Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why does James Marsden keep making these horrible movies?

To think he thought he was too good for Magic Mike, but clearly not too good for Sonic the Hedgehog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 19, 2020 5:24 AM

Did he not learn anything after making Hop?

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2019 7:00 PM

He's pretty but not serious. Perhaps he likes making silly movies.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2019 7:03 PM

His friend is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2019 7:04 PM

He got offered one of the lead roles in a $90 million studio film, and he took it, as most actors of his status would.

It's not like he's an A-lister who's at the top of every casting list.

by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2019 8:49 PM

beautiful body, beautiful face

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2019 12:33 AM

R2 one of my favorite things about Marsden is that for every prestige or serious project he’s in, he (or his agent) book two or three more that are goofy or lowbrow light entertainment. He’s nimble at playing in comedy and never a chore or an embarrassment to watch. He clearly has a great time making silly movies and probably gets paid more to do them.

His comedy is underrated, almost. In SEX DRIVE he gave one of the all-time funniest performances in broad American comedy and no-one noticed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 29, 2019 8:22 PM

Because it is all he is offered.

by Anonymousreply 7December 29, 2019 8:27 PM

His trainer friend has a great nose! And body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 29, 2019 8:29 PM

His face seems so different everytime I see him in something: one time he's handsome in a sort of routine handsome way, the next his face looks half-chipmunk, like the work of a seaside promenade caricature artist or an art student exercise to draw a face using spheres, cones, and cylinders.

by Anonymousreply 9December 29, 2019 8:33 PM

Comedy really is his strong suit. I don't think he'll ever be getting Oscars from playing a deep, dramatic role. I just don't think it's in his wheelhouse. I think he could do it and not embarrass himself, but there's something about him that tells me he doesn't have it in him.

by Anonymousreply 10December 29, 2019 8:49 PM

Why do people think these actors have their pick of the hottest projects?

The most buzzed about scripts are not being offered to James Mardsen.

by Anonymousreply 11December 29, 2019 8:55 PM

I want him in me deeply

by Anonymousreply 12December 29, 2019 8:59 PM

I want him in me deeply

by Anonymousreply 13December 29, 2019 8:59 PM

He’s a charmer in every project. I read that he lives in the San Fernando Valley in a middle class neighborhood with his family and he’s suburban dad.

by Anonymousreply 14December 29, 2019 9:06 PM

[quote]in a middle class neighborhood with his family and he’s suburban dad.

Do his kids actually live with him full time? I would assume they stay with their mom. James and their mom are divorced.

James also accidentally knocked up this brazilian one night stand, so he's got another kid with her.

by Anonymousreply 15December 29, 2019 9:11 PM

accidentally?

by Anonymousreply 16December 29, 2019 9:14 PM

His babymama was involved with another guy, her and James Mardsen had met up in Miami fucked, and when she went back to her boyfriend she found out she was pregnant with Mardsen's baby. So the widely reported gossip went.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 29, 2019 9:19 PM

Marsden is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 18December 29, 2019 9:21 PM

R17 he shot his splooge into a pickup. She got pregnant. What is accidental about that?

by Anonymousreply 19December 29, 2019 9:22 PM

[quote]What is accidental about that?

She told me she was on the pill!

by Anonymousreply 20December 29, 2019 9:29 PM

Something impish about his face. Never thought James Marzdipan was good looking.

by Anonymousreply 21December 29, 2019 9:30 PM

That's a set up and not accidental.

by Anonymousreply 22December 29, 2019 9:34 PM

It makes me sick and angry when guys that hot aren't gay.

by Anonymousreply 23December 29, 2019 10:11 PM

He’s unusual for his cast-type in that he’s played gay or gay-leaning characters on film more than a few times and without any to-do. Guys of his generation who are that generically attractive, mainstream and All-American don’t typically embrace these roles without downplaying them or pandering/baiting, but James admirably does neither.

Off the top of my head he played gay/bi in THE 24th DAY (Out), HEIGHTS (closeted), SEX DRIVE (closeted), & THE D-TRAIN (downlow). Arguably his character in DISTURBING BEHAVIOUR was curious but nothing came of that sadly, and there are those who think that his X-Men character Scott Summers is gayer than a springtime meadow but YMMV.

Of course I realise his filmography is long and he needs/wants the work, so we shouldn’t be too flattered. Still, it’s nice.

by Anonymousreply 24December 29, 2019 10:25 PM

It always amuses me that his early tv roles billed him as ‘Jimmy Marsden’, and that he was the original Griffin in Party Of Five (for one episode in the first season). What could have been if he’d stayed with that show..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 29, 2019 10:30 PM

There's something about a dark-haired white guy that really makes me hard. Maybe it's the contrast between hair color and skin color.

by Anonymousreply 26December 29, 2019 10:39 PM

[quote] Off the top of my head he played gay/bi in THE 24th DAY (Out), HEIGHTS (closeted), SEX DRIVE (closeted), & THE D-TRAIN (downlow).

Suck it, Kurt Cameron!

by Anonymousreply 27December 29, 2019 10:39 PM

R11 Exactly. Film scripts probably have to be rejected by a few people before they get to him.

He’s also been primarily a supporting actor, so of course he would jump at being the (human) lead in a studio film. The only hit film he’s ever led was Hop, which is probably what got him on the casting list for Sonic.

by Anonymousreply 28December 29, 2019 10:42 PM

[quote] Suck it, Kurt Cameron!

Who is Kurt Cameron? Is that the name of the giant pustulous boil on Kirk's left behind cheek?

by Anonymousreply 29December 29, 2019 10:45 PM

He sort of looks like Hugh Grant in R17’s pic. Apparently he has the same studly habits too..

by Anonymousreply 30December 29, 2019 10:46 PM

There's always been something playful about him that keeps him from being a boring, mainstream superstar. They never want the fun guys for leading men. They want the brooding, vacant ones. He's definitely more on the character actor side of things. I think the same of Chris Pine. They're both gorgeous, but not afraid to look silly or ugly themselves up.

by Anonymousreply 31December 29, 2019 11:37 PM

I don’t find Chris Pine “gorgeous”. Marsden is, however.

by Anonymousreply 32December 29, 2019 11:40 PM

Chris Pine has a face that can be gorgeous with the right light and angle and he usually looks better in motion.

by Anonymousreply 33December 29, 2019 11:43 PM

Is Marsden sure his son doesn't really belong to Steven Tyler?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 29, 2019 11:44 PM

He aged out of being Cyclops for Bryan Singer's X-Men series.

He probably didn't show the hole or take the pole either.

by Anonymousreply 35December 30, 2019 12:03 AM

Why didn't he become a bigger star? Quite mystifying.

by Anonymousreply 36December 30, 2019 12:27 AM

He’s not much of an actor. He’s a model that was so pretty that someone said “your face belongs on film/tv”. It’s happened many times.

by Anonymousreply 37December 30, 2019 12:32 AM

He became a bigger star than Linda Day George ever did, R36.

by Anonymousreply 38December 30, 2019 12:32 AM

Versace

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 30, 2019 12:38 AM

it's Versayce

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 30, 2019 12:45 AM

He was effortlessly sexy as Corny Collins in "Hairspray" even though he played it with a goofy quality.

I love him.

by Anonymousreply 41December 30, 2019 12:53 AM

R41 he was the best part of it

by Anonymousreply 42December 30, 2019 12:56 AM

To me, he'll always be Teddy from Westworld . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 30, 2019 1:03 AM

He's got a beautiful face and body, but he's not a serious dramatic actor, although he does have a gift for comedy. His career is pretty much as good as it could have been, although I wish he would be asked to do better comedies.

I'd also like to see him do more musicals. He would be a good Sky Masterson.

by Anonymousreply 44December 30, 2019 1:33 AM

I'm sorry he didn't get to do one of the two princes in "Into the Woods"--he'd be perfect for that (or is his voice too light to do justice to "Agony"?).

by Anonymousreply 45December 30, 2019 1:35 AM

He already sorta played the Prince in Enchanted.

by Anonymousreply 46December 30, 2019 3:35 AM

R44 is right. It’s that “aw, shucks” amateurish-quality he has that makes people respond well to him onscreen, and makes him perfectly suited to comedy. He’s like a man out of time that way, from an age such as the ‘50s where it was paramount that ‘actors’ be all-rounder good-looking charismatic entertainers of middling talent over brooding superstar thespians.

And yes, were his voice trained he’d be the ideal candidate for revivals of dusty upbeat musicals like WONDERFUL TOWN, CRAZY FOR YOU, ANYONE CAN WHISTLE etc. because of how he warmly comes across.

by Anonymousreply 47December 30, 2019 8:59 AM

‘24th Day’ annoyed me because Marsden & Speedman did not kiss once. I get it wasn’t necessary for the plot but hello, fanservice? Wasted opportunity.

I imagine if Marsden were into guys irl he’d like big blond bashful types like Scott, but maybe that’s the movie talking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 30, 2019 11:25 AM

‘24th Day’ annoyed me because Marsden & Speedman did not kiss once. I get it wasn’t necessary for the plot but hello, fanservice? Wasted opportunity.

I imagine if Marsden were into guys irl he’d like big blond bashful types like Scott, but maybe that’s the movie talking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 30, 2019 11:25 AM

This thread is needs more photos...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 30, 2019 11:52 AM

Here's one from his younger days

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 30, 2019 1:54 PM

Remember when he beat Blossom on a “very special episode”?

by Anonymousreply 52December 30, 2019 1:59 PM

R35 I remember hearing gossip about that at the time. The story went that Cyclops/Scott Summers only got one anticlimactic (death) scene in X3 because of a chain of events; Marsden wouldn’t put out for Singer thus angering Herr Direktor enough to get the writers to cut his big scenes out (and then lobby for Marsden’s firing), which was the last Divo straw for the Execs at Fox and the perfect excuse to boot Singer off the project, whose replacement in Brett Ratner was equally creepy but more inept & lazy and thus unwilling to re-render Scott’s character and make him a significant part of the movie.

I never quite believed it fully, though, given that even back in the early-mid aughts Marsden was too old for Singer’s tastes and there was already a gaggle of twink actors around the set for him to choose from. Marsden seems bi to me but I can’t imagine him on the casting couch, there’s something too cornfed about him. I don’t dispute that Bryan’s an asshole and Ratner talentless, however.

by Anonymousreply 53December 30, 2019 2:12 PM

He works out at my gym. So does Luke McFarlane.

by Anonymousreply 54December 30, 2019 2:29 PM

r53 - ummm so Singer waited three movies to try and get in his pants? No. Marsden is pretty fluid and will fuck anyone to get role. Most of the time he doesn't have to he is pretty charming, but if you leaned in to kiss him, he would kiss back. He is het in his public life but won't turn down a hot lay male or female.

by Anonymousreply 55December 30, 2019 2:52 PM

Awful as JFK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 30, 2019 2:57 PM

Wasn’t he and DL fave Shaun Mendes rumored to be an item? I read it here and elsewhere....

by Anonymousreply 57December 30, 2019 2:57 PM

My friend was casual friends with James Marsden at Oklahoma State.

He said James was totally straight, very nice and dumb as box of rocks.

by Anonymousreply 58December 30, 2019 3:21 PM

He isn’t fluid. He is a straight boy. Like 99% of the world. Enough with the made up bullshit stories.

by Anonymousreply 59December 30, 2019 3:27 PM

He’s gotten hotter as he’s aged.

I thought he was pretty good in the recent Netflix show ‘Dead to Me.’ He acquitted himself well acting opposite Applegate and Cardelini, both of whom were superb.

by Anonymousreply 60December 30, 2019 3:34 PM

r59 99% of the world is straight? got it.

by Anonymousreply 61December 30, 2019 3:40 PM

R59 over 90% is.

by Anonymousreply 62December 30, 2019 3:41 PM

r62 why? Because you say so? Most studies show that when given more options that number drops. If the options are just straight or gay then yeah 10%, Give then more options of Straight, Mostly Straight, BI, Fluid, Gay then that Straight number drops. I never said he was gay, I said he was fluid.

by Anonymousreply 63December 30, 2019 3:49 PM

Is he circumcised though? Big fat cut dong?

by Anonymousreply 64December 30, 2019 4:01 PM

R63 how do you know that James Marsden is sexually “fluid”?

Have you got proof or are just fapping with your head up your ass?

by Anonymousreply 65December 30, 2019 4:51 PM

He’s on Colbert and he looks great!! Damn. Better with age, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 66February 14, 2020 4:21 AM

He won’t regret Sonic The Hedgehog, as Sonic already has a following that goes back to early video consoles. The movie is going to be very, very successful. If he has even a small percentage of the profits, he is going to be very wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 67February 14, 2020 5:05 AM

Does he take his shirt off in it, R67?

by Anonymousreply 68February 14, 2020 5:07 AM

Marsden is DILFY as fuck! I didn't even read this thread. I know what I see! I want him inside me, deeply!!!

by Anonymousreply 69February 14, 2020 5:36 AM

[quote]He won’t regret Sonic The Hedgehog, as Sonic already has a following that goes back to early video consoles. The movie is going to be very, very successful. If he has even a small percentage of the profits, he is going to be very wealthy.

Going back and changing the animation for Sonic and the trailer for the movie made a world of difference.

It was the first time Twitter was almost universally happy and excited to see something.

by Anonymousreply 70February 14, 2020 5:52 AM

James looks cockeyed at R50, and he's finally starting to age. You can really see it in that photo.

As for his goofy looking son, you alter James' features just a little bit, and you'd end up with him looking like his son. You can definitely tell that they're related.

It just so happens that James' facial features are arranged much better than his son's features.

by Anonymousreply 71February 14, 2020 6:05 AM

He’s gorgeous. I even loved him in Hairspray.

by Anonymousreply 72February 14, 2020 6:42 AM

"Oh, and Logan? Stay away from my girl."

by Anonymousreply 73February 14, 2020 7:05 AM

That's all he is offered?

by Anonymousreply 74February 14, 2020 7:10 AM

Strike while the iron is hot.

Though maybe he could ride the Dennis Quaid thing and stay fit and age well and keep getting offers for horrible movies for some years.

by Anonymousreply 75February 14, 2020 7:20 AM

Was on "GMA SS&K" and said his first job was the pilot of "The Nanny".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 14, 2020 7:33 AM

I especially loved him in Hairspray, R72.

One thing that surprised me about him is that he did a movie with a nearly all-black cast, "Death At a Funeral." And he was really good in it.

Interestingly, he did a second movie recently, again with a nearly all-black cast. (I couldn't find it in his filmography, though)

I like when actors take roles that go outside of what's supposed to be "normal" for them.

by Anonymousreply 77February 14, 2020 9:23 AM

Update on his latest project:

[quote]Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog got off to a solid start on Thursday night, scoring $3M from shows that began at 5PM at 3,150 locations. That number is the same as what Dreamworks Animation’s How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World made last year with a $3M Thursday off 6pm showtimes before going to a $55M opening weekend. Other titles that Sonic is being compared to include Lego Batman ($2.2M 5pm previews, $53M opening), Lego Movie 2 ($1.5M 4pm previews, $34.1M opening), and MGM/UAR’s animated movie Addams Family ($1.25M 4pm previews, $30.3M opening)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 14, 2020 2:51 PM

[quote]One thing that surprised me about him is that he did a movie with a nearly all-black cast, "Death At a Funeral." And he was really good in it.

And he was naked on the off the whole time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 14, 2020 3:11 PM

More naked on the roof

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 14, 2020 3:39 PM

Agree with the poster above: gorgeous, friendly and probably dumb as a box of rocks. Modeled, lucked out (because he IS gorgeous) and got into tv/film. Apparently has an excellent agent who keeps him employed. Harmless.

by Anonymousreply 81February 14, 2020 3:44 PM

[quote]To think he thought he was too good for Magic Mike, but clearly not too good for Sonic the Hedgehog.

It seems more like he's desperate for a cash cow franchise and someone mistakenly believed that Sonic, like several prior bad ideas, would be that cash cow.

by Anonymousreply 82February 14, 2020 3:50 PM

Most likely he wants to make movies he can actually take his kids to.

by Anonymousreply 83February 14, 2020 3:54 PM

He’s very hot

by Anonymousreply 84February 14, 2020 3:54 PM

He makes bad movies because child support.

by Anonymousreply 85February 14, 2020 11:07 PM

The movie has been well reviewed, the audience loves it and it's making money. What's "horrible" about that?

by Anonymousreply 86February 14, 2020 11:25 PM

Sometimes bad roles happen to good people.

by Anonymousreply 87February 14, 2020 11:48 PM

He doesn’t seem desperate to take his shirt off on-camera like Wahlberg and Rock and the Magic Mike guy.

That makes him more appealing.

by Anonymousreply 88February 15, 2020 12:35 AM

For R72 & R77 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 15, 2020 1:17 AM

Dear lord R89, I could never be that coordinated. Ever.

I'm horrible at dancing.

I give James and Zac a TON of credit for their dancing and singing abilities.

by Anonymousreply 90February 15, 2020 4:41 AM

I think that James Marsden's Taco Bell commercials were his best work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 15, 2020 4:43 AM

Oklahoma has given us Brad Pitt, James Marsden and Jax from Sean Cody. Something in the water.

by Anonymousreply 92February 15, 2020 4:45 AM

Brad Pitt's from Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 93February 15, 2020 4:49 AM

William Bradley Pitt was born in Shawnee, Oklahoma, to William Alvin Pitt, the proprietor of a trucking company, and Jane Etta (née Hillhouse), a school counselor.

by Anonymousreply 94February 15, 2020 5:38 AM

You think he's made some bad movies, his brother Jason replaced Butch Patrick on [italic]The Munsters Today[/italic] in the late 1980s. A cash grab if ever there was one.

by Anonymousreply 95February 15, 2020 6:06 AM

The movie is a monster hit, so all of you who bashed Marsden for making it can just go fuck yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 96February 17, 2020 7:24 AM

Ha! Box office smash

by Anonymousreply 97February 17, 2020 2:58 PM

Our James has come through

by Anonymousreply 98February 17, 2020 5:54 PM

R47 I've sung a lot of opera, and I was very impressed by Marsden's voice in "Hairspray". I thought he sounded terrific. He has a voice that Hugh Jackman thinks he hears himself when he's singing. If only. Marsden and Jeremy Northam both have better singing voices.

by Anonymousreply 99February 17, 2020 6:14 PM

Marden has a wonderful tone when he sings. It's a truly lovely voice. Jackman wishes he had a voice like that. His voice is so nasal and wobbly.

by Anonymousreply 100February 17, 2020 6:16 PM

[quote]his brother Jason replaced Butch Patrick on The Munsters Today

They are not brothers.

by Anonymousreply 101February 17, 2020 6:17 PM

Saw him at the Mandarin a couple of years ago in Colombus Circle. Strikingly handsome up close. Almost doesn’t look human.

by Anonymousreply 102February 17, 2020 6:55 PM

James Marsden is essentially a slightly younger (5 years) version of Casper Van Dien.

Is Marsden really that much a better actor that he continues to be cast in roles while Van Dien only gets the occasional guest spot on tv shows?

by Anonymousreply 103February 18, 2020 11:03 PM

James' movies still go to theaters. Casper has been direct to DVD for ages.

James' oops baby is 9 or 10 now. Not shocking he did Sonic. A good paycheck and something his kid could see. Keri Russell said she did Star Wars to "impress my middle school age son".

I haven't seen James at the gym in months. But he did bring his ex-wife to work out with him once. I guess they're still friends.

A fair number of celebs come to my (not fancy at all) gym, but only one has ever been paparazzi'd: a former Pretty Little Liar.

by Anonymousreply 104February 18, 2020 11:53 PM

Does anyone have stories of James having the homosex in the gym, or elsewhere?

He has always set off my gaydar.

by Anonymousreply 105February 19, 2020 12:11 AM

[quote]Is Marsden really that much a better actor that he continues to be cast in roles while Van Dien only gets the occasional guest spot on tv shows?

Marsden is more of an "every man." Very attractive but not too attractive. He can be non-threatening or threatening. He can be goofy. He can be sweet. Good enough acting. You could pretty much fit him in anywhere. Someone once said you could watch an entire movie and not know James Marsden was in it which is one of the reasons he has been working so long.

He can play Liz Lemon's boyfriend "Criss Chros" on 30 Rock, Zoe Saldana's husband in the black remake of "Death at a Funeral" or a psycho husband in a comedy like "Dead to Me." He doesn't take up too much space and does his job well.

Casper always seemed to have much more of a presence. That man has chiseled features. He is a lead. That doesn't always equal longevity if you don't get the breaks you need.

[quote]The movie is a monster hit, so all of you who bashed Marsden for making it can just go fuck yourselves.

The most successful video game movie in HISTORY.

(And I also hate to say it but they can thank the Twitter outcries about the issues with the original animations and the fact that they listened & spent money to fix it for that.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 19, 2020 5:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!