Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wheeler & Woolsey

As a companion to the TCM thread because TCM currently has several Wheeler and Woolsey films available on demand. Who has watched any of the old Wheeler and Woolsey films? I'm watching their pre-code ones and they give off some major homo-erotic vibes. Also, Wheeler was pretty cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2019 8:49 PM

I love Wheeler & Woolsey. Back before TCM, AMC used to show a lot of the Wheeler & Woolsey comedies. That's where I first saw "Kentucky Kernels", "Caught Plastered" and "Silly Billies", and later got some of their other films from a collector on VHS. When the Warner archive released the two sets of their films (minus "Rio Rita" and a few others, released separately), I bought them.

One of their best was on loan to Columbia: "So This is Africa", similar to other comedies at the time, but featuring some terrific double talk sketches & a pre-code sensibility that is hysterical. "Cockeyed Cavaliers" is very good too with a song that was definitely a take-off on "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?", and "Hips Hips Hooray" has a great number that is very risque. "Peach O'Reno" has the memorable set piece of a lawyer's office that with the flip of a switch turns into a speak easy. There's the Apache dance in it too where Wheeler, dressed in drag, tosses Woolsey all of the dance floor. It's obviously a dummy, but very funny!

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2019 2:07 PM

I had never heard of them until the marathon last Saturday. The films shown were a lot of fun. Sad that Woolsey died in 1938 after having been ill for the better part of two years (during which time he continued to work). Wheeler went on forever in movies and TV.

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2019 2:30 PM

"Caught Plastered" (1931) has really cute animated credits set on a cartoon train, much like the old "Felix the Cat" cartoons. The old lady (Lucy Beaumont) is a bit much to take with her fragility and constant crying, but it reminds me of several of the old "Our Gang" shorts made around the same time. In those, the old lady became feisty in the last few minutes and got to clobber the villain.

In talking about Wheeler & Woolsey, you can't forgot Dorothy Lee, a perky young lady who wasn't the best actress, but had a lot of charm. The film version of "Girl Crazy" (1932) has a great production number of "I Got Rhythm" where the cactus get involved in the dancing. Mitzi Green is also very amusing in it, doing imitations of George Arliss and Edna May Oliver.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2019 3:06 PM

They injected a lot of filth into their movies before the Code was enforced in July 1934. But they are tiresome to watch after about 10 minutes.

George Stevens began his feature career directing their antics.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2019 3:25 PM

Wheeler & Woolsey are an admitted acquired taste. NY Times reviews didn't always like their films, and Woolsey was obviously considered a second rate Groucho Marx even though I liked him. "High Flyers" (1937), their last film, was bolstered by the presence of Margaret Dumont, Lupe Velez and a kleptomaniac dog who somehow was able to put human dentures in his mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2019 3:48 PM

Never heard of them.

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2019 3:52 PM

The wackiness that is "So This is Africa".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2019 3:52 PM

I've seen "So This is Africa," "Dipsomaniacs" and, last night, "Dixiana." "Dipsomaniacs" was the loopiest, "Dixiana" the most charming. I too think Wheeler is kind of cute. He's in drag at the end of "Dixiana." Dorothy Lee was credited in "Dixiana" but I didn't see much of her: "Dipsomaniacs" featured her more prominently.

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2019 4:01 PM

R8 Have you seen the two with Betty Grable? ("Hold Em' Jail" & "The Nitwits") Edna May Oliver is in a few of theirs as well ("Half Shot at Sunrise", "Cracked Nuts", "Hold Em' Jail") and is a good foil for Woolsey. Jobyna Howland was his foil in "Hook, Line & Sinker" (which features the vampy Natalie Moorehead) and "Dixiana". Margaret Dumont also pops up in "Kentucky Kernels", which features Lucille LaVerne ("La Vengeance" from "A Tale of Two Cities") in a bigger part. That's best known for featuring Spanky McFarland as the kid who likes to break glass.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2019 4:06 PM

Big Sissy-Marys, the both of them.

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2019 7:20 PM

I find their film hard to sit through. They may have clicked with early ‘30s audiences, but their routines seem endlessly talky and flat to me. Their risqué dialogue isn’t enough to make me enjoy them. Definitely an acquired taste.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2019 8:12 PM

I'd never heard of them, but I did find this clip.

It is of interest mainly because it shows an early use to two-strip color film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2019 8:38 PM

The cute Wheeler & Woolsey/Spanky McFarland musical moment, featuring Noah Beery singing to Lucille LaVerne (with teeth!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2019 8:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!