Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Gays and Tennis Part 41 - Pre-French Embrace of Death

Based on feedback on the last thread I determined to yet again put two cover boys in an embrace of death. We need new blood as the champion of Roland Garros! May the cover boys jinx themselves in their embrace to the death.

¡Vamos!

Boobs out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601May 26, 2019 6:10 PM

Nole will win Roland Garros this year. End of

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2019 4:18 PM

Yeah Nole might ditch Rome but he'll be deadly at Roland Garros. Rafa is psyched out right now.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2019 5:01 PM

Rafa’s face looks hot there.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2019 5:19 PM

Where’s Jeff Giloolly when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2019 5:20 PM

next time. skip part. because it leads to greying of the thread . Also, try to write forty-two instead of 42

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2019 5:22 PM

Nike's Roland Garros Collection looks a little....gothic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2019 5:26 PM

More like Little Shop of Horrors...

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2019 5:28 PM

to the person who asked at the end of last thread, I read the Janowicz homophobic twitter thread and someone wrote his comment on the 2 guys kissing pic translates to

[quote]Everything is great but it is too much for me"

so he didn't use any slurs but clearly he's not a friend to us

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2019 5:32 PM

The vomiting, angry emojis were as bad as any slurs. He's just a mindless knee-jerk jumping onto the Polish populist bandwagon to bash gays. As if anyone gives any weight to what a balding 28-year-old tennis has-been thinks anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2019 5:39 PM

French open

Out SHARAPOVA, MARIA

In MINELLA, MANDY

Next VOEGELE, STEFANIE

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2019 5:54 PM

darn. I was looking forward to Sharapova suffering a humiliating loss again. When Muguruza whooped her ass last year I was ecstatic

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2019 5:59 PM

Agreed R11. And I normally can't stand Muguruza, she has a horrible attitude and plays terribly for 95% of the year. But she really did the lord's work that day!

Meldonia now hasn't played since the Australian Open and with the loss of her fluke QF points at RG (walkover from Serena) will tumble quite far down the rankings. I wonder how long she plans to hang on to her tennis career for? At this stage she can't even make it through a full tournament. In Shenzhen she was getting hit off the court by a 15 year old Chinese player. And then retired out of shame when Sabalenka was giving her a beatdown. Does she really still think she can contend for slams? No dope, no hope.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2019 6:03 PM

I’m still hoping for one last Sharadopa/Serena match before they both retire.

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2019 6:09 PM

That OP pic is very intimate.

Nobody cares about what Jerzy thinks, he is a has been that never was good in first place. When some athletes made this type of outlandish comments and they are from countries with homophobic goverments i always think there's something more than spread their homophobia, there is something more to gain.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2019 6:15 PM

THE WHOLE DAY WAS RAINED OUT TODAY....NOOOOOOOOO!

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2019 6:44 PM

For you Maria fans ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2019 6:57 PM

Kyrgios gave an interview to Ben Rothemberg and well, it's not something to be missed.

He seems to really hate Djokovic and he is not too fond of Nadal either.

I read an excerpt on a spanish blog so it's centered on his opinions of spanish players, he likes Feliciano and CSN (he says he would like to play mixed doubles with her) and he can't stand Verdasco (who he says it's the most arrogant player on tour).

He talks about Tsitsipas too, he says he likes him and he would like to play doubles with him but he fears being a bad influence on someone who is very focused on his goals

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2019 7:00 PM

He is an absolute disgrace, R17. Some of the things he said about Novak are truly awful. And he wants to come across as this rebel...wearing black to a white party...ooooh, tough guy. Or partying till 4:30 am every day during a tournament he won. He is incredibly immature. (All this I read, I most certainly didn't waste my time listening to it)

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2019 7:07 PM

wow lol he speaks the way we at DL write about Djokovic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2019 7:19 PM

i hope they play each other soon, preferably at Wimbledon. They could go at it and horrify the delicate British crowds and press

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2019 7:20 PM

Wow I didn't expect that Ben R/Nick K podcast.

I have so much more respect for both of them right now. Where the fuck did that come?

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2019 7:33 PM

Who is the DL Fave in the c*nt off between Collins and Muguruza when the matches resume?

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2019 7:49 PM

They are very different Collins is bratty and Muguruza is cold and throws shade like a pro. It'll be an interesting match

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2019 8:02 PM

[quote]Nole will win Roland Garros this year. End of

...story?

[quote]Where the fuck did that come?

...from?

It's Andy Murray's (32nd) birthday!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2019 8:05 PM

[quote]Collins is bratty

Collins has been pretty 'coy' since the Australian Open...maybe because her results haven't been that great

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2019 8:12 PM

i'm glad another player has called out Djokovic's desperation to be liked and his very calculated/phony behavior from the boobs out shit to the rest

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2019 8:24 PM

Kyrgios shouldn't be so cocky about his 2-0 record against Djokovic. Both matches were in 2017 when Djokovic was shitting the bed. The Djokovic who won the Australian this year would destroy Kyrgios.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2019 9:13 PM

The boobs out shtick is desperate

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2019 9:14 PM

Nick should stop shilling for misery. Misery is ovah . And very soon he will be too

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2019 9:27 PM

And yet I’m very fond of Kyrgios. And loathe Djokovic, and his boobs thing. And his making the sign of the cross heavenward when he wins. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2019 9:33 PM

Does Nick read DL?

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2019 9:39 PM

Almost all the players tomorrow are going to have to win both of their singles matches to get to the quarters. Diego, Shapo, Verdasco, Thiem could all be playing two singles and a doubles match in quick succession.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2019 9:57 PM

wow this is fascinating. Nadal has the easiest path though. He'll have to beat Chardy and then Basilashvili (who won his match on Tuesday). Lucky for Nadal neither of them are great clay courters.

Djokovic has the most fair deal as he'll have to beat Shapovalov but then his next opponent will be Kohlschreiber or Cecchinato.

Federer is going to have trouble. He'll certainly beat Sousa but then he's got a fully rested Coric waiting for him later that night.

Venus thanks to her walkover can be fully rested and await either Stephens or Konta

Azarenka awaits the winner of Muguruza/Collins

Pliskova awaits the winner of Keys/Kenin

Barty awaits winner of Bencic/Mladenovic

Khachanov awaits winner of Thiem/Verdasco

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2019 10:47 PM

Nick should do a weekly podcast of him bitching about other players. It's not as though he's wasting his time practicing.

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2019 10:53 PM

I do like how Kyrgios shouted out his admiration of CSN. That was unexpected

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2019 11:02 PM

[quote] next time. skip part. because it leads to greying of the thread . Also, try to write forty-two instead of 42

Why does that make a difference?

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2019 3:10 AM

[quote] Meldonia now hasn't played since the Australian Open and with the loss of her fluke QF points at RG (walkover from Serena) will tumble quite far down the rankings. I wonder how long she plans to hang on to her tennis career for? At this stage she can't even make it through a full tournament.

Cut her some slack! She has a heart condition.

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2019 3:16 AM

[quote] THE WHOLE DAY WAS RAINED OUT TODAY....NOOOOOOOOO! —life is over until tomorrow

Dead. Totally dead.

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2019 3:18 AM

[quote] CSN (he says he would like to play mixed doubles with her)

Mixed?

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2019 3:21 AM

it'd be awesome if Kyrgios and CSN started dating

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2019 3:22 AM

[quote] It's Andy Murray's (32nd) birthday!

Misery team. I wish him the best. I know he likely won't play competitively again, but he's a great person.

by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2019 3:23 AM

[quote] boobs out shit

[quote] boobs out shtick

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2019 3:25 AM

[quote] his boobs thing

by Anonymousreply 43May 16, 2019 3:29 AM

[quote] Nick should do a weekly podcast of him bitching about other players. It's not as though he's wasting his time practicing.

Completely agree.

by Anonymousreply 44May 16, 2019 3:30 AM

The biggest surprise is that Nick even knows who CSN is lol. I do like what he said about Tsitsipas and his goals.

Venus is so lucky with these delays and withdrawals! Especially after her 3hr shitfest of an opening match. She is going to be able to feast on the scraps of Sloane or Konta after they've already played a match. Watch her cock it up somehow though...

Also just back to the Svitolina thing for a second, I guess it's more on other sites that she cops a lot of hate (it's probably mostly for her slam results and tacky photoshoots). I know her game isn't the most appealing, but she seems like a really nice girl. Does a lot for charity and she's always so lovely when opponents are injured in a match (Zhang Shuai, Buzarnescu). It came out today on twitter that she privately paid 12,000 euros for a young Ukranian player's knee surgery here in Rome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 16, 2019 3:36 AM

[quote] he is going to be able to feast on the scraps of Sloane or Konta

They all want to feast on scraps of Kont!

by Anonymousreply 46May 16, 2019 3:42 AM

It's hilarious that you think Nick READS, R31. Every time he plays, I hope that he will have a compound leg fracture and writhe on the ground for a while before they use a broom to push him to the side of the court. He is scum.

by Anonymousreply 47May 16, 2019 3:43 AM

R37: She has a heart?

by Anonymousreply 48May 16, 2019 5:06 AM

16 y/o Daria Lopatetska underwent a knee surgery in Italy, her recovery process will take "long weeks or maybe months". Her family is thankful for all kind of help from the Ukrainian people & Elina Svitolina 👇

by Anonymousreply 49May 16, 2019 5:49 AM

Ben Rothenberg thinks he's a journalist but he's really just a gossip columnist.

Yes, Djokovic wants to be liked. What's wrong with that? Why is that a bad thing? I can get behind people not liking his game, or how he loses his temper sometimes with ball kids, etc. but I've never understood disliking someone for their desire to be well-liked. Same for Azarenka, who seems to suffer the same fate among the women.

I'm not even sure what Kyrgios' problem with Nadal is. Nor do I care. Kyrgios is just the "mean girl" writing the burn book on his fellow players because he's unable to deliver with results. And Ben is the "gossip girl" sharing the message so he can get more twitter followers. They're both just a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2019 8:21 AM

TC gets a yellow card for showing Gramps routining Sousa and not Verdasco upsetting Domi in 3.

by Anonymousreply 51May 16, 2019 10:56 AM

I listened to the Rothberg interview, and, it was interesting, and I continue to enjoy NK as a player and personality. Big fan.

That being said, regarding the interview, and, informed some by a poster on the most recent thread who said he knows (or knew) Ben, this is what it sounded like to me: Ben has a not-so-transparent crush on NK. NK seems to realize this and seems to me to be very comfortable with gays. Ben's speech was so rapid-fire (not sure if it always is or not?), and he fawned on NK non-stop. Ben is often informative and I follow him, so, I suppose I need to acknowledge that, but I agree that even on points and personalities that I agree with him, he does come off as a gossip columnist.

Ben's past tweets to NK seem desperate, and I recall one in which he tweeted something along the lines of, "what are you doing tonight? Call me!" as if they were buds. I'm assuming NK is a good sport and maybe enjoys the attention, but Ben seems to be unabashedly in love with NK.

by Anonymousreply 52May 16, 2019 11:07 AM

^ hard to fathom, but I guess there's no accounting for taste

by Anonymousreply 53May 16, 2019 11:08 AM

[quote] Verdasco upsetting Domi in 3

Domi lost and Mladonna won!

by Anonymousreply 54May 16, 2019 11:36 AM

Ugh. I hope it's the opposite result at RG. Mlad the Impaler is really gaining form though. It's not even that she's playing better under Bajin (yet), but she just seems to have so much more confidence on the court. Not DFing on every single break point like she has for the past year.

Still, we're already seeing a lot of tanks and retirements (Goerges, Cornet) today. Not many are up to the challenge of winning 2 matches in one day and still possibly going deep in this tournament right before Roland Garros. So some of these results have a slight asterisk next to them.

I actually got the same 'obsessive schoolgirl crush' vibe from Rothenburg to Kyrgios. He's antagonising him because he wants that reaction. And yes, NK is very comfortable with gays and definitely enjoys teasing him back and getting that attention. It's high school all over again.

by Anonymousreply 55May 16, 2019 12:02 PM

[quote]but Ben seems to be unabashedly in love with NK.

And, dear DLers, so am I. He’s unfiltered (so refreshing in the tennis world of carefully-crafted PR drivel and pablum) and iconoclastic (would anyone else who plays tennis dare say what 80% of tennis fans and 99% of DLers think about Djokovic and his cringeworthy sucking up to the public?). That, and I love his Austrian wog accent, which he wears with pride.

by Anonymousreply 56May 16, 2019 12:12 PM

^I meant AUSTRALIAN wog accent, of course.

by Anonymousreply 57May 16, 2019 12:13 PM

I think both BR and NK came across very well in that interview. If BR had had his NYT hat on it would have been rubbish. I like with podcasts how tennis people can say what they like.

by Anonymousreply 58May 16, 2019 12:16 PM

Well tennis does benefit from bad boys. But we already have Tomic, and it's hard to out-douche that.

by Anonymousreply 59May 16, 2019 12:35 PM

I completely agree, R50!

by Anonymousreply 60May 16, 2019 12:47 PM

Kyrgios just defaulted. Does anyone know why?

by Anonymousreply 61May 16, 2019 1:29 PM

He was throwing shit on the court and arguing with a fan. He aint right...

by Anonymousreply 62May 16, 2019 1:30 PM

I think he said something bad to the chair ump, got docked a game, and started throwing chairs. Then he was defaulted.

by Anonymousreply 63May 16, 2019 1:37 PM

Thanks, R62. I just read he threw a folding chair among other things.

by Anonymousreply 64May 16, 2019 1:38 PM

Bitch be cray

by Anonymousreply 65May 16, 2019 1:39 PM

R50: You can say whatever you want about him, but he did the right questions where most journalist only praise and kiss the ass of the player. In fact some things are very interesting on that podcast.

And i don't know what's his problem with Nadal, but Nadal's problem with him it's very obvious, he lost a couple of times. I think Nadal can bear being defeated from people he considers his equals but losing to someone with that work ethic is tough for him. And Rafa is not a good loser.

Saying that, Kyrgios needs to tone down or he will end being expelled. I wouldn't mind his bad boy pose and his big mouth but his court behaviour is hideous

I hope Lopatetska recovers well. And i'm one of the few that likes Svitolina's game

by Anonymousreply 66May 16, 2019 1:47 PM

Hahahaha Kyrgios. Djoko fans getting some welcome relief balm for those salt burn wounds from yesterday.

Anyone know when that podcast was actually recorded?

by Anonymousreply 67May 16, 2019 1:55 PM

[quote][R50]: You can say whatever you want about him, but he did the right questions where most journalist only praise and kiss the ass of the player. In fact some things are very interesting on that podcast.

Gossip can be interesting.

I'm not commenting on the podcast w/ Kyrgios because I haven't listened to it, but one of my critiques of Ben is that he *doesn't* pose questions correctly, as a journalist should, and instead asks long-winded questions to insert his own viewpoints into the discussion. If he's improved in that area, then bravo to him.

The video of the Djokovic press conference making the rounds had a lot of back and forth between Novak and Ben. And that's where Ben got distracted in that exchange. He started out asking Djokovic who he was voting for in the board election, and by midway through, he's pushing Djokovic to comment on what his (Ben's) unidentified sources were telling him. In my opinion, an experienced journalist would approach Djokovic and ask for more information and more transparency about the election and ongoing search for the new ATP president. And if Djokovic is evasive and gives non-answers, ask follow-up questions: "Can you elaborate on that?" "What specifically are you looking for in a candidate?" Etc. if Djokovic still refuses to answer, then there's your story.

Instead, Ben floats out a rumor he heard, dresses it up as "his sources say", and asks for a comment. Gossip.

by Anonymousreply 68May 16, 2019 2:18 PM

I can't believe what a fucking child Kyrgios is! Grow the fuck up already. His parents must be so proud!

by Anonymousreply 69May 16, 2019 2:45 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 16, 2019 2:47 PM

After appearing to question something with an official, footage shows Kyrgios furiously smashed his racket into the ground before kicking something along the floor.

As he made his way back to his court-side seat, the Australian then picked up a chair and threw it onto the court while the Italian crowd booed.

He then sat down before instantly returning to his feet and protesting further. He said: 'F****** retard bro. Why are you walking across court as I am serving? I don't want to play. Why would I play?

'I am giving 100 per cent to deal with f****** idiots like him, I'm done. I'm f****** done. I'm f****** done with it. I don't give a f***.'

There seems to be some suggestion that he was put off during his serve by somebody in the stadium.

Kyrgios will now forfeit all of the prize money he won at the event and will have to give up his complimentary hotel.

The 24-year-old will also face a major offence investigation, which could lead to serious consequences given his on-court record over the years.

Kyrgios later took to his Twitter account and mocked the celebrations from his opponent after he won by default.

He wrote: 'Hahahaha' and added two crying laughing emojis in response.

The incident on Thursday is far from the first controversy Kyrgios has been involved in.

He was given a ban by the ATP in 2016 after walking off court midway through a match against Mischa Zverev at the Shanghai Masters and may well find himself suspended again.

Kyrgios' antics came only 24 hours after he laid into the sport's biggest stars in an interview on the No Challenges Remaining podcast, saying he 'could not stand' Novak Djokovic and calling Rafael Nadal 'super salty'.

by Anonymousreply 71May 16, 2019 2:48 PM

R59 Tomic is a complete has-been though. Kyrgios, despite his faults, is still a contender.

by Anonymousreply 72May 16, 2019 2:58 PM

Yeah, with Kyrgios, bitch be cray.

Nadal struggles with Kyrgios because Kyrgios does not allow Nadal to get in a rhythm. Kyrgios is very unpredictable and it rattles Nadal. Nick can hit a screaming winner or some cutesy drop shot, both coming out of nowhere. Plus Kyrgios has a really good serve when it's on. Kyrgios additionally is tall with a two-handed backhand, so he can handle Nadal's high bouncing shots.

It's too bad Kyrgios is is a lazy, crazy motherfucker. He is so, so talented. Imagine if he harnessed that talent?

by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2019 3:04 PM

Lil Diego took down lovely Matteo 😒

by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2019 3:27 PM

Kyrgios is 24. Tomic is 26. Neither one seems to be able to find the discipline to filter their commentary or the work ethic that turns a whiner with great talent into a winner with no excuses. At this rate they can both expect flatlined careers that were more about piss, vinegar and unrealized potential that never got to where it could and should have.

by Anonymousreply 75May 16, 2019 3:29 PM

I was shocked about Thiem....we will see what happens now with Fed, Nadal and Djoko playing again

by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2019 3:34 PM

The Fog is through. My, his ass looks perky in those white shorts 🍑

by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2019 3:37 PM

It's so refreshing to have a not just a tennis player but an "iconclast", who's brave enough to be honest with his feelings and throw a chair, call everybody "fucking idiots" and walk off the court. His follow-up tweet mocking his opponents win was truly revolutionary. Bravo! I love that when he's frustrated and not getting his way he can be honest and slut-shame one of his peers and try to embarrass his opponents. His authenticity is as refreshing as his hair-do's. Here on DL we know he's right, those fans ARE fucking idiots and Vecic IS a whore. Also, that hideous chair deserved to be thrown out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 16, 2019 3:38 PM

- Tsitsipas and Fognini both win their matches to set up a very exciting encounter. Can't wait for that one.

- Kohlschreiber will face Djokovic again (3rd time this year), after beating Cecchinato.

- Azarenka defeats Garbage Muguruza.

- Vondrousova beats Halep AGAIN. Took 3 sets (Halep tried a tactical MTO but it didn't work). Halep's RU points from last year drop off.

- Jo Konta beats both Sloth Stephens and an extremely crippled Venus Williams to make the QF.

- Mlad the Impaler beats both Belinda Bencic (in 3) and Ash Barty (in 2). Very good wins even though clay is not their best surface.

by Anonymousreply 79May 16, 2019 3:39 PM

Now this is something I want to see-

[quote]‘The celebration just kills me. Every time it does… it kills me. If I play him and beat him again, I’m doing the celebration in front of him [laughing]… that would be hilarious!’

by Anonymousreply 80May 16, 2019 3:49 PM

[R80] me too, oh, please, I hope we get to see it soon.

by Anonymousreply 81May 16, 2019 3:52 PM

Isn't Kyrgios likely to be suspended for a while?

by Anonymousreply 82May 16, 2019 4:01 PM

Yes, and then Djokovic could kick a bottle, throw a chair, call Nicks girl a slut , dye his hair pink, shave a Z in his head, and scream at the fans, "I'm so EDGY"

by Anonymousreply 83May 16, 2019 4:08 PM

Gramps arguing with the umpire. Coric [correctly] stopped the point to say Federer hit the ball out, and the umpire checked and it was. Federer whining that Coric said 'out' too late (he didn't).

Coric is currently 5-1 up.

by Anonymousreply 84May 16, 2019 4:10 PM

Gramps gets cranky when he’s losing

by Anonymousreply 85May 16, 2019 4:21 PM

Nick and Nole lethally choking each other at net at the end of their match would be the perfect ending for all of us. Both are blight on the tennis landscape.

by Anonymousreply 86May 16, 2019 4:21 PM

Very few people can make me root for Nole. Miss Nick Krygois is one of the people

by Anonymousreply 87May 16, 2019 4:23 PM

ATP culture is so PC. Nick K should be easily banned for at least 3 months

by Anonymousreply 88May 16, 2019 4:25 PM

Where can I find Kyrgios' Italian meltdown on youtube?

by Anonymousreply 89May 16, 2019 4:25 PM

Now Gramps is complaining that when the tournament workers came to maintain the clay after he lost the first, set they put too much water on the court. LOL.

If Coric beats this sulk today (and I hope he does) he'll have done so on all 3 surfaces.

by Anonymousreply 90May 16, 2019 4:26 PM

Wpw !! Elder bi Nando won two marathon 3 sets match today against much younger and fitter opponents. Beating Thiem on clay is no joke. And Karen looked solid today

by Anonymousreply 91May 16, 2019 4:30 PM

Iron Man Verdasco

by Anonymousreply 92May 16, 2019 4:31 PM

Federina lost 1st set. Hope he loses the match. Can’t stand that arrogant prick.

by Anonymousreply 93May 16, 2019 4:34 PM

Kyrgios on Verdasco “He’s the most arrogant person ever. He thinks he’s god’s gift but like, dude, your backhand’s pretty average”

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2019 4:38 PM

35-year-old Verdasco spends 6 sets and 4 hours, 54 minutes on court to defeat [5] ThiemDomi and [11] KarenKhachanov at #IBI19. Verdasco is scheduled for one more match today alongside Denis_Shapo in doubles 2R.

by Anonymousreply 95May 16, 2019 4:41 PM

Verdasco has always been super fit. Didn’t he play a nearly 6 hour semi v Rafa at Oz?

by Anonymousreply 96May 16, 2019 4:45 PM

Drama queen. Why has he always been angry about his small Malay cock?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 16, 2019 4:55 PM

There is no way Federer comes even close to SF in best of 5 tournament on clay.

by Anonymousreply 98May 16, 2019 5:03 PM

Congrats, R97, on finding an even lower level of bogan wit than Kyrgios'.

by Anonymousreply 99May 16, 2019 5:14 PM

Bogan video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 16, 2019 5:33 PM

I gather the players are not happy in general with how the Rome tournament has been run- lots of angry Tweets from many of them. Nick is a meathead. He has been dissing Nadal, Djokovic and Verdasco- among others. I time all his competition will learn how to ignore his antics and he will just do himself in more consistently. It's already happening.

by Anonymousreply 101May 16, 2019 5:45 PM

NK has alluded to having some mental health issues in the past. I genuinely don't think he wants to be out there. He's so ridiculously naturally talented he's earned a tonne of money without having to put in much effort, but I don't think he's enjoyed much of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he just walks away from the game after this.

by Anonymousreply 102May 16, 2019 5:52 PM

Coric is a loser and he will always be.

by Anonymousreply 103May 16, 2019 6:10 PM

Looking at the draw, I'm thinking his meltdown was to avoid being Boobs Out's bitch! He knows he'd be humiliated and to have to sit on court while Novak shoved his tits in his face and Nick would have to sit there and take it like the huge cunt that he is. Planned default. I seem to remember him avoiding Stan for a couple of tournaments also.

by Anonymousreply 104May 16, 2019 6:12 PM

I bet you're quite the winner, R103.

by Anonymousreply 105May 16, 2019 6:13 PM

R105: What i am doesn't change the fact that he is not made to be a number one. He has the skills but he doesn't have the mentality. He should have won this match but once again he was unable to do it.

The fact that someone like him, who has big wins (titles and he defeated Nadal and Federer before) is unable to crack the top 10 says a lot

by Anonymousreply 106May 16, 2019 6:16 PM

WTF and Coric's forehand fails him AGAIN. He had 5-2 in the tiebreak then 6-4 on his serve. He missed a few forehands. The final point was a missed backhand volley.

Can't believe old ass Federer won 2 matches today and 1 of them was this marathon. Truly pathetic on Coric's part. Nadal with his fragile body likely will too as Basilashvili sucks on clay

Sloane another WTF loss. Konta is horrible on clay. Sloane was up a set and it looked like she was going to win in 2. She must have completely given up in the third set.

Shocked at Mladenovic winning 2 matches especially over Bencic and Barty

solid wins for Osaka today

by Anonymousreply 107May 16, 2019 6:17 PM

there's no doubt that Kyrgios will be suspended from tour for several weeks if not months. He'll likely miss Wimbledon which is a shame as he could do wonders there. I was hoping for a Djokovic/Kyrgios rematch soon. I enjoy Nick's game when he's in good form and his candor but I don't like his tantrums and quitting like this is disgraceful

by Anonymousreply 108May 16, 2019 6:19 PM

To be fair, Verdasco IS one of the biggest douchebags on tour. With his selective grunting, fake MTOs, tantrums at the umpire, teenage girl level thirst traps on IG, fake tanning, and general bad taste... he is a dick during matches and walks around like a peacock. "Arrogant" is the right word. Not to say that Nick isn't arrogant himself. But he clearly doesn't like Fiasco after the latter's incident with Kokkinakis (where he was being a cunt).

I'm so disappointed in Coric. This is the 2nd time in two weeks Fed has gotten away with an opponent choking multiple MPs against him (Monfils in Madrid). They're letting him off the hook too easily. I also wanted him to silence the incredibly rude crowd who were whistling between his first and second serves, and booing every time a close Federer ball was called out.

by Anonymousreply 109May 16, 2019 6:20 PM

I think Nick is one injury or one meltdown away from retirement. Demolition derby tennis, I think fans are going to try and bait him in the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 16, 2019 6:20 PM

And pray Tsitsipas to win today because Fognini is totally useless against Federer.

Yes, Kyrgios is totally right, Verdasco is arrogant unless you are a celebrity (even an minor one) in that case he is nice.

by Anonymousreply 111May 16, 2019 6:21 PM

Kyrgios will walk away from tennis. He has no interest in it.

by Anonymousreply 112May 16, 2019 6:23 PM

it's really shocking that Verdasco is now 4-0 vs. Thiem. Thiem has shown he can beat Nadal. Verdasco certainly hits harder than Nadal especially on the forehand side and serve but his backhand is attackable, he's much less consistent and while a decent mover, not as fast. I don't understand how Thiem can be owned by Verdasco but highly competitive against Nadal.

and Verdasco has now beaten Khachanov in back-to-back weeks.

What does it say about the ATP that so many old men are winning 2 matches today? The younger generation really needs to get their shit together.

by Anonymousreply 113May 16, 2019 6:27 PM

R112: If he had not interest he should quit.

It's a little tiresome when some players complaint about how much they dislike the sport but they keep playing.

Agassi did it all the time, he was a millionaire, he could retire ten years before but he kept playing and playing.

Thiem will never be a dominant player (not even on clay). He has all the weapons but in my opinion he'll be more like Wawrinka, unstoppable when he is on fire but not on fire too many times

by Anonymousreply 114May 16, 2019 6:28 PM

€20,000 fine for Kyrgios + forfeit of ranking points and prize money

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 16, 2019 6:29 PM

R115 yes but that's before the investigation. He will certainly be suspended.

I agree with others here that I could envision Kyrgios possibly retiring for good.

He needs to get some perspective. He gets to play a game and make millions from it. He's naturally talented and doesn't train as hard as most others. If he doesn't want to play tennis what doe he want to do? He's not good enough of a basketball player to go pro. I think he would get bored if he only worked on his foundation. He'll regret it if he does leave tennis

by Anonymousreply 116May 16, 2019 6:33 PM

add Del Potro to the old man list of winning twice today. Goffin and Ruud both in straights

by Anonymousreply 117May 16, 2019 6:35 PM

And Nadal is on the verge of losing two games in two matches.

Sometimes the level of atp looks pathetic. Nadal is not even remotely at his best level

by Anonymousreply 118May 16, 2019 6:43 PM

Nadal had the easiest road today of anyone playing 2 matches. Chardy and Basilashvili aren't clay players

by Anonymousreply 119May 16, 2019 6:44 PM

That's not excuse to win only one game

by Anonymousreply 120May 16, 2019 6:49 PM

R104, I agree. I know some people like this lol

by Anonymousreply 121May 16, 2019 6:51 PM

R106, I'll bet Coric cracks the top 10 this summer. Other than Halle, he has very few points to defend up to his 2018 4th round finish at the USO. He's been hovering in the rankings between #12 and #15 for a while, and at age 22 he' s ready for a breakthrough.

by Anonymousreply 122May 16, 2019 6:51 PM

Nadal with another cake draw. I hope his RG draw is a mine field.

by Anonymousreply 123May 16, 2019 6:53 PM

When NK is 100 yrs old, looking back on his life, he will have many regrets. Such a fucking waste of talent and not fulfilling your full potential.

He is an embarrassment! How can he not be embarrassed for acting like that? seriously what a fucking asshole. so immature.

by Anonymousreply 124May 16, 2019 6:57 PM

R118, you must not play tennis, nor have my history as a fan as well. We have perhaps the 3 best ever still 1,2,3 in the world and depth like there has never been in the game. I don't think you have a clue. We are in a golden age that may be finally turning over.

by Anonymousreply 125May 16, 2019 6:58 PM

"much" not "my"

by Anonymousreply 126May 16, 2019 6:58 PM

and the chronically injured Nishikori also wins 2 matches today. He almost lost in straights to Struff.

so old men and chronically injured are somehow able to win 2 matches in 1 day: Federer, Nadal, Verdasco, Del Potro, Nishikori. Djokovic is up right now

by Anonymousreply 127May 16, 2019 7:00 PM

I've interviewed Verdasco before. He was professional, polite, and accommodating.

Big ego? Yeah, probably. It goes with being as self-centered as top players need to be. I've met with dozens of players, and only a handful have struck me as not having a pretty big ego, and (coincidentally?) they're all women: Kvitova, Safarova, and Mauresmo. But that's a knee-jerk reaction of having been around them for maybe 30 minutes max.

by Anonymousreply 128May 16, 2019 7:33 PM

A slight big ego is what probably separates successful players against lesser ones. Obviously hard work but you have to believe in yourself.

by Anonymousreply 129May 16, 2019 7:41 PM

R125: Nobody is questioning that, but a top 20 player should be able to win more than a game, no matter how good is Nadal

by Anonymousreply 130May 16, 2019 7:44 PM

and Djokovic rolls through too

by Anonymousreply 131May 16, 2019 7:49 PM

I too think you need a big ego to make it to the top of the game. You need complete belief. Those who don’t have the big ego are the exceptions not the rule. Which doesn’t excuse being a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 132May 16, 2019 8:14 PM

Exactly. When you work on a public stage it doesn't matter if you are an athlete, a singer or an actor you need a good self steem, but that doesn't equate to be a jerk.

Stefanos is not having that much trouble with Fabio

by Anonymousreply 133May 16, 2019 9:07 PM

Good win for Titsy. The Fog is in form, and he definitely had the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 134May 16, 2019 9:16 PM

Titsy and Maria Sakkari both through, good for the Greek fans who came to Rome. She beat Petra Kvitova 7-5 5-7 4-0 -retirement. Her 4th top 10 win, and second straight appearance in the Rome QF (she also had to go through qualifying). Will play Mladonna (another qualifier) for a spot in the SF.

Kvitova actually seemed fine, I just don't think she wanted to keep playing so late at night against a very determined opponent lol.

by Anonymousreply 135May 16, 2019 9:33 PM

Petra is no pushover. The Greeks are on fire!

by Anonymousreply 136May 16, 2019 9:39 PM

Petra won't be a top 4 seed at the French Open now

nice shot of Titsy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137May 16, 2019 9:41 PM

damm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 16, 2019 9:55 PM

Karen Hemsworth

by Anonymousreply 139May 16, 2019 10:02 PM

so the only younger ATP guys to reach the QF are Tsitsipas and middle-aged Schwartzman. The rest of them are 30 and over Federer, Verdasco, Nadal, Djokovic, Del Potro and will-be-30-this-year Nishikori.

Not surprisingly the most interesting ATP match tomorrow is Federer vs. Tsitsipas

Nadal will likely straight set Verdasco

Djokovic will probably straight set a rusty and tired Del Potro

Nishikori vs. Schwartzman could be interesting

On the WTA side I"m looking forward to Osaka vs. Bertens and Azarenka vs. Pliskova. Mladenovic vs. Sakkari could be interesting. Don't care about Konta vs. Vondrousova

by Anonymousreply 140May 16, 2019 10:19 PM

If Bertens does the Rome/Madrid double i'll be really impressed. At this point (without wanting to jinx) I put her as the Roland Garros favourite.

She's already beaten Halep, Stephens, Kvitova, and Kerber (arguably some of the biggest RG contenders) on clay. As well as other good clay courters like Sevastova, CSN, and even 2017 champ Ostapenko (who played better than usual against Kiki). If she can snatch that #1 Osaka scalp tomorrow, then the bookies will really start favouring her.

by Anonymousreply 141May 16, 2019 10:24 PM

I'm sorta shocked Kei came back. But good for him.

by Anonymousreply 142May 16, 2019 10:27 PM

Felix is neck in neck with Karen for top ATP abs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143May 16, 2019 10:31 PM

Karen Hemsworth is going to be a father soon, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 144May 16, 2019 10:40 PM

I kinda envy his wife.

by Anonymousreply 145May 16, 2019 10:42 PM

Someone upthread asked for a video of the meltdown...found this on twitter...sorry if already posted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146May 16, 2019 10:46 PM

Cray

by Anonymousreply 147May 16, 2019 10:48 PM

R99 R105 Aussie apologist, ie NK's bald gay brother, working overtime here.

by Anonymousreply 148May 16, 2019 11:23 PM

Uh, no R148, I'm not excusing Kyrgios' behavior at all, far from it. How you inferred that from either of those posts just speaks to your own obtuseness.

by Anonymousreply 149May 16, 2019 11:27 PM

Nole.

by Anonymousreply 150May 17, 2019 12:04 AM

Some nice shirtless footage of Titsy after his match with Fog... He took his time changing his shirt and is surprisingly muscular in the chest and abs. (Also, shaved smooth, which doesn't get any complaints to me.) He's a haircut away from being one of the hottest in the men's game.

by Anonymousreply 151May 17, 2019 3:21 AM

C'mon Tisty beat the old GOAT.

by Anonymousreply 152May 17, 2019 7:14 AM

Osaka defaults??

by Anonymousreply 153May 17, 2019 10:44 AM

Don't tell me she's throwing chairs now, too

by Anonymousreply 154May 17, 2019 10:53 AM

Go roger! Win one of the few tournaments you never have!

by Anonymousreply 155May 17, 2019 11:29 AM

Osaka and, now FEDERER retires. I think it is unfair for Coric. We all knew that there is no way Federer could play two matches on the same day (one very competitive) and then play Tsisipas the next day....So unfair for Coric.

by Anonymousreply 156May 17, 2019 11:59 AM

Leg injury, apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 17, 2019 12:01 PM

Probably his hip. So Titsy into the semis.

by Anonymousreply 158May 17, 2019 12:02 PM

And, probably, another Titsy-Nadal semi.

by Anonymousreply 159May 17, 2019 12:03 PM

Well I hope Verdasco - Nadal goes 4 hours...

Meanwhile, Lil Diego is shellacking Kei!

by Anonymousreply 160May 17, 2019 12:05 PM

I don't think it's unfair to Coric, R156. He had a golden opportunity and he blew it. At his level and this point of his career, he needs to close a match like that out. All these guys just seem to be content to wait the Big 3 out.

by Anonymousreply 161May 17, 2019 12:07 PM

Pussy Fed was bitching about the lines being wet. I know he's not played on clay in years but still....this is new to him?

by Anonymousreply 162May 17, 2019 12:26 PM

R156: Coric had everything to win and he lost, it's all his fault.

Federer had very few probabilites of defeat Tsitsipas today, so if he was not feeling well he did the right thing. RG is here and he has some time to recover

by Anonymousreply 163May 17, 2019 12:31 PM

R160: Nadal - Verdasco it'll be another 60 61 routine. Verdasco never was a rival to Nadal, he only was able to defeat the worst versions of Nadal (and sometimes not even those), but at least this time he has a good excuse because he had two very tough matches yesterday

by Anonymousreply 164May 17, 2019 12:32 PM

Tispsy could be five (ahead of Zverev) if he reach the final

by Anonymousreply 165May 17, 2019 12:34 PM

I agree, This tournament would make a great case study for a sports psychologist. The most important factor for the top players is belief. Roger woke up and knew it wasn't going to happen today. As we saw in AU final Nadal v. B.O, You couldn't call it a tank, but from the 3rd point we all knew, barring injury, that he wasn't going to win. That's why Nadal continues to win 6-0, 6-1 on clay. It's almost like the Spanish players have a contest on who can lose the fastest to him. We've seen Ferrer and RBA unable to win points, much less games. The only ones who have belief are Thiem, B. O., Titsy Bang Bang, , and of course the Iconoclast, bogan, Nick Hilmy Kyrgios, who threatens the tennis establishment by wearing black to a White Party.

by Anonymousreply 166May 17, 2019 12:58 PM

Lil Diego resurrected in Rome

by Anonymousreply 167May 17, 2019 1:07 PM

And Verdasco won already more games that i was expecting him to win in the whole match

by Anonymousreply 168May 17, 2019 1:08 PM

Does anyone think DelPo has a chance versus Boobs?

by Anonymousreply 169May 17, 2019 1:55 PM

So far we’ve had two blowouts and two walkovers in our four singles matches of the day.

They clearly need to push all these clay events up a week. No one wants to take any chances with RG so close

by Anonymousreply 170May 17, 2019 2:29 PM

Could someone please explain what Djokovic and 'boobs out' refers to or means?

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 171May 17, 2019 3:13 PM

His celebration, R171. And as a big fan of his, the description amuses me, haha.

by Anonymousreply 172May 17, 2019 3:16 PM

Though I'd venture to guess that most of us DLers find his Djokovic's ritual to be vomitous. I certainly do.

by Anonymousreply 173May 17, 2019 3:22 PM

Lil Diego withdrew from doubles

by Anonymousreply 174May 17, 2019 3:23 PM

When someone withdraws from doubles, is there ever a partner who complains? “No I want to play!”

by Anonymousreply 175May 17, 2019 4:52 PM

I look forward to R139's nausea all summer long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176May 17, 2019 5:02 PM

R175 I do wonder if they get pissed when it's a player who makes most of their living in doubles. For example, Tsitsipas' partner Wesley Koolhof. Sometimes in a Masters event the difference from one round to the next can be as high as around 80k (Euros). For a minor player and doubles specialist like Koolhof, who is 30 years old now, that is a big difference. That money he will miss out on for Tsitsipas withdrawing could fund travel and lodging for the year, physios, etc. So it's even more important in the smaller tournaments.

For winning the womens doubles in Madrid, Strycova and Hsieh get to split 357,540 Euro. Strycova had just made two consecutive SF in singles at the international level, winning four matches each in Istanbul and Prague. She made more from winning her four doubles matches with Hsieh than from those eight singles matches.

Of course the likes of Diegito and Thiem and Fogna don't really care if their partner wants to withdraw. Recently some players pretty much admitted they just played doubles at the bigger events because they'd rather play a match and make some extra $$ on their off day than do hitting practise. Sadly I can think of a lot of players who would benefit from the netplay.

by Anonymousreply 177May 17, 2019 5:27 PM

But they know that if you play with a top player who use to play sngles competition that this could happen (a lot of times). Of course playing with someone like Thiem or Tsitsipas has some advantages in form of wc (and Tsitsipas is not a problem because he don't quit, if they left him he would play two tournaments per week)

by Anonymousreply 178May 17, 2019 6:07 PM

R178 Exactly. I'm just saying that's arguably the only reason someone would be pissed to withdraw from doubles. Or maybe if it was like.... a slam semi or final. Which is rare to withdraw from.

Mladonna HAS to be in on the joke. She just spoke 2 different languages with Bajin in her on court coaching session. Was even trying to talk to Sakkari in Italian when they came from back stage on to the court (Sakkari: "I only understood the first part...").

by Anonymousreply 179May 17, 2019 6:18 PM

Nole.

by Anonymousreply 180May 17, 2019 7:38 PM

I think Fed played here and pulled out realizing he's guaranteed a top 4 seed at RG. He could care less the Italian nutjob fans want to see him. I really wanted to see him against Nadal in the semis and I think he would have psyched out Tstisy.

by Anonymousreply 181May 17, 2019 7:40 PM

I hope Tsitsipas carries over confidence from his win against Nadal in Madrid, but I fear Nadal will be extra determined to get revenge. Tsitsi needs to be dialed in from the outset.

by Anonymousreply 182May 17, 2019 7:48 PM

Sakkari beats Mlad the Impaler 6-0 in the third set. She looks really in-form right now. Can she and Tsitsi do another 'Greek double' like they did a few weeks ago in Estoril/Rabat?

Will play Pliskova in the SF, a *delicious* one year anniversary grudge match of the Rome encounter where Pliskova went apeshit and destroyed the umpire chair.

If she can win that match, a final will be very interesting. Either a rematch of the Rabat final with Konta, or playing Bertens. The latter is arguably the best clay courter in the world right now, but Sakkari has beaten her twice before (both times on clay, one was earlier this year in Charleston).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183May 17, 2019 8:13 PM

R181: I doubt Federer had a chance against Tsitsipas. He had a tough match against Coric and Tsitsipas is probably better than him on clay anyway

by Anonymousreply 184May 17, 2019 8:19 PM

Djokovic seems to be getting ever more emaciated. He's already having tantrums at 3-3 in the first set and looks like he'll collapse into a pile of bones and dust if he gets too apoplectic.

by Anonymousreply 185May 17, 2019 8:42 PM

And Delpo won the first set. Nice to see that not everything it's that easy for Nole

by Anonymousreply 186May 17, 2019 9:22 PM

ole , ole ole . DelPo

by Anonymousreply 187May 17, 2019 9:32 PM

Think of what DelPo could have been if he had stayed healthy . . .

by Anonymousreply 188May 17, 2019 9:58 PM

I need Del GOATRO to show up and win this 3rd set. I mean the title probably belongs to Rafa or Tsitsipas anyway but still, I just like seeing him play well. Which it doesn't feel like we'll see for much longer.

He's still so talented as a shotmaker but with all these injuries he looks so laborious and stilted around the court. A less extreme version of what we saw with Venus the other night.

by Anonymousreply 189May 17, 2019 10:18 PM

To be fair to DelPo that big toe doesn't look good.

by Anonymousreply 190May 17, 2019 10:22 PM

and Del Potro choked that tiebreak. I knew he'd lose the third set too

every fucking body on the ATP chokes against the big 3. It's madness

Tsitsipas is our only hope to stop a Djokovic-Nadal final. It was good he got a day off today

by Anonymousreply 191May 17, 2019 11:08 PM

Titsy!

Lil Diego!!

by Anonymousreply 192May 17, 2019 11:43 PM

Nole actually saying he loves Delpo in yesterday's press conference. That is sweet. I love their matches and today was no exception!

by Anonymousreply 193May 18, 2019 12:30 AM

Does “Nole” give boobs out to DelPo?

by Anonymousreply 194May 18, 2019 12:32 AM

Still my favourite picture of theirs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195May 18, 2019 12:36 AM

I predict Djokovic will be like Safin and enter politics after he retires. The 1 country where he's wildly popular is his native Serbia. I could even imagine him being elected President there some day. He'd do it because he loves attention and praise. He would want to elevate Serbia to being a more prominent country on the map with frequent trips to the US but things wouldn't go well given his Kosovo stance

by Anonymousreply 196May 18, 2019 12:52 AM

Nolive Oyl...

by Anonymousreply 197May 18, 2019 12:52 AM

Nole is a warrior

by Anonymousreply 198May 18, 2019 1:21 AM

Nole's manner is off-putting and there are other sublime top players to choose from that are more worthy of my attention.

by Anonymousreply 199May 18, 2019 1:30 AM

Nole is a desperate twat

by Anonymousreply 200May 18, 2019 1:32 AM

Like me, like me! Or I'll kill you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201May 18, 2019 1:35 AM

This Djokovic vs Del Potro match was one of the best, if not the best of those I've seen so far this year.

by Anonymousreply 202May 18, 2019 1:38 AM

Djokovic vs Del Potro should have been a great rivalry spanning at least a decade. DelPo's injuries cheated us of that.

by Anonymousreply 203May 18, 2019 1:56 AM

Yes, very true, R203. It's a real pity.

by Anonymousreply 204May 18, 2019 2:12 AM

I hope today's match means Del Potro's left wrist is feeling good again. He was giving Djokovic trouble because he was often pounding his 2 handed backhand as he used to do 10 years ago. If not for the choke on match point he would have wrapped this up in 2 sets

by Anonymousreply 205May 18, 2019 2:25 AM

Rain is in the forecast for Rome....

by Anonymousreply 206May 18, 2019 10:34 AM

R196: Safin is in politics because it's a easy way to get money and influence. He doesn't seem to have any real interest and his opinions can be summarize as "what Putin says".

Even he wants to be politically correct and follow Rafa and Roger footsteps of trying to avoid any criticism, the truth is Novak has opinions (for better or for worse).

The Tsitsipas-Nadal is an important match. I still think Nadal is favourite but Stefanos winning today it'll be the real start of a change of guard. He showed he can defeat Rafa on clay, but defeat him two consecutive times on Rafa's favourite surface is a huge thing

by Anonymousreply 207May 18, 2019 10:53 AM

Konta is annoying. Also with the way she plays she will probably lose in the first 2 rounds of the French.

by Anonymousreply 208May 18, 2019 1:11 PM

Agree, R207, about Nadal-Tsitsipas today, especially with Rome being closer to Roland Garros in terms of how the clay surface plays. I know the French can't stand Nadal and are sick of him winning RG. Why don't they speed up the clay to be more like Madrid?

by Anonymousreply 209May 18, 2019 1:14 PM

Well, the french tend to hate when spaniards go there and steal their beloved trophy and Nadal did it a lot of times.

I don't think it's personal against him, i'm pretty sure they will give him a big homage when he retires but yes, they are tired of watching him win

by Anonymousreply 210May 18, 2019 1:17 PM

So ugly, so obnoxious, so angry, so unlikable....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211May 18, 2019 1:22 PM

Maybe, but he is able to be back to normal once the match is over. No awful handshakes, no belittle of the rival on the post match interviews

by Anonymousreply 212May 18, 2019 1:30 PM

Exactly, R212, and even during the match as we saw yesterday with their high fives after Delpo's great dropshot and with his applause etc...

by Anonymousreply 213May 18, 2019 1:34 PM

Roger Federer with his big ole nose and Princess attitude is the ugliest sports figure I can think of.

by Anonymousreply 214May 18, 2019 1:47 PM

Urgg, Stefanos started the match exactly the way you should never start against Rafa. Giving him advantage from the beginning is the best way of making him feel comfortable and you don't want that on clay if you want to have a chance

by Anonymousreply 215May 18, 2019 1:48 PM

[R213] FF’d you by mistake. Meant to WW

by Anonymousreply 216May 18, 2019 2:03 PM

Aww, no problem, R216! Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 217May 18, 2019 2:52 PM

No one is oozing BS PR more than the Nose.

by Anonymousreply 218May 18, 2019 3:08 PM

Unless there is a miracle, it looks like Nadal straight sets Tsitsi today. Ugh. I need Nole to beat Shortzman and then destroy Nadal in the final. Otherwise, Nadal goes into RG with renewed confidence. I just can't handle another Nadal French Open win.

by Anonymousreply 219May 18, 2019 3:14 PM

[quote] Rain is in the forecast for Rome....

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 220May 18, 2019 3:50 PM

Nadal and Djokovic are equally overbearing and tedious at this point. We need a Slam champion under 30. It's hard to believe there's not a single Slam winner under 30 among active ATP players.

by Anonymousreply 221May 18, 2019 4:02 PM

I was sitting at the computer and listening to the match from the other room. It is much more pleasant than watching Nadal and his tics......

by Anonymousreply 222May 18, 2019 4:15 PM

R222 but you would miss the best part of Nadal’s match!

Yes I’m talking about his ass.

by Anonymousreply 223May 18, 2019 4:41 PM

People can't even pretend to be interested in women's tennis. The stadium is practically empty for this semi-final in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 224May 18, 2019 5:06 PM

never would have guessed a Pliskova-Konta final lol Konta sucks on clay but somehow she's having a great week. I guess her result in Morocco a few weeks ago was a sign of things to come. Bertens is still beatable after all

Pliskova has been bad too with early losses in Stuttgart and Madrid. Now she's regaining all those lost points this week.

by Anonymousreply 225May 18, 2019 5:09 PM

I think wta is in one of its lowest moments. They need a star, and all they have is a bunch of good players unable to keep their level three weeks in a row.

Stefanos has a big problem with his serve in the first games of every set. He is broke in a lot of matches in those first games and that against solid players like Rafa or Nole is a big disadvantage that he needs to correct.

The good thing about Tsitsipas is that he seems to learn from his mistakes and he is clearly improving. His serve has the potential to be a big weapon. He has a lot of chances to leave Roland Garros as the number 4 in the world

by Anonymousreply 226May 18, 2019 5:12 PM

I don't want Nadal to win Rome but if he does, at least it's only 1 title. I'm glad he didn't dominate the season. Hopefully ANYONE except Nadal and Djokovic can win RG

fuck the ATP is annoying. For the last 7-8 years I've been wanting someone to break up the monotony. Wawrinka did it 3 times to his credit and Cilic once but that's it.

Yes yes we have new promising players but until 1 of them wins a slam, the ATP is nothing but boring. The masters have been more interesting but not the slams.

and there's no excuse for it. The big 3 are now into their 30s well past their physical peaks yet they still dominate slams.

by Anonymousreply 227May 18, 2019 5:12 PM

J'adore Rafa.

by Anonymousreply 228May 18, 2019 5:19 PM

draws for next week out.

A. Zverev playing AGAIN in a last ditch effort to get some momentum

The only top ranked ladies playing are Barty and Sabalenka but neither is a real contender for RG.

Garin returns from his rest

Wawrinka also playing

FAA and Shapovalov both trying to get that first title

by Anonymousreply 229May 18, 2019 5:44 PM

Flopos.

by Anonymousreply 230May 18, 2019 6:15 PM

Je hais Rafa.

by Anonymousreply 231May 18, 2019 6:16 PM

I can't see Rafa's ass - he always has his hand back there in the way.

by Anonymousreply 232May 18, 2019 6:37 PM

Nole team or Lil’ Diego team?

by Anonymousreply 233May 18, 2019 6:46 PM

Schwartzman's serve isn't good enough due to his height. No way he beats Djokovic without help from Novak. First set 6-3

by Anonymousreply 234May 18, 2019 6:48 PM

Diego would drop his pants down the moment he sees Nadal on the other side of the net. With Novak, he and Rafa may give us a good match.

by Anonymousreply 235May 18, 2019 6:51 PM

Does he have an Onlyfans?

by Anonymousreply 236May 18, 2019 6:53 PM

What?

by Anonymousreply 237May 18, 2019 7:03 PM

I see the young Diego fan in the stands......obviously a DataLounger......

by Anonymousreply 238May 18, 2019 7:46 PM

Diego is giving Nole a fight

by Anonymousreply 239May 18, 2019 7:50 PM

Is Pliskova even a good tennis player? Or is she just tall…. she’s always so consistent. That is, consistently taking advantage of her high seeding to steamroll through easy draws, consistently playing middling tennis, and consistently never seeming like an actual threat for a GS. She's just a great serve with a basic bitch game attached…. it’s worth noting that she only played three matches before today. Sakkari had played TWICE as many and was still pushing her.

I don't like Rafa either, but my one consolation with him is that this year *genuinely* feels like his last rodeo. I know we've said that before, but he's not playing well on clay at all. Other players getting better and better (Coric, Tsitsipas, Schwartzman, Thiem). His body is so fragile now, imagine how it'll be in one years time? My attitude is kind of like: let him just fight his body to the death to win this last slam and then disappear into the ether.

by Anonymousreply 240May 18, 2019 8:03 PM

No outrage over Pliskova bashing an umpire’s chair with her racket? I guess that’s very “basic bitch.”

by Anonymousreply 241May 18, 2019 8:09 PM

The umpire's voice sounds like a woman's voice.....

by Anonymousreply 242May 18, 2019 8:21 PM

Lil Diego really tried. At least he won a set

by Anonymousreply 243May 18, 2019 8:35 PM

Lil Diego has a champion's heart. In a munchkin's body. :-(

by Anonymousreply 244May 18, 2019 9:14 PM

[R242] I thought it was a woman until he was on camera. Very strange voice

by Anonymousreply 245May 18, 2019 9:57 PM

R211 So true.

by Anonymousreply 246May 18, 2019 10:47 PM

College tennis. Compelling.

by Anonymousreply 247May 18, 2019 11:31 PM

Well Boobs Out versus Wedgie Boy certainly shut this thread down.

by Anonymousreply 248May 19, 2019 10:26 AM

The audience for the doubles final in Rome is completely empty.

by Anonymousreply 249May 19, 2019 12:13 PM

Since the Rome final won't change the rankings, and next week's results don't go towards the French Open seeds, the seedlings are set, pending withdrawals. Anderson and Isner have already pulled out.

1-4: Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Theim

5-8: A. Zverev, Tsitsipas, Nishikori, Del Potro

9-12: Fognini, Khachanov, Cilic, Medvedev

13-16: Coric, Monfils, Raonic, Basilashvili

No. 32 would be Djere, Just missing a seed are Kyrgios, Tiafoe, and Garin. (Although I wouldn't be shocked if Raonic pulled out and Kyrgios got in.)

Among the group seeded between 17-32 are: Shapavalov, Wawrinka, Auger-Aliassime, Gofin, Berretini.

by Anonymousreply 250May 19, 2019 12:17 PM

[quote]The audience for the doubles final in Rome is completely empty.

To be fair, it's on court the same time as the Women's Final. I guess they're afraid of rain impacting the schedule? Although tournament organizers have really made a mess of this year's event.

by Anonymousreply 251May 19, 2019 12:20 PM

Nole? Rafa? Nole?

by Anonymousreply 252May 19, 2019 12:37 PM

Pete.

by Anonymousreply 253May 19, 2019 12:53 PM

The ones to avoid in the 5-8 section are Tsitsipas and Delpo (if he has easy first rounds), and in the 9-12 Fognini (only if you are Nadal) and Medvedev (even if his level doesn't seem the same in the last tournaments).

I suppose Tsitsipas prefers not to play against FAA even if in clay i doubt Felix has a chance

by Anonymousreply 254May 19, 2019 1:40 PM

With Pliskova winning Rome, Ladies seeds set. No one in seeded territory has pulled out yet, Sharapova (No. 49) is the highest ranked woman to withdraw.

1-4: Osaka, Pliskova, Halep, Bertens

5-8: Kerber, Kvitova, Stephens, Barty

9-12: Svitolina, S. Williams, Sabalenka, Sevastova

13-16: Wozniacki, Keys, Bencic, Q. Wang

Just missing a seed are Collins, Kenin, and Cibulkova.

Among the group seeded between 17-32 are Muguruza, Mertens, Kasatkina, Andreescu, Vekic, Garcia, Hsieh, Konta, Suarez Navarro.

Ostapenko and Azarenka unseeded.

by Anonymousreply 255May 19, 2019 2:18 PM

R254, FAA has never lost to Tsitsipas, including in juniors.

by Anonymousreply 256May 19, 2019 2:20 PM

NoNad

by Anonymousreply 257May 19, 2019 2:20 PM

Amazing that we're a week away from the French starting and neither of the defending champions (Nadal or Halep) has won an event since August.

Although Nadal with a good shot at the Rome title today.

by Anonymousreply 258May 19, 2019 2:27 PM

Djokovic has won 9 of 10 of his most recent encounters with Nadal. No?

by Anonymousreply 259May 19, 2019 2:53 PM

Nole!

by Anonymousreply 260May 19, 2019 2:55 PM

Is anyone watching the match? Is Nole injured or did Rafa just play out of his mind the first set?

by Anonymousreply 261May 19, 2019 3:16 PM

Watching. Tic boy is just playing well. Novak has stepped it up in the second set (although he just missed an overhead into the bottom of the net that he definitely should have made).

If Rafa picks up just a couple of more tics to add to the growing list of pre-serve rituals, he will not be able to physically serve a ball in less than one minute.

by Anonymousreply 262May 19, 2019 3:37 PM

Djokovic is playing poorly. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 263May 19, 2019 3:37 PM

I'll bet Rafa stands over there waiting for a serve and has to obsessively count how many times Novak bounces the ball before serving.

by Anonymousreply 264May 19, 2019 3:40 PM

Novak miraculously finally breaks and takes the second set.

by Anonymousreply 265May 19, 2019 3:52 PM

The level of play from both of them is execrable.

by Anonymousreply 266May 19, 2019 3:53 PM

Are you on Rafa team or Boobs Out team?

by Anonymousreply 267May 19, 2019 3:59 PM

Grease fire for both of them, Team

by Anonymousreply 268May 19, 2019 4:02 PM

Nadal is standing so far behind the baseline he’s gonna vanish from the screen.

by Anonymousreply 269May 19, 2019 4:05 PM

Nadal leads, 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (break)

The score line is so "WTA" I would have thought the match was compelling.

by Anonymousreply 270May 19, 2019 4:07 PM

Djokovic not playing well. This is my worst nightmare. Now Nadal will go into the French with renewed confidence. If he wins again, I'll throw a rock through my TV screen.

by Anonymousreply 271May 19, 2019 4:12 PM

Better throw bottle. So Nadal will have to count it

by Anonymousreply 272May 19, 2019 4:17 PM

Looks like Rafa's new tic is to obsessively take multiple glances over to the countdown clock on his first serve. His regular life must be more and more debilitating.

by Anonymousreply 273May 19, 2019 4:22 PM

He's so dreamy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274May 19, 2019 4:29 PM

Hai Ram,Nole

by Anonymousreply 275May 19, 2019 4:31 PM

Half the cover jinx worked.

by Anonymousreply 276May 19, 2019 4:38 PM

boo! hiss!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277May 19, 2019 4:43 PM

I think we've found our next cover boy image, R277.

by Anonymousreply 278May 19, 2019 4:44 PM

Awww, no Nole nausea today, R176...

by Anonymousreply 279May 19, 2019 4:44 PM

It looks like old age inconsistency has caught up with Djokovic. His first set was horrendous. He could not move at all, time after time after time. Hopefully he will have a good day in RG if he has to meet Nadal again there.

by Anonymousreply 280May 19, 2019 4:46 PM

Jesus, awful performance from Djokovic. Nadal will likely take #12 at RG. Sigh . . .

by Anonymousreply 281May 19, 2019 4:48 PM

Go west?

by Anonymousreply 282May 19, 2019 4:49 PM

Nadal!

by Anonymousreply 283May 19, 2019 4:51 PM

Given the week Djokovic had it's not surprising. He would have lost to Del Potro in straight sets had Juan Martin not missed a sitter forehand on match point and yesterday he went 3 sets with Schwartzman.

I'm not upset that Nadal got 1 title. I'll be annoyed if either Novak or Rafa wins RG though (and that will probably happen)

I can't believe Pliskova is up to #2 again by winning Rome? ugh I can't stand her game at all.

by Anonymousreply 284May 19, 2019 4:56 PM

Djokovic’s failed drop shots deserve a highlight.

by Anonymousreply 285May 19, 2019 4:57 PM

in Geneva, Dimitrov qualified for the main draw

by Anonymousreply 286May 19, 2019 4:57 PM

MOST MASTERS 1000 titles

Nadal, 34

Djokovic, 33

Federer, 28

by Anonymousreply 287May 19, 2019 5:03 PM

R256: And? There's always a first time, and right now Tsitsipas level on clay is miles away from Felix.

First time i root for Rafa in a good while. I think i prefer him winning his 12th RG than Nole winning, but if i am the one to chose noone of them will win

by Anonymousreply 288May 19, 2019 5:03 PM

The Rome final should have been sponsored by Geritol.

Looking forward to FAA, Hurkacz, McDonald, Humbert, and Garin this week.

by Anonymousreply 289May 19, 2019 5:04 PM

Roland Garros qualys start tomorrow. I wish Alejandro Davidovich gets into the main draw, he is a very entertaining player

by Anonymousreply 290May 19, 2019 5:06 PM

And it's context, that's all, R288. FAA so far has had Tsitsipas' number. That doesn't discount that Tsitsipas has reached a phenomenal level of tennis, though both he and FAA seem to do either very well or are barely registering in the last few month's events.

by Anonymousreply 291May 19, 2019 5:08 PM

R291: That's the reason i said that probably Stefanos prefer not to face Felix, but right now it will be a big surprise if Felix was able to win.

Stefanos played incredibly bad the only time they played on pro level, and Felix was played at a way higher level on the hardcourt than he is playing right now. He had an amazing record against top 20 players but once the clay started he lost against every top player he faced (including Zverev) without too much opposition. He is very young so ups and downs are expected.

On the other hand his experience in GS is near to zero, he lost in the qualies in Australia and he had to retire on the US Open

by Anonymousreply 292May 19, 2019 5:14 PM

well it's unlikely because Nadal often gets easy early round slam draws but I'd LOVE it if he drew Garin in 2nd or 3rd rounds

by Anonymousreply 293May 19, 2019 5:14 PM

Anyway, it doesn't matter if he has an easy draw or not in the first rounds because he is not vulnarable on clay (in fact a rival like Isner or Opelka could be more dangerous for him than a clay specialist on the first round).

Where he benefited from easy draws is in Wimbledon. He is very vulnerable on the first rounds where the court is faster, so someone good on grass could mean an early elimination

I suppose for Rafa and Nole, de jackpot is avoid Delpo and Tsitsipas on quarterfinals and Thiem on semis

by Anonymousreply 294May 19, 2019 5:56 PM

I love Rafa and every little tic that comes with him. Onward to RG!

by Anonymousreply 295May 19, 2019 6:10 PM

I had to laugh when they played "Go West." WTF?

by Anonymousreply 296May 19, 2019 6:10 PM

R296 their biggest hit?

by Anonymousreply 297May 19, 2019 6:27 PM

R297: Biggest hit of who?

by Anonymousreply 298May 19, 2019 6:50 PM

R298 I was asking if they played "Go West" biggest hit?

by Anonymousreply 299May 19, 2019 7:12 PM

ESL, they played a version of “Go West”, a song by Village People.

by Anonymousreply 300May 19, 2019 7:18 PM

Go west is not Village People biggest hit (at least not in Europe)

by Anonymousreply 301May 19, 2019 7:48 PM

There’s a group called Go West.

by Anonymousreply 302May 19, 2019 7:51 PM

The Pet Shop Boys version was a pretty big hit.

by Anonymousreply 303May 19, 2019 8:05 PM

Well Paris is sorta west of Rome, n'est-ce pas?

by Anonymousreply 304May 19, 2019 9:05 PM

Another vote for R277 as our cover boy for Part 42.

by Anonymousreply 305May 19, 2019 9:14 PM

Qualies draw is out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306May 19, 2019 9:54 PM

Vote for Nole as cover boy. Rafa has his faults but he’s not as insufferable as Nole. And at least he’s pleasant to look at, rather than a Gumby plucked chicken.

by Anonymousreply 307May 19, 2019 10:11 PM

Today was the first time I've rooted for Rafa in ages. Nole would have been insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 308May 19, 2019 10:19 PM

Nadal is completely insufferable. As noted above, his new tic is to look at the service clock over and over and over before serving. Add that to his other annoying OCD habits.

by Anonymousreply 309May 19, 2019 11:49 PM

There is no way that anyone except Rafa should be the next cover boy. He must be stopped.

by Anonymousreply 310May 19, 2019 11:56 PM

Yup, given Nole/Rafa, I'm team Rafa.

by Anonymousreply 311May 19, 2019 11:56 PM

I don’t like either, but between “Nole” and Rafa, I’m on Nole team.

by Anonymousreply 312May 19, 2019 11:59 PM

I cannot abide Djokovic trying to rally the crowd after he makes a great shot. Just ostentatious. Regardless of the fact the crowd may not be pulling for him, his sarcastic summoning to the crowd to cheer is pathetic. You never see Federer or Rafa do this. I mean they might celebrate themselves with a fist-pump of something, but really, Djokovic's celebration is an act of petulance. If the crowd is not behind him then suck it up buttercup.

by Anonymousreply 313May 20, 2019 12:11 AM

DJokovic getting bageled is pretty sweet too, I'm not picky about who does it.

by Anonymousreply 314May 20, 2019 12:15 AM

Did someone say “bagel”?

by Anonymousreply 315May 20, 2019 12:21 AM

There is no doubt that Novak needs love. Instead of hating him for it, I pity and feel bad for him for it. Regardless of the immense success he has had, it isn't enough; he wants the adulation. He's at the top of his profession, is wildly wealthy, good-looking, has an attractive wife and all the other women he wants, two super cute kids, and he still isn't satisfied. It's sad. And cautionary.

by Anonymousreply 316May 20, 2019 12:35 AM

Sometimes appetites have no bottom.

by Anonymousreply 317May 20, 2019 12:37 AM

I think what he lacks is respect. I mean everyone respects his tennis which is astonishing. But I think his antics earlier in his tennis life color what his peers think of him in private.

by Anonymousreply 318May 20, 2019 12:40 AM

I preferred the Djokovic who first came on tour. He was arrogant but knew he belonged with the top players. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind about them. He even imitated players' mannerisms. Most of them laughed but of course some like Nadal took offense. Once the press heard Nadal's thoughts on that, they began bashing Djokovic and so he stopped. Since then he's tried to become fan favorite (except for when he notices crowds cheering against him in matches).

by Anonymousreply 319May 20, 2019 1:01 AM

Yeah, the desperate pandering is off-putting. The imitations and cheekiness were much, much more preferable. He should've just stopped doing the Nadal impressions ... "Oh, I wasn't meaning to cause offence, I'll just stop doing that one then!" and emphasise that everyone else has thicker skins (even if they don't, they'll probably put up with it after that).

by Anonymousreply 320May 20, 2019 2:15 AM

Honestly, I wish he would do the Nadal impression as he is actually serving against Nadal in a tournament! If they make it to the RG finals, he should do that because it would freak Rafa out completely.

by Anonymousreply 321May 20, 2019 2:49 AM

don't they share the same agent now for several years? That's why they play nicely towards each other. We'll never see another imitation unless Nadal OKs it

by Anonymousreply 322May 20, 2019 2:52 AM

Djokovic of 2007 would have a field day imitating Djokovic of 2019: the flared nostrils; the furious, megalomaniacal glare; the furrowed brow, the downturned lips, the pout, the endless ball bounce before serving, irate yelling at spectators and umpires and ballboys, the flailing of arms toward the crowd for applause after a good shot, and finally the boobs out gloat. At least we didn't have to deal with that today.

by Anonymousreply 323May 20, 2019 6:17 AM

R290 he's got a good chance with his qualie draw

by Anonymousreply 324May 20, 2019 7:38 AM

DL favorite Mmoh finally returns to tennis after some injury (never learned what it was). He's in the RG qualie draw too

by Anonymousreply 325May 20, 2019 7:39 AM

Fed's foot may be worse than thought but he's likely to try and play.

by Anonymousreply 326May 20, 2019 8:38 AM

Tipsaravic's interview on The Tennis Podcast was interesting for the insight he gave about Djokovic. He basically said he's a "people pleaser" who can't say no to anything. He's a good friend of Novak so chose his words carefully, but the subtext was that he's desperate to be liked.

by Anonymousreply 327May 20, 2019 8:44 AM

R323 exactly.

by Anonymousreply 328May 20, 2019 9:14 AM

so Federer doesn't think Kyrgios' incident was a big deal

“I don’t think he should be suspended,” 20-time Grand Slam champion Federer - who Kyrgios has hailed as the greatest player of all time - said.

“He walked off the court. What did he do? He hurt a chair? That’s not enough for me.

"A zero pointer, fine, all this stuff is already tough enough. He knows it's a mistake what happened.

“I don’t know if he’s on probation or not from his Shanghai thing. If that’s the case, then obviously you can maybe look into it.

“If that’s run its course, I don’t think he should be suspended.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329May 20, 2019 9:48 AM

I think NK and Bernie would both benefit from a suspension. Maybe then they can figure out if they really want to play tennis.

by Anonymousreply 330May 20, 2019 10:58 AM

LOL no doubt Fed loved Nick's comments about him and that shaded his opinion. Fuck Federer - Nick is going to hurt someone and needs help. He's funny but I could see him opening fire.

by Anonymousreply 331May 20, 2019 11:02 AM

NK doesn't deserve a suspension and isn't going to get one. He was fined €20k and lost all prize money and ranking points.

It was a default rather than a disqualification. No-one got hurt. It's not the same thing as Nalbandian injuring that line judge or Henman hurting that ball girl.

by Anonymousreply 332May 20, 2019 11:11 AM

I don't think Kyrgios should be suspended, but Federer misses the mark with his flip comments about "hurting a chair". If this happens once every few years (Pliskova smashing a racket against an umpire's chair), you brush it off. But Kyrgios seems to have some on court meltdown every six months. Remember the US Open when Lahyani was begging Kyrgios from the chair to make some kind of effort? It just doesn't represent tennis well to have these repeated episodes from him. If tennis just continues to ignore it and look the other way, is it going to resolve itself? Doubtful.

Would have been nice if Federer was a little more concerned or critical in his comments.

by Anonymousreply 333May 20, 2019 11:13 AM

I think there's a general feeling of concern or sympathy for Kyrgios which comes through in these comments.

Everyone knows he's ridiculously talented but he's also obviously unhappy. I do think he's a good bloke "deep down", his mental issues have been alluded to for years. I think he's playing a sport he doesn't want to play but he doesn't have any other option. With his talent it's easy money but he just doesn't want to be doing it.

It's easy for us to slag him off but he remains popular on the tour with people who actually know him.

by Anonymousreply 334May 20, 2019 11:29 AM

I can't stand Kyrgios, but in light of what other punishments get meted out, I think suspension would be overkill for this one. It's not only that he didn't hurt anyone, it's also that the chair throw was not an act of aggression towards anyone in particular, it was into the open court. IMO the Pliskova incident was worse because her aggression was clearly targeted at a person (the chair umpire).

by Anonymousreply 335May 20, 2019 11:31 AM

[quote]Everyone knows he's ridiculously talented but he's also obviously unhappy. I do think he's a good bloke "deep down", his mental issues have been alluded to for years. I think he's playing a sport he doesn't want to play but he doesn't have any other option.

Walk away. Players have done it before. Look at Borg - he played his last Slam at age 25. Kyrgios has earned over $7M in prize money alone (who knows how much more in racket or clothing deals), so he should be ok financially unless he's been totally irresponsible.

[quote]It's easy for us to slag him off but he remains popular on the tour with people who actually know him.

Honestly, I can imagine they're starting to get annoyed, especially after the interview last week. I always listen to the "good guy" comments with some suspicion. If one of your co-workers publicly trashes other co-workers in the press, the good guy label starts to get a little tinged.

by Anonymousreply 336May 20, 2019 12:03 PM

My boyfriends Mmoh and Rubin have already been eliminated.

by Anonymousreply 337May 20, 2019 12:05 PM

Marcos Giron def. Donald Young, 6-0, 6-1.

Yikes! The good news is that Donald earned $7000 for every game he won.

by Anonymousreply 338May 20, 2019 12:42 PM

DY never happened, did he?

by Anonymousreply 339May 20, 2019 1:08 PM

R324: I'm starting to repent of deciding to become his fans. He was very entertaining in Estoril and he has talent for sure, but i think he is a head case (well he described himself as crazy as a goat, which is a spanish expression to say he is batshit crazy). He started his match against Clarke incredibly bad. I don't know if were the nerves (i think this is his first RG). He had advantage on the second set but he totally tanked losing his serve to consecutive times (the first one when he was serving for the set). Then he broke Clarke and finally won the tie break. He has a good draw to qualify, so i hope he start to play at a good level and win the third.

The nice comments Federer made about Kyrgios have nothing to do with Kyrgios not bashing him (like the other two of the big three). Federer always was kind with Kyrgios (like he is with Zverev) because both remind him of himself when he was younger. Roger was a brat at the beginning and for a while he gave the impression he was going to waste his talent. That didn't happen and his behaviour never was on Kyrgios level (not even on Zverev) but he has a soft spot for them (he even gave good advice to Sascha on the laver cup)

Trying to jinx Nadal at the beginning of RG is a waste of time. Rafa is not going to lose in the first rounds no matter how difficult is the draw

Jannik Sinner lost in the first round of lyon, but he is doing a really great job. He is very talented but not particularly strong for a 17 year old (Carlos Alcaraz who is two years younger has a stronger body). He is by far the player of 2001 with better ranking, way better than Tseng

by Anonymousreply 340May 20, 2019 2:15 PM

What, if anything, did Kyrgios say about Andy Murray?

by Anonymousreply 341May 20, 2019 2:21 PM

Kyrgios adored Andy Murray.

by Anonymousreply 342May 20, 2019 2:53 PM

He was kind with Tsitsipas (which was a bit surprising because i thought he said Stef was weird before, but maybe it was weird in a good way).

Davidovich won the third 61

by Anonymousreply 343May 20, 2019 2:57 PM

Dangerous FO floaters on the men's side: Tiafoe, Kyrgios and Garin just missed the seedings. Hurkacz and Struff also lurk, and we might witness comebacks from Tsonga, Gasquet, Dimitrov, Sousa, PCB, Haase, Berdych or Feli.

by Anonymousreply 344May 20, 2019 3:11 PM

R341 Something about Murray being better than Djokovic and should have more wins against him, and also implying that the big 3 were doping because Murray tried to keep up with them for a few years and this killed his body.

by Anonymousreply 345May 20, 2019 3:22 PM

Kyrgios at least keeps himself on the SM buzz line with his controversy. Otherwise he'd be barely a blip in the middling ranks of not-so-young-anymore ATP players who've not fulfilled their promise, e.g. Pouille and Edmund.

by Anonymousreply 346May 20, 2019 3:43 PM

I think it's important to remember that Nick brings a LOT of free press to the sport. I'm in Australia so maybe it's more exaggerated here, but people here don't talk about tennis unless it's Australian Open time (where they might mention Fed/Nadal/Djoko/Serena/Venus and this past year Barty), OR some N.K controversy at any time of the year. I have a friend who wouldn't even know who Delpo or Sharapova are, and he said to me the other day - a few weeks late - "did you see that Nick Kyrgios did a dropshot on his serve?? Lol".

For better or worse (and it's often the latter IMO), he gets people talking about tennis. There's a reason Federer hand-picks him to participate in Laver Cup, when there are much higher ranked players from other countries where tennis is more popular, who will put in more effort. There's a reason ATP picks him for their 'cards against humanity' video when you would suppose there are more 'likeable' players to participate. To me it seems there's a general sentiment (from other players, to even the tennis media who seem to get along with him, to the ATP itself) that he's "good for the sport."

I think he'd be even better for the sport if he tried harder. He IS talented. But the higher ups like him and he does bring the buzz. I think Tomic has had his turnaround after tumbling down the rankings and realising that he doesn't have much else going on in his life, maybe at a certain point Nick will have the same change of intention.

by Anonymousreply 347May 20, 2019 3:48 PM

Oh my.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348May 20, 2019 4:18 PM

Xisha or Mary or Maria or whatever his “fiancée’s” name is has never seen something similar to what is shown at R348.

by Anonymousreply 349May 20, 2019 4:21 PM

RG Nike gear in action

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350May 20, 2019 4:36 PM

if I could design the draw myself, I'd give Nadal Davidovich, Kyrgios and Garin as his first 3 opponents.

by Anonymousreply 351May 20, 2019 6:45 PM

I see that @R348 many times

by Anonymousreply 352May 20, 2019 7:00 PM

R337 yeah it was a bit of a rough day. A lot of the ones I was rooting for lost. I was surprised Mmoh didn't play a challenger last week as he hasn't played a match since the AO.

by Anonymousreply 353May 20, 2019 7:04 PM

other notable day 1 qualie winners:

Rosol who is always unpredictable and seemingly not liked by several players (including Murray)

The always entertaining Dustin Brown straight setted Istomin. Trivia fact: Brown is dating Kyrgios' sister

Garcia-Lopez def. Smyczek

Bolelli wins

Troicki

#nextgen M. Ymer (his brother lost though)

Robredo lost

by Anonymousreply 354May 20, 2019 7:08 PM

Thanks for that summary, R354.

by Anonymousreply 355May 20, 2019 7:38 PM

If Isner withdraws there will be no American men seeded at Roland Garros for the first time in the Open Era

by Anonymousreply 356May 20, 2019 7:39 PM

E. Ymer

by Anonymousreply 357May 20, 2019 7:43 PM

M. Ymer

by Anonymousreply 358May 20, 2019 7:43 PM

Robredo lost against nextgen Molleker.

I think Rudolf is the youngest player in RG unless some of the french wc is younger

by Anonymousreply 359May 20, 2019 8:03 PM

Fait accompli R356, Isner withdrew last week.

by Anonymousreply 360May 20, 2019 8:38 PM

Just spit-balling... chances of winning the French.

Nadal 33%

Djokovic 22%

Theim 13%

Federer 12%

Tsitsipas 6%

Wawrinka, Fognini, Del Porto 2% each

Zverev, Monfils, Nishikori, Schwartzman 1% each

Remainder of the field -4% total

by Anonymousreply 361May 20, 2019 8:53 PM

Now for the ladies:

Halep, Bertens- 14% each

Pliskova, S. Williams - 12% each

Osaka, Kvitova - 8% each

Sltephens - 7%

Barty, Bencic, Kerber - 6% each

Muguruza -2%

Rest of the field - 5% total

by Anonymousreply 362May 20, 2019 9:01 PM

Glad Dustin Brown, Bolelli, and Ymer are through. Troicki is a douche but he plays well and has experience enough to at least give some of the MD names a good battle.

I'm surprised to hear the name Tommy Robredo because I kind of thought he'd retired. Former world #5 losing in the first round of qualies isn't great... I wonder if this will be his last year on the tour.

Rain delays at both WTA events this week so far (Nuremberg and Strasbourg). Hopefully it has passed but if not, and they have to do repeat matches etc., some of these girls are going to be completely fucked for the French.

by Anonymousreply 363May 20, 2019 9:06 PM

Bolelli is always a delight to watch. Che bello!

by Anonymousreply 364May 20, 2019 9:09 PM

I still hesitate to call Halep a favourite to win any title, even if i'm sure she'll go deep. I know she finally got the GS monkey off her back last year (against tired and formless Sloth Stephens who had barely won a match since the US Open win), but she has lost 9 out of her last 12 finals. With her mental midgetry, and the way she runs her body into disrepair by the time she reaches a final, she's actually very vulnerable.

It's actually a good thing for her that Pliskova won in Rome. Because now being bumped down as seeds #3 and #4, Halep and Bertens will be on opposite sides of the draw.

Interesting to see Bencic on the list of favourites too. I know she's had a good year, but this is a slam and I am yet to see her get through her tantrums and sulk sessions without calling daddy down to calm her nerves every changeover.

by Anonymousreply 365May 20, 2019 9:12 PM

I think Nadal should do a parody of Novak. I mean touché, Mr. Djokovic. However, Rafa is too classy to stoop to that level.

by Anonymousreply 366May 20, 2019 9:49 PM

I don’t think Rafa would be very good at doing parodies. He’d OD on his OCD qualities in attempting to parody a player.

by Anonymousreply 367May 20, 2019 9:53 PM

And so Dr r367 has made the diagnosis that Rafa is OCD. Do tell, what year was your MD/Psych conferred? btw, Goldwater rule .....

by Anonymousreply 368May 20, 2019 10:13 PM

When I was coming up with numbers, I didn't intend on making Halep the (co) favorite, but is there anyone more likely than her to win it? Pliskova looked good in Rome, but is so up and down. Serena has shown no form, but I put her high up just because she's Serena, and if she can win a few rounds and stay healthy, she probably becomes the favorite. Kvitova is never a sure thing, especially on clay. I've been underwhelmed by Osaka on clay, but I think she'll compete well. The only one I had close to Halep was Bertens, but she's never reached a Slam final, and was seeming a little spent by the end of Rome.

by Anonymousreply 369May 20, 2019 10:26 PM

Garin should be in there somewhere. 2%?

by Anonymousreply 370May 20, 2019 10:28 PM

the ladies qualie draw is out today. There are some former top 20 players in there such as Bacsinszky, Wickmayer and others. Also former top 50 players mixed in with young teens

by Anonymousreply 371May 20, 2019 10:42 PM

Borna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372May 20, 2019 11:12 PM

I want #NextGen to start winning a lot more not only to end the Big 3 domination but also so they'll get more attention and photo shoots. Borna looks great there especially the legs

by Anonymousreply 373May 20, 2019 11:16 PM

R361, R362, I disagree

For men

Nadal 60 %, Nole : 39%. Rest: 0.79%chance each [Only if Nadal AND Nole get injured]

Yes, things are this bad on men's field

For women: each woman has a 0..78 % chance.

Don't even try to be surprised if Kateryna kozlova wins the ladies titles

yes, things are this bad in women field.

by Anonymousreply 374May 20, 2019 11:22 PM

Yesterday, both Nadal and Djokovic looked old. Fed has been looking old for a while now but Nadal and Djoko have entered that age that it is time for them to go...but, of course, they are still winning and they always go deep in tournaments. Thus, we might be having those three for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 375May 21, 2019 12:38 AM

[quote]Yesterday, both Nadal and Djokovic looked old

I thought so too (especially Rafa)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376May 21, 2019 12:57 AM

Rafa isn’t helped by his stringy hair and bald spots.

by Anonymousreply 377May 21, 2019 1:08 AM

I don't understand how anyone can defend Kyrgios on any level. He is scum.

And if you don't believe that Rafa has at least a certain level of OCD going on, you're probably delusional.

by Anonymousreply 378May 21, 2019 1:24 AM

Rafa doesn’t have OCD, he’s superstitious - huge difference.

by Anonymousreply 379May 21, 2019 2:25 AM

I'm genuinely interested in how you can discern that Rafa's ever-increasing repetitive motions are not OCD related, R379. I'm not fighting you or necessarily disagreeing, but, to an outsider, it is hard to believe there isn't some aspect of him that is far beyond superstition and more in the realm of psychological dependency.

And sorry for your battle.

by Anonymousreply 380May 21, 2019 3:16 AM

I don't think one would pick at their ass repeatedly in public as a matter of superstition. It must be OCD or some other affliction.

by Anonymousreply 381May 21, 2019 3:17 AM

R372, you know you’ve done something terribly wrong when not even Porna Coric can make your kit look good. What on earth was Nike thinking?!

by Anonymousreply 382May 21, 2019 7:07 AM

^ ITA, it's just hidjus

by Anonymousreply 383May 21, 2019 10:32 AM

What about Rafa's straightening of the water bottles. He definitely has OCD tendencies. I wonder what he is like in real life?

by Anonymousreply 384May 21, 2019 12:04 PM

Superstition would be wearing a favourite necklace again because you won last time you were wearing it. OCD is arranging your bottles in a certain way or making the same physical tics before every service motion.

by Anonymousreply 385May 21, 2019 12:11 PM

And obsession would be an inordinate focus on something that matters not one iota to anyone else. Get over it. It's highly unlikely that anyone else cares about your propensity to diagnose Nadal's court habits or whether you accurately identify their etiology.

by Anonymousreply 386May 21, 2019 12:24 PM

R361 I do not agree Thiem has comparable chances of winning as Federer. Fed is fading and has consistency issues when a match on clay extends to third set, and there are too many second tier players who will challenge him and make him play longer. I will be surprised if he makes it past quarter finals.

by Anonymousreply 387May 21, 2019 12:35 PM

Oh, for FFS, of course it's OCD. When the movie As Good as it Gets, (starring 3 Golden Globe, 4 Emmy, 1 Oscar winning Helen Hunt) came out, Rafa was excited and said "That's me". Unlike in the movie, Rafa cant take the meds until he leaves the tour, which I hope is soon. I do feel for the guy, following all those rules must be exhausting. Can you imagine how many rules of engagement he must have for sex? I also think the reason for the OCD is the conflict of the closet

Let's face it, Rafa's a simple man, a natural introvert and private person. I think after that famous interview ( and the LAST personal interview ) he gave where the reporter outed him, the family devised a careful media strategy. I think he's out to his family and Xicsa is his sister's girlfriend. Lucky for him, he has 100 million dollars to figure out how to cope.

by Anonymousreply 388May 21, 2019 12:53 PM

Tell more about the interview where he was outed, R388. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 389May 21, 2019 1:03 PM

It's behind a paywall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390May 21, 2019 1:09 PM

Thanks, R390.

by Anonymousreply 391May 21, 2019 1:13 PM

I haven't read it for a few years, what I remember is that he talks to his mother every day but can go weeks (months?) with out talking to X.. He doesn't even see her at Grand Slams because it's too distracting. Remember, Rafa and X are from the same culture and small, tight-knit, island community. They are neighbors and families who have known each other for their entire lives. This is your girlfriend, who you rarely see or talk to, and your relationship is so private. He is not private with any of his male friends. Give me a break. Oh, and at that time,she still worked at a bank or insurance co., "because she likes to have her own life". No way, a man who has 25m let's his girlfriend work at a bank. Anyway, to my knowledge, this was the last time he had a personal interview.

Once or twice a year they have a couple of pap shots at the beach or on a boat. There is not one photo that shows any chemistry. Look at the photos of Rafa and his sister, you can see the love. Look at him hug his male friends, you can see the love. Every photo with X. shows his arm draped over her shoulder. Look at the video with Paulina Portapotty, he was terrified. Poor guy, I would have felt the same. There is no evidence that Rafa is strait. Why does his sister wear a diamond ring? She's not married. Why does X wear a diamond necklace?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392May 21, 2019 2:10 PM

R387: I think Tsitsipas chances are way bigger than Federer's. Roger will need a cake draw and being very inspired to have a chance.

There was some controversy on the Opelka-Moutet match. Opelka stopped playing and started to celebrate victory because he thought the ball was out but it was called in, he didn't react well and ended losing the match (he didn't handshake the umpire)

by Anonymousreply 393May 21, 2019 2:14 PM

Correction: He may be in dire straits, but there is no evidence he is straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394May 21, 2019 2:14 PM

Ryan Harrison (now ranked #122) lost in the 1st round of French Open qualies. Chris Eubanks also lost but T. Sandgren won

by Anonymousreply 395May 21, 2019 2:30 PM

[quote]There was some controversy on the Opelka-Moutet match

There's footage of it here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396May 21, 2019 2:32 PM

Feli Lopez playing Dzumhur in Geneva right now. What I wouldn't give to be the meat in their sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 397May 21, 2019 3:45 PM

Dzumhur and Fucsovic sandwich also on my menu!

by Anonymousreply 398May 21, 2019 3:53 PM

All players have certain things they do before they serve. Look at Sharapova who used to always tuck her hair behind her ears that didnt need to be done. His seem more odd though.

by Anonymousreply 399May 21, 2019 4:00 PM

[quote]in Geneva, Dimitrov qualified for the main draw

...and then lost to Delboner in the 1st round

by Anonymousreply 400May 21, 2019 4:19 PM

R396: Maybe my eyes are not the most reliable but that seems clearly in

by Anonymousreply 401May 21, 2019 4:52 PM

it looked in to me as well R401

by Anonymousreply 402May 21, 2019 5:32 PM

Zverev started the match losing his serve but Gulbis is simply not a rival right now. Probably this is the kind of match that Zverev was needing

by Anonymousreply 403May 21, 2019 6:27 PM

FAA 7-6, 7-5 over Millman in Lyon. That match was quite easy on the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 404May 21, 2019 6:56 PM

It would be interesting to watch what Felix is able to do on Roland Garros. It doesn't seem probable that this will be his breakthrough GS (the US Open seems way more possible) but not an easy early rounds rival for a lot of top players (even that unlike on hard courts his matches against top players on the clay switch were very one sided and not in his favour)

by Anonymousreply 405May 21, 2019 7:18 PM

R399 when Nadal had longer hair he would push it behind his ears too. Now that his hair is shorter, it doesn't fall down in front of his face anymore but he still has to push the imaginary hair behind behind his ears. That's a blatant example of his OCDism

by Anonymousreply 406May 21, 2019 7:33 PM

I also think Rafa's sister and Xisca are bumping pussies.

by Anonymousreply 407May 21, 2019 9:11 PM

I agree he has OCD, but it's true almost every player has their own serve rituals. In addition to the Sharapova example, I know Serena bounces the ball twice before a first serve, and five times before a second serve. Every single time it is that number. Cibulkova sniffs the balls before she does the toss. Djokovic obviously does his endless bouncing. Caroline Garcia nervously looks up at her opponent one more time before directing her eyes back down before the toss. Strycova does this weird shoulder circling thing that almost looks like she tries to dislocate them. .

by Anonymousreply 408May 21, 2019 9:50 PM

Felix is the youngest player to be ranked in the ATP top 30 since Hewitt in 1999.

by Anonymousreply 409May 21, 2019 9:54 PM

[quote] Cibulkova sniffs the balls before she does the toss.

Perhaps she is addicted to the psychedelic effects of tennis balls?

by Anonymousreply 410May 21, 2019 9:59 PM

Nadal now with 735 consecutive weeks in top 10, is only behind Connors (785).

by Anonymousreply 411May 21, 2019 10:01 PM

^ huh? You mean Nole?

by Anonymousreply 412May 21, 2019 10:02 PM

R410 makes sense as she used to date J. Melzer and Monfils

by Anonymousreply 413May 21, 2019 10:02 PM

Double huh, R412? Djokovic's consecutive run in the top 10 lasted from March 2007 to October 2017, which is nowhere near 735 consecutive weeks. He didn't return to the top 10 until July 2018.

by Anonymousreply 414May 21, 2019 10:25 PM

Nole.

by Anonymousreply 415May 21, 2019 10:27 PM

Some people sweat heavily; Rafa sweats like a racehorse. And he sweats through to top of his head, causing sweat to run down his forehead, into his eyes, etc. All his 'tics' are merely managing profuse sweat. You don't serve or return serve blinded by sweat. Even the headband doesn't completely do the trick. Yes, even pulling on his shorts is all about sweat management. Eventually it's just a habit, a 'better safe than sorry' ritual. I'm sorry to disappoint all the self-ascribed psychiatric professionals on DL proffering their OCD diagnosis. And the water bottles routine, as said upthread, is harmless superstition. Endearing actually.

by Anonymousreply 416May 21, 2019 10:49 PM

R416 there is no legit excuse for Nadal to go through the motion of putting imaginary hair behind his ears. He's been doing it for 2 years now

by Anonymousreply 417May 21, 2019 10:56 PM

R417 To be fair to Rafa it's become part of his motion. Like how people who've moved to contact lenses still go to push their glasses up their nose.

I do think he displays examples of OCD behaviour, but two years is a short time in his career. He's been doing the exact same thing everyday since he was a child, it can be hard to unlearn that.

by Anonymousreply 418May 21, 2019 11:09 PM

[quote]putting imaginary hair behind his ears.

Again, its sweat management. It's a condition known as hyper-hydrosis. When certain areas of the body are more prone to profuse sweating than other areas. For Rafa it's his scalp area. Differing degrees of intensity with each individual. Some people have manageable sweat, others are basically drowning. And fitness levels have nothing to do with it once a certain level of fitness is achieved.

by Anonymousreply 419May 21, 2019 11:28 PM

[quote] trevordonovan When someone's feet, hands, face, and armpits sweat excessively, it's called primary hyperhidrosis. #themoreyouknow #ck9

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420May 21, 2019 11:34 PM

R419 that's bs. When he used to have longer hair, it made sense to put any hair that fell down as he went to serve behind his ears. His hair is too short now to fall into his face. He keeps doing it simply out of habit

by Anonymousreply 421May 21, 2019 11:49 PM

Yes r421, you probably know better ....

by Anonymousreply 422May 22, 2019 12:47 AM

R409: Are you sure? Nadal was number 4 just before winning his first Roland Garros, he turned 19 by the end of the tournament. He won Montecarlo almost two months before and i think that put him top 30 (he rose to the top 5 really fast). But given Felix only turns 19 in August (and Nadal in june) it's possible that Nadal wasn't top 30 at the age he has now

by Anonymousreply 423May 22, 2019 2:10 PM

Yes, R423, it's a statistic that was provided by ATP per the link, the last sentence in the article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424May 22, 2019 2:30 PM

Nadal made the top 30 three months before his 19th birthday. He was only a couple of weeks older than Felix was when Felix made his top 30 ATP debut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425May 22, 2019 2:41 PM

Garin must be a bit rusty after a couple weeks off. He lost to Taro Daniel in 3 sets. Hopefully this doesn't mean he'll carry that form into RG

by Anonymousreply 426May 22, 2019 7:22 PM

And Dzumhur upsets wobbly Wawrinka.

by Anonymousreply 427May 22, 2019 7:37 PM

R425: So Nadal went from outside top 30 to number 2 in just three months

by Anonymousreply 428May 22, 2019 7:51 PM

In the beginning, it may just have been out of superstition but everything from the butt-picking, to the water bottle placement and the wiping away of hair that was once there but no longer is are all evident characteristics of OCD.

Murray said in one of those jokey interviews they do at some tournaments that Rafa was the last person he'd like to share a room with because Rafa would have to flick the lights on and off 30 times before he could finally go to sleep.

I bet he fucks Xisca/Mary/Maria/Francesca the exact same way each time.

by Anonymousreply 429May 23, 2019 4:23 AM

[quote] I bet he fucks Xisca/Mary/Maria/Francesca the exact same way each time.

Flicking her?

by Anonymousreply 430May 23, 2019 4:24 AM

^ lol!

by Anonymousreply 431May 23, 2019 10:29 AM

Shapo loses again. He was whining about everything today and often doing it in Russian.

by Anonymousreply 432May 23, 2019 4:50 PM

Raonic OUT of French Open.

Tiafoe now the last seed.

by Anonymousreply 433May 23, 2019 4:52 PM

[quote] Raonic OUT of French Open

Pig out!

by Anonymousreply 434May 23, 2019 5:08 PM

Davidovich had some injury on the feet and he lost in the third set. I suppose his breakthough has to wait.

Zverev is having trouble today against Dellien, that was expected because his easy victory against Gulbis has more to do with Gulbis making an pathetic match than with Sascha's good game

Felix is serving for the match

by Anonymousreply 435May 23, 2019 5:54 PM

Rudolf Molleker qualifies again after getting into the main draw in Australia

by Anonymousreply 436May 23, 2019 5:56 PM

Disgusted at Nadal's cakewalk draw.

by Anonymousreply 437May 23, 2019 6:02 PM

FAA is up to #24 in the ATP singles rankings with his win over Johnson today. A win over Basil tomorrow will make Felix the second-ranked Canadian within jumping distance of Raonic.

RG men's main singles draw is linked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438May 23, 2019 6:08 PM

[quote]Disgusted at Nadal's cakewalk draw

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439May 23, 2019 6:09 PM

SERENA SPOTTED IN WHEELCHAIR AT DISNEY PARIS?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440May 23, 2019 6:27 PM

Creepy + desperate for attention = A. Zverev

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441May 23, 2019 6:29 PM

Who’s that on Serena’s lap?

by Anonymousreply 442May 23, 2019 6:30 PM

R440 also why is another tennis player photographing Serena like a paparazzi.

by Anonymousreply 443May 23, 2019 6:31 PM

R441: He really miss the human touch after his girlfriend dumped him

by Anonymousreply 444May 23, 2019 6:38 PM

Maybe Serena didn't want to have to queue up for the rides?

by Anonymousreply 445May 23, 2019 6:39 PM

What's with the weird sweat stain on the guy behind Serena; is that her husband who fathered her BABY?

by Anonymousreply 446May 23, 2019 7:06 PM

yeah a real WTF again at Nadal's pathetically easy RG draw. He NEVER gets hard first week opponents there. Of all the guys he could have drawn, he gets 2 qualifiers in a row. Now maybe 1 of them might be a surprisingly tough opponent but that's not the point. Of all the floaters there...and we end up with a Garin vs. Opelka first round.

Contrast this with the floaters in the women's draw who mostly landed near the seeds. Osaka will have to deal with Azarenka or Ostapenko in round 2 while Svitolina has drawn Venus

the men's draw seems to really favor the seeds while the women's does not

by Anonymousreply 447May 23, 2019 7:09 PM

Again Serena gets a ridiculous draw. She's the only player with 3 Q's in her 8th and her first seeded opponent is injured and hasn't played in two months (was 100% certain she'd get Andreescu). Basically a cakewalk to the quarters unless one of those Q's is someone dangerous. Why am I not shocked at all?

Azarenka got fucked...again. She's got a former champ, top seed, and player that upset her last year in first 3 rounds. She has been very unlucky with the draws for the last year or more.

by Anonymousreply 448May 23, 2019 7:12 PM

R446 That's obviously a shadow from a balloon

by Anonymousreply 449May 23, 2019 7:15 PM

*meant to type cakewalk to 4th round where Barty will have her beat and repeatedly choke away the win (just like last year).

by Anonymousreply 450May 23, 2019 7:29 PM

[quote] is that her husband who fathered her BABY?

?

by Anonymousreply 451May 23, 2019 8:55 PM

I don't think that's her husband or her baby. We'd have heard something about it if she'd either got married or given birth, so that sounds very far-fetched.

by Anonymousreply 452May 23, 2019 8:57 PM

That’s what I thought, R452.

by Anonymousreply 453May 23, 2019 9:11 PM

Nando is peddling his baby on Insta harder than Serene ever had. Harder than any frau living in suburb

by Anonymousreply 454May 23, 2019 9:38 PM

Raonic out of #RG19, reportedly, which means that Frances Tiafoe gets in as the #32 seed, preventing this from being the first Slam in decades without a US man seeded.

by Anonymousreply 455May 23, 2019 9:44 PM

Kyrgios, had he not lost all ranking points from Rome following his default there, would have gotten the spot.

by Anonymousreply 456May 23, 2019 9:45 PM

Kiki Bertens could face Jo Konta, who beat her in the Rome semis, in the #RG19 third round.

by Anonymousreply 457May 23, 2019 9:49 PM

Projected men's #RG19 quarterfinals:

Djokovic-Zverev

Thiem-del Potro

Tsitsipas-Federer

Nishikori-Nadal

by Anonymousreply 458May 23, 2019 9:51 PM

Frances Tiafoe, lone American male seeded, opens against Krajinovic and could face Tsitsipas in R3.

by Anonymousreply 459May 23, 2019 9:52 PM

dammit I wanna see somebody new (Garin, Berrettini, FAA, Fritz, whoevs) in the quarters and semis

by Anonymousreply 460May 23, 2019 9:54 PM

I'm impressed with Fritz' result this week in Lyon. He's actually reached the SF

by Anonymousreply 461May 23, 2019 10:16 PM

He's been playing well on clay all season.

by Anonymousreply 462May 23, 2019 10:18 PM

Taylor has his toddler with him this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463May 23, 2019 10:26 PM

And he has great hair.

by Anonymousreply 464May 23, 2019 10:27 PM

R454 he's passing his kid around like a basket of breadsticks, making everyone take one.

by Anonymousreply 465May 23, 2019 10:27 PM

What’s all this talk about Serena and a BABY??!!

by Anonymousreply 466May 23, 2019 10:32 PM

Men's Tennis Forum is compiling it's 2019 most disliked player list. Some of these guys are crass,. Calling Tsitispas "Sissyass" and Del Potro, "Del Possum". You can also see the results from 2017 and 2018. The results over the years demonstrate that they are not big fans of ass pickers. Kyrgios should be the runaway favorite this year. After his comments about how the French Open sucks, he will probably freak out again. It;s easy to imagine the French fans taunting him, it obviously doesn't take much to set him off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467May 23, 2019 10:37 PM

R467 the majority of both tennisforum and menstennisforums don't speak English as a first language. For example, wtf is Del Possum supposed to mean? It's just another word that starts with a P.

by Anonymousreply 468May 23, 2019 10:42 PM

The only thing worth checking out on menstennisforum is the bulge thread.

by Anonymousreply 469May 23, 2019 10:51 PM

No, R468, the comments are around Del Potro's propensity to act fatigued and ready to fold, then miraculously finds a second and third and fourth wind, which is alleged to be a fake strategy tactic.

Some of the takedowns are hilarious, such as this one on Fed:

1. Federer Overrated and ugly game (he's nothing without the serve), fake personality, gets preferential treatment from tournament organizers, appalling fanbase. Manufactured PR image, vultured 12-15 slams. They say the eyes are the gates to the soul. But Federer's eyes are so sunk into their sockets that you need a flashlight to see them. Probably purposefully retracts them inside so that people won't see his ugly arrogant soul.

by Anonymousreply 470May 23, 2019 11:59 PM

Defending champs. (Rafa looks better with a hat on).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471May 24, 2019 12:09 AM

R468, as in: "playing possum" - is English your first language?

by Anonymousreply 472May 24, 2019 1:40 AM

Get help, R470.

Ugh, another Rafa cake walk to the final. Looks like it's #12 for him. Wake me when it's over.

by Anonymousreply 473May 24, 2019 1:44 AM

[quote] Federer Overrated and ugly game (he's nothing without the serve),

That is such an incorrect assessment. I agree with other things in that post but not that.

[quote] vultured 12-15 slams.

I don’t even know what that means.

by Anonymousreply 474May 24, 2019 2:03 AM

[quote]I don’t even know what that means

Me neither....how can you vulture a slam? I thought it meant playing small tournaments to gather ranking points

by Anonymousreply 475May 24, 2019 2:07 AM

R475, I think, in this context, it means "preying on lesser adversaries." It's the whole "Federer played most of his career in a weak era" argument. Of course, there's nothing you can do about your opposition; they are who they are.

by Anonymousreply 476May 24, 2019 2:40 AM

The women's draw is going to turn out SO ugly. Look at all the qualifiers who drew other scrubs, all the low ranked juniors getting first round matches against each other. The sheer ranking boosts on offer are astounding. But Azarenka's draw is former champ Ostapenko, then Osaka, then Sakkari. And Venus has to get through Svitolina, then Kozlova, and then former champ Muguruza.

Meanwhile the likes of Osaka etc. have super stacked draws. Even Kiki Bertens who is supposedly one of the favourites draws Pauline Parmentier at home in the first round (0-3 head to head), Alize Cornut in the second, and Jo Konta who last beat her in the third.

Really the only easier draws are for Halep, Pliskova, Serena and Stephens.

Mens is just total seed protection all the way through.

by Anonymousreply 477May 24, 2019 5:07 AM

It's absurd and just irrational hating to say Fed vultured 12-15 slams.

It's not like he played in the wheelchair tourney.

by Anonymousreply 478May 24, 2019 10:55 AM

Get help for what, R473? Extracting other threads' comments that I find to be amusing? If you're going to throw out pejorative remarks, at least substantiate them.

by Anonymousreply 479May 24, 2019 12:39 PM

I need to substantiate my remark, R470? Oh, the irony.

by Anonymousreply 480May 24, 2019 1:58 PM

Alt-Right favorite and DL Icon Tennis Sandyriene has qualified for RG main draw. He will play little Radu in the first round

by Anonymousreply 481May 24, 2019 2:24 PM

The irony is in your obtuseness, R473/R480. I was remarking that I found the comment from another thread to be amusing in the way that it described Federer. You seem to be objecting to the content of the other post in the other thread. I wasn't addressing whether there was any validity to the content, but its description of Federer was inventive.

by Anonymousreply 482May 24, 2019 2:27 PM

Suspect you will not be surprised to hear that Katie Boulter has withdrawn from the French Open this morning. This grifter travelled to Paris to withdraw on site this morning and will collect 50 percent of her prize money (about £20,000).

by Anonymousreply 483May 24, 2019 2:27 PM

This tweet is more phony and disingenuous than Kerber congratulating the biggest drama queen ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484May 24, 2019 2:29 PM

Roland Garros update:

OUT: Kyrgios

IN: 3rd Lucky Loser

Norrie will play against a Q/LL.

Whose hex worked on Nick? Kerber? Casper? Or Nole?

by Anonymousreply 485May 24, 2019 2:31 PM

Alternative facts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486May 24, 2019 2:35 PM

Yea R456, and if my aunt had a dick - she'd be my uncle.

by Anonymousreply 487May 24, 2019 3:11 PM

R487, ummm under the current scenario, your aunt doesn't have to have a dick to be your uncle. All she needs to do is to identify herself as one

by Anonymousreply 488May 24, 2019 3:17 PM

Is Fritz a deplorable?

by Anonymousreply 489May 24, 2019 3:19 PM

I told you Kyrgios would avoid Djokovic, just as he avoided Stan. That's why he freaked out and quit Madrid, not over a fan moving in the stands. Anyway, it's a good decision on his part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490May 24, 2019 3:23 PM

How out are your boobs?

by Anonymousreply 491May 24, 2019 3:41 PM

I absolutely stand corrected, R482. After looking at your post more closely, I see now that you were posting someone else's thoughts. Guess I skimmed your post instead of reading it more closely. Mea culpa.

Whoever wrote the original post, though, needs to get help. It's clear irrational hatred overcame logic and sense. I absolutely hate Nadal with a passion, but the man is one of the greatest players ever to play the game, is the best ever on clay for sure, is one of the greatest fighters on the court I've ever seen, and he deserves all his titles. He's had some weak draws over the years and I hate how players roll over for him at Roland Garros, but that's more to do with Nadal being so tough to beat in five sets. Only peak Djokovic and peak Federer usually have a shot at taking Nadal out (except at Wimbledon). Thiem may be working toward that. Time will tell.

I similarly couldn't stand Sampras back in the day, but the man was one of the greatest ever until this current generation came along. In his day, when Pete was on, no one could beat him, except maybe on the slow red clay at Roland Garros. Just because I don't like someone or don't root for the player doesn't mean I can't appreciate how good the player is.

by Anonymousreply 492May 24, 2019 3:56 PM

[quote] Thiem may be working toward that. Time will tell.

Thiem, time and trolley wait for no man. Let her go, motor man!

by Anonymousreply 493May 24, 2019 4:03 PM

I like your well thought out post, R492.

by Anonymousreply 494May 24, 2019 4:03 PM

R489 Not seen any evidence he is, but all that might mean is that he is smart enough to keep his mouth shut about it...

by Anonymousreply 495May 24, 2019 4:05 PM

Go the ATP site and you will find a record of every player's party registration and voting history for all federal, state and local elections. You will also find Google images photos of their yard signs.

by Anonymousreply 496May 24, 2019 4:28 PM

Reading tennis blogs was a big surprise for me lately. The number of absolute idiots who claim to be tennis fans is incredibly high. I totally understand not liking Federer, Nadal or Djokovic, and wanting them to lose every single match, but claiming Federer only won his GS because it was a weak era, Nadal is a pusher or Djokovic is no competence is simply ridiculous.

A month ago i read a comment on youtube of a guy who claim that Zverev is talentless and he would never win more than 6 GS (he wishes) like if winning 6 GS was nothing (i'm pretty sure Becker and Edberg have a different opinion). I don't know if having three of the greatest players of all time spoiled the reality for some people or if they were idiots from the beginning but sometimes one look way more inteligent with his mouth shut.

FAA (who by my surprise was on one of those list of most disliked players, unfortunately the guy didn't say the reason because Felix did absolutely nothing till now to be disliked) reached his second final. Zverev will face Jarry. Winning or losing that tournament doesn't change my opinion that he'll lose in the first rounds of Roland Garros

by Anonymousreply 497May 24, 2019 6:23 PM

R496: He is married with Raquel Pedraza which is obviously latina. He could be a deplorable anyway, but it seems less probable

by Anonymousreply 498May 24, 2019 6:24 PM

Thanks, R498.

Less probable or less plorable.

by Anonymousreply 499May 24, 2019 8:53 PM

And I'm married to Rachel Campos, who is obviously Latina, and and I'm nonetheless one of those Trumpist republican sycophants, so go figure!

by Anonymousreply 500May 24, 2019 9:10 PM

R500: Yes, but not everybody is that dumb

by Anonymousreply 501May 24, 2019 9:48 PM

Thiem split with Gunter Bresnik, that surprised me. Right before RG, too!

by Anonymousreply 502May 24, 2019 10:00 PM

[quote]Nando is peddling his baby on Insta harder than Serena ever has

Today it was Shapo's turn to meet the baby, yesterday it was Rafa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503May 24, 2019 10:09 PM

Thanks R488 you're right - she IS my uncle.

by Anonymousreply 504May 25, 2019 1:08 AM

R502 so now would be a perfect time for that whore Dani to try and get with Thiem

by Anonymousreply 505May 25, 2019 2:29 AM

If Dani and Domi form a team then DL tennis thread will explode.

by Anonymousreply 506May 25, 2019 3:06 AM

Kyrgios had the right idea. He should withdraw from every tournament. Forever.

by Anonymousreply 507May 25, 2019 3:16 AM

RG Sunday OOP is out Some potentially good men's and women's scheduled

by Anonymousreply 508May 25, 2019 4:07 AM

They did not put Svitolina /Venus match either on Philip court or Suzzane court. What a disgrace

by Anonymousreply 509May 25, 2019 4:39 AM

I think Domi is out of Dani's league now...

by Anonymousreply 510May 25, 2019 10:38 AM

And again the cushy scheduling for Fed. He plays Sunday and will get 3 days off before his next match if he wins. Novak will probably play Tuesday. The French fans will go nuts for him.

by Anonymousreply 511May 25, 2019 11:17 AM

Busted

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512May 25, 2019 11:27 AM

The qualifiers are

Sandgren

Caruso

Benchetrit

Ymer (m)

Bolelli

Vatutin

Monteiro

Maden

Martinez

Coppejans

Rola

Garcia Lopez

Travaglia

Muller

Hanfmann

Molleker

by Anonymousreply 513May 25, 2019 11:39 AM

Pera

Kukova

Nara

Bolsova

Lepchenko

Gatto Monticone (first GS main draw at 31)

Lottner

Zhuk

Blinkova

Samsonova

Paolini

Rybakina

by Anonymousreply 514May 25, 2019 11:41 AM

Lucky losers so far:

Stakhovsky (Berdych)

Rosol (Roanic)

Otte (Kyrgios)

Bouzková (Boulter)

Babos (Giorgi)

by Anonymousreply 515May 25, 2019 11:47 AM

I don't see a problem with what Boulter did. First of all, she would have been inconsequential in the draw anyway. She played well enough over the year to scrape in the far end of the draw to fill it out so why not pocket some cash that probably makes up a big percentage of her earnings? I don't feel that sorry for the "next in" who didn't get in. Had she won 2 matches against weak competition in the qualifiers, she would have gotten in as a Lucky Loser, at minimum. But she lost her chance on the court.

Similarly, why worry about Federer's schedule? We all know he is going to catch these breaks so the other guys are going to have to beat him. They can't fold like a tent in the rain when they have him on the ropes like Coric did last week.

by Anonymousreply 516May 25, 2019 2:12 PM

I think the issue with Boulter was how she did it. She announced a few weeks back that she was unable to play due to a stress fracture in her back. That's a serious injury. She had no intention ever to play in Paris but hopped on the Eurostar to collect her £20k then pretended she'd hoped she could play, which no-one in the world believes.

I understand the £20k is something like 5% of her career earnings so it's a large amount of money for her, but it's the ridiculous way she went about it. I understand it's not illegal and that she hasn't broken any rules, but there's something "off" about it all. And she's treating us all like we're stupid.

by Anonymousreply 517May 25, 2019 2:24 PM

What she did is well within the rules, but it just looks bad the way she handled it. She had already withdrawn from the grass tournament in Surbiton BEFORE suddenly withdrawing from RG after the draw deadline, so there's proof she never intended to play it.

Unlike Meldonia or Makarova who knew they weren't going to play RG and took themselves off the list, Boulter [and professional scammer Giorgi] took advantage of these rules. Whilst it's not illegal, it's a bit unfair to the two players who had to play qualies (incl. Voegele next in who lost) and the two players just outside the qualifier draw who could probably REALLY use that 7000 euro just from losing in the first round of Qs.

Also LITERALLY running away from the press and media is a bit of an embarrassing way to go. This campaign didn't age well...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518May 25, 2019 2:27 PM

Oleg S. ‏

@AnnaK_4ever Follow Follow @AnnaK_4ever More Paire eliminating NextGen : QF: 20 year old Shapovalov

SF: 21 year old Fritz

F: 18 year old Auger-Aliassime

by Anonymousreply 519May 25, 2019 2:47 PM

I'd let Paire eliminate me any day.

by Anonymousreply 520May 25, 2019 2:48 PM

After a week of being obnoxious and jeering at the local crowd, Putin's daughter wins her first ever title in Nuremberg (over Tamara Zidansek). Came down to the 3rd set.

by Anonymousreply 521May 25, 2019 3:01 PM

FAA was said to be injured during the match with Paire.

by Anonymousreply 522May 25, 2019 3:45 PM

R522 Groin injury. Said he didn't want to retire as it would have taken away from Paire's win. In doubt for RG now.

by Anonymousreply 523May 25, 2019 3:51 PM

Why take issue with Fed's sweet schedule? Because he PAYS for it. That's why asshole.

by Anonymousreply 524May 25, 2019 4:06 PM

Big battle in the Strasbourg final, 3 hours long with lots of drama (and high quality tennis). Dayana Yastremska def. Carolina Garcia 6-4, 5-7, 7-6(3), after blowing two match points in the second set. Garcia won the set and blew her own match point in set 3, and Yastremska took it to a tiebreaker which she ran away with. Garcia crying at the end, it was a very tough and emotional fight.

The 4th member on the list of multiple title winners in 2019 (with Bertens, Kvitova, and Pliskova).

The way Yastremska is playing I can definitely see her killing off Carl Suarez Navarro in the first round at RG, although I think she likes to be fed pace rather than variety.

by Anonymousreply 525May 25, 2019 4:07 PM

FAA and Paire were quite affectionate in their handshake and embrace at the net. It seemed that FAA's movement was okay during the final. Where does it states that he's doubtful for FO, R523?

Interesting Times' take on players to watch at RG...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526May 25, 2019 4:31 PM

R525 Yastremska trying to break the rhythm in the 3rd set with a MTO, again. Obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 527May 25, 2019 4:38 PM

[quote] although I think she likes to be fed pace rather than variety.

Is this where we talk about Fed Pace?

by Anonymousreply 528May 25, 2019 4:40 PM

Why don't they just take a point away on your next service game for taking an MTO? If you're really hurt, it's still worth it; if you aren't, you might think a little harder about it. If one point doesn't do it, make it two.

by Anonymousreply 529May 25, 2019 4:59 PM

shame about FAA. I was hoping he could get that title. Now asswipe Paire has won 2 this year? weird.

by Anonymousreply 530May 25, 2019 5:01 PM

R529 It was embarassing. She had the phisyo apply a bandaid on a nonexistent wound on her foot. Under the sock, like wtf.

by Anonymousreply 531May 25, 2019 5:05 PM

Let's be serious, Felix is not solid enough to defeat Paire if he is having an inspired day (injured or not).

Felix is having very bad luck on GS, first retirement on US Open, then the lose on the Australian qualies and now this. I hope he recovers, i don't know when his match was schedules, if it was on tuesday maybe he has time to recover, specially because it's predicted to be rainy on the first days

by Anonymousreply 532May 25, 2019 5:19 PM

I'm surprised Paire got through the Lyon draw with his forehand unless he fixed it this week. He has matches when it looks recreational level

by Anonymousreply 533May 25, 2019 5:22 PM

She did it in the Hua Hin final as well and ended up screwing Tomljanovic in the crucial moments of the match.

To be fair I don't think that's the [only] reason she won today, though she did interrupt Garcia's momentum after going up a hold. The worst part is that she doesn't even bother pretending she's hampered before or after. I might be more receptive if her movement had altered, her hitting, something. When Andreescu had her MTOs in Miami she had played a million matches in a row. Even in this match, Garcia had arm and ankle taping and didn't make any fuss at all about it.

It's even more frustrating because Yastremska is genuinely a really good player and shouldn't even need to resort to those antics. When she's on she may have the best return of serve on the tour apart from Serena. Hopefully she grows out of this gamesmanship, she's still only a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 534May 25, 2019 5:22 PM

We won't ever know, will we, R532? An inspired and uninjured FAA when he's on his game could have taken Paire down, especially given Paire's lack of consistency. We expect inconsistency from an 18-year-old. From a 30-year-old, not so much...

by Anonymousreply 535May 25, 2019 5:26 PM

Felix had his crotch thoroughly rubbed during his SF match against Basilashvili, so it must be a recurring issue.

by Anonymousreply 536May 25, 2019 5:28 PM

Garcia should be experienced enough to ignore the gamesmanship.

It's a shame though as Yastremska is obviously quite talented. She's 19 and already 3 titles.

by Anonymousreply 537May 25, 2019 5:29 PM

[quote]Novak will probably play Tuesday. The French fans will go nuts for him.

The French also thought Jerry Lewis was hilarious and held him to genius status.

by Anonymousreply 538May 25, 2019 5:30 PM

Some one needs to create a new thread specifically for the the French Open.

by Anonymousreply 539May 25, 2019 5:34 PM

R535: ON hard courts for sure, on clay, not right now. Paire is a tricky player, he is irregular, but when he is on you need to be on a higher level that Felix is right now to defeat him.

I'm not surprised about Yastremska behaviour, people complain about next gen players but court behaviour is way worse on young girls, the junior tour is full of bad hanshakes and bratty behaviour, at least boys seem able to act well once the match ends. I still remember the Khromacheva-Putintseva matches when they were both U14, and those were full of bitchiness

by Anonymousreply 540May 25, 2019 5:34 PM

Putintseva is still the worst

by Anonymousreply 541May 25, 2019 5:37 PM

Which one, R539?

by Anonymousreply 542May 25, 2019 6:02 PM

omg this Geneva final is a mix of the very good and the very bad. Lots of wild forehand misses by both but some impressive clutch play too.

Zverev had 6-3 in the tiebreak but blew it and then won 10-8. Both missed match points they should have won.

Jarry is not too bright. He kept going to Zverev's backhand in the last few points which cost him

by Anonymousreply 543May 25, 2019 7:16 PM

Jarry is not inteligent on court, he is brave, but using his brain will put him on the next level.

Zverev needs to improve a lot if he wants to reach the second week of Roland Garros

by Anonymousreply 544May 25, 2019 7:26 PM

That one, r542

by Anonymousreply 545May 25, 2019 7:42 PM

Is Sharapova semi-retired? She's not even posting photos/video of her practicing tennis on Instagram anymore.

by Anonymousreply 546May 25, 2019 11:01 PM

Putinsova won . She defended her title in Germany

by Anonymousreply 547May 25, 2019 11:09 PM

Auger Aliassime is up to world No. 22

by Anonymousreply 548May 25, 2019 11:12 PM

I have an awful feeling Sharapova will announce her retirement at Wimbledon "where it all began".

by Anonymousreply 549May 25, 2019 11:13 PM

Felix Auger-Aliassime loses 6-3, 6-4 to Benoit Paire in the final. In p.c. after said his groin injury got worse after 1st set. He thought about stopping but didn't want to ruin Paire's win. He said they will decide in next few days if he can play Roland Garros.

by Anonymousreply 550May 25, 2019 11:13 PM

Farah

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551May 25, 2019 11:22 PM

R547 it's Putintseva's first title.

by Anonymousreply 552May 25, 2019 11:27 PM

I am glad that tiny dick Nick has withdrawn from the French Open. Actually, he should have been banned but ATP did not take action because from pressure from their golden boy Roger. But at the end of the day, mother nature has done ultimate justice

by Anonymousreply 553May 26, 2019 12:35 AM

r19, Kyrigos has said exactly how I feel about Joker. I might change my opinion of him.

by Anonymousreply 554May 26, 2019 1:20 AM

r549, yeah in 2021,

She's gonna to give it one strong push to get to qualify for the 2020 Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 555May 26, 2019 1:22 AM

I don't want Sharapova to retire just yet. There are several players I want to see give her a beatdown before she hangs up her rackets

by Anonymousreply 556May 26, 2019 1:56 AM

R556 Well you better hope she finds that 'replacement' she said she was looking for...

by Anonymousreply 557May 26, 2019 2:05 AM

You people lack basic human empathy! Do you really expect Sharapova to compete at the same level as before without the medicine for her diabetes and heart conditions?

by Anonymousreply 558May 26, 2019 2:13 AM

Sharapova's ranking will plunge because she isn't defending her QF points from last years, so she's falling out of contention for making the Russian Olympic team.

I still think she'll retire at her home slam - the US Open. No slam treated her better. The French Open president slammed her a few years ago - "we organize a slam, not a casting call" - when they denied her a wild card. While the US Open jumped at the chance of giving her a wild card and she's only played on Ashe for the last 15 years. Even King Roger has been dumped onto grandstand a few times over the years (the infamous loss to Robredo in the Fourth Round).

by Anonymousreply 559May 26, 2019 3:47 AM

Check out the racist comments to this post and in multiple languages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560May 26, 2019 5:03 AM

Potapova is near to eliminate Kerber.

Muguruza lost first set against Towsend (but it's winning in the second)

by Anonymousreply 561May 26, 2019 10:15 AM

And Kerber is the first seed eliminated

by Anonymousreply 562May 26, 2019 10:23 AM

Bye Drama Queenber. She was never even going to try here, was she? The second set was basically a tank. I guess this is the flipside of the Katie Boulter rule.

I'd forgotten just how damn sluggish and slow Roland Garros is. I've been watching most of the clay warmups (both ATP and WTA) and even compared to Rome which is supposedly the most similar, it looks like they're hitting through mud. Currently watching Tsitsipas v Marterer and Stef is really having to wallop the shit out of the ball for it to go deep.

by Anonymousreply 563May 26, 2019 10:52 AM

I know Townsend gets a lot of stick for being fat etc, but when she's good she's bloody good. Likely to go out to Muguruza soon but she does have some flashes of impressive play.

by Anonymousreply 564May 26, 2019 11:05 AM

Dimi up a set and break against Twatsarevic, hopefully he'll be able to see this one through.

by Anonymousreply 565May 26, 2019 11:06 AM

2 breaks now and Janko having a medical.

by Anonymousreply 566May 26, 2019 11:08 AM

R564 I agree. She's the laughing stock of tennis fans everywhere, but I actually don't think her weight is what's holding her back at all. She's heavier but she defends and counterpunches *extremely* well for her short limbs. And her big topsin-heavy forehand is very ATP and catches a lot of the girls by surprise, as well as all the slice and dice she can do. Terrific volleys and netplay too. Very fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 567May 26, 2019 11:20 AM

[quote]Someone needs to create a new thread specifically for the the French Open

This one is almost full so the next thread can be a French Open one

by Anonymousreply 568May 26, 2019 11:23 AM

Cilic, Muguruza through

by Anonymousreply 569May 26, 2019 11:31 AM

R564: That's exactly the problem, she has a lot of talent but her poor fitness will never let her reach her potential

by Anonymousreply 570May 26, 2019 11:31 AM

[quote]Twatsarevic

Snort!

Titsy's ass is getting rounder :-)

by Anonymousreply 571May 26, 2019 11:31 AM

Dimitrov started really bad, but he had a nice reaction. Of course Tipsarevic is one of the easiest rivals you can face on first round right now

by Anonymousreply 572May 26, 2019 11:32 AM

Rain predicted for Tuesday which could delay Novak's 1st match. Is Mirka working her voodoo?

by Anonymousreply 573May 26, 2019 11:40 AM

I fucking knew Dimi would find a way to fuck this up.

by Anonymousreply 574May 26, 2019 12:09 PM

Tsitsipas was very solid today. Even in the third, he really had no problem holding his serve. Nice way to start.

Now, Federer

Djokovic and Nadal, debut tomorrow.

Querrey is out, Laaksonnen in

by Anonymousreply 575May 26, 2019 12:31 PM

It seems Dimitrov reacted, 5-5 in the fourth

by Anonymousreply 576May 26, 2019 12:32 PM

FAA out, Davidovich in

by Anonymousreply 577May 26, 2019 12:59 PM

What a mess Dimitrov made of this match.

Also I know it's not *quite* a rainbow, but Nishikori's outfit screams 'gay rights'!!

by Anonymousreply 578May 26, 2019 1:21 PM

Quite disappointed by FAA's withdrawal.

Yes, interesting study in contrasts between Kei's screaming neon and Halys being forced to wear a nightmare right out of Little Shop of Horrors. This is Nike's worst effort ever--unflattering, unsightly, unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 579May 26, 2019 1:39 PM

French Open thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580May 26, 2019 2:13 PM

I had forgotten how long a 3 out of 5 can take......

by Anonymousreply 581May 26, 2019 3:16 PM

[quote]Also I know it's not *quite* a rainbow, but Nishikori's outfit screams 'gay rights'!!

that's a little far-fetched lol, but he did look....colorful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582May 26, 2019 3:33 PM

Seems a shame to leave this thread unfinished when the other thread has begun with the French Open, so will close this one with...

by Anonymousreply 583May 26, 2019 5:55 PM

a lament for Felix's groin injury...

by Anonymousreply 584May 26, 2019 5:56 PM

and celebrations of withdrawals from Isner...

by Anonymousreply 585May 26, 2019 5:57 PM

Querrey....

by Anonymousreply 586May 26, 2019 5:57 PM

But we'll return to this thread once French open is over (it's what we do in every GS)

by Anonymousreply 587May 26, 2019 5:57 PM

Kyrgios...

by Anonymousreply 588May 26, 2019 5:57 PM

and the early demise of Gulbis...

by Anonymousreply 589May 26, 2019 6:01 PM

Tipsarevic...

by Anonymousreply 590May 26, 2019 6:01 PM

Nole.

by Anonymousreply 591May 26, 2019 6:06 PM

Titsy.

by Anonymousreply 592May 26, 2019 6:06 PM

Poohey

by Anonymousreply 593May 26, 2019 6:06 PM

Domicakes

by Anonymousreply 594May 26, 2019 6:06 PM

A. Zverev

by Anonymousreply 595May 26, 2019 6:08 PM

M. Zverev

by Anonymousreply 596May 26, 2019 6:08 PM

Flopos

by Anonymousreply 597May 26, 2019 6:08 PM

Misery

by Anonymousreply 598May 26, 2019 6:08 PM

Gramps

by Anonymousreply 599May 26, 2019 6:09 PM

Puig!

by Anonymousreply 600May 26, 2019 6:09 PM

Roland Garros

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601May 26, 2019 6:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!