Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Game of Thrones S08E03 "Battle of Winterfell"

The battle that took the longest to film in history comes to television tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 2, 2019 11:56 PM

At 82 minutes, this will be the longest episode of Game of Thrones so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2019 4:26 PM

I never got GOT. Tried many times to get into it and it just seemed silly and boring to me.

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2019 4:43 PM

I tried to watch the Walking Dead and thought it was stupid. Life goes on, what's the big deal about not liking something.

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2019 4:46 PM

I don't know if I have ever been this excited for a GoT episode. Really don't know what's going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2019 7:58 PM

The red witch has been MIA for awhile. Since she is front and almost center, I suspect she will have a big part in episode 3.

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2019 8:06 PM

I just want to see Brienne's father saving the day on his glorious horse clad in sapphires from head to toe, flanked by Melisandre throwing fireballs left and right. I'm really not asking for much here.

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2019 8:06 PM

Isn't it crazy to think how there's this great "battle for the dawn" going on in Westeros and all the while life goes on as normal in the Free Cities and beyond? Just like in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2019 8:08 PM

Half the episode will probably be so darkly lit that you won't know what went on until the recaps come up later.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2019 10:11 PM

It's time.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2019 1:01 AM

Okay, let's just stop this foolishness right here and now - we are NOT going to have two separate threads for this historic episode. So which thread is the official one?

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2019 1:03 AM

The other one.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2019 1:04 AM

One word: [bold]A R Y A[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2019 9:46 AM

Holy shit! I think this must've been the same feel for half of the planet:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2019 10:13 AM

Looks like threads were deleted. That's okay I wasn't first but when you have so many threads started that gets ignored it feels good to have a popular one. Oh well.

Judging by the previews looks like Favorite Hero Arya will have sex again. She must be popular with the makers of the show. She liked that annoying Ed Whatshisname so they put him on the show. She wanted a sex scene so she got it. She ... I don't know if I should post spoilers on this thread. .

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2019 10:20 AM

The Night King was focused on the popular vote while Arya smartly kept her eye on the Electoral College

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2019 10:25 AM

It was so darkly lit I could barely make out what was happening most of the episode, but I was on the edge of my seat and felt anxious the entire time! Did not see that coming at the end with Arya at all! It was epic but kind of an abrupt end to the night

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2019 10:29 AM

repost:

ARRRRGGGGH I CAN'T.

dany is a horrible queen. she takes her people (who, due to her stupidity, are without their khal now) to another damn continent and throws them to the lions without proper weapons or anything. even mel-pyromaniac cares more about the poor dothraki and actually bothers to arm them.

jon is the dumbest fuck that has ever walked the planet: oh hai i'm a totally inexperienced dragonrider but imma gonna take this aotd-exterminator into these cold mists where imma gonna get lost and my gf, instead of burning the dead fuckers, will have to search for me half of the episode!!!! derp

fuck jon. fuck dany. because of them winterfell was destroyed and everybody died.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2019 10:32 AM

- House Mormont is dead.

- The Dothraki: dead (and they were so damn hot. Shame.)

- Only one dragon left.

- After Arya's master stroke, Gendry's cock has never been so hard.

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2019 10:33 AM

That episode has to have collected a goody bag of Emmys. The music alone.

Not nearly as much character carnage as I'd thought

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2019 10:39 AM

Yes, you beat me to it, R21. I was just about to post that the score for this episode was absolutely spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2019 10:43 AM

Vladimir Furdik (Slovak) has rcketed onto my drop to knees wish list. What is it with (Euro) stunt coordinators? The horse guy and lead stunt (horse whisperer) coordinator on The Last Kingdom (Polish) is Euro lean hawt for his age too.

#nightkimg Vlad/stunt actor is b.1970 - not fucking bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2019 10:49 AM

Loved the Fay Wray moment with Mormont girl and the giant.

Blue flame dragon made me miss my gas burner cooktop hobs!

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2019 10:56 AM

Pacing of what I'd thought might be nonstop battle sequence shouldered by character interaction top and bottom of episode was instead shifting viewpoint I found effectively dynamoc and a dynamite emotional rollercoaster too.

As Melisandre drops to the ground, is about how wrung out I felt by episode end too.

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2019 11:05 AM

Well R21, it wont be winning any Emmys for cinematography.

All those dark an murky visuals made it almost unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2019 11:07 AM

I'm what you call a movie know it all. I remember once I watched a Grace Jones movie when she becomes a skeleton. Somehow I rightly predicted she was going to give a finger. In other word I'm hardly ever surprised at movies or TV. I was totally caught off guard with Arya and I loved it. I thought maybe NK wouldn't kill Bran invite him to a nice dinner instead. Then he starts reaching for his sword

I was okay with the darkness when some cool person suggested watching it on HBONow. I didn't know they premiered episodes so early. .

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2019 11:11 AM

I watched it on HBONow and I thought the cinematography was stunning.

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2019 11:12 AM

Why did Mel not stick around and revive some dead ? She really would come in handy in the next battle.

Is it me or does Jon seem like a bit of a buffoon lately ? I think the only thing good he has done recently is give Sam advice...

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2019 11:18 AM

Here is a part of the spectacular score: "The Night King" S08E03

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2019 11:19 AM

What was that Tom Hanks movie that he played a mobster? Many scenes were in the dark and it won Best Cinematography Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2019 11:21 AM

I thought the music at the end when the Night King was approaching Bran was horrible and FELT wrong. It was 'miscast.'

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2019 11:23 AM

[quote]Is it me or does Jon seem like a bit of a buffoon lately ? I think the only thing good he has done recently is give Sam advice...

He's never really dazzled us with his intelligence, and far as his military skills, let's just say they win in spite of him.

by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2019 11:54 AM

What’s Game of Thrones?

by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2019 5:30 PM

Why didn't the Dothraki immediately become White Walkers (or wights) immediately after they were killed? Same with the other Westerosi who were killed? In previous episodes, they've showed people returning almost instantly after death. In other cases, the Night King has to touch them first. Is this just sloppy writing?

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2019 9:20 PM

Sloppy writing, R37. Same as the dragons being unable to condensate the air and fog around them to clear up the visibility, imo.

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2019 9:55 PM

Both Rhaegal and Drogon survived last night’s ep, R20. They both appear flying in the preview for next week.

I also had thought that Rhaegal had died after it crashed and dropped Jon Snow off and assumed it had been zombie-fied by the Night King and was the dragon terrorizing Jon inside Winterfell at the end. On second viewing, that zombie dragon at the end was still Viserion (hadn’t initially noticed the blue fire coming from his throat where Drogon had bitten him). I guess they were just too cheap to pay for a shot of Rhaegal alive again (just like Ghost after he accompanied the first Dothraki attack, but evidently is also OK thanks to the Ep4 trailer!).

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2019 10:21 PM

I could barely make out the battle scenes but some people have reported much clearer visuals. Someone linked to Leslie Jones from n SNL on Twitter, she was live tweeting with short videos of the screen and WOW, whatever tv/monitor/cable/streaming site she used, it was 100% better lit.

by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2019 10:36 PM

I'm going to try and watch it again on HBO GO and see if it looks any better. Watching it last night on regular HBO (via DIRECTV) was abysmal. It was nearly impossible to tell who was who and what was happening for much of the show.

by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2019 11:37 PM

I've seen the episode now twice - second time in the evening / the dark with all lights out and absolutely no reflection on the screen - and it really helps a lot. Try it @R41 .

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2019 11:49 PM

I watched it on HBO NOW with a great connection speed and had no trouble seeing what was going on when it really counted. I think some of the "cloudiness" was intentional - because that's what it would have been like for the participants. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Comcast, Charter and CenturyLink were fucking with HBO's connection speeds to throw a dragon glass dagger at AT&T/Direct TV.

by Anonymousreply 43April 30, 2019 12:08 AM

It’s best in 4K streaming

by Anonymousreply 44April 30, 2019 12:09 AM

I watched it with direct tv and it was perfectly clear. Maybe it was your TVs?

by Anonymousreply 45April 30, 2019 12:17 AM

I'm with r32 - the music during the build-up to the Night King and his death was really off - so off, that it temporarily broke the 4th wall for me and stopped the tension because the always outstandingly great GOT music had suddenly become weirdly bad.

by Anonymousreply 46April 30, 2019 12:30 AM

The music was good but reminded me too much of the orchestral REQUIEM FOR A DREAM score that was used for a trailer for THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2019 12:41 AM

I don't watch this series but I'm aware of it's popularity. Why would HBO end such a successful show?

by Anonymousreply 48April 30, 2019 12:48 AM

r48 Because there's nowhere left to go and it was structured this way from the start. Of course, that's exactly why there are spinoffs already in development.

by Anonymousreply 49April 30, 2019 12:53 AM

I liked the music when the NK was walking to Bran. It's very similar to the music that played when Cersei blew up the cept. It felt very GOT to me.

by Anonymousreply 50April 30, 2019 1:12 AM

Is it best watched while wearing sunglasses? I cannot make out jack shit.

by Anonymousreply 51April 30, 2019 1:33 AM

R50 During the NK scene I was reminded of the Westworld soundtrack which I totally love - and yes, no wonder, I know it's because both scores are written by Ramin D.

by Anonymousreply 52April 30, 2019 1:35 AM

This episode taught me that I need 4K TV stat!

by Anonymousreply 53April 30, 2019 1:48 AM

[QUOTE]Why would HBO end such a successful show?

This is the 8th season. What’s it supposed to keep going forever? Eight seasons is an eternity for an hour-long drama.

by Anonymousreply 54April 30, 2019 1:54 AM

Did anyone else wonder why the fucking dragons didn’t light them all up before the Dothraki got to them?

by Anonymousreply 55April 30, 2019 1:58 AM

It would not have as dramatically cinematic.

by Anonymousreply 56April 30, 2019 1:59 AM

I don’t know why Don and Jany didn’t stay back with the dragons until the ditch needed to be lit.

by Anonymousreply 57April 30, 2019 2:13 AM

[quote] This is the 8th season. What’s it supposed to keep going forever? Eight seasons is an eternity for an hour-long drama.

Supernatural is going into their 15th season.

by Anonymousreply 58April 30, 2019 2:14 AM

And LOL at most of the Dothraki and Unsullied being used as cannon fodder. Where’s your White Savior now, bitches?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 30, 2019 2:16 AM

[QUOTE]Supernatural is going into their 15th season.

And 13 of them are garbage. You can’t compare that crap to a high caliber show like Game of Thrones.

by Anonymousreply 60April 30, 2019 2:21 AM

Of the Dothraki first strikers, one GOT commentator made reference to South Park's Operation Human Shield, where black soldiers were strategically placed at the front so that they would suffer the heavy losses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 30, 2019 2:22 AM

R58 GoT is about story and the story ends. Most other shows are about quantity.

by Anonymousreply 62April 30, 2019 2:25 AM

I am a big fan of DVRing things. When it got too dark to snake eye, I moved forward to a well lit scene.

MY version of GoT S8E3 was about 40 minutes long.

I missed NOTHING.

Epic battle? Could not tell it from a New Moon knife fight in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 63April 30, 2019 2:25 AM

r52 speaking of...Did anyone else hear a symphonic version of "you keep me hanging on" in last nights music during the end part of the battle sequence?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 30, 2019 2:26 AM

And as Celine Dion predicted in song, GOT will go on and on and on, in endless spinoffs. It's just that the original producers/writers will not be part of this television fun because they are leaving to make mega-mega-money in motion picture Star War spin-offs instead of TV GOT spinoffs.

by Anonymousreply 65April 30, 2019 2:30 AM

There’s only going to be one spinoff actually.

by Anonymousreply 66April 30, 2019 2:38 AM

I would love to see last nights episode in iMax or on a big screen.

by Anonymousreply 67April 30, 2019 3:08 AM

r67, When I was a teenager, the video arcade I used to cruise had 50 booths and was lit by one 60 watt bulb.

IT WAS BETTER LIT THAN s8e3.

by Anonymousreply 68April 30, 2019 3:25 AM

I watched on 4K streaming and could see everything. The episode did have a darker overall tone but that’s what made it so amazing.

by Anonymousreply 69April 30, 2019 3:39 AM

Did anybody keep track of how many times Brienne of Tarth and Jaime Lannister cried out in agonized despair as they were suddenly rushed and overwhelmed by a hoarde of White Walkers, only to miraculously survive and re-enact the exact same scene in a brand new location?

by Anonymousreply 70April 30, 2019 10:01 AM

"TFW you thought the Mueller Report would be Trump's "dracarys" moment...and nothing happened."

LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 30, 2019 10:51 AM

Well the Dorthraki and the Unsullied were pretty much the whole army.

by Anonymousreply 72April 30, 2019 11:33 AM

A gentle reminder that everyone in Dorne is currently just drinking and fucking and enjoying the brief cold breeze coming their way. The whole of Westeros is going to look a whole lot more browner and gayer in the coming decades as they repopulate the continent. Which is a wonderful thing to imagine.

by Anonymousreply 73April 30, 2019 11:50 AM

[bold]Why is Game of Thrones so dark? We asked the cinematographer[/bold]

[quote]But Fabian Wagner, the cinematographer behind the episode, claims the problem lies not with the production team but with viewers’ own television setups. “A lot of the problem is that a lot of people don’t know how to tune their TVs properly,” he says. “A lot of people also unfortunately watch it on small iPads, which in no way can do justice to a show like that anyway.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 30, 2019 3:52 PM

On a scale of Bran Stark to Arya Stark, how supportive are you in group projects?

by Anonymousreply 75April 30, 2019 4:06 PM

I wanted to smack the commenters on twitter saying arya should have been sitting in brans chair with his face. That ending would not work if people paid the fuck attention. The night king touched bran and knows where he is at all times...

by Anonymousreply 76April 30, 2019 4:15 PM

What the hell was Bran doing for mike an hour when he was all white eyes and seeing through the ravens.

Did they ever have a plan??

by Anonymousreply 77April 30, 2019 4:32 PM

I never gave a shit about GOT but watched this last episode and was blown away. It must be the most expensive, complicated thing ever filmed for TV.

by Anonymousreply 78April 30, 2019 4:51 PM

Yeah, Bran's "I'll be going now" moment was quite hopeful, only to be followed by a whole lot of nothing on his part, which was extremely frustrating.

Since the NK wasn't burned by dragon fire, does that mean he shares a common ancestry with the Targaryens?

So now Arya is the second Stark to be touched by the NK and she'll probably have a mark on her neck. I hope the NK didn't transfer his curse to her...

by Anonymousreply 79April 30, 2019 5:17 PM

The alternative ending to Episode 3 posted by the actor who plays Bran.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 30, 2019 5:33 PM

r79, Bran's mark probably has disappeared. Arya will have no mark.

by Anonymousreply 81April 30, 2019 5:42 PM

Practice, practice, practice! I love these two! 😍😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 30, 2019 5:45 PM

Next stop Maisey Williams: Annie Get Your Gun!

by Anonymousreply 83April 30, 2019 5:47 PM

What was Bran doing? He was watching the action, keeping an eye on Arya, and when the Night King was approaching, he sent Theon to delay him for a minute to give Arya time to get to them.

Now the question is, what does he do next? With the NK gone, does he home in on what Cersei's doing? Or are every day non-magical beings not important.

I'd still like to know if he told this to Tyrion, the night before the battle.

by Anonymousreply 85April 30, 2019 11:08 PM

Slate.com articulates the frustration with Bran in this episode

[quote] He (Bran) did the least he possibly could—I’m sure even Cersei had a more productive episode, and she wasn’t even on-screen. Where did he go when he warged out? Why didn’t he take over a dragon or something? He has such impressive powers, but have we ever seen them implemented for good? What’s so frustrating about Bran is his sort of resigned inevitability about everything. It’s not only that there’s no surprise in his face when his comrades kick the bucket like our poor sweet Theon; there’s also no remorse and no sorrow. The detachment is unnerving.

by Anonymousreply 86April 30, 2019 11:49 PM

R37 R38

The Night King has to resurrect the dead. You saw him literally do this in the episode as John approached him to fight. The Dothraki outside of the castle walls probably came to life then and we didn't see it because they were on the other side of the field, trench and wall.

by Anonymousreply 87May 1, 2019 12:06 AM

[quote]The detachment is unnerving.

Well Bran is supposed to be unnerving, and in the more interesting version of the show from a couple of seasons ago we got to see these shades of gray. Now we get Arya being a kick-ass hero which I admittedly totally cheered for, but I do miss the horror we were supposed to feel about this little girl being turned into a heartless assassin just as far back as last year.

I think we don't really know what Bran was up to yet. I think there's more Bran story to come. I also think we'll get more background on the Night King -- I agree with the above poster who mentioned NK's lineage possibly being intertwined with the Targaryen family; they made too big a deal of the reveal of the NK not getting burned up by fire to not address that, or at least I hope.

At least I'd have trusted the show a couple of years ago not to drop that thread but now that they've been running through things at top speed maybe not. Maybe they're just gonna plow on down to King's Landing and fight Cersei and that'll be it.

by Anonymousreply 88May 1, 2019 12:17 AM

The Night King may be dead, but the Children of the Forest created him, so I assume that if they still exist, they have the power to create another sovereign. Maybe not a King this next time but a Queen instead?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 1, 2019 3:00 PM

Why are you people so invested in keeping this whitewalker shit alive? Their final episode was a friggin movie, a war/horror epic completely devoted to their havoc for an hour and a half. They went out with a bang. And you still can’t let it go? It’s OVER. The end will now come down to regular old human beings killing each other, just like in real life.

by Anonymousreply 90May 1, 2019 3:44 PM

What would be the point of the CotF creating another Night King/Queen?

by Anonymousreply 91May 1, 2019 3:52 PM

Having another Night Sovereign ascending the throne would be a hell of a lot more fulfilling and exciting than watching either of the two remaining Tardgaryens do it.

by Anonymousreply 92May 1, 2019 4:01 PM

I hope Jon--erm, Aegon--and his Aunt Dany settle down, start a family, and found a new castle named Springrose.

by Anonymousreply 93May 1, 2019 10:45 PM

I thought the Night King was a Stark, from a thousand years ago. Also thought the last of the Children of the Forest were wiped out at that fight at the cave when Hodor was killed.

by Anonymousreply 94May 2, 2019 12:04 AM

God help us all if the “Children of the Forest” show up again. There’s three episodes left and we’ve had enough. The battle for the Iron Throne is finally upon us.

by Anonymousreply 95May 2, 2019 12:14 AM

okay the NK was one of the "First Men" but no House is specified. Starks are descended from the First Men as are many northern houses, even Lannisters. Targaryans were not descended from the First Men.

by Anonymousreply 96May 2, 2019 12:25 AM

What about the Child of the Forest that was helping Bran?

by Anonymousreply 97May 2, 2019 4:18 PM

I saw everything perfectly in this ep, but watched in 4K. Used the soundbar too, and the music was outstanding. Not at all disappointed. Expected to lose Theon.

I like that enough eps remain to build to another climax in the final battle for the throne.

by Anonymousreply 98May 2, 2019 4:35 PM

I rewatched the first season two days ago. The very first scene shows a white walker and sets the tone for the pending doom. For this terrible force, that's been mentioned for nearly a decade, to be vaporized with a single stab is rather underwhelming. Now we are left with another human against human battle? It just seems like an odd way to end it all. I hope there is more to the WW story than that.

I have faith in the writers and hope they have another GoT trick up their sleeves. Neither side has an army large enough to make this an epic battle so what's the point? There has to be something more. The music and episode were great!

by Anonymousreply 99May 2, 2019 10:28 PM

Zombie plots are soooo fucking tedious and played out. I prefer the dirty grubby medieval royal soap opera and magic aspects of GoT. Also the ponies, wolves and dragons are good.

by Anonymousreply 100May 2, 2019 10:35 PM

In a twist it will all end with the establishment of a constitutional social democracy featuring a powerless figurehead as monarch - Sansa. The iron bank will be nationalized and the last 3 episodes will be entirely composed of senate, union and trade deliberations in excruciating detail.

by Anonymousreply 101May 2, 2019 10:44 PM

He had a hot ass but he couldn't live forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 2, 2019 10:52 PM

[quote]For this terrible force, that's been mentioned for nearly a decade, to be vaporized with a single stab is rather underwhelming.

Well, the Night King was created with a single stab, so...

by Anonymousreply 103May 2, 2019 11:06 PM

What was that guys name r102. I don't think I ever knew it

by Anonymousreply 104May 2, 2019 11:15 PM

No name. Totally mismatched hair and beard colour and he looked directly into the camera in r102's gif. I'm glad he's gone.

by Anonymousreply 105May 2, 2019 11:18 PM

Qhono R104.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 2, 2019 11:39 PM

Played by Staz Nair. So both the beard and the wig were cheap fakes. Horrible casting. Just cast a brown guy with a beard and long hair next time; they're not that hard to find in either the UK or the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 2, 2019 11:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!