Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In what universe is Gale Gordon considered funny?

Because it's certainly not this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 9, 2020 6:10 PM

Fuck off and die...

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2019 12:17 PM

In what universe was The Lucy Show considered funny?

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2019 12:28 PM

OP = Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2019 12:29 PM

The universe of Lucy’s mind.

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2019 12:35 PM

To R2 -

I KNEW I should have aborted your ass!!

But my pregnancy with you was too much of a ratings-booster.

by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2019 12:37 PM

I thought he was funny when I was a kid. Blustery. Cartoonish. Now I wonder how bored he must've been. How many different ways can you say, "Mrs. Charmichael!", "Lucille!" and deny allowances? At least he got to do a cartwheel once in a while. I'm sure he and Mary Jane fooled around behind Lucy's back. Poor Mrs. Mooney.

by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2019 12:40 PM

That kind of humor has its beginnings in vaudeville or something. Broad, slapstick-y type stuff.

by Anonymousreply 7May 10, 2019 12:43 PM

I laughed when I was a kid but probably haven’t watched any of the shows with him in 40 years. Still laugh out loud at ILL.

by Anonymousreply 8May 10, 2019 12:47 PM

He was far worse in Dennis the Menace. He killed that show with a bullet to the head. He must have been enormously liked and always totally reliable.

Even as a child I hated him. And the only way he was ever with Mary Jane was when he would go to her house to watch a Mario Lanza picture on Million Dollar Movie.

by Anonymousreply 9May 10, 2019 12:48 PM

As I child I thought he was such a sexy man. I loved his mustache and his suits. I loved how excited and enraged he would become.

by Anonymousreply 10May 10, 2019 12:50 PM

R7 got it right; he was a radio actor originally. His type of broad, blustery humor was an archetype of those early radio shows and they carried over to TV sitcoms for awhile. His style of acting blended in with the early radio and '50s TV shows, but unfortunately he stayed the same while styles changed, and since he was active into the 1980s, it really stood out. I don't know whether Lucy considered him a good luck charm or what, but let's face it, Here's Lucy and Life with Lucy wouldn't have been good no matter who her sidekick was.

by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2019 12:54 PM

He always seemed so gay

by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2019 12:54 PM

I really can't watch episodes of I love Lucy for some reason, it does nothing for me. I get my Lucy fix through Here's Lucy, The Lucy Show, The Long Long Trailer and Yours Mine and Ours. Gale is one of the best things about Here's Lucy and The Lucy Show.

And he did seem very, very gay.

by Anonymousreply 13May 10, 2019 12:55 PM

I feel like Lucy grew less funny over the years.

Her schick worked on ILL and the first couple of seasons of TLS. Vivian was a perfect foil/sidekick. After Viv left, it was over.

by Anonymousreply 14May 10, 2019 1:05 PM

She was a nasty, humorless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 15May 10, 2019 1:07 PM

Beware OP. There's at least one ILL troll on here who insists GG would have been far superior to William Frawley as the Ricardo's landlord. Yeesh.

by Anonymousreply 16May 10, 2019 1:11 PM

No love for Mr. Drysdale? He wasn't quite as bumbling an idiot as GG was, he was merely clueless. His dyke secretary ran his life, so it went smoothly.

by Anonymousreply 17May 10, 2019 1:15 PM

Even as a kid, I knew Joseph Kearns was far superior on Dennis the Menace.

by Anonymousreply 18May 10, 2019 1:37 PM

R18 I like much of Gordon's work, but you're right. He was not good on "Dennis," and had the unenviable task of being a replacement character.

by Anonymousreply 19May 10, 2019 1:43 PM

He was genuinely funny on the radio in sitcoms like "Our Miss Brooks." He was a perfect foil to Eve Arden's sarcastic reaction to his blustery demands. (I'm not that old, I've listened to tapes).

He was Lucy's first choice for Fred Mertz, which would've make Vivian Vance happier than being paired with Bill Frawley. Gordon wouldn't have been as effective as Frawley though.

by Anonymousreply 20May 10, 2019 1:43 PM

[quote][R18] I like much of Gordon's work, but you're right. He was not good on "Dennis," and had the unenviable task of being a replacement character.

The problem with that is that Dennis wasn't even a menace anymore. His conflict was with Mr. Wilson, and he was gone. There just wasn't strong enough of a motivation for him to be trying the same stuff with Mr. Wilson's brother. Of course, did we really need to see Dennis's teenage years?

by Anonymousreply 21May 10, 2019 1:45 PM

Is it true Gale Gordon was also up for the part in Kramer vs. Kramer played by Meryl Streep?

Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 22May 10, 2019 1:46 PM

He was a bad choice to replace Kearns on Dennis. Kearns was a fussbudget uncle type who still showed a fondness for Dennis. Gordon played the role as an asshole who hated kids.

by Anonymousreply 23May 10, 2019 1:46 PM

His schtick was old hat by the 1970s. In the last two seasons of "Here's Lucy," his character was softened and he was able to be funny occasionally without resorting to his old schtick.

by Anonymousreply 24May 10, 2019 1:47 PM

In the universe made of painted backdrops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2019 1:50 PM

The last season of [italic]Dennis the Menace[/italic] overlapped with the first season of [italic]The Lucy Show[/italic], so the first season of the latter had Charles Lane as a banker trying to keep Lucy from going over budget.

by Anonymousreply 26May 10, 2019 1:50 PM

R25 On 16" or 19" standard definition TVs, they didn't stick out like they do now.

by Anonymousreply 27May 10, 2019 1:54 PM

He was pretty good on radio. I loved his "Mr Judson" on "Burns and Allen." He was a millionaire from Texas who thought everything was about Texas and anything about Texas was great. It was parodied as "The Rich Texan" on "the Simpsons."

He also was excellent with Bea Benaderet on "My Favorite Husband," the radio version of "I Love Lucy."

by Anonymousreply 28May 10, 2019 1:58 PM

[quote] He was pretty good on radio. I loved his "Mr Judson" on "Burns and Allen." He was a millionaire from Texas who thought everything was about Texas and anything about Texas was great. It was parodied as "The Rich Texan" on "the Simpsons."

They also paid homage to Frank Nelson with the "Yessssssss?" guy.

by Anonymousreply 29May 10, 2019 2:02 PM

As a kid, I found him mildly funny as Mr. Conklin, the pompous school principal, on reruns of "Our Miss Brooks" (his commitment to that series prevented him from taking the role of Fred Mertz), but tiresomely one-note on "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy." But apparently he was very well liked; he worked constantly on radio and television.

by Anonymousreply 30May 10, 2019 2:02 PM

[quote][R25] On 16" or 19" standard definition TVs, they didn't stick out like they do now.

They even looked fake on taped shows and even more so on filmed shows now that they've been remastered.

by Anonymousreply 31May 10, 2019 2:04 PM

r26 Lucy fired Lane because he couldn't remember his lines and she refused to allow cue cards. He went over to Petticoat Junction and had the last laugh living until 2007, (he died at 102), working steadily until 1995. His last acting credit was a voice over, in 2006 as a narrator in a film short.

Lucie Arnaz says on "Here's Lucy," her mother was so busy with producing, directing and starring that she came to totally rely on cue cards to the point, she didn't really know what was going on with the script. "Of course," Lucie added "She never let anyone else use them. Desi and I were expected to know our lines."

by Anonymousreply 32May 10, 2019 2:05 PM

Today's audience can't relate to the old shows and performers. Now, they only laugh is when a character utters and obscenity or gets hit in the nuts.

by Anonymousreply 33May 10, 2019 2:07 PM

This thread made me remember that last night I had a dream about Vivian Vance. It had to do with a pun on "vents" (as in clothing). In the dream I was going to post excitedly about it on DL.

by Anonymousreply 34May 10, 2019 2:07 PM

OP he was the straight man the funny people played off of. He wasn't supposed to be funny in the same way someone like Lucille Ball was. He was there to support & enable her and other's comedic brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2019 2:10 PM

Frank Nelson was funny. Similar type. Gale was not. Don't hire your friends, or you end up with your life's version of Here's Lucy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2019 2:10 PM

A laugh AT rather than laugh WITH

by Anonymousreply 37May 10, 2019 2:31 PM

r35 see Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 38May 10, 2019 2:50 PM

r23 nails the Dennis the Menace dynamic

by Anonymousreply 39May 10, 2019 2:57 PM

[quote]He was a bad choice to replace Kearns on Dennis. Kearns was a fussbudget uncle type who still showed a fondness for Dennis. Gordon played the role as an asshole who hated kids.

In fairness to Gordon, Jay North was pretty easy to hate. Not one of the better child actors.

by Anonymousreply 40May 10, 2019 3:01 PM

R40 Gee, Mr. Wil-SON.

by Anonymousreply 41May 10, 2019 3:02 PM

He was funny on the radio with Our Miss Brooks.

For some reason I find the radio version of that show hilarious but can’t make it through an episode of the TV show and the movie is awful.

by Anonymousreply 42May 10, 2019 3:06 PM

For what it's worth, the 1980s cartoon was closest to the original [italic]Dennis the Menace[/italic] comic strip. The 1993 movie, which saw a concurrent cartoon reboot, tried to combined the mutually exclusive elements of those prior adaptations and mix it with the same John Hughes funny/creepy tone of [italic]Home Alone[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 43May 10, 2019 3:08 PM

r40 = Jon Provost

by Anonymousreply 44May 10, 2019 3:09 PM

Gale lived until 89 dying in 1995. I was really into Here's Lucy and The Lucy show a few summers ago. That summer I also watched The Burbs. I thought the neighbor that goes missing sounded like Gale Gordon, but thought there was no way he was alive then. It was him. His character in the movie was quite the eldergay. 1989.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 10, 2019 3:12 PM

Gale Gordon - You're no Frank Nelson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 10, 2019 4:13 PM

Desi Jr. and Patty Duke sort of put a damper on Lucy's humor.

by Anonymousreply 47May 10, 2019 4:21 PM

GG had sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 48May 10, 2019 6:29 PM

R48 For once, we agree.

by Anonymousreply 49May 10, 2019 7:38 PM

Is that R45 toupee supposed to be funny?

by Anonymousreply 50May 10, 2019 10:54 PM

R50 yes, he did not wear one in real life or on “Life With Lucy.”

by Anonymousreply 51May 10, 2019 11:47 PM

So Frank Nelson was the guy who sells 0 calorie cola on Midnight With Madeline. Oprah could use somebody like him.

by Anonymousreply 52May 11, 2019 12:16 AM

It's not that Gale Gordon was not funny at all, but was limited in how he was funny. Basically a one-trick pony. He was more of a straight man to Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 53May 11, 2019 12:19 AM

FWIW, I had a small connection with a dinner theater where Gale G was a frequent performer through his later years. He would stay at the hotel with his wife of several decades, and they were both absolutely adored by all the staff, directors, fellow performers, restaurant staff and and even housekeepers. He (and she) were charming, witty, extremely kind and generous. He was also 100% reliable. Over the years, I never heard a negative word uttered about them.

by Anonymousreply 54May 11, 2019 12:30 AM

He was just lovable.

by Anonymousreply 55May 11, 2019 12:32 AM

(This video is mislabeled.)

I have never seen these opening credits before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 11, 2019 1:28 PM

R56, Lucille Ball hated the Season 5 opening with her as a jack-in-the-box. It was used for only a few episodes and then replaced with a revised version of the kaleidoscope opening.

by Anonymousreply 57May 11, 2019 2:09 PM

Thanks r57!

by Anonymousreply 58May 11, 2019 2:16 PM

All five "Lucy Show" opening credit sequences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 11, 2019 2:59 PM

Mr Mooney was a lot and I mean a LOT better of a character in Danfield than in Los Angeles. He was more rounded and had varied interests, but after the move to California, he just yelled and the writers clearly had no idea what a banker did.

by Anonymousreply 60May 11, 2019 3:49 PM

Humor was different back then

by Anonymousreply 61May 11, 2019 3:56 PM

Or maybe "The Lucy Show" just wasn't very humorous.

by Anonymousreply 62May 11, 2019 3:58 PM

It was horrible even back then.

I would say like the Carol Burnett show but it was hilarious when it first aired and I was the same age. Now it's god awful.

I don't think any comic icon has worn as badly as her. And in drama she was always excruciating.

by Anonymousreply 63May 11, 2019 4:30 PM

Sorry. 'as badly as she.' I think that's correct. Or is either correct?

Any way Lucy could shoot out a zinger like nobody's business in her RKO days and she was also a very good dramatic actress which Burnett never was.

by Anonymousreply 64May 11, 2019 4:35 PM

Mr Mooney times 3!

Watch from 2:45 to 3:15.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 11, 2019 4:40 PM

I agree completely about Burnett's show. I thought her sketches were hilarious when I was young (the "Gone With the Wind" parody mostly holds up, and the curtains/dress bit is a classic), but I find her show unwatchable now. Burnett also had a blind spot about Tim Conway, whom she thought was a comic genius. Even when I was young, I found him utterly predictable and painfully unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 66May 11, 2019 4:44 PM

R59, the photo in the center right was an outtake from the famous TV antennae sequence. Lucy was in the store trying to get the owner to put up their antennae for free. He had these TV displays with the screens cut out and Lucy used one to demonstrate how bad their picture is.

Gordon was not bad in the first few seasons of The Lucy Show but the writing was much better as well. He just kept getting angrier and angrier in each season. Granted, the Lucy character got worse and worse as well.

by Anonymousreply 67May 11, 2019 6:13 PM

[quote]FWIW, I had a small connection with a dinner theater where Gale G was a frequent performer through his later years.

How was his "Hamlet?" Willy Loman?

by Anonymousreply 68May 12, 2019 5:18 AM

Was it the Mr. Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater?

by Anonymousreply 69May 12, 2019 2:37 PM

I never understood the closing credits to the Lucy Show where she appears as a head coming out of a shoe, giving stern looks. WTF??

by Anonymousreply 70May 12, 2019 3:18 PM

Lucy was WAY past her expiration date by the 1970s. Shows like Mary Tyler Moore and All in the Family captured the spirit of the decade.

Lucy was using thrice recycled scripts from ILL by that point.

by Anonymousreply 71May 12, 2019 3:40 PM

She was repeating her own stuff, this time in color, before those shows premiered.

So did William Asher when [italic]Bewitched[/italic] copied the chocolate factory scene practically beat for beat in one of the Uncle Arthur episodes.

by Anonymousreply 72May 12, 2019 3:45 PM

R70, I remember the episode. I believe Lucy got trapped in a mail bag and got shipped across country. When they opened the bag, she popped out. You'll note the expression is the same one she used in the ILL episode when she returned after going crosstown on the lawnmower.

by Anonymousreply 73May 12, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote]She was repeating her own stuff, this time in color, before those shows premiered.

Many episodes of "I Love Lucy" were re-purposed from "My Favorite Husband" radio scripts.

by Anonymousreply 74May 12, 2019 4:48 PM

R64: Lucy always played pretty much the same character--comedy or drama. Look at Stage Door and you can see Lucy Ricardo, Lucy Carmichael, etc. She needed structure and predictability, esp. as she got older. Her writers were capable of coming up with less dated, cliched stuff when they wrote for other shows.

Gordon was excreable on Dennis the Menace--he just got angry a lot--much like the Lucy Show. I suspect part of it was the writing, butI never saw him playing a different sort of character.

by Anonymousreply 75May 12, 2019 5:13 PM

[quote]Her writers were capable of coming up with less dated, cliched stuff when they wrote for other shows.

Would it be blasphemous to admit [italic]Alice[/italic] aged better than many of the later Lucy shows?

by Anonymousreply 76May 12, 2019 5:16 PM

R76 Actually, the last couple of seasons of "Here's Lucy" improved in a sense in that they allowed "Lucy" to act more her age (no more "young lady") and Gordon allowed more to be a friend/peer, not always yelling at Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 77May 13, 2019 1:11 PM

It's funny because people said "I Married Joan" was just a writers thinking of something funny for Joan to do, physically of course, then coming up with a weak excuse for Joan to do it. And that is pretty much what it was.

But that is what the Lucy Show became after it moved to Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 78May 13, 2019 2:02 PM

[quote][R76] Actually, the last couple of seasons of "Here's Lucy" improved in a sense in that they allowed "Lucy" to act more her age (no more "young lady") and Gordon allowed more to be a friend/peer, not always yelling at Lucy.

And Lucie Arnaz left the show with the backdoor pilot for an unsold spin-off essentially being her farewell to the show. And when she finally did get a sitcom on CBS in 1985, it was no more successful than [italic]Life With Lucy[/italic] would be or her brother's [italic]Automan[/italic] was. But both of those were on ABC.

by Anonymousreply 79May 13, 2019 2:06 PM

You can rag on Lucy all you want, but hopefully someone someday will find her screentest for Network, she read for the Beatrice Straight role and was electrifying, blew Chayefsky away. I think that the role was then paired down in pre-production and Lucy just couldn't accept such a small part. She probably would've won the Oscar. Lucy was also offered Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate and Angie Dickinson's role in Dressed to Kill, had she taken any three of these parts (and really she should have taken them all) the whole complexion of third act of her career would have changed not to mention her legacy.

by Anonymousreply 80May 13, 2019 2:09 PM

Kearns on Dennis the Menace , was a closeted Queen . He had a massive pipe organ built in his house. He regularly used enemas as a diet or cleansing agent , and it eventually killed him . He was a bossy bottom , which should be a warning to most DL 'ers.

by Anonymousreply 81May 13, 2019 2:32 PM

He was a master of the goggle-eyed double take!

by Anonymousreply 82May 13, 2019 2:54 PM

He was ok. The look in OP's photo reminds me of a time when adults wore suits.

by Anonymousreply 83May 13, 2019 3:09 PM

As a child when I watched the credits, I was fascinated by his name.

by Anonymousreply 84May 13, 2019 3:10 PM

The original Dennis the Menace was extremely well cast except for Jay North. And yes the father was adorable.

by Anonymousreply 85May 13, 2019 4:19 PM

Gloria Henry, who played the mother, is still alive at 96.

by Anonymousreply 86May 13, 2019 4:20 PM

OP = Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 87November 9, 2020 6:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!