Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Train set

Choo-choo gone ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 13, 2019 11:26 PM

I don’t think that’s very funny.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2019 7:40 PM

Assholes

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2019 7:41 PM

That’s just mean. Some little old men probably worked hard on that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2019 7:41 PM

What the fuck is wrong with people?

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2019 7:44 PM

My brother collects toy trains and while it's a bit of a kooky hobby, something like this would devastate him. I can't imagine why kids would think this funny. I hope they prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law and they spend their miserable elder years telling people they went to prison and ruined their lives for breaking someone's toys.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2019 7:45 PM

Monsters.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2019 7:46 PM

Yeah, the money can easily be recovered, based on what the article said about people wanting to pay for the damage, but the literally years of effort that goes into some of those displays ... how on earth do you fix that?

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2019 7:49 PM

R5 This happened in England: they'll be given a light suspended sentence, expensive counseling, further and higher education, careers guidance, a subsidized decent place to live etc, etc. The rail enthusiasts who suffered the loss will just have to ... suffer; one or two of them who might be old may decide to give up altogether.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2019 7:52 PM

This is horrible. One of my grad school profs had a huge setup in his basement with controls for multiple trains and track switching. The amount of work and detail that goes into building the towns and the scenery is unreal.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2019 7:52 PM

Yes I like train sets. I have played the modern version Rail Nation for 3 months.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2019 7:55 PM

Thank God for model trains!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2019 8:06 PM

fooking trans!

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2019 8:09 PM

Of all the bad news in the world, this just seems extra awful. So pointless.

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2019 8:13 PM

R12!

😂

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2019 8:15 PM

"Four youths who were arrested on suspicion of burglary and criminal damage have since been released on conditional bail pending further inquiries." Released ... for further reports, psychiatric and social amongst others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2019 8:16 PM

stupid kids. They should be forced to build something for years.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2019 8:20 PM

Heartbreaking story.

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2019 8:34 PM

those kids should be booted in the ass

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2019 8:37 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2019 8:39 PM

You do know they weren’t real trains and villages they destroyed, right r19?

by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2019 9:00 PM

Well, that was a lot of damage, r20, but, yeah, model train sets are usually quite fragile.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2019 9:03 PM

R20 I don't know about real trains and villages exactly, but something similar did happen in St Olaf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2019 9:08 PM

For US readers, whenever you see an article about a British school and it's called an "academy", you're dealing with something akin to the school from Dangerous Minds, so you can guess what the sort of children are like.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2019 9:12 PM

Damiens, r23?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2019 9:16 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2019 9:24 PM

Depressing. Nothing sadder than an old man crying.

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2019 9:33 PM

Toy trains are an expensive hobby, I hope they flog the jerks who did this publicly.

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2019 11:48 PM

I hate train fans. Most of them are incels.

by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2019 11:52 PM

Droooogs

by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2019 11:56 PM

I'll never again think of model trains without thinking of Dan Savage. Back when I was a regular listener he would talk about how gay mens' desires to create sex dungeons are rooted in the same part of the male mind that makes some men go up to the attic and build elaborate model train sets.

by Anonymousreply 30May 20, 2019 12:02 AM

It's terrible that criminals ruined the train sets, but the men who build them are grown ass adults and need to realize that there are far bigger tragedies in life. Crying and carrying on over model trains is a bit much ffs.

by Anonymousreply 31May 20, 2019 12:43 AM

Horrible. There is a kindness and love that goes into creating such a magic world. The perps should be beaten locked away.

by Anonymousreply 32May 20, 2019 12:47 AM

The four "youths" should be caned a la Singapore.

by Anonymousreply 33May 20, 2019 1:28 AM

Regardless of what was destroyed, it wasn't their property. Let someone steal your car and then when it's found, it's been burned to a crisp; see if you have that same attitude, r19.

by Anonymousreply 34May 20, 2019 1:36 AM

Was there a Godzilla Convention next door?

by Anonymousreply 35May 20, 2019 1:38 AM

R34, are you sure you mean r19?

by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2019 1:43 AM

R33 I love how in covering the story, the BBC Independent and Guardian call the 4 boys hiding on the school premises in the small hours and since released on 'conditional bail', whatever that entails, "youths" - whereas the deightful Daily Mail pulls no punches in it's header and straight out calls them "yobs"!

**One of my favourite Brit words along with naff and chav.

by Anonymousreply 37May 20, 2019 1:58 AM

conditional bail - "a form of bail with conditions such as reporting to the police daily or surrendering a passport."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 20, 2019 2:07 AM

[quote]Crying and carrying on over model trains is a bit much ffs.

Let's say it's something you have spent decades working on, which happens to be the case here for at least one of these people. Would you still feel the same?

by Anonymousreply 39May 20, 2019 2:10 AM

R19 unbelievable how much time and energy they put into destroying everything. Imagine if they had taken that time and energy to actually do something productive with their lives.

With that said, the amount of sympathy expressed on this thread has me kind of weirded out. Everytime there's a thread on DL about a mass shooting or earthquake or fatal traffic pileup or whatever, it's nothing but bitchy jokes and snark.

by Anonymousreply 40May 20, 2019 2:41 AM

The sight of this helpless train carcass fills me with rage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 20, 2019 2:51 AM

Is that the one valued over £8000?

by Anonymousreply 42May 20, 2019 2:54 AM

Will we see mug shots?

by Anonymousreply 43May 20, 2019 3:15 AM

Jesus, who the fuck does this? Evil little motherfuckers. The pointless cruelty of this breaks my heart.

by Anonymousreply 44May 20, 2019 3:32 AM

ASBO

by Anonymousreply 45May 20, 2019 3:35 AM

So sad. I really like to say something awful about what I would like to see done with these kids but I am restraining myself. There’s a place for them in hell

by Anonymousreply 46May 20, 2019 3:38 AM

I hope someone's checked in on Mandy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 20, 2019 3:48 AM

Let the punishment suite the crime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 20, 2019 4:09 AM

R31, Yes, there are, and it's quite possible many of those men experienced them first-hand.

Such harmless dedication and even love, the challenging detailed work, the ensuing camaraderie, all broken by vile young males who will live lives of loud, angry, and destructive desperation.

No need to "study" them. They destroyed because they could.

by Anonymousreply 49May 20, 2019 4:19 AM

[quote]the amount of sympathy expressed on this thread has me kind of weirded out.

Well, R40, like I said, my brother is a collector, so this kind of hits home. And I know a lot of people who collect or know collectors, and when you see someone really into it, you see a bit of joy through their eyes. That's what's so heinous about what these kids did. I hope R8 is wrong and that they see the inside of a prison for a long, long time; time that they can spend thinking about how stupid it was to break someone's toys.

by Anonymousreply 50May 20, 2019 5:05 AM

Long, long, long, long time, r50.

by Anonymousreply 51May 20, 2019 10:17 AM

[quote][R5] This happened in England: they'll be given a light suspended sentence, expensive counseling, further and higher education, careers guidance, a subsidized decent place to live etc, etc. The rail enthusiasts who suffered the loss will just have to ... suffer; one or two of them who might be old may decide to give up altogether.

r8 called it.

by Anonymousreply 52May 20, 2019 10:28 AM

It's an inside job. The police are focusing on this tank engine of interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 20, 2019 10:31 AM

So they've arrested four youths... the youths are out on conditional bail... the four boys and THEIR PARENTS should have to spend their time cleaning up the mess created.

I'm a big fan of public shaming. So let's have the boys and their parents clean up the mess... charge an admission fee... you can go and mock the boys and ridicule the parents who gave the world such disgusting spawn.

by Anonymousreply 54May 20, 2019 10:45 AM

^By "parents" you most likely only mean "mothers."

by Anonymousreply 55May 20, 2019 10:55 AM

Or more likely, grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 56May 20, 2019 10:59 AM

And so many Brits are the first to make disparaging comments about what trashy people we have here in the US, and how much better the UK is.

by Anonymousreply 57May 20, 2019 11:18 AM

To be fair r57 they’re also very sneery about their own trash.

by Anonymousreply 58May 20, 2019 11:27 AM

The sympathy is because this is so pointless. Model train collecting amd display is harmless, and many people enjoy going to see the displays for some light entertainment and fun. It's a difficult world and people put work into something that was AT WORST neutral, but more often than not made others happy.

Then some obviously fucked up teenagers destroy it for no reason. It couldn't even have been that fun to smash. It's senseless, and also a reminder that there are some people who are all but useless to society.

by Anonymousreply 59May 20, 2019 11:31 AM

I don't quite understand the laws about not naming young offenders, but discovered recently that our state allows papers to name anyone 16 or over if they're arrested. Some kid stole an elderly neighbor's dog -- it's okay, but the parents were crying about having to move because the kid was shunned in school, and I actually thought it was a good thing.

If teens know they'll get named and shamed maybe they'll think for a second before doing something dumb.

by Anonymousreply 60May 20, 2019 11:35 AM

Can't wait for those Brit tabloids to sniff these fuckers out and name nf shame!

by Anonymousreply 61May 20, 2019 11:36 AM

R8 Exactly.

The 4 bastards need a severe caning as per Singapore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 20, 2019 11:42 AM

I approve of the Singapore caning idea. I have for years now but progressive law enforcement and society discipline has just gone in the opposite direction.

Looking up the school on google images, this is representative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 20, 2019 11:50 AM

I’m sure Hollyoaks will be incorporating this as a storyline in the near future, and I bet Juliet will be the ringleader and this will totally send Sally over the edge for life and she will need to be institutionalized for her own protection, leaving Laurie to run the school and terrorize Sienna forever until Brodie murders him-and all because of a ruined train display! Next week on Hollyoaks!

by Anonymousreply 64May 20, 2019 12:05 PM

Scandalous!

by Anonymousreply 65May 20, 2019 1:01 PM

I like r54! I really do.

by Anonymousreply 66May 20, 2019 1:41 PM

Passionate model railway fan Sir Rod Stewart has donated £10,000 to a club whose 'priceless' exhibition was destroyed by yobs over the weekend.

Well-wishers have already raised more than £60,000 to help Market Deeping Model Railway Club, in Lincolnshire, after vandals went on a rampage over the weekend, breaking into the school where its annual show was taking place and trashing their sets.

The club has been blown away today by a flood of donations on a Just Giving website that was set up aiming to bring in just £500 to help 'get them back on their feet'.

The 74-year-old musician said: 'I was absolutely devastated to hear that vandals had destroyed what was to be a lovely show by the Market Deeping Model Railway Club over the weekend.

'The collection was priceless and I am donating £10,000 to help compensate those affected and asking fellow enthusiasts Jools Holland, Roger Daltrey and others to do the same. It took me 23 years to build my model railway so I feel their pain.'

Sir Rod has even built a scale model of New York's Grand Central station in his US pad and, speaking in his film, said he wants people to treat it with respect, adding: 'Don't say it's a 'train set'. It is a scale-model railway.'

------------------------

That's nice but nobody can compensate them for the time invested.

by Anonymousreply 67May 20, 2019 8:42 PM

The boys shared a bottle of vodka as part of a "pre-exam night out" before going on a "rampage".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 20, 2019 8:22 AM

[quote]the teenagers were found in the toilets

Too bad they didn't go in head first and drown.

by Anonymousreply 69August 20, 2019 10:03 AM

i know whodunit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 20, 2019 10:34 AM

Too young to be named and shamed. Not too young to obtain a bottle of vodka. WTF, where did they get the booze? I blame the parents. It was the night before an exam too: they should have been kept at home, not let out to go on a drunken rampage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 20, 2019 11:18 AM

Roddy to the rescue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 13, 2019 9:29 PM

R8 is right. Same in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 73November 13, 2019 9:42 PM

[quote]three teenagers who deliberately trashed a model railway exhibition worth £30,000 have been ordered to pay compensation...their parents were also ordered to pay £500 in compensation.

Oh yeah, that's quite fair.

by Anonymousreply 74November 13, 2019 11:12 PM

[quote] Oh yeah, that's quite fair.

In England it's regarded as fair; in Florida (say) it would be tantamount to the judge suggesting the train set enthusiasts were somehow to blame or, worse, pedophiles.

by Anonymousreply 75November 13, 2019 11:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!