Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fosse/Verdon Part Trois

Only two episodes left of this profoundly disappointing miniseries. At least Michelle has been consistently terrific.

by Anonymousreply 413November 13, 2019 6:58 PM

I think the number of posts on DL ultimately describes the number of viewers for this show.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2019 11:03 PM

I really have no idea what I was expecting from Fosse/Verdon, but what we got really wasn't it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2019 11:06 PM

Profoundly disappointing? It's fucking brilliant. I loved Feud but this is even better.

Pearls before cunts

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2019 11:07 PM

Critics are loving it.

So fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2019 11:07 PM

R3, not many would agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2019 11:30 PM

R4, not true. It’s gotten mostly mixed to negative reviews.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2019 12:06 AM

Has 83% on Rotten Tomatoes. I love it. Margaret Qualley is gonna be a star. A star, I SAY!

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2019 12:33 AM

Nobody named Margaret can become a star these days.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2019 1:17 AM

Not everyone in the ensemble of the original company of Chicago were young. There were some older men in that ensemble. How could they get that so wrong? And what’s with the Asian-American guy and the guy with the pony tail? Uh uh

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2019 2:08 AM

It isn't very good. The last few episodes have been a slog to get through.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2019 2:10 AM

I'm getting revenge on my two deceased narcissistic asshole parents.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2019 2:20 AM

No surprise that the episode with the most musical sequences is the Chicago episode.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2019 2:39 AM

That girl playing Nicole is genuinely creepy looking.

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2019 2:45 AM

A slight mention of Michael Bennett despite ACL opened a few weeks earlier off Broadway and everyone knew what a hit it was. That drama would have been better than what they showed.

They made it look like Nowadays became a duet when it really was a solo for Verdon

Gee, Candy Brown was his pusher. How lovely.

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2019 2:52 AM

The dancer is hispanic, not black, R14.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2019 3:01 AM

So it was graciella Danielle. Double lovely.

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2019 3:12 AM

Not GEELTY!

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2019 3:14 AM

Candy brown is named in the credits.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2019 3:17 AM

From what I heard fosse wanted a duet of nowadays and Chita said it’s Gwen’s song and walked out.

So they made it a solo and danced it as a duet.

And does someone release the Lin Manuel being a prick tapes soon?

I’ve heard Nicole was dumb, I didn’t know she was vengeful

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2019 3:22 AM

Another chore to get through. And no "Roxie" number?

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2019 3:23 AM

looooooooooove sam, so talented

but the bitch sux in ev thing she do.....pitiful pearlina.

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2019 3:24 AM

They only danced it as a duet after Looping the Loop was dumped out of town. But arguing facts about this mess is like trying to convince a believer that pro wrestling is fake.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2019 3:24 AM

Exacty 22 and HOORAY at last a mention of Herb Gardner

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2019 3:36 AM

Whoever thought Joan Simon should wear a fucking bow in her hair even in a flashback shod be punched repeatedly in the mouth.

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2019 3:37 AM

I just don't get what the point of telling this story is. Michelle is great. She breaks my heart.

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2019 3:46 AM

I really love this show. Then actors are good and Michelle is fucking brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2019 3:51 AM

Fosse has a sensitivity chip missing.

by Anonymousreply 27May 22, 2019 3:51 AM

They didn't adopt the baby?

by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2019 4:04 AM

We should have been shown Liza in Chicago instead of hearing about it

by Anonymousreply 29May 22, 2019 4:06 AM

The trailer for the finale doesn’t look promising but at least it looks like we’ll see the actor who plays Scheider as the fictionalized Fosse.

by Anonymousreply 30May 22, 2019 4:14 AM

They tried to do too much in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 31May 22, 2019 4:14 AM

Bob loved rubbing Liza in Gwen's face in the telephone scene.

by Anonymousreply 32May 22, 2019 4:21 AM

Am I the father? Tell me the truth.

by Anonymousreply 33May 22, 2019 4:24 AM

----

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 22, 2019 4:28 AM

Clive Barnes, the theater critic of the NY Times at that time, really was an idiot. But he had all the power. I wonder what John Simon wrote about Verdon in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 35May 22, 2019 4:36 AM

/////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 22, 2019 4:37 AM

The bow in Joan Simon's hair reminds me of that Joan Rivers joke about the Jewish pregnancy - give me drugs and wake me up when the hairdresser arrives.

by Anonymousreply 37May 22, 2019 4:42 AM

My water broke and my dog drowned!

by Anonymousreply 38May 22, 2019 4:51 AM

Who the bleep did I marry?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 22, 2019 5:57 AM

Is that Meredith Talusan playing Nicole Fosse?

by Anonymousreply 40May 22, 2019 6:07 AM

They had Gwen practically reading Bob the riot act when she said that she's the one who gave Bob his first directing gig in "Redhead", that she could have nixed him choreographing "Damn Yankees" and that she was used by him with no credit for lots of help when he directed the movies of "Sweet Charity" and "Cabaret". I couldn't tell what they were talking about in hushed tones while attending Nicole's ballet recital. Gwen didn't like Ron (Jerry Lanning character) complimenting her that her next stop is some big ballet company; she didn't want to give her false expectations. I still like Gwen -- I think she went through some real crap having to deal with Fosse on a personal and professional level. But the thing is for almost the entire time of their time together, she was the bigger name -- until the year he won Oscar, Emmy and Tony awards, did he start to catch up and really become a national name. Other choreographers would have been so happy to choreograph and direct Gwen Verdon in a show during her prime. I bet even Jerome Robbins would have treated her as the star with some respect. Michael Kidd's dances made her a star in "Can-Can" and you also had Gower Champion and Onna White directing musicals back then too.

by Anonymousreply 41May 22, 2019 6:09 AM

I'm not sure what we are suppose to take away from all this. Fosse was a very good director/choreographer. Okay but that means nothing if you are a loathsome human being. I can see nothing in the depictions of any of his relationships that shows why anyone would want to be around him let alone tolerate his bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 42May 22, 2019 11:38 AM

Fosse must have really known how to use those jazz hands, R42.

by Anonymousreply 43May 22, 2019 11:42 AM

Are we suppose to believe that Gwen thought that Liza could just fill in without anyone noticing .

by Anonymousreply 44May 22, 2019 11:44 AM

Liza needs to comment on this episode.

by Anonymousreply 45May 22, 2019 2:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 22, 2019 3:23 PM

What a load of horseshit this episode was. Sorry, but Bob Fosse was a fucking genius, on film and onstage, and I'm not about to let the #MeToo movement and some spoiled failure say differently.

by Anonymousreply 47May 22, 2019 6:07 PM

Liza sounded like a fabulous Roxie.

by Anonymousreply 48May 22, 2019 6:15 PM

Sam whatever his name is playing Fosse was so funny dancing. I kept rewatching.

by Anonymousreply 49May 22, 2019 7:59 PM

The original ensemble cast of Chicago was nowhere near as young and diverse as the one seen on last night’s episode. Where were the men over thirty? There were several in the original cast. And it was all-white except for Candy Brown. And not one of the men had a fucking ponytail. Who the fuck cast this?

by Anonymousreply 50May 22, 2019 8:10 PM

I agree r47. They are writing this through a #metoo lens. I don't find the characterization of Fosse is layered or interesting. It has a specific agenda to make us loathe Fosse. I find it very one-dimensional, the portrayal and writing.

They also wasted an opportunity by not letting us see Gwen/Michelle do some of the Roxie number. I think that would have been a key attraction for Gwen to play the role. I can totally see her winning over the audience with that number.

by Anonymousreply 51May 22, 2019 11:48 PM

Gwen was great doing "Roxie", a real star turn in the terrific original production.

by Anonymousreply 52May 22, 2019 11:56 PM

There's audio of Gwen doing opening night which exists, and she's got the audience in the palm of her hands.

by Anonymousreply 53May 22, 2019 11:57 PM

I love that line in the show-“First we were fooling around. Then we were screwing around-which is fooling around without dinner.”

by Anonymousreply 54May 23, 2019 12:26 AM

I don't care about your complaints. Michelle Williams is doing next-level work and that's more than enough. She's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 55May 23, 2019 12:40 AM

R47, I think that’s what they were saying in this week’s episode. Chicago was a ground-breaking musical - it just took audiences 20 years to figure that out. His genius speaks for itself. It’s a shame he didn’t live long enough to see the success of the revival. He alone understood how to present the material when everyone else around him - and no slouches either - thought otherwise.

Twenty years later A Chorus Line is unbearably dated. Chicago continues on. It’s his crowning achievement.

It sounds like you want all that writ large to the exclusion of all other participants. Someone already did that. It’s called All That Jazz.

by Anonymousreply 56May 23, 2019 12:50 AM

Michelle is the only good thing in it. Great acting. If she wasn't in it, YIKES.

by Anonymousreply 57May 23, 2019 12:50 AM

I like the bits with Norbert as Paddy Chayefsky. I wish they would’ve shown more of him and Neil Simon writing Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 58May 23, 2019 12:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 23, 2019 12:56 AM

Butz just seems to be phoning it in using a Jason Alexander voice.

by Anonymousreply 60May 23, 2019 1:09 AM

I was a little confused by the Razzle Dazzle scene. Everyone knows that was Jerry Orbach's number in the original Broadway production, but in last night's episode, Gwen was doing it, and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a fantasy scene or if they actually wanted us to believe that Gwen actually performed it.

by Anonymousreply 61May 23, 2019 1:32 AM

I think it was symbolic narrative, r61 (notice she was even wearing a man’s tux). Sort of like “Bob” did Lenny Bruce- style to compliment lament last week’s plot line.

by Anonymousreply 62May 23, 2019 1:50 AM

I swear I typed complement, not compliment lament!!

by Anonymousreply 63May 23, 2019 1:51 AM

The guy playing Jerry Orbach looked absolutely nothing like him. And didn’t sound like him.

by Anonymousreply 64May 23, 2019 1:57 AM

Damn that confetti canon!

by Anonymousreply 65May 23, 2019 2:56 AM

Yea it would have been a shame to lose that beautiful singing voice and range Gwen had.

by Anonymousreply 66May 23, 2019 3:10 AM

I thought that confetti thing was a lie to hide the reality that Verdon had potentially cancerous pollyps in her throat.

by Anonymousreply 67May 23, 2019 4:08 AM

Sam pulled a Rhett Butler with the who's the real daddy comment.

by Anonymousreply 68May 23, 2019 4:24 AM

I know Herb Gardner wrote "Roxy" dialogue

by Anonymousreply 69May 23, 2019 4:29 AM

I though last night's episode was a bit of a mess. Joyless and dour. Like Bob and Gwen got no artistic satisfaction from Chicago, which I don't buy for a second. Which is why it would have helped to put the Roxie number somewhere in there. It's a scene tailor made for Gwen and a triumph for her.

And after John Rubenstein's comments about Pippin, I wonder how much of what happened last night was true.

And Ann Reinking reduced to "You shouldn't drink".

by Anonymousreply 70May 23, 2019 4:40 AM

I seem to remember Reinking as being a more voluptuous figure than the stick thin actress playing her in this series.

by Anonymousreply 71May 23, 2019 4:43 AM

compare the Reinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 23, 2019 4:57 AM

and again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 23, 2019 7:49 AM

Ann Reinking's two poses above are hilariously awkward.

by Anonymousreply 74May 23, 2019 3:17 PM

Had a nightmare last night I was being chased by the creepy actress playing Nicole #3.

by Anonymousreply 75May 23, 2019 4:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 23, 2019 4:11 PM

All of that album's tracks are on-line. Gwen's in really good voice and the numbers really suit her voice. This was before the smoking started to affect her voice.

by Anonymousreply 77May 23, 2019 4:34 PM

Why would Nicole Fosse approve that casting of herself?

by Anonymousreply 78May 23, 2019 4:56 PM

I'm really hating the one note portrayal of Fosse. I get it - Fosse was a cheating, pill head, but he was loved by all his dancers and was known for being quite kind most of the time. He had his issues, but they're making him out to be a malicious asshole with no redeeming features whatsoever. Williams is excellent, though, and it's definitely her show. I'm surprised a great actor like Rockwell would take a role this dull and lacking nuance.

by Anonymousreply 79May 23, 2019 6:28 PM

It is a slog to get through. It’s tiresome as a series but might have been a terrific two hour movie. I think Williams caught that Broadway Baby - always sunny tone of Verdons.

by Anonymousreply 80May 23, 2019 6:50 PM

Finale trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 23, 2019 10:26 PM

"is that strange, having Annie replace you?"

"It's pretty familiar."

by Anonymousreply 82May 23, 2019 10:45 PM

by Anonymousreply 83May 25, 2019 6:41 AM

The finale is this week? Christ, that was fast. Is it a longer episode than usual?

by Anonymousreply 84May 25, 2019 9:55 PM

It could be. A few of the others have been.

by Anonymousreply 85May 25, 2019 10:42 PM

They better cover the moment when she was #MeToo'd by Wilford Brimley.

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2019 10:05 PM

One bit of artistic license in the finale, according to my friend on the crew, is that Fosse will collapse in front of the theater in DC, not in front of the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2019 10:44 PM

====

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 27, 2019 1:08 AM

I loved the Fosse biography the series is based on, and I’m also loving the series. I’m glad there’s a greater emphasis on Gwen on the series than there was in the book. Michelle Williams is doing a great job.

by Anonymousreply 89May 27, 2019 1:16 AM

Very insightful interview with Ann Reinking-she’s seen two episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 28, 2019 5:16 PM

I'm loving it, perhaps because I'm not a strident theater queen who bristles at the thought of an Asian man in the original chorus of "Chicago."

by Anonymousreply 91May 28, 2019 5:25 PM

That Ann Reinking article just highlights all the issues with this show. It's possibly to make Fosse a flawed man without turning him into a one dimensional monster. It sounds like Fosse and Verdon were flawed and complicated, but you don't remain friends with someone you hate. They're turning Fosse into Mama Rose and Verdon into Gypsy and making it a story about Verdon having what Fosse always wanted. Maybe there's some truth to that, but in the long run, doesn't Fosse have more of a name value than Verdon? Didn't he kinda get what he wanted?

It'd be nice to see a little bit of Fosse's charm here and there as well as some of his talent. We've seen a few brief clips here and there, but unless you're already familiar with Fosse's work, you're not going to stand up and go "wow! I see why everyone wanted to work with him."

by Anonymousreply 92May 28, 2019 5:55 PM

After "Chicago" on Broadway in 1975, Fosse never again had a hit musical with a regular book show. "Dancin' " was a hit revue with many of his past dances, and Gwen was back as his (usually uncredited assistant), but "Big Deal" was a big flop with only "Beat Me Daddy" a standout as a number. Otherwise, "Sweet Charity' was a revival when he died, and "Fosse" another musical revue, was a tribute after he died. Back again was Gwen as consultant/keeper of the flame. But it wasn't like he was regularly putting up shows after "Chicago". "All That Jazz" and "Star 80", the latter a flop also occupied his time.

I find I play Gwen's OCR's more than I think as much about Bob Fosse though. She did some great shows, and while it's rare to see mountings of "New Girl in Town" and "Redhead", Gwen did set the mark really high in creating Lola, Charity and Roxie for all others to follow.

by Anonymousreply 93May 28, 2019 6:03 PM

"Dancin' " was a hit revue with many of his past dances, ...

You mean "Fosse".

by Anonymousreply 94May 28, 2019 6:11 PM

^ Meaning Dancin' numbers weren't "many of his past dances,".

by Anonymousreply 95May 28, 2019 6:13 PM

"Besides, when he had the heart attack she was in a back brace, having fractured her vertebrae during a “gravity-defying” jitterbug in the Broadway show “Over Here!”"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 28, 2019 6:19 PM

R96, Wow! No wonder she got hurt, doing that night after night.

Ann Reinking was what my dear mother used to call “built like a brick shithouse.” Thick waist. Big hips and thighs. Muscular in a feminine way, very fit. More full-figured all over, like Sophia Loren or Marilyn Monroe, than a ballerina with bolt-on tits. No extra weight, just healthy looking. Farm fed, I guess you could say.

You can see it when she plays Daddy Warbucks’ secretary Grace in Annie. Not an ounce of fat out of place, but plenty in the right places.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 28, 2019 7:20 PM

Ann is a dancer who couldn't sing!

by Anonymousreply 98May 28, 2019 7:34 PM

Fuck off, R91. There’s nothing wrong about some of us thinking it might have been a good thing if casting got it right on Fosse/Verdon across the board.

by Anonymousreply 99May 28, 2019 7:41 PM

I’m looking forward to the day that Lin Manuel Miranda gets a biopic. Then maybe Someone will turn him into a villain and he will know what it feels like. The more I know about him, the more I believe that deep down, LMM is a sinister man.

by Anonymousreply 100May 28, 2019 7:43 PM

And speaking of turns, Dan Correia’s quadruple pirouette at r96 was flawless. Such control.

by Anonymousreply 101May 28, 2019 7:44 PM

R93, Chicago was not that big a hit at the time. People forget his show was so much darker, uglier and confusing than the revival. Arlene Croce correctly noted that Fosse kept trying to force an allegory between Chicago and Nazi Berlin, where none existed. For Fosse, he thought Roxie was Arturo Ui and pushed it throughout the show. After Chicago, he started doing shows with no book like Dancin or even Big Deal. Sondheim said that Fosse saw the final fifteen minutes of Follies and made a career of it.

Reinking broke her back on the backflip before Correia's triple turn, although her original dance partner, John Mineo did not do that. She also got dropped on her head on the other lift where she flips backwards but is in the arms of her partner.

by Anonymousreply 102May 28, 2019 7:58 PM

I wonder who got Fosse to lay off the heels, garter belt and stockings on the male ensemble members during previews.

by Anonymousreply 103May 28, 2019 8:52 PM

This is interesting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 28, 2019 9:11 PM

R4 good reviews mean nothing these days when critics are afraid to be honest/open, especially when it pertains to issues of female empowerment and other social causes. A movie or show that features any of that is automatically given good reviews. This series has purposely made Fosse look bad, charmless, and incompetent without the assistance of Verdon, the woman behind the man! All that is a lie! But the critics eat it up because it sells the female empowerment angle.

by Anonymousreply 105May 28, 2019 9:40 PM

Somebody needs to make Wagner/Wood to focus on a REAL villain.

by Anonymousreply 106May 28, 2019 10:01 PM

That would be a great miniseries r106.

by Anonymousreply 107May 29, 2019 1:14 AM

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 108May 29, 2019 1:16 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 29, 2019 1:49 AM

These Nicole scenes are torturous.

by Anonymousreply 110May 29, 2019 2:27 AM

Tom Selleck was relatively unknown in 1979/1980.

by Anonymousreply 111May 29, 2019 2:33 AM

Where's Jess?

by Anonymousreply 112May 29, 2019 2:37 AM

Is that who I think it is playing Roy Schieder?

by Anonymousreply 113May 29, 2019 2:46 AM

Too much of the black hole that is Nicole. The actress is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 114May 29, 2019 2:46 AM

This Nicole is so boring and pointless that I didn't even care if she went over the ledge.

by Anonymousreply 115May 29, 2019 2:51 AM

LMM is such a flaming narcissist. He really could t just stay behind the scenes, could he?

by Anonymousreply 116May 29, 2019 2:52 AM

The girl playing Nicole would be OK as a hooker on The Deuce but is disastrously miscast in this.

by Anonymousreply 117May 29, 2019 2:54 AM

I never knew Debbie Allen was a latina.

by Anonymousreply 118May 29, 2019 3:09 AM

LOL @ Nicole Fosse "had a career in film and on Broadway" but no credits mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 119May 29, 2019 3:13 AM

I’m glad they illuminated Gwen Verdon. I think that needed to happen. But I don’t think that Gwen’s reputation needed to be illuminated at the expense of Bob Fosse’s reputation. I simply don’t believe he was this one dimensional. That isn’t how his dancers talk about him.

by Anonymousreply 120May 29, 2019 3:19 AM

Nicole’s epilogue has four lines. Gwen’s has two.

by Anonymousreply 121May 29, 2019 3:21 AM

I agree r120. It wasn't a very well written show in my opinion. The article above with Ann Reinking gave more nuances to him. Of course, she would have more of a bias since she was his ex girlfriend but both she and John Rubinstein both explained why Fosse was someone people wanted to work with, something this show failed to do.

by Anonymousreply 122May 29, 2019 3:22 AM

Death scene was excellent - the looks on both’s faces were very effective. And thankfully it wasn’t just a cliché life flashing before our eyes - it was THEIR lives.

by Anonymousreply 123May 29, 2019 3:22 AM

Debbie Allen never had droopy titties and would NEVER slouch like that. Jesus Christ, so much of the casting on this thing has been THE WORST.

by Anonymousreply 124May 29, 2019 3:27 AM

I also don’t believe that Debbie Allen would have treated Bob Fosse like she did in this program. She knew who she was working with. Why does this series insist on undermining Fosse at every opportunity? He certainly was no angel, but he wasn’t this either.

by Anonymousreply 125May 29, 2019 3:49 AM

Wasn’t Donna Mckechnie the Charity when Fosse died? Lin did look just like Roy Scheider. Too bad he took a part away from someone who could have used the work and paycheck. I found it hard to get teary eyed at the end over his death. He was portrayed as a selfish prick. Nicole was never that pretty as portrayed by the last actress. I give the series a c+. Many fabrications, sams awful wig and some bad casting. Williams was outstanding however.

by Anonymousreply 126May 29, 2019 4:08 AM

It was a ho-hum series. Michelle Williams was the best part.

The Debbie Allen scene was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 127May 29, 2019 4:12 AM

In the article R90 posts, Ann Reinking mentions that Fosse had epilepsy. Did anyone notice that? Has this ever been mentioned anyplace before? First time I've ever heard it.

by Anonymousreply 128May 29, 2019 4:35 AM

llll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129May 29, 2019 4:37 AM

How much of this series was about Gwen Verdon and Bob Fosse and how much was actually about Nichole needing attention?

by Anonymousreply 130May 29, 2019 4:40 AM

////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131May 29, 2019 4:41 AM

The Fosse epilepsy is in the Sam Wasson book.

by Anonymousreply 132May 29, 2019 5:26 AM

Such a weird series. They could have approached these two creative figures from a different angle; but the showrunners clearly just wanted to re-make "All That Jazz" over eight hours.

by Anonymousreply 133May 29, 2019 5:53 AM

[quote] Debbie Allen never had droopy titties

My boobies were perky puppies!

by Anonymousreply 134May 29, 2019 5:54 AM

The titles at the end were so underwhelming. Almost more space was given to what happened to Nicole. How about Gwen's place in theater history? They could have said something like "Gwen Verdon winner of 4 Tony Awards is considered to be the biggest dance star in Broadway history. Her impact on having performers train to be triple threats, as well as her collaborations, credited and uncredited with Bob Fosse, make her one of the Broadway musical's legends".

That would have been more fitting, rather than just saying she died in her sleep 2 months after moving in with Nicole in Vermont. What's with these people?! Plus, having Lin-Manuel Miranda giving himself a role that has him as Roy Scheider being applauded by the background people, just plays to his narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 135May 29, 2019 7:08 AM

Lin-Marie said the final episode coda is poignant and beautiful. The quiet, pastoral scene of Nicole Fosse’s family getting into a car, and driving away is something her parents could never get out of the life. They could never get out of that cycle of needing that applause and needing that validation, and Nicole did it — she got out and she raised a family.

by Anonymousreply 136May 29, 2019 7:17 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but to anyone who reads these thread who might actually know:

Was Nicole truly talent-less? or did consciously decide not to pursue a career in show business for whatever reason?

by Anonymousreply 137May 29, 2019 8:06 AM

This show was beyond inept. It’s like someone gave a bunch of kids in the Drama Club some money and said go put on a show.

by Anonymousreply 138May 29, 2019 10:07 AM

[quote]They could have said something like "Gwen Verdon winner of 4 Tony Awards is considered to be the biggest dance star in Broadway history. Her impact on having performers train to be triple threats, as well as her collaborations, credited and uncredited with Bob Fosse, make her one of the Broadway musical's legends".

Wow. That's even clumsier and more poorly written than some of what was in the show. Keep your day job, r135.

by Anonymousreply 139May 29, 2019 10:22 AM

[quote]Debbie Allen never had droopy titties

Oh, HELL yes, she did!

by Anonymousreply 140May 29, 2019 10:25 AM

[quote]Nicole was never that pretty as portrayed by the last actress.

Actually, that was one of the better bits of casting. She looked very much like the real Nicole did back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 29, 2019 10:28 AM

The Nicole bashing is bordering on psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 142May 29, 2019 10:29 AM

Nicole did have some talent going by the film of A Chorus Line but I guess her addiction problem was what prevented her from getting any further.

by Anonymousreply 143May 29, 2019 11:45 AM

Nicole on Miami Vice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 29, 2019 12:22 PM

R132 Whether Fosse had epilepsy or not, dramatically you don't suddenly whip out that fact in the climactic moment of the last five minutes of an 8 part series. My genuine interest in the show quickly devolved into disappointment into rage at how deeply terrible it was. I shoulda left by episode two or three; it seems hate watching isn't all it's cracked up to be.

All criticism excepted from Michelle Williams of course who was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 145May 29, 2019 12:41 PM

You're right of course. They could have told us about it in the earlier scenes where he was otherwise pill-popping or when seen by a doctor. e.g. someone who suffers from epilepsy shouldn't be doing this. I don't think it's mentioned in All That Jazz but then I understand Fosse didn't want it publically known.

by Anonymousreply 146May 29, 2019 12:47 PM

For the last episode the title was changed to Fosse/Verdon/Nicole

by Anonymousreply 147May 29, 2019 12:51 PM

Nicole Fosse on Her Father, Her Mother, and Herself

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 29, 2019 12:54 PM

The death scene showed a montage of scenes withFosse smiling I didn’t remember that while watching the series. He was portrayed as grim.

by Anonymousreply 149May 29, 2019 12:59 PM

Lin-Manuel on his cameo as Roy Scheider: "My fans know me as a song and dance man and had been waiting for me to turn up in a part in the show. Director Tommy Kail was on board saying you don't look unlike Roy Scheider. What amazed me when I saw the cut was that I wasn't even sure it was me because the work of the make-up and the costume departments were so good. But I can assure you it was, because I had to get in top shape for really tight outfit for Bye, Bye Love." God, the ego.

by Anonymousreply 150May 29, 2019 1:04 PM

“My fans”

by Anonymousreply 151May 29, 2019 1:05 PM

I so wanted to like this more than I did. I was committed to watching the whole thing, but week after week it felt more like an assignment than a pleasurable viewing experience. It was surprisingly colorless and lacked electricity for something that was supposed to honor two artists who had both. Michelle Williams was truly the saving grace and the only one to walk away from this better off for having participated. I'm glad it's over.

by Anonymousreply 152May 29, 2019 1:31 PM

[quote]Whether Fosse had epilepsy or not, dramatically you don't suddenly whip out that fact in the climactic moment of the last five minutes of an 8 part series

They mentioned it in a previous scene

by Anonymousreply 153May 29, 2019 1:41 PM

Sounds like Nicole wanted her own Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 154May 29, 2019 1:55 PM

Cheri Oteri would have been an interesting Gwen Verdon.

by Anonymousreply 155May 29, 2019 2:01 PM

It really went downhill. Episodes 1 and 2 were good. The show was best when they showed Bob and Gwen collaborating and feeding off of each other. There should have been more of that.

by Anonymousreply 156May 29, 2019 2:24 PM

R153 Maybe you're right, but I don't remember seeing/hearing it previously on the series.

by Anonymousreply 157May 29, 2019 2:36 PM

“I'm glad it's over.“

What a bizarre reaction to a TV show.

by Anonymousreply 158May 29, 2019 3:31 PM

Didn’t Bob tell Paddy in the opening scene that he wanted “someone sexy” after Dreyfuss bailed because he was nervous about the dancing? And they ended up with Lin-Manuel Miranda as Roy Scheider? Who’s as sexy as a slug?

And where was Margaret Qualley as Ann/Katie in the All That Jazz/“Bye Bye Love” sequence? There would have been a substantial dramatic moment of her hugging fake Bob and then the real Bob.

by Anonymousreply 159May 29, 2019 3:39 PM

Lin-Manuel's ego knows no bounds.

by Anonymousreply 160May 29, 2019 3:42 PM

[quote] How about Gwen's place in theater history? They could have said something like "Gwen Verdon winner of 4 Tony Awards is considered to be the biggest dance star in Broadway history. Her impact on having performers train to be triple threats, as well as her collaborations, credited and uncredited with Bob Fosse, make her one of the Broadway musical's legends".

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 161May 29, 2019 3:43 PM

Martin!

Ethel!

by Anonymousreply 162May 29, 2019 4:25 PM

Schwartz!

Hotchkiss!

by Anonymousreply 163May 29, 2019 4:27 PM

This whole series was so underwhelming. I hate to think that people will think of Fosse and Verdon as this dour in the future. As others have said, Michelle Williams was the only saving grace and deserves an Emmy, not just for her wonderful performance, but for supporting the entire show on her shoulders. It almost seemed like Williams told someone "I want to play Gwen Verdon", she proved she could do it, they cast all the people to play the people in Gwen's life, and just had them improvise everything for a few months. The writing was that awful.

by Anonymousreply 164May 29, 2019 6:25 PM

It's been a stupid series. Fosse was played as all darkness and no charm, and you had no sense of why he was considered a genius. Martin Short-as-Nicole did not add much either--she had no personality (other than we knew she felt buffeted between her self-absorbed parents and shunted aside, and was curious about drugs and alcohol because they used it so much). It was basically a series that had a void at its center.

The most interesting part of the whole series was Williams as Verdon--she really disappeared into the part, though she had so little interesting to do. All the parts were underwritten, including hers.

by Anonymousreply 165May 29, 2019 6:29 PM

RICHARDSON/STREISAND/SPIELBERG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 29, 2019 6:46 PM

[quote]Wasn't Donna Mckechnie the Charity when Fosse died?

Yes, she's credited as the opening night Charity on IBDB. Kiss-ass Lin probably felt his fans would've been all, "Donna who?", and so he ordered some creative re-writing of history.

by Anonymousreply 167May 29, 2019 6:56 PM

I wonder why they didn't use Bob's actual last words, "Don't let me fall, Gwen"? I was waiting for that, it would've been a lot more moving. Seems they made the moment all about Gwen/Michelle and her reaction.

by Anonymousreply 168May 29, 2019 7:02 PM

Well, it was a Bob/Gwen love story. Of course, many people felt Bob's love was actually Joan McCracken but that didn't suit the storyline. And the Ann Reinking character was the most boring you could imagine.

by Anonymousreply 169May 29, 2019 7:04 PM

All I really understood of Reinking's character by the end of the miniseries was she dressed neatly and she had pretty ironed hair.

by Anonymousreply 170May 29, 2019 7:07 PM

How doid Donna fit into opening Charity? I always assumed Debbie Allen must have opened it. Did she just show up for Broadway? What was the timeline for Charity casting?

by Anonymousreply 171May 29, 2019 8:22 PM

I thought his final words were "Don't fall on me, Gwen", R168

by Anonymousreply 172May 29, 2019 8:45 PM

So was there a real "Ron" - or was he some composite character?

by Anonymousreply 173May 29, 2019 9:03 PM

R171 The Sweet Charity revival starring Debbie Allen opened in L.A. then moved to Broadway. (I don't know if there were any stops in between.)

After the Broadway run, Donna McKechnie was to take that production on a National Tour to open in D.C. It was on that tour's opening night in D.C. that Fosse died.

R173 "Ron" was mainly Jerry Lanning who played the adult Patrick in the original Mame. Allegedly combined with a few other characters both real and imagined thrown in for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 174May 29, 2019 9:19 PM

[quote] How about Gwen's place in theater history? They could have said something like "Ladies and gentlemen, we consider Gwen Verdon not simply the winner of 4 Tony Awards and the biggest dance star in Broadway history, but yea, indeed the greatest actress in all of human history! Just thinking upon her many unsurpassed glories as she flitted across the stage makes us all cream our pants!"

There, I fixed it for you!

by Anonymousreply 175May 29, 2019 9:26 PM

She is Bob Fosse's wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176May 29, 2019 9:35 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177May 29, 2019 9:38 PM

The Lin-Manuel hate is boring. I have no interest in him at all but he looked EXACTLY like Roy Scheider in profile and the girl was perfect casting too.

by Anonymousreply 178May 29, 2019 9:41 PM

Her Tony wins were mentioned in the series.

by Anonymousreply 179May 29, 2019 9:42 PM

[quote] The Lin-Manuel hate is boring.

Everyone here lives only to excite you!

by Anonymousreply 180May 29, 2019 9:44 PM

Gwen had bright blue eyes unlike her portrayer.

by Anonymousreply 181May 29, 2019 9:45 PM

R178 What girl? Did they dress Lin up to look like Leland Palmer too? His versatility astounds!

by Anonymousreply 182May 29, 2019 9:46 PM

Cy Feuer put Nicole in ACL simply to help repair his destroyed close frienship with Fosse after their disastrous falling out making Cabaret.

It did no good. Fosse still hated Cy though he used him to get Nicole the job. It's in Feuer's autobio.

by Anonymousreply 183May 29, 2019 9:58 PM

[quote]The Lin-Manuel hate is boring.

And borderline psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 184May 29, 2019 10:12 PM

If Feuer wanted to repair the relationship, he should have offered Fosse the job as director of ACL, which he would have jumped at.

Hal Prince put Nicole in Phantom and complimented her several times in print.

Verdon's Tony wins were interesting in that the one she didn't get was for Sweet Charity. Lansbury got it for Mame, which costarred Verdon's future boyfriend, Jerry Lanning.

by Anonymousreply 185May 29, 2019 10:23 PM

I wish they would’ve spent some time on Star 80. Although I personally love the movie, it’s been said that Fosse saw the Snider character as himself if he had never been successful. That’s some interesting psychology to dive into, and the Snider/Stratton relationship has unsettling shades of Fosse/Verdon. It would’ve also been nice to at least mention the Hollywood success Gwen had as an older woman in blockbusters with Cocoon.

I hate when Lin Manuel Miranda and his punchable face slithers his way into something I’m watching.

by Anonymousreply 186May 29, 2019 11:23 PM

Just be grateful he didn't cast himself as Fosse. You just know he wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 187May 29, 2019 11:25 PM

i didn't know Roy Scheider was Puerto Rican.

by Anonymousreply 188May 29, 2019 11:28 PM

Blockbusters plural, R186? You make it sound like she played Princess Leia in all the Star Wars films. Gwen was in Cocoon and that’s it. And she was the least memorable of all the female characters.

by Anonymousreply 189May 29, 2019 11:47 PM

She was very good in Marvin’s Room.

by Anonymousreply 190May 29, 2019 11:52 PM

Gwen was also in MARVIN'S ROOM (with Meryl Streep, Robert DeNiro, Diane Keaton, and Leo DiCaprio) and received a SAG nomination for Best Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 191May 29, 2019 11:52 PM

I also would have liked to have seen Fosse working on Star 80. Rockwell's interpretation of Fosse probably would have suited that period more than the others (as I found him miscast). Also it would have been interesting to see Gwen and his family and friends reacting to him dealing with such a grim, sordid subject.

by Anonymousreply 192May 30, 2019 12:59 AM

[quote]Gwen had bright blue eyes unlike her portrayer

So? The noteworthy feature of Verdon's appearance was her red hair, not her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 193May 30, 2019 1:05 AM

Star 80 might have been covered if Nicole had wanted to play Dorothy Stratton. She was certainly pretty enough, appeared to have the bust for it, and was only a few years younger than the real Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 194May 30, 2019 1:51 AM

The series was all around disappointing with a few bright spots here and there. Williams was astounding and the best I've ever seen her.

by Anonymousreply 195May 30, 2019 2:30 AM

The miniseries had a very limited budget and it showed.

by Anonymousreply 196May 30, 2019 3:01 AM

So Ann Reinking had to audition for the role of herself in All That Jazz? I can believe that she was asked to read. What I find very hard to believe was that they would have made her have to sit in a waiting room with Ann Reinking lookalikes also waiting to audition. C'mon! They would have at least had the decency to have her come in a private setting.

by Anonymousreply 197May 30, 2019 4:01 AM

It was all to make Fosse look horrible. The whole damn thing is a hit piece! Shameless.

by Anonymousreply 198May 30, 2019 4:08 AM

Paddy's funeral scene was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 199May 30, 2019 4:54 AM

What this did was really made me appreciate Ryan Murphy. Whatever you can say about "Feud," he at least made the characters all seem alive and memorable and complex--not just Joan and Bette, but Mamacita, Robert Aldrich, Aldrich's secretary, Aldrich's wife, B. D., Louis Mayer, Hedda Hopper, Olivia de Havilland, Anne Bancroft, Geraldine Page, etc.

By contrast, the only three-dimensional character in this was Gwen Verdon--everyone else was flat and dull.

by Anonymousreply 200May 30, 2019 5:20 AM

Interesting how the last three episodes abandoned the surreal shit, even if a case can be made for the “if they could see me now” scene.

by Anonymousreply 201May 30, 2019 5:24 AM

LMM just can't help himself. haha. He didn't look anything like Roy Scheider. Stop the lies. Michelle turned this out. That is all. Glad it's over.

by Anonymousreply 202May 30, 2019 5:30 AM

Agreed, r200. Feud was way more entertaining. It captured the excitement of Hollywood. This show never captured the appeal of Broadway or Hollywood. Even the recreations of moments like Mein Herr just seemed perfunctory.

by Anonymousreply 203May 30, 2019 5:32 AM

[quote]Martin Short-as-Nicole

That made me laugh out loud.

by Anonymousreply 204May 30, 2019 8:51 AM

It was a moving final moment, but this series didn’t have much of a reason to exist after episode 2. Could have been done in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 205May 30, 2019 12:15 PM

And LMM as Roy Scheider? Lolol, he WISHES he had that much talent.

by Anonymousreply 206May 30, 2019 12:16 PM

Face it, LMM has a severe likability problem. People just don’t like him, except for his creepy and crazed faaaaaaannnnnnsss.

by Anonymousreply 207May 30, 2019 12:19 PM

[quote] . It almost seemed like Williams told someone "I want to play Gwen Verdon", she proved she could do it, they cast all the people to play the people in Gwen's life, and just had them improvise everything for a few months. The writing was that awful.

Truth.

by Anonymousreply 208May 30, 2019 12:24 PM

[quote]Face it, LMM has a severe likability problem.

You're confusing DL with the real world.

by Anonymousreply 209May 30, 2019 2:36 PM

I can’t stand LMM. I hope the In the Heights movie has an amazing soundtrack recording so that I can listen to the music without his weird, nasal voice.

by Anonymousreply 210May 30, 2019 2:41 PM

The one who plays Chita could do The Michele Lee story.

by Anonymousreply 211May 30, 2019 3:07 PM

I loved this miniseries because it was done so stylishly, and the acting was superb. I wasn't so familiar with Fosse's and Verdon's lives so this filled me in.

by Anonymousreply 212May 30, 2019 3:11 PM

I fell asleep early on in the episode and woke up just at the end. I considered going back and rewatching to see what I missed, and I've decided it's just not worth the aggravation. That sums up my reaction to the entire mess.

by Anonymousreply 213May 30, 2019 3:16 PM

Bebe Neuwirth was also in that Revival of Sweet Charity.

Video below shows Debbie Allen, Chita Rivera, Bebe Neuwirth - "If They Could See Me Now" from the 1997 Bway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS Concert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214May 30, 2019 3:16 PM

Debbie is long overdue for a Kennedy Center honor.

by Anonymousreply 215May 30, 2019 3:37 PM

R215 Is there an eye roll emoji somewhere on here?

by Anonymousreply 216May 30, 2019 3:41 PM

[quote]I wasn't so familiar with Fosse's and Verdon's lives so this filled me in.

NEWSFLASH: They were mostly lies!

by Anonymousreply 217May 30, 2019 3:45 PM

[quote] NEWSFLASH: They were mostly lies!

Oh who cares? I know I'm not watching a documentary. I'm watching a dramatized version of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 218May 30, 2019 3:49 PM

Who wants to enroll in the Debbie Allen School of Dance?

by Anonymousreply 219May 30, 2019 3:49 PM

In the late 1980's Debbie Allen cut an album. She was a successful actress, dancer, and choreographer--so producers wanted to make her a singer too (a la Paula Abdul).

The album was so overproduced to cover up a weak voice,

by Anonymousreply 220May 30, 2019 3:51 PM

R218 well, you said "if filled you in on their lives," which implies that you bought it hook, line, and sinker.

by Anonymousreply 221May 30, 2019 3:51 PM

R221, not really. I learned about the general arc of their lives and now I can proceed to completely forget about them.

It's not like Fosse's and Verdon's lives are central to anything I do

by Anonymousreply 222May 30, 2019 3:55 PM

I care about a biopic being truthful. I wouldn't want people making shit up about me.

by Anonymousreply 223May 30, 2019 3:55 PM

What is the point of making a biopic if you are just going to make things up? Why not create an original story if that is your intention? LMM should be ashamed but he doesn’t know shame.

by Anonymousreply 224May 30, 2019 4:14 PM

So LMM researched their lives and wrote all the scripts? He really is multi-talented.

by Anonymousreply 225May 30, 2019 4:18 PM

You know he was the producer. And you know full well what a producer does. Nice try though.

by Anonymousreply 226May 30, 2019 4:27 PM

Lucky Linny never flew so high.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227May 30, 2019 4:31 PM

i always find LMM very sweet.

But sexy and studly he is not.

by Anonymousreply 228May 30, 2019 4:35 PM

LMM does seem sweet, but he also appears to be an SJW, which really turns me off! I have an aversion to SJWs and Deplorables -- pretty much anyone with extreme politics who lives in a fantasyland!

by Anonymousreply 229May 30, 2019 4:40 PM

It’s his ego that makes me sick. The fact that the series actually has Bob Fosse stating they need someone handsome to play him in All That Jazz and LMM shows up. Someone more handsome? The answer was himself.

by Anonymousreply 230May 30, 2019 4:42 PM

Love LMM, have never seen his ego in anything. Face it, he's just damn talented.

by Anonymousreply 231May 30, 2019 4:48 PM

btw, forgotten fun fact from the 70s. The very first person approached to play Fosse in All That Jazz? Paul Newman! Google it if you don't believe me.

by Anonymousreply 232May 30, 2019 4:50 PM

Well, to be fair, they said they needed someone "handsomer [than Richard Dreyfus]," and that's not a high bar.

Lin-Manuel may be no oil painting, but he is at least handsomer than Richard Dreyfus.

by Anonymousreply 233May 30, 2019 4:51 PM

R231 you are what is called a stan.

by Anonymousreply 234May 30, 2019 4:59 PM

He IS talented. I love In the Heights, though I don’t get Hamilton. He’s very talented. I also think he’s an egomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 235May 30, 2019 5:00 PM

The revival of "Sweet Charity" was Fosse's last hit and his only hit since Dancin'. However, people do forget that Debbie Allen was a big name and propelled the BO. Once she left and Reinking took over, the show limped to a quick close. On tour, McKechnie couldn't even keep the show open with the publicity of Fosse's death.

by Anonymousreply 236May 30, 2019 5:36 PM

McKechnie just isn't much of an actress, let alone comedienne. I can't imagine she was a good Charity at all except when she danced.

by Anonymousreply 237May 30, 2019 6:04 PM

Reinking can't sing or act and I was fairly shocked when I saw this. She's doing the same steps but something is really missing from the Verdon version. No finesse, no grace, no elegance.

by Anonymousreply 238May 30, 2019 6:11 PM

R237 is that why she didn't make it big in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 239May 30, 2019 6:11 PM

video with Bebe as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240May 30, 2019 6:11 PM

I saw that revival of Sweet Charity. Allen was underwhelming, particularly in her characterization. She played her simply as an airhead—there is some of that as written, but she also needs some charm and pathos. Neuwirth acted, danced, and sang rings around her as Nicki and won a Tony—it was the first time i’d Seen or heard of her, and she was so much more interesting. Michael Rupert made Oscar more appealing (he also got a Tony), though the character is always ultimately a heel—a nice heel, but a heel nonetheless. I suspect the show only really worked with Verdon, though I would like to have seen Rivera do it when she did the tour.

by Anonymousreply 241May 30, 2019 6:12 PM

R241, Rivera is probably the worst actress of the bunch and has the undeniable talent of making characters into villains, primarily because of her witch like looks.

by Anonymousreply 242May 30, 2019 6:17 PM

[quote] I care about a biopic being truthful. I wouldn't want people making shit up about me.

Name a biopic that was absolutely truthful.

None because it's hard to dramatize everything exactly how it happened

by Anonymousreply 243May 30, 2019 6:17 PM

I don't think I'd buy Rivera as Charity much either. She wasn't a great Roxie either. Wonderful Velma obviously, but Roxie needs to be a lot less hard edged than Velma to really work.

by Anonymousreply 244May 30, 2019 6:18 PM

Verdon has charm in spades. You wanted to take care of her

by Anonymousreply 245May 30, 2019 6:18 PM

I also saw that production with Debbie Allen and completely agree with you. Something else bugged me but it's a touchy argument so I have to be careful. There was all this talk going on at the time about color-blind casting which is why Debbie Allen did the role. Yet, for the context and period of the musical, it made no sense to me that Michael Rupert was cast. Race was a big issue in the early 60s. So much is mentioned in the script about their romance not being possible because of the class structure yet nothing about race. We're just supposed to listen to these arguments but ignore the fact that Charity is black? I thought they should have either rewritten the book to include discussion of race, or cast a black actor instead of Rupert. As done, it made no sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 246May 30, 2019 6:18 PM

Charity is a hard role to cast and not just because of the dancing and singing demands, but because the role can easily tip over into the ridiculous. You have to have someone who can make you believe Charity is endlessly naive, but not mentally deranged or slow. She needs to be vulnerable and you have to want her to get her act together. The production was mostly shit, but Christina Applegate was quite good in the role during that last revival.

by Anonymousreply 247May 30, 2019 6:20 PM

Kill me, but I thought MacLaine was a great Charity in the movie. Maybe a bit too weepy too early, but she had the charm, charisma, humor, and vulnerability in spades.

by Anonymousreply 248May 30, 2019 6:21 PM

I thought the Allen casting was a perfect example of color blind casting. She seemed straight out of the dance hall and it made sense that Rupert would be attracted to her.

by Anonymousreply 249May 30, 2019 6:31 PM

R243, Jessica Lange's Frances is essentially complete fiction but it still was gripping.

by Anonymousreply 250May 30, 2019 6:33 PM

Recent fictionalized biopics have nothing on the biopics from Hollywood's golden age. "Night and Day," starring Cary Grant as frog-faced Cole Porter, was such a fantasy it might as well have been produced by Walt Disney.

by Anonymousreply 251May 30, 2019 7:40 PM

Don't forget Lady Sings the Blues which was also complete fantasy.

Here are Allen, Reinking and McKechnie doing Charity's Theme. Call it charisma, star power or whatever, Allen is the only one who seems to create a character from the second she appears, and it's not the sassy persona we're used to. McKechnie is the best dancer and Reinking is completely miscast, especially with that ridiculous wig. Reinking does a nice bit when the sign descends and she does a comic take when she sees it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252May 30, 2019 7:44 PM

[quote] Race was a big issue in the early 60s. So much is mentioned in the script about their romance not being possible because of the class structure yet nothing about race.

Always funny when people complain about the lack of reality in a musical...but don't mention that people just stop and start singing in the middle of their days

by Anonymousreply 253May 30, 2019 7:46 PM

Did the last Sweet Charity revival keep Fosse's choreography?

I enjoyed Christian Applegate despite all the negative things people said about her. The whole thing was fun.

by Anonymousreply 254May 30, 2019 7:48 PM

I believe most of the revival choreography was changed. Hence why most of the production was rather meh altogether. However, Applegate was sensational. I always felt bad for her and wish she'd return to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 255May 30, 2019 7:50 PM

Wayne Cilento did the choreography.

by Anonymousreply 256May 30, 2019 7:51 PM

Why the fuck did they put Reinking in that awful wig? It's as bad as the Carol Brady wig they gave Sutton Foster when she played the role a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 257May 30, 2019 7:52 PM

to 234, what is a stan?

by Anonymousreply 258May 30, 2019 8:13 PM

R243 most reputable biopics at least try to stick as close to the facts. FOSSE/VERDON was something else , though. Most of it wasn't true. It's more fictional and factual.

by Anonymousreply 259May 30, 2019 8:32 PM

R253 okay, so let's have a multiracial production of The Color Purple. What difference does it make? They're all just singing and swaying anyway.

by Anonymousreply 260May 30, 2019 8:39 PM

R258 a stan is a portmanteau of *stalker* and *fan* and refers to fans who worship their idols with a blind devotion (i.e., their idols have no flaws).

by Anonymousreply 261May 30, 2019 8:40 PM

All this talk about miscast Charity actresses, and no one mentions me?

by Anonymousreply 262May 30, 2019 8:48 PM

Face it, LMM has a severe troll problem. People just don’t hate him, except for his creepy and crazed stalkers.

There -- I fixed it for you r207.

by Anonymousreply 263May 30, 2019 8:54 PM

I set a high bar, fellas.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264May 30, 2019 8:56 PM

I also saw that Debbie Allen revival pre-Broadway in L.A. (as well as the original with the brilliant Gwen Verdon.) The biggest problem with the revival was that Debbie Allen was so unlikeable people started referring to it as "Mean Charity."

And since I've stopped by, I just figured I'd mention again that Fosse/Verdon was a truly disgraceful piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 265May 30, 2019 8:58 PM

You tried it R263. No one likes him.

by Anonymousreply 266May 30, 2019 9:01 PM

Giulietta!

by Anonymousreply 267May 30, 2019 9:01 PM

I love IN THE HEIGHTS too. But the girl he wrote it with plays a huge part in it. Some nice songs in Hamilton but that's it for me. I love BRING IT ON too but again he wrote half of the MUSIC. He is no actor and definitely no singer. So, he's an average talented songwriter. His writing is very simple.

by Anonymousreply 268May 30, 2019 9:05 PM

R260, where in any reference is Charity white? As such, why doesn't anyone object to Chita doing the role?

by Anonymousreply 269May 30, 2019 9:27 PM

I'm up to episode 4. While the scene with Gwen and Neil Simon's wife in the hospital was touching, nobody knows or cares who Neil Simon's wife was.

And the guy playing Ben Vereen looked nothing like him. It's like the casting director just said, "Send me a black man that can dance Fosse."

by Anonymousreply 270May 30, 2019 9:39 PM

R258 That's clever but the term Stan comes from the Eminem song Stan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271May 30, 2019 9:46 PM

R270 Neil Simon's play "Chapter Two" is basically about Simon mourning his wife and then meeting Marsha Mason; I forget how much detail the play gives about her, but she's basically the chapter one.

by Anonymousreply 272May 30, 2019 10:26 PM

According to Neil Simon, the main character of Corie in "Barefoot in the Park" is heavily based on his first wife Joan and their early married years.

by Anonymousreply 273May 30, 2019 10:37 PM

By all means they should absolutely give Debbie Allen a Kennedy Center Honor before Liza Minnelli. Makes so much sense! There are some real idiots here. And re:: Chita’s witch-like visage, when her face suddenly appeared in the film Chicago in a brief, terrifying cameo, the audience at the Ziegfeld theatre screamed in horror.

by Anonymousreply 274May 30, 2019 11:01 PM

[quote]Face it, LMM has a severe likability problem. People just don’t like him, except for his creepy and crazed faaaaaaannnnnnsss.

Actually, the anti-LMM troll (it seems to be just one) has always struck me as much more "creepy and crazed" than his fans, who seem rather subdued, at least on DL. Not over the top at all. It seems obvious that what bothers this troll/loon more than anything is the fact that LMM is Latino. He constructs this fantasy world where LMM is not a success, or is a "phony" success, and he lives it out, all on DL. It has no relationship to reality, where LMM is a major success.

by Anonymousreply 275May 30, 2019 11:10 PM

[quote] nobody knows or cares who Neil Simon's wife was.

Not strictly the truth, since Simon based one of his most successful plays, Chapter Two, on his recovery from the grief of losing Joan and his courtship of Marsha Mason.

by Anonymousreply 276May 30, 2019 11:12 PM

R276 meet R272

by Anonymousreply 277May 30, 2019 11:41 PM

Did Liza inspire millions of students like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278May 31, 2019 12:12 AM

Ann Reinking, interviewed after only seeing the first two episodes of "Fosse/Verdon" - she thinks Williams and Rockwell were wonderful, and is very happy about the casting of Margaret Qualley, particularly since Qualley is a real dancer. But she hopes future episodes would be "kinder" about Fosse, and points out how beloved he was by so many different people. He was not an "abuser" in her eyes. (Obviously, she didn't get her wish)

She also says the episode of her having sex with Fosse in the hospital bed after his heart attack - which she had heard about but hadn't seen - wasn't accurate, that it happened after he was out of the hospital. Among other things, she points out that while he was in the hospital, she was in a back brace because of her broken vertebrae, which happened during her last performance in "Over Here." Too bad they couldn't show that, although it had nothing, really, to do with either Fosse or Verdon. She also talks about auditioning for "All That Jazz" and says she "auditioned for everything back then" - although there are other sources that quote her as being perturbed at having to audition to play herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279May 31, 2019 12:16 AM

There’s a reason a lot of people are resentful about LMM. Relatively few people (from an audience perspective) have spent $500 to see him play the substitute teacher who puts on a sideways cap, turns his chair around, and rap about history. The people who have are very influential. He started showing up everywhere. And because the hype was so over the top — Michelle Obama calling his show the greatest piece of art she ever saw was so phony — it went straight to his head. So now a general audience has to see this guy shoved down their throats who radiates such smug arrogance all the time. And the fact that he isn’t an actor and gave himself the part makes it even worse. His British accent in Mary Poppins was so embarrassing and he clearly only got the part because Disney wants the rights to make the Hamilton film, which will flop just like the similarly hyped but not able to live up to it trend piece RENT.

by Anonymousreply 280May 31, 2019 12:34 AM

LIn has a KHC.

by Anonymousreply 281May 31, 2019 1:16 AM

I think Debbie Allen absolutely deserves an honour. She is not a great singer but she is an excellent actress, dancer, choreographer but also a terrific producer and director. It was she - not Bill Cosby - who made A Different World stand out and be a hit and stand on its own without relying on the Cosby name. It's a shame that ADW is kind of neglected today because of its association with BC because Allen really took the reins of the show in its second, post-Lisa Bonet season and made it about black students working towards being professionals and learning about black history and black consciousness. Many of the episodes would resonate today.

She's an Emmy-winning choreographer, and Tony nominee. She choreographed the Oscars. She's very talented and respected in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 282May 31, 2019 1:33 AM

Here’s an interesting article with some clips of Fosse, Verdon and Reinking dancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283May 31, 2019 1:34 AM

R282, I agree with you. She is the whole package.

by Anonymousreply 284May 31, 2019 1:54 AM

I was really struck, listening to one of the videos at R283, at how much Sam Rockwell sounded like the real Bob Fosse. He really got his voice down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285May 31, 2019 2:00 AM

R282 She also had a choreographic repertoire about 2 different dance moves when she did dances, usually with the late lamented Gene Anthony Ray.

by Anonymousreply 286May 31, 2019 3:10 AM

Yes I thought some people looked forward to the Debbie Allen dance routine at the Oscars, when she had the gig for a number of years, as the nadir of show business.

by Anonymousreply 287May 31, 2019 3:16 AM

Just because it deserves to be seen again....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288May 31, 2019 3:40 AM

I thought you were going to post her Footloose number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289May 31, 2019 4:18 AM

[quote] to 234, what is a stan?

That yutz, my ex-husband, is a Stan, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 290May 31, 2019 4:24 AM

Was Kenny Loggins sick or something?

by Anonymousreply 291May 31, 2019 4:35 AM

LMM was Olivier in Mary Poppins compared to Dick Van Dyke if you compare accents.

by Anonymousreply 292May 31, 2019 4:38 AM

Did anybody see the last episode?

That part at the end, where Bob has a heart attack, was just heartbreaking. You could tell they had a bond that was stronger than all others. He was with the right person at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 293May 31, 2019 4:43 AM

R292 Thank you, Lin for your very special presence here. Now bugger off.

by Anonymousreply 294May 31, 2019 4:57 AM

I don’t think Sam Rockwell is getting enough credit for nailing the dance moves the way he did. He was so fluid and natural. You could really believe he was a choreographer and a former pro dancer on those scenes.

It really was him and Michelle Williams succeeding despite the shitty writing and production values.

by Anonymousreply 295May 31, 2019 6:47 AM

[quote]LMM was Olivier in Mary Poppins compared to Dick Van Dyke if you compare accents.

Absolutely. How about if you bugger off, tiresome troll at R294.

by Anonymousreply 296May 31, 2019 2:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297May 31, 2019 2:44 PM

Absolutely, R295. Williams gets the accolades because her character was sympathetic and Rockwell gets the short end because the Fosse character was written so smarmy. Both of them were superb in inhabiting their roles and mastering the physicality.

by Anonymousreply 298May 31, 2019 3:05 PM

[quote]Williams gets the accolades because her character was sympathetic and Rockwell gets the short end because the Fosse character was written so smarmy.

It was written that way because the creators are trying to jump on the #metoo bandwagon by presenting Gwen as a put-upon female who becomes empowered. In reality, Gwen was just a doormat and possibly masochist. All of her life.

by Anonymousreply 299May 31, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote]so he ordered some creative re-writing of history.

No he didn’t. The scene of Gwen and Bob rehearsing with Debbie Allen was from the tryout in Los Angeles. The show then went to Broadway where Allen opened it, Reinking closed it, and Donna McKechnie took it on the road the following year - which is when Fosse died.

by Anonymousreply 300May 31, 2019 4:36 PM

[quote]In reality, Gwen was just a doormat and possibly masochist. All of her life.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

by Anonymousreply 301May 31, 2019 4:37 PM

[quote]Night and Day," starring Cary Grant as frog-faced Cole Porter, was such a fantasy it might as well have been produced by Walt Disney.

Even worse was DeLovely, the version with Kevin Kline & Ashley Judd. They had a scene with Kevin/Cole and Ashley/Linda leaving a screening and giggling over how ridiculous it was, as if their casting was any more believable.

by Anonymousreply 302May 31, 2019 4:42 PM

R301 what do you call someone who puts up with her husband's infidelity (and then some) but never divorces him and remains with him to his dying day? She was at his beck and call to the end and never broke away from that toxic cycle. Thus, she's a doormat! (And a possible masochist if she got some gratification off of it.)

by Anonymousreply 303May 31, 2019 4:51 PM

[quote]what do you call someone who puts up with her husband's infidelity (and then some) but never divorces him and remains with him to his dying day?

She was strong enough to take a lover. There is a scene in ep 4 where Fosse comes into her apartment in the night and gets belted by Gwen's boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 304May 31, 2019 5:07 PM

I don't think Gwen was a doormat at all. While Fosse had his numerous affairs, she had her trysts as well. And, she benefitted from her association with Fosse, so she stuck around while his career was on an upswing. The series touched upon this when she insisted that he show up at one of her stage engagements. She knew his appearance would generate buzz and increase ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 305May 31, 2019 5:34 PM

This was just awful at the end. More like Phosphorus/Vermin.

by Anonymousreply 306May 31, 2019 6:05 PM

Ridiculous to think Verdon was a doormat, and she was certainly not at his beck and call. She knew she needed him to do Chicago. Once that was over, she no longer looked to him for her career, and that’s when her movie/tv career really got started.

by Anonymousreply 307May 31, 2019 7:02 PM

Bennett should have offered Gwen the role of Cassie in A Chorus Line.

Because, Bob, er I mean Zach, I can't act! God, I'm a dancer. A dancer dances.

by Anonymousreply 308May 31, 2019 7:10 PM

All things being equal, if Bennett knew what ACL would turn into, he probably would have played Zach. He never allowed Nicholas Dante to play Paul. At least he didn't let Lisa Mordente play Morales.

by Anonymousreply 309May 31, 2019 7:41 PM

[quote]And, she benefitted from her association with Fosse, so she stuck around while his career was on an upswing. The series touched upon this when she insisted that he show up at one of her stage engagements.

And when she very clearly told Annie “get gigs from him.”

by Anonymousreply 310May 31, 2019 7:42 PM

R308 Verdon was a wonderful actress, if you're implying otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 311May 31, 2019 8:45 PM

[quote]Verdon was a wonderful actress, if you're implying otherwise.

Not implying anything. That's one of Cassie's lines in her monologue leading up to Music & The Mirror.

by Anonymousreply 312May 31, 2019 8:56 PM

Wasn’t she in her 50s when A Chorus Line premiered? I mean, come on...

by Anonymousreply 313May 31, 2019 9:05 PM

r309 - That's MISS Mordente to you, bub!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314May 31, 2019 9:06 PM

[quote]Wasn’t she in her 50s when A Chorus Line premiered? I mean, come on...

Cassie is supposed to be older than the other kids. She went to LA to have a film career and then had to return.

And Jennifer Holiday is *still* playing Effie in Dreamgirls. And she's 59.

by Anonymousreply 315May 31, 2019 9:09 PM

You try to be Peg o' My Heart.....

by Anonymousreply 316May 31, 2019 9:13 PM

Uhhh, R315, Sheila is the oldest of “the kids” and she just turned 30. So Cassie is probably 27 or 28.

by Anonymousreply 317May 31, 2019 9:24 PM

I’m well aware of the story of A Chorus Line. Yes, Cassie is older but most of those characters are probably 24. Older than THAT, yes, but not into her 50s!

by Anonymousreply 318May 31, 2019 9:25 PM

And she's real glad, r317.

by Anonymousreply 319May 31, 2019 9:30 PM

Boring. It's obvious Nicole Fosse did not like her father.

by Anonymousreply 320May 31, 2019 9:33 PM

My boyfriend heard on a podcast that the girl playing Debbie Allen had to get extensions done for five hours to look like that. And she didn't even look like her. That's some insight into the minds of these idiots behind the production. 5 hours on extensions. Ok. A five min appearance by an actress in a top hat. A wig would have been more than fine.

by Anonymousreply 321June 1, 2019 12:49 AM

R317, Cassie is 32. Zach says "you left the chorus when you're 22, what the hell makes you think you can go back when you're 32?" Also, Gregory is also older than Sheila.

D'Amboise was 42 when she did the revival.

by Anonymousreply 322June 1, 2019 1:15 AM

R322 what revival?

by Anonymousreply 323June 1, 2019 1:17 AM

ACL in 2006

by Anonymousreply 324June 1, 2019 1:18 AM

Verdon turned 50 in Jan 1975, and both ACL and Chicago began in May/June 1975.

by Anonymousreply 325June 1, 2019 5:06 AM

McKechnie was 45 when she returned to the role on Broadway. I'm not advocating for Verdon because it was obviously a joke, but there is not a whole lot to the Cassie role. If you could get through those six minutes, you could get through the show.

by Anonymousreply 326June 1, 2019 6:15 AM

Interestingly, though Verdon never did Cassie, Ann Reinking did. She replaced McKechnie on Broadway when McKechnie left to do the West Coast company, and when Leland Palmer had her breakdown after one performance in LA (she replaced McKechnie when McKechnie finally left), Reinking was rushed out to take over, and she played it for a few weeks in LA as well.

The one thing that stood out was Reinking singing Cassie's lines in Hello Twelve, Hello Thirteen ("Am I your friend, am I your friend," etc) down in her baritone range, when McKechnie had sung them up in her soprano range.

by Anonymousreply 327June 1, 2019 12:40 PM

r327

what happened with leland palmer?

by Anonymousreply 328June 1, 2019 2:33 PM

Apparently "Marsha Mason" turned up in episode 4 - how did I miss her? I must have blinked.

by Anonymousreply 329June 1, 2019 3:35 PM

R327, the line is "A diaphragm, a diaphragm, I thought a diaphragm was up here"

Reinking was brought into LA when McKechnie left the company. The original plan was to have her step back into the NY company and then conveniently have her go in with the "new" London company, which didn't work out. Vicki Frederick did the part when Reinking was in LA and when the McKechnie drama played out, he swapped Frederick and Reinking. Vicki did it for a while until Bennett got Leland to play the role, which was indeed about one or two performances but she quit and Bennett never directed her or even saw her. He was clearly bored with this company by then and allowed the original tour understudy, Renata Vasselle to go on indefinitely. When she gave notice, the part went to nobody Pamela Peadon who finished out the run.

by Anonymousreply 330June 1, 2019 4:02 PM

Pamela Peadon.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331June 1, 2019 5:48 PM

Who got peed on?

by Anonymousreply 332June 1, 2019 6:01 PM

Gwen Verdon was doing "Chicago at the same time as "A Chorus Line", plus Gwen is already in the script of "A Chorus Line" being acknowledged as a legend: one of the girls says "I want to be the next Gwen Verdon" or something like that. So Gwen herself being in the show would have been kind of weird.

I saw Ann Reinking take over as Cassie; for some reason, she fell during "The Music and the Mirror". I know she wasn't able to sing in McKechnie's soprano keys, but also, the dance was made to order for Donna's body and didn't really suit the very different build of Reinking.

by Anonymousreply 333June 1, 2019 6:03 PM

Was Gwen considered an old lady in the '70s?

by Anonymousreply 334June 1, 2019 6:05 PM

"the dance was made to order for Donna's body and didn't really suit the very different build of Reinking."

That seems to be the general consensus

by Anonymousreply 335June 1, 2019 6:05 PM

Gwen was still doing a cartwheel in "Chicago", so no. But she was considered older in comparison to the younger Chita, which is why Chita was given more to do dance-wise in "Chicago", while Gwen was clearly the lead in the plot and acting scenes.

by Anonymousreply 336June 1, 2019 6:08 PM

Gwen knew her dancing days were numbered, which is why she was so eager to get Chicago up then. It wasn’t a matter of not being able to do steps, but of stamina. She just didn’t have it in her to sustain a dancing role like Charity (or Essie or Anna or Lola) by the mid-70s, and knew that five years later she’d be even more restricted. Even in her prime, she would occasionally have one of her numbers dropped from a performance to give her a break (in “Charity,” it was usually Where Am I Going). She always kept the big dancing routines, because she knew people were coming to see her dance.

In a way, it’s really a shame that Children, Children was such a stinker. If she could have affirmed her viability as a non-dancing actress at that point, it could have changed the course of her career after Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 337June 2, 2019 12:42 AM

Isn't there also a line about her being older than she ever thought she would be?

by Anonymousreply 338June 2, 2019 1:03 AM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339June 2, 2019 1:06 AM

I always heard she started dropping Where Am I Going due to not just stamina, but because Streisand recorded a cover of it and Gwen was embarrassed to be compared to Streisand's vocals.

by Anonymousreply 340June 2, 2019 3:02 AM

Why embarrassed? Wasn't she a musical theater diva in her own right?

by Anonymousreply 341June 2, 2019 3:05 AM

She dropped a number from Redhead periodically, too. (It’s in one of the books which one it was, but I can’t recall). She was stopped on the street by a woman who had seen the show and told her how disappointed she was that she hadn’t seen “the full show” the night she was there. Gwen whipped out her checkbook and wrote her a check for a couple of bucks, and said “This should cover it.”

by Anonymousreply 342June 2, 2019 3:29 AM

R342, she was known as trying to drop seven songs from a performance of Redhead.

by Anonymousreply 343June 2, 2019 6:26 AM

Fosse's last girlfriend was Phoebe Ungerer and she was shown only briefly. They were living together and she found out he died on the news. Verdon pretended to like her when he was alive but when he died, she turned on her. She gave her one day to get her cat, her belongings, everything out of the house.

Did you see the reference to Ann Reinking's gay boyfriend. They even identified him. Charles as in Charles Ward who died of AIDS. Nice show.

by Anonymousreply 344June 2, 2019 6:31 AM

weird question but did Ann Reinking smoke as well? They showed lots of people smoking but not her

by Anonymousreply 345June 2, 2019 2:39 PM

Fosse had an alluring twinkle in his eye and sophisticated charm in the clips of interviews with him that just does not come through in this series. Even though he was a tortured soul with addictions to drugs and sex, he was also very talented. With all his success there must have been some good times but unfortunately we never get to see them.. Obsessed as he was, he couldn’t have spent every moment in theaters and studios (and in bed). One of the articles linked to above showed a photo of him at Disneyland with Gwen and their daughter.

by Anonymousreply 346June 2, 2019 4:57 PM

I don’t think Gwen liked any of the girlfriends. Probably she was smart enough to know the way to stay in touch with Bob and on good terms with him was to kiss up to the girlfriends. Maybe by the time of the last girlfriend, she had just had it with being accommodating to one much younger woman after another and she was tired of pretending.

If anything in that series is true, it’s probably that Gwen still wanted to be with him, but in his mind, Gwen had aged out of the leading lady role in his personal life. Which was bound to cause resentment in Gwen. It’s still mean that she blamed it on his last girlfriend though.

Gwen comes off as selfish and narcissistic in a lot of this too. It wasn’t only Bob. Having a lot of charisma and being selfish are not mutually exclusive.

Interesting that her daughter was a big part of it. She doesn’t make either parent look like a particularly lovable person. More like a couple of narcissists that had a kid. She must be bitter, but I can’t really blame her because she seems like an afterthought.

by Anonymousreply 347June 2, 2019 5:10 PM

Reinking knew Ward was gay. Everyone did but Fosse suspected them of having an affair during Dancin when they moved in together. In Martin Gottfried's bio, he said that everyone was worried about Fosse's obsession with Ann after she left him, presumably for a gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 348June 2, 2019 5:25 PM

There was one earlier girlfriend that Verdon seemed to like. She was one Fosse was cheating on with while he was with Reinking. She and Reinking got into a big fight in the hospital and Gwen sort of refereed it and broke it up. At the funeral, she thanked Gwen about the incident and she closed her eyes and smiled, as if she were remembering a very special moment.

Okay, so does LMM now do one on Michael Bennett and Donna McKechnie?

by Anonymousreply 349June 2, 2019 5:28 PM

The real Bob Fosse directing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350June 2, 2019 6:10 PM

Fosse obit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351June 2, 2019 6:14 PM

Maybe Gwen was a narcissist, too (there is a school of thought that says pretty much any performer or artist is to some degree), but at least she seemed a bit more lovable. I always feel like, to be diagnosed as a true narcissist, one must have almost zero empathy and genuinely not care about how they treat others. I don't think Verdon or Fosse really had this. I think they seemed to know when they screwed up.

by Anonymousreply 352June 2, 2019 6:28 PM

There was an anecdote that Ben Vereen told about Pippin. On the first day of rehearsal, Fosse worked the dancers in the morning on one routine. They broke for lunch and when they came back they started doing the same routine again. One of the dancers complained, "Are we doing this again?" and was promptly fired.

Also, I don't think this show portrays Fosse choreography very well. The dance sequences look more like standard American theater dancing. Fosse choreography was elbows, knees and hats.

by Anonymousreply 353June 2, 2019 8:41 PM

[quote]One of the dancers complained, "Are we doing this again?" and was promptly fired.

Why was he fired?

by Anonymousreply 354June 2, 2019 9:00 PM

R354, for cooking the burgers too long, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 355June 2, 2019 9:15 PM

If they had just put that little shine in Bob’s eyes to capture his humor & passion, this show might have been better.

by Anonymousreply 356June 2, 2019 9:39 PM

[quote]what happened with leland palmer?

This came directly from her: She had begun to be disenchanted and unsatisfied with her show business career as early as "Pippin," (there were some issues with Stephen Schwartz, who sped up "Spread a Little Sunshine" after recording, giving her what she felt was a 'Minnie Mouse voice'), and after she filmed Ken Russell's Valentino, began to seriously consider leaving the business altogether. The feelings grew during rehearsals for A Chorus Line, and after one performance (it was only one), that was it. She called Michael Bennett and said she couldn't do it anymore. She was done. Bennett was quite supportive, and told her to take the time she needed, and the job would be there for her when she was ready to return. She told him she doubted she would return. She was living in LA at that point, and got a job in senior care. She'd been working at that for several months when Fosse called. He wanted her to play Audrey/Gwen in "All That Jazz," and thought it would be terrific if she could follow Ann Reinking into "Chicago," and play Roxie for a couple of months before they began filming. She initially turned him down, explaining she had left the business, but he flew her back to NY to meet with him about it. She finally said yes to the film, but refused to go into "Chicago." As it turned out, she had a wonderful time shooting "All That Jazz," because there were no stakes in it for her as far as advancing her career - just to do a good job for its own sake. It didn't ultimately matter to her if the film were a big hit or not (of course, it was). By the time it was released, she was back working in senior care.

About three years later, she was happily out of the business, when her father died, and in the process of dealing with that, discovered she was Jewish. Her father had changed the family name in the 1930s (well before she was born) from "Posner" to "Palmer" so they wouldn't have to face anti-Semitism. (Her birth name was Linda Palmer. Because there had been a Linda Palmer in AEA already, she became "Lee Lynn Palmer" originally, and then "Leland" which is what everyone called her). So that led to her multi-year discovery of her Jewish identity, living in Israel, and then back to the US to go to school to become an interfaith minister dealing with elder care.

by Anonymousreply 357June 2, 2019 10:54 PM

Did anyone else think the portrayal of Ann Reinking was closer to a portrayal of Shelley Duvall? Something about the voice.

by Anonymousreply 358June 2, 2019 11:15 PM

I think she was trying to mimic Reinking’s strange accent but it just sounded like mumbles.

Whatever. Which famous person’s daughter is she again? *eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 359June 2, 2019 11:19 PM

[quote]closer to a portrayal of Shelley Duvall? Something about the voice.

It was Reinking's voice - she was very successful at mimicking it. (Try listening to Reinking in "Goodtime Charley" for an example of what it sounded like when she was young). Reinking was especially happy with that casting, because Margaret Qualley is a trained dancer. She's Andie McDowell's daughter, and she's got several films coming up, including a major supporting role (as a member of the Manson girls) in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360June 3, 2019 12:08 AM

Nepotism is so boring. That Ted Bundy movie died every time Phil Collins’ charmless daughter came on screen.

by Anonymousreply 361June 3, 2019 12:16 AM

I used to think Nepotism was a pharaoh in Ancient Egypt

by Anonymousreply 362June 3, 2019 12:18 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363June 3, 2019 12:38 AM

Leland Palmer has lived such a fascinating life.

I thought she was terrific in All That Jazz and she probably would have had a long and successful career in the biz if she had stayed. Maybe not an A-list star but lots of guest parts, character roles and Broadway shows.

It really goes to show that showbiz is not for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 364June 3, 2019 12:59 AM

Well, a more sympathetic Bobby Fosse finally showed up in the final episode. I’ll get killed for saying this, but it seemed liked the scene with Miranda sparked something in Rockwell to come alive.

by Anonymousreply 365June 3, 2019 2:16 AM

That Verdon story about compensating the complaining customer is funny but I think I read a version that it happened via a letter to the theatre and Verdon refunded an amount she calculated as to how much the cut song cost out of the ticket price.

by Anonymousreply 366June 3, 2019 3:36 AM

The guy playing Jerry Orbach sounded nothing like him.

by Anonymousreply 367June 3, 2019 4:27 PM

Maybe this will be better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368June 3, 2019 7:27 PM

Alvin Ailey is more obscure than Fosse.

by Anonymousreply 369June 3, 2019 9:21 PM

Didn't Obama give Ailey the Presidential Medal of Freedom just before his term ended?

by Anonymousreply 370June 3, 2019 9:30 PM

[quote]she was known as trying to drop seven songs from a performance of Redhead.

Uh-huh. What’s your source for that? Essie is only in nine numbers, and that includes her three big dance routines. The idea that Verdon would cut, or try to cut, all but two of them is ridiculous in the extreme.

by Anonymousreply 371June 4, 2019 4:06 AM

[quote]Nepotism is so boring. That Ted Bundy movie died every time Phil Collins’ charmless daughter came on screen.

I doubt Andie McDowell has the pull to get her daughter a studio parking space, much less a major supporting role in a mini-series. The casting call went out for actresses who were dancers, and that right there cut the talent bank down.

by Anonymousreply 372June 4, 2019 4:22 AM

I think the Redhead problems between Verdon and composer Albert Hague occurred in out-of-town tryouts .

by Anonymousreply 373June 4, 2019 4:27 AM

[quote]Critics are loving it. So fuck off.

Who the fuck listens to critics? Who can't figure out what they enjoy? Intelligent people can usually decide what they do or do not like, be it music, books, films and TV series.

Rockwell was a terrible choice for Fosse. He's a very limited actor.

by Anonymousreply 374June 4, 2019 4:29 AM

R371, it's in both the Wasson and Gottfried book. It was in Washington and there were numerous times when they had to change dialogue because she was dropping numbers. Hague wanted to complain to the Dramatist Guild but realized that it might result in closing the show.

by Anonymousreply 375June 4, 2019 5:40 AM

In Redhead, Verdon also had orchestrations made in lower keys so they were easier for her to sing but when there was a professional audience, like a benefit, she sang in the higher key.

by Anonymousreply 376June 4, 2019 6:07 AM

Interesting. Wasn't Albert Hauge on Fame, which Verdon guest-starred on in 1982? I wonder if they spoke to each other.

by Anonymousreply 377June 4, 2019 6:17 AM

Verdon particularly objected to the song The Carpet Doesn't Match The Drapes which I think Hauge and Dorothy Fields wrote cos they were pissed at her.

by Anonymousreply 378June 4, 2019 7:21 AM

^^ is that for real??!! ^^

WTF, was there also a show-stopping first act closer called Fire Crotch?

by Anonymousreply 379June 4, 2019 7:27 AM

There was no tension between Hague and Verdon in "Redhead." The only issues out of town were with the Act Two opening (a chorus number called "You Might Be Next" that was finally cut, though it's in the rental version of the show) and the big love ballad. Neither Verdon nor Kiley was thrilled with how "It Doesn't Take a Minute" was playing, so Hague and Fields wrote "Look Who's in Love" and it was an immediate hit. That was it. Everything else was pretty harmonious.

There were some issues with one of the "Simpson Sisters" but I can't remember what he told me exactly (I worked with him 30 years after Redhead). Other than that, he loved the whole experience. The show was a big, Tony-winning hit for almost everyone involved, so a good time was literally had by all.

Re the carpet not matching the drapes, I know that was a joke, but in fact the show revolves around Verdon's character, Essie Whimple, being drab. She has mousy brown hair when the show starts, and only becomes the redhead of the title midway through Act One (although, actually, the title is not a reference to Essie but to the identity of the killer). So there actually could have been a song called "The Carpet Doesn't Match The Drapes" and it would have been accurate to the book.

by Anonymousreply 380June 4, 2019 12:34 PM

This show caused me to revisit A Chorus Line The Movie. Poor Nicole Fosse is always pushed to the back when dancing in a group. Was she not as expert as her parents?

In the show, Gwen made a huge deal about doing Chicago so that Nicole had an income. Was she not a good dancer?

by Anonymousreply 381June 4, 2019 2:55 PM

No, talent is not hereditary. She probably finally figured that out.

by Anonymousreply 382June 4, 2019 4:16 PM

[quote]No, talent is not hereditary.

Eff you, r382. I am as talented as both my parents. That's why everyone is always trying to put me in jail. To hide my true talent.

by Anonymousreply 383June 4, 2019 4:31 PM

Can you imagine the child of Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon having no talent? You couldn’t get more talented parents!

by Anonymousreply 384June 4, 2019 5:04 PM

R377, Al and Gwen did anal in front of the cast to ease the tension.

by Anonymousreply 385June 4, 2019 5:30 PM

[quote]Al and Gwen did anal in front of the cast to ease the tension.

No. That was just Debbie Allen's pitiful choreography.

by Anonymousreply 386June 4, 2019 6:17 PM

Every year, it used to be a joke that Debbie Allen was going to do another lousy dance number on the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 387June 4, 2019 9:32 PM

And Debbie never failed to disappoint. She suckled.

by Anonymousreply 388June 4, 2019 9:35 PM

Why did they keep asking her back?

by Anonymousreply 389June 4, 2019 9:38 PM

The actor/composer's name was Albert HAGUE. Albert died November 2001 of cancer.

"Songwriter ("Young and Foolish") and composer, educated at the Royal Conservatory of St. Cecilia in Rome (on scholarship) with Dante Alderighi and at the University of Cincinnati (on scholarship) with Sidney Durst. He served in the USAF during World War II. On Broadway, he wrote songs for the musical "Dance Me a Song", and incidental music to the plays "The Madwoman of Chaillot", "All Summer Long", and "Jennie". He composed the stage scores to "Plain and Fancy" and to "redhead" (Tony and Grammy awards, 1959). Joining ASCAP in 1952, his chief musical collaborators included Arnold Horwitt and Dorothy Fields. His popular-song compositions also include "Wait For Me Darling", "One Is a Lonely Number", "This Is All Very New to Me", "Follow Your Heart", "Plenty of Pennsylvania", "Merely Marvelous", "Look Who's in Love", "My Girl Is Just Enough Woman for Me", ""Two Faces in the Dark", "Just for Once", "Telephone Book", and "Tell Irene Hello"."

by Anonymousreply 390June 4, 2019 10:20 PM

Nicole seems bitter about her parents, her career, her lack of talent.

I wonder what Fosse and Verdon would have thought of Fosse/Verdon if they were alive.

by Anonymousreply 391June 4, 2019 11:12 PM

My favorite "Plain and Fancy" number, with the divine Shirl Conway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392June 4, 2019 11:19 PM

Nicole isn't lacking talent, based on the slight evidence (the movie of "A Chorus Line," her TV appearances) we have. She was the child of two theatrical superstars, and it's possible she realized it was just not the life she wanted for herself. She would never be as brilliant as her mother or father. Good for her for recognizing that and getting away from it.

by Anonymousreply 393June 4, 2019 11:25 PM

Ann Reinking had quite a body, well-fleshed and muscular and strong. She had a lot of meat on her bones. The actress who played her looked frail and anorexic. It was distracting.

After watching this I didn't get the impression this series portrayed Bob Fosse as an awful person. He was deeply flawed; his sexual exploitation by those horrible strippers in the burlesque houses where he had to perform basically ruined him when it came to having relationships with women. His promiscuity was no doubt also a result of that. He was deeply insecure and conflicted and had a hard time enjoying his success even at its most spectacular. He was an unhappy man. But he was also a brilliant dancer, choreographer and director. He was well liked and well loved by many. He was a lot of things. But a truly bad person? I don't think he was.

His death might not have occurred if help had arrived in a timely fashion. It took 20 minutes for an ambulance to arrive. A well meaning bystander tried to help by pounding on his chest, prompting him to cry out "please stop!" If he'd gotten to a hospital quickly he may well have survived. I wish he had lived at least 20 more years, still putting out great shows and interesting movies.

by Anonymousreply 394June 4, 2019 11:45 PM

[quote]She was the child of two theatrical superstars, and it's possible she realized it was just not the life she wanted for herself.

That was the impression I got with the ending. They say that Nicole had substance abuse problems and then moved to a farm and raised a family. So once she got out of New York and the show biz life, she probably "found" herself.

Who was the original director of Sweet Charity revival that Bob had to replace? Has Debbie Allen commented on how she's portrayed in the show? It must be a bit embarrassing that she had to have Gwen's performance pushed in her face.

by Anonymousreply 395June 5, 2019 4:10 PM

R314 isn't that the guy from "Cruising"?

by Anonymousreply 396June 5, 2019 6:55 PM

I love this fiction that Nicole Fosse “got out.” Got out of what? She barely had a career. What else was there for her to do but go have a family out of the city?

by Anonymousreply 397June 5, 2019 6:57 PM

[quote]I love this fiction that Nicole Fosse “got out.” Got out of what?

You need reading comprehension. Various posters have been pretty explicit about her getting out OF NEW YORK and THEATRICAL LIFE. The only way to cure herself from her demons was to divorce herself from being part of a "theatrical dynasty." But you obviously have this particular narrative regarding her that you're trying to set forth, so go ahead. It doesn't have any relation to reality, but go for it.

by Anonymousreply 398June 5, 2019 7:24 PM

[quote]His death might not have occurred if help had arrived in a timely fashion.

It might also not have occurred (when it did) if he had heeded the warning of his heart attack and stopped smoking and drinking (especially smoking).

by Anonymousreply 399June 5, 2019 7:44 PM

I was expecting a call to play Miss Jessica Lange for the ALL THAT JAZZ sequence. People used to mistake us for each on the lot all the time back in the day. It still happens, but I fear her plastic surgery has made her a little plastique fantastique.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400June 5, 2019 8:19 PM

Nicole also didn't start training for dance and acting until relatively late, in her early teens. As seen in ACL, she had a sweet, plangent quality and was respectable in the movie but had little chance to be a star. But as noted, Lisa Mordente got a Tony Nomination, so it's probably not as hard as all that. Lisa had Tony Mordente and Chita Rivera as parents and she is one of the least talented performers you'd ever see.

by Anonymousreply 401June 5, 2019 8:42 PM

Wow. Is Nicole Fosse herself now posting on Datalounge? You did a shitty job representing your family with Fosse/Verdon, Nicole! Just as shitty as your rediculous IMDB page which includes All That Jazz and a Raquel Welch workout tape!

by Anonymousreply 402June 5, 2019 8:54 PM

Nicole doesn't need show biz, she has the rights to "Chicago" which has brought a 20 year and counting NY run, London, all over the world, tours all over the US, regional runs, high school runs, and the movie rights. She wins.

by Anonymousreply 403June 5, 2019 9:28 PM

So she's being supported by show biz, but, yeah, she still wins.

by Anonymousreply 404June 5, 2019 10:13 PM

Speaking of Raquel, r402, what the hell is this movie? I've never heard of it, let alone seen it. Shelley, Kaye Ballard, and way down in the credits, Miss Raquel!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405June 6, 2019 12:20 AM

"A House Is Not a Home" is loosely based on the autobiography of madam Polly Adler, played in the movie by DL fave Shelley Winters. Raquel has a small role as a call girl.

by Anonymousreply 406June 6, 2019 12:56 AM

Miss Dionne Warwick recorded the movie's title song, written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407June 6, 2019 1:00 AM

Michelle Williams on playing Gwen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408June 10, 2019 11:10 PM

Gwen looked like a transvestite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409October 31, 2019 8:47 PM

I didn't think it was profoundly disappointing OP, I thought it was fantastic.

I liked it better than FEUD and I loved FEUD.

by Anonymousreply 410November 1, 2019 2:01 AM

I finally watched the series.

It should have been four episodes instead of eight.

Williams was amazing, some of the best acting ever.

While Fosse came across as a dick, Gwen only looked good in comparison. I thought they made her out to be very manipulative. She was going to nag Bob into doing Chicago (because she wanted to be back on Broadway) even if it, literally, killed him. And then they made it clear that she was too old for the role anyway.

by Anonymousreply 411November 10, 2019 4:44 PM

Listening to those two pirated audio clips of "Roxie," Liza is MUCH better, both her acting and singing.

I'm no Liza fan but Gwen should have been worried about being replaced with someone like Liza.

Was the note Liza left on the mirror real? "Thank you for letting me fill your shoes, darling."

That seems very rude. The polite thing would be to write to a Broadway legend is "Thank you for letting me try to fill your shoes, darling." Even if you had done more than that.

No wonder Gwen ditched it in the trash.

by Anonymousreply 412November 10, 2019 4:48 PM

[quote]I'm no Liza fan but Gwen should have been worried about being replaced with someone like Liza.

She was worried. Per the TV series, but also the book. She was not happy that Fosse engineered the whole "superstar fills in" thing, although as a producing partner, she appreciated the huge bump gave to their finances.

by Anonymousreply 413November 13, 2019 6:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!