Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The College Cheating Scandal's biggest clients were reportedly from China

The college admissions scandal ripping through America’s higher-education system allegedly found its biggest clients in China, The Wall Street Journal reports. Families from China allegedly paid far more than almost all of their domestic counterparts. One Chinese family allegedly paid $6.5 million to William “Rick” Singer, the California-based college counselor who masterminded the scheme, in order for their child to be admitted to a top-tier university. Many of the U.S.-based parents paid a mere $250,000 to $400,000 for Singer’s illegal admissions services. More and more Chinese families are bringing their children to the U.S. to attend high school with the goal of seamlessly applying to American universities. Colleges sometimes scrutinize foreign agents hired to coordinate international applications but apply less scrutiny to U.S.-based college counselors, such as Singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2019 9:08 AM

Nain article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2019 2:50 AM

Say what you will but thanks to our President we were able to bust this up.

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2019 2:56 AM

Are you kidding, R2? Do you know how your President got into Wharton? How Kushner got into Harvard? Hint - it wasn't their grades.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2019 3:01 AM

I thought the Chinese are supposed to be super-smart.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2019 3:05 AM

I’m okay with the super wealthy Chinese being fleeced.

The collateral damage are the universities reputations. There’s always been the rich buying their way into prestigious universities but this scandal seems to be a lot bigger and wider spread.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2019 3:11 AM

Sum Ting Wong

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2019 3:22 AM

LOL, r6.

I had a good friend who went to Parsons back in like 1990 and she complained about her wealthy Korean classmates who were untalented and very stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2019 3:34 AM

So how did Trump get into Penn? His parents weren't that well connected educationally. Just sent a check? Was Wharton respected back then?

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2019 3:39 AM

Tell your friend to try engineering school and med school. The Chinese (foreign students not Chinese-Americans) students band together and cheat all the way through on every assignment and every exam. It’s rampant.

by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2019 3:40 AM

Our local Canadian university brags about all its foreign students. They're charged double the tuition, and they get in with very sketchy English speaking/writing skills. In the masters program I took, they made sure to mix in the foreign students with the English-speaking ones. Guess who ended up doing all the work in the groups (hint: it wasn't the ones who couldn't speak or write English).

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2019 3:49 AM

Do these kids attending high school here have green cards? Is there a non-immigrant visa for this?

by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2019 3:49 AM

I can see why universities would want to admit talented international students, but with the theft of intellectual property a known risk, why do universities take the risk in highly valuable research fields/labs?

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2019 3:53 AM

Cut it out, R2. That investigation dates back to 2010.

Geez, I'm forgetting--who was President in 2010? Mmmm, it's on the tip of my tongue.....

by Anonymousreply 13April 27, 2019 4:12 AM

[quote]Geez, I'm forgetting--who was President in 2010? Mmmm, it's on the tip of my tongue.....

It was that guy from Chicago who I mentored and helped in the senate only to have him backstab me so I had to run against the current buffoon and lose in the most humiliating way possible.

Now Huma and I will have our wine and turn in for the evening.

by Anonymousreply 14April 27, 2019 6:59 AM

R10: look at it this way - the one who does the most work ends up learning the most too.

Hard work will always be rewarded, especially in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2019 9:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!