Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL cooks, what are you cooking this week?

I'm making this Persian eggplant soup. We'll see... it's an experiment but it looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184September 8, 2019 10:56 AM

I really hope, for you, that it is one of those dishes that tastes better than it looks.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2019 2:40 AM

R1, I've had the dish before in a restaurant. It's very good -- you have to really like eggplant though.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2019 2:42 AM

Persian food = SOUR

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2019 2:44 AM

Crock pot spare ribs with Coca-Cola.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2019 2:47 AM

I make a cake and cupcakes every week. The best part is I don't eat sugar. I am just practicing my baking skills once a week. I usually drop them off to my cousins with kids. Now if I miss a week I get calls :)

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2019 2:52 AM

Artichokes are out of season so I can't make braised lamb and artichokes anymore.... I think I'm going to do... a beef and zucchini dish, since it's summer. I will also make papoutsakia on the side with that and make it vegetarian. Going to do a mashed potato to serve with the braise and I need a green-er vegetable than zuuchini so I'll do a kale or chicory or something like that with butter and garlic, nothing special, and then a salad of whatever vegetables are good raw. Might wow the roommate with a fried cheese.

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2019 2:58 AM

Meatloaf.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2019 3:26 AM

R6, that braised lamb and artichokes sounds really good.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2019 3:34 AM

Are Persians going to beat off into the soup?

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2019 3:34 AM

[quote]that braised lamb and artichokes sounds really good.

Garlic, onions (1 for each pound of lamb meat)

1/2 bunch parsley, IMPORTANT: 1/2 bunch of dill,

bay leaves

brown meat pref from leg of lamb

put aside

cook onion

translucent

cook garlic for a couple minutes

add tomato paste (2-3 Tbsp)

Cook until more red/brown

Add tomato puree

Cook until more red/brown

Add meat, add dill and parsley

toss over low heat

Add water to just cover

Stew for almost 2 hrs.

Add salt to taste

Add artichokes, cleaned and cut into quarters

Add water if required

Cook 30-45 minutes

Let rest

serve

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2019 3:44 AM

You have to get a feel for it

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2019 3:45 AM

R10, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2019 3:48 AM

R9, maybe that is the secret ingredient that makes Persian food taste sour to R3.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2019 3:52 AM

I’ve had luck with a platter of nachos and a cold draft

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2019 3:56 AM

mostly oatmeal, salads and boneless skinless chicken breast. I am on a diet again.

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2019 4:00 AM

R12 : It's Greek

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2019 4:01 AM

Would you post the recipe for the eggplant soup?

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2019 4:36 AM

R17, sure:

Ingredients

4 Chinese Eggplants Peeled and cut into 1" chunks

2 tbsp Vegetable or Olive Oil

1 Large White Onion Diced

4 Garlic Cloves Minced

1 tsp Turmeric

1 can Chickpeas Drained

3/4 cup Green Lentils

4-6 cups Water

1/2 cup Kashk - Yogurt Whey

Topping: 3 tbsp Vegetable or Olive Oil Divided

1 Onion Thinly Sliced

2 tbsp Dried Mint

1/2 tsp Turmeric

1/2 cup Kashk- Yogurt Whey

Instructions Sprinkle salt over the eggplant chunks and place them in a colander. Place the colander on a large bowl and let the eggplants sit for 20 minutes until they start releasing water. Place the eggplants on a kitchen towel and dry them with another kitchen towel. Set aside.

Place a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Pour vegetable or olive oil into the pot and heat.

Saute onion until golden. Add in garlic and saute for a minute.

Add in the eggplants and turmeric. Saute for 5 minutes.

Add in the lentils and stir.

Add in water and turn the heat to high. Bring the Soup to boil.

Turn the heat to medium low. Add in chickpeas and cook until the eggplants and lentils are fully cooked.

Stir in Kashk (Yogurt Whey). Cook for 10 more minutes.

Topping: Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, saute onion on medium low until soft and golden brown. Transfer them to a plate. Set aside.

Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Once hot, add in dried mint and turmeric. Stir and cook for two minutes. Turn the heat off.

Pour the eggplant soup into bowls. Top with more Kashk (Yogurt Whey), sauteed dried mint and caramelized onion.

Serve Warm.

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2019 4:45 AM

Bought a packet of Oaxacan Red Mole Paste, so I made Mole Arroz con Pollo, the latter being a store rotisserie chicken. Delicious earthy heat, not a sprightly spicy.

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2019 4:53 AM

R19, that sounds simple and good.

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2019 5:34 AM

1 pound of [bold]dried cannellini[/bold], soaked overnight or for 8 hours, cooked with 1/2 c. [bold]EVOO[/bold], 8 leaves of [bold]sage[/bold], 5 large, unpeeled cloves of [bold]garlic[/bold], some [bold]tomatoes[/bold] (fresh or canned, around 1/2 c.). Cover with water, bring to a boil, then cook for around 1.5 hours (some take longer: cooking time depends on how dry the beans were when you started). Don't add [bold]salt[/bold] until they're done.

Garnish w/[bold]Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano[/bold], some [bold]EVOO[/bold], and maybe [bold]vinegar[/bold]. It will probably need more salt. This is a dish that needs a lot of salt.

by Anonymousreply 21May 29, 2019 6:42 AM

Chinese-African curried chicken & vegetables, sauteed and then baked. So easy & good.

by Anonymousreply 22May 29, 2019 7:02 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 23May 29, 2019 5:00 PM

Blueberry clafoutis. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 24May 29, 2019 5:33 PM

I wanna try making this dessert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2019 11:19 PM

Grilling pork chops smoked with soaked Apple wood chips. I think I'll serve it with applesauce.

by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2019 12:02 AM

I'm not. I feel like shit. I have a really bad sinus infection with non stop headache and nausea. I ordered 3 heroes, 2 turkey and Swiss and one tuna and a half of any of them is enough for a meal. So I have six meals waiting for me. I did boil up 12 hard boiled yesterday and now I have 10 more breakfasts, I ate one yesterday and one today. I'll slap it on a piece of bread if I'm up to it.

by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2019 12:17 AM

R24, Looks easy to make, and you can use a variety of fresh fruit.

Wonder if I can use 1/2 cup evaporated milk instead of heavy cream? Would I need to add more butter? DL cooks, what do you think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2019 12:29 AM

Are you addled by your sinus meds, R27? Why did you buy your sandwiches in advance?

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2019 12:29 AM

Why would you use evaporated milk instead of cream, r28? No. Don't do it.

And why in the world did you buy three heroes in advance, r27?

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2019 12:41 AM

R18 - That is the worst recipe I've ever read. Where the fuck do you get half of those ingredients?

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2019 12:53 AM

R30, at the middle eastern store (Super King in my area). It's very good and hearty.

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2019 12:59 AM

R30, I'd substitute evaporated milk for heavy cream because it's a healthier alternative and I have it in my cupboard as well as all of the other ingredients. Also since I don't like overly rich food.

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2019 1:02 AM

I have a garden and have been eating a lot of Swiss chard. It is so much better than kale! I also made a blackberry cobbler the other day.

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2019 1:07 AM

I poached a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in some chicken stock (w/herbs and spices) and then froze them. Today I used the broth to cook tortellini, so now I'm having tortellini in brodo.

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2019 1:09 AM

R34, do you go once around the garden for your Swiss chard?

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2019 1:18 AM

I'm already sick and I had the sandwiches delivered. The I already had the eggs in the house. I think I'll crawl into bed and just let it all rot. This type of headache makes me feel car sick and once I get them they last about two weeks. The last few days I have disgusting constant runny nose so bad I go through almost a box of tissues a day.

Can heroes be frozen if they have mayo on them? Out of habit I said mayo. I should have left it off.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2019 1:19 AM

fried egg, toast

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2019 1:25 AM

Jiang zha mien

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2019 1:26 AM

R34, Agreed about Swiss Chard. It's a key ingredient in my minestrone.

by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2019 1:41 AM

I'm staying in Edinburgh for the next two months and longing to make (and eat) a cottage pie. (No, this is not haggis.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2019 2:06 AM

Similar to Shepherd’s Pie. ^^^ ???

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2019 6:05 AM

R42 Pretty much the same except that traditionally Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb and Cottage Pie is made with beef. Though this isn't followed 100% by everyone.

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2019 8:20 AM

I'm making reservations no fuss no cleanup.

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2019 10:55 AM

R44, nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2019 10:25 PM

Tonight: Savory bread pudding (stale croissant, spinach, ham, egg, half and half)

Tomorrow: Chef Salad

Saturday: ??

Sunday: Grilled lamp chops, polenta, undecided green veg

by Anonymousreply 46May 30, 2019 10:36 PM

Today: Chinese chicken salad, lol.

by Anonymousreply 47May 30, 2019 10:37 PM

scrambled eggs and roasted potatoes

by Anonymousreply 48May 30, 2019 11:11 PM

Still feeling like shit, so a hard boiled egg in the early afternoon, when I crawled out of bed and another one around 8:30 pm to have something in my stomach for the night. I'm now crawling back to bed. The Ambien I took at 8:45 is doing absolutely NOTHING for me.

by Anonymousreply 49May 31, 2019 2:46 AM

R49, go see your doctor and stay hydrated.

by Anonymousreply 50May 31, 2019 2:59 AM

I'm making ginger beer to make Moscow Mules for a crowd at the beach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 31, 2019 3:28 AM

I'm making Slow Cooker African Peanut Stew. It's vegan but I'm not and I find it delicious. Goes great with brown rice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 31, 2019 3:40 AM

R52, I've been wanting to make something similar to that recipe ever since I saw Carla Hall make it on Top Chef.

by Anonymousreply 53May 31, 2019 5:37 AM

Today I made Ropa Viejas (rags), which is kind of a Cuban pot roast. I used brisket and cooked it in the slow cooker.

3.5 pounds brisket

1 onion diced

2 cloves of garlic minced

1 package baby carrots

lovage (could use celery)

parsley (about 5 sprigs flat leaf Italian parsley)

1 can of tomato paste

1 can of rotel tomatoes

Italian seasoning

Fresh ground Pepper to taste

coarse Kosher salt to taste

Several small peppers (different colors) cut lengthwise

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Put the onions and carrots and celery in the bottom of the cooker. Lay the meat on top, cover with tomato paste, garlic, salt, pepper, and seasoning, put on sprigs of parsley. Lay pepper strips over the meat, Pour over the can of rotel. Add vinegar. Cook on low for 8 hours. Yummy - even better the next day.

by Anonymousreply 54May 31, 2019 5:52 AM

OP, be careful. John Bolton is so desperate for war with Iran, he might use your post as proof of Iranian infiltration.

by Anonymousreply 55May 31, 2019 6:06 AM

R55 We can certainly use your post as proof of a useful idiot.

by Anonymousreply 56May 31, 2019 6:09 AM

R56, I put you on ignore because I knew exactly who you were from the other thread. How about a recipe involving Dershowitz' balls in your mouth?

by Anonymousreply 57May 31, 2019 6:16 AM

R55, lol. In that case, good thing I just mentioned a Persian recipe, and not what I did with a Persian guy I hooked up with a few month back.

by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2019 6:45 AM

I tried making bread for the first time, a few days ago, and it turned out underproofed. I just turned it into bread pudding, it's in the oven, the house smells marvelous - but let's see how it tastes...I made that dense bread stay in the milk for a few hours before cooking it.

by Anonymousreply 59May 31, 2019 6:49 AM

R58, Not loving eggplant so is there another fav Persian dish you can recommend? Also would Persian food be very different from Iranian?

by Anonymousreply 60May 31, 2019 6:49 AM

R58, Persian cucumbers were 8 for $.99 at the 99 Cent Store which has a ton of really good produce. Trying to find a good recipe for them. Are they that different from American or English cuckes?

by Anonymousreply 61May 31, 2019 6:51 AM

R18, Thank you. Sounds DELISH!

Yogurt whey, is that the liquid that is left from draining yogurt? I sometimes make my own Greek-style yogurt by draining yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 62May 31, 2019 7:01 AM

R60, I like a sour cherry rice pilaf I made once! I can't find the exact recipe online right now, but the one below seems similar.

Re: Persian vs Iranian food, the two terms are kind of used interchangeably to mean the same thing. I have a few Persian coworkers (refugees from Iran) who all call themselves Persian for a variety of reasons. I think they are proud of their ancient cultural traditions whereas the more modern term Iranian, for them, has more loaded, politicized connotations.

Either way, their food is delicious. I like their use of pomegranates, cherries, rosewater, etc. in savory dishes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 31, 2019 7:12 AM

Yesterday afternoon I did a one-skillet (cast iron, natch) dish of different-color sweet bell peppers, andouille saussge, fire-roasted tomatoes, and basmati rice. Also did a pot of spicy mustard and collard greens from our garden, flavored with smoked turkey necks, a ton of garlic, and homemade vinegar.

It looks so pretty, and my sister and my dad tore it up.

by Anonymousreply 64May 31, 2019 8:20 AM

R64, that sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 65May 31, 2019 6:30 PM

R61, I like Persian cucumbers. They tend to be smaller and crunchier. Recipe below looks legit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 31, 2019 6:35 PM

I plan on making this. I haven't made it since last summer. It's super easy and super tasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 31, 2019 6:46 PM

Sandra Lee recipes...

by Anonymousreply 68May 31, 2019 7:10 PM

R64, I have andouille in the freezer, fire-roasted tomatoes (canned) in the pantry, basmati rice in a cupboard, and bell peppers in the fridge.

Now what?!

by Anonymousreply 69May 31, 2019 7:58 PM

R69, not R64, but sounds like the beginning base for something Cajun like gumbo or jambalaya.

by Anonymousreply 70May 31, 2019 8:01 PM

Mississippi Pot Roast in my crockpot.

by Anonymousreply 71June 20, 2019 3:15 PM

What makes a pot roast "Mississippi"?

by Anonymousreply 72June 20, 2019 3:16 PM

Saturday I made manicotti stuffed with beef, hot Italian sausage, ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella. I normally make my own sauce but I used Rao's Homemade Marinara for the first time, and was very impressed. Then on Sunday was homemade potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob and oven bake bbq chicken thighs. I like to cook on the weekends and have leftovers all week.

by Anonymousreply 73June 20, 2019 3:47 PM

Monday we had poached salmon, boiled new potatoes and asparagus, and a slice of cherry pie for dessert.

Tuesday was boneless short ribs, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. I froze the leftover ribs.

Wednesday was roast chicken. I'll make chicken salad and stock today from what's left. And homemade vanilla ice cream - two quarts will last two weeks.

I'm making chili this afternoon, too; as much to freeze what's left as to eat it tonight.

Friday we'll eat the chicken salad with greens, avocado and a diced mango.

And I'll have leftovers for the weekend.

We don't eat out as much as we once did because it's both cheaper (I spend $600 or so a month on food and don't think spending about $20 a day to feed two people is expensive) and healthier to eat at home: I know what's in it and who cooked it and how it's been stored and handled. We both quit drinking about 18 months ago and are amazed at how much money we save. I'm not on the wagon - I'll have a drink when we go out - but cutting out a bottle of wine means saving a couple of hundred bucks a month. I'd rather spend it on pot now that it's legal: weed improves my appetite as well as my outlook. Less calories than wine, too.

by Anonymousreply 74June 20, 2019 4:16 PM

[quote]And homemade vanilla ice cream - two quarts will last two weeks.

Would last me two days if it's worth eating in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 75June 20, 2019 4:37 PM

I was making the recipe for chicken piccata from this site a few weeks ago, and found a recipe for Dijon chicken. I'm going to try it this weekend. It's calorie packed, but looks delicious. I was thinking of making a side of pasta to go along with it, but now I've changed my mind and will cook some brown rice to get all that sauce off the plate. Still not sure about what to use as a vegetable accompaniment. Any suggestions?

Btw, the chicken piccata turned out great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 20, 2019 5:33 PM

R76, I'm assuming it's summer where you are. Maybe baby zucchinis or chard? Spinach is the no-brainer because there's bacon in there, but people get tired of spinach. Another idea is sweet red peppers.

by Anonymousreply 77June 20, 2019 5:49 PM

R75 Try it and see: you'll need only five ingredients. Stir together 2 cups of heavy cream ($2.99), 2.5 cups of half and half (about $1.25), half a cup of white sugar and half a cup of light brown sugar (about 75 cents) and two tablespoons of pure vanilla extract (which has gone way up, so about $1.00 for that nowadays - I hope the weather in Madagascar gets better soon) in a large bowl. I let it sit overnight, covered, in the fridge for the flavors to marry and the sugars to dissolve completely.

You need an ice cream machine. Cuisinart makes the one I have. I bought it (reconditioned/returned) in Marshalls for $29.99 years ago. Retail is about $75 for a new one, maybe $5 less on Amazon. You freeze the metal container it's made in by putting it in the freezer overnight. Then the frozen container goes into the ice cream maker, the cream mix goes into the frozen container, you put the dasher in and the cover on top and turn it on. It's done in about 30 minutes. It's still sort of "slushy" at that point and needs an overnight in the freezer before eating. The recipe is the same as it was when we made ice cream as kids: Mom mixed the stuff up but we turned the handle of an ice cream maker with the container set in a wooden tub filled with ice and rocksalt.

Meaning nowadays it takes two days to make (if not to eat) and costs about $6.00 - half the price of Haagen-Daz and none of the additives and to my mind, far, far better tasting. But it's so rich I can't eat much more than a couple of spoonfuls at a time. That's why it lasts two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 78June 20, 2019 7:32 PM

[quote]two tablespoons of pure vanilla extract (which has gone way up, so about $1.00 for that nowadays

Your vanilla ice cream recipe sounds divine, r78. But the price of vanilla has gone up so much that one tablespoon of Penzey's Double Strength Vanilla, the equivalent of two tablespoons of regular strength, now costs $5.75.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 20, 2019 7:44 PM

I used to buy plain old McCormick's vanilla extract for $9.99 for the large bottle (don't know the ounces - it's about the size of a bottle of Worcestershire sauce) at the supermarket. The last time I went to buy one, it was $39.99. I'm back to the 2 ounce bottle that now sells for about $8.99, I think.

by Anonymousreply 80June 20, 2019 7:57 PM

Spaghetti and meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 81June 20, 2019 7:58 PM

I'm going to make tacos, starting with the meat filling. I thought I'd use this (very basic) recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 20, 2019 7:59 PM

Toast...with margarine

by Anonymousreply 83June 20, 2019 8:02 PM

[quote]with margarine

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

by Anonymousreply 84June 20, 2019 8:22 PM

This Indian chicken curry might be a weekend meal for a group of friends. Every recipe from this gal's site has always come out very well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 20, 2019 8:34 PM

Wow! That butter chicken recipe sure calls for a lot of cayenne pepper. I love spicy, but even for me that seems like too much, even with the cream added in the sauce. Other than that, it sounds good. Will have to give it a try soon.

R77, thanks for the suggestions. It is summer here in Arizona. The chicken recipe already contains spinach, so that's out. I'll be going to the supermarket today and see what's available. Thanks again.

by Anonymousreply 86June 21, 2019 4:45 PM

Defrosted a pound of Costco shrimp. Bought a package of cauliflower rice. Making scampi with lots of garlic.

by Anonymousreply 87June 21, 2019 11:50 PM

Stopped by my parent's house and discovered they had 12 bananas in the freezer ("oh I will make banana bread sometime".

Sigh ...

Spent 2+ hours making banana bread muffins (which they will eat). 12 bananas are 4X my normal recipe.

Too cheap to throw away food, but too lazy to do something with it. I was annoyed.

Muffins turned out well though.

by Anonymousreply 88June 21, 2019 11:56 PM

R88 I do that all the time. The fairly swanky greengrocer in my neck of the woods regularly culls their stock and puts the "close-to-ripe" bananas in a shopping bag for the buzzard rack at $1.50 for about two dozen. I always scoop some up when I see them there to freeze for making banana bread and smoothies.

Too cheap not to buy.

by Anonymousreply 89June 22, 2019 12:15 AM

Tonight I had angel hair w/marinara and grated Locatelli Pecorino Romano.

by Anonymousreply 90June 22, 2019 12:30 AM

I don’t know r72, the pepperoncini maybe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 5, 2019 2:55 PM

r91 Or perhaps the ranch dressing.

[quote]Mississippi Pot Roast is usually made by placing a chuck roast in a crock pot or slow cooker. You’ll cook it beneath some butter, a package of ranch dressing mix, another package of “au jus” gravy mix and a handful of pepperoncini.

by Anonymousreply 92July 5, 2019 3:12 PM

I did a Yankee pot roast for the holiday but we didn't have a chance to eat much yesterday so we have plenty for tonight.

No butter, no ranch dressing, no gravy mix and no pepperoncini: pearl onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, red wine, thyme and black pepper.

by Anonymousreply 93July 5, 2019 3:25 PM

r93, did your meat end up shredded like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 5, 2019 3:45 PM

Pancakes Barbara!

by Anonymousreply 95July 5, 2019 3:47 PM

The chili that I grew up with in Brooklyn, which will probably scandalize the rest of the country. It's ground beef, canned tomatoes, kidney beans, onions, green pepper, garlic, chili powder, which is served over rice. Not spicy, my mother didn't do spicy. It is comfort food to me.

No cornbread or crackers or raw chopped onions or or cilantro or cheese on top.

by Anonymousreply 96July 5, 2019 3:57 PM

It's hot and humid I'm making a cold lobster salad with heirloom tomatoes and avocado.

by Anonymousreply 97July 5, 2019 3:57 PM

I was thinking of making arroz con pollo after coming across a Youtube video - it looked delicious, though the recipe was a bit labor intensive and required a few things that I don't have on hand and prefer not to buy if I won't be using them regularly.

I went online to find something a little simpler and found many versions, from various Latin countries. I've narrowed it down between a Cuban and a Puerto Rican version. I bought some Goya recaito to use in whichever one I make.

by Anonymousreply 98July 5, 2019 4:09 PM

That's basically how I make chili, r96. The only difference is that instead of chili powder from a single jar, I mix together ground ancho, cumin, garlic powder, and chipotle (ground, not in adobo).

You can leave out the chipotle if you don't like heat, though I don't use an oppressive amount. If I want extra heat, I slice a serrano chile lengthwise and let it cook with the chili. I don't remove the seeds or membranes. This is my favorite way to add heat.

My only garnish is sour cream.

by Anonymousreply 99July 5, 2019 4:34 PM

I love Middle Eastern food and would like to make OP's Persian eggplant soup but other than aromatics of onion and garlic, there is only one teaspoon of turmeric to season the entire dish. With all the muddy blandness of eggplant, chickpeas and lentils, my palate is going to want something to spark this dish up. It's a good base but I would probably have to amp up the seasonings. The yogurt-mint-onion garnish is a start but I suspect not enough to brighten up this recipe for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 100July 5, 2019 4:39 PM

A while ago I bought a 10 pack of Indonesian Curry mix (rendang), so I'm going to be making up a kilo or so of beef curry in the instant pot, adding my own lemongrass, shallots, garlic and galangal as well.

by Anonymousreply 101July 5, 2019 4:49 PM

I once made a relish-y thing of onion, chili, and parsley to go with Indian food, r100. It probably has a name, but I never got into Indian cooking, so I don't remember. And then you can serve yogurt with a chopped herb of your choice to cool it down a little.

by Anonymousreply 102July 5, 2019 4:49 PM

I made this recipe for a gathering yesterday. New England Baked Beans. I did it because the recipe was so straight-forward, but the result was incredible. These baked beans are like crack.

I followed the recipe exactly until I discovered I was out of dry mustard. After some research, I substituted a tablespoon of yellow mustard. It can't have been the thing that put it over the top.

Bookmark this recipe. Make it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 5, 2019 5:03 PM

Would you mind cutting and pasting, r103. It's behind a paywall.

by Anonymousreply 104July 5, 2019 5:44 PM

R94 Absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 105July 5, 2019 8:21 PM

New England Baked Beans - for R104

INGREDIENTS

Salt 1 pound (2 1/2 cups) dried navy beans, picked over and rinsed

6 ounces salt pork, rinsed, cut into 3 pieces

1 onion, halved

½ cup molasses

2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 teaspoons dry mustard

½ teaspoon pepper

1 bay leaf

You’ll get fewer blowouts if you soak the beans overnight, but if you’re pressed for time, you can quick-salt-soak your beans. In step 1, combine the salt, water, and beans in a large Dutch oven and bring them to a boil over high heat. Remove the pot from the heat, cover it, and let it stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse the beans and proceed with the recipe.

1. Dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons salt in 2 quarts cold water in large container. Add beans and let soak at room temperature for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Drain and rinse well.

2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Combine beans, salt pork, onion, molasses, sugar, soy sauce, mustard, pepper, bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 4 cups water in large Dutch oven. (Liquid should cover beans by about 1/2 inch. Add more water if necessary.) Bring to boil over high heat. Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook until beans are softened and bean skins curl up and split when you blow on them, about 2 hours. (After 1 hour, stir beans and check amount of liquid. Liquid should just cover beans. Add water if necessary.)

3. Remove lid and continue to cook until beans are fully tender, browned, and slightly crusty on top, about 1 hour longer. (Liquid will reduce slightly below top layer of beans.)

4. Remove pot from oven, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Using wooden spoon or rubber spatula, scrape any browned bits from sides of pot and stir into beans. Discard onion and bay leaf. (Salt pork can be eaten, if desired.) Let beans stand, uncovered, until liquid has thickened slightly and clings to beans, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve. (Beans can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.)

by Anonymousreply 106July 5, 2019 8:56 PM

Hey R106, is it really worth it?

New Englander here whose been to boatloads of potlucks with every hick frau's Boston Baked Beans in their cute bean pot. Honestly, I've always been underwhelmed expecting them to be so much better than canned Bush's. Truth is, I couldn't tell the difference. My ex BF, a chef from a VT B&B, confirmed that baked beans are the most perfect food to can and their quality retains and flavor mellows. Maybe he's wrong. But why make something that takes 12 hrs when you could heat a can in 5 minutes and be equally satisfied if you hadn't known?

Not trying to disparage your recipe and I'm sure your beans are delicious but honestly curious for feedback before I make them from scratch, if I ever do.

by Anonymousreply 107July 5, 2019 9:22 PM

Yes, I thought the recipe was exceptional. All you do is dump the ingredients in a dutch oven and cook them. Very little else. Soaking them overnight in some water counts for nothing.

And the recipe does not take 12 hours. 3 hours in the oven. That's about it.

by Anonymousreply 108July 5, 2019 9:33 PM

I'm Mike at our Palm Springs shared holiday rental. I'm in charge of the cocktails.

by Anonymousreply 109July 5, 2019 9:39 PM

Today I bought take out ziti and meatballs - too hot at home to prepare myself. I sautéd mushrooms and carrots in butter, olive oil, and added a couple of halved cherry tomatoes and a few anchovies. Then I jumped in the ziti and meatballs and left it on super low to melange. A bit of pecorino and enjoyed with COOL Nero d'Avola from Sicily.

My dish was a sacrilege and not Italian at all but extremely savoury.

by Anonymousreply 110July 5, 2019 9:49 PM

[quote]Then I jumped in the ziti and meatballs

I hope you took your shoes and socks off.

by Anonymousreply 111July 5, 2019 10:13 PM

Thanks, r106. It sounds wonderful. I assume since it's from ATK, they must have given careful consideration to the matter of adding salt so early in the process (many cooks don't add salt to the beans until the cooking process is over). I will be eager to taste the results of doing it this way.

As for the guy whose husband thinks canned are just as good, well, I have never eaten canned beans as much as I have beans I soaked and cooked.

by Anonymousreply 112July 6, 2019 1:53 AM

The eggplant soup was delicious! Try it out some time if you can get your hand on some of those ingredients.

This week, my favorite pasta while growing up: pasta con le sarde! Basically pasta with sardines.. trust me, it tastes better than it sounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 15, 2019 4:08 AM

I'm looking at a small ripe pumpkin. What do I do with it?

by Anonymousreply 114July 15, 2019 10:45 AM

Grilled lamb chops, and a special dish I love in summer, braised fresh spinach in olive oil and garlic, with cannellini beans ad cherry tomatoes topped with grated Pecorino.

by Anonymousreply 115July 15, 2019 11:54 AM

Shrimp and corn chowder. But instead of frozen and canned corn I use fresh and sauté it for about 10 minutes and then add some white wine before starting the recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 15, 2019 12:01 PM

Sorry, I was underwhelmed by the Persian Eggplant soup. Agree that it needs more spices. I finished it, usually by adding a splash of red wine vinegar or lemon juice to the bowl.

What does ATK say about adding salt to the beans before/while cooking? I'm pretty sure I've read their advice elsewhere confirming -not- to add salt until afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 117July 15, 2019 1:05 PM

Let Bridget explain it all for you, complete with a kicky animation illustrating how the salt softens the outer layer of the beans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 15, 2019 1:10 PM

But people add salt because the dried beans are "old". If the supermarket regularly restocks the beans because it's a popular item, then they are fresher and salting is overkill, except at the end, to taste.

R107, beans in the can are cooked by steaming. They add a shitton of salt. Look at the ingredients label, it's easy to reach your daily limit of sodium by eating canned beans.

by Anonymousreply 119July 15, 2019 1:37 PM

Shitton?

Good grief.

by Anonymousreply 120July 15, 2019 1:41 PM

Does a shitton of salt smell bad?

by Anonymousreply 121July 15, 2019 1:47 PM

R113, that looks delicious.

Another recipe that is vaguely the same but we'll see...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 15, 2019 4:17 PM

Mmmmm! That looks good, R122. Carbs on Carbs!

by Anonymousreply 123July 15, 2019 4:36 PM

R117, I added some spices to the soup, since after initially trying it out, it was a little bland -- more salt, z'aatar, a lil cumin. It helped!

by Anonymousreply 124July 15, 2019 6:10 PM

I made collard greens with smoked pork neckbones and butterscotch chip oat krispie cookies. So yummy!

by Anonymousreply 125July 15, 2019 8:33 PM

I’ve got venison chili simmering now made with organic hormone/steroid- free meat from a deer my daddy killed a few months back, cumin, oregano, onion, chili powder, salt, black and red pepper, minced garlic cloves, stewed tomatoes, a diced jalapeño, and a cup of black beans. I’ll serve it in a bowl with warm buttered flour tortillas on the side.

by Anonymousreply 126July 15, 2019 9:41 PM

Olive-artichoke tapenade

by Anonymousreply 127July 15, 2019 9:45 PM

Tabbouleh - the kind with a shitton of flat parsley, larger chunks of vegetables, and coarse bulgar

by Anonymousreply 128July 15, 2019 9:47 PM

Is that your actual father, R126? Or was the deer killed by an old man who fucks you?

by Anonymousreply 129July 15, 2019 9:50 PM

[quote]I'm looking at a small ripe pumpkin. What do I do with it?

Have your fairy godmother turn it into a coach, of course.

by Anonymousreply 130July 15, 2019 9:50 PM

R129 - no it’s my actual father, who is an avid deer and turkey hunter!

by Anonymousreply 131July 15, 2019 9:57 PM

It looks like Curried Placenta, OP.

by Anonymousreply 132July 15, 2019 10:03 PM

I had a bunch of vegetables to use up, so I made a vegetable barley soup from the linked recipe. I tinkered with it some, using some leftover beef broth and some beef bouillon, and it calls for a teaspoon of sugar. I was out, so I used---gasp! maple syrup. It sweetened things a tad, but you couldn't detect the maple. I used fresh garlic in place of the garlic powder too. I doubled the tomatoes because they were around. All the additions really helped. I was quite pleased with the soup and will certainly make it again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 15, 2019 10:14 PM

Salads. The lettuce crop is in, along with the start of summer vegetables, so everything is fresh and mostly local. Wegman's has different levels of bleu cheesieness in their crumbles from milky to tangy and milky is also creamy, so it's a nice foil for crumbled bacon, avocado slices, pickled red onions, mandarin orange segments, and three lettuces lightly tossed in a champagne vinaigrette.

Sparkling water via Sodastream, a fresh baguette, Irish butter and Rainier cherries for dessert. A wonderful meal on a warm summer evening.

by Anonymousreply 134July 15, 2019 11:17 PM

What's wrong with shitton?

by Anonymousreply 135July 16, 2019 12:57 PM

The hyphen is missing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 16, 2019 1:05 PM

Ah. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 137July 16, 2019 2:11 PM

Shittake is better than Shitton

by Anonymousreply 138July 16, 2019 3:35 PM

It’s not cooking, but I’m making a Cobb salad for our dinner. It’s too hot to cook.

by Anonymousreply 139July 16, 2019 3:37 PM

It’s not a real Cobb Salad unless it is all chopped into small pieces—no large lettuce leaves. And it must contain avocado.

by Anonymousreply 140July 16, 2019 6:11 PM

Dried shitake mushrooms. You don't want that in your soup, do you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 16, 2019 7:34 PM

Agreed it's too hot to cook, I made a lobster salad.

by Anonymousreply 142July 16, 2019 7:37 PM

I know it's hot weather, but I think I'm going to try (again) cooking black beans from dried. This time, I'm going to try this Cook's Illustrated "salty soak" method. It's just a presoak with salt. One pound beans, 4 quarts water, and 3 Tablespoons salt. (Bush's canned is good, though.)

Also have been eating a lot of Rainier cherries. I think I like the bing cherries more, but they've not been available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 16, 2019 8:09 PM

Sliced canned Spam on top of a bed of shredded cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 144July 16, 2019 9:13 PM

[quote]Brining Formula: For 1 pound of dried beans, dissolve 3 tablespoons of table salt in 4 quarts of cold water. Soak the beans at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours. Drain and rinse them well before using.

Thank you, r143. I am definitely going to use salt next time.

by Anonymousreply 145July 16, 2019 9:15 PM

I got a bunch of veggies from my friends folks (they operate a greenhouse), so I'm thinking

- Grilled pork chops with a simple tomato/cucumber/thin sliced red onion salad, simply dressed with extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, sea salt and cracked black pepper. - Beefsteak tomato BLT's with thick cut bacon, romaine & mayo on some crusty Italian bread. - Sauteed escarole, simply with some garlic, olive oil, sea salt, cracked black pepper, and some red pepper flakes. I'll probably use it as a side dish to some grilled rib eye steak and some baby potatoes. - Hot peppers in oil. I've also got a lot of hot Hungarian wax peppers, so I'll make a few batches of these and jar them.

by Anonymousreply 146July 16, 2019 9:47 PM

Do you have to call us "veggies," r146?

by Anonymousreply 147July 16, 2019 9:59 PM

I baked three boules of bread today.

by Anonymousreply 148July 16, 2019 10:33 PM

I’m trying low-carb but delicious recipes lately to get rid of my pot belly (or at least reduce it) so I can hopefully get laid this summer. Tonight is whole roasted chicken on a bed of cauliflower. The vegetable soaks up flavor from the chicken and gets crispy and caramelized around the edges. The chicken roasts to perfection and doesn’t get too soggy on the bottom. Instead of fattening gravy, I turn the pan juices into a tangy vinaigrette with some herbs and lemon juice.

by Anonymousreply 149July 16, 2019 10:50 PM

R146, have you even been bitch slapped for using the word "veggies" ?

by Anonymousreply 150July 16, 2019 11:15 PM

Don't laugh, R146: it has happened.

Dinner sounds lovely, too.

by Anonymousreply 151July 17, 2019 12:20 AM

Feta, spinach and red onion omellete. Monterey Jack, ham and green pepper omellete. Cheddar and tomato omellete. I like eggs.

by Anonymousreply 152July 17, 2019 1:13 AM

R147, my sincere apologies.

by Anonymousreply 153July 17, 2019 3:02 AM

Simple simple simple

Simply Simply Simply.

Get a thesaurus, r146

by Anonymousreply 154July 17, 2019 10:40 AM

R152, omelettes are a great supper. Minimal time in front of a stove, and a complete meal. The French have good ideas. Like a quiche, but you don’t have to turn on the oven!

by Anonymousreply 155July 17, 2019 4:37 PM

Anyone have a good quinoa salad recipe? My friend is gluten free and i was hoping to serve a cold side dish. Thx!

by Anonymousreply 156July 22, 2019 4:02 PM

Anyone have a good quinoa salad recipe? My friend is gluten free and i was hoping to serve a cold side dish. Thx!

by Anonymousreply 157July 22, 2019 4:02 PM

Grilled pork chops. Fettucine with broccoli raab. Spinach crop is in (i'm an avid gardener) so plenty of salads. Trout with lyonnaise potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 158July 22, 2019 4:12 PM

I’m getting my inspiration from her...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 22, 2019 4:36 PM

I roasted a chicken, and already hadsomewith veggies. Today I'll have chicken salad.I'll probably do chicken fried Rice, and that should get me through 5 days.

by Anonymousreply 160July 22, 2019 4:40 PM

[quote]veggies

You do that on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 161July 22, 2019 8:46 PM

R156 used quinoa and gluten free in one sentence...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 22, 2019 9:38 PM

Shit-ton of hunter's stew; then, white bean and sausage soup to freeze, for the Labor Day Weekend fiesta.

by Anonymousreply 163July 22, 2019 11:55 PM

Sherried beef with snow peas.

by Anonymousreply 164July 23, 2019 12:04 AM

It's warm here this week so I'm going to whip up a batch of gazpacho in the Vita Mix: Low Sodium Very Veggie juice, a cucumber, seeded, red pepper, cilantro and some fire roasted medium salsa.

by Anonymousreply 165July 23, 2019 12:30 AM

I just got a new roasting pan, and so far I've made a batch of carnitas, and meatballs w/sauce in it. I'm thinking about making some slow roasted beef tips with mushrooms and gravy today.

by Anonymousreply 166July 29, 2019 3:03 PM

Zucchini fritters with Parmesan and ham. Making them in my air fryer.

by Anonymousreply 167July 29, 2019 3:42 PM

Did you bake your meatballs in the new roasting pan, r166? Or saute them?

by Anonymousreply 168July 29, 2019 10:28 PM

I want French Fries.

by Anonymousreply 169August 13, 2019 3:35 AM

I made a pumpkin, potato and gorgonzola velouté. Yummy.

by Anonymousreply 170August 13, 2019 4:08 AM

R168, I baked them in the pan, then added sauce, and baked them some more.

by Anonymousreply 171August 13, 2019 5:03 AM

Peach Crostatas - made 3 of 'em this weekend because, well, there are lots of peaches around these days. We ate one, froze one, and gave one to new neighbors next door.

by Anonymousreply 172August 13, 2019 12:41 PM

Last weekend I cooked up a MD crab & shrimp boil and a chile relleno beef casserole with poblano from the farmers market. It was so good! This week I want to eat lots of grilled corn or a corn pudding and I want to try a new South-Eastern Asia tomato salad I heard on the Splendid Table podcast.

by Anonymousreply 173August 14, 2019 11:12 AM

I need fresh corn and tomato recipes please!

by Anonymousreply 174August 23, 2019 12:04 PM

I'll be making Three Golden Potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 175August 23, 2019 4:11 PM

I'm leaving town next week for a week, and I'm clearing out the fridge. I figure I'll be eating canned Tuna by Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 176August 23, 2019 4:35 PM

Fresh grilled scallops over vegetable risotto.

Sirloin/veg shish kebab

Nectarine mousse cake.

by Anonymousreply 177August 23, 2019 11:55 PM

Experimenting with keto this week. Chicken thighs in cream sauce tonight.

by Anonymousreply 178August 27, 2019 6:06 PM

I have more tomatoes than I can eat this week. BLTs, bruschetta, mozzarella and tomatoes, tomato sauce, frittata.

by Anonymousreply 179August 27, 2019 6:40 PM

Me too r179 I will slow oven roast and freeze some in olive oil, make some pico de gallo. I'm also loving fresh sliced tomatoes with oil & vinegar sprinkled with penzey's Greek spice, fresh oregano & feta- yum.

by Anonymousreply 180August 30, 2019 6:13 PM

Lamb steaks with wild rice and salad.

by Anonymousreply 181September 8, 2019 12:58 AM

Chicken Stir fry.

Secret: I microwave frozen breasts till they are cooked through THEN slice and add.

by Anonymousreply 182September 8, 2019 1:18 AM

Fried spam sandwiches on rye bread with fresh homegrown tomato slices, crisp iceberg lettuce, and a generous spread of Duke’s mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 183September 8, 2019 3:32 AM

Spinach pie and beef vegetable soup with barley

by Anonymousreply 184September 8, 2019 10:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!