Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Inconsequential American cities: Sacramento

"It kills me when people talk about California hedonism. Anybody who talks about California hedonism has never spent a Christmas in Sacramento."

- Joan Didion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 13, 2019 2:20 AM

Are state capitals artificial constructs for the administration of government?

by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2019 5:04 PM

It's dirty everywhere. Has no cultural offerings at all even though it has a population over 500K. It's amazing the city is nearly the same size as Portland but has virtually nothing to offer.

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2019 5:05 PM

I had a boyfriend who came from there--he used to refer to it as Excremento.

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2019 5:08 PM

Shacramento

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2019 5:10 PM

The Sacrificial Kings offer entertainment

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2019 5:11 PM

Hopefully it might become an interesting city in the future given that so many creative young people are being pushed out of the Bay Area and LA because of the housing costs. It's the fastest growing city in the state.

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2019 5:13 PM

It is amazingly soulless. Hot as hell in the summer. Zero cultural offerings. Not particularly inexpensive either for what it doesn't offer. A lot of middle class Deplorables. Sacramento embodies "there is no there there". Weirdly, give me that shithole Stockton any day. A big mix of cultures, and some great, cheap ethnic food of all stripes. Just dodge the bullets and you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2019 5:14 PM

Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson had something to say (or sing) about Sacramento back in the day:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2019 5:16 PM

I know several people from there who married at 17 or 18. What's the deal? Alabama on the Delta?

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2019 5:21 PM

Per its wiki entry Sacramento has the 7th highest LGBT population in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2019 5:26 PM

There are a handful of state capitals that are relatively important cities in their own right, like Boston, Atlanta, Phoenix, and, now, I guess, Austin.

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2019 5:30 PM

It's hot as hell in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2019 5:37 PM

There are a lot worse places. I would choose Sacramento before St Louis, Detroit, Memphis, Little Rock, Kansas City, Dallas. Access to the incredible natural beauty of CA can not be underestimated. Sure the city itself may not be ideal - but a lot of people would love to live anywhere in CA.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2019 5:50 PM

Sacramento has a rocking gay community.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2019 6:00 PM

Two hours from SF, two hours from Tahoe/Reno. Those are its pluses. Rafting on the American River is fun in the summer. Near a well-regarded university (UCDavis) that has its medical school/hospital in Sacramento.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2019 6:38 PM

Provincial.

by Anonymousreply 16May 13, 2019 2:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!