Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Skeeter Davis and her tragic life

I've loved "End of the World" since I was a little kid. I heard it recently and decided to do some reading on Skeeter. I had no idea her life was as tragic as it was: Her mother was a depressive who tried to jump out the window and commit suicide with Skeeter and her baby brother in her arms; dad was a raging alcoholic. After she got some young success singing in The Davis Sisters, her bandmate died in a head-on collision with Skeeter in the car; the mother of the dead bandmate subsequently pushed the girl's younger sister into the role, and allegedly drugged Skeeter repeatedly while she was convalescing from the accident—a rough start to say the least. I absolutely adore her voice; she instilled a tone of sadness in most everything she sang, and now, knowing more about her, I kind of understand why.

Video is Skeeter covering Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" rather beautifully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2020 5:19 AM

So it’s the end of the world when he said goodbye ? Stupid song.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2019 8:19 AM

Always loved Skeeter. She was like a cooler, more hippie-ish version of Tammy Wynette.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2019 8:24 AM

Skeeter Davis

The End of the World. One of the all-time great songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2019 8:35 AM

R3 Nobody writes that type of lyrics these days

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2019 8:52 AM

One of my first few LPs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2019 10:54 AM

They played a commercial of her hawking a Greatest Hits album and I remember the way that "Don't they know, it's the end of the world?" song stuck in your craw. She certainly sounded dramatic. Later, Andrea Martin did a Greatest Hits version of Connie Francis. One of the songs had the lyric "I'm losing my hearing, I've lost sight in one eye. What's that you're saying? Did you say good-bye?" It was sub-titled 20 of the most depressing songs ever written or something like that. It sure had a Skeeter vibe to it though. Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2019 12:33 PM

This was a cute song that was later covered by Tracey Ullman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2019 12:18 PM

Yes, Skeeter had a tragic life and there was an underlying sadness in her voice. Like Karen Carpenter.

by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2020 5:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!