Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stung by Trump’s Trade Wars, Wisconsin’s Milk Farmers Face Extinction

Over the past two years, nearly 1,200 of the state’s dairy farms have stopped milking cows and so far this year, another 212 have disappeared, with many shifting production to beef or vegetables. The total number of herds in Wisconsin is now below 8,000 — about half as many as 15 years ago. In 2018, 49 Wisconsin farms filed for bankruptcy — the highest of any state in the country, according to the American Farm Bureau Federation.

The fate of Wisconsin’s farmers is a high-stakes political predicament for Mr. Trump, who narrowly won the pivotal swing state in 2016 and hopes to keep it red in 2020. On Saturday, Mr. Trump will travel to Green Bay, Wis., for a campaign rally where he is expected to trumpet his trade policies, like the revised North American Free Trade Agreement, which is supposed to bolster American dairy exports to Canada.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2019 10:54 PM

Womp womp

by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2019 6:49 PM

Are farmers sticking by Dump, despite the tariffs debacle and Dump denying climate change and its impact on all farming, including of course American farmers???

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2019 6:51 PM

All across America, deplorables are suffering real loss at the hands of their evil president.

The democrats have some real opportunities here if they’re paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2019 6:52 PM

They got what they voted for. No sympathy and no welfare bailouts.

by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2019 6:53 PM

KENDALL, Wis. — For decades, Denise and Tom Murray rose before 5 a.m. and shuffled through mud and snow to milk cows on the farm that has been in their family since 1939. This month, after years of falling milk prices and mounting debt, the Murrays sold their last milk cow, taking pictures while holding back tears as the final one was loaded onto a truck and taken away.

“It’s awful hard to see them go out the last time,” said Ms. Murray, 53. “It’s scary because you don’t know what your next paycheck is going to be.”

Wisconsin is known as “America’s Dairyland,” but the milk makers who gave the state its moniker are vanishing, falling prey to a variety of impediments, including President Trump and his global trade war.

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2019 6:53 PM

Too bad, so sad

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2019 6:54 PM

The agricultural woes in Wisconsin are a microcosm of the difficulties that farmers across the country have faced as a result of the multifront trade disputes that have lingered for more than a year. In 2018, farm income nationally was $63.1 billion, the second-lowest total in a decade. Commerce Department figures released on Friday suggested that farmers were not anticipating much relief, as purchases of agricultural equipment were tepid.

A report last year from the U.S. Dairy Export Council estimated that over the next several years, retaliatory tariffs by China and Mexico could cut American dairy exports by $2.7 billion and lower dairy farmers’ revenues by $16.6 billion if they were not rolled back.

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2019 6:55 PM

Democrats 2020 Ad:

Abandoned dairy farms throughout the Midwest due to Trump’s burdensome taxation.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2019 6:55 PM

There seems to be a decline in dairy consumption as some consumers turn to other products like soya milk for example.

We've had issues over here in the UK as smaller dairy farms close due to supermarkets paying very little for milk at the farm gate. This has hit smaller farmers, with rising costs.

It seems that superfarms is the direction that the industry is heading in, which will have an impact on the rural environment.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2019 6:55 PM

R3 on the CBC they had a news report about the tariffs and a reporter was in the states talking with farmers and after being asked if they still supported Trump almost all of them said yes. Only one guy said he'd sit out the next election.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2019 6:56 PM

And there is the rub. This benefits Plumps client-states such as China.

His job is to destroy America for his client-states. It’s pretty obvious they have a deal, most likely brokered at Maralago

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2019 6:56 PM

R10. If one out of 10 deplorables stays home then it’s a landslide for Dems.

Take it where you can get it. And stop pushing the “his base will never leave him” fallacy.

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2019 6:58 PM

r10 In their eyes, this is the price for seeing the brown people getting tortured and humiliated, and they're more than willing to pay it. I say let the suckers rot in hell. And send them some opioids instead of the constant bailouts. The problem will take care of itself that way.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2019 7:00 PM

Be careful how you cast your vote. You might just get what you wish for.

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2019 7:00 PM

Worlds smallest violin.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2019 7:01 PM

This is what the Dems should be talking about. Instead they focus on idiotic peripheral issues that no one really cares about.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2019 7:04 PM

[quote] This is what the Dems should be talking about. Instead they focus on idiotic peripheral issues that no one really cares about.

I can't imagine that any candidate would have the same scenario for every state, so I imagine when they visit rural states they do talk about local issues. That said, I agree that Democrats should talk about the economy on TV, rather than just at rallies.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2019 7:09 PM

Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2019 7:11 PM

What a scam I don’t see what they get for this. Rallies and hate don’t pay the bills. The truth is setting in.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2019 7:14 PM

R13, this is not 2015 anymore. They’re peeling off.

This is why Bill Clinton won his election. Many repugs realized that Regan was a scam. It wasn’t until a decade after he left office before he was sainted.

People don’t seem to remember that.

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2019 7:17 PM

Trump’s support in Wisconsin is, overall, weakening.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2019 7:29 PM

People get tired of stunts and deception, even deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2019 7:31 PM

But, cheeto really stuck it to those nasty foreigners by launching the trade wars. He really showed them not to mess with the U.S.A. and who's the boss and in control.

Isn't that what they were cheering for during the election, someone who could show them Chinese that 'Merica won't be pushed around?

The sad and saddest part of this is that they won't learn their lesson.

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2019 7:31 PM

One of my neighbors still stands by trump, the other now claims that she voted for Clinton (a big lie, but I think the fact that she is ashamed to re-admit her trump vote is a step forward).

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2019 7:32 PM

[quote]on the CBC they had a news report about the tariffs and a reporter was in the states talking with farmers and after being asked if they still supported Trump almost all of them said yes.

Well, you know... black/brown people...

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2019 7:35 PM

My sister works at this Volvo factory in SC that will not be selling their car to China now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2019 7:36 PM

So sorry r26. She might want to start looking for another job.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2019 7:40 PM

[quote]It seems that superfarms is the direction that the industry is heading in, which will have an impact on the rural environment.

These are superfarms, dumbshit.

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2019 7:40 PM

Voters for the Face-Eating Party are shocked when their faces get eaten!

News at 11!

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2019 7:41 PM

R24, that lines up more with what I’ve been noticing over the last year or two.

They just aren’t into him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2019 7:42 PM

‘Denise and Tom Murray’ are the new Don and Dee?

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2019 7:45 PM

No sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2019 7:54 PM

Deplorables will be picked dry with nothing left but the bones.

Didn’t they see what happened in Atlantic City? Talk about a fleecing for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2019 8:03 PM

I believe r1 put it best.

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2019 8:09 PM

PlaY sTupiD GaMEs, Win STUpiD pRiZes!

by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2019 8:16 PM

YAAAAAY!

by Anonymousreply 36April 28, 2019 8:16 PM

Between manufacturing, farming and steel all going to to the dogs, surely a few deplorables are realizing the scam.

Not to mention coal.

by Anonymousreply 37April 28, 2019 8:18 PM

You don't understand the mindset of these people. I've lived with them all of my life. Even as the effects of their votes soak in to them, they will still stand by the Republicans because doing anything other than that means having to admit they were stupid enough to be duped and they are too stiff-necked to ever admit they were wrong so they will just keep doing it over and over. It's no different than someone who lost the rent playing slot machines; they don't stop, they double down.

by Anonymousreply 38April 28, 2019 8:24 PM

Democrats need someone who looks blue collar like them (Joe Biden or Bernie Sanders) and send them to the midwest to campaign on these issues. Stay away from social issues like abortion, trans, reparations and focus on wages, tariffs, corruption and outsourcing. I hope democrats get it right this time. I dont think US democracy can survive another 4 years of trump.

by Anonymousreply 39April 28, 2019 8:32 PM

Biden and Sanders do not look blue collar. Neither did Trump. Working class people did not put Trump into office.

by Anonymousreply 40April 28, 2019 9:00 PM

Thoughts and prayers crackers! Have fun trying to stretch those SNAP cards.

by Anonymousreply 41April 28, 2019 10:00 PM

Is there a way of getting to them in your opinion, 38?

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2019 10:07 PM

[quote]This is what the Dems should be talking about.

Are you sure? Democrats are against dairy farming, so it would seem better for them not to be talking about it.

by Anonymousreply 43April 28, 2019 10:13 PM

Whom did they vote for, again?

by Anonymousreply 44April 28, 2019 10:14 PM

R7, They aren't "trade disputes."

What you refer to are unilateral decisions by the Traitor-in-Chief, aka Putin's Puppet.

by Anonymousreply 45April 28, 2019 10:18 PM

R43, You are in my Top 10 of "Most Moronic Comments Ever."

by Anonymousreply 46April 28, 2019 10:19 PM

Everyone in Wisconsin voted for Trump,therefore they deserve to suffer. Not one single farmer voted for Hillary, so all of them should lose their farms and starve. Now, what states are important to the Dems in order to win? Which states, which usually voted blue should be targeted by Dem politicians? Oh, I forgot, they all deserve famine and death, since they're not as enlightened as some DL posters.

by Anonymousreply 47April 28, 2019 10:23 PM

R25, Yes, the Democrats had better hone their message about illegal immigration, because even if not discussed, it will be THE tacit issue.

by Anonymousreply 48April 28, 2019 10:23 PM

R47, Apparently Trump losers remain intransigent, so FT.

by Anonymousreply 49April 28, 2019 10:25 PM

I don't know that it is possible, R42. They are more open to voting for a Democrat for Governor because I think they trust them more to still be focused on the state. When it comes to voting for Senators or President, they just can not imagining for voting for anyone other than a Republican, no matter how horrendous, because it's ingrained in their DNA and they believe that, if the politics in D.C. go towards the Democrats, the entire country will become as liberal as California and go down the drain (in their minds).

As with everywhere else, I think we are still about 15 years away from real change that will happen when 15 years worth of old people die off.

by Anonymousreply 50April 28, 2019 10:27 PM

[quote]Everyone in Wisconsin voted for Trump,therefore they deserve to suffer. Not one single farmer voted for Hillary, so all of them should lose their farms and starve.

To be fair, Hillary refused to travel to Wisconsin, so their is a legitimate reason for it.

by Anonymousreply 51April 28, 2019 10:27 PM

"their" what? Idiocy?

by Anonymousreply 52April 28, 2019 10:31 PM

Trump's current poll numbers in Wisconsin are not so hot. Biden, Sanders and Warren, in particular, score positively against him, but so do other Democratic candidates, even Mayor Pete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 28, 2019 10:49 PM

I don’t think think the deplorables are as enthusiastic this go round. Even if some still support him, the shine is off.

by Anonymousreply 54April 28, 2019 10:51 PM

I'm hoping a lot of them at least are disgusted enough to just stay home. Even though they can't bring themselves to vote for a Democrat, it's at least a partial victory to just have them not vote at all.

by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2019 10:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!