Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This Is Why Canadian Universities Don't Have College Admissions Scandals

Canada's best colleges don't care who your parents are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2019 1:54 PM

Lies.

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2019 1:52 PM

Lol r1

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2019 1:56 PM

[quote]“Our process is — I believe for many reasons ― not perfect, but it’s very simple,” Deller told HuffPost. “It’s just, you know, grade point average, and that’s kind of it.”

That's so fucking Canadian I am laughing my ass off.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2019 4:17 PM

America is a capitalist empire. Its all about $$$ here.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2019 4:23 PM

In Canada, the admissions criteria are less subjective, he said, and an applicant’s acceptance often comes down to whether their high school grades meet the minimum requirements.

The selection process at Canadian schools is heavily weighted towards high school report cards, leaving less wiggle room for the sort of chicanery being alleged in the U.S., an admissions consultant says.

“The competitive landscape is very different in the United States,” said Robert Astroff, president of Astroff Consultants, which helps students prepare for their post-secondary studies. “There’s much less opportunity to game the system in Canada.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2019 5:12 PM

Why are an overwhelming number of the world's most prestigious colleges & universities located in America and not in Canada?

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2019 6:28 PM

Are grades in Canada standardized, e.g. via nationwide school-leaving exams? Because then I can see that that would be a fair -- if extremely narrow -- criterion.

Otherwise, using grades alone is absurd, even more so than using SAT / ACT scores alone. Barring egregious cheating, at least standardized test scores are, as the name says, standardized and therefore comparable. On the other hand, comparing an A grade at Stuyvesant with an A grade at Podunk Regional High is ludicrous (and that's not even including private prep schools, which run the gamut from Andover to schools that don't even assign grades, or home-schooled kids).

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2019 6:37 PM

R6:

Because Canada is a backwater with about 1/10 the population

As far as I’m concerned, Canada can have all the fake Chinese students

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2019 7:00 PM

R8, this so called backwater country you refer to is No. 1 in Best Quality of Life.

I would pick Canada over the US on any given day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2019 8:33 PM

It’s all for you, R9

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2019 8:37 PM

There are as many Canadians in LA county as in the whole of Canada (save Toronto) because Canada is heaven on earth!

by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2019 8:40 PM

Canada is a shithole, everyone knows that. And now we know they're stupid too.

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2019 8:43 PM

Deluded.

Rich Canadians are part of the American rat race, on top of the Canadian one.

by Anonymousreply 13April 27, 2019 9:24 PM

Wow. You guys make America great again.

by Anonymousreply 14April 27, 2019 10:31 PM

R9, then why is it that no one actually wants to live there?

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2019 2:28 AM

I didn't realize Canada had schools.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2019 2:33 AM

I prefer using just GPA or test scores for admittance, but I don't think the US would ever adopt it.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2019 2:36 AM

Obviously not real schools, R16.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2019 1:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!