Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Renters are mad. Democrats have noticed.

This will end in tears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2019 1:07 PM

Housing MAY be a right, but in what location and level of luxury are open to question.

I used to know many people who would commute 2 hrs each way to get to work because they wanted their children to live in particular school districts. I would support more affordable housing, but that's not what people really want. They want a deluxe apartment in the sky.

I definitely also support housing that enables people like public school teachers, firemen, police, city workers, and other to live in the cities in which they work. You want people who have a vested interest in their homes doing jobs that care for and protect them.

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2019 3:46 PM

R1, you could not be more wrong. The fact of the matter is that there really isn't that much difference between affordable apartment and a luxury apartment. Basically, rebar is rebar and concrete is concrete. The actual difference is really superficial details and finishing, such as stone sills and top of the line appliances. Most people would be fine with an affordable level apartment as long as there is a place to hang their 86" TV. They really don't care what brand the appliances are and granite and marble mean nothing. Having enough rooms so that , at the very least, the boys and the girls do not have to share bedrooms is far more important.

The lower middle class and the working poor spend far to much on transportation. If one is upper middle class, one can afford to commute 2 hours to live in a good school district. If one is working class, one lives where one can, takes whatever school district there is, and prays to god that gas prices don't go up. Two very different things.

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2019 4:04 PM

I think they pay too much for rent—at least where I live. We have public transit.

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2019 4:12 PM

[quote] I definitely also support housing that enables people like public school teachers, firemen, police, city workers, and other to live in the cities in which they work.

We had that in NYC for 50 years. Two politicians - a republican and a democrat - put together a plan for multiunit housing that was affordable to the working class and middle class. It was named after the politicians and called Mitchell Lama housing. Rents were on a sliding scale based on your W2 and 1040. You could have a studio if you were single, a one bedroom if you were a couple and I you wanted a two or three bedroom you had to show proof of children or of an elderly oerson who lived with you being related to you.

It worked fine. My neighbors were nurses, physical therapists, teachers, profs in CUNY schools, social workers, artists, people who worked in city transport, hospitals, hotels, banks, small shop owners, etc.

Starting under Giuliani through Bloomberg administration we all lost our housing as the building owners -- who'd made plenty of profits through the years and who'd received massive tax breaks for not just Mitchell Lama but also for housing they'd built for market-rate apartments -- were allowed to leave the program and become luxury condos projects. Hundreds of thousands of people lost the homes they'd lived in for 20, 30, 40 50 years. It wasn't rent control. It was building subsidized by the city and state for working people. Building owners received extremely good terms from the city to build highrises, projects, office towers, etc in all 5 boroughs in exchange for bringing one building into the program.

It was all destroyed in the 1990s- mid-2000s by Rudolph Giuliani and Michael Bloomberg. Nothing replaced it.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2019 6:17 PM

[QUOTE] You could have a studio if you were single, a one bedroom if you were a couple and I you wanted a two or three bedroom you had to show proof of children or of an elderly oerson who lived with you being related to you.

Something about that sounds discriminatory to me.

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2019 1:29 PM

Russian Nationals should be prohibited from owning an property valued at over $2 million dollars. If there’s abuse, the solution is simple, prohibit ownership of any real estate. Then expelled them all back to Russia. The US is at war with these people and it’s time that we started acting like it.

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2019 1:41 PM

Russia should be banned from the internet

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2019 1:47 PM

Noticed?

They need to give a shit, just not notice.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2019 1:49 PM

this is good news

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2019 1:51 PM

Orlando is ridiculous right now with rent. Our office assistant makes $39 grand a year; a position and salary in line with her education. The job requires an associates degree; she pays $1260 a month rent for a two bedroom condo she rents. Highway robbery. A one bedroom averages for $1050, so it was smarter to get the two bedroom and get a roommate.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2019 2:27 PM

[quote]The job requires an associates degree; she pays $1260 a month rent for a two bedroom condo she rents. Highway robbery.

More like a steal compared to California.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2019 3:11 PM

We're heading that way, it seems. House prices are nowhere near California, but if a person is rent burdened, they can't save the down payment to move into home ownership. It's the catch twenty two situation. It's also more likely to affect credit rating, as you are paying over what you should for rent, still have to pay for a car, as Orlando is not public transportation friendly and quite spread out; you have to have a relatively new or reliable car...

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2019 3:24 PM

This is what happens when Californians leave and vote for the same type of politicians who created the same types of problems in California.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2019 3:25 PM

Hey folks - rent controls DON’T work, they only create shortages and even more expensive housing for people not covered by a stabilized lease. What controls do offer is the ability for politicians to lock in a protected vote bank over whom they can always hold the issue. Within any given locale, the only thing that reduces market rents is more housing construction.

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2019 3:41 PM

R14 The rent controls are ending in NYC and it hasn't created more affordable housing. It has only led to more overpriced condos owned by Russian and Chinese billionaires that sit empty while tens of thousands of New Yorkers remain homeless and neighborhoods like the Upper East Side turn into ghost towns. There needs to be more control over not just the rent, but the building construction. Private developers will not develop truly affordable housing. Only the state (which doesn't need to concern itself with turning a profit) will.

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2019 12:55 AM

Expelled all Russian nationals. Prohibit their ownership of all real estate. File an arrest warrant for Putin so he can’t leave his shithole country. Then drop Mitch Mcconnell and Oliver North over Minsk.

We’re already at war. Time to defend ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2019 3:07 AM

R15 is describing how ghettos are born.

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2019 12:05 PM

We have apartment lotteries in New York, which offer housing to selected low-to-middle income in otherwise expensive apartment buildings.

[Quote]HDC finances rental properties reserved for households that meet certain income restrictions, commonly referred to as either low-income or middle-income. Each posting specifies how many of each type of apartment is available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2019 12:22 PM

As is the case with so much of the USA, to much of the real estate ownership is controlled by too few people. I managed to live in the West Village, NYC for 30 years because I lived in a privately owned apartment building. Similarly, the West Village remained the West Village for as long as it did because most of it was privately owned. It went to hell in the late 1990s when the private owners started dying off and the big developers/ management companies moved in. Clear across the board we need to break up large companies.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2019 1:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!