Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shirley Q Liquor

I know, she's old news. But I wonder how she'd be received if she came out onto the club scene today.

Is she just joking in bad taste? Or racist?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 29, 2020 8:29 PM

Personally, I love her. People are so obsessed with appearing " Woke " that they have lost their minds.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2019 5:34 PM

Well of course some club in Portland would cancel her appearance. You can sneeze on a sidewalk in that fucked up city and someone will start screaming you're either racist or fascist and demand to be taken to a safe space.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2019 5:35 PM

Of course she's joking.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2019 5:36 PM

That bitch has got to let it go. I know its his most popular character, but he should indeed ask himself, "Why is that?" and maybe give it a think.

He has another character who is basically my patron saint or my spirit animal or whatever: Betty Butterfield. I did not grow up in the south -- I was from a tiny town in the prairies in Canada -- but I grew up with women like this around me. And as over-the-top as Betty can be, I have a lot of empathy and love for her. Incredible character.

Now stop doing fucking blackface, Chuck Knipp. It's racist. Full stop. So, stop!! Please.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2019 5:40 PM

Betty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2019 5:41 PM

Betty Butterfield is a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2019 5:47 PM

I think he actually retired Shirley a while back. I agree that Betty is brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2019 5:57 PM

Love Shirley Q. Liquor. Even her oldest stuff still has me dying.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2019 5:59 PM

You know her performance comes from a place of love, not hate. I don't find it offensive at all.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2019 6:02 PM

I worked with a woman who is the living embodiment of Shirley Q Liquor. I am in a different office now but see her every day still. I once recorded her in the office and you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2019 6:03 PM

R6- Calm down. She's not a national treasure. DIVINE was perhaps a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2019 7:03 PM

R11 Smooches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2019 7:13 PM

HOW YOU DURRIN, LIPS? Tell y'mama'n'em I axed 'em how she durrin?

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2019 7:22 PM

Love Shirley Q. Liquor. Blacks need to get over it. And all them bleeding heart honkies too.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2019 8:03 PM

R14 Thank you, David Duke.

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2019 9:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2019 9:13 PM

Who's that skinny little qween at R16?

Girl, get your own shit.

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2019 9:14 PM

Didn't she do the Michael Berry show? He's the right-winger who was discovered at a gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2019 9:27 PM

RuPaul has Shirley Q on his album.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2019 9:28 PM

Yes, RuPaul's a fan and has defended her, he says Shirley's a tribute to southern black women and it's not racist. I think maybe the act is racist, although I don't think the drag queen that does her is really racist.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2019 9:31 PM

The offensive is that it's a blackface comedy act geared towards a predominately white audience. So it comes across as "hey, let's laugh at the blacks!" That doesn't sit well with many blacks (nor many whites, either).

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2019 9:37 PM

His Facebook page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2019 9:40 PM

Divine, a national treasure? Bitch please, she was a dog shit eater.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2019 10:28 PM

Somehow Chuck Knipp has dual American/Canadian citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2019 10:30 PM

Homosexicals!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2019 10:31 PM

Church slave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2019 10:34 PM

I'm really surprised that RuPaul defended Shirley Q. Liquor.

Yes, the material can be funny, but it is an old white man in blackface making fun of black people. How can people not see that that is not OK?

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2019 10:42 PM

[quote] he tried to shake the bar's image as hostile to women

It's a fucking gay bar

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2019 10:45 PM

He does not "make fun of black people" as SQL. He does a caricature of the funniest things about some black women. No one was bitching and complaining when Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence did the same thing multiple times. Where was the outrage when Eddie Murphy did the caricature of an old Jewish man in "Coming To America"? The Jews didn't seem to have any problem with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2019 12:04 AM

The Shirley character is just not as funny as the Betty character.

by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2019 12:17 AM

White people on TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2019 12:19 AM

It’s like performing in drag, pretending to be something you’re not, in order to entertain.

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2019 12:21 AM

Shame you don't know any black people, R1. I wonder why that is.

by Anonymousreply 33May 4, 2019 12:23 AM

He has another hilarious character. Marge from Fargo, ND.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2019 12:27 AM

Marge's family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2019 12:28 AM

Marge takes her driver license test.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2019 12:29 AM

Betty visits the Buddhist Temple. Wait for the ending.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2019 12:35 AM

I love Betty Butterfield! You don't even have to be Southern - I've lived in the Northeast my whole life and there are lots of Betty Butterfields in this region too.

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2019 12:41 AM

"So I went to a Catholic Church, and it was okay. Afterwards I talked with the priest and he was a very nice man. I asked him, how long have y'all been around? And the priest says to me 'we've been around since the time of Christ.' I said really? You mean y'all've been around longer than the First Baptist downtown?"

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2019 12:47 AM

How is Shirley Q. Liquor any different from the white guys who played Amos, Andy, and Beulah on the radio?

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2019 12:48 AM

SQL gets conjured up and it's a miracle. All I see is love for a deeply good woman.

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2019 12:49 AM

I really would like to locate the skit where Shirley visits an Episcopal Church. I heard it once, and then when I went back to listen again I couldn't find it anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2019 12:55 AM

I've never seen one with SQL visiting an Episcopal Church. But there is one with Betty Butterfield.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2019 1:02 AM

The Gay Church and the JWs. A national Treasure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2019 1:32 AM

Fat

As

A

House

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2019 1:46 AM

SQL was what like 20 years ago and BB is all over a decade. Has Chuck done anything more recent that's online?

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2019 1:59 AM

God !!! I love her.

by Anonymousreply 47May 4, 2019 5:41 AM

SQL outrages those who aren't happy unless they have something or someone to be outraged over.

by Anonymousreply 48May 4, 2019 11:35 AM

I really didn't know (until posting this) that SQL had been off the radar for that long. Or that she was ever well known enough to be in Rolling Stone!

by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2019 2:29 PM

Did Chuck Knipp retire Shirley Q. Liquor because of all the controversy or did he just decide he was done with that character?

by Anonymousreply 50May 4, 2019 4:13 PM

Chuck Knipp is crazy as Betty Butterfield.

by Anonymousreply 51May 4, 2019 4:22 PM

[quote]How is Shirley Q. Liquor any different from the white guys who played Amos, Andy, and Beulah on the radio?

How is Shirley Q. Liquor any different from slavery?

How is Shirley Q. Liquor any different from Jim Crow?

If something was done in the past, it must be OK now.

by Anonymousreply 52May 4, 2019 4:27 PM

Even I voted it was racist.

by Anonymousreply 53May 4, 2019 4:29 PM

I don't think it's racist. She's a character. One that isn't meant to represent the ideal black woman that we should all aspire to. And there are lots of women who are just like her. Why can't a man play this part? I think Chuck is the furthest thing from insensitive. I think he's spot on, actually. I think he feels Shirley deep in his bones and has to express it. Let him be.

by Anonymousreply 54May 4, 2019 4:39 PM

I will say this the Shirley types I meet are a lot more decent and generous than either old Wasp ladies or old Italian ladies.

by Anonymousreply 55May 4, 2019 4:42 PM

The Shirley Q act is racist, no question about it. And it's offensive to a whole lot of people, for completely understandably reasons. But it's also very very very funny and well-observed.

by Anonymousreply 56May 4, 2019 4:44 PM

Shirley Q is not that funny. For that type of comedy one must see Lisa Lampinelli. She is FUCKIN FUNNY!

by Anonymousreply 57May 4, 2019 5:35 PM

[quote]No one was bitching and complaining when Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence did the same thing multiple times.

Christ, you are stupid.

[quote]Where was the outrage when Eddie Murphy did the caricature of an old Jewish man in "Coming To America"? The Jews didn't seem to have any problem with it.

Plenty of critics had a problem with it. Variety, NYT and UPI all mentioned the racism and antisemitism in 1988 (i.e. not modern critics, but contemporaneous ones). Animosity between the Jewish and black communities goes back decades and he was playing off of that.

by Anonymousreply 58May 4, 2019 5:41 PM

Yes R50, he retired the character years back because so many people were losing their bowels over it.

by Anonymousreply 59May 4, 2019 5:42 PM

Betty Butterfield, Exorcist on Call

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 4, 2019 8:09 PM

I'd be willing to bet that the people who all think that too much of a fuss was made about SQL, that she's not racist, and that everyone should just relax and get over it....

.....are the ones that show up in any thread mentioning the word queer with, "OMG! That's such a hateful slur!"

by Anonymousreply 61May 4, 2019 8:17 PM

If it's not racist, it must just be a coincidence that it's so popular with racists.

by Anonymousreply 62May 4, 2019 8:19 PM

I guess that's why SQL is so popular with black folks too. Hmmmmm.......funny how that works.

And R61 you'd be very wrong with me. I much prefer being called "queer" over "gay". But in a pinch I'll take homo.

by Anonymousreply 63May 4, 2019 8:26 PM

Hurr yer durin?

by Anonymousreply 64April 4, 2020 8:12 PM

His Facebook says he’s a Mormon Republican.

by Anonymousreply 65April 4, 2020 8:13 PM

I think there's a difference between gently ribbing a culture versus outright attacking it mean spiritedly. My nephew grew up around black people and he acts and speaks like one so many people think he's being racist when, in fact, he just adapted to a different culture. I really don't find SQL that mean spirited.

by Anonymousreply 66April 4, 2020 8:29 PM

Cancelled!!!

by Anonymousreply 67June 29, 2020 8:15 PM

Why can’ she be racist, in bad taste AND funny as hell?

by Anonymousreply 68June 29, 2020 8:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!