Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just How Bad Is Madonna's Acting Ability?

She was pretty charmless in this scene from Who's That Girl. She didn't seem connected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 10, 2019 6:35 PM

I forgot how horrible. I couldn't even get through 30 seconds. I was hoping the cougar would bite her hand off.

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2019 3:54 PM

And that was one of her better moments in that movie, possibly in her whole career.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2019 4:03 PM

I didn't think she was TERRIBLE in this clip, and I thought I recognized a hint of a genuine human emotion flicker across her face toward the end. Or maybe she just had gas. Regardless, it's unquestionably her best work.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2019 4:13 PM

I've always enjoyed her performance in Desperately Seeking Susan.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2019 4:27 PM

She acts like a fool quite well.

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2019 4:29 PM

She was great in Evita because she got to do what she most loves: parade around in costumes and have everyone look at her.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2019 4:29 PM

She worked best in A League of Their Own because it was more of an ensemble movie. It was clearly her best role. She should not be the lead in any movie besides, I guess, Truth or Dare.

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2019 4:39 PM

Interrogation could be enhanced even further by subjecting suspects to "The Next Best Thing" on a loop, at high volume.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2019 4:42 PM

At least Rupert still looks yummy here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2019 5:05 PM

Who’s That Girl is a guilty pleasure of mine. Because Haviland Morris is in it. Fuck Madge.

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2019 5:06 PM

She reeks, and is even a worse director.

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2019 5:08 PM

LOVE Haviland Morris, R10!

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2019 5:14 PM

Her only reasonable performance is the final 10 minutes of Body of Evidence, when it turns out her character is actually a scheming bitch. No acting required.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2019 5:16 PM

Oh dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2019 5:19 PM

One critic of Swept Away summed up her acting ability by saying that you would swear monkeys were flinging their feces at you from the screen.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2019 5:23 PM

I couldn't get past the eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2019 5:28 PM

The scene in R14 explains why Sean beat her.

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2019 5:31 PM

Very bad.

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2019 5:35 PM

R12 me too. In this film and the Gremlins 2 sequel.

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2019 5:53 PM

She was awful in Swept Away when she was acting drunk. Didn't she campaign for an Oscar nod for Evita?

by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2019 6:30 PM

The reason she's so bad is that I've never seen an ounce of humanity in her. She cannot relay basic human feelings.

by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2019 6:41 PM

Was she not in some comedy with Sean Penn? Am I imagining that?

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2019 6:42 PM

I never thought it was so much her acting skills (which are limited, at best) but her truly bad taste in choosing parts that finally did her in. When she stuck to light supporting parts (Desperately Seeking Susan, Bloodhounds of Broadway, A League of Their Own, Dick Tracy) she's fine. Sometimes (like in League) she's better than fine.

She's AOK in Evita because it's an overlong music video...her forte.

The rest of her choices have been horrendous. In that Shanghai Surprise clip, Penn is just as terrible as she is. And no one would say he can't act.

Body of Evidence is my favorite high-camp bad movie. She's hilariously lousy in it. And so is Willem Dafoe. And Anne Archer. And Julianne Moore. No one should have even tried. Archer is even worse than Madonna.

"Did you ever see animals make love Frank? It's wild! It's violent! But they never actually hurt each other." Too funny.

I do think she should try again at some point. A strong director and an age-appropriate part might do the trick. She'll never do it, though.

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2019 6:43 PM

She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B.

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2019 6:48 PM

No strong director would willingly work with her, and she would never accept an age-appropriate part.

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2019 6:48 PM

Madonna acts from the 'third eye', meaning she sees herself in performance and doesn't actually interact with anyone she's in a scene with. She showed promise in Desperately Seeking Susan but that was probably because she was playing herself. She was okay in Evita and had some decent moments in an Abel Ferrara movie I forgot the name of but some of that was obviously improvisation. She should have gotten some coaching from a tough acting teacher early on and she could've had a breakthrough.

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2019 6:49 PM

She chose bad roles.

She should've selected Pretty Woman as a role. I think she could've done a better job than Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2019 6:56 PM

Madonna was in a tough spot. She wasn't pretty enough to be a glamorous/leading lady and she isn't pedestrian enough to play commoner roles.

She also has bad taste selecting scripts. She's excellent when it comes to choosing songs and her musical instincts but somehow that didn't translate to movies

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2019 7:00 PM

R9's clip is the comedy portion. Rupert and Madonna acting "serious" later in the movie is a whole other level of torture.

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2019 7:04 PM

I walked out of Evita. I figured with all the money and proven, popular middle-brow talent, it should have had some kind of charm at least. But no! Soul killing! I was offended and left. Stayed a fan or her pop music and videos, however, for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2019 7:20 PM

Too self-conscious. Speaking voice is terrible.

She was good in Desperately Seeking Susan, though.

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2019 7:20 PM

Madonna...playing herself as usual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2019 8:12 PM

Roll eyes @ R6. Evita. She was so ghastly I walked out of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2019 8:33 PM

Madonna should embrace her horrible acting and do a movie with John Waters.

by Anonymousreply 34April 24, 2019 8:40 PM

She would stink up John Waters. John Waters actors knew precisely what they were doing and many of them were fantastic at it.

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2019 8:42 PM

Since she seems to be living the plot, perhaps she could star in a new version of Sweet Bird of Youth.

by Anonymousreply 36April 24, 2019 9:24 PM

She's really only ready for a bus and truck production of the MILK TRAIN DOESN'T STOP HERE ANYMORE.

by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2019 9:27 PM

Ghastly is the perfect word to describe Madonna in almost anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 24, 2019 10:15 PM

Vadge clearly supports rapist/pedo Biden by her actions. She should have been in jail for raping him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 24, 2019 10:21 PM

She is the only one who is totally convinced that she is considered HAF by men more than half her age.

It's a feat of self-delusion that is almost Trumpian in its breathtaking audacity.

by Anonymousreply 40April 24, 2019 10:25 PM

Her eyebrows were really distracting in Who’s That Girl and the voice doesn’t help. I like to watch it because it’s a so bad it’s almost good kind of movie.

by Anonymousreply 41April 24, 2019 10:28 PM

What is that shit at R32?

by Anonymousreply 42April 24, 2019 10:40 PM

There's something fundamentally empty about her as a person. So she has nothing normal to draw from when it comes to playing a recognizable human being.

by Anonymousreply 43April 24, 2019 10:45 PM

R40 everything is because of Trump...you tired cunt.

by Anonymousreply 44April 24, 2019 10:48 PM

R26 the movie you're referring to is called Dangerous Game. As for seeing an acting coach, her first manager tried to get her to see one, but she stopped going after the first class because it was "too hard." She's never been a great actress because she's never really been committed aside from Evita.

by Anonymousreply 45April 24, 2019 11:12 PM

She stinks up the screen in everything.

by Anonymousreply 46April 24, 2019 11:42 PM

"Evita" could have been a great movie musical, with a different star. No, really! The score is great, the supporting players excellent, the visuals are great... and Madonna is a lifeless presence at the center of it all. She single-handedly sinks the film.

It's not just her weak acting, she just doesn't have whatever it takes to command the screen. The camera doesnt love her, it's indifferent to her.

by Anonymousreply 47April 24, 2019 11:46 PM

If she wasn't Madonna she would have failed screen tests, i'm assuming they just forget those if they get a big star to be in their movie.

by Anonymousreply 48April 24, 2019 11:56 PM

At this point in time she’s way more Baby Jane than Norma Desmond.

by Anonymousreply 49April 25, 2019 12:11 AM

not good, but I think acting convincingly on screen would be very hard.

by Anonymousreply 50April 25, 2019 1:06 AM

Like her a lot in Desperately Seeking Susan

Love her in Evita & Truth or Dare (and her videos)

She's also OK in Spike Lee's Girl 6 and Woody Allen's Shadows & Fog, both of which she appeared in cameos.

She's so-so in Dick Tracy.

And she's terrible in everything else - except Who's That Girl, where she horrifyingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 51April 25, 2019 1:25 AM

Anyone that "loved" Madonna in Evita has taste for shit.

by Anonymousreply 52April 25, 2019 1:27 AM

She has a strange Pee Wee Herman vibe in that clip (from Who’s that Girl). The childlike idiot savant with the lispy voice

by Anonymousreply 53April 25, 2019 1:36 AM

R10, Haviland Morris works as a real estate agent at Halstead. She’s a very nice woman, very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 54April 25, 2019 1:42 AM

Who's the cute suited dork in OP's clip?

by Anonymousreply 55April 25, 2019 1:47 AM

These new artists can’t hold a candle to Barbra Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 56April 25, 2019 2:01 AM

I haven't seen all her movies but I think the worst I've seen was Swept Away. Wait.. it was The Next Best Thing.. wait... maybe it was Body of Evidence.. where she and Julianne Moore just couldn't stop their hissing wet cats from jumping onto the lap of intoxicating sex god Willem Dafoe every chance they got. All he had to do was grin that devastating Dafoe grin and how could their panties stay on?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 25, 2019 2:44 AM

God, she is awful. Not only can you see her acting, but you can see her watching you watching her.

by Anonymousreply 58April 25, 2019 2:54 AM

Dare I say it but I love Who's That Girl? Madonna looks like she's having fun and she has great chemistry with Griffin Dunne. And of course, I agree - Haviland Morris is fabulous. Is there a DL thread on her? If not, there needs to be.

Both r26 and r31 get it. The problem with Madonna is that she has not real respect or understanding of how films work. For someone who can collaborate in a studio, she cannot collaborate on a film set. She just comes in, recites her lines like a robot and leaves. She isn't feeling the scene, feeling her actors; you see her thinking about what her next line is or next direction.

I thought she was great in Dangerous Game because Abel Ferrara actually challenged her. A lot of it was improvised but Madonna delivered. Funny, she badmouths the film but I think she resents the fact that Abel had control over the film and she didn't. She couldn't bring herself to trust him.

Dick Tracy is another example where she is flat onscreen. And Body of Evidence just looked worse in the wake of Basic Instinct. Say what you will about Sharon Stone, but she was completely mesmerizing in that film, and she also brought a sense of humour and sense of fun to the film that made her performance more exciting and memorable.

by Anonymousreply 59April 25, 2019 2:59 AM

I thought she and Griffin Dunne did not get along at all while making Who’s That Girl.

by Anonymousreply 60April 25, 2019 3:16 AM

Madonna can’t be anything except Madonna. She’s just not an actress, she doesn’t have it in her.

by Anonymousreply 61April 25, 2019 3:40 AM

This bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 25, 2019 4:06 AM

She was 'coached" by an actor she was sleeping with while shooting Desperately Seeking Susan R26. She dumped him when filming ended.

by Anonymousreply 63April 25, 2019 4:26 AM

R63 -- another in a long line of examples of Madonna using people. Complete sociopath throughout her life and career. Fuck her. Fuck her in the fake ass.

by Anonymousreply 64April 25, 2019 4:30 AM

R26 as if, you retarded Vadge stan. She has no hidden talent. She has no presence or charisma when it comes to acting. She truly is one of the worst ever.

by Anonymousreply 65April 25, 2019 6:07 AM

Whatever makes her a great stage performer doesn't work on film. Yet she is good in 5 minute music videos?

I actually liked Who's that girl as kid, although I'm sure I wouldn't now. The only thing I would watch again is desperately seeking susan, or truth or dare.

by Anonymousreply 66April 25, 2019 6:14 AM

R66 her acting sucks in her videos as well. She has been good in one or two though.

by Anonymousreply 67April 25, 2019 6:16 AM

One, two, peek-a-boo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68April 25, 2019 6:40 AM

I'm in the camp that thought Evita was almost unbearable. Maybe it's good on stage, but the movie was awful.

Her best acting was probably in Dangerous Game, but of course she bad mouthed it.

Saw Who's That Girl in an empty theater on opening weekend. It's always been a guilty pleasure, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 69April 25, 2019 7:03 AM

R69 I am a fan, but Evita literally put me to sleep. Some of the soundtracks songs were OK.

by Anonymousreply 70April 25, 2019 7:05 AM

[quote] She is the only one who is totally convinced that she is considered HAF by men more than half her age.

Cough.

by Anonymousreply 71April 25, 2019 1:18 PM

More like “neigh” r71. 🐴

by Anonymousreply 72April 25, 2019 4:08 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't think she's very good in Dangerous Game either.

She seems "edgier" because of the unflattering lighting and the ratty hair. But there's nothing going on in her head. It's her usual self-conscious performance. Playing against Harvey Keitel helps this scene a lot. But look at the people playing the film crew. They have more authenticity in their faces than Madonna has at any point in this scene. Everything she does is small town Community Theater at best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 25, 2019 5:19 PM

She apparently drove all of her costars and directors to the point of insanity because she believed her first take was the best, that she really understood acting, and that she was above and beyond the say of the director. Having the world up your asshole when you're trying to break into film (circa 1985) would only make for a monster. In this particular shitfest, after Griffin Dunne completed his first take, she'd say "You got this, you got it" and he wanted to murder her.

She has absolutely zero talent for acting, even though it was her main ambition. She cannot access depth or vulnerability,. Rumours abound that she married Sean Penn and Guy Ritchie, despite being an alleged lesbian, to hopefully make it as a successful actress. If you really look at her music videos, she is quite one-note and blank when called upon to emote. She found her niche in MTV, has made millions of people happy, has had an astonishing career, and should embrace the fact that she is a billionaire. A lonely, depressed, possibly drunk one, but a billionaire nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 74April 25, 2019 5:38 PM

Guy Ritchie was a terrible director. One would've hoped she could latch on to someone better, but her taste is often questionable.

by Anonymousreply 75April 25, 2019 5:45 PM

Her biggest acting mistake was pissing off Kevin Costner when he wanted her to co-star with him in The Bodygard.

by Anonymousreply 76April 25, 2019 5:46 PM

*Bodyguard

Please excuse my spelling.

by Anonymousreply 77April 25, 2019 5:51 PM

Madonna's acting ability reminds me of what Julianne Moore said of her character Amber Waves (in BOOGIE NIGHTS): Amber acts like she's continuously trying to remember the next line in the script as she is saying a line in the script.

by Anonymousreply 78April 25, 2019 6:32 PM

Her line readings in Body of Evidence are so awkward and stiff you know there's got to be soap actresses who are better. Lots of them, actually.

by Anonymousreply 79April 25, 2019 6:40 PM

She should've realized her limitations and never tried to be a big movie star, but just make the occasional movie where she plays a role very similar to herself. That she could do quite well with Desperately Seeking Susan and Truth or Dare, among a few others.

by Anonymousreply 80April 25, 2019 6:47 PM

She could be interesting as an American Idol judge. You just know she'd be a total cunt.

by Anonymousreply 81April 25, 2019 6:50 PM

R74 believes everyone in the world is a lesbian. Choke on a huge black cock, cuntfrau.

by Anonymousreply 82April 25, 2019 6:55 PM

I love Who’s That Girl! Madonna was just bring 1985 Madonna in it, but it’s a funny, mindless 80’s movie.

by Anonymousreply 83April 25, 2019 7:00 PM

R82, please take your meds and mind your manners. It is quite apparent that no dick has come between your gut and a carton of ice cream in decades, so keep your vitriol to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 84April 25, 2019 7:00 PM

Madonna was basically the Meryl Streep of the '80s and '90s. No one could touch her. Not even Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 85April 25, 2019 10:45 PM

Madonna would make a great American Idol judge. She has the resume and her cuntiness would be a thing of beauty. Also, it's the perfect gig to get her back in the spotlight in a major way. She should lobby for it.

by Anonymousreply 86April 25, 2019 10:50 PM

Madonna can play any role. She has the range.

by Anonymousreply 87April 26, 2019 12:06 AM

Madonna acts? I must have missed that.

by Anonymousreply 88April 26, 2019 12:07 AM

Kevin Costner was rude to her backstage after her show. His response of neat was completely condescending.

She did apologize to him years later when he attended another show. But she got a lot of flak for it at the time, which is baffling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 26, 2019 12:27 AM

Because he was honest when he said her pussy stank from the third row?

by Anonymousreply 90April 26, 2019 1:06 AM

Costner was/is a bit of a square but c'mon...Madonna acted like a brat in that film.

by Anonymousreply 91April 26, 2019 1:16 AM

I agree, R91. Costner came across as the uncool dad who brought his kids to the rock concert. Madonna acted like a total snatch to him for calling her show neat.

by Anonymousreply 92April 26, 2019 2:31 AM

That's what Cher meant when she called Madonna a cunt. She doesn't have a gracious bone in her body.

by Anonymousreply 93April 26, 2019 4:31 AM

[quote]Her line readings in Body of Evidence are so awkward and stiff you know there's got to be soap actresses who are better. Lots of them, actually.

There was a soap actress IN THE SAME MOVIE who acted circles around her -- Julianne Moore.

by Anonymousreply 94April 26, 2019 5:40 AM

She really is epically bad in Body of Evidence. It's an awful script to begin with, but she really couldn't even start to sell it.

And you just know how badly she wanted her own Basic Instinct. It must have stung.

by Anonymousreply 95April 26, 2019 6:08 AM

"alleged" lesbian? She's been openly bi, since what, the late 80s ?

by Anonymousreply 96April 26, 2019 6:16 AM

R96 I doubt she loves to eat snatch. She will do anything to be fashionable.

by Anonymousreply 97April 26, 2019 9:12 AM

She’s no...me...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 26, 2019 9:27 AM

Oscar caliber

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 26, 2019 9:32 AM

She was quite good in A League of Their Own. Her acting was fine, she seemed game to do anything physical, and she was a major asset in the dance sequence at the bar.

by Anonymousreply 100April 26, 2019 12:23 PM

Being part of an esemble is different than carrying a movie. Rosie was good in that too.

by Anonymousreply 101April 26, 2019 1:20 PM

She was fine in Evita - seriously.

by Anonymousreply 102April 26, 2019 4:04 PM

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 103April 26, 2019 5:27 PM

I didn't say Oscar-worthy fantastic, I said 'fine.'

by Anonymousreply 104April 26, 2019 6:09 PM

James Foley, the director of Who's That Girl, basically said what is wrong with Madonna's acting: she tries too hard. In DSS, she was just herself, encouraged by the director to float through the piece as the free-spirit she is. She's actually quite charming through the whole movie. Not a great actress, just having fun. When she micro-manages every single detail, move, thought, etc, she becomes stiff, stilted and insincere. Somehow, she is able to experience that spontaneity when she is protected by the structure of music, hence her passable performance in Evita, and her impressive art-performances in concert. For a performer who can get lost in the latest re-invention throughout her music career, she is completely incapable of doing the same in a role on stage or film. The closest she came was the little known film "Dangerous Games" with James Russo and Harvey Keitel. Director Abel Ferrara was able to bring something out in her onscreen that no other film director was. She looked like she totally gave herself over to him, something I don't think she likes to do. In music, she is charge. In movies, she isn't.

by Anonymousreply 105April 26, 2019 6:28 PM

Foley is right. Madonna is the most self-conscious person who ever lived. When she was young, poor, and ambitious, it made her fortune. Now that she's old, rich, and insecure, it's her downfall.

by Anonymousreply 106April 26, 2019 6:58 PM

#45 "...but she stopped going after the first class because it was "too hard." "

If that's the same acting coach I remember reading about, the coach told the manager that she refused to work with Madonna any more because Madonna was 'arrogant, vulgar, and refuses to take direction,' (or words to that effect. I don't recall the verbatim comment.)

by Anonymousreply 107May 16, 2019 8:33 PM

It’s interesting that we’re all forgetting she took Broadway by storm in the 80s in Mamet’s Speed the Plow. She got shockingly respectable reviews that said she was the most interesting person on the stage. Treading the boards is no mean feat and she conquered it to everyone’s surprise.

by Anonymousreply 108May 16, 2019 8:52 PM

R108 - Thanks for the belly laugh.

by Anonymousreply 109May 16, 2019 9:02 PM

The "audition" starts at about 1:08.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 16, 2019 9:05 PM

One of the SPEED THE PLOW quotes was, “No, she can’t act...”

by Anonymousreply 111May 16, 2019 9:33 PM

I can't imagine why the casting agents didn't cast her in FAME after that audition tape!

by Anonymousreply 112May 16, 2019 10:18 PM

^They traded up with Janet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 16, 2019 11:48 PM

She had a great look in that Fame audition, but the acting is soooo self-conscious.

by Anonymousreply 114May 17, 2019 8:16 PM

Love how Madonna lies in that clip r114. She was 21 in 1982 yet born in '58?

Gurl...

by Anonymousreply 115July 7, 2019 6:45 AM

[quote] Madonna acts from the [bold]'brown[/bold] eye',

FIXED

by Anonymousreply 116July 7, 2019 6:53 AM

I don't understand why anyone is a fan of her to be honest. R21 has it right--she cannot relay basic human feelings. There is something cold, distant, and off-putting about her, and there always has been. If you watch interviews with her, she speaks like a robot. Her music is better than her acting, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 117July 7, 2019 6:57 AM

She can project human feelings and empathy in her music. Songs like Crazy for You, Live to Tell, Promise to Try, Cherish, In this Life, Rain, Little Star project warmth and vulnerability.

The Something to Remember collection is one of the best things she released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 7, 2019 7:25 AM

Y’all are just a bunch of hateful Janet stans.

Queen Madonna reigns SUPREME!

SUPREME, I tell you!

by Anonymousreply 119July 7, 2019 8:20 AM

She has no acting ability, it is on par with her singing, atrocious. Madonna is the master of one thing. Marketing, she has marketed her lack of talent to vapid gays for as long as she could. In that way she is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 120July 7, 2019 9:22 AM

Mad looks fantastic in the film, but I can't watch two seconds of who's that girl without bringing. The voice. What was that?

by Anonymousreply 121July 7, 2019 11:59 AM

Bringing = cringing

by Anonymousreply 122July 7, 2019 12:00 PM

Yikes just yikes. Someone told her that voice was a good idea?

by Anonymousreply 123July 7, 2019 12:23 PM

I can't even watch that movie as 'camp', it's too cringe inducing!

by Anonymousreply 124July 7, 2019 12:46 PM

Where's the cougar, matey?

by Anonymousreply 125July 7, 2019 5:07 PM

Who is Madonna channeling in Who's That Girl? Judy Holliday? Whomever she is it is fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 126July 7, 2019 5:23 PM

She was very good in this SNL segment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 7, 2019 5:36 PM

R127 eats turds for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That is why she loves Vadge.

by Anonymousreply 128July 7, 2019 5:40 PM

I'm a fan of her music but the poster who wrote that she sees you watching her is right. I can't stand watching her act; she's so obviously aware of sn audience beyond her costar abd tries way, way too hard. Look about four posts uothread;it even comes across in still photos. The cover image for Something to Remember has always irked me. You can SEE her thinking, "I look vulnerable. People will like this." Her talent begins and ends with music and dance. Acting was never in her wheelhouse.

by Anonymousreply 129July 7, 2019 5:56 PM

[quote] She was very good in this SNL segment.

She can perform a comedic role.

She just can't act. That requires interacting with other people.

by Anonymousreply 130July 7, 2019 7:37 PM

R89 She was rude and childish. She also shoved her finger down her throat and pretended to retch at people as soon as he had his back turned to her. People expected Costner would use his triple Oscar nomination that year to get back at her, but he ignored the whole thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 8, 2019 10:39 AM

Hey Madonna, this Oscar is "neat".

by Anonymousreply 132July 8, 2019 11:11 AM

I had forgotten just how bratty she was in Truth or Dare. She acts like a toddler and a mean-girl. Warren looks so uncomfortable the whole time, waiting for the next awful thing to come out of her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 133July 8, 2019 5:18 PM

“I’m not BEING racy, I’ve BEEN racy!”

by Anonymousreply 134July 8, 2019 5:20 PM

I think "A League of Their Own" best exemplifies her acting ability. For most of the movie, when she is playing basically herself, she's very good. Then there is the scene where she has to show emotion, when she finds out they might shut down the league, and she's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 135July 8, 2019 5:26 PM

I loved Truth or Dare it really captures a moment Madonna was everywhere and covered in the media daily. This was way before any social media obviously. There really wasn't anything like it. And yeah she was bratty but that was one of the reasons I liked her.

by Anonymousreply 136July 8, 2019 7:43 PM

Considering that the nation's gay men were being wiped out by a gay genocide and developing PTSD symptoms from not wanting to catch that awful disease, YES! Madonna was the perfect face of aids and gay ptsd. And her awful dancers and her awful dancing were the cherry on her shit cake of ToD.

by Anonymousreply 137July 8, 2019 9:32 PM

[quote]Dare I say it but I love Who's That Girl? Madonna looks like she's having fun and she has great chemistry with Griffin Dunne. And of course, I agree - Haviland Morris is fabulous. Is there a DL thread on her? If not, there needs to be.

Gotta say I like "Who's That Girl?" too but then I got to go to the World Premiere at the National Theater in Times Square. They closed off TS and she appeared on a stage and then came upstairs to the screening. There was some good laughs, she brought the house down with two...Knock Knock and when Louden is being admitted to the hospital and they ask his last name...Clear. Hanging out with Carrie Fisher was cool too and I told her first book, "Postcards From The Edge" which was being published the next week was going to be a hit and I was right.

I was in NY's first Johnny Rockets a few years later waiting for a take out order when a family was coming toward me to leave and I looked up and Haviland was looking at me with a big smile because she knew I would have to move so she could get out ( it was packed having just opened) . She was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 138July 8, 2019 10:30 PM

Buck died before the movie was released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 8, 2019 10:33 PM

The fact that Haviland Morris never became A-list is a damn shame. She's a fantastic actress and a scene-stealer in EVERY film she's in.

I'm glad to hear she's happy doing real estate but talk about someone who Hollywood slept on.

She and John Glover made the brilliant and underrated Gremlins 2 a terrific sequel.

by Anonymousreply 140July 8, 2019 10:35 PM

Have you ever seen a gay porn where the top was so totally implausible you burst out laughing? That was Madge in “Dick Tracy” and well, fuck, everything except “Desperately Seeking Susan”.

She’s a bad, bad fake top

“I’m here to put in your phone line how about a massage, baby”

by Anonymousreply 141July 8, 2019 10:37 PM

She's far better than given credit. See "Dangerous Game" for one.

by Anonymousreply 142July 8, 2019 10:40 PM

Patti said it best on WWHL: "Madonna is a movie killer. She's dead behind the eyes. She cannot act her way out of a paper bag. She should not be in film or on stage. She's a wonderful performer for what she does, but she's not an actress."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 8, 2019 10:42 PM

I thought she was great in Dangerous Game but she actually had to collaborate and be one of the gang and improvise. She probably hated it that Abel Ferrara didn't kiss her ass.

r135 is right though. She was very funny and charismatic in A League of Their Own but when they gave her that big scene about having to go back to taxi dancing, it was cringey. I remember my sister said how bad she was in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 144July 8, 2019 10:42 PM

Madonna is a hallow person. Even in interviews she beyond phony. Nothing is real about that woman. The fake accent and anal retentiveness screams sociopathy. She has no sense of self.

by Anonymousreply 145July 8, 2019 10:44 PM

Preach Patti! I didn't think she was that bad in Dick Tracy. It was a live action cartoon for christs sake.

by Anonymousreply 146July 8, 2019 10:44 PM

Stop raping me, my nigga!!!

by Anonymousreply 147July 8, 2019 10:47 PM

For someone who has won Tony awards and Emmy nominated, Patti is quite bitter.

by Anonymousreply 148July 9, 2019 3:39 AM

Did anyone here actually see her in Speed the Plow? The thought of her delivering Mamet dialogue is painful.

by Anonymousreply 149July 9, 2019 3:53 AM

Madonna was terrific in David Rabe's "Goose and Tomtom," and I wondered why she could never match that brief burst of accomplishment. Perhaps because it was a private performance amongst friends and colleagues, she was unencumbered by the thought of facing harsh public scrutiny. Since then she had been quite self-conscious in her performances. It is as if there was an unwillingness to shed her façade of steeliness and be soft and vulnerable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 9, 2019 4:19 AM

OP, get psychiatric help for your anti-Madonna obsession.

You're never going to make the hate "happen" or Madonna "ovah."

by Anonymousreply 151July 9, 2019 6:55 AM

Madonna's performances in DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN and EVITA received positive reviews.

Even when she's dead, the Madonna Haters' view is not going to prevail.

I question whether the persistent Madonna attacks are coming from the right-wing, Christian conservative trolls on Datalounge who are always Trump-sucking and gay-bashing.

by Anonymousreply 152July 9, 2019 6:58 AM

No, you stupid cunt. It is not just right wing trolls who hate Vadge. ALL demographics hate that cunt.

by Anonymousreply 153July 9, 2019 5:27 PM

[quote]I do think she should try again at some point. A strong director and an age-appropriate part might do the trick

No. Just No.

by Anonymousreply 154July 9, 2019 5:41 PM

Yes, even Evita was terrible.

The film was no different than anything she had done in music videos and it was still awful.

Ensemble cast or no ensemble cast, Madonna cannot act. She just doesn't "have it". Hell, she can't even pretend to be a nice person for five minutes.

I bought the 'Swept Away' DVD used for like $1.30 and it is regularly featured in my 'Horrible Movie Film Festival'. I believe that 'Swept Away' is considered to be one of the single worst-reviewed movies in history. (Interesting to see that it only took one kid to ruin her body.)

And that one she with Benjamin Bratt and that British guy who thought having Madge the Vadge as a friend was his ticket to Hollywood glory - unbelievably bad!! I got a grim pleasure watching Madge make an utter fool of herself by trying to do "cutesy" comedy.

by Anonymousreply 155July 9, 2019 6:06 PM

Whot mahn?

by Anonymousreply 156July 9, 2019 6:13 PM

Has there ever been a person more bitter than Patti? She probably bleeds vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 157July 9, 2019 6:21 PM

Yeah why is Patti Lupone such a bitch? She seems to have had a nice successful career.

by Anonymousreply 158July 9, 2019 6:25 PM

[quote]Did anyone here actually see her in Speed the Plow? The thought of her delivering Mamet dialogue is painful.

Front row. She knew her lines.

by Anonymousreply 159July 9, 2019 6:26 PM

Desperately Seeking Susan, Who's That Girl, A League of Their Own, Dick Tracey and Evita are the only good films she has done. Everything else was crap.

by Anonymousreply 160July 9, 2019 6:33 PM

R160 She was awful in every single one of those films as well. Truly awful.

by Anonymousreply 161July 9, 2019 6:38 PM

My movies

make the critics

leave the theater

stunned

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 9, 2019 6:50 PM

[quote]r26 She was okay in Evita and had some decent moments in an Abel Ferrara movie I forgot the name of but some of that was obviously improvisation.

DANGEROUS GAME (aka SNAKE EYES) from 1993

She got a good review in [italic]The Village Voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 9, 2019 7:14 PM

R160 She was not good in any of those but you are always a stupid, ignorant cunt wherever you happen to be.

by Anonymousreply 164July 9, 2019 8:06 PM

She was good in [Italic]Evita[/italic] because it’s basically just was one long music video. No dialogue, no realism. All she had to do was look good in the clothes and lip sync to the lyrics. These are of course her only real talents.

[italic]Desperately Seeking Susan[/Italic] and [italic]A League of Their Own[/italic] are the only other movies where she was genuinely entertaining, but in both she plays a supporting role and is bolstered by an otherwise great cast. Both roles are also just different versions of her real persona, so they’re not really an acting stretch for her. Both roles are basically “Madonna.”

by Anonymousreply 165July 9, 2019 8:21 PM

[italic]Who’s That Girl[/italic] and [italic]Dick Tracy[/italic] are not good movies by any objective measure. You may enjoy them, but both are insipid dreck.

by Anonymousreply 166July 9, 2019 8:23 PM

R165 No matter how many times you say it, cunt. You will always be wrong. She was terrible in every movie she was in and especially Evita.

by Anonymousreply 167July 9, 2019 8:23 PM

"Acting ability?" WHAT acting ability? That was the problem. Madonna has NO acting talent whatsoever. I loved the headline that appeared when she made her theater debut in "Speed The Plow." It said simply: "No, She Can't Act."

by Anonymousreply 168July 9, 2019 8:26 PM

R167, take your afternoon pill. This is my first time posting, and I made a pretty clear effort to damn her with faint praise.

My point, which you clearly missed in your knee-jerk spasms, is that she has no acting talent to speak of. She can wear clothes, lip sync, and play exactly one persona, which puts her on the same level of talent as a second-stringer at a divey drag bar on a Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 169July 9, 2019 8:27 PM

And just because Patti Lupone states the obvious and says how horrible Madonna is, you fucking cunts try to attack Patti. Fuck you cunts with ten billion huge cocks. R169 give it up, you retarded cunt. Anyone who thinks Madonna is good at anything has zero credibility.

by Anonymousreply 170July 9, 2019 8:29 PM

It seems everyone famous gives movies a try eventually. Remember Cindy Crawford? No?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 9, 2019 8:36 PM

R171 Yup. I remember. This was the film that ended Billy Baldwin's career. Crawford trying to make Constitutional law sound sexy, Baldwin using a computer keyboard as a weapon. O...M...G.

by Anonymousreply 172July 9, 2019 8:52 PM

[quote]r168 Madonna has NO acting talent whatsoever. I loved the headline that appeared when she made her theater debut in "Speed The Plow." It said simply: "No, She Can't Act."

Perhaps just feeling bored that week, critic Frank "the butcher of broadway" Rich gave M a rave for her performance in the New York Times, calling it [italic]"intelligent, scrupulously disciplined comic acting." [/italic]

This caused an uproar, with Dennis Cunningham of WCBS-TV saying, 'I`m so ticked off . . . I think Frank should apologize for every actor he`s ever given a bad review to,' (of which there were MANY)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 9, 2019 9:13 PM

R145 you describe lady Fugga well.

by Anonymousreply 174July 9, 2019 9:27 PM

R164 is getting confused and ornery and needs to have his depends changed and be put to bed early. Poor senile bitch.

by Anonymousreply 175July 10, 2019 12:16 AM

R164 is getting confused and ornery and needs his depends changed and to be put to bed early. Poor senile old bitch.

by Anonymousreply 176July 10, 2019 12:17 AM

Sorry double post. Site kept refreshing itself every 5 seconds earlier. Shit phone.

by Anonymousreply 177July 10, 2019 12:19 AM

Sorry double post. Site kept refreshing itself every 5 seconds earlier. Shit phone.

by Anonymousreply 178July 10, 2019 12:19 AM

The double post is coming from inside the phone!

by Anonymousreply 179July 10, 2019 12:25 AM

It’s not your phone... it’s the site that’s shit.

by Anonymousreply 180July 10, 2019 12:33 AM

R176 just quit your cunting. We don't like Vadge apologists on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 181July 10, 2019 3:53 PM

R181 You need to get that sand out of your vagina. I'm not a huge fan of hers. I actually think she's a terrible person. But I do like several of her songs and a few of her movies but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 182July 10, 2019 6:04 PM

Stop raping me!!!!

by Anonymousreply 183July 10, 2019 6:11 PM

She holds the record for most Golden Raspberry Awards for an actress.

by Anonymousreply 184July 10, 2019 6:23 PM

Acting was never her calling. At least "Who's that Girl" was a big joke and nothing to take serious (plus she made some excellent soundtrack songs). But as usual with her, she takes herself wayyy too seriously. She was excellent though on her deathbed in "Evita". Her career and legacy would probably be bigger if she didn't spend so much time and energy on movies (and directing them now). Oh well, it is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 185July 10, 2019 6:30 PM

I grew up middle of nowhere in Colorado so let's just say I was no film critic at age 10 or whatever and it was a big deal to drive into Denver to see a movie.

That bitch ruined Dick Tracy for me. It was the first time I sort of "noticed" truly bad acting for what it is, and I was appalled.

by Anonymousreply 186July 10, 2019 6:33 PM

Who's that Girl might have been halfway decent had she played it like Desperately Seeking Susan. Instead, she makes it unwatchable with that awful mugging and accent.

by Anonymousreply 187July 10, 2019 6:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!