Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL chefs, ever create something that people pester you to make again?

I'm not a baker, but I was playing around with a sugar cookie recipe and added Herbs de Provence. SO damn good. Nice savory element that you don't usually find in a cookie. Apparently there are others who have thought the same or similar, but I'd venture mine are still better. Anything you've whipped up that even surprised yourself?

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2019 12:30 PM

Oysters Killpatrick

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2019 3:40 AM

Roadkill a la Laura Bush.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2019 3:44 AM

Recipe or it didnt happen.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2019 3:49 AM

Good lord, R3. You could have just asked.

2 3/4 cup of flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar a few tablespoons honey splash of vanilla or bourbon 2 eggs stick of butter 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 baking powder 4 teaspoons Herbs de Provence

Cream together all ingredients and roll small balls of batter to make around 2 dozen. Bake at 375 for 8 -10 minutes. Your mileage may vary.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2019 3:59 AM

Oops, sorry about the formatting.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2019 3:59 AM

4 tsp of Herbs de Provence! Are you making cookies or roasted chicken.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2019 4:45 AM

I’m thinking there’s a big splash of famous grouse in there somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2019 10:07 AM

Friends decided not to host the annual Christmas party--too much trouble with all the cooking. So I suggested we turn it into a picnic and each guest would bring a dish.

I invented one: hot potato salad with sausage and fresh dill. Mayo holds it together. I cooked the sausage very well and kept forking it to ooch out the fat, then mixed it all together. Easy to make, but it took hours. That is: a simple recipe but a long one.

Everyone loved it. The next year, the hosts demanded an encore. Ugh, all that work. Luckily, one of the other guests, a boring loser who implanted himself in this social loop long before, suddenly started screaming at me about nothing over the course of a few weeks, so I dropped him from my life and told the hosts I couldn't come anymore.

Instead, I spend Christmas with a close friend and we have fun ordering hamburger deluxes and watching Broadway boots. A wonderful trade-off.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2019 10:14 AM

I'm intrigued by the cookies de Provence, but 4 tp does sound like a lot.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2019 10:46 AM

I made a lime sugar cookie for a summer brunch I went to. Very soft and chewy, people asked for the recipe. I added lime zest on top for decoration and the pot heads in the group were all disappointed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2019 11:14 AM

My crab cakes (for real, I'm not saying it in a dirty STD way)

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2019 11:23 AM

My eggplant parmesean

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2019 11:28 AM

Pasta e fagioli. I based the recipe off what they used to sell at the butcher down the street from where I grew up.

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2019 11:30 AM

Pasta e fagioli? How far do you live from the Jersey turnpike.

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2019 11:41 AM

4 tsp?! OP, I’m a baker and that doesn’t sound very good. Also you probably don’t need that bicarbonate - you’re not making pancakes.

People usually use herbs like rosemary or basil in shortbread recipes. You’ve sort of stumbled into that flavour profile but it would be more impressive in a proper shortbread dough. You wouldn’t need any raising agents and would use less than 1/3 of that sugar.

You don’t need honey when you’re already using all that sugar which is too much even for a cookie. Your basically using other ingredients to kill the herbaceous flavour.

I wouldn’t enter a Betty Crocker bake off just yet.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2019 11:49 AM

Lol, gotcha R15. As I've said, I'm no baker. The 4 tsps could be off. I went by memory for the recipe. I have a big container and I just shook what I thought looked good in. It's likely less than 4 tsps. Stil, the cookies turned out great. I've made them at least 4 times in the last two months, and wherever I take them, they fly. Still curious to hear of other's successes.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2019 3:39 PM

I have nothing to add yet - experimenting with fish pastes.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2019 7:12 PM

I know I am always asked to an A-List gay's christmas party because of my roasted pear and amaretto trifle. Also, my lemon bars are always a big hit. For savoury, I make a decent spanikopita. I think the secret is a lot of eggs - that way the spinach isn't so squeaky.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2019 7:19 PM

I also add raisins to my famous taco surprise. Everyone says it's the best.

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2019 7:21 PM

I thought the Funion Fondant was controversial- until I tried Dorito Cream Cheese on a pumpkin seed muffin.

- recipes for people who hate joy

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2019 8:15 PM

Amaretto Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2019 8:16 PM

My garlic bread, jalapeno popper dip, mac and cheese and kahlua flan are what i am always asked to bring to potlucks.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2019 8:20 PM

My lasagne brings all the boys to the yard.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2019 8:21 PM

Lemon chicken salad with toasted pecans and red grapes.

Using only Hellman's or Best Foods mayo, the latter for those of you west of the Rocky Mountains.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2019 8:24 PM

R18 - roasted pear and amaretto trifle instantly gets my attention! Sounds amazing! Any chance of the recipe?

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2019 8:28 PM

R24 sounds great!

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2019 8:30 PM

Cannelloni stuffed with braised lamb.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2019 8:31 PM

R24 - yep! Could we have the Lenin chicken salad recipe too please? And R27's lamb cannelloni? All sound sooooo good!

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2019 8:32 PM

Not my creation but Ina's corn pudding. It seems simple but every time I've served it there is another convert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2019 8:42 PM

I'll probably get reemed by the Italian food purists, but I made a Mexi-fied version of arancini balls, stuffed with carnitas pork, a little bit of salsa, and cotija cheese. Served with red salsa. I made them for a gay camping trip potluck -- they were very good and went fast!

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2019 8:49 PM

Lol! My typo at R28! Meant lemon chicken salad obvs - but who knows? Maybe there's an old Soviet era dish of Lenin chicken salad? It's the salad of the proletariat - and the workers all love it!

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2019 10:40 PM

Lenin chicken salad is mixed with borscht and rusted Lada parts. In Soviet Russia you don't eat Lenin chicken salad, chicken salad eats you!

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2019 10:44 PM

Frau alert at R22. And imagine the farts at her potlucks.

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2019 10:59 PM

I take tuna fish, put it through a meat grinder, add clam juice and peanut butter.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2019 12:23 AM

Yes OP, I'm encouraged to make reservations.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2019 12:43 AM

I used to bake more often - I told myself if I wanted something sweet I had to bake it myself. And since baking can be pretty laborious it really cut my sugar intake. Anyhow, my Chocolate chip cookies with sea salt and lemon pound cake get rave reviews.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2019 1:21 AM

Lenin Chicken Salad w/ "Red Square" Grapes and Toasted Pecans

For the chicken: take six large split chicken breasts (with bone and skin: about six pounds) and cover with half water and half chicken broth in a large pot. Add a teaspoonful of dried mixed herbs, a bay leaf, and the leafy tops cut off a bunch of celery. Bring the pot to a simmer and leave it on the heat, covered, for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit in the pot for another 20 minutes. Drain into a colander and let the chicken breasts cool for 20-30 minutes. Remove skin, bones, fat, connective tissue, celery, spices and bay leaf and discard. Rinse chicken meat under cold water, pat pieces dry and refrigerate, covered, for an hour or two until it's chilled. When it's cold, remove the chicken meat from the fridge and chop it into roughly 3/4" cubes. Don't obsess about the cube size because they won't all be the same anyway, but if the cubes are too big it's not as easy to eat and if they're too small the salad can get mushy. You should have about five to six cups of firm but not tough chopped chicken breast meat. Put the chopped chicken in a non-reactive bowl or plastic container, add the juice of two or three Lenins - I mean, lemons; about 2/3 to 3/4 of a cup - stir and cover in the fridge for another hour or two, stirring occasionally so that all the pieces are marinated in the lemon juice.

For the dressing: in a large bowl, mix 1 to 1&1/4 cups Hellmans (or Best Foods for those comrades east of the Urals and able to circumvent the condiments sanctions) mayonnaise with a teaspoon of Dijon mustard and a half teaspoonful each of celery salt and white pepper. Add about 1/2 to 3/4s of a cup of finely chopped celery (2 or 3 stalks trimmed - depends on how much you like celery) and mix together.

For the pecans: preheat oven to 350, mist a cookie sheet or shallow roasting pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper, spread about a cup of pecan meats on the pan and bake for 5 minutes. Keep an eye on the pecans - they can burn quickly. If you like, shake or grind some kosher salt over them while warm and let them cool.

To make the salad: drain the chicken that's been marinating in the lemon juice and add it to the bowl of dressing and mix in about 3/4s of a cup of halved red grapes. Store, covered, in the fridge for at least an hour or two or as long as overnight to let the flavors blend. (If storing overnight, through, add the grapes an hour or so before serving.)

To serve the salad: line the bottom of a chilled serving dish or platter with Boston or butter lettuce leaves with the edges out, mound the chicken salad on the lettuce and garnish with the toasted pecans. Serve with golden chutney or pickled watermelon rind, warm or halved and toasted brioche rolls and iced tea on a hot day and you'll get raves. Serves 10 to 12 people. Halve (or double) the recipe depending on how much you need.

It's my grandmother's recipe and as such, it's a framework, not a precise recipe because that's how she cooked. If you have a little more chopped chicken or you think the mixed salad is too "wet" or the dressing is too thin, add a little more mayo or a tablespoon or two of cream - it'll react with the lemon juice and thicken the dressing. If you're watching your salt intake, use low-sodium chicken broth, go easy on the celery salt and don't salt the toasted pecans. If you're not watching your salt intake and want a bit more crunch, you can also garnish the salad with crisply cooked chopped or crumbled bacon in place of or in addition to the pecans. Quite apart from the Duke's vs. Hellmans vs. salad dressing controversy, the balance of flavors just seems "right" to me using Hellman's because that's the way it's always been made since I was a kid. YMMV.

And if you took a plate to the mausoleum at the Kremlin, R31, and offered Vladimir Ilyich some, I'm willing to bet Lenin would sit up in that glass box and try a bite, then clean his plate and ask for more. He's gotta be hungry lying there for 95 years without a thing to eat...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2019 1:33 AM

For some reason people rave about my potato salad. It's not overloaded with mayo, and it's not tangy, mustard or relished out. It's seasoned well and you can actually taste the potato.

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2019 5:29 AM

[Quote] My lasagne brings all the boys to the yard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2019 6:07 AM

R20 = Guy Fieri

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2019 12:23 PM

I rarely bake these days, but every Fall I used to make pumpkin cookies that people loved. This was 10 or 12 years ago before pumpkin spice was inescapable. I got the recipe off the internet and sadly I never wrote it down and of course the website doesn't exist anymore. I tried many other recipes but never found one quite as good.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2019 12:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!