Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Belushi Book: The Castle on Sunset

These excerpts are a great read.

"There has been a slight disturbance"

In 'The Castle on Sunset' — currently being adapted into an HBO series by John Krasinski and Aaron Sorkin — Hollywood historian Shawn Levy retraces the comedian's final days inside the legendary hotel where pal Robert De Niro stopped by to snort cocaine just hours before his death and the hotel's famed discretion was put to the ultimate test.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2019 11:26 PM

I'd see this!

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2019 3:10 AM

R1 Same here. Can't wait. I thought I knew everything about it, but apparently not. Love how they are going in on the CM. Who owns that now? I looked but did not find.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2019 3:27 AM

After posting and a second read I am now giving this some side eye. That place was always a weird dump, and in no way was Belushi a one off. Maybe the most famous at the time...maybe...otherwise, no.

"The hotel staff was busy improvising a response to an event that none of them had ever faced or prepared for."

No fucking way.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2019 3:32 AM

Boy, it was so sad and shocking that day. Everybody loved John Belushi, and the public had no idea he had spiralled down so low. I remember buying the NY Post (which generally I never read). A few pages in I noticed a second obituary, this one for Eleanor Powell. The smallish headline proclaimed "Death Stops Those Dancing Feet of Eleanor Powell"!! My first thought was, "I bet death stopped more than her feet!"

Funny what you remember thirty-seven years later, huh?

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2019 4:13 AM

John Belushi was CIA.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2019 4:28 AM

There’s a deep creepiness to the CM.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2019 6:51 AM

Why couldn't Krasinski have the decency to disappear after The Office like everyone else did?

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2019 6:57 AM

Before the cause of death came out, the local news showed the clip of him as Liz Taylor choking to death on food! Tasteful!

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2019 4:28 PM

Edie Baskin tells the story that People wanted a still shot of John during a sketch where he was eating a powdered donut.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2019 4:42 PM

John Belushi was one of the most overrated people in history of show business.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2019 5:09 PM

Agreed, R10. His SNL stuff hasn't aged well, and he's one of the lesser lights in Lemmings, in which he radiates a uniquely boomeresque smugness. Whereas the funniest momemts of Chris Farley, who idolized him, have a timeless quality.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2019 10:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2019 11:07 PM

I was not a Belushi fan. Everyone did not love him.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2019 11:11 PM

I hate him too. Mostly because his stardom foisted his brother, Jim on us. If that hadn't happened I would have been merely ambivalent about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2019 11:21 PM

So many lived there, Anthony Perkins, Keanu Reeves, Courtney Love and how many writers? It has been a private place for Hollywood stars for many decades. How many books have been written about the Marmont?

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2019 11:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!