Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who use local abbreviations and expect the world to recognize them.

This happens everywhere on the internet. Someone writes "UM' and expects the world to know whether that means University of Michigan, University of Miami, Upper Missouri, etc.

This seems to be getting worse on Datalounge. Do you know where Mimo, NoVa, or UP are?

Why do people not realize that the internet is international? It is not based in your little corner of the world.

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2019 5:26 PM

This is a serious issue, needing serious debate.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2019 7:49 PM

I'd say NoVa (Northern Virginia), UP (Upper peninsula of Michigan), Mimo….mimosa?

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2019 7:58 PM

FOAD

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2019 7:59 PM

I say FU for "go fuck yourself." I'm happy to spell it out for OP, however.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2019 7:59 PM

DMV, no, not the dept of motor vehicles. 🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2019 8:00 PM

People use them here with excruciating frequency.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2019 8:04 PM

Of course everyone knows "WW" stands for Walla Walla!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2019 8:19 PM

Especially true with the theater queens and their abbreviations of shows and stars.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2019 8:24 PM

Some make the mental effort to choose their words carefully, so that everyone understands them easily.

Lazy passive aggressive cunts can't be bothered; the rabble that surround them is too dumb to understand their genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2019 8:25 PM

R2, Mimo is a neighborhood in Miami.

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2019 1:09 PM

I like that the DL takes me RTW

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2019 2:03 PM

I appreciate OP for starting this thread. The abusive overuse of random acronyms and abbreviations stilts a cohesive thought in written communication. We should want people to stop and think about the point we're trying to make - not force them to stop and decipher the stupid acronym your lazy ass couldn't spell out thereby eclipsing your original thought.

R9 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2019 2:10 PM

Even "LA" can be problematic -- Los Angeles or Louisiana?

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2019 4:46 PM

NoVa has been in use for several years now. I don't think it's too much to expect you to learn that abbreviation, or NoLa or KCMO.

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2019 5:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!