Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

America's Test Kitchen: The Post Christopher Kimball Era

Are you all still watching? At first I thought I would miss curmudgeon Christopher Kimball, but I really don't. I like Bridget Lancaster and Julia Collin Davidson both separately and together. I'm really glad Julia grew out that Rosie O haircut though! I'm only sad that somehow the excellent America's Test Kitchen podcast is collateral damage and is no more. Not sure how Christopher Kimball's Milk Street project is working out and if he made the right choice (I love Sara Moulton though and I'm jealous she regularly appears on his podcasts). What do you all think of the new ATK?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175May 22, 2020 6:29 PM

I don't. For me, cooking shows have all the drama of watching paint dry. I know how to cook.

It's like sausage. I like to eat it (and know how to make it) but have no interest in seeing how it's made by someone else.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2019 7:10 PM

I love those two little porkers on ATK. I liked Kimball, but don't really miss him. His new show doesn't capture me either.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2019 7:17 PM

It's a good show but sometimes watching fat fraus drool over unhealthy food grosses me out. At the same time, this is a good diet tool because I don't want to end up obese.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2019 7:19 PM

I don't think they make unhealthy good - ATK's whole thing is they taste test recipes a number of different ways to get the home cook the best results. Christopher Kimball always seemed persnickety and unhappy to be there, but it was still the goose that laid the Golden egg. I don't get why he left. Julia and Bridget seem much more appreciative.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2019 7:26 PM

^ *food, not good.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2019 7:27 PM

I prefer it more now. Kimball was strange and came off like an overcompensating beta male. Bridget especially is fun.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2019 7:35 PM

God I can't stand America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country these days. Frau, frau, frau. I liked Bridget and Julia as sidekicks to Kimball. Bridget definitely knew how to keep him in line.

There are two new women on the programs now... a redhead and a tall, thin woman with brown hair. God, more fraus. The redhead's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard and the brunette barely registers.

The men on the program all seem neutered.

I don't even care about the cooking these days, everything feels like suburban slop for busy Mommys. I saw an episode today and the big recipe was homemade pizza in a 12" skillet! How exciting! It looked like a frozen pizza when placed on the counter. Blech.

Kimball's "Milk Street" doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, but I find those recipes more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2019 7:42 PM

I've always liked them both separately - Bridget Lancaster and Julia Collin Davidson - but their schtick together is annoying and way too cutesy. It just seems like they are trying way too hard to be trendy and entertaining. I never liked Kimball but something is off about the show since he's been gone. It's not the lack of Kimball himself; I think the dual host idea isn't working .

I do enjoy seeing more male eye candy with Dan Souza, Keith Dresser, and Bryan Roof.

As for Kimball's new show. It sucks. It has no idea what it wants to be. The recipes are rarely practical. Don't understand why it's still on. And I'm disappointed that Sara Moulton is lending her name and talents to a rather sleazy guy.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2019 8:04 PM

The more I think about it...It seems very amateurish now. It no longer appears or feels professional.

They tried to make it more accessible, and now all it seems like is a bunch of people got together and decided to put on a show in their kitchen for a few laughs. Not literally, of course, but that's the general feel.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2019 8:18 PM

Bryan and Dan are both hot

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2019 8:22 PM

The reasons for Kimball's departure are covered in detail all over the internet. Basically he lost controlling ownership of the TV/publishing conglomerate he started after a couple divorce settlements; and due to creative differences - Kimball has baby tastes, basically, and the show had an all-white cast - the corporate board removed him from his executive position, then fired Kimball after they learned he was using company resources to start a competing business {Milk Street).

The ironic thing is that Kimball hates spicy food, and his new show is all about spicy food. His new show is definitely on-trend with Asian/international flavors and heat. And again, this is innovative. Most cooking shows, and especially late ones, are traditional and familiar. His new cast is ... adjacent is the best way to describe them. Nobody stands out racially, but few seem real white either. Vermont doesn't see a lot of minorities.

ATK has had a great run, how long now? Almost 20 years. Everybody involved should be proud of themselves. The recipes are good, but are often overcomplicated. I have used the baking recipes a lot where being exacting helps. But for cooking, I probably haven't used more than a half-dozen ATK or Cook's Country recipes in my life.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2019 8:56 PM

Dan should be in every single episode.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2019 9:26 PM

I never got into Kimball at all, but I'm enjoying the large amount of newer material ATK has on YouTube. Bridget and Julia are very enjoyable and witty hosts, and YouTube viewers may have noticed the 'kickers' or tags on the end of some of the YT clips and shows where they flirt with each other. These are 2 happily married fraus, presumably. (22:30 in clip).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2019 9:39 PM

I love ATK. I have several cookbooks and the recipes are great for the most part. It seems like Bridget and Julia have blossomed without Chris.

But my favorite is Bryan Roof. I just think he's adorable. And it looks like he's been beefing up a bit. Too bad he's straight. But it's nice that Dan plays for our team.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2019 10:39 PM

I like Julia and Bridget better than Chris K. but I like Chris K's Milk Street recipes better.

Of rest of the cast, I like Elle, Lisa, and our Danny Boy.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2019 10:53 PM

The show is much better without Kimball. It has a breezier feel. The cooks used to be uptight around him because he constantly needed his ego stroked.

His Milk Street show is unwatchable. I haven't been interested in a single recipe he's featured this season. It's all about exotic food and ingredients from places like Africa and Malaysia. It reminds me of when Martha Stewart's last PBS show based upon the food of the Middle East. It's just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2019 10:54 PM

I think some well heeled Middle Easterners funded MS's Arabian Peninsula cooking project as a PR or vanity project.

Those recipes were great, but ridiculously complicated and insanely expensive. Every week featured a half oz of saffron, several helpings of cardamom, expensive meat and fish, and vanilla BEANS bitches, because Muslims don't do alcohol as is found in vanilla extract.

Those recipes were perfect for Muslim shut-in women who can't drive and have nothing to do all day but make 15-step recipes.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2019 12:22 AM

Is Dan S. gay?

News to me.

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2019 12:24 AM

[quote]The show is much better without Kimball. It has a breezier feel. The cooks used to be uptight around him because he constantly needed his ego stroked.

You NAILED it. The cooks, especially the tall thin one with brown hair, seem much more comfortable without Chris around.

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2019 1:46 AM

[quote]Is Dan S. gay?

We don't know.

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2019 2:13 AM

The first time I saw Julia and Bridget I assumed they were a lesbian couple. I believe they mentioned they were once roommates.

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2019 2:15 AM

[quote]Dan should be in every single episode.

Dan should be in every single segment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2019 2:21 AM

Dan may be straight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXYf4pdIos

by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2019 2:30 AM

R23 missed the box.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2019 2:31 AM

I like the show just fine without Chris. Milk Street is very blah. His assistant chefs are not great fun, and, Chris' apron : one of the worst colors one could ever imagine.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2019 2:37 AM

Chris would always make a sour face at the test kitchen chefs and act like he didn't like their food. They seem more relaxed with him gone.

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2019 2:39 AM

I thought Dan was straight?

That little Asian chef who's in segments now is hot, too.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2019 2:59 AM

Keith is heavenly. Bryan is hot, too. They don't need shirts to cook, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2019 3:16 AM

Dan Souza, Keith Dresser, and Bryan Roof. Handsome men. Love the way they talk about food/cooking.

by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2019 3:25 AM

The assistant chefs on Milk Street act like they secretly loathe Chris. They all smile through gritted teeth, just like they used to do on ATK and Cook's Country.

I haven't seen any new Cooks' Country shows recently. Is it still in production?

by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2019 3:33 AM

Bad apron color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2019 3:36 AM

I continue to like both this show and Kimball’s new show. But man, when the chef Katherine on his show starts a segment with him, I have to mute the volume. Her voice is the most annoying-sounding thing on earth. —More than even Nick Stellino’s!

by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2019 3:51 AM

Am I the only one that watches either the old or new show and disagrees with the chefs just to be contrary? There’s something smug and annoying about them always claiming to have the best recipe, and making you go through all the extra steps. Did they finally get rid of those annoying guitar chords during the waits?

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2019 5:55 AM

All the cooking shows make it look "easy". The banter is the only reason I watch.

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2019 5:57 AM

I've always like Julia and Brigette, and they just keep getting better. I also enjoy Lisa, the strange little gadget girl. It's as if the odd loner from high school found her niche. Dan's segments are best, and most informative about food science.

by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2019 7:44 AM

What I stupid with most cooking shows, but less so with ATK, is the insistence of unsalted butter and then adding salt as an ingredient. WTF?! Tragically trendy or could one taste the difference?

I also don't like the kosher salt kraze. "Motor oil is motor oil," in my book.

by Anonymousreply 36May 26, 2019 12:25 PM

Why is Dan's smile often crooked?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2019 1:09 PM

Listen here, r37:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 26, 2019 1:13 PM

I know he's like the executive producer or something, but that Jack guy who does the tastes tests with Julia and Bridget is tough to look at. I think it's the gummy smile he has pasted on his face. Seems intelligent though.

by Anonymousreply 39May 26, 2019 3:04 PM

R36 I think the argument is that you can better control the salt level of a dish this way, but I'm not that sophisticated and I'm not buying two different types of butter.

by Anonymousreply 40May 26, 2019 3:10 PM

The level of salt in salted butter isn't standardized in the US. Hence the foodie suggestion that you begin with unsalted. If the recipe uses unsalted, I usually reduce added salt by half when I use salted butter, then 'season to taste' at the end. This generally works fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2019 6:56 PM

Dan is the epitome of normal. Yeah, his left lower lip sags, but usually, they film him from the right. Besides, nothing normalizes a guy like a big ugly flaw. Sure, he's straight, but as he has said in the past, "that's the way your God made me. Maybe next life, I will be gay."

by Anonymousreply 42May 26, 2019 8:00 PM

Dan is just my type. Adorable.

by Anonymousreply 43May 26, 2019 8:21 PM

[quote]Sure, he's straight, but as he has said in the past, "that's the way your God made me. Maybe next life, I will be gay."

Wasn't that John Mulaney?

by Anonymousreply 44May 26, 2019 8:25 PM

I don't know about now, but the short fat blonde used to be thinner and unmarried, and a lesbian bar I visited in Toronto had a blown up photo of her on one wall.

This was maybe 2002 or so.

by Anonymousreply 45May 26, 2019 8:28 PM

That is so incredible, R45.

by Anonymousreply 46May 26, 2019 8:36 PM

Cute couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 26, 2019 8:43 PM

'''

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 26, 2019 8:43 PM

What’s the difference between America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country?

by Anonymousreply 49May 26, 2019 8:50 PM

R49 The set.

by Anonymousreply 50May 26, 2019 8:56 PM

R36, Kosher salt does taste different from regular table salt. Table salt usually has iodine in it, so it tastes more metallic and differently salty. It also measures and dissolves differently, so it works better when seasoning a steak before cooking, for example. In some cases, it won't matter, like when salting boiling water, but it certainly does in other dishes.

by Anonymousreply 51May 26, 2019 8:57 PM

I love watching Bridget cook--I think she is self-taught and her cookbook is great. Julia has grown on me but I used to hate when she called food "sucker"--as in, "Look at that sucker." They are both brilliant cooks. I like the way that Dan's face reflects his happiness with a dish. Keith is growing on me. I like Lisa a lot and her tool segments are informative. I would love to do a taste test with Jack. I like Becky and Elle, and Erin has real skill as a chef (though she is a bit monotone). Adam is a friend of a friend and he is a very kind and funny man.

by Anonymousreply 52May 26, 2019 9:33 PM

I'm sure she's a nice person, but tall Becky Hays has the most irritating voice to me.

I can't watch her segments because of it. As I've gotten older, there are some female voices I cannot listen to for any length of time and hers is one.

I honestly don't know if women's voices have changed or if it's my hearing that's the problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 27, 2019 11:59 AM

Agreed, R53, but she's always bugged me. It's also the cheerfulness which I'm sure goes off like a light when the cameras aren't on.

by Anonymousreply 54May 27, 2019 3:48 PM

I thought that Asian chef was around 12, but he's nearly 30.

by Anonymousreply 55May 28, 2019 11:06 AM

Dan is cute, but he needs to hide that limp stroke lip of his.

by Anonymousreply 56May 28, 2019 11:26 AM

I like Dan's uneven smile/lip - it's cute.

by Anonymousreply 57May 28, 2019 11:29 AM

R56 needs to hide his limp stroke self (including his limp stroke dick, one imagines).

by Anonymousreply 58May 28, 2019 11:30 AM

Please whatever is happening with Dan's lip you guys would deal with it. Maybe it makes him a better at other things.

Becky is just annoying never mind the voice. She thinks she's superior to everyone else on the set.

Testing Guy is gay though right?

by Anonymousreply 59May 28, 2019 11:37 AM

R56, sorry for having standards for chefs. R59, his lip might cause issues during oral.

by Anonymousreply 60May 28, 2019 11:44 AM

Kimball was some sort of austere strain of Protestant from Vermont, probably descended from the original Puritans based on that Mayflower-ish surname of his. I think that informed his curmudgeon ways, it seems to have come through loud and clear to me in the magazine column where he’d extol the virtue of traditional living in Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 61May 28, 2019 11:50 AM

One thing they don't do as often as they did under Kimball was show failed versions of the dish at the beginning of the segment. I could always identify with those.

by Anonymousreply 62May 28, 2019 2:57 PM

I didn't realize that gay Jack Bishop owns the company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 28, 2019 4:12 PM

Thanks r63!

by Anonymousreply 64May 28, 2019 4:50 PM

all i heard about for years was what a huge fat ass kimball used to be. i can't find one freaking pic of fat kimball anywhere.

i also cannot stand him. then, now, or ever. so smug.

by Anonymousreply 65May 28, 2019 5:03 PM

I always got the vibe that Becky Hays was ready to stab someone at any moment. She seems so high strung all the time.

by Anonymousreply 66May 28, 2019 5:14 PM

Kimball wasn't fat.

by Anonymousreply 67May 28, 2019 6:27 PM

I know a child who has that weird lip thing. In her case, there’s nothing wrong, it’s just a quirk or tic.

by Anonymousreply 68May 28, 2019 7:12 PM

The taste test guy is the biggest nelly who has ever nellied!

by Anonymousreply 69May 28, 2019 7:32 PM

If you mean Jack Bishop, r69, he is allegedly married to a woman (I know, I KNOW).

by Anonymousreply 70May 28, 2019 7:33 PM

[quote]I always got the vibe that Becky Hays was ready to stab someone at any moment. She seems so high strung all the time.

Their website says her previous job was as a securities trader. Fits the profile.

by Anonymousreply 71May 28, 2019 11:28 PM

There's no way that Jack Bishop is straight. He probably got married when he was young and just stay married for the companionship. He probably has kids, too. He probably has a male partner on the side.

by Anonymousreply 72May 28, 2019 11:35 PM

I only like my gay chefs to be fat--no one trusts a twinky chef~

by Anonymousreply 73May 29, 2019 12:02 AM

Adam Reid is gay right?

by Anonymousreply 74May 30, 2019 2:16 AM

Has anyone watched the new season of Cook's Country? Now Julia has fallen prey to the Mad Weaver of ATK (I have my suspicions that it's a folie à deux tag team of Jack and Adam, but I'll save my theory for Websleuths).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2019 8:08 AM

I haven't watched this in years, mainly because I cut the cable back then. Do they still do those sketch audience AKA family taste tests? They are just always so off. All the white folks here in the north east just love Taco Bell salsa or Ragu tomato sauce or fake McCormick Vanilla extract.

Their "ethnic" dishes even the Italian ones were laughable.

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2019 8:28 AM

Looks like I'm an outlier, ATK isn't as enjoyable without Kimball. He provided a good counterpoint to the on-camera chefs, and they seemed to have good rapport though with different ideas on many things. I HATE what's going on with Julia and Bridget now, when they try to teach or explain TO. THE. OTHER. just exactly what is going on, when longtime fans know that they both are aware of what is going on. This is not supposed to be reciprocal cooking lessons for two accomplished chefs/hosts. Too cutesy, too 'twee, too SOMEthing.

The Milk Street TV program was a three and done for me. Received a subscription to his new magazine, which I enjoy, half of it seems to be travelogue. Reading about places I've never heard of or will visit makes the recipes more interesting. Added bonus: The insufferability of the on-camera chefs is not present. Yeesh! those people are hard to like.

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2019 8:47 AM

R65/R67 Kimball was beyond a bit overfed, in point of fact he was definitely morbidly obese. I've often wondered whether he had the actual gastric bypass, or the sleeve/band procedure.

There was a holiday show with Kimball and either his first or second wife, entertaining a very large formal group in their historic home. Not my taste, but museum quality formal American Empire style. Loads of Victoriana mixed in. He was virtually unregognisable to what he is today. He very much looked like Canadian talk show host Scully at the time, and had similar hair.

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2019 9:17 AM

fat pigs !!! gimme a break. yuk

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2019 10:10 AM

Butter fed hogs indeed !

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2019 10:11 AM

Very surprised that some here think pudgy-baldy Brian Roof is hot.

He looks to me like he could be a counterman at the local county feed store. Put him in overalls and there you are!

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2019 10:23 AM

[quote]I haven't watched this in years, mainly because I cut the cable back then.

You don't need cable to watch PBS.

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2019 4:27 PM

Is the CREATE channel in cable television line ups? That's how I watch ATK over-the-air.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2019 9:57 PM

Am I the only one who has a mad crush on Milk Street’s Josh Mamaclay? He’s sooooo dreamy, kinda nerdy but so sweet.

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2019 10:07 PM

CREATE is almost always broadcast on one of your local PBS stations' digital subchannels. It's not a cable network.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2019 10:21 PM

This show is so much better without creepy Kimball. I actually learn a lot more without him constantly trying to get all the attention.

HIs Milk Street program on PBS is beyond tedious. The recipes are not relevant to American tastes. The cooks on the show are dour and can barely conceal their contempt for him.

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2019 11:03 PM

I like Milk Street's recipes better of late. They are more international.

by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2019 11:06 PM

I still watch the show but what do they do, about 7 new shows a year and the rest reruns? It's always reruns.

Tried MilkStreet and I hated it. I'm not at all interested in those kinds of recipes. I hate hot spice and odd , expensive ingredients for dishes I wouldn't cook or eat in a million years.

Why on earth did he go do such an weird show. I really don't like the cast either. They seem to me to have no personality.

I love ATK's Jack Bishop and his taste tests. That's my favorite part of the show. I don't always agree with the winning food but I still enjoy watching.

by Anonymousreply 88October 16, 2019 11:37 PM

Can't stand Bishop's gummy smile. Hard to look at him.

by Anonymousreply 89October 16, 2019 11:47 PM

[quote]I still watch the show but what do they do, about 7 new shows a year and the rest reruns? It's always reruns.

They do a series of ATK, then a series of Cook's Country. Alternating.

by Anonymousreply 90October 17, 2019 2:06 AM

I also really like Bridgit. I agree that the deliberate attempt at teaching comes off as boring and didactic. Like a college professor that everyone hated.

by Anonymousreply 91October 17, 2019 2:20 AM

Elle makes the most appetizing recipes. Becky makes dreck. Brian makes goofball stuff.

by Anonymousreply 92October 17, 2019 3:56 AM

[quote]You don't need cable to watch PBS.

Well not technically, but you still have to pay extra if you want to watch that one channel.

by Anonymousreply 93October 17, 2019 4:18 AM

I quit watching - not necessary because Christopher is no longer there, but because the newer people have no personality and I got bored. Is Adam still on? I liked him, as well as Jack (who I still think is gay even if he is married to a woman). And though I like Bridget and Julia, I do not like them as hosts. I think after Christopher left they should have went to a host less format.

by Anonymousreply 94October 17, 2019 5:46 AM

r93, I can get Create TV using a digital aerial antenna. I don't do it that way because I don't get CBS or NBC, but I do get five different PBS stations. It is free, but it depends where you live relative to your broadcast location. I'm in the same zip code as my PBS station.

by Anonymousreply 95October 17, 2019 6:17 AM

I receive CREATE using my antenna too. I am not in the same zip code. The PBS broadcast antenna is 28 miles away. Comes in clear as bell.

by Anonymousreply 96October 17, 2019 9:12 AM

I think that tall skinny one with the brown hair was already there when CK was still there. She's the one that does the healthy meals that no one else would want to prepare. Now she's there more often. I dislike that gadget woman. Once on her recommendation I bought this thing for the microwave that supposed to make fat free potato chips. $35.00 on Amazon and it was a piece of shit. I used it twice to make sure I did it right the first time and it was still a piece of shit the second time. It was a total waste of a potato, of electricity, my time and of 35 bucks plus tax and shipping since they didn't have Prime back then. I never trust what she says now.

Also Jack Bishop says they never take advertisement. What about all the appliances they show on their website and I'm not talking about their recommended products? If those aren't sort of ads what is? Also other than things from very current shows they want people to pay to see almost anything on the ATK website and have been like that for years.

They can totally shove that. I'm not giving them a cent.

by Anonymousreply 97October 17, 2019 11:07 PM

Bryan Roof is hot. I noticed he no longer wears a wedding ring. His Facebook page is totally private now. He was probably bugged a lot by fans.

by Anonymousreply 98October 17, 2019 11:17 PM

What did a skinnier Bryan look like before his hair fell out and he grew a beard to compensate?

by Anonymousreply 99October 18, 2019 4:30 PM

Bryan is handsome. I don't think he is chubby, but rather muscular. I especially like it when he wears a somewhat tight shirt. Oh Daddy. I think Becky seems really sweet and nice. I'm not sure about the girl with the curly red hair.

by Anonymousreply 100October 18, 2019 4:53 PM

I really like Lan Lam. Very professional and dignified but knows her stuff and isn't showy about it at all. Reminds me of the smartest girl in school who you get to know and find out she's really cool.

by Anonymousreply 101October 18, 2019 4:56 PM

I like her too, though Elle is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 102October 18, 2019 6:52 PM

How about that new guy Lawman Johnson? Was he conceived during an old Western movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103October 18, 2019 11:28 PM

They're really pushing the diversity this season. Elle and Lan (and that Asian guy who seems to have vanished) weren't enough -- now we have Hispanic Natalie Estrada and AA Lawman.

by Anonymousreply 104October 18, 2019 11:30 PM

The two broads are okay, but I preferred Kimball. His delivery wasn't nearly as scripted and rehearsed as theirs is. Every word, every inflection, every reaction with those two is well rehearsed and robotically executed.

by Anonymousreply 105October 18, 2019 11:31 PM

That redhaired gal who does special bits, I can't tolerate with her baby voice.

by Anonymousreply 106October 18, 2019 11:32 PM

I need Bryan Roof to give me a big ol' bear hug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 18, 2019 11:36 PM

He's gorgeous with a ball cap on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 18, 2019 11:37 PM

He's be gorgeous-er with a bag over his head.

by Anonymousreply 109October 19, 2019 11:57 AM

I’d love to feel Bryan Roofs chest hair on my back....woof

by Anonymousreply 110October 19, 2019 1:17 PM

Oh would he's? Ya think?

by Anonymousreply 111October 19, 2019 1:17 PM

Bryan is fuckable, for sure. But Keith! He is hot as hell.

by Anonymousreply 112October 19, 2019 1:41 PM

What makes you think Bryan has chest hair, r110. Bare chest pic?

And his surname -- only other Roof I've ever heard tell of was that racist shit who shot up that Black church in South Carolina. Is Bryan from South Carolina?

by Anonymousreply 113October 19, 2019 1:48 PM

I'm sure he's gay so I'll take the chubby guy who demonstrates products, appliances and such. I love a warm bear of a guy.

by Anonymousreply 114October 20, 2019 12:06 AM

The new episode of Cooks Country began with Julia and Bridget in jeans outside. Damn, Julia looked and walked like a complete dyke.

by Anonymousreply 115October 20, 2019 1:38 AM

Julia has been looking really butch the last few years ever since she got that butch haircut.

by Anonymousreply 116October 20, 2019 1:48 AM

I think it worked better when he was there frowning. It made them strive to please him. And when he was pleased- it made us happy.

by Anonymousreply 117October 20, 2019 1:52 AM

Bryan Roof definitely has chest hair. You can see it in some photos. Dan Souza -- I'm not so sure about.

by Anonymousreply 118October 20, 2019 2:18 AM

Pics or it’s just typical DL wishful thinking. ^^

by Anonymousreply 119October 20, 2019 5:28 AM

Dan has sufficient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 20, 2019 6:37 AM

Sufficient what?

by Anonymousreply 121October 20, 2019 6:46 AM

A sufficiently wispy little tuft of chest hair that's cut off by DL's framing; about 6 hairs per square inch.

by Anonymousreply 122October 20, 2019 7:00 AM

I used to find Dan Souza's lower lip issue off-putting. But now I've decided it's quite sexy. It gives him a bit of swagger.

by Anonymousreply 123October 20, 2019 11:41 AM

If you check out Dan's arms in TV close-ups, he looks quite hairless.

Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 124October 20, 2019 12:35 PM

Never cared for Kimball-- always found his nerdy banter with the women uncomfortable. More important, however, is that I've watched the show for years and years and made dozens of its recipes--- and the great majority have disappointed. To be sure, I'm no Alain Ducasse but I know my way around a kitchen, so it's a headscratcher.

by Anonymousreply 125October 20, 2019 1:28 PM

Stellino's recipes, on the other hand, work really well...but his "storyteller" series is just embarrassing, however, sincere.

by Anonymousreply 126October 20, 2019 1:39 PM

Can't stand Stellino. I think he zhuzhes his Italian shtick up a great deal for that show.

by Anonymousreply 127October 20, 2019 2:25 PM

Could you conjugate that for us, R127?

by Anonymousreply 128October 20, 2019 2:31 PM

Chris Kimball is a dick. These things are quite obvious to some of us.

by Anonymousreply 129October 20, 2019 2:48 PM

I loathe their recipe for mussels. Baking? No! They stick to the shells!

by Anonymousreply 130October 20, 2019 2:53 PM

Please, R129. Please don't use the word "dick" in a sentence with the name "Christopher Kimball."

by Anonymousreply 131October 20, 2019 3:06 PM

How can I watch it if I don't have cable? Is it even on PBS any more?

by Anonymousreply 132October 20, 2019 3:12 PM

It is all over PBS. In my area, it's on the PBS affiliate at least twice a day.

by Anonymousreply 133October 20, 2019 3:17 PM

I just looked at a Milk Street Tuesday Night Cookbook. Full of gochujang, kimchi and turmeric. Maybe Kimball has discovered food beyond French?

by Anonymousreply 134October 20, 2019 3:20 PM

Look for the CREATE channel that broadcasts on the PBS antenna.

by Anonymousreply 135October 20, 2019 3:22 PM

They now make lasagna with cottage cheese instead of ricotta.

Trust me. As an Italian, if you use cottage cheese it isn't lasagna. It's an abomination.

I don't understand why they have this need to "fix" food that doesn't need fixing. Their "lasagna" is far from the only example.

by Anonymousreply 136October 20, 2019 3:39 PM

You'd think the Italian on the show would know that, r136.

by Anonymousreply 137October 20, 2019 3:46 PM

I don't miss bow tie guy either. I like that ATK now has some of their recipes and product reviews on YT and I subscribe to their channel. Like anyone else, their recipes can be hit or miss however the difference is their recipes usually involved 11,000 extra steps so when it turns out bad I'm extra pissed off. For the most part though, more good than bad and their Lemon Bar recipe is the best one of ever made.

by Anonymousreply 138October 20, 2019 3:56 PM

One word: Frico I learned to make these crispy Parmesan potatoes when I was unemployed and looking for jobs inline. I didn't have cable and used to watch Create as background noise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139October 20, 2019 4:13 PM

[quote] I've watched the show for years and years and made dozens of its recipes--- and the great majority have disappointed. To be sure, I'm no Alain Ducasse but I know my way around a kitchen, so it's a headscratcher.

I agree with this. I've found most of their recipes to be disappointing, which is surprising since they test their recipes over and over again. Technically they work, but the taste often isn't there.

Meanwhile, I've rarely tried an Ina Garten recipe that wasn't a success. I don't understand why her recipes are so foolproof and delicious and ATK's aren't?

by Anonymousreply 140October 20, 2019 4:14 PM

Sorry, but I've not had these bad experiences with ATK recipes. They are detailed, I give you that. But they work. And as I never, ever, want to make a dump cake, the detail is appreciated.

They are, however, so detailed that it makes their videos less helpful than they might have been. They are not really instructional recipes. They leave out the instruction while racing ahead to get everything accomplished in the small amount of time allotted. You just get a video of that. When it comes to time to prepare the meal yourself, you discover the complexities.

Julia Child did a much, much, better job on the teaching end of things. But she was the fucking Empress of Detail. NO detail was too small to be eliminated and no process so complex it might require simplification.

by Anonymousreply 141October 20, 2019 4:40 PM

I much prefer Julia and Bridgette. They both come across as knowledgeable but sweet. Bridgette seems like she'd be fun to hangout with. I like her the best of all of them. I've had good luck with most of their recipes, but the show is more about techniques, and I find it interesting.

by Anonymousreply 142October 20, 2019 6:10 PM

It was cruel it write this without providing a photo:

[quote]Kimball was shod in fire-engine red Italian oxfords and had draped a long scarf of some kind of really good angora-type fabric around his shoulders,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 20, 2019 6:22 PM

I've made many of ATK's recipes and have never had a disappointment. In fact, their recipe section on their website is one of my go-to resources for recipes.

by Anonymousreply 144October 21, 2019 8:56 PM

[quote] Julia looked and walked like a complete dyke.

Broads with bag wide asses like she has should never wear tight hip hugging jeans. She was walking like that because she could barely get her legs to move due to the extreme constriction.

by Anonymousreply 145October 21, 2019 9:07 PM

R145, the way the shot was composed, Bridget came into the frame first and Julia's lower body was all we saw as she walked into the shot. The manner she walked made me think it was a guy. When I saw it was Julia, I was shocked. Julia was really pretty but those clear blue eyes looked better when she was young.

by Anonymousreply 146October 21, 2019 9:15 PM

[quote] I've watched the show for years and years and made dozens of its recipes--- and the great majority have disappointed.

Thank you for saying that, I thought it was just me.

They always want to reinvent the wheel, which I usually encourage but in practice, their results are usually not that great. It's perplexing since they claim to test these recipes by an unknown amount of testers. My hunch is their tester are basically house Fraus with a wide assortment of Yankee Candles near by.

by Anonymousreply 147October 21, 2019 9:58 PM

My hunch is their tester are basically house Fraus with a wide assortment of Yankee Candles near by.

You;'d be very wrong. The ATK testers are all those very experienced people you see working in the background, and they all have culinary arts degrees. If people are making their recipes and failing it's because the people cooking the food are screwing it up.

by Anonymousreply 148October 21, 2019 10:05 PM

They also send out the recipes to many, many people across the country who have signed up to test for them to see if the average home cook can replicate their recipe and have it turn out okay and I guess they tell them if anything went wrong or was too difficult or if it just tasted like shit and everything in between. Once they know it's okay they put it on the air and/or in their books.

by Anonymousreply 149October 21, 2019 10:14 PM

[quote] If people are making their recipes and failing it's because the people cooking the food are screwing it up.

Nice try, Chris Kimball. Sorry but no. Their recipes are not that complex and if the cook was bad, then they would be bad across the board not just with ATK recipes.

Just because they have people running around in the background who went to culinary school doesn't equate to high quality. I worked at a school that had culinary arts, trust me when I say there were a lot of students that had zero talent as a chef or taste for good food for that matter. There were a lot more "C" students than "A" students, that is a fact.

by Anonymousreply 150October 21, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote]They also send out the recipes to many, many people across the country who have signed up to test

TRANSLATION = Yankee Candle Fraus quality.

Lets be honest, anyone who has enough time on her hands to sign up to be a recipe tester for a TV show probably has too much time on her hands. AKA House Fraus.

by Anonymousreply 151October 21, 2019 11:02 PM

The recipes are regularly unnecessarily fussy. You might see an instruction to add 1/4 cup of lemon juice, or 1/3 cup. Or 2 and a half tablespoons of lemon juice. But you don't often see, 'add the juice of one large lemon.' They deliver a well-tested recipe. But I sometimes question the approach. It can be exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 152October 21, 2019 11:12 PM

Lemon Pie with saltine cracker crust, I want to make this. Anyone had this in NC?

Dipped Fried Chicken looks good too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153November 6, 2019 8:29 PM

Think Brian, Keith, and Dan will ever do a Holiday Special wearing Santa caps and kitchen aprons ... and that's it?

by Anonymousreply 154November 6, 2019 8:56 PM

R6 Agree, Kimball came off as an arrogant and pompous cunt.

by Anonymousreply 155November 6, 2019 8:59 PM

I dying to try the saltine lemon pie too but I just don't have the energy to go to that much trouble. I think a trip to NC would be easier.

by Anonymousreply 156November 6, 2019 10:09 PM

The pie is amazing, r153 and r156. I prefer the lime version popularized by Bill Smith, though. Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 157November 7, 2019 4:43 AM

I have a little crush on Matthew Card. I was surprised to find out he's straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 7, 2019 5:05 AM

The lemon pie with saltine crust was fantastic. Very easy to make as well.

by Anonymousreply 159November 7, 2019 9:10 AM

Card may be straight, but he's also as nellie as a summer day is long.

by Anonymousreply 160November 7, 2019 11:31 AM

Yes, R158.

My gaydar has never failed me like it did on him.

by Anonymousreply 161November 7, 2019 11:38 AM

[quote]I prefer the lime version popularized by Bill Smith, though. Perfection.

That's called a key lime pie, Rose.

That Atlantic Beach Pie/Saltine Cracker Lemon Pie is just a copy of the Southern classic lemon icebox pie. The only difference is that a lemon icebox pie is made with a graham cracker crust instead of with Saltine crackers. The graham cracker crust is much better.

Once again, Northerners stealing Southern recipes and trying to pass them off as their own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 7, 2019 4:30 PM

They made a sour orange pie a while back. It sounded good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 7, 2019 7:03 PM

Forgot to mention -- the crust isn't graham cracker or saltines -- it's ANIMAL CRACKERS.

by Anonymousreply 164November 7, 2019 7:04 PM

Sorry r164, no can do. They're all in my soup.

- S. Temple

by Anonymousreply 165November 7, 2019 7:42 PM

I've made their sour orange pie several times and I like it, but you need to add an extra tablespoon of orange juice concentrate to get the full citrus flavor. I also add more orange and lemon zest than the recipe calls for. I like flah-vor!

Most recipes are written for general tastes, which means they're on the mild/bland side. I find that I have to double the flavor in most recipes to make them suit my taste buds. Ina Garten is one of the only TV cooks who punches up the flavor in her recipes, which is why they always taste so good.

by Anonymousreply 166November 8, 2019 12:44 AM

Looks like the new season starts today on my local PBS station -- he's doing Mexican food.

by Anonymousreply 167November 10, 2019 7:53 PM

^^^ To clarify, today is a new episode of Milk Street, with Kimball.

by Anonymousreply 168November 10, 2019 7:55 PM

I have a huge crush on Josh Mamaclay from MILK STREET... But I’m afraid he’s a hipster....I’m afraid he’d show up for our date on an old timey high wheeler bicycle strumming an ukulele...

by Anonymousreply 169January 4, 2020 8:43 PM

Meh. I only watched because I loved Christopher's sense of style AND whoever that gadget guy was...the one who tested all the kitchen stuff.

by Anonymousreply 170January 4, 2020 8:50 PM

New season of ATK premieres today.

by Anonymousreply 171January 4, 2020 8:56 PM

As an Australian, I only know ATK from its cookbooks. I watched some episodes on YouTube and holy dykey blondes! Julia and Bridget seem like secret lovers that they think no one knows about.

by Anonymousreply 172May 20, 2020 11:21 PM

I really like Milk Street, the Tuesday Nights cookbook is really good. It's basically fusion cuisine and of what I have tried there has not been a dud so far.

by Anonymousreply 173May 21, 2020 1:27 AM

I listen to Milk Street Radio. Christopher Kimball is less fusty in that format - or maybe I am used to so many shit podcasters. His Nigella Lawson interview is good. When he asked her what era she would like to live in she chuckled and said I can't wait to hear what your answer is. When she said that as a woman obviously now is the best time for her to be alive he said he had no response.

by Anonymousreply 174May 22, 2020 5:55 PM

I still watch, but I can't tolerate those two broads. Unlike Kimball who could do his bit completely off the cuff those two are 100% scripted, down to their last silly retort. Every time I hear the one say "you know me, you really know me" I want to come through the TV screen and pull her fat tongue out.

by Anonymousreply 175May 22, 2020 6:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!