Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grumpy Cat is DEAD TO MEOW

RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 20, 2019 2:35 AM

Aww, that makes me sad. RIP Grumpy cat.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2019 10:40 AM

Sad!

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2019 10:41 AM

Oh, poor thing. Sad news.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2019 10:46 AM

She was a cutie. RIP.

Of course, the death announcement on the official IG neglects to mention that her real name was Tarder Sauce (as in retarded - nice owners, eh?).

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2019 11:14 AM

Wasn't it just Tartar Sauce? Honest question.

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2019 11:18 AM

She was introduced as "Tard" short for "Tardar Sauce" allegeldy because they didn't know how to spell it.

The cat was legitimately what people would be called "retarded", so no one bought it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2019 11:20 AM

Jeez, that's an asshole name to give a cat.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2019 11:22 AM

And she ended up making them millions

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2019 11:23 AM

The owners are scum.

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2019 11:25 AM

“...to meow” is clever, OP. Thank you for the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2019 12:14 PM

Hmm, a telling tweet from Tom&Lorenzo:

[quote]We met that viral feline sensation a couple of years ago at Fashion Week and as long-time cat owners, immediately clocked that she should not have been exposed to that kind of life, we're sorry to say. We hope she felt happiness and peace in her time.

Always suspected as much. Her owners have squeezed every dollar out of her.

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2019 12:19 PM

I'm surprised she was only seven years old. I thought the meme had been around for much longer than that.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2019 12:20 PM

I suspect she'd been in poor health for several years, since there hadn't been any new photos of her in a long time.

Tabatha did very obviously milk the whole thing to death, but it did earn her millions upon millions of dollars. That would be hard to resist, plus there are thousands of other pet owners who are doing the same thing, to a lesser degree. I am complicit since I follow several of those animals on Instagram. I love Crusoe the Celebrity Dachshund, but can't argue that he isn't being (lovingly) exploited.

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2019 12:32 PM

Sad mews.

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2019 12:35 PM

r13 Taking photos of your pets for Insta and maybe coaching them to do specific things for those photos that they sometimes don't want to do is one thing. But Tabatha constantly dragging Grumpy around all over the US to public events always made me cringe. Just doesn't seem like something a cat would enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2019 12:38 PM

Well the cat was retarded, so maybe it didn't affect her the way all the attention would affect a normal cat.

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2019 12:59 PM

R16 I'm coming to shit on your porch!

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2019 1:09 PM

R11, that’s sad if true. Rest in power Tarder (Tarter?)Sauce. Just going by own cats who do not have any major health issues, they could not handle the type of attention these viral pets get.

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2019 1:10 PM

Someone on Twitter posted a photo of himself with Grumpy Cat that was taken in 2016, but I'm not sure how many recent appearances there had been. I'm sure the cat had physical issues.

The girl who owned him was very young and obviously a jerk but hopefully she wasn't mean to the cat.

by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2019 1:11 PM

some of the funniest memes came from that cat.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2019 1:12 PM

It seems odd that Grumpy Cat died from a urinary tract infection "complications" when she was only 7 years old.

Hope she's no longer suffering and I thank her for the laughs.

by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2019 1:27 PM

R21 I almost lost my one year old cat to UTI a couple of months ago. My vet said that some cats don't do well in dealing with UTIs. My cat was refusing to eat canned food and we end up having to feed him liquid foods through syringe. Luckily, he started eating on his own after two weeks and he was meds for almost a month.

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2019 1:45 PM

This is an adorably clever and devastating title, OP

by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2019 1:48 PM

R7, UTIs are usually more of a problem for male cats. You have to spot the signs and react swiftly as it can kill a male cat within a day. I wonder if Grumpy Cat's dwarfism complicated the matter or was it solely the UTI. Cats can get all sorts of life threatening ailments from stress alone so the traveling and contact with strangers probably wasn't ideal for her. I was a fan of the memes and didn't have a problem with the owner capitalizing on the business opportunities, but disagreed with the travel and meet/greet shows for the cat. No matter how luxurious the travel, it's not a lifestyle for cats.

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2019 1:50 PM

Wow it can kill in a day?

I've had my cat on urinary control food since he started developing crystals in his urine, and he's been fine since then.

Poor Grumpy Cat 😕

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2019 1:53 PM

R23 in Europe it would be DEAD TO MIAOW

by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2019 1:54 PM

R22 So glad your cat is doing much better!

Guess I'm being judgmental of the owner, putting Tarder Sauce through all the stress of stardom. Hopefully her owner was attentive and did what she could for her pet's care and comfort.

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2019 1:58 PM

My cats prefer kibble but from the day they were adopted (10 years ago), I made sure their primary food source was canned food. It's the most important factor in preventing UTIs. This is doubly important if the cats are male. Cats aren't big water drinkers so the moisture in canned food is the surest way to keep them hydrated. I even add water to make it a soupy mixture.

Let me clarify, if a cat has UTI BLOCKAGE, it could kill within 24 hours.

A woman told me how much she adored her male cat and that he went to the vet with a UTI blockage. She nearly lost him. But guess what, she kept feeding him kibble because she found canned yucky...I wanted to wring her neck.

by Anonymousreply 28May 17, 2019 2:13 PM

So Sad.... RIP

by Anonymousreply 29May 17, 2019 2:15 PM

Our elderly kitty's kidneys started to decline so we got him a kitty water fountain that he loved. It took him a few days to get used to it but he loved it.

It had to be cleaned weekly; that was a PITA, but worth it to keep him hydrated.

by Anonymousreply 30May 17, 2019 2:20 PM

Seven years is way too young for a house cat to die. The extreme stress that traveling puts on a pet must have contributed to her early demise.

RIP cutie.

by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2019 2:27 PM

Water fountains are a PITA to keep clean. But yeah, I've heard they are great...if the cats use them. I bought a couple but my cats rarely drank from them. It turns out the soupy canned food they get 2X daily is all the hydration they need. My cat sitters tell me they do drink from water bowls when I travel and they only get canned once daily and eat more kibble.

One of the cats I sit for, loves to drink the faucet. He drinks tons of water that way. He's trained us all by jumping onto the kitchen and bathroom counters.

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2019 2:29 PM

My cats love their fountain

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2019 2:40 PM

I had a male cat that had two serious UTIs and we went with the surgery - penectomy. Now he's fine and no more worries. I feed them mostly canned food with just a small handful of dry once a day. Some male cats are more prone to developing the crystals in their urine but I hadn't heard of female cats having the problem.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2019 3:11 PM

My cats love their water fountain as well.

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2019 3:14 PM

The Grumpy Cat movie was low-fi budgeted and looked it but I liked it. The reviews were largely negative but the movie had some good zingers without being mean-spirited and it didn't take itself seriously. I hope it becomes a Christmas movie staple.

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2019 3:26 PM

That cat made them over 100 million dollars!

Anyone know how old she was?

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2019 3:30 PM

Poor baby :(

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2019 3:36 PM

R37 Grumpy was 7. I hope the stress of being dragged around didn't contribute to this cats health issues. Sweet little animal.

by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2019 3:37 PM

The meet and greets were off putting to me. Animals don't experience travel the way that humans do (as an adventure ). It is a stressor. And even some humans hate traveling!

by Anonymousreply 40May 17, 2019 3:39 PM

How do you pronounce their daughter’s name? Chrystal? Cha-Rye-Stal? Christ-Star? Are they white trash?

by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2019 3:39 PM

My husband's cat died of a UTI a few years ago. My vet says it's a new thing - UTIs killing cats despite treatment.

by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2019 3:41 PM

We almost lost a female cat due to a UTI that didn’t respond to antibiotics and progressed to a kidney infection. After three days of hospitalization and lots of money spent, she pulled through with no permanent damage. Poor baby developed an aggressive oral cancer a year later. Shit happens.

by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2019 3:54 PM

UTI? Did her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2019 3:56 PM

I agree with you R24. I wondered if her dwarfism was a complication and agree the travel and exposure to all things playing a role.

But I loved looking at her and some of the tributes have been pretty funny. RIP Grumps.

by Anonymousreply 45May 17, 2019 4:00 PM

Poor kittah. UTIs are painful and that's a sucky way to die. RIP, Grumps, now you can't be exploited anymore and the gravy train is over.

Traveling is bad for anyone, let alone a sensitive animal with special needs, and it dries you the hell out. This cat needed a calm, stable home with access to water all the time. Too bad the owner's greed took precedence.

It's my opinion, btw, what this owner is and how they treated this being. Most people consider their pets exploitable, so have at it and attack at will. It won't change how I feel about it.

by Anonymousreply 46May 17, 2019 4:05 PM

W&W for OP. Another fun title under the DL's unique parameters for death announcements. Two in one week!

by Anonymousreply 47May 17, 2019 4:10 PM

The flat face cats aren't usually allowed to travel by air because they have trouble breathing at altitude. I hope she didn't drag her along on planes too.

by Anonymousreply 48May 17, 2019 4:11 PM

So we’ve determined that the owners permanently wounded GC’s self esteem by calling him “Tardar” and that he died under suspicious circumstances? Just trying to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 49May 17, 2019 4:38 PM

I hear Grumpy Cat's owners have already sold the rights to his image to Cirque du Soleil for a tribute show!

by Anonymousreply 50May 17, 2019 4:40 PM

What a sweet little thing. She deserved better owners than she got but then again, don't they all?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 17, 2019 5:15 PM

Poor pussy, poor pussy cat!

by Anonymousreply 52May 17, 2019 5:39 PM

The original story that I tend to believe was grumpy was found with a starving litter of kittens. Two had the deformities of grumpy cat. The owner nursed them back to health and realized grumpy and her brother would need special care so they kept her and the brother was given to a family member.

I believe the story because it rings as true. I would have done the same thing.

Grumpy and her brother besides being physically challenged had issues with intelligence. Hence the name I refuse to call her by. If they had planned on making money on her I don't believe they would have chose the name they did.

So basically humans did a good deed and it happened to bring them money. Can't blame them for taking it. I hope it encourages others to do better by animals.

Grumpy was a working animal. There are a lot of them in this world. I hope she was as loved as she appeared but she had a cushy life for a working girl.

by Anonymousreply 53May 17, 2019 6:47 PM

Cats don't have the same standards we do for what constitutes a "cushy life", r53.

by Anonymousreply 54May 17, 2019 7:31 PM

He personally met and had a photo shoot with grumpy actress Aubrey Plaza. He was not impressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 17, 2019 7:45 PM

I would assume that Grumpy would have gotten the best of care, regular check ups etc, since he was bringing in millions of dollars for the owners. And Grumpy's vet also would have been well-paid so it would have been in the vet's best interest financially to inform the owners of any problems with Grumpy's health.

by Anonymousreply 56May 17, 2019 7:56 PM

Grumpy Cat died because some DLers have not yet figured out he was a she.

by Anonymousreply 57May 17, 2019 8:42 PM

In 20 years we'll find out in an unauthorized biography that he died of feline AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 58May 17, 2019 8:59 PM

Grumpy cat died because y'all touch yourselves at night.

by Anonymousreply 59May 17, 2019 8:59 PM

And it seems to me you lived your life

Like a cat in a bad mood

Never knowing who to frown at

In a photoshoot

by Anonymousreply 60May 17, 2019 9:06 PM

OP ......... That Title !

Despite my sadness, you made me giggle.

by Anonymousreply 61May 17, 2019 9:12 PM

R56 Grumpy suffered from feline dwarfism and other ailments, a well documented fact. She had the best care, and was well loved not only by her owners, but by people all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 62May 17, 2019 9:15 PM

OP ......... That Title !

Despite my sadness, you made me giggle.

Ha! I agree. That was a good one.

by Anonymousreply 63May 17, 2019 9:41 PM

Well at least she got to meet some hotties along the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 18, 2019 12:15 AM

[quote]In 20 years we'll find out in an unauthorized biography that he died of feline AIDS.

It’s the number one killer of domestic cats.

by Anonymousreply 65May 18, 2019 2:44 AM

Was she a Weinstein girl?

by Anonymousreply 66May 18, 2019 3:16 AM

Aww. I loved Grumpy Cat.

by Anonymousreply 67May 18, 2019 3:18 AM

I don’t know her.

by Anonymousreply 68May 18, 2019 3:31 AM

So did the owners steal the joke? They sound kind of awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 18, 2019 3:37 AM

God bless her soul. I hope she is in kitty heaven.

by Anonymousreply 70May 18, 2019 3:41 AM

R69- I thought it was the original video of Grumpy that went viral? That's the first thing that people saw of the cat and it wasn't until later that the memes started popping up. "I had fun once...it was awful" isn't the only caption on Grumpy's picture- there are a ton of them out there- "I hate mornings...and morning...and people", "Stop and smell the roses...I saw some on the freeway."

I think it's a bit much to assume that the owners "stole" this deliberately.

by Anonymousreply 71May 18, 2019 4:23 AM

Grumpy is looking down on us from The Rainbow Bridge.

And she's smiling.

by Anonymousreply 72May 18, 2019 4:40 AM

A few other gems from Grumpy .........

😾 "If you're happy and you know it, go to hell."

😾 "If I said anything to offend you, I meant it."

😾 "Scared of clowns? Good!"

😾 "I like the sound you make when you shut up."

by Anonymousreply 73May 18, 2019 4:55 AM

[Quote] "I hate mornings...and morning...and people"

Lol something we have in common.

by Anonymousreply 74May 18, 2019 10:33 AM

"There isn't enough coffee in the world to make me rise and shine."

by Anonymousreply 75May 18, 2019 3:57 PM

Bitch stole my act!

by Anonymousreply 76May 18, 2019 4:15 PM

It's being reported that they abused that cat. Drugged him all the time.

by Anonymousreply 77May 18, 2019 4:42 PM

Well, that's a downer, R77. No wonder she was so grumpy.

I've just been to the shops, and I saw Grumpy Cat on the front of several newspapers. Quite a surreal moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 18, 2019 4:51 PM

All nine so soon?

by Anonymousreply 79May 18, 2019 4:54 PM

R71, I read it was a picture of her that went viral. After people claimed it was altered or photoshopped, the owners made a video to prove it wasn’t. That’s when it supposedly took off.

by Anonymousreply 80May 18, 2019 6:45 PM

R77, where did you read that?

by Anonymousreply 81May 18, 2019 6:53 PM

Grumpy suffered from dwarfism, and also an overbite, thus giving her the appearance of a perpetual frown. I don't believe for a second She was abused. She was a very friendly cat toward strangers, and I do believe she was loved and cherished by her owner. You have to be a very special person to adopt an animal with birth defects & health issues, and I believe Grumpy's owner was such a person.

by Anonymousreply 82May 18, 2019 7:05 PM

r82. It had health issues so what better to deal with it than drag the poor cat to countless conventions? I’m not saying I blame them for trading their cats health for millions of dollars, I mean who wouldn’t but cut the shit with how great they were.

by Anonymousreply 83May 18, 2019 7:35 PM

People on Twitter who had pics taken with her said she was often lethargic and would barely ooen her eyes.

But as I said, I don't know that she did appearances after 2016 so they may have stopped because of stress or because it was hurting her. She had no appearances for her latest book, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 84May 19, 2019 5:12 AM

Lesson for DL'ers: Your grumpy ass can't live forever! Grumpiness kills!

by Anonymousreply 85May 19, 2019 5:19 AM

The owners did not adopt her, she was part of a litter of cats that was born in their home. They owned the mother cat, and Tard was from the second litter that was born in their home.

by Anonymousreply 86May 19, 2019 5:20 AM

[quote] She had no appearances for her latest book

We are talking about a cat, right?

by Anonymousreply 87May 19, 2019 5:27 AM

Pretty sure Millie had at least a few appearance for "her" book, r87, so cut the faux indignation. If it was good enough for your sister in cuntitude Bar Bush it's good enough for any other pet.

by Anonymousreply 88May 19, 2019 5:32 AM

So you wrote something stupid. R88. It's anonymous. Take a deep breath.

by Anonymousreply 89May 19, 2019 5:36 AM

So young.

by Anonymousreply 90May 19, 2019 6:09 AM

Yes, R88, dogs are well-known for disliking new environments and attention from strangers.

by Anonymousreply 91May 19, 2019 6:45 AM

I remember the year she was at SXSW the line to meet her was two city blocks deep.

by Anonymousreply 92May 19, 2019 7:41 AM

No idea what r91 means by that, or why anyone would pretend to not know that animals featured in and/or who "write" books make appearances to promote it.

Even though more Grumpy Cat books were coming out recently, the cat wasn't doing promotions anymore, best I can tell.

by Anonymousreply 93May 19, 2019 11:00 AM

My sister and her husband drove an hour, and stood in line longer to see this cat. I really don't understand why. I was hoping someone could tell me why. They are both educated, if not completely intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 94May 19, 2019 11:06 AM

[quote]I remember the year she was at SXSW

Is this some sort of S&M club?

We may have something here.

by Anonymousreply 95May 19, 2019 12:01 PM

South By Southwest. R95. It is a music and art festival in Austin, Tx. There is likely BDSM somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 96May 19, 2019 12:27 PM

Everybody loves Grumpy. I sure did.

I'll miss my friend ^_^

by Anonymousreply 97May 20, 2019 2:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!