to sell it for much much higher during the craze. However, calling it an investment is not exactly correct in that there isn't a consistent growing market (which there never is, but some markets are more stable than others). A period of a few months where the bag got crazy hyped doesn't really signify an actual investment. That happened with Beanie Babies and I don't know of a single econ person who would have considered that a true investment. Also, despite the fact that Hermes certainly has trademark protection for its logo and brand, it's not like the bag can't be replicated easily (it is of course). Another shop could set up and build the same thing (albeit within the confines of the law).

by Anonymousreply 215June 11, 2019 8:17 PM

[quote][R203] do you have a date for that article?

Monday 27 March 2017 13:38

by Anonymousreply 216June 11, 2019 8:25 PM

I don't care if their bags are sewn with solid gold thread. They're still not worth the kind of money they charge.

by Anonymousreply 217June 11, 2019 8:41 PM

Lord, if I lost the wallet I think I would lose my mind!

Hermès MC² Copernic compact wallet

$4,500

Compact wallet in matte Mississippiensis alligator with 8 credit card slots and 2 pockets

Measures 4.3" long x 3.5" high

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218June 12, 2019 4:09 AM

The inside. All for $4,500

Just pure insanity on steroids...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219June 12, 2019 4:11 AM

And, what is Mississippiensis alligator?

Uhm... an alligator from and skinned in Mississippi? LOL!!!!

This skin is farmed from the Alligator Mississippiensis alligator, also known as the American Alligator, natively found in… you guessed it… the Mississippi River region! Hermès’s farms are located in Texas, although the species is found throughout the Louisiana Delta, and even up to the Southeastern states as far as the northern coast of North Carolina.

The scales of this species are quite distinct, and a stark change from the more fine appearance of Hermès crocodile skins. The scales on this species are large, square, with rougher ridges due to the toughness of this skin itself. Bags made of this material feel thicker, and are markedly more durable against scuffing and scratching.

To identify this skin, take another peek near the brand stamp. If you see a “□” square, it’s Alligator Mississippiensis!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220June 12, 2019 4:19 AM

Choke on it, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221June 12, 2019 6:57 AM

Watches and cars are better investments because they don't ware out like a leather bag. If a part breaks it can be easily replaced. When a purse gets worn out, you cant just replace a patch of leather, you basically have to replace the whole thing. Unless you never use it, but then why bother.

by Anonymousreply 222June 12, 2019 11:16 AM

It’s worth the money

by Anonymousreply 223June 12, 2019 11:52 PM

When I graduated from college, I wanted to do something special for my sister, who allowed me to live with her for those four years. I bought her a very nice Vera Wang large leather hobo style handbag at Kohl's at a sale price of $69. The original price was $240, so that was a big deal to me. She raved about her new designer handbag, carried it constantly, and fourteen years later she carries the bag and it still looks great. Believe it or not, she cleans and polishes her bag with the original AmorAll and the leather is soft and supple.

by Anonymousreply 224June 13, 2019 2:43 AM

^ I just LOVE stories like the one above!!!! LOVE THEM!!!

by Anonymousreply 225June 13, 2019 2:52 AM

Insane....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226June 16, 2019 7:41 PM

They are ugly too.

by Anonymousreply 227June 16, 2019 8:19 PM

R56 my sister buys used designer bags (Gucci, Dior, Ferragamo, LV and Pucci) from a site called TheRealReal. She says she ends up paying about 1/4-1/3 of the original price. I've seen her stuff she has good taste and looks like she gets some good deals

by Anonymousreply 228June 16, 2019 8:31 PM

Complete insanity off of the charts!

However....

I actually learned something here. I had no idea that the pocket book comes with a rain jacket....

BTW: Fjord. This is an adult leather and has a soft texture. It is heavier and water resistant. Swift. Formerly known as Gulliver, this is a very soft leather with extremely fine grains.

Hermès Fjord Leather: An adult calf leather, the fjord features a much flatter and wider grain than other leathers such as the Clemence. The texture of the leather is very soft to the touch, offering an elegant appearance and the exterior is completely water resistant. A small drawback is that this leather is slightly heavier than other leathers available, however, the classy finish counterbalances this and makes it well worth the weight.

Hermès Swift (Gulliver) Leather: Formerly known as Gulliver leather until it was discontinued in 1999, this wonderful leather was reintroduced to the market in 2005 under the new name Swift. The leather features a fine grain which is incredibly soft to touch and has the ability to reflect light while absorbing dye like few other leathers on the market. The only drawback is that it is prone to scratches, however, small scratches are easily removed by a gentle swipe of your fingers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229June 16, 2019 11:55 PM

I knew a girl who saved and saved for a Birkin bag. But then she died.

by Anonymousreply 230June 16, 2019 11:57 PM

^ At least the money was there to throw herself one helluva funeral!

by Anonymousreply 231June 16, 2019 11:59 PM

Here's another product for these status-chasing morons - enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232June 17, 2019 12:02 AM

I suppose a market can be created when you customize that bag

Bag: Hermès Birkin Bag

Size: 35cm

Colors: Vert Anis, Rouge Garrance, Blue Jean, Custom Painting

Material: Togo Leather

Hardware: Palladium

Measures: 35x28x18cm (14"x11"x7")

Condition : Excellent

Includes: Lock, Keys, Clochette, Sleeper

There is no other handbag in the world exactly like this Special Order Hermès Birkin 35cm bag. This bag was customized by our ultra-exclusive Bag Bespoke service and features Mr. Monopoly and Betty Boop. This tri-color Birkin is featured in Vert Anis, Rouge Garrance and Blue Jean. This bag is made from smooth Togo leather and is accentuated by palladium hardware. This Birkin also has the horseshoe symbol in the embossing which is added to all special order Hermes bags.

Condition Details: Overall excellent condition

Availability: Sold

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233June 18, 2019 12:57 PM

Bag: Hermès Birkin Mickey Mouse

Size: 35cm

Color: Ciel

Material: Togo Leather

Hardware: Palladium

Measures: 35x28x18cm (14"x11"x7")

Condition : Excellent

Includes: Lock, Keys, Clochette, Sleeper, Raincoat

One-of-a-kind Hermès Birkin customized by our ultra-exclusive Bag Bespoke service. The ultimate collector's piece to add to your Hermès collection and is one of very few bags listed on Baghunter that is this amazingly beautiful and unique. Once sold we will never get another bag like this one again! This bag comes in Ciel color, made with highly coveted Togo leather and includes palladium hardware. This bag also includes a certificate of authenticity from the original artist and is certified authentic by Baghunter. Please contact us for additional details about the artist, bag and availability.

Condition Details: Some very faint scratches on the hardware and very mild corner wear that is barely visible. Otherwise in excellent condition!

Availability: Ready to Ship

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234June 18, 2019 1:11 PM

Well, this Palm Beach Heiress' Hermes bags brought [italic]some[/italic], but not like an investment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235June 22, 2019 6:18 AM

Wiltshire shoulder bag in crocodile from Asprey - $23,000. Worth every penny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236June 23, 2019 9:55 PM

Is this more of a dictatorship thing?

by Anonymousreply 237June 23, 2019 10:03 PM

they should do vegan leather. Torturing and killing an animal for a handbag is so backwards, and also animal abuse. They should switch to vegan materials, collect a shit oad of money and make the world a better place while stockpiling the dosh.

by Anonymousreply 238June 23, 2019 10:08 PM

Nope R237. It's about flaunting wealth, buying things that the average middle class woman couldn't possibly afford.

by Anonymousreply 239June 23, 2019 10:34 PM

I just saw someone with a knock off Rolex. Something is more creepy about people who use knock offs or heirloom pieces in inappropriate places. Complete Weirdos!

by Anonymousreply 240June 23, 2019 11:27 PM

wearing one is like saying ima dumb rich shit who wants u to think I have class when I don't.

by Anonymousreply 241June 24, 2019 10:41 AM

Lol Ramona Singer in r20’s picture.

by Anonymousreply 242June 24, 2019 10:57 AM

ramona with a cheap ass Gucci bag

how gauche

she next to be fired off that show

by Anonymousreply 243June 24, 2019 1:50 PM

[quote]vegan leather

Oh, my goodness! There IS such a thing! LOL! Just another name for fake...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244June 24, 2019 3:16 PM

Dictators invest in ultra expensive apartments and houses in London and NYC, R237.

by Anonymousreply 245June 25, 2019 5:28 AM

label queens use pricey bags as therapy to show they have some tiny bit of value, in their guts

sooooo sad

by Anonymousreply 246June 25, 2019 7:20 AM

I'm tempted. I'm tempted....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247June 25, 2019 12:13 PM

They will go up in value if they stop getting made, R39.

by Anonymousreply 248June 25, 2019 1:48 PM

Whatever blows your hair back

by Anonymousreply 249June 26, 2019 12:19 AM

I agree it is a good thing to keep craftsmanship alive, and well made items can become heirlooms. The problem begins when the price and perceived values are so artificially inflated. I'm awfully surprised no one has mentioned it, but they become [italic] obscene [/italic] after a point. Quality doesn't always need to be a loud status symbol. That being said, I cherish my vintage Asprey briefcase (1940s) which was passed down to me, as well as a vintage Hermés nautical clock I found for a steal. No matter my net, I could never carry anything so "precious" if I were a woman. Different values aren't always about a lack of appreciation, it comes down to perspective. Like Elderlez, I re-soled some Gucci loafers three times. The old ones don't die. They weren't $695 and up back then eithet, more like $350 in the late nineties. The new ones are NOT the same.

by Anonymousreply 250August 9, 2019 8:04 PM

[quote]My mother collects expensive designer shoes. She loves them and looks at them as pieces of art. I don’t judge people based on their possessions. Buy what you love and what makes you happy.

Your mother is a capitalist stooge.

by Anonymousreply 251August 9, 2019 9:48 PM

The good thing about Gucci loafers is that they go out of fashion every 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 252August 9, 2019 9:49 PM

I also should have added how these Hermés handbags, and most conspicuous status brands have become Veblen goods. As their prices increase, so does their demand. R251 cleverly puts it, and no I do not wish to be a capitalist stooge.

by Anonymousreply 253August 9, 2019 10:09 PM

R252 I disagree, as a loafer w/any style bit is timeless. The original Gucci loafer made its debut in either '52 or '53, and has always been fashionable. Same can be said for the American Alden horse bit loafer, (almost identical to Gucci's). The Saxon horse-bit loafer is another classic, courtesy of Martin Dingman. I believe (American) Allen-Edmonds still makes their Verona too. HM seems to be always wearing her horse bit shoes lately.

by Anonymousreply 254August 9, 2019 11:53 PM

This young lady's channel is QUITE good! Her angle is to teach about a luxury brand, the product, and the company. I'll be honest and tell you that her video about Hermès gave a greater appreciation for the brand and the company!

It's a long video (27 minutes... break it up) but I found it worthwhile to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255September 15, 2019 1:01 AM

I wonder how much of the price is profit.

Consider a $20,000.00 bag costs no more than a few hundred dollars (hell, let's say $1000.00) to make the profit is around 99%.

Birkin bags are possessions for idiots with far more money than brains.

by Anonymousreply 256September 15, 2019 1:28 AM

Mel Trump has a whole collection of Birkins (of course she does.) She took this one to London on their trip to see the Queen this past summer. Black crocodile, worth $60K or so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257September 15, 2019 1:45 AM

[quote]Mel Trump has a whole collection of Birkins (of course she does.)

Yes, she does. A LOT of them too! But, I wonder if they are authentic. The only reason why I question it is because Trump is a known cheapskate! He's not paying the price for all of those bags. When he was married to Ivana, she and her seamstress would walk 5th Ave (and sometimes go into a store) and the seamstress would make quick sketches so that she could knock-off the designs. So, Trump's current gal could be carrying fakes. It seems that she has more Birkins than the First Lady of France where the bags are made! Why would Hermès cause a fuss if everyone thinks that the FLOTUS owns a collection of Birkin bags? It's free publicity for Hermès unless someone uncovers something negative.

Ha! I can't even find an image of Brigitte with a Birkin. She carries a lot of LV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258September 15, 2019 2:01 AM

So much I do not understand here.

R6 claims the Birkin is an investment piece. Does anyone really believe that a purse will appreciate in value?

The idea of feeling pride in a Rolex. It is pretty well-known that they are valuable watches. You are not someone who recognized the value in a little known product. You did not actually make the watch. You bought a watch which is advertised. What is there to be proud about?

by Anonymousreply 259September 15, 2019 2:27 AM

i will never understand them, simply because i think they're ugly. I would reconsider (start over, from the beginning) if I ever thought they looked good.

by Anonymousreply 260September 15, 2019 2:43 AM

Well, what I like and learned from the R255 video is that Hermès is primarily all made in-house. Very little of the production is out sourced. The company maintains and controls the quality of production for their products. There are very few luxury products that can proclaim that. The only one that I can think of the moment that does that is Chanel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261September 15, 2019 3:54 AM

Jane Birkin interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262September 15, 2019 4:21 AM

It’s a status thing. Saying I have enough money to buy one. I think their ugly. Some celebrities get them for free . Good publicity.

by Anonymousreply 263September 15, 2019 6:43 AM

It should be "I think they're ugly."

by Anonymousreply 264September 15, 2019 7:50 AM

The Himalaya bag is a stunner and if these people can buy cars worth millions, private airplanes, both yachting and racing boats, vast duplexes in major cities and vacation homes in exotic places I'm not seeing the problem. I mean the problem maybe simply that these people have too much money but we pay too much money for movies and make mere actors fabulous multi millionaires who can own private jets, landing fields and islands so I wouldn't be too snobby. We have a hand in it. If we didn't happily pay too much for smaller items these people couldn't do these things.

by Anonymousreply 265September 15, 2019 11:37 AM

[quote]Does anyone really believe that a purse will appreciate in value?

I think that there are people who are trying to create some type of investment market for these bags. I personally think that it's silly. Luxury items are meant to be used and enjoyed--especially a hand bag. As someone above aptly pointed out;

[quote] When you get down to it, a bag is some material sewn or sealed or fused together to make a pouch in which to carry items.

There is definitely "something" to appreciate about the quality of materials, and craftsmanship, but let's not go overboard with all of this. What people are primarily buying is the name,label, and the cachet of owning a Birkin. That's why there are so many counterfeits. Many of these people, (even those who can afford an authentic), have no idea about the rich history of Hermès and/or the quality and craftsmanship that goes into making a piece. What is important to them is how they feel, rather... the image that they can project to others and how it makes them feel about them. They're scamsters.

I don't know how I would feel about a person who knowingly purchased a dupe (a new term I just learned because of this thread) or an outright fake. If they are willing to lie about a pocketbook then what else will they willingly lie about?

by Anonymousreply 266September 15, 2019 9:50 PM

I would consider a bag a very harmless thing to lie about.

by Anonymousreply 267September 15, 2019 11:29 PM

Everything that becomes highly coveted by the hordes of nouveau riche Russians and Chinese loses its luster in the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 268September 15, 2019 11:40 PM

I think the high price actually vulgarizes the bag. It’s the opposite of “the rich are understated/have nothing to prove” trope. I would have more respect for something more accessible. The quality would speak for itself. The obscene price is just that, obscene. Despite all the quality it symbolizes greed which isn’t becoming at all. At some point it becomes laughable even. Like a gold toilet/emperor’s clothes/etc.

by Anonymousreply 269September 15, 2019 11:40 PM

^ I sort of agree with you, R269. But, I would argue that the Hermès designs are indeed understated and classic. I suppose that boils down to a matter of opinion, taste, and likes versus dislikes. Anyway... Hermès is accessible to everyone. It is accessible to everyone who can afford their products! That's why I'm a BIG stickler about raw material quality and craftsmanship. A buyer should know what they are buying and why they are buying it for pretty much everything, in my view. However, I'm in 100% agreement with you that the Hermès pricing has become obscene. C'mon... $4500 for a wallet (R218/R219)? Now, THAT's laughable!!!

But... here's what I'm STRONGLY considering--and maybe there are posters here who can guide me on this... I REALLY LIKE the Hermès bag pictured in the link! I'm considering buying a hide/pelt (whatever it's called) and finding a leather artisan to copy and custom make the bag for me. Trust me, I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking that it's a Birkin. Not at all! But, a beautiful classic design like that below with superior craftsmanship is definitely an heirloom and will be made to last until the end of time!!!

So! Can anyone provide suggestions and guidance????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270September 16, 2019 12:00 AM

No good or decent person would buy anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 271September 16, 2019 12:16 AM

Oh please, R271. Stop with your sermonising. The super rich are very competitive (or so I've heard. I don't travel in those circles.) That said I wouldn't buy something whose retail price is so far beyond the cost of making it, even if I had the money.

by Anonymousreply 272September 16, 2019 12:40 AM

That really is an awful thing to say and write about someone whom you don't know, R271. But, whatever... I suppose.

Has anyone ever heard of this young woman in the video link? Just simply AMAZING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273September 16, 2019 3:17 AM

Hermes is quite beautiful and classic. Yes the prices are silly but if fabulously wealthy Asians and Russians are going to pay them what are you supposed to say? 'I want you to give me less!'?

Some might consider it vulgar but less face it Russian vulgarity gave us Faberge Easter eggs. Not too shabby.

by Anonymousreply 274September 16, 2019 3:31 AM

[quote]Someone please explain Hermès Birkin bags to me

Because bitches be crazy.

There's the answer.

by Anonymousreply 275September 16, 2019 3:59 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276September 20, 2019 9:58 PM

People are disgusting and insecure.

by Anonymousreply 277September 20, 2019 10:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278September 20, 2019 10:17 PM

They make sense for people who have hundreds of millions if not billions in wealth. For them, the price is nothing and the delight is everything. People with less money, even rich people are somewhat being scammed. If someone really has to suffer to buy one, it's tragic and a very poor decision. Mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 279September 20, 2019 10:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280September 20, 2019 10:26 PM

If you need someone to explain to you why a Hermis bag costs so much money you can't afford it and you are not their market in any case. I'm not either but if I were very rich there are certain luxury items I would certainly buy.

And anyway you are not going to find the quality of leather and craftmanship in such a bag in a Macy's or Bloomingdales. It really is superior. The materials that go into such an item and the level of craftmanship required would not be affordable to the customers that go to those places to make it any kind of economic sense. Yes they are incredibly overpriced because you are making a statement about the level of material quality of life you can afford but they really are superior in terms of beauty and elegance and feel. So why not if you have a ton of money?

by Anonymousreply 281September 21, 2019 1:05 AM

'Hermes'

by Anonymousreply 282September 21, 2019 3:04 PM

FYI

It's not Hermès but it's a good reference to learn all about what goes into making a quality bag,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283September 29, 2019 2:49 AM

I'm rather surprised that the luxury brand name Moynat has not appeared in this thread at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284October 9, 2019 1:50 PM

It's a sign of accomplishment and success. The woman who tears, (at the 2:14 mark in the clip below), while telling her story is very touching. You can see and feel what such a purchase meant to her and how it affected her life. I suppose it all comes down to the meaning that one has for such a purchase. For me, it's just a bag with a design that I like. I didn't know you could buy fakes right here in NYC on Canal Street. Guess where I'm going? By no means does it have to say Hermès, France, Paris, or Birkin. In fact, I would prefer that a fake wouldn't have that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285October 19, 2019 11:35 PM

Warhol ridiculed Grace Jones because Grace spent her money furs...

by Anonymousreply 286October 19, 2019 11:42 PM

HERMES Mini Kelly 'Picnic' Bag

€38000

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287October 24, 2019 10:52 PM

I love r45’s bag

by Anonymousreply 288October 24, 2019 11:39 PM

For that kind of money I should be able to stick my cock in it and get the best fuck of my life. But then again, if I'm spending that much for a bag I'm already getting royally fucked.

by Anonymousreply 289October 24, 2019 11:49 PM

Pikers.

by Anonymousreply 290October 25, 2019 1:24 AM

I want one someday and I'm a guy.

by Anonymousreply 291October 25, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote]I want one someday and I'm a guy.

Why not, R291. Set a goal and make it happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292October 25, 2019 1:36 AM

And another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293October 25, 2019 1:38 AM

Guess who?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294October 25, 2019 1:39 AM

Just a weekender

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295October 25, 2019 1:41 AM

Thanks! I'll take the purple one (am I supposed to know who that is? not ringing a bell). I am a fan of both Hermes and Jane Birkin so yeah... I might even enjoy a fake.

by Anonymousreply 296October 25, 2019 1:43 AM

That's singer/song writer Pharrell

He's on the current cover of GQ magazine now. The topic? "Pharrell on Evolving Masculinity and “Spiritual Warfare”--Pushing the masculinity conversation forward with one of pop culture's most influential futurists."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297October 25, 2019 1:48 AM

Ahhh, "Happy" guy, sure. One of the few hip hop guys I actually do know -- mostly from "Blurred Lines" (assuming he counts as hip hop. I am The Unhip).

by Anonymousreply 298October 25, 2019 1:51 AM

They're for materialistic women with low self-esteem. Why do you ask, OP?

by Anonymousreply 299October 25, 2019 1:53 AM

This is just psychotic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300October 25, 2019 1:59 AM

I own that purse, r152

by Anonymousreply 301October 25, 2019 4:57 AM

I always wanted the Baguette though as a man it would be harder to get away with. Do they still make it? It had quite a waiting list.

by Anonymousreply 302October 25, 2019 11:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303October 25, 2019 1:44 PM

^Knockoff video

Now let's see the authentic video of the sweatshop in China where they're actually made.

by Anonymousreply 304October 26, 2019 9:39 PM

Well, I want to thank the OP for starting this thread. I have learned a lot! While I will never spend the amount of money required for an Hermès Birkin bag I have come to really appreciate the design and quality the goes into the product. I also appreciate the many subsequent knowledgeable comments on this thread. That is why it is my goal to have a customized bag made exclusively for myself like R270 and R295. It definitely doesn't have to be stamped Hermès and I'm not trying to fool anyone. I'd rather pay a small one shop leather craftsman for a bag (someone who could really use and appreciate the business) the money rather than some large (although good products) corporation. As R177 points put--it's a bag. It can be done by others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305October 26, 2019 10:33 PM

[quote]it's a bag. It can be done by others.

It sure can!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306October 26, 2019 11:57 PM

If I were ever insanely wealthy, I'd buy one for my mother. The best I could do for her was LV.

by Anonymousreply 307October 27, 2019 12:41 AM

I really liked the small pink fake Fendi that Samantha got on SATC, the one that got her kicked out of the Playboy mansion when she thought a girl with a real one had stolen hers. Any idea where to find one of those?

by Anonymousreply 308October 27, 2019 12:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309October 30, 2019 2:44 PM

yes, I see a lot of men carrying them now and they look good!

Their prices will probably go up soon. Many lux brands have increased the prices of their handbags like Chanel and Dior.

by Anonymousreply 310October 30, 2019 2:49 PM

[quote]yes, I see a lot of men carrying them now and they look good!

I believe they see it (well, all menswear) as a new market opening that can grow and be exploited. But, we ain't ready for her in the link yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311October 30, 2019 4:35 PM

Nuh-Uh....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312October 30, 2019 4:37 PM

But, hell yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313October 30, 2019 4:40 PM

Gorgeous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314October 30, 2019 4:43 PM

Mayweather brags about buying them all the time on social media

by Anonymousreply 315October 30, 2019 5:08 PM

Women waste an incredible amount of money on purses.

by Anonymousreply 316October 30, 2019 5:15 PM

I love this thread! Thank you to the poster with the Moroccan leather link.

FYI, there is an oldlez and an Elder Lez. We are not the same people though we often get confused. Elder Lez beat me here, but I'm sure she came for the same reason: an admiration for fine quality, hand-tooled leather. I admire the craftsmanship in a Birkin or a Hermes.

I have a few vintage Coach bags, and mostly use a lovely black vintage Gap that looks like a doctor's bag. Birkins are well out of my range, but if I ever hit a jackpot I would have to pass on the temptation. They're nice, but not that nice.

by Anonymousreply 317October 30, 2019 5:31 PM

R21, no "middle class" person can afford to spend 50,000 on a handbag

by Anonymousreply 318October 30, 2019 11:44 PM

My niece has the best attitude about status fashion. She says if she's going to wear or carry a status piece, the companies can bloody well pay her for being a walking billboard. She thinks it's a total scam for women to shell out wads of cash to parade around a product for a company. Why should she do their advertising? That kid's got a good head on her shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 319October 31, 2019 12:03 AM

I spent about $4000 on a Mark Cross bag. I think it was worth it. I wouldn't spend over $10000 on a bag, though, even if it was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 320October 31, 2019 12:04 AM

If I have to explain it to you ..........

by Anonymousreply 321October 31, 2019 12:26 AM

What I just learned is how women use the term "wear." I'm wearing this bag. I've never thought of it like that. It's probably because I'm a man but I always looked at any type of bag as a utilitarian type of product. Yes, you want a bag to match your outfit, etc but I just never viewed it as something that one wears. It sounds stupid but I found this eye opening.

by Anonymousreply 322October 31, 2019 12:36 AM

For all the talk that gay men are fashionistas who know a ton about women's clothes and fashion choices....this thread proves otherwise

by Anonymousreply 323October 31, 2019 12:56 AM

I just spent $42 on a canvas messenger bag and I'm fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 324October 31, 2019 1:01 AM

It's tacky to me

by Anonymousreply 325October 31, 2019 3:41 PM

R325-it is to pretty much anyone with critical thinking skills. Why not just carry around a sign saying "I'm insecure and need to spend obscene amounts of money to make people envy me?"

by Anonymousreply 326October 31, 2019 11:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327November 8, 2019 7:45 PM

Snobbery, pretension, nouveau riche, affectation, conspicuous consumption....someone please stop me.

by Anonymousreply 328November 8, 2019 7:55 PM

There is something inherently wrong with someone who can justify spending that kind of money on a handbag knowing that there are people who go hungry, go without medical care, etc.

by Anonymousreply 329November 8, 2019 8:14 PM

A new doc that is worth watching but it is difficult to watch towards the end. I'm not making a judgment about the animals. I think this is worthwhile video to watch, (and topical here) because you really get an understanding about how cheap it is to make these products versus the final costs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330November 15, 2019 10:30 PM

5 REASONS TO NOT BUY A HERMES BIRKIN BAG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331November 24, 2019 1:21 PM

It’s for rich bitches, who really don’t know what to do with their lives. They usually start to become senile round the age of 65.

by Anonymousreply 332November 24, 2019 2:39 PM

I bought a nice Dolce and Gabbana bag for about 2000. That's the most I would spend.

by Anonymousreply 333November 27, 2019 1:27 AM

This made me laugh out loud!

An Hermès Boutique in China Made $2.7 Million in One Day After It Reopened--This could signal a strong recovery for the heritage brand.

BY MARTIN LERMA ON APRIL 13, 2020

Is Hermès’ blockbuster reopening in China a barometer of things to come in post-pandemic luxury shopping?

The French heritage brand’s Guangzhou flagship store reportedly achieved $2.7 million in sales when it reopened this weekend, according to WWD. This figure is believed to be the highest daily haul for a single boutique in China, and offers hope to luxury brands and retailers of what economic recovery may look like in the coming months.

WWD noted that although Hermès did not immediately respond to verify this tally, a host of VIP shoppers documented their extravagant purchases across multiple social media platforms, including Weibo and Xiaohongshu, reinforcing its likelihood. Guangzhou is the capital of Guangdong province, which is China’s most affluent region. This position makes it an interesting testing ground for how consumer behavior for high-end customers will change when stay-at-home orders lift.

“This reopening affirms the house’s commitment to Southern China and marks a new chapter for the Parisian house in Guangzhou, where it has been present since 2004,” Hermès said in a statement.

This particular Hermès location––previously occupied by Prada––measures a grand 5,500 square feet with a minimalist facade designed to evoke the local tradition of brick making and enamel craftsmanship.

One shopper identified as Atomniu, posted extensively about her spending spree claiming to have spent $142,124 in Hermès that day. Her purchases included a black crocodile Birkin 30 handbag in addition to clothes and shoes. Whether this could be perceived as part of “revenge buying” remains unclear.

First coined in the 1980s, revenge buying was used to describe all of the “pent up demand for foreign products that had been denied [to China’s] citizens when the nation was closed off to the outside world”, according to Business of Fashion. However, the term has more recently been used across Chinese social media as a way to describe how ordinary citizens were dreaming of treating themselves once quarantine was lifted, as well as by those expressing disdain at unnecessary spending as the economy struggled. Reopening day could be a one-off or, as some brands and retailers may hope, just the beginning of restoring depleted coffers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334April 15, 2020 11:30 AM

Why Hermès is the KING of Luxury - Even in 2020.

Today's video is an update on Hermès, which shared its first quarter sales numbers last week. And while their revenue has fallen, it performed better globally than Louis Vuitton and Kering (who owns Gucci) - especially in Asia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335May 2, 2020 12:22 AM

A total new market has opened up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336December 4, 2020 12:59 PM

I don't care about the bags, but many years ago a friend who had a Hermes saddle let me borrow it for my horse. It was so comfortable! I was really surprized that a saddle could be so nice to use. The horse, however, expressed no opinion on the matter.

by Anonymousreply 337December 4, 2020 6:07 PM

[quote] Why would someone pay tens of thousands of dollars on one of these bags?

Because some people have more money than brains.

by Anonymousreply 338December 4, 2020 6:21 PM

@R338

Jennifer Lopez Uses Her $100,000 Hermès Himalayan Crocodile Birkin as a Gym Bag

J. Lo has a seriously busy life, and the superstar has managed to stay in shape throughout the pandemic. This weekend, Jennifer Lopez was photographed with her fiancé, Alex Rodriguez, at his UFC Gym in Miami, and the singer was dressed well for the occasion.

As usual, J.Lo carried her bedazzled Coach tumbler throughout the outing. The superstar also took her Hermès Himalayan crocodile Birkin bag, which retails for more than $100,000, with her to the gym, because everyone deserves to work out in style.

Meanwhile, the Hustlers star paired a wine-colored cropped sweatshirt with dark red leggings, featuring sheer panels, and donned a crystal face mask from Masqd to enter the gym.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339December 15, 2020 10:50 AM

Wait, what? There are crocodiles in the Himalayas?

Finally, somewhere more dangerous than Australia!

Dagnabbit, I just Googled and apparently "Himalaya" refers to the "delicate gradation of color" on the bag, which is meant to remind you of snow-capped mountains. You could certainly drown in the BS.

by Anonymousreply 340December 15, 2020 11:00 AM

It’s what Rolex watches are for nouveau riche men.

by Anonymousreply 341December 15, 2020 11:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!