Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oh Calcutta on Broadway

This show was a long running hit in the 70s on Broadway. The cast was entirely nude for most of play. Does anyone know what the storyline was about and why did everyone have to be naked?

Hard to imagine none of the guys ever got a boner in front of the audience, accidentally, of course.

Props to the actors brave enough in those days to perform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2019 2:45 PM

It still amazes me that Bill "Maude" Macy was one of the original actors in it.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2019 3:22 PM

Bill Macy (the guy who was Maude's husband) was part of the original case.. go figure..

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2019 3:23 PM

Is it true that Bill Macy, the guy who played Maude's husband, was in the original cast?

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2019 3:28 PM

The cast was not “entirely nude for most of play”. There were two nude dances, and there was minor nudity in the scenes.

It was an anthology of short plays, written by a diverse group of people from Samuel Beckett to John Lennon, interspersed with songs and dances.

It was the revival that ran so long and is #6 on the longest running Broadway musicals of all time. The original production did okay, but not great.

And it is a huge stinking turd of a show.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2019 3:28 PM

It was a bawdy, musical comedy. No real solid storyline if I remember correctly, just various skits.

It was very successful. The original ran for two years and the revival ran even longer for 13 years.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2019 3:29 PM

Who is that gorgeous man at the far right of the pic?

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2019 3:32 PM

Nude women mixed in together with nude men. That is just not right.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2019 3:35 PM

The man on the far right is Mark Dempsey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2019 3:37 PM

I believe it's called "a revue". It's a strange format (unrelated skits and musical numbers) that was popular in the first part of the 20th Century.

There were Broadway revues called things like NEW FACES OF 1956, etc. It's doubtful they'll be revived very often.

These were back in the day when Broadway theater tickets weren't so incredibly expensive, and there was a wider spectrum of shows (some very lightweight).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2019 3:39 PM

The man on the far left is Leon Russom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2019 3:41 PM

It helped open the door for nudity (and for some, even simulated sex) in plays. Most of those ran on off and off off Broadway though. There were some than had various amounts of gay content or subtext, such as Let My People Come and Che!, which both ran for a while.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2019 3:43 PM

Were any of the male cast gay?

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2019 3:48 PM

R4, can you send me your address? I'd like to invite you to my next party.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2019 4:10 PM

Great fun. I saw it in SF and DC.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2019 4:21 PM

Any nice big cocks?

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2019 5:06 PM

George Welbes looked great in the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2019 5:28 PM

There's a movie version.

Alan Rachins, of LA Law and Dharma and Greg, was in the original Broadway cast (but not the movie.)

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2019 5:05 AM

I used to baby sit for a couple. Hidden in a drawer was a pictorial book of Oh Calcutta. I would jack off, and put the book back into it's secret spot in their dresser. I wonder if they ever noticed?

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2019 7:27 AM

Oh! Calcutta! at 50. An interesting retrospective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2019 2:07 PM

I heard that Bill Macy (Maude) was in the original cast! Any truth to this?

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2019 2:10 PM

Bill Macy infamously, sharted on stage. Everyone politely stepped around The poo.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2019 2:19 PM

Is the guy on the end at the far right the same guy from the guiding lights?

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2019 2:25 PM

I watched the video and it was dead boring. But at least the guys had hairy bushes.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2019 2:27 PM

Better Bill Macy than William Macy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2019 2:34 PM

God'll get you for that!

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2019 2:36 PM

Bill Macy is 97 (see article at R19) and was in the original production.

[quote]Macy: The nudity didn’t bother me. I’m from Brooklyn... I’m 97 years old. I go out into the street every day and I accost strangers. I talk to them about “Oh! Calcutta!” I don’t wait for an introduction. I just walk up.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2019 2:39 PM

Was it a firm stool, or a loose runny stool?

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2019 2:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!