Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who was the better film critic, Siskel or Ebert?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 24, 2019 10:17 PM

One of us won a Pulitzer.

by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2019 4:49 PM

When their show was on, I thought Siskel had better taste in films than Ebert. But as the years went on I began to appreciate Ebert's wide-ranging knowledge and taste in cinema. His list of "The Great Movies" is amazing collection; I think it's 379 films. There are some clunkers scattered through it that don't belong on a list of great films but there are also classics and many little-known or forgotten gems. I appreciate his using his fame to help popularize those.

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2019 5:09 PM

I think Ebert was a better writer.

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2019 5:21 PM

They brought out the best in each other - very passionate. Miss this format. Is there any equivalent on TV or internet anymore? Or their reruns owned by Disney? Iā€™d watch

by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2019 5:21 PM

Since Ebert was an AA-head, I'll go with Siskel.

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2019 5:23 PM

Wow, r5. You have a small mind.

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2019 5:31 PM

I remember agreeing with Siskel more. But, I think as the years went on Ebert gained a wisdom about film, that Siskel never really got the chance to acquire.

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2019 5:33 PM

Sad that they are both gone. Grew up watching them every week. šŸ˜„

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2019 5:34 PM

I tended to like what Ebert liked, so I usually followed his advice on what movies to see. At least for me, Ebert in particular had better taste in comedies. The comedies Siskel liked usually sucked. I remember Siskel thinking Funny Farm with Chevy Chase was some brilliant comedy. It sucked.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2019 5:48 PM

Ebert. But I never really read Siskel.

They got a lot of shit for "dumbing down" film criticism with the thumbs up/down stuff but honestly - I learned a lot about movies from watching their show every week as a kid. For people in the sticks it was a good introduction to non-mainstream figures like Cassavetes. I still remember their fight over Full Metal Jacket years later. Siskel couldn't believe Ebert gave it a thumbs down.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2019 6:16 PM

I used to side with Ebert when I watched the show. And once Gene got sick, he would give the oddest movies good reviews. I remember he listed John Carpenter's Vampires as one of the best of the year and Roger looked at him like he was on drugs. What we didn't know was that the brain tumor that took his life was already too far gone.

Once Gene died, Ebert became a massive whore and would give 4 star reviews to the worst fucking movies. I think he ruined his legacy in the last 15 years of his life. At least Gene had an excuse.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2019 6:59 PM

Siskel gave a bad review to "Chinatown." 'Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2019 7:16 PM

Please, read actual film critics like Jonathan Rosenbaum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2019 7:19 PM

They complemented each other. I did like Ebert better, Siskel was too condescending.

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2019 7:23 PM

They were a good team for TV but neither of them came remotely close to Pauline Kael's insight or eloquence.

On the other hand, the imitators made it clear how strong S&E were, dumb thumbs up schtick aside. Who was that hideous woman from Boston, I think, that did a short stint with Leonard Maltin or some other forgettable bought critic? She got things wrong all the time and I would scream at the TV after she would rant about how unfair it was that Matt Damon had never been nominated for an acting Oscar (seriously, on national TV): "He WAS nominated, you clueless bitch! You don't even need a Research department to know that!" It -- and hopefully she-- didn't last long.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2019 7:27 PM

Ebert was much more biased. He had an especial affinity for black made films and and always gave them a thumbs up even if they were poorly produced.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2019 7:29 PM

This thread was great until r16 showed up.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2019 7:30 PM

But R16 is right. Ebert did do that. The thing is, when he first did it, he was actually spotlighting some very good, unseen gems. But over the years it morphed into a 4-star review for Mr. 3000 starring Bernie Mac and became about more than championing talented black filmmakers.

I will say that S&E did more for me in terms of instilling in me a love of cinema than any one filmmaker did. When I'd watch Sneak Previews on PBS, they really gave me a curiosity and a desire to seek out indie films of the early 1980s even at age 10, and really began my love of those sorts of films.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2019 7:40 PM

Ebert could be an ass. My friend worked at the Toronto Film Festival when Far From Heaven was playing. The cinema was at capacity and Ebert wanted in. He threw a tantrum and played the Reese Witherspoon card. I was a huge fan until I heard about this.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2019 7:45 PM

Siskel was the intellectual.

Ebert would always praise any actress, hoping if he ever met her she'd fuck him. He also used immature phrases like 'cheesoid'. I also felt he would sell-out and rave about a movie if they gave him money (Siskel would never do that).

Still, they played well off each other, and other pairings were never able to recapture the chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2019 7:50 PM

Siskel was a massive Saturday Night Fever fan. He actually bought the white disco suit Travolta wore in the movie at an auction. Ebert said many years later that Siskel had such an affinity for the movie as it made him nostalgic for his younger years. I thought they played off each other really well in the early days.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2019 8:03 PM

Wtf is an AA head?

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2019 12:18 AM

In this case, I think Ebert got it right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2019 2:43 PM

I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2019 7:08 PM

R15 Are you referring to Joyce Kulhawik and HOT TICKET, which ran in the early 2000s?

R16 I noticed that, too. It go to be predictable. I remember he really went all out for MONSTER'S BALL and Halle Berry. More so than usual. He became her biggest cheerleader for the Oscar, like Julia Roberts was Denzel Washington's biggest advocate that same year.

by Anonymousreply 25December 24, 2019 10:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!